Mercedes-Benz: E-Class News

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura

[/CENTER]
When I first saw this picture, I seriously thought this was a pic of copycat from a Chinese car maker and someone was trying to point out its resemblance to the new E class.... but...it IS the new E-class

maybe it'll look better in person.... maybe...

I like the current C-class though
Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
i personally hate the split headlamps on the front of the E class. I think it would look so much better if the headlamps were just widened on each side into a single unit...
Old 03-27-2009, 02:24 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it actually looks like this:
Old 03-27-2009, 12:34 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
disastrous
Old 03-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
[URL="http://www.autoblog.com/photos/detroit-2009-2010-mercedes-benz-e-class/1276970/"]
Ugly! I wouldn't pay $50K+ for that. I'd stick with BMW or Lexus.

----------------
Listening to: Individual Orchestra - 1, 2, 7, 29, 10, 14
via FoxyTunes
Old 03-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Post 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

Press release...

AMG is kicking-off the 2009 driving season with a new superstar: shortly after the launch of the new E-Class, the AMG high-performance brand of Mercedes-Benz Cars presents the new 2010 E63 AMG. This dynamic sports sedan impresses with outstanding performance, thrilling handling characteristics and advanced technology transferred from its sibling, the SL63 AMG high-performance Roadster. The E63 AMG makes its U.S. sales debut in November 2009.

The new E63 AMG distinguishes itself from the standard Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedans with a newly developed AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension with electronically controlled damping, revised front suspension and unique exterior and interior design. At the same time, Mercedes-AMG has achieved a significant reduction in fuel consumption of almost twelve percent for the new E63 AMG, thanks to the precise application of several fuel efficiency improvements. With its unique combination of pioneering driver assistance systems, the E63 AMG further consolidates the brand's leading position in the field of automotive safety.

The AMG 6.3-liter V8-engine in the new E63 AMG develops an output of 518 hp and a 465 lb-ft of torque, matching the outstanding figures for the SL63 AMG. The high-performance Roadster has also transferred its AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission to the new model. This transmission replaces the conventional torque converter through the use of a multi-disc wet start-up clutch. In conjunction with the four individual driving modes, rev-matched shifts and RACE START function, the resulting, direct connection to the powertrain delivers an extremely emotional and high-performance driving experience.

The AMG MCT drive unit is unique in this segment, and provides dramatic performance figures: the E63 AMG accelerates from standstill to 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds, with a top speed of 155 mph (electronically limited). The fast-revving, naturally aspirated engine with a displacement of 6208 cc impresses with its agile responsiveness, muscular power delivery and high redline. The AMG V8 sound is a thrilling partner for mile after mile, while the smooth-running engine guarantees renowned Mercedes long-distance comfort. A newly designed water cooling system ensures maximum endurance even under the enormous dynamic stresses of the racetrack.

Fuel consumption cut by almost twelve percent
Despite 11 hp of additional output versus the preceding model, the E63 AMG showcases several advancements designed to improve fuel efficiency, including on-demand delivery of fuel and alternator management with recuperation of engine power during overrun. In-engine friction is also reduced by the AMG-exclusive twin-wire arc spray coating process used to coat cylinder walls.

The AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission also makes a decisive contribution to fuel economy: a multi-disc wet clutch running in an oil bath replaces the previous torque converter. This unit responds extremely rapidly, directly and without the losses typical of a torque converter transmission thanks to its low rotational inertia. The transmission is equipped with four driving modes: "C" (Controlled Efficiency), "S" (Sport), "S+" (Sport plus) and "M" (Manual), which can be selected using a rotary electronic switch in the AMG DRIVE UNIT. Partial suppression of individual cylinders by interrupting ignition and injection during gearshifts under full load contributes to considerably faster shift times. In M mode the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission allows gearshifts to be performed in 100 milliseconds.

In the even more fuel-efficient driving mode Controlled Efficiency, the transmission shifts the gears with deliberate smoothness, and the transmission control unit is programmed to perform early upshifts to keep engine speeds as low as possible. At the same time, the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission met the most demanding requirements where driving dynamics are concerned: fast and precise multiple downshifts ensure first-class agility in conjunction with the automatic rev-matching and RACE START function: this enables the E63 AMG driver to call on the maximum acceleration potential automatically.

