Mercedes-Benz: E-Class News

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:15 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
^I saw an R-class AMG once.. I thought it was just a minivan until he came past and it sounded like nascar
Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
^^Okay, seriously, what's with all these super-wagons lately? The CTS-V Wagon, the M5 Wagon, the Audi RS6 Avant Wagon, this MB AMG Wagon...I mean how fast does one need to drive to get the groceries!?
The AMG Estate along with the RS Estates are the OG grocery getters/sleepers..and coincidently, still my two favorite.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...ROIT/121219948

Mercedes-Benz has lifted the veil on a facelifted version of the E-class, revealing revised styling, updated engines and a higher level of standard equipment, safety features and hi-tech options.

The changes, described as the most significant of any "facelifted" model in the company's long history, are part of efforts to improve the traditional luxury sedan and wagon's competitiveness in the face of stiff German luxury-car opposition.

The heavily revised E-class is set to get its first public outing in January at the Detroit auto show, with the first North American deliveries slated to begin in the spring. Pricing has not been announced, but Mercedes officials suggest there won't be much change from today's model.

The major thrust of Mercedes's efforts to lift the appeal of the E-class centers on its styling, which has been altered more significantly than is usual for a mid-life facelift, most notably at the front. Gone is the quad headlamp treatment that has been a key design feature of every E-class model since 1995. It is replaced by a more conventional appearance with more prominent single assembly headlamps boasting LED daytime running lights as standard.

Further changes have been made to the grille. As with the smaller and more affordable C-class, there are now two variants for the E-class: an overtly sporting option and a more traditional chromed unit depending on the trim level. Both come integrated into a newly shaped bumper offering improved cooling efficiency for the engine bay and a lightly altered hood.

Toward the rear, the heavy-structured wheel arches have been smoothed out to give the car a more cohesive appearance. A crease line now runs from the rear door through to the taillights, which retain the same shape but receive new LED-imbued graphics whose horizontal emphasis is meant to widen the car visually. There is also a re-profiled rear bumper.

The reworked E-class will be produced at Mercedes-Benz's plant in Sindelfingen, Germany.

The engine lineup starts with a 3.5-liter V6 with 302 hp in the E350 as the base gasoline mill. Crowning the portfolio is the twin-turbocharged 5.5-liter V8 engine in the yet-to-be-revealed facelifted E63 AMG. It will get incremental increases compared with the present ratings, and the details are expected to be confirmed when the performance sedan makes its public premiere with the rest of the E-class lineup at the Detroit show.

Also available in North America will be the E250 Bluetec diesel rated at 190 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque.

A hybrid model, the gasoline-electric E400, uses the E350's 302-hp naturally aspirated 3.5-liter V6 working in concert with a 27-hp electric motor. The E550 4Matic runs a 402-hp 5.5-liter V8.

A seven-speed automatic with revised software and mechanical updates will be standard equipment.

All models destined for North America retain standard rear-wheel drive, although the E350, E550, E250 Bluetec and E63 AMG can be had with optional 4Matic all-wheel drive.

Safety features include collision-prevention assist, a radar-based collision warning system with the ability to brake the car to reduce the severity of an impact, and a revised version of attention assist, which is now able to warn of drowsiness across a wider speed range.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Race Director

Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Race Director

Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Race Director

Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Race Director

If I was buying in this range and needed more room I so much more want this wagon than any of their SUVs.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
If I was buying in this range and needed more room I so much more want this wagon than any of their SUVs.
Always liked the E wagons, especially the AMG Wagon
First E-class since....96? without the split headlights. Looks nice.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
looks like the previous turn-of-the-decade modernization was a fail. the outgoing sharply cut, boxy facade didnt win over the E-Class demographic. its as if MB's evolution skipped a beat, and is going back to its roots, refined elegance, a la the ~2000 S-Class design. this will be forever apparent in the historical E-Class line-up.

no different than what happened ~5 years ago with Bangled 5-Series. apparent trial and error fail.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 12-13-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
These headlights with the LED's is getting out of hand.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
looks like the previous turn-of-the-decade modernization was a fail. the outgoing sharply cut, boxy facade didnt win over the E-Class demographic.
...no different than what happened ~5 years ago with Bangled 5-Series. apparent trial and error fail.
I hate the prominent wheel arches over the current gen E-class and S-class cars almost as much as I detest the [bungled] Bangle-styled BMW 5-, 6- and 7- series.

