Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Diff cooling?

Old 07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I saw a new E class on the road today. in person the rear doesn't even remind you of the Hyundai. The car looks much better in the flesh. You can tell it's flatter and wider than the outgoing E Class.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
I saw a new E class on the road today. in person the rear doesn't even remind you of the Hyundai. The car looks much better in the flesh. You can tell it's flatter and wider than the outgoing E Class.
i hated it in pictures but after seeing in on the road i think it looks great.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
i hated it in pictures but after seeing in on the road i think it looks great.
I don't know - I saw one months ago here and it didn't do anything for me. The chiseled look just didn't seem in line with MB - I like the classier lines of the previous gen.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:40 AM
Kang Ho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang the front looks hot! Mixed feeling about the rear.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Pro

I think sedan is alright but the E-coupe is . I saw one on the road and it looked large and awkward.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by phil2

In the words of Llyod Christmas, "I like it uhh lot"

Old 07-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Racer

LOL, look at all these guys changing their opinions. If you go to page 8, almost everyone hated this new MB. But now, they all changed their mind. While, I was the only one who said this car looked very nice from the very start.

Talk about having a heart like a women, they move in a direction wherever the wind blows.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Oh Please get over yourself.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by msl82
LOL, look at all these guys changing their opinions. If you go to page 8, almost everyone hated this new MB. But now, they all changed their mind. While, I was the only one who said this car looked very nice from the very start.

Talk about having a heart like a women, they move in a direction wherever the wind blows.
Ummm, from what I can tell, most people like the AMG version and not the base model. That's not changing their opinion, that's forming a new opinion of a new model. And to be honest, although I didn't post about it, I didn't like the base model either, but am ing over the AMG version.

Get off the
Old 07-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes slashes MSRP on new E.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2009...class-pricing/

I have not been a fan of MB for quite some time. But the reliability has been recovering over these last couple years and now they just rolled out the new E with a big price cut.

Went to drive/see the 09 E350's recently and wasn't impressed even with the 10K dealer cash. But I didn't notice the price drop on the 2010's until today. Doing a "Build" on the MB website confirms the car price has dropped about $6000. You can get an E350 now mostly loaded for about $56k. This leaves an equivalent 535 way more. Interesting to see what BMW does.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I wonder what will happen when one day $1=1 Euro. which can happen.
Surely we will be getting these cars in high 30s. Japanese will have serious problem.
Also E350 has less performance than A6 3.0T & BMW 535.
u can get A6 3.0T AWD for $56K loaded. Car is bigger and more brute looking.
MB has low profile with litte ground clearance.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Shocking that we don't have an E class thread!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Advanced

I drove the 3.0T and it for sure get's my vote. I had all four tires fighting for grip going around a corner. All power all the time...maybe next year.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
I wonder what will happen when one day $1=1 Euro. which can happen.
Surely we will be getting these cars in high 30s. Japanese will have serious problem.
Also E350 has less performance than A6 3.0T & BMW 535.
u can get A6 3.0T AWD for $56K loaded. Car is bigger and more brute looking.
MB has low profile with litte ground clearance.

I agree. If BMW and Audi respond to this price drop (and we start getting a shift in pricing on the European brands) it will get the attention of the big three in Japan. A devaluing of the Euro will only make it worse for Japan. "Value" is Asia's biggest selling point. Reliability is not as much a distinguishing factor anymore.

By the way, am I an idiot and the only one that missed this significant turn of events in pricing at MB? That article I quoted was from April. I scanned Azine for a thread on this and found none. I was seriously considering an 09 E350 leftover with the $10k dealer money being offered. With this new info, I realize the $10k is no where near enough now. I suspect these 09 leftovers will be going for $20k under MSRP before the summer is up.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:45 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
The looks are looking so good for this new E. The previous gen which I have looks far more classy. The rear end looks so Korean.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:52 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
what do you guys think of the new E class Coupe..?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I agree. If BMW and Audi respond to this price drop (and we start getting a shift in pricing on the European brands) it will get the attention of the big three in Japan. A devaluing of the Euro will only make it worse for Japan. "Value" is Asia's biggest selling point. Reliability is not as much a distinguishing factor anymore.

