Mercedes-Benz: E-Class News

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
The quad headlight (1 large 1 small on each side) was their signature look. They have gotten away from its traditional look.
I am glad BMW still keeps their Kidney Grill (Even tho it is getting way too big), and the quad headlight.
interesting!
I suppose a grille wouldnt have to go through rules and regulations and keep up with certain trends.

I just noticed that Alfa uses their signature wheels on the Giulia
Old 06-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2

I had 2, both 1982. a W123 240D & a W126 300SD, neither really smoked much.

In a perfect world, a W124 wagon with a C36 AMG engine in it
Maybe that is because you were driving it, not behind it
The following users liked this post:
Costco (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Admittedly, those older diesels are likely much more prone to smoking, both of mine were quite well maintained.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:15 AM

https://www.digitaltrends.com/car-re...c-plus-review/

AMG’s 603-HP Wagon Puts The “Haul” In Family Hauler

Highs:
  • Supercar acceleration… from a wagon
  • A toned, not bloated muscular body
  • Ergonomic luxury for long-haul comfort
  • Tractable performance on road and track
  • Snarling V8 music to liven up any commute
Lows:
  • COMAND infotainment is finicky and complicated

Peak Mercedes-AMG nuttiness isn’t the AMG GT R, with its neon green paintjob and carbon ceramic brakes. Nor is it the F1-derived Project One hypercar, with its sophisticated hybrid powertrain and 10,000-rpm redline. No, the wildest side of AMG takes the shape of a family station wagon with 603 horsepower.

The E63 S 4Matic+ Wagon is a more practical side to AMG’s midsize luxury sedan and BMW M5 fighter. With space for five adults and plenty of cargo, there’s little reason to assume the E63 wagon is anything more than an upscale grocery-getter. That is, until one blows the doors off your muscle car.

Mercedes-AMG says the long-roofed E63 is built for a particular buyer – so particular, that only about 300 of them turn up each year. Even compared to E63 S sedan sales, that figure is small. The vehicle’s niche status also explains its uniqueness in the market; the closest rivals to the E63 S Wagon ($107,945) are Jaguar’s much less potent XF Sportbrake ($71,445) and Porsche’s not-quite-a-wagon Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo ($155,050).

Keen to the wonderful absurdity of its own car, Mercedes-AMG invited Digital Trends to NCM Motorsports Park in Bowling Green, Kentucky to test its E63 S 4Matic + sedan ($105,395) and wagon ($107,945) in a proper performance environment. Guess it’s time to put the “haul” in family haulers.

While not dramatic departures from the E-Class’ elegant baseline, the AMG versions of the sedan and wagon are distinctly more muscular and proud than their Mercedes-Benz counterparts. The clearest AMG callouts include re-sculpted front bumpers with larger air inlets, inset hood creases, V8 Biturbo badging with carbon fiber accents behind the front wheels, gold painted brake calipers, black painted rear diffusers with quad trapezoidal exhaust ports, and five unique 20-inch wheel designs within flared arches. Both the sedan and wagon strike wide stances to match their potent powertrains, but it’s the wagon’s stretched roofline that stirs within us the perfect combination of fear and desire.

Sporty and sumptuous details serve the needs of track day enthusiasts and suburban explorers alike. Classic E-Class touches, including dark wood grain trim, machined aluminum toggles and buttons, and plush leather seating surfaces make for ideal accommodations during our three-hour trek to the racetrack. Superb insulation and Mercedes-Benz’s air ride suspension filter most wind noise and road vibration while ventilated seats counter Kentucky’s humid, 98-degree heat.

Further easing the commute is Mercedes-Benz’s Intelligent Drive suite of driver assistance features. E63 S models are available with full-speed adaptive cruise control with steering assist, lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring, automatic emergency braking, driver attention monitoring, lane change assist, speed limit assist, and Pre Safe (a network of pre-collision measures to mitigate harm to all passengers). Combined, these systems significantly reduce driver fatigue and distraction. At this stage in the semi-autonomous game, most mainstream automakers have some version of these features baked into their vehicles, but Intelligent Drive is among the most intuitive and effortless systems we’ve encountered.

Other interior technology highlights include a pair of 12.3-inch digital monitors (one serving as the driver display, and the other as the infotainment), a full-color head-up display, a Burmeister premium sound system, a Wi-Fi hotspot, and wireless phone charging. Mercedes-Benz’s COMAND software dazzles with depth of functionality and customization, but the learning curve is steep – especially compared to BMW’s iDrive system. Touch-sensitive controls on the steering wheel are better in theory than practice, and navigating the complicated menu structure can become frustrating. Thankfully, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto simplify the process appreciably.

AMG’s approach to technology centers on track tools. In addition to an onboard lap timer, AMG’s Track Pace app imports speed, gear selection, steering angle, time, position and temperature from the vehicle log to let driver’s analyze their track day performance. The analog side to AMG’s improvements is just as useful. A thick-rimmed, leather wrapped steering wheel features a stitched 12 o’clock marker and Alcantara inserts at the 9 and 3 hand position. AMG Performance bucket seats with adjustable side bolsters and tall thigh supports keep drivers of all shapes and sizes in place while the G forces mount.

Both the E63 S sedan and wagon offer spacious cabins with good legroom and headroom for four full-size adults (or a trio of kids on the rear bench). Unlike Porsche’s Panamera shooting brake, the E63 S wagon is truly practical to boot. 35 cubic feet of cargo space is available behind the second row, or a whopping 64 cu. ft. with seats folded flat.

It takes no more than five seconds to transform the E63 S from cruiser to corner carver thanks to Mercedes-AMG’s performance software. The shortcut to tractable track magic is called Dynamic Select. Scrolling the console-mounted wheel between Comfort, Sport, Sport +, Race, and Individual drive modes adjusts suspension stiffness, steering weight, stability control, shift timing, throttle response, and engine mount rigidity. With 603 horsepower and 627 pound-feet of torque on tap, it requires precise coordination of these systems to keep the E63 S under control.

Mated to AMG’s hand-built 4.0-liter twin-turbocharged V8 is a nine-speed multi-clutch automatic gearbox and variable all-wheel drive system. Other AMG-specific upgrades include an electronically locking rear differential, dynamic (adjustable) engine mounts, a three-stage stability control system, and available carbon ceramic brakes. Thanks in part to a launch control system, the E63 S sedan rockets to 60 mph in 3.3 seconds (the wagon trails by just a tenth of a second) and on to a top speed of 186 mph (please leave your kids at home for that trip). By comparison, BMW’s new M5, with 600hp and 553 lb-ft of torque, blasts to 60 mph in 3.2 seconds and is limited to a top speed of 163 mph.