Those rounded wheel arches made no sense in the context of the body lines on the rest of the E- and S- classes, so it's gratifying to see them disappear.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
IMO it actually looks pretty bland.....especially the rear and the side....
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,961 Likes on 5,137 Posts
I think it looks horrible, and I don't it's a return to any roots. It looks like they rounded out the front and rear of the previous (boxy) model. Interior looks like ass, look at that center console. It's an embarrassment for a modern German luxury sedan. I stopped following E-class after the boxy model update, so I don't know what that model's interior looked like, for comparison.

my friend picked up a mint silver 2005 E55 with panoramic roof recently and that car is just fricking GORGEOUS. I miss the classic looking cars of old, all of these current generation cars are dirty spots in the company's lineage. Alright, I've said my piece lol.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,961 Likes on 5,137 Posts
Also I think MB's accents on the side-view mirrors are tacky as F*CK and I have no idea what they are doing with that crap. This goes for a wide number of models.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I like this a lot. I'm getting tired of the swoopy/curvy designs. Give me a boxy luxo-sedan any day. With that said, MB has gots to change up that dated looking interior.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I think there are better options at the price point than the E-Class.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
went from liking to striking to something id expect from hyundai

ew. only the wagon looks nice with the lip spoiler
Old 12-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
Also I think MB's accents on the side-view mirrors are tacky as F*CK and I have no idea what they are doing with that crap. This goes for a wide number of models.
^^^This. I keep wondering what they are doing every time I see those mirrors on an MB.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ They are a bit odd to say the least.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM
brahs be jelly

I don't like it yet I don't hate it. Struggling to come up with any emotions. It looks like something my grandpa would drive if he were still alive today.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Glad to see I'm not alone in having a "meh" reaction to this. It's not a bad looking car, I just think the outgoing model looks better.

As an aside, can someone hide all the LED light strips from automotive design departments? It's honestly getting ridiculous, first the 4 Series coupe's mangled "angel eyes" and now this?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
The E-Class feels like the Camry of this segment. Not exciting, pretty ho hum, but it usually tops the sales charts.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I love the E-Class wagons!

Now, if anyone complains about Acura's center console design with too many buttons, please take a look at the MB interior designs - they go much crazier with these buttons and yet now one seems to be complaining about MB!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by ostrich

Now, if anyone complains about Acura's center console design with too many buttons, please take a look at the MB interior designs - they go much crazier with these buttons and yet now one seems to be complaining about MB!!!
Please don't be the guy that brings up Acura in threads that aren't about Acura.

Besides we have eight of those guys already
Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,873 Likes on 3,487 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich

Looks good to me, in fact it looks like what will replace my 530xi T as BMW obviously doesn't make a wagon any more-just that butt ass ugly GT.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,648 Likes on 13,889 Posts
Post 2013 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Press release...

With new, efficient engines, new assistance systems and a new design idiom, Mercedes-Benz has comprehensively modernised the E-Class to extend its leading position in the luxury segment even further. In both the Saloon and Estate models no less than eleven new or optimised assistance systems from the future S-Class celebrate their world premiere. They combine a host of comfort and safety features, all of which Mercedes-Benz refers to as "intelligent drive". They include systems which for the first time can help to prevent accidents with crossing vehicles or pedestrians, active Lane Keeping Assist which can help to prevent accidents with oncoming traffic, or anti-glare continuous high-beam headlamps. As such Mercedes-Benz is underscoring its leading position as a safety pioneer. The new E-Class makes a significant step forward when it comes to efficiency and ecology too. This comes courtesy of new, powerful BlueDIRECT four-cylinder petrol engines featuring sophisticated direct injection technology. This powerful development boost is reflected to exciting effect in the design of the E-Class. With its new design the E-Class encapsulates efficiency, intelligence and emotional appeal in a visually superior manner.

