Mercedes-Benz: CLS-Class News

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 08:53 AM

Received 5,558 Likes on 3,793 Posts
https://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-...022-cls53_amg/

Mercedes-AMG has updated the sporty top model of the model series with numerous visual highlights and attractive equipment packages. The standard innovations on the CLS53 4MATIC+ include the redesigned front end with the sporty AMG bumper in A-wing form with black flics and visible air curtains, as well as the AMG signature grille with vertical bars. The surrounds of the windscreen frames are made of polished aluminium or, in combination with the Night Package, in high-gloss black. The exterior mirrors are painted in the colour of the vehicle. Here, too, models with the AMG Night Package or AMG Exterior II Carbon Package are an exception: The mirrors there are finished in high-gloss black or have a housing made of carbon fibre. Mercedes-AMG drivers also steer the CLS with the latest-generation steering wheel, here in nappa leather finish and with the familiar AMG steering wheel buttons with display.

In terms of optional extras, two new packages allow the coupé to be even sportier: the AMG Night Package II, available in combination with the AMG Night Package, includes the radiator grille, Mercedes star at the rear and typography in darkened chrome.

The AMG DYNAMIC PLUS Package enhances dynamics in several respects. The red-painted brake callipers with black AMG lettering add a visual highlight to the exterior. In the interior, the AMG Performance steering wheel in nappa leather/DINAMICA microfibre or alternatively in nappa leather rounds off the package with sporty elegance. Racetrack-fit performance with a sporty emphasis can be experienced in the additional "RACE" driving mode with the Drift mode.

The Mercedes-AMG CLS53 4MATIC+ combines a powerful 320 kW (435 hp) output with sporty style and high efficiency. The integrated starter-generator briefly delivers an additional 16 kW of power and 250 Nm of torque and supplies the 48-volt on-board network. It unites the starter and alternator in one electric motor and is integrated between the engine and transmission. This, as well as the intelligent turbocharging with electric auxiliary compressor (eZV) and exhaust gas turbocharger, pursue the same goal: to offer the performance and driving dynamics characteristic of AMG, while at the same time reducing fuel consumption and emissions. The extremely fast-shifting AMG SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9G transmission, the fully variable AMG Performance 4MATIC+ all-wheel drive and the AMG RIDE CONTROL+ air suspension also contribute to the dynamic driving experience.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:54 AM

Still don't love the new angular design language on the new MBs. Just doesn't look as classy, IMO.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:19 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,062 Posts
Me either but it looks a lot more appropriate on the CLS/CLA cars than others.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:08 AM

True, I'll concede that, I just really don't like it on the new S
Old 04-07-2021, 06:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I think the new S class... while the interior is but i feel it has lost some of the presence on the outside... It does not look "dominate" anymore when driving on the road.

I thought it was an E class when i first saw it on the road from the Rear... that has never happened before with any of the previous Gen S class
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 08:16 AM

Historically, the S & C shared a lot of design, while the E had its own image. MB has been slowly aligning everything to be a lot more similar in design, which I guess makes sense for brand image, but it makes them all look pretty similar on the road. I don't want my $130k luxo-barge being mistaken for a plebian $35k entry level sedan.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:39 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
[UPDATE] Mercedes-Benz has confirmed production of the CLS will come to an end on August 31.

The writing has been on the wall for quite some time, and it looks as though the CLS is finally approaching the end of its life. We're not just talking about the current third-generation model, but the swoopy sedan's demise altogether considering Mercedes hasn't said a word about a new one. A spokesperson for the company's Australian branch told CarExpert that production will come to an end in August.

The Audi A7 Sportback competitor has already been retired Down Under as it's no longer listed in Mercedes Australia's online configurator. The automaker's local representative said it has stopped accepting orders as customers are being redirected toward the recently introduced E-Class (W214): "Orders have ceased and production for the current CLS will end August this year in preparation for the new E-Class."

We've reached out to Mercedes for further confirmation, and we will update the article the moment we hear back. The CLS' imminent discontinuation wouldn't come as a surprise since multiple reports in recent months have speculated the sleeker E-Class is on its way out. The German luxury brand is looking to cut several models and it appears the stylish saloon is sadly one of them.

As a reminder, the SLC, S-Class Coupe, S-Class Convertible, and the AMG GT Convertible are all dead. In addition, the C-Class Coupe and Convertible along with the E-Class Coupe and Convertible will morph into a single CLE Coupe/Convertible pair. The A-Class Sedan is rumored to be facing the axe as well, along with the B-Class minivan. These two compact cars are believed to bow out after the recently facelifted models run their course.

While some cars are being eliminated, new additions are planned. We've already seen the Maybach EQS SUV and it will be followed by an SL roadster carrying the same double M logo. Ultra-exclusive cars part of the "MYTHOS Series" are coming, as is a fully electric EQG. An AMG.EA electric platform tailored to sports cars will land in 2025 after being previewed by the AMG Vision concept.
Mercedes CLS Production To End In August [UPDATE] (motor1.com)
Old 05-09-2023, 09:04 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,062 Posts
TIL the CLS was still in production. I thought they had canned it back when the AMG GT 4 door came out.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:12 AM

I said way back then that I didn't see a market where the 2 exist side-by-side.