Two things become immediately apparent as we pilot the E63 S wagon around NCM Motorsports Park’s 3.2-mile course: first, this thing is heavy (4,697 pounds to be precise), and second, AMG masks that heft brilliantly. Gripping with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, the E63 S wagon shuttles torque wherever it’s needed to slingshot out of corners. Not that it requires the momentum; once a straight comes into view, the bi-turbo V8 roars its way towards the next braking point. In no time, we’re digging into the carbon ceramic brakes to shear off speed before pitching into a corner. Smooth inputs and a modicum of restraint keeps all four of the E63’s tires on rails, but the wagon’s big arse loves to come ‘round when we hop on the throttle a bit early or trail brake too aggressively. In those moments of oversteer, though, reeling the wagon back in is little trouble.

Hour after hour, lap after lap, both the E63 S sedan and wagon deliver consistent braking, acceleration, and handling performance to satisfy any enthusiast. At day’s end, we use our biggest puppy dog eyes when asking permission to try “drift mode” – a sub-selection within Race mode that turns the E63 S into a completely rear-drive vehicle – but to no avail. Instead, Tommy Kendall (racing driver and television broadcaster) puts on a drifting demo to separate the last tread from some well-used tires.

Mercedes-AMG offers a four-year/50,000-mile new car warranty to match its luxury rivals, but while BMW, Audi, and Cadillac offer complimentary scheduled maintenance (for varied terms), E63 S buyers must pay for all service from day one. Owners of the previous generation of E63 sedan and wagon report general positive experiences with rare instances of unscheduled repairs. Though the E63 S is new and therefore unproven, the E-Class on which it’s based has been out for a couple years without major red flags.

Our perfect E63 S 4Matic+ has “wagon” in its title and sleeper sensibilities. Painted obsidian black metallic with matte black forged alloy wheels, you wouldn’t want to meet this brooding beast in a dark alley. Inside, we prefer our seating surfaces coated in nut brown Nappa leather and contrasted by natural grain black ash wood. Add in the AMG Premium Package ($3,600) for Mercedes-Benz’s full suite of driver aids, a surround view camera system, and a head-up display. Our final add-on is massaging front seats with rapid heating ($1,770). The final tally on our 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S 4Matic+ Wagon is $115,885 including destination and handling fees.

There isn’t a sane reason for 603 horsepower in a sedan or station wagon – and that’s what makes the Mercedes-AMG E63 S 4Matic+ so beguiling. Leave the giant wings, dihedral doors, and inch-high ground clearance to the supercars, but take the ludicrous acceleration with you on the way to soccer practice. Is there such a thing as a carpool waiting list?
Old 06-26-2018, 09:15 AM

Old 06-26-2018, 12:41 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
That interior is amazing.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:35 PM

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-merced...hat-1829259090

Once upon a time, a Mercedes-Benz inline-six was the very model of smoothness and opulence and grace. It went away for some time, but now it’s finally back and boasts some impressive power and tech. Then the mad scientists at AMG got their hands on it. Meet the 2019 Mercedes-AMG E53, one of the more interesting AMG cars you can buy right now.

I’m a big fan of the Mercedes-AMG E63 Sedan, and love the look of the two-door coupe. But problem is if you want an AMG two-door, you don’t have an option with the E-Class lineup—that comes in sedan or wagon form only. You’ve either got to go down a level to the C Class, or way up to a new tax bracket to get the AMG GT or S Class Coupe.

Until now, at least. Thankfully AMG decided to step in and fill the gap with a very unique powerplant.

The 2019 Mercedes-AMG E53 Coupe is the fast version of the successful E Class, powered by the all-new 3.0 liter turbocharged straight six engine. Yes, 53. For a three-liter engine.

Confused? You’re not alone. I’m still trying to figure out the naming convention too. The E53 contends with BMW’s recently discontinued 650i xDrive (let’s not even begin to unpack that name) if you’re comparison shopping.

For the driver that wants more performance, AMG offers plenty of coupes and sedans, but this new E-Class Coupe falls into a realm I like. It’s the perfect size for a comfortable coupe, has the performance figures many buyers will appreciate, and has the subtle yet fast looks you’ve come to expect from Mercedes’ performance division. A sedan E53 is also available, and there’s a cabriolet version coming as well.

The AMG-ified inline-six delivers 429 horsepower at 6,100 RPM and 384 lb-ft of torque from 1,800 to 5,800 RPM. AMG claims it’ll do 0-60 in 4.3 seconds, and hit an electronically-limited top speed of 130 mph. Driving all four wheels is AMG’s multi-clutch automatic Speedshift nine-speed transmission, hooked up to a fully variable all-wheel drive system.

What makes this engine package unique is the new EQ Boost system which incorporates some hybrid tech they learned in dominating Formula 1 over the past four seasons. With a 48-volt onboard electrical system on tap, the straight-six gets an added 21 horsepower and nearly 180 lb-ft. of torque shoved into your backside for short periods when you plant the gas pedal.

I’m usually quick to doubt any sort of hybrid or electric assist systems implemented into more normal cars, as you’d expect some diluted tech for marketing, rather than the hotness you get in a McLaren P1, Porsche 918, or Ferrari LaFerrari. But in the case of the E53, AMG’s EQ Boost system is no joke.

It’s the perfect setup that gives you the most buttery torque curve any time you mash the throttle. Torque-fill all day. The engine isn’t wildly punchy like the twin turbo V8 in the AMG GT 63 S 4-Door Coupe I tested, which is actually a good thing. The powerband in this car is superb, and perfectly matches up with the 3.0 liter straight-six’s delivery.

Any time you can get an additional 180 lb-ft of torque on tap for any pass on the freeway, or when you get an open stretch of Texas Hill Country road is to be taken advantage of.

On the inside, well, I can’t say enough good things about what Benz is doing these days. The materials are from the future, the fit and finish is obscenely good, and the technology powering it all blows anyone else in the class away.

The touch-sensitive buttons on the steering wheel work pretty well, and give you a lot of flexibility to control and adjust screens on the instrument cluster. Yes, you could spend hours playing with all the features and settings to meet your demands, but I can’t complain too much. It’s all so good in the AMG E53.

The exterior is really clean, and the E-Class generally looks great, but being an AMG model, I’d want something that looks more aggressive. The front and rear bumpers could use a hint more grunt, maybe some sharper cuts. It’s just too similar to a normal E-Class Coupe. I want slightly larger fender flares, a beefier stance, and some massive tailpipes.

Then again, this is a 53 and not a 63. Maybe that’s the intent.

I miss the days of a conventional shifter on the center console. Real estate for additional driver controls and switches had to be taken up, so the shifter was relegated to the steering column, with a tiny little stalk.