Mercedes-Benz has revised all of the model series of the E-Class more comprehensively than ever before, to make the latest technical advances available in practice at an early stage. This is why it even makes advance use of developments from the future S-Class. In addition, the new E-Class offers a considerably sharpened design with a cultivated, elegantly sporty look, as well as significantly enhanced comfort, high-quality appointments, efficiency and driving pleasure. As a result, the E-Class is continuing to consolidate its leading position in the luxury class.

According to Dr Joachim Schmidt, Board Member of Mercedes-Benz Cars, responsible for Sales and Marketing: "With the new E-Class we are setting down clear markers in the areas of safety, design and efficiency. It brings lots of technical innovations to the road and is without doubt the best E-Class ever. This is also reflected in its design and lovingly revised interior. As a result it brings a breath of fresh air to the luxury class. The "E" therefore continues to stand for the leading position in this demanding segment."

Design: two new front-end designs to choose from

The E-Class features a new front-end design as well as new proportions through intelligent changes. When it came to the modifications, the designers followed the new Mercedes design idiom and reinterpreted the classical design values of the brand using the existing basis. The result is a superior and refined, sporty appearance.

The front has been completely revised with new headlamps, which comprise all functional elements with a single headlamp lens. Flowing light elements within the headlamps help to ensure that the "four-eyed" look which is typical of the E-Class has been graphically retained. In terms of light and sight the E-Class sets a measuring bar: The dipped beam as well as the day-time headlamps are fitted with partial LED lights as standard, while full LED headlamps are available for the first time in this class as an option.

For the first time, the E-Class is available with two different front-end designs: in the standard version, the basic variant and ELEGANCE equipment line are combined with the classic Saloon grille with 3-louvre look and star on the bonnet. The AVANTGARDE line, meanwhile, incorporates the sports car radiator with central star, and as such offers an independent front-end look with a sporty emphasis.

The bonnet and front bumper have also been completely redesigned too. With its flowing lines, the bonnet follows the new design idiom in a smooth, very straightforward manner. The bumper, which boasts a new shape and is free of all light functions, has a modern appearance and, along with the wing design of its spoiler lip, discreetly underscores the sporty credentials of the E-Class.

Dynamic, elegant proportions

A new feature line and a repositioned three-dimensional trim strip give both the Saloon and Estate models new, visually exciting proportions. The feature line runs below the structure line from the rear door through to the tail light. Visually this benefits the vehicle in terms of length. It underscores the side trim, which has been shifted downwards. Overall the E-Class looks more elongated and elegant, yet at the same time both dynamic and composed.

Broad, distinctive rear end

At the rear, the lights and bumper have been revised. The new horizontally structured LED tail lights with new two-tone look emphasise the width and feature a characteristic night design.

High-grade interior

The interior of the E-Class has also been visible reworked and harmonised with the expressive exterior. High-quality materials and refined, subdivided areas with precise joints and sharp curves underscore the high-quality overall impression of the generous interior.

A new feature is the two-part trim which stretches across the entire dashboard. It can be selected in a wood or aluminium look, irrespective of the equipment line. Also new the design of the air vents as well as an analogue clock between the two central air vents.

The harmonious interior is characterised by the redesigned centre console without selector lever, as well as a new multifunction steering wheel with DIRECT SELECT lever and shift paddles in conjunction with automatic transmission.

Limitless individual appointments

As ever, there are attractive design packages to visually enhance both the interior and exterior. In addition to the basic appointments, there is also a choice of ELEGANCE and AVANTGARDE equipment lines – with the latter highlighting the sporty character of the Saloon and Estate models in particular.