By the way, am I an idiot and the only one that missed this significant turn of events in pricing at MB? That article I quoted was from April. I scanned Azine for a thread on this and found none. I was seriously considering an 09 E350 leftover with the $10k dealer money being offered. With this new info, I realize the $10k is no where near enough now. I suspect these 09 leftovers will be going for $20k under MSRP before the summer is up.
E350 03-09 is too dated looking. 2010 E350 dont have the performance and looks for $55K car. We have to wait for BMW 535 2010 and Audi A6 2010 how they respond to this price cut. I am sure Audi will add some extra gadgets like 3G MMI to 2010 A6 as 2009 lacks it.
Audi A6 $56K loaded has advantages over RL. blind spot monitoring/LED lights/more cargo capacity. etc.
It is more fuel economic, decidely faster due to linear power delivery. and price difference is less than $5K for comparable equiped.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:09 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I am an Internet Manager for a Benz dealer. The new E indeed had a price reduction. Some of this happened because of some engineering changes (double wishbone front suspension to McPherson Struts), which allowed them to reduce construction costs but Mercedes-Benz has often reduced the MSRP for their vehicles while BMW has constantly increased prices. U.S. prices are the lowest in the world for MB and the warranty is longer than it is anywhere else as well. Mercedes is able to do this because they don't pay for maintenance the way many brands do and because they don't put their residual values artificially high like, for example, BMW does. They also do not offer some of the crazy low interest rates on used cars and, for vehicles like the R Class, they don't offer any lowered money factors.

Mercedes has also de-contented some of their cars, removing the tilting side mirrors in reverse, for example, or on the C Class the power folding side mirrors. The floormats are not as nice as they used to be and some say the dashboard materials are thinner than they once were. The 2010 E Class is also a smaller vehicle than the 2009 model so I assume some money was saved this way, too.

The 2010 E Class also has new, standard features like Brake Dry Assist, Attention Assist, Hip airbags, knee airbag, and Hill Start Assist. Time will tell how the vehicle does and certainly this is a rough time to launch a new car.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Not just a smell

Originally Posted by CL6
...Mercedes is able to do this because they don't pay for maintenance the way many brands do and because they don't put their residual values artificially high like, for example, BMW does...
Well, it looks like BMW did respond to feedback saying their cars are expensive to maintain and crater in value. Guess they were hoping that the typical low neuron count BMW buyer wouldn't notice that they were merely paying for the expensive maintenance upfront in the MSRP. And BMW still has lower residual value than top quality brands like Toyota/Honda group.

As far as the E class is concerned, I looked at one inside a mall a while back (maybe 2009 model?) and noticed heavy orange peel in the paint job and door handles that wiggled too much. I'm thinking some Chrysler virus contaminated the host before it was cut off. At least the badge still looks good.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by wassystyle
I'm really liking it... I love the pillarless (is that what they are called?) windows.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:27 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The only orange peel I've seen has been on cars that have been repainted by the dealerships. I'm sure the car being at a mall had nothing to do with that or the door handles wiggling as you were probably the only person to ever pull them while the car was there.

Originally Posted by Fishy
As far as the E class is concerned, I looked at one inside a mall a while back (maybe 2009 model?) and noticed heavy orange peel in the paint job and door handles that wiggled too much. I'm thinking some Chrysler virus contaminated the host before it was cut off. At least the badge still looks good.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, it looks like BMW did respond to feedback saying their cars are expensive to maintain and crater in value. Guess they were hoping that the typical low neuron count BMW buyer wouldn't notice that they were merely paying for the expensive maintenance upfront in the MSRP. And BMW still has lower residual value than top quality brands like Toyota/Honda group.

Honestly? Did you consider the fact it was repainted?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a lot of new cars today have orange peel. even bentlys and rolls royces. not repainted either.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:48 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX

Audi A6 $56K loaded has advantages over RL. blind spot monitoring/LED lights/more cargo capacity. etc.
It is more fuel economic, decidely faster due to linear power delivery. and price difference is less than $5K for comparable equiped.

Except that the RL still holds the advantage of Honda's excellent reliability.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Not just a smell

Originally Posted by CL6
The only orange peel I've seen has been on cars that have been repainted by the dealerships. I'm sure the car being at a mall had nothing to do with that or the door handles wiggling as you were probably the only person to ever pull them while the car was there.
This was a new (at the time) E on display inside Sherway Mall so I doubt it was repainted nor the handles damaged. The orange peel was most noticable on the quarter panels and the handles as designed just had too much play.

"Brake Dry Assist, Attention Assist,..." Blah, blah, blah. I expect the basics like paint and handles to be top notch in a MB. Point is, god or the devil (your choice) lives in the details and from what I can see, I don't see a difference in the build quality of MB's bread and butter cars to warrant the significant price difference.

Its like the newish B-Class available in Canada. Exactly why is MB making a luxury econobox hatch? Maybe Tier 1 is not such a great place to be?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2009...class-pricing/

I have not been a fan of MB for quite some time. But the reliability has been recovering over these last couple years and now they just rolled out the new E with a big price cut.