Curb weight wasn’t officially provided at the time of publication, but the AMG E53 Coupe easily tips the scales at over 4,200 pounds. In light of that, and having heaped praise on the engine earlier, I’d still like more power.

Yes, it has that big EQ Boost surge of torque on demand, but with only 429 peak horsepower way at the top of the rev range, I’d want a little more from an AMG model.

The 63 S models get over 630 HP, and that really helps move the estimated 4,400 pound package. If it had 500 or more, this thing would be a rocket.

If you’re fortunate to live in a city with a commute that covers twisty roads, this car will be fantastic between your day’s blocks of reality. The steering is predictive and perfectly weighted, the chassis is balanced in any condition, and there isn’t any complaint when you get to play in the corners. I may have wanted a bit more power from this AMG, but there’s more than enough juice under the hood to have fun.

As you expect from any big coupe, you can actually put adults in the back seats, and the trunk fits plenty of luggage, should you want to take a long road trip in your AMG E53 Coupe.

The engineers earned their paycheck with the suspension dynamics, and whether you’re in the Comfort mode or up to Sport+, you’re still going to have a supple ride quality with any road surface being gobbled up smoothly.

This could also have something to do with the 113.1-inch wheelbase and AMG’s Air Body Control adaptive damping system working overtime.

I may have asked for a bit more horsepower from this turbo inline-six, but the EQ Boost really gives you extra torque when you’re pushing the car in the mid-range RPMs. Punching the gas from corner to corner is true bliss, and I love the weight and predictability of the AMG E53's steering. This car was surprisingly good in any condition I threw at it.

My tester was equipped with a set of Yokohama Advan tires, and while they’re grippy and responsive, with just a hint more road noise than I prefer, they are nowhere near as great of an all-around tire as the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Wonder if those could end up as an option.

AMG continues to belt out the high notes with any model they introduce, and this car easily met my expectations. The styling could be more AMG-aggro and a little more power would’ve been nice, but plenty of buyers will love what this fascinating six-pot engine can do.

Mercedes says the E53 starts at $73,700, and with options I’m sure it could creep into the $90,000 range. A fair price for all the tech involved, and that you consider this is meant to be a forward-thinking stopgap between a “normal” E-Class and the fire-breathing E63 AMG models. If this is where electrification is going, we all win here.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:36 PM

IMO, they softened the exterior look of the, compared to the W212. It still looks good, but a lot less aggressive.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

I am a little confused with the E53 placement.

It is not good enough to go against M550i but overkill for the 540i....But priced at M550i's level.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:20 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
I look forward to considering buying a CPO E53 AMG for less than 50% of the cost in 4ish years.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:36 AM

Seems like a perfect comfy DD option, but gimme 4 doors or an Estate.

But, if GLE pricing is an indicator, I wonder if the E (non-base/lease/loaner models) will depreciate a lot slower than the C.
I looked up a few CPO GLEs, after having one for a loaner, as a 'maybe' for my wife & they're holding value pretty well.

Last edited by 00TL-P3.2; 09-27-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:48 AM
Ex-OEM King

Seems like a perfect comfy DD option, but gimme 4 doors or an Estate.

But, if GLE pricing is an indicator, I wonder if the E (non-base/lease/loaner models) will depreciate a lot slower than the C.
I looked up a few CPO GLEs, after having one for a loaner, as a 'maybe' for my wife & they're holding value pretty well.
Look up the later year ML models. Same car, different badge, much cheaper.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:51 AM

We're in no rush & I'd prefer to see how the newer GLE300 drives & am not a huge fan of the infotainment setup in the current models (GLE, outgoing E, CLA)
The A, C, S & new E setup is much nicer.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:36 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
They rarely do.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:55 AM

Throwback Thursday

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/cla...s-benz-e-class

Stick your SUVs and your crossovers and so forth in a box. We’ll have one of these

This is the Mercedes-Benz 500 E which would later become the Mercedes-Benz E 500, and it is glorious.

Some 25 years ago, Mercedes gifted racing driver Hans Hermann the ten thousandth E 500 ever built. That’s because Hans Hermann is a legend who raced with Mercedes in the mid fifties alongside Fangio, Kling, and Sir Stirling Moss. He also clocked up five Le Mans wins with Porsche.

And it was Porsche who helped Mercedes build the 500 E which would later become the E 500. First unveiled in Paris in 1990, this Merc was – remains – a Proper Thing. Merc took the regular W124-gen E and flared out the arches, lowered it by 23mm, and gave it a new front apron.

They also slotted in the M119. Engine code geeks might remember the M119 from such hits as the 500 SL of the day. For the 500 E which would later become the E 500, Merc added electronic injection and hot-wire air mass measurement to the 5.0-litre V8, and modified the block so it could fit the W124’s engine bay.

Thus, this 90s executive saloon pumped out 320bhp, and driving a four-speed auto ‘box to the rear wheels, was capable of 0-62mph in just 5.9secs and a top speed of 155mph. Imagine, 5.9secs to 62mph in the nineties!

About the Porsche connection. Merc would build and paint the body, then ship everything over to Zuffenhausen where Porsche would finish the assembly. The name change from 500 E to E 500 came in 1993 along with a small facelift.

Yes, the modern car world is great; today’s cars are safe, efficient, tech-laden. But a V8-engined E-Class from the nineties ticks boxes that are difficult to explain in rational terms.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:21 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
W210 E55 > that
Old 03-22-2019, 01:48 PM

Tough call for me. I've always preferred the W124 to the W210 on appearance, the bug-eye never grew on me as much.
Now, the W211 E55
Old 04-05-2019, 11:35 AM

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...e-53-amg-sedan

The 2019 Mercedes-Benz E 53 AMG is conflicted. The pugnacious luxury sedan that arrived this year is sandwiched between a Hammer and a scythe. No, really.

The former was a 1980s wonder machine that helped set the table for a tradition of sleeper sedans, and the latter is a modern-day masterpiece—a coveted V-8 thundersedan that hates its tires and it shows.

This E 53 AMG isn’t either. It’s a better weapon to slay long cruises in superlative comfort with better-than-reasonable fuel economy for a sedan with more than 400 horsepower.

As the latest sedan (or coupe or convertible, if you prefer) to sport an AMG 53 badge, the E 53 AMG is a mild Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde ride with luxury creds in all the right places: standard air suspension, available nappa leather hides, and Burmester sound. Its silky-smooth, force-fed inline-6 with 429 horsepower has enough gusto to bite, but not enough to chew through tires like its V-8-powered E63 AMG stablemate.

It’s better for the balance, and better not to be compared to anything with a V-8—doing that gives short shrift for an engine that’s a marvel in its own right.

Like the E 43 that it replaced, the E 53 ascension up the AMG ladder stops short of the V-8 rung. The 53 series will eventually replace the whole AMG 43 lot, eschewing turbocharged V-6s in favor of boosted inline-6s with the same displacement, but completely unique geometry.