Furthermore, the new E-Class offers a variety of individualisation options, currently unique in this class. Irrespective of the chosen equipment line, all appointment options remain available. As such each vehicle can be individually tailored to ensure that it is unlike any other. For example, an E-Class Saloon or Estate can be totally classic on the outside, but display a highly modern character on the inside.

"Intelligent drive" with new assistance systems

What started with PRE-SAFE®and continued with DISTRONIC PLUS has resulted in a new dimension of motoring at Mercedes-Benz: comfort and safety are merged into one. Mercedes-Benz refers to this as "intelligent drive". In the E-Class a whole host of new or optimised systems from the future S-Class celebrate their world premiere, making motoring more comfortable and safer.

The basis for all this is formed by new, state-of-the-art sensors and appropriate algorithms. Mercedes-Benz has made a major step forward with the introduction of the Stereo Multi-Purpose Camera. Just like the Mono Multi-Purpose Camera fitted previously, it is positioned behind the windscreen in the vicinity of the rear-view mirror. However, this camera features two "eyes" set at an angle of 45 degrees and with an overall range of 500 metres that produce a three-dimensional view of the area up to around 50 metres in front of the vehicle. In this way, the stereo camera provides data for processing by various systems. Intelligent algorithms perform an evaluation of this three-dimensional visual information in order to detect and carry out a classification, both spatially and in terms of their movement, of vehicles that are driving ahead, oncoming or crossing, as well as pedestrians and a variety of traffic signs within a large field of vision.

At the same time, along with the Stereo Multi-Purpose Camera, Mercedes-Benz is also introducing enhanced versions of the multistage radar sensor system.

As standard, both the Saloon and Estate models are fitted with COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST, a radar-based collision warning system with adaptive brake assist systems. It helps to significantly reduce the risk of a rear-end collision. Also forming part of the standard equipment is ATTENTION ASSIST, which is now able to warn of inattentiveness and drowsiness across a wider speed range, and also inform the driver about his level of fatigue and the amount of driving time which has elapsed since the last break. It also offers an adjustable sensitivity level.

In addition, also optionally available are a number of assistance systems which are either new or now feature significantly extended functions. The following is an overview of the innovations:

• DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist can help to take the burden off the driver when it comes to keeping the vehicle in its lane and also track traffic in tailbacks semi-automatically

• for the first time, the Brake Assist system BAS PLUS with Junction Assist is able to detect crossing traffic and pedestrians too, and boost the braking power applied by the driver accordingly

• the PRE-SAFE® Brake can detect pedestrians and initiate autonomous braking to avoid a collision at speeds up to 50 km/h

• PRE-SAFE® PLUS can recognise an imminent rear-end collision. The driver of the vehicle following behind is warned by activation of the rear warning lights with increasing frequency (not in the USA and Canada). The PRE-SAFE® system then triggers occupant protection measures to reduce the forces to which occupants are subjected. It can also firmly apply the stationary vehicle's brakes in the event of a rear-end collision to prevent secondary accidents

• Active Lane Keeping Assist can now detect when the adjacent lane is occupied, including detection of oncoming traffic. When there is the risk of a collision, the system can also prevent the vehicle from leaving its lane unintentionally, when continuous lines are present, by applying the brakes on one side. As such it makes the ideal supplement to Active Blind Spot Assist

• Adaptive Highbeam Assist PLUS allows the main-beam headlamps to be kept on permanently without dazzling traffic by masking out other vehicles in the beams' cone of light

• Active Parking Assist enables automated parking with active steering and brake control in both parallel and end-on spaces

• in addition to speed limits, Traffic Sign Assist can now also detect and display no-overtaking zones and the respective signs signalling their end. In the case of signs imposing access restrictions, it can also provide visual and acoustic warnings

• the 360-degree camera covers all four sides of the vehicle, thus enabling a uniform all-round view, including virtual bird's eye view – a top-down view of the vehicle and its immediate surroundings. Dynamic guide lines help with entering and leaving parking spaces as well as manoeuvring

Engine and drive system: superior performance, economical consumption

Both the E-Class Saloon and Estate are available with a particularly broad range of powerful and efficient petrol and diesel engines. All are fitted with ECO start/stop system and are highly efficient.
A new element is the expansion of the BlueDIRECT petrol engine family with the addition of a four-cylinder petrol engine with spray-guided direct injection, based on the same trend-setting technology used in the latest generation of six and eight-cylinder engines from Mercedes-Benz. Its technology package includes fast-acting piezo injectors for multiple injection, quick multi-spark ignition, turbocharging, fully variable camshaft adjustment on the inlet and exhaust side, as well as a controlled oil pump.