Went to drive/see the 09 E350's recently and wasn't impressed even with the 10K dealer cash. But I didn't notice the price drop on the 2010's until today. Doing a "Build" on the MB website confirms the car price has dropped about $6000. You can get an E350 now mostly loaded for about $56k. This leaves an equivalent 535 way more. Interesting to see what BMW does.
Thanks for the update, Mikey...please try doing a search next time for the existing car model thread!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
This was a new (at the time)

Its like the newish B-Class available in Canada. Exactly why is MB making a luxury econobox hatch? Maybe Tier 1 is not such a great place to be?
Because Tier-1 is only a US marketeer invention. Outside of the US folks judge the car by its merits not by the badge, nor other cars in the lineup.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Originally Posted by wassystyle
Wrong thread.

The former CLK (now the E-Class Coupe) thread is in this forum if you do a search!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

All I know is when we have a vehicle to display at a mall they come back thrashed and nasty and we never put the nice cars there because of the abuse they take. If the car was put there by the manufacturer and not by a dealer then they probably put a pre-production model there. If you worked in auto sales then you would know this.

And Acura paint is crap compared to what it should be, especially the Nighthawk Black Pearl. If I had photos of the crappy production quality of the first few years of the 4G TL it would make whatever issues you saw on one car by one manufacturer look like a Patek Philippe watch. I saw one 04 TL where the dashboard had almost a half an inch gap between the cabin.

Mercedes sells all kinds of cars outside the US but domestically they don't sell those vehicles because they are not going for that kind of an image.

If Acura gets to Tier 1 then I guess they will know if it's a great place to be or not but having sold both Acuras and now selling Mercedes I can tell you it is a great place to be.

This was a new (at the time) E on display inside Sherway Mall so I doubt it was repainted nor the handles damaged. The orange peel was most noticable on the quarter panels and the handles as designed just had too much play.

"Brake Dry Assist, Attention Assist,..." Blah, blah, blah. I expect the basics like paint and handles to be top notch in a MB. Point is, god or the devil (your choice) lives in the details and from what I can see, I don't see a difference in the build quality of MB's bread and butter cars to warrant the significant price difference.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Thanks for the update, Mikey...please try doing a search next time for the existing car model thread!
Thanks for merging the threads. I did try to find the "mother thread" but couldn't. Could have tried harder.

FYI: Ran the 09 E350 and 10 E350 through TrueDelta.com Pricing tool and it confirmed what I thought. TrueDelta value comparison showed the 2010 $6500 less expensive with same features. Of course that actually understates it because your talking about current engineering and technology versus 6 year old technology. What's the price of improved ergonomics or a better/faster nav system, improved mpg/hp ratio, etc.?

CL6 said they switched front suspension to a MacPherson setup. Didnt try to confirm that but that would be a small negative for most. It's a 4 door sedan after all. For most its a daily driver not a getaway car.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:25 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

It's right. From what I understand, double wishbone is becoming more and more uncommon. I think MB now uses the same type of suspension BMW does. The last thing 99.99% asks about a new car before they buy is what type of suspension set-up they have.

Interesting website!

CL6 said they switched front suspension to a MacPherson setup. Didnt try to confirm that but that would be a small negative for most. It's a 4 door sedan after all. For most its a daily driver not a getaway car.

Last edited by CL6; 07-27-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by CL6
It's right. From what I understand, double wishbone is becoming more and more uncommon. I think MB now uses the same type of suspension BMW does. The last thing 99.99% asks about a new car before they buy is what type of suspension set-up they have.

Interesting website!
Yes truedelta.com is an excellent site. I use it often for price analysis
Old 07-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
I just saw the new E-class coupes today and quite surprisingly, I love them.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:05 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
They're okay. I think it's a better direction that where BMW is going
Old 07-28-2009, 01:07 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

It's all a pitch to get you to use their lead service I think.

Yes truedelta.com is an excellent site. I use it often for price analysis
Old 07-28-2009, 09:06 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by nokiaman
I just saw the new E-class coupes today and quite surprisingly, I love them.
it's another car that looks better in person than in pictures.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
^ true i was very surprised that I liked it better in person than in pictures. I mean I absolutely hated it in pictures and wondered wtf went wrong with MB designers.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:05 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate leaks out ahead of Frankfurt debut

Although the Frankfurt Motor Show is still a month away, images of the 2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate ("wagon" to us 'Mericans) have leaked out ahead of its official reveal in Germany.

The E-Class Estate joins the thoroughly revised sedan and coupe variants of Merc's mid-sizer and will undoubtedly grow both longer and wider than the outgoing five-door. Although the majority of the interior has been ported over from its siblings, the Estate's party-pieces are its folding rear seats that can be laid flat, a new cargo area nestled within the trunk and a set of rear-facing jump seats bound to make the kiddies car-sick on the Autobahn.

Mercedes' range of four-, six- and eight-cylinder powerplants will carry over from the other Es, including a 204-hp, turbocharged 1.8-liter and a 388-hp 5.5-liter V8. Both rear- and 4Matic all-wheel drive should be available when the E-Class Estate goes on sale in Europe late next month.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/04/2...f-frankfurt-d/

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: E-Class News