At its heart—no, really at the crankshaft—is the E 53 AMG’s gift to the world: a 21-hp, 184 pound-feet integral starter generator that pushes supplemental power down the driveline, spools up a turbo, and can “coast” the car at nearly every speed to save fuel.

The starter generator feeds the E 53’s turbocharger at low rpm, too, and torque fills boost before exhaust pressure can spin up the snail riding sidesaddle on the inline-6. The E 53 AMG launches directly and without drama; its standard all-wheel-drive system shuttles up to 100 percent of power toward the rear wheels (the fronts never take more than 50 percent of the power), and the inline-6 braps out overrun in sportier modes with gleeful artifice.

My rain-soaked launches in Northern California were a taste of the E 53 AMG’s potential for straight-line speed, but even on the damp roads, the sport sedan seemed reticent to transmute its wide, optional 275/30 R20 Pirelli tires from rubber solids into hillbilly smoke.

That’s fine, the E 53 AMG is no performance poseur.

Mercedes-Benz quotes a 0-60-mph sprint in the sedan and convertible at 4.4 seconds (4.3 seconds in the coupe). That’s nearly identical to the 4.5-second spring in the outgoing E 43, effectively negating the 33 hp advantage over last year’s models by adding 200 pounds more gear, including a standard air suspension. Its brisk and quick, and nearly as quick to 60 mph as the E 63 from less than a decade ago.

The new E 53’s advantage isn’t only from the trick starter generator, but also in the new 3.0-liter inline-6. The inline-6 has been used in other applications before—CLS 450 and GLE 450 to name two—but not yet in the E-Class. The engine is the straight man to the E 53’s boost brothers’—turbo and starter generator—schticks. The straight-6 has one fewer cam than the V-6, a more seamless start-stop system, and a higher-strung, but more pleasurable, exhaust note compared to the V-6 found in the E 450. It drives better than before, although this generation of E-Class has been no slouch on the road in any configuration.

The foil, if any, is that the 9-speed automatic hooked to each AMG 53 lives under a shadow of 8-speeds found in competitors that wear initials with letters such as PDK or ZF. In normal drive modes, the 9-speed happily serves more cogs in the name of fuel economy, but in Sport and Sport+ modes, the chunky upshifts aren’t as guttural and pleasing as BMW or Porsche’s rifle-precise shifts. The 9-speed sings at long-distance cruises, however, and keeps the E 53 dangerously close to 30 mpg on the highway despite its deep wells of available power.

There is a small menu of E 53 body styles to choose from, all with the same powertrain.

The crib notes version: The E 53 coupe is marginally harder edged, beautifully styled, and less practical. The E 53 convertible is gorgeous and heavy, perhaps a tinge softer than the coupe, but necessary hardware on coastal cruises.

The E 53 sedan I’m driving is neither of the above and I’m looking for its hook. Inside the beautifully wrought interior, the sedan charms with its available in-cabin fragrance dispenser and soft black nappa leather seats with red contrast stitching.

It wears a brilliant shade of Iridium Silver that nearly matches the color of the porous clouds on this rainy Northern California day. This E 53 has more than $26,000 in options to add to its $72,550 starting price and its bottom-line balloons to within earshot of six figures.

I’d skip none of those options, and here are my highlights: a $1,100 acoustic package upgrade that silences the outside world with thicker glass and more sound-deadening; a $2,550 driver assistance package that adds active lane control and driver-assistance features that serve the E 53 AMG’s mission as a long-distance cruiser; and of course a Burmester sound system that nearly makes Chopin my co-pilot.

And that’s really the best place for this sedan anyhow.

If the E 53’s lineage includes the Hammer, this sedan’s an icing spatula. It’s smoother than the bunch and even sweeter.

RPhilMan1 (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 11:45 AM

The more I see the W213 E, the more it's grown on me.
A bit surprising that the E53 averages higher MPGs than the C43.

I'm with Sam, I could see one as a CPO in a few years when it's time to upgrade from the C300.

$96k on an upper-mid-level build...
Old 04-05-2019, 12:38 PM

Dealer has a couple (5 sedans) in stock
$83k in silver/black with a few options. 20" AMG multispoke wheels, full digital dash, leather upgrade, heat/cool seats, black ash wood.

Assuming the E43 had a similar MSRP, there's a few CPOs local that've dropped ~15% in a year. Maybe they'll be in the $40k range when I'm ready
Old 06-17-2019, 04:40 PM

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-sedan-engine/

The Mercedes-Benz E-class sedan's base four-cylinder engine is getting more grunt for 2020. A new turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four in the 2020 model now makes 255 horsepower, a 14-hp boost over last year (torque stays the same, at 273 lb-ft). Its model designation changes to reflect the extra output, going from E300 to E350. A nine-speed automatic remains the only transmission choice, and customers still have a choice between standard rear-wheel drive and optional 4Matic all-wheel drive for $2500 extra.

This updated engine was first used in the updated C-class and GLC-class models, and it's also found in the 2020 GLE-class SUV. Given that the new turbo-four improved a C300 4Matic sedan's zero-to-60-mph acceleration time by half a second in our testing, we're thinking it will likewise improve the performance of the base E-class sedan, which made the zero-to-60-mph run in a lackluster 6.5 seconds in our testing. We weren't fans of the old E300 model, choosing to award our 10Best award only to the six-cylinder E-class models in the lineup for the past few years.

The starting price for the 2020 E-class rises somewhat, with the base E350 starting at $55,045, $550 higher than before. There don't appear to be any other major changes in the lineup; the V-6–powered E450 models remain in coupe, convertible, sedan, and wagon body styles. Look for E350 models to go on sale later this year.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:43 PM

Can't stand the US-spec naming convention. Just leave it the E200 like the rest of the world
One of the reasons mine has no badges (Along with general aesthetics).

Eventually the V8s will be S5500, when they start running out of numbers.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 AM

https://jalopnik.com/mercedes-recall...ial-1839132933

There you are, zooming down the road, hunkered to it in your sleek, smooth Mercedes E-Class wagon that cuts through air like a steak knife through butter, when suddenly, a seismic shift occurs. It feels as if you, in your sleek, smooth wagon, have been hit by an asteroid. Your car slows, your ride becomes rougher, all while you glance around wondering, “Are the aliens here? Is it my time?

You pull over onto the shoulder cautiously, noticing that no other cars seem to have been affected by this apparent attack. What was going on here? You open the door to get out, shielding your head with your arms despite knowing it will do nothing of substance besides making you feel a little better about this whole situation, and then you see it

No, not the aliens—this time. It’s your spoiler, sitting many feet behind you in the middle of the road while your poor E-Class wagon sobs over the loss of its aerodynamic prowess. You, too, feel like sobbing.