New developments for the four-cylinder engine include the first dynamic balancer with full anti-friction bearings to be used in a petrol engine as well as a switchable water pump.

The engine also sees the world's first use of the stratified lean burn process in combination with exhaust-gas turbocharging and external high-pressure exhaust gas recirculation. As a result the E-Class achieves a combined optimum consumption figure of 5.8 litres per 100 km (corresponding to 135 g/km CO2), and is therefore the only vehicle in this class to achieve efficiency class A. In addition, the new BlueDIRECT four-cylinder petrol engines already meet the EU6 standard which will apply from 2015.

Also making up the BlueDIRECT petrol engine range are the familiar V6 and V8 engines. A new addition is the six-cylinder engine, which is being offered for the first time as the E 400 with biturbo drive. With its performance potential and enormously high levels of torque at low engine speeds, this engine sets new standards in the six-cylinder sector and also meets the EU6 emissions level.

All BlueDIRECT petrol engines of the new E-Class combine a spontaneous response and exemplary power delivery with the highest levels of efficiency and best-in-class emissions performance.

Powerful diesel engines in the best efficiency class

Some of the diesel models of the E-Class are available as BlueTEC models fitted with the established SCR (selective catalytic reduction) technology and as such meet the EU6 emissions standard.

The comprehensive engine range is supplemented with the E 300 BlueTEC HYBRID. It combines the four-cylinder diesel engine with an electric motor, thereby producing a system output of 170 kW (231 hp) and 750 Nm of torque. The E 300 BlueTEC HYBRID consumes 4.1 l/100 km and produces CO2 emissions of 107 g/km. As such it occupies the leading position among the most economical models in the upper medium-size category.

Transmissions for a dynamic and economical driving style

Mercedes-Benz will also offer two transmissions for the E-Class in the future: a 6-speed manual transmission with high ease of shifting and short shift travel, and the 7G-TRONIC PLUS automatic transmission with DIRECT SELECT lever and DIRECT SELECT shift paddles. This latest stage of evolution of the 7G-TRONIC PLUS provides significant advantages in terms of efficiency and ease of maintenance.

A new feature is the short-term M mode. The benefit of this: if the driver has shifted up or down manually, after a set period of time the transmission independently switches back to automatic, fuel-efficient shift mode.

Traction and driving stability can also be improved in the new E-Class with the 4MATIC all-wheel drive system - particularly in difficult road conditions.

The suspension – the basis for superior handling

For the new E-Class, Mercedes-Benz is offering four suspension configurations:

• configured for comfort, the DIRECT CONTROL suspension with selective damping system is the standard version for the base model and the ELEGANCE line
• the sportily configured DIRECT CONTROL suspension with selective damping system is positioned 15 mm lower and installed as the standard version for the AVANTGARDE line
• the lowered sports suspension is available in conjunction with the Exterior Sports package and AMG Sports package
• the AIRMATIC air suspension with electronically controlled damping system is fitted as standard to the V8 models. The Estate is basically fitted with air suspension with integrated level control system on the rear axle

All suspension variants feature outstanding sensitivity and ride characteristics and help to ensure a high level of handling safety:

All of the models of the E-Class family will in future be fitted with an electromechanical Direct-Steer system as standard. This combines the speed-dependent power assistance of speed-sensitive steering with a variable ratio across the steering angle range. The rack and pinion steering gear is controlled on-demand and therefore contributes towards efficiency.