Electronically controlled damping system and a new front axle

Sporty or more comfort-oriented? The driver of the new Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG is not obliged to accept any compromises in this respect. The AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension copes equally well with the dynamic cornering of the racetrack and more comfortable, sedate driving. High performance and typical Mercedes long-distance comfort go together as an extraordinary synthesis in the E63 AMG. This is made possible by the newly developed AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension. While new steel spring struts are used on the front axle, the rear suspension features AMG-specific air springs. The advantage of this solution, which is exclusive to AMG, is that the front spring struts ensure more sensitive responses while the rear air struts with their automatic level control system keep the vehicle at a constant height, irrespective of the load.

A new, electronically controlled damping system automatically varies the damping characteristics according to the driving situation, reducing the roll angle of the body. The result is instant adjustment to provide the best possible ride comfort together with the greatest possible agility. In addition, the driver is able to choose between the three suspension modes of Comfort, Sport and Sport plus at the touch of a button. The E63 AMG is also equipped with a newly developed, unique front axle with a 2.2 inch (56 millimeter) wider track, a tubular stabilizer
bar, new control arms, new wheel bearings, newly-designed bushing geometry and kinematics and new wheel location for more negative camber – thereby providing more grip when taking turns at speed. The AMG-specific kinematics also ensures significantly more precision. This is a highly sophisticated axle design whose principle has already proved its worth in the C63 AMG. The rear axle likewise has more negative camber, optimized elastokinematics and a new subframe mounting for greater stability at the physical limits.

Newly developed power steering and individual 3-stage ESP®

For more direct responsiveness, the speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering is also a new development. The steering ratio of 14 : 1 is 22 percent more direct (quicker) than in the standard production models, while a more rigid steering column plus the reconfigured characteristic mapping of the speed-sensitive servo assistance ensure better steering precision and improved road contact.

The 3-stage ESP® familiar from the SL63 AMG and C63 AMG enables individual settings to be selected – with clear benefits in terms of driving pleasure combined with the same high level of handling safety. The ESP® key in the AMG DRIVE UNIT allows the driver to choose between "ESP ON", "ESP SPORT" and "ESP OFF" – with the currently active mode shown in the central display of the AMG instrument cluster. Perfect deceleration even during performance driving is ensured by the AMG high-performance braking system with 14.2 inch, internally ventilated and perforated brake discs all-round. Particularly resistant, motorsports-tested compound (two-piece) construction technology is used at the front axle. Outstanding grip is ensured by the 18-inch AMG light-alloy wheels with a width of 9 and 9.5 inches and mixed tire sizes of 255/40 R 18 at the front and 285/35 R 18 at the rear.

Decidedly dynamic interior and exterior
The purposefully dynamic design of the E63 AMG is fully in keeping with the vehicle's impressive technology. The front aspect is characterized by 17-millimeter wider fenders bearing "6.3 AMG" lettering, the new AMG front apron
with large intake air apertures and the AMG-specific daytime driving lights in LED technology. In conjunction with the optional Bi-Xenon Headlamps with Active Curve Illumination, the E63 AMG is equipped with tinted main headlamps.

The striking visual presence is further enhanced by the AMG side skirts and AMG rear apron with a black diffuser insert. As a hallmark of the brand, the AMG sports exhaust system has two newly designed, chrome-plated twin tailpipes.

The new interior of the E63 AMG is an exciting blend of high-grade materials and functional sportiness. Exclusive features include electrically adjustable AMG sports seats with improved lateral support and the AMG sports steering wheel in a four-spoke design with AMG shift paddles. As a completely new feature exclusive to the E63 AMG, the AMG selector lever has one-touch logic. Directly adjacent to it in the center console is the AMG DRIVE UNIT, which provides adjustments for the MCT sports transmission, the ESP functions, the suspension setup and the AMG driving modes. Standard equipment also includes high-grade leather upholstery in three different colors, the AMG instrument cluster with an AMG main menu, door entry sills with AMG lettering and a sports pedal cluster – both in brushed stainless steel.