Thus, to prevent further tears, Mercedes recently submitted documents to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to recall 4,765 wagons for the potential of their spoilers to fly off at high speeds, including certain models of the 2019 E450, the 2017 through 2018 E400, and the 2018 through 2019 AMG E63 S

You might call the recall a “spoiler alert.” Or you might not, and feel bad for anyone who tries to execute that joke. Thanks for the condolences.

Anyway, the recall documents say that spoilers on these roughly 4,800 vehicles might not have been mounted correctly during production, meaning they could detach at unspecified high speeds. The recall is for the safety of others on the road instead of owners’ aerodynamic woes, but the documents say that a driver may become aware of their spoiler’s impending doom by rattling noises.

Mercedes originally blamed the spoiler issues on a single worker with a recall in November of 2018, saying an “employee temporarily assigned to the position” had mounted them incorrectly and recalling 16 vehicles. Ouch! But Mercedes is now sorry for blaming that single person, hopefully, after investigating further instances of incorrectly mounted spoilers this year.

From the main recall listing, which has plenty of incorrectly mounted commas, emphasis ours:

These investigations showed that the affected vehicles were outside the scope of the November 2018 recall., It was determined that the production concern was not limited to the single worker. Based on this finding, investigations were performed to determine, which vehicles could potentially be affected. On September 16, 2019, DAG decided to recall a broad vehicle population to inspect the mounting of the rear spoilers. DAG expects the actual number of vehicles with incorrectly mounted spoilers to be a small percentage of the total population.
To fix the problem, Mercedes dealers will check the spoiler mounting on each car and “rework it, if necessary.” All involved vehicles are still under warranty, Mercedes said, and a change in production happened on Jan. 9 of this year to prevent more cars from having spoiler issues.

Owners will find out about the recall on Nov. 22, the recall documents said—or whenever their spoiler flies off, rendering their formerly sleek, smooth wagon an aerodynamic brick.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:30 PM

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/20/...-wagon-review/

Buying a station wagon in the United States is an exceedingly niche thing to do – especially if that wagon isn’t a Subaru Outback. The numbers are bleak: JD Power says that wagons made up just 1.4% of overall vehicle sales in 2018, the vast majority of those being Outbacks. Other wagons accounted for only 0.2% of that towering 1.4%. It’s a heartbreaking stat to see for wagon enthusiasts, especially knowing that the small crop of wagons currently on sale are excellent choices. But since Audi is about to join Mercedes-Benz by adopting a two-pronged wagon approach with the 2020 A6 Allroad and RS6 Avant, we figured it was time to revisit the three-pointed star as the Audis lurk in the background.

That brings us to the 2020 Mercedes-Benz E 450 4Matic Wagon that showed up at our doorstep for the week. It’s the most reasonable and tame of the two Mercedes wagons sold here today; its rowdy and maniacal sibling, the E 63 S Wagon, being the other. Given their statistical rarity, it’s no surprise that we saw nary a single other new E-Class Wagon on the road over the course of a week driving around southeast Michigan, but there were plenty of GLEs and GLCs to go around.

Mercedes has sold the latest E-Class Wagon since the 2017 model year, but a light update to the whole E-Class range for 2019 means the wagon has more power than when we first drove it. The 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 now produces 362 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, an upgrade of 33 hp and 15 lb-ft of torque. Its name also changed from E 400 to E 450 to reflect the extra power, though the name is rather nebulous, as Mercedes doesn’t specify any particularly meaning to the “450” number. It simply designates that this Mercedes is equipped with the current 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6, as all other Mercedes E-Classes with the 450 designation are. To confuse matters even more, the 450 designation is used on some Mercedes (GLE, GLS, CLS) that house the new 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-six under the hood. Basically, look at the specs, not the numbers.

Naming ambiguity aside, this wagon is legitimately quick. The E 450 sprints to 60 mph in just 5.1 seconds, which is 0.1 second faster than the E 400 before it, according to Mercedes.

The power will be appreciated even more with a full load of passengers and baggage on a road trip. Mercedes has gifted the E 450 Wagon with stellar utility, besting even the brand-new GLE-Class SUV for cargo capacity behind the second row — the Wagon has 35 cu-ft available, and the GLE makes do with 33.3 cu-ft. What we’re saying is, you don’t need to buy a crossover to get excellent utility. This wagon is perfectly suitable for trips to Ikea, the grocery store and schlepping kids around. The little ones will love it, too, because it has the coolest third row in the automotive industry. It faces backwards, so if the kids are old enough to escape their child seats but small enough to fit back there, they can live it up like its 1977, making faces at the cars behind you. You can tell them it's better than an iPad.

Everybody gets to ride in utter silence, surrounded by the best that German luxury has to offer, too. The Mercedes E-Class’ interior does a great job of imitating the S-Class nowadays with its sweeping wood panels, metal switches, clicky buttons and highly sophisticated design. It does a better job of feeling expensive and classy than anything else in this segment, and that’s a tall order considering the formidable Volvo V90 and Jaguar XF Sportbrake. Audi’s new A6 Allroad interior might be the only one capable of standing up to it from a luxury and tech perspective.

Mercedes is still using its older Comand infotainment system in the E 450 as opposed to the new MBUX interface. It’s noticeably slower, less feature-rich and slightly more difficult to use than MBUX, though even the new system has its issues. The dual-screen layout that comes in the Premium Package looks spectacular, as two gorgeous high-resolution 12.3-inch digital displays grace the dashboard. The controls are intimidating initially, but it all becomes quite logical and simple to operate after spending some quality time with the system. Both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto can be projected onto the central widescreen through a wired connection, and it runs seamlessly. As a package, the excellent tech and equipment do enough to elevate the luxury car experience without frustrating the user. We’ll be glad when MBUX is applied to the E-Class, but the Comand system is no reason to pass up an E-Class Wagon today.

The standard, passive suspension on our test car rides comfortably and irons out most road imperfections. A $1,900 full air suspension is optional, but the compromise struck by the standard suspension is good enough that you can save the money and still be in love with the ride and handling. And yes, this wagon handles excellently. The winter tires on ours kept its road holding capability low, but for its size, this car is magnificent. It changes direction with as much quickness and spunk as an E-Class sedan, even though it weighs a couple hundred pounds more. We can feel that extra weight hauling the 4,343-pound wagon to a stop, but that hardly takes away from the fun that can be had in this car. If you’re a driving enthusiast, you will enjoy tossing this big wagon around. The Germans have done a great job making SUVs livelier through corners over the years, but there’s absolutely no replacement for the way a low-slung wagon like this one dances.