Advantages of the electromechanical Direct-Steer system:

• improved agility thanks to more direct steering response
• comfortable handling and high levels of steering comfort across all speed ranges
• considerable savings potential, since energy is only required when steering occurs
• enables the use of innovative assistance systems, e.g. Active Parking Assist

High-quality appointments

The new E-Class is already fitted with a comprehensive series of high-quality appointments as standard. The new optional highlights, meanwhile, include HANDS-FREE ACCESS. This enables the boot lid to be opened and closed without actual physical contact by simply holding your foot beneath the bumper, and is therefore extremely convenient when loading and unloading the vehicle.

A modern range of infotainment systems helps to keep the driver up to date while on the road in terms of what is happening around the world or in the office. The systems also enable music to be enjoyed or also optionally offer powerful navigation solutions as well as an internet connection.The E-Class Saloon and Estate both come as standard with the Audio 20 CD Radio. It features a twin tuner and mp3-capable CD player as well as a USB connection in the centre armrest. The TFT colour display measures 14.7 cm diagonally. Bluetooth®-capable devices can also be connected, and SMS text messages displayed.

Optionally the Audio 20 CD can be combined with a six-disc CD changer as well as the reasonably-priced, entry-level Becker®MAP PILOT navigation solution, which can also be retrofitted.
Alternatively, Mercedes-Benz offers the COMAND Online multimedia system for the E-Class with 17.8 cm high-resolution colour display, internet connection, hard-disc navigation and emergency call feature, which can also be combined with a six-disc DVD changer. COMAND Online provides internet access enabling customers to surf the web while the car is stationary or call up a Mercedes-Benz app, whose particularly fast page loading and simple operation make it suitable for use while driving. Integrated apps include Google™ Local Search and Weather and the facility for downloading a route which has previously been configured on a PC using Google Maps and transmitted to the car. In addition, apps for Google™ Streetview as well as Google™ Panoramio and other apps are also available.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,648 Likes on 13,889 Posts

Old 12-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
Meh
Old 12-20-2012, 04:11 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Never liked the current E Class b/c the front fascia was overly busy while the rest (side/greenhouse and rear) was overly generic/plain (as if different designers penned the front and the side/rear).

But the new front fascia is even worse.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,873 Likes on 3,487 Posts
I wanna diesel estate awd, preferably with a manual NOT red MBZ/Audi/BMW do not make a good red and it doesn't belong on their sedans/estate cars.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 PM
A-TSX Oldie

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
^^^ +1. Don't really mind the red, but yes please to the manual estates.

I must be getting old. I actually find the interior with the wood trim quite nice.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I like wood in cars too, and I like the wood here, but that interior design is so dated nowadays.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Dat wagon

I really wish they would get rid of the phone-styled number keypad on the dash. It adds a lot of unnecessary clutter
Old 01-10-2013, 12:55 PM
brahs be jelly

So this and the CLS63 are now AWD only in N. America. I guess they think we can't drive. They have an AMG Type S now (you can see the badge on the wagon)

Quick Reference:
Availability: Summer 2013

Models/Performance:
• E63 AMG 4MATIC Sedan: AMG biturbo 5.5-liter V8 (550 hp, 531 lb-ft)
• E63 AMG S-Model 4MATIC Sedan: AMG biturbo 5.5-liter V8 (577 hp, 590 lb-ft)
• E63 AMG S-Model 4MATIC Wagon: AMG biturbo 5.5-liter V8 (577 hp, 590 lb-ft)

New Standard Feature Highlights:
• Performance-oriented 4MATIC all-wheel-drive (33/67 power distribution)
• Power Increase (+32 hp, +15 lb-ft)
• Redesigned exterior with integrated star and AMG twin-blade radiator grille
• All-LED Headlights
• COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST
• ATTENTION ASSIST 2.0