Even more individuality with tailor-made AMG extras

Customers can select the optional AMG Performance Package, which includes the following:
• Lightweight, forged 19-inch AMG light-alloy wheels with size 255/35 R 19
tires at the front and 285/30 R 19 at the rear
• AMG Performance suspension with stiffer spring rates
• AMG rear axle locking differential with 40 percent locking action
• AMG Performance steering wheel in a three-spoke design
• Top speed raised to 186 mph

Active and passive safety at a new level
The E63 AMG traditionally meets the very highest expectations with respect to active and passive safety. Standard features include the new drowsiness detection system ATTENTION ASSIST, the unique preventive occupant protection system PRE-SAFE®, Brake Assist PLUS, eleven airbags and crash-responsive NECK-PRO head restraints. Optional safety features can bring the vehicle to a level unprecedented in this class with Lane Keeping Assist and Blind Spot Assist systems, the PRE-SAFE® Brake with an automatic emergency braking function, Adaptive High Beam Assist and Night View Assist PLUS.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Sounds great in text - a bit less so in pictures.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
I'm not feeling the Camry style taillights but, the car looks to be well executed in general. I've driven the W211 version and felt it to be pretty impressive.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer the w211
Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
I actually like it.....
Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 AM

i think head on shots are best for the car:

i said this when the first pics were released: it's gonna really take some time getting used to it.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7
Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, that looks sick!!! Good job Mercedes...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
The exhaust and the steering wheel are ridiculous.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Moto Enthusiast

This car doesn't look as bad in the AMG guise, but what AMG car doesn't look good? Out of this generation (M5, S6, CTS-V, etc.) I think I still like the Jaguar XFR the best in terms of looks.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Just like the original car, I'm not really impressed. For one thing, I could live with the front fascia, the copied Audi-like LED's try and help out a little in my opinion. Maybe my feelings will change when I see it, but I think the rear is a total mess.

However, credit should be given where it's due, I think that interior is nothing short of breathtaking.(Nice steering wheel)
Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Post No AMG Version...

From Worldcarfans...

An Autocar source has apparently told the UK publication that a replacement for the CLK 63 AMG is not on the cards. Merc has discontinued the name CLK and replaced it with the name E-Class Coupe. If these statements, attributed to a Mercedes-Benz insider are true, then there will be no high-performance E-Class Coupe in the lineup. Nor will there be an E-Class Coupe AMG Black Series.

Since such a car would be based on the bigger E-Class platform rather than the C-Class as the CLK used to be, it would come too close to the next-generation CLS 63 AMG in both positioning and price. That would move it much further away from its primary targets which are the Audi RS 5 and BMW M3 Coupe.

Good news is that one model in the 2011 CLS range which has been spied on a number of occasions, will sport an AMG badge. A possible power source for that car is not the existing 6.3-litre V8 (6208 cc) but a brand new engine. WCF sources at Mercedes-Benz have hinted to a 4.0-litre-plus twin turbo V8 said to produce about 400kW (544hp).

The 2010 E-Class Coupe was unveiled at the 2009 Geneva International Motor Show. A range of petrol and diesel engines are being offered. They include a turbo diesel making 540Nm (398 lb-ft) of torque and a petrol V8 with 285kW (388hp).
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090414....-e-class-coupe
Old 04-15-2009, 10:01 AM

meh.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:57 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
don't care
Old 04-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 CGI Coupe First Drive

Remaking the Mercedes E-Class Coupe
By Andreas Stahl, Contributor Email
Date posted: 04-21-2009

Looking back now, the only question is why the 2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 CGI didn't arrive sooner.

It is hard to figure why the current second-generation Mercedes-Benz CLK managed to sell quite as well as it has. Sure, it has a shiny three-pointed star sitting up front on the grille, but it is based on the humble underpinnings of the C-Class and draws its styling influences for the most part from the previous-generation E-Class, itself no classic in the looks department.

Worldwide sales topped 250,000 in seven years, an outstanding performance. But now that the Audi A5 and BMW 3 Series have begun to encroach on the CLK's turf, Mercedes-Benz has finally responded.

And the 2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 CGI isn't at all like the CLK.

The New Deal
Unwilling to take the CLK into a third generation, Mercedes has replaced its hugely successful two-door with this car, the 2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe. And because it's based upon the recently introduced launched E-Class sedan, it moves this model into a rather more exclusive part of the coupe market where it will line up against a production version of the Audi A7 concept shown earlier this year as well as next year's all-new BMW 6 Series.