Spend any amount of time in Germany, and E-Class Wagons are everywhere. In America, this car is a rare sight. That’s a shame, because it’s more attractive than any Mercedes SUV on sale today – its simple, understated look exudes class. It doesn’t have the oversized grille or wheels that plague other companies’ products. Nor does it have black plastic cladding around the wheel arches, resulting in a cleaner look (although the E-Class All-Terrain, sold abroad, does). Like our favorite classic Mercedes vehicles, it’s likely to age gracefully and shines brightly today.

Your eyes might shine a bit from tears after seeing the sticker price on the E-Class Wagon, though. It starts at $67,095 after the $995 destination charge, and ours stickered at a healthy $78,640 after options. That makes it $4,950 more expensive than a base GLE 450, which starts at $62,145. The price premium makes it far too easy for folks to pass on the wagon when the comparable SUV looks much larger and costs less. A 2020 Audi A6 Allroad is going to be $66,895 when it goes on sale this year, so those two are essentially equals. Jaguar sells the XF Sportbrake at a $66,145 base price, but that’s for the four-cylinder model. If you want the supercharged V6, it’ll cost you $72,795.

Americans vastly prefer vehicles with a high seating position and the perception of increased utility and all-weather traction. The GLE is undoubtedly the winner in that category, even if it suffers in the areas most driving enthusiasts hold dear to their hearts. An E 450 Wagon is leagues more fun to drive than a GLE 450: It’s faster, handles better and it gets better fuel economy (by 1 mpg combined) to boot. All this, and there’s more room in the hatch for your things, and in our book that’s worth the premium sticker price. For those in the know, it’s a genius pick, and one that we hope sticks around for the foreseeable future in Mercedes’ vast E-Class lineup.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:31 PM

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old 01-22-2020, 03:10 PM
Race Director

Mercedes-Benz is preparing to give the fifth-generation E-Class a mid-cycle update that will include visual tweaks, more advanced driver assistance features, and new hybrid technology. The face-lifted sedan could make its public debut during the 2020 Geneva auto show opening its doors to the press on March 3.

The E's suite of available electronic driving aids will include Active Distance Assist with Route-Based Speed Adjustment, which relies on live traffic information to detect a traffic jam well before the driver sees it and preemptively reduce the car's speed to around 62 mph. When you've joined the traffic jam, the E can keep itself in its lane (assuming they're marked) and maintain a safe distance between it and the car in front at speeds of up to 37 mph. It automatically brakes if it detects a collision with an oncoming car is imminent (while turning left, for example), and its blind spot detection system warns the front passengers if they're about to open the door into a bicycle, a motorcycle, or another car. Bundled together, these features will make the E-Class safer than before.

The on-board 360-degree camera gives the driver a better view of the car's side while parking, and the Urban Guard function adds peace of mind by keeping a digital eye on the E-Class while it's parked. It warns the owner if someone bumps into the car or tows it away. If thieves do take it, the app-based service lets law enforcement officials track it via GPS, and it allows the owner to deactivate the key using a smartphone.

Mercedes outlined two new engines, starting with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbocharged to 268 horsepower. It's fitted with 48-volt mild hybrid technology that provides a 20-horsepower boost for short bursts of time. The firm's 3.0-liter straight-six will replace the 3.0-liter V6 as the mid-range option. It delivers 362 horsepower, but the aforementioned mild hybrid system temporarily increases that number to 382 when extra power is needed.

Plug-in hybrid technology will spread across the range, though it's too early to tell what the American-spec model will and won't get. Rear-wheel drive will continue to come standard, and 4Matic all-wheel drive will be offered at an extra cost. Looking ahead, we expect the AMG-tuned E53 and E63 S models will return with more power.

Images of fully-camouflaged test mules hint at minor visual changes, including a wider grille, new-look headlights, and a redesigned lower bumper. The rear lights receive a nip-and-tuck, too. The restyling isn't dramatic, but it should allow the redesigned E-Class to easily stand out from the model currently found on dealer lots.

Mercedes will begin delivering the face-lifted E-Class to European customers in the summer of 2020, a timing which suggests the model will make its global debut in Geneva. Nothing is official yet, and the company hasn't commented on American availability. It's reasonable to assume we'll see it during the 2021 model year. The wagon will go on sale at the same time as the sedan, while the coupe and the convertible variants will arrive later.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/22/...#slide-1296517
Old 06-18-2020, 06:53 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-...63_amg_estate/

Since the legendary "Hammer" of 1986, the E-Class with its superior engine has been one of the central models which form the brand core of Mercedes-AMG. In the latest generation, the sporty vehicle dynamics of the performance models from Affalterbach are combined with considerably more comfort and supplemented by an extensive design update: the central cooling air inlet in the completely restyled front section is significantly larger then before and now also bears the AMG-specific radiator grille with twelve vertical louvres and central star which is also larger. Together with the flatter all-LED multibeam headlamps, the model's characteristic wheel arches flared further outwards and the rounded-fit bonnet with powerdomes, a completely new, considerably more dynamic appearance is created. The reshaped front apron in a jet-wing design with three large, functional air intakes and front splitter influences the overall vehicle proportions and also significantly reduces lift at the front axle. The interior is also thoroughly enhanced: the Widescreen Cockpit, the new AMG Performance steering wheel and the MBUX infotainment system with AMG-specific functions and displays underscore its membership of the AMG family.

The new look of the Mercedes-AMG E63 4MATIC+ models, which catches the eye at first glance, is also down to technical reasons to a large extent. In order to ensure optimum air throughput around the 4.0-litre V8 biturbo engine including charge air cooling, the outer air intakes in the jet-wing are not only particularly large; they also guide the air to where it is required in a targeted manner with the aid of two transverse louvres.

"Thanks to our efficient V8 engine and the fully variable all-wheel drive, the E63 4MATIC+ offers not only outstanding performance and vehicle dynamics at the highest level, but with the latest revision of the Saloon and Estate we have also significantly increased comfort and yet still retained the hallmark AMG character. In conjunction with the extensive design update, which also helps the E-Class from Affalterbach achieve improved aerodynamics values, our customers are now receiving an even more attractive overall package", says Tobias Moers, Chairman of the Board of Management of Mercedes-AMG GmbH.

Designers and aerodynamics experts worked closely together during development. Their insights not only resulted in the striking AMG bodystyling but also in the optimised aerobalance - for agile handling characteristics on country roads and optimum driving stability at high speed on the motorway. The aerodynamics experts were also able to reduce the wind resistance even further.