New Optional Feature Highlights:
• S-Model Configuration
• Power Increase (+27 hp, +59 lb-ft)
• Limited slip rear differential
• 10-Spoke AMG Matte Titanium Grey alloy wheels with high-sheen rim flanges
• High-gloss black "A-wing"
• Red Brake Calipers
• Contrast stitching on seats, door trim, armrests and center console
• Silver seat belts (black interior only)
• Alcantara steering wheel grips
• 'S' badging on trunk and speedometer
• AMG Carbon Fiber Engine Cover
• Carbon Fiber Exterior Styling Package
• Forged twin 5-spoke 19" wheel
• Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG High-End Surround-Sound System

Last edited by MTEAZY; 01-10-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
brahs be jelly

With an acceleration time of 3.5 seconds for the sprint from rest to 60 mph, the S-Model of the E63 AMG 4MATIC holds an undisputed top position in the competitive environment; the electronically limited top speed is 186 mph. In addition to the power increase, the performance-oriented AMG all-wheel-drive system 4MATIC with a power distribution of 33 to 67 percent (front/rear axle) is also a major factor. Perfect traction during acceleration effectively prevents any losses due to wheel slip.

On the new S-Model the AMG 5.5-liter V8 Biturbo engine produces a peak power output of 577 hp and delivers a peak torque of 590 lb-ft – an increase by 27 hp over the previously available AMG Performance package option. The increase in performance and power is made possible by modifications to the engine management system, an increase in the peak injection pressure and a hike in maximum boost pressure from 13.0 to 14.5 psi. The base model also adds 32 hp and 15 lb-ft and now produces 550 hp of power and a peak torque of 531 lb-ft.

Despite the added power and improved performance all E63 AMG 4MATIC models deliver high efficiency, low fuel consumption and low emissions. The AMG 5.5-liter V8 Biturbo engine is still the most efficient series-production V8 engine in its performance segment – and that with significantly more displacement than the direct competitors.

AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission for a personal setup
Maximum individuality and custom-tailored dynamics are the strengths of the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission. Four drive programs, "C" (Controlled Efficiency), "S" (Sport), "S+" (Sport plus) and "M" (Manual), provide each driver with a personal setup. In "C" mode the ECO start/stop function is active and shuts off the eight-cylinder engine when the car is at a standstill. In addition, the driver experiences smooth transmission characteristics with comfortable and early gearshifts. In "C" mode the car generally starts in second gear.

In the "S", "S+" and "M" transmission modes the engine and transmission are significantly more agile and the ECO start/stop function is deactivated. Perfectly tailored to a spirited driving style is the partial suppression of the cylinders. A brief and precisely defined retardation of ignition and injection under open throttle results in even faster gearshifts and a more aggressive exhaust note. An automatic rev-matching function for downshifts and the RACE START function are also part of the standard features of the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission.

Performance-oriented all-wheel-drive system 4MATIC for maximum dynamics
The performance-oriented all-wheel-drive system sends 33 percent of the engine torque to the front and 67 percent to the rear axle. The rear-biased torque split ensures the high level of vehicle dynamics typical of AMG and maximum driving pleasure. The three-stage ESP® system is specifically calibrated to the permanent all-wheel-drive system. In "Sport Handling" mode the Torque Vectoring Brake applies the brakes to selected wheels in the interest of supreme agility: As a result, unwelcome understeer is prevented.

During cornering a targeted brief brake intervention on the inside rear wheel affects a defined turn-in of the vehicle.

The standard AMG all-wheel-drive system 4MATIC improves road safety and traction on wet or wintery roads. Optimal traction is ensured by a multi-plate clutch with a locking force of 37 lb-ft, which increases road adhesion particularly on ice and snow.

The technical basis is a transfer case for the additional power take-off to the driven front axle. It is integrated into the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission with minimum additional space requirements. The torque is transferred by the power take-off to the front axle via a drive shaft. The power from the front differential is transferred to the left half shaft by an intermediate shaft that runs in a sealed shaft tunnel in the engine oil pan. This compact and weight-optimized design results in a comparatively low added weight of just 154 lbs for the all-wheel-drive components.