It is the 2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 CGI's distinctive styling that clearly represents the most obvious change, as the car adopts cues from the E-Class sedan. But where its four-door stablemate has adopted a stately look in its latest incarnation, the E-Class coupe instantly looks lithe thanks to its edgy, pillarless roof. (There's also a convertible version of this car in the works, but don't expect to see it until this time next year. Like the outgoing CLK cabriolet, the new car features a traditional fabric top.)

Given its upmarket positioning, the E-Class coupe is larger than the old CLK in almost every dimension. Overall length goes up 1.9 inches to 185 inches, while overall width has increased 1.9 inches to 70.3 inches. Despite going up in size, improved production techniques have seen a 27 percent increase in overall structural rigidity of the body. The wheelbase has increased by 1.8 inches to 106.9 inches, while the front track has increased 1.7 inches to 60.6 inches and the rear track has increased a considerable 2.7 inches to 60.8 inches.

More Living Space
The stretched dimensions are put to good use inside the cabin, where accommodations have been enlarged in every dimension. You wouldn't call it palatial, but by the standards of a two-door, there's adequate space for four full-size adults along with a decent amount of luggage space (the trunk's capacity of 15.9 cubic feet puts many dedicated sedans to shame).

The design of the interior draws heavily on that found in the new E-Class sedan, which itself is redolent of that seen in a number of Mercedes-Benz models of late. The excellent seats have been developed specially for the E-Class coupe, and they can be adjusted to a quite low driving position, fittingly sporting for a coupe. Meanwhile, the stretch in wheelbase and width dimensions has also created added space for front-seat occupants. With no B-pillars to block your view, there are no blind spots over your shoulder, although the headrests of the rear seats severely restrict the view out of the rear window.

In the current fashion, there are just two seats in the back, and they're separated by a prominent center console. While benefiting from the added legroom in this new package, rear-seat occupants will find headroom is restricted by the curvature of the roof, which plunges quite dramatically.

Motoring
The rear-wheel-drive E-Class coupe will launch in Europe with seven different engine options — three of them gasoline and two diesel. North American buyers will get to choose between just two of these engines, a 292-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 for the E350 CGI and a 388-hp 5.5-liter V8 for the E550 CGI. Each comes with Mercedes-Benz's excellent seven-speed automatic transmission. A number of mpg-boosting innovations have been introduced under the German carmaker's BlueEfficiency banner, including brake energy regeneration, an on-demand water pump and low-rolling-resistance tires.

For our first drive we choose the E350 CGI, which will form the majority of sales here in North America. Twist the key and the first impression is of exceptional refinement. At idle, the engine is so quiet that it's barely perceptible from behind the wheel.

Once under way, this direct-injection V6 offers crisp response and impressive levels of performance. Left in Sport mode, the automatic gearbox works well, as upshifts are almost seamless even under full throttle and downshifts come swiftly. The V6 doesn't produce its maximum torque of 269 pound-feet until 3,000 rpm is wound on the dial, so it needs to be worked a bit before it can be coaxed into delivering its full potential. But with such a hushed nature and an inherent willingness to rev to the 6,800-rpm redline, this is no real hardship.

Acceleration reveals just how effective the new high-compression engine really is, as the sprint to 100 km/h (62 mph) from a standstill takes just 6.5 seconds. The E350 CGI achieves a top speed of 155 mph, making it a good deal faster than the old CLK320 and more than a match for its keenest rivals, the Audi A5 3.2 FSI and BMW 330i coupe.

Serenity
The E350 CGI is further distinguished by its deeply impressive on-road character. Your first impression is of real serenity, but as we went faster, this car's optional Advanced Agility Control package came into play. It combines variable-rate steering and electronically controlled shock absorbers that can be set in three distinct modes (Normal, Comfort and Sport).

The most satisfying feature is its ability to cruise down the highway with quiet confidence, tremendously well insulated from road and wind noise. Part of the performance comes from extensive wind-tunnel testing, because the E-Class coupe's 0.24 Cd is the sleekest of any production car, Mercedes tells us. You're nicely insulated from the road, but not anaesthetized, a telling distinction that Mercedes seems to understand very well.

You could add composure to this list, too. Body movement is well checked as long as you don't do anything too extreme over challenging sections of bitumen. While the steering effort initially feels a touch too light for any real engagement with the act of driving, it becomes more accurate and informative as your speed increases.