A further striking visual feature is a harmoniously fitting flap in high-gloss black which extends across the entire front apron, continues into the outer edge of the jet-wing and rounds this off outwards to the sides. The front splitter is either kept in the colour of the vehicle (base model), in Silver Shadow (S-Model), in high-gloss black (with optional AMG Night Package) or in carbon fibre (with the optional AMG Exterior Carbon-Fibre Package I). More powerful-looking and 27 millimetres wider, the wheel arches accommodate the greater track width and the larger wheels on the front axle - also a functional advantage.

nanxun (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 06:54 AM

2021 E63 Estate

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Old 06-18-2020, 06:54 AM

2021 E63 Sedan

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old 06-18-2020, 06:06 PM
Team Owner

Um... i feel like every new car's rear all look like Infiniti to me somehow
Old 06-18-2020, 09:33 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
What shitting performance are they talking about compared to a Tesla. The only thing going for MB and BMW is build quality. Not sure how long it’ll carry that.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:30 PM

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/44571...n-first-drive/

Editor’s Note: While Mercedes-Benz USA hosted a wave of the E63S Wagon drive for US publications, restrictions on travel due to COVID-19 prevented anyone from Motor1.com’s US-based team from attending the event in eastern Germany. Instead, our colleagues at Motor1.com Italy got the privilege – what follows is a translation of their original story. It has been edited for clarity.

The eternal battle for high-powered wagon dominance is back on in recent years, with the Mercedes-AMG E63S facing a new rival in the redesigned (and now US-bound) Audi RS6 Avant, which has been a star across the pond in Europe. But while Audi was hard at work federalizing its updated RS6, Mercedes has just updated the E-Class.

Packing a number of changes to its interior and exterior design, along with a few important mechanical updates, the E63 is preparing to take the fight to Audi in both Europe and abroad. But despite these changes for 2021, the engine remains the same: a righteous twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8 with 603 horsepower and 627 pound-feet of torque.

If you opt for the beautiful Blu Magno color (a matte shade previously limited to the AMG GT 4-Door), it’ll be hard to go unnoticed – the light plays on the bodywork well, highlighting the creases on the hood and sides that create the typical sinuous, but powerful, lines that characterize AMG’s latest models.

The front grille, with its vertical slats, is wider and draws inspiration from the AMG GT sports car; the Mercedes logo, hiding the adaptive cruise control sensors, is larger and the wheel arches have swollen by almost an inch compared to the standard E-Class Wagon. In front, a new lower whisker featuring a glossy black finish separates the upper and lower grilles and embraces the secondary air intakes. The profile is very dramatic, with 20-inch wheels completing the picture.

At the rear, there are fewer differences. Four squarish exhaust pipes and a prominent diffuser jut out from the rear bumper, while the taillights feature new detailing in a familiar shape – a chrome strip now connects them. Owners, meanwhile, can choose from body color accents, chrome, gloss black, or carbon fiber.

There’s a perfect combination of luxury, technology, and sportiness in the E63’s cabin. In terms of comfort, you get everything you’d expect of an E-Class – plenty of space for passengers and high-quality materials – but it’s mixed with elements like high-performance sport seats, AMG badges, and an Alcantara-like steering wheel with a pair of display knobs for adjusting the car’s settings.

The right knob adjusts the various driving modes, while drivers can cycle the left knob’s display through pages for the stability control, exhaust system, stop/start mode, suspension firmness, and to activate the gearbox’s manual mode. There are redundant buttons for these systems on the center console, near the touchpad for the infotainment system.

That infotainment, the popular MBUX system, matches up with other new Mercedes products, offering drivers a touchpad, as well as a touchscreen, thumbpads on the steering wheel, or via a virtual assistant. The main infotainment screen spans 12.3 inches and remains in single slab with a 12.3-inch display for the digital instrument cluster. This setup works especially well in a performance product, though, allowing drivers to bring up engine stats, a G meter, or a stopwatch with ease.

The E63 continues to offer an impressive suite of active safety, too, although the 2021 E-Class range stands out with a capacitive steering wheel. To keep the systems engaged on the freeway, drivers won’t need to apply steering torque to a sensor – instead, the wheel can recognize when the driver’s hand is on it.

The E63S Wagon’s goal is to offer exploitable performance in ever condition, and it does so brilliantly. The seats envelop the driver and remain comfortable at the same time, while the suspension absorbs everything a highway can throw at it, allowing easy and quiet long-distance runs until the 17.4-gallon tank runs dry.

In Comfort mode, and between 1,000 and 3,200 rpm, the 4.0-liter V8 deactivates half its cylinders to reduce noise and improve fuel economy, although it’s pretty much impossible to get more than 23 mpg in our experience (especially when you’re taking advantage of the willing nine-speed automatic or the inexhaustible supply of torque).

Switching to Sport Plus or Race mode changes things drastically, as the V8 starts to encourage the driver with all 627 lb-ft of torque coming in between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. So much as think of overtaking and the E63 will happily surge to speeds that could cost you your license. It’s that quick. On the straights, it seems to hurl you towards the horizon as G forces crush you into the seat. The performance is supercar-like, with this five-seat wagon reaching 60 miles per hour in just 3.4 seconds.

We were concerned that the restyling would come with a decrease in exhaust volume, as Mercedes attached additional filters to comply with newer pollution regulations, but guess again. This may be a twin-turbocharged engine with modern emissions controls, but the engineers in Affalterbach were able to preserve the E63’s rich baritone.

Unfortunately, we didn’t have the chance to try the new E63 on the track, instead spending our time on straight and flat roads in eastern Germany, a place so uniform in elevation even a telescope can’t help you see a hill. That said, we did get some impressions, despite not fully putting the adaptive dampers, active engine mounts, revised steering calibration, or 4Matic all-wheel drive to too much of a test.

Entering hard into corners, the E63 exhibits virtually no understeer, thanks to the fat tires and neatly tuned steering. Feedback is clear and the rack is weighted well, but it’s not too heavy. At the same time, it’s easy to cause liftoff oversteer.

The 4Matic all-wheel-drive system is rear-drive by default, but uses an electromechanically adjustable clutch to transfer torque forward if necessary. In the sportier drive modes, the system shunts less torque forward for improved cornering performance. If you’re brave, though, you can also select Drift mode to lock off the front axle completely and transform into a pure rear-wheel vehicle. Drift mode isn’t selectable via a knob like Comfort or Sport Plus – instead, you need to select Race, deactivate the stability control, and pull both wheel-mounted paddles.Of course, we don’t recommend such shenanigans. This is still a 16-foot long, 4,700-pound object after all. That said, if the E63 does get loose, the long wheelbase helps with stability.

Entering hard into corners you don't feel the slightest understeer, thanks also to the generous tread tires and a steering that, in the mixed, is always sincere and clear and never too heavy. Exaggerating as much as enough comes out that pleasant tendency of the rear end to widen that helps to close the curve.