E63 AMG S-Model 4MATIC with limited-slip rear differential
Mercedes-AMG goes even one step further on the E63 AMG S-Model 4MATIC. In keeping with its philosophy of "Driving Performance" the most powerful E-Class is equipped with a limited-slip rear differential. This high-tech package increases traction even further. The effect: Even better vehicle dynamics and more driving pleasure, in particular on the racetrack.

All 2014 E63 AMG 4MATIC models are equipped with the AMG Adaptive sports suspension with electronically controlled damping system. The front axle features a steel suspension, the rear axle an all-air suspension system. A push of the button with the shock absorber symbol in the AMG DRIVE UNIT is all it takes to switch the electronics from "Comfort" to "Sport" or "Sport plus." In conjunction with newly developed aluminum axle components this results in significantly more grip and agility while maintaining the vehicle's neutral handling during fast cornering. The S-Model's elastokinematics were perfectly tuned for performance and offer the driver optimal neutral handling at the limit as well as better feedback and grip. The E63 AMG 4MATIC's track on the front axle is 1.9 inches wider than the standard E-Class sedan and offers significantly better stability at high cornering speeds and better road feel. A more negative camber on both axles additionally improves lateral dynamics.

The perfect complement is the electromechanical AMG sports speed-sensitive steering. In conjunction with the variable power assist dependent on the selected suspension mode, the direct steering ratio of 14 : 1 provides particularly agile cornering capabilities. The 2014 E63 AMG 4MATIC features high-sheen 10-spoke AMG alloys painted titanium gray as standard. The front axle features tires in size 255/35 R 19 (front) and 285/30 R 19 (rear) on AMG alloys in size 9.0 x 19 and 9.5 x 19. Only the powerful S-Model comes with 10-spoke alloys painted in matte titanium gray with high-sheen rim flanges.

AMG carbon ceramic high-performance braking system available as an option
As of course with all AMG cars, the 2014 E63 AMG 4MATIC also comes with an ultra-powerful AMG high-performance brake system. Vented and cross-drilled brake discs with a generous 14.2 in. diameter are fitted front and rear. Because of the special stresses they face, the front discs feature compound (two-piece) technology that has been tried and tested in motor racing. Brake calipers painted silver with white AMG lettering and six pistons (front) and four pistons (rear) provide responsive, fade-resistant deceleration and shortest stopping distances. The S-Model can be additionally identified by red brake calipers.

AMG carbon ceramic high-performance brakes are available as an option exclusively on the S-Model – recognizable thanks to even bigger brake discs with a diameter of 15.8 in. and the "AMG Carbon Ceramic" logo on the specially painted brake calipers. Their advantages: The discs are 40 percent lighter, reducing the unsprung masses and improving vehicle dynamics, agility and ride comfort. The ceramic discs are also much harder, resulting in an extended service life and in increased resistance to extreme loads and heat.

S-Model with even more striking design features
The 2014 E63 AMG S-Model 4MATIC differs from the base model in numerous restyled and even more striking design features. The "A-wing" in the front has a black high-gloss finish; the front splitter and the striking three-dimensional inserts of the side skirts sport a silver-chrome design. The silver-chrome trim strip and the two unmistakable dual tailpipes of the AMG sport exhaust system provide a powerful effect in the rear. The AMG separation edge painted in body color (sedan only) reduces lift at high speeds.

The 10-spoke AMG alloys, painted matte titanium gray and featuring high sheen rim flanges, and the large tires in sizes 255/35 R 19 in front and 285/30 R 19 in the rear fill out the wheel wells perfectly. Red brake calipers and an AMG logo with contrasting black "S" on the trunk lid are further features of the S-Models.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

WHOA!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

AWD only is to compete with Audi and differentiate from BMW, I guess.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
New 2014 E class coupe:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/04/m...and-convertib/

Last edited by Brandon24pdx; 01-12-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
I'm a fan of the update.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
anyone else annoyed by the fact that theres any AMG...type S

whats next? BMW M RS...AUDI RS5 R TYPE S MODEL?

C63 AMG BLACK S

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: E-Class News