There's plenty of cornering grip and the handling is safe and neutral, with a bias toward understeer near the limits of adhesion. With serious provocation, you can coax the E350 CGI to drift into oversteer, though the stability control quickly responds to any wayward action even when disengaged. Dynamically, this is an impressive package, a real improvement on the old CLK, even if the overall impression is not exactly sporting in nature. The most impressive thing is the way this new coupe eats up the miles with such nonchalant ease.

New Priorities
The 2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 CGI represents a shift in priorities for Mercedes-Benz. Conventional new model logic would have seen the Stuttgart automaker freshening up the CLK for another generation, an affordable, incremental improvement to fend off the competition. Yet what has been delivered is nothing less than an all-new model that is positioned a whole class higher than the car it replaces.

Objectively, the 2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe is a better car in every aspect. However, success for cars like this is rarely if ever based upon simple objective advantage. Instead a coupe's chances in the marketplace are all about pure desirability, and it is here where this car makes its case.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 04-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Mercedes needs to step up with their interior.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:14 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
I saw one of these on the road here. It was sort of OK looking in my review mirror but after it passed me I was like - a Sonata rear end, really, for an E-class MB? What were they thinking?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Racer

Wow, i really like the AMG version!! This is going to be my next car whenever it comes out.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

the taillights make me think Hyundai Sonata... never a good thing:

and the headlamps remind me a lot of the GS lamps w/ the separated brights...

the exhaust is super aggressive but kind of odd looking with one being "squashed" looking to fit the shape of the rear bumper.

carbon fiber lip spoiler? surely saving OUNCES of weight over the normal plastic ones...

the only thing merc looking about it is really the grille, the wheels, and the emblems...

after all that though... i wanna drive one
Old 04-29-2009, 01:12 PM

the tail lights make me think of hyundai sonata, which makes me think of an improved 7g accord.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I really like the AMG. Im not feeling the clock in the inst cluster though
Old 04-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by syunit
the taillights make me think Hyundai Sonata... never a good thing:

and the headlamps remind me a lot of the GS lamps w/ the separated brights...

the exhaust is super aggressive but kind of odd looking with one being "squashed" looking to fit the shape of the rear bumper.

carbon fiber lip spoiler? surely saving OUNCES of weight over the normal plastic ones...

the only thing merc looking about it is really the grille, the wheels, and the emblems...

after all that though... i wanna drive one

Whats wrong with MB copying Hyundai Sonata?

Hyundai is very respectable car company, better than any other American car companies, Ford, GM, Chrysler, or Pontiac LOL!!

Hyundai Sonata looks good by having simple attractive design, not overly done in any way.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Intermediate

i'm not saying Hyundai isn't a respectable car co., but MB and Hyundai are supposed to be on different levels, and it should be Hyundai taking design cues from MB, a leader of the car industry, and not the other way around!

plus the 7g accord has the same taillights so i'm not blasting the design lol
Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 AM

but hyundai has taken cues from lexus, MB, bmw, etc on the genesis sedan and equus, and they get blasted for that.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

ideally they would all stop copying each other and design original looking cars. before long cars will all look the same, kind of like how everyone in the world will one day just become a darkish beige!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by syunit
plus the 7g accord has the same taillights so i'm not blasting the design lol
FYI, the 7G Accord came first.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by Yumchah

As usual, the AMG variant is the best looking iteration of the any Mercedes Benz(s)
Old 04-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AsianRage
FYI, the 7G Accord came first.
oh i know it's just that the sonata lights came to mind first when i saw the mb lights for some reason
Old 05-06-2009, 01:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
i think head on shots are best for the car:

i said this when the first pics were released: it's gonna really take some time getting used to it.
Anyone notice the pubes underneath in the undercarriage?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:14 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
@ the pubes. I didn't even notice them before.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 AM

Old 07-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,778 Likes on 1,407 Posts
...saw one of these the other day (none AMG) and it actually looked pretty good. Like the new BMW 7 series, looked a lot better in person.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:17 AM
w202 on carlssons

anyone know what the pubes do?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ll1l2l1l2lll
anyone know what the pubes do?
Duh...We all know that Europeans don't shave.

Yah, I have no idea.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: E-Class News