Dulcis in fundo, said the Latins. But this time, we’re going to end with what failed to satisfy in the E63. First, the brakes are powerful (especially the optional carbon ceramics), but the brake pedal was lite on bite under light pressure – with over 600 hp on tap, we were hoping for more immediate response. And while the steering is largely good, stability on center and at high speed isn’t what we’d expect of a vehicle that’s supposed to be brilliant at going very fast in a straight line.

Prices for the 2021 Mercedes-AMG E63S start at $112,450 in the United States with deliveries slated for late 2020.

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
civicdrivr (11-06-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 01:30 PM

Love the color, but not the matte. Goes great with the interior as well.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:57 PM
Ex-OEM King

Not a fan of the wheels but do want everything else.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Race Director

For the 2021 model year Mercedes-Benz has updated its all-time best seller, the E-Class. It’s a mid-cycle refresh, not a complete re-do, that includes redesigned front and rear ends and a new 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-six producing 362 hp, which happens to be the same as the outgoing twin-turbo V6. Inside sees new touch-sensitive steering wheel buttons and a 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster. And the MBUX infotainment system is Benz’s latest iteration.

With the update, Mercedes-Benz’s best-selling model now comes in five different flavors: the E350 and E450; the all-wheel-drive E450 All Terrain wagon (4Matic awd is optional on the E350 and 450); the AMG-tuned E53, and the gobmsacking sportscar-in-a-sedan wrapper E63 S. Both the E450 and E53 are available in two-door coupe and ragtop versions.

AMG-specific changes include a restyled front end with an angrier grille (AMG keeps inching all its grilles toward the GT Coupe look and you won’t hear me argue) and redesigned LED headlamps. AMG also revised the front and rear bumpers as well as aerodynamically optimized the 19-inch wheels, for the E 53, and 20-inch wheels, optional on E53 and standard on E63.
The new inline turbo six is a 3.0-liter producing 362-hp and is paired with a 48-volt hybrid system. It sits under the E450 sedan hood and is only available with all-wheel drive. The E450 Coupe and Convertible also get the engine but can be had with rear- or all-wheel drive.

I spent a couple days in the E63 S and followed that up with the E450 Coupe.

First the E63S: Its hand built 4.0-liter, twin-turbo V8 cranks out 603 hp and 627 lb ft (God bless ‘em), enabling the car to hit 60 mph in 3.3 seconds and on to an electronically limited 186 mph top speed, and to do so effortlessly.

Indeed, only after a few miles the new AMG E 63 S feels so much more comfortable than many other AMGs I’ve experienced. This is, AMG officials tell me, due to several changes to this new car including revised software in the adaptive suspension and new bushings. The hard, one-piece plastic bucket seats are gone, too. They looked cool but customers in the U.S. and Europe asked for something more comfortable, and they got it. Perhaps needless to say, the cockpit quality is top notch.

When I punch the accelerator at any speed I prepare to get pushed back into that now-more-comfortable seat, enjoying the hell out of both the oomph and the beautiful roars, and just as impressive, the complete lack of drama.
Ah yes, that: To me the 63 S’ ability to trundle around town like a regular E Class (well, almost like a regular E Class) is what makes it special. Lots of cars can beat me into submission (that’s a compliment) with performance, but how many can do that and cruise around town in perfect comfort? Suddenly the list gets quite a bit shorter.

The switchable modes get large credit here. Comfort mode actually means it this time around and I can’t really say that about previous AMGs I’ve driven. It drives like a nice, pleasant, luxury sedan. Sport turns things up a notch or two, Sport Plus goes up two or three more (particularly in terms of the ride) and Race mode is nutty!

I like the steering regardless of mode, it’s properly weighty and direct, bringing me to my only beef: The steering wheel buttons. I thought the outgoing car’s buttons were too fiddly and I don’t think the new ones are much better. But c’mon, 603 hp! Can I get over myself? Absolutely.

On to the E450 Coupe.

Whisper it: I put more miles on the E450 than I did the E63 S. I know, right?!? It should be the other way around! I’m sorry! (I’ll deny saying any of that publicly.)

Anyway, the E450 Coupe, mine is 4Matic, is a quiet, smooth, lovely midsize car. It’s perfect for taking the long way home. The interior is quite nice, with excellent materials and build quality to match (it also has the aforementioned steering wheel buttons). There’s also a bit more room in there now, or at least it feels like it, including more rear-seat room. Benz’s MBUX system is among the best out there.
This content is imported from {embed-name}. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.The new inline six and nine-speed automatic trans combine for some real oomph when you leg it, and it’s sufficient and steady when you’re just cruising along. It feels quite a bit more refined than the outgoing V6.
The chassis is rock solid, the ride smooth, so comfortably covering great distances is a relaxing cinch. In fact, that could well be the car’s best trait as has been the case with the E Class for quite some time – effortless and comfortable cruising, no matter the speed. The steering is accurate with good feel and if you if you insist on spicing things up some the optional adjustable air suspension’s sport and sport-plus modes make things more interesting on winding roads, and the paddle shifters can also add a little fun.

Overall, as I said, this is a terrific car for cruising or a longer road trip with no particular destination in mind. Its combination of comfort, smoothness and refinement make it terrific for either.

The least-expensive E Class is the 2.0-liter turbo four-powered E350 sedan starting at $55,300. The most-expensive is the E63 S Wagon at $113,500. My E450 starts at $67,450 and totals $78,580 with options including air suspension and a driver assistance package. The AMG I drove starts at $107,500 and with optional carbon brakes and carbon fiber exterior trim, among others, came to $136,290. Frankly I’d be happy with any new E Class, but yeah, gimmee the AMG
https://www.autoweek.com/news/luxury...-benz-e-class/
civicdrivr (11-06-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 861 Posts
After having owned a 2013 E-Class E350 4MATIC (Sport), I considered going back to MB but I had a bad experience. One of my low-profile run-flats developed bubbles in the sidewall from the many potholes in the NE. I was walking back to the car from the mall one day and the tire had completely given out. I was just glad the tire didn't give out while driving! Each tire is super-expensive to replace but no one thinks about that when getting the car!
Old 11-05-2020, 04:16 PM

I replaced the runflats with non-RFTs on my C300. I've got roadside assistance in the event of a flat.

Dramatically improved the car from a comfort perspective, and the non-RFTs had more grip & longer life (35k vs 16k miles on the RFTs).
Old 11-05-2020, 04:19 PM
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 861 Posts

I replaced the runflats with non-RFTs on my C300. I've got roadside assistance in the event of a flat.

Dramatically improved the car from a comfort perspective, and the non-RFTs had more grip & longer life (35k vs 16k miles on the RFTs).
That's always a choice but I would imagine a different mindset holds for lessees who normally want to minimize investment (the E-Class was a 2-yr lease for me).

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: E-Class News