Mercedes-Benz: CLS-Class News

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Revolutions
i love how its a 6.2L engine, but they call it the AMG63....wth...lmao. then again, i guess it follows the trend of lexus as well...just because it's a GS430 doesn't mean there's a 4.3L engine in it
yeah, you said this before... we get it man... it's stupid... and how about BMW's 335? It's not really 3.5L... it's NOT a big deal...
Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Post Report: Mercedes-Benz To Build CLS-Based Wagon

From Motor Authority: http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...ls-based-wagon

When Mercedes-Benz revealed the Concept Fascination at the 2008 Paris Auto Show, most in the industry looked at it as a preview of the E-Class Coupe, albeit in shooting brake form. It turns out that prediction was accurate, but there's yet another car coming that may play on its design as well: the CLS wagon.

Reports of the car's green-light for production have begun to emerge today, and though there's nothing official about the car yet, a "high-ranking Mercedes source" is referenced as the source of the information.

So what might a CLS wagon look like? Not terribly unlike the Concept Fascination, but with four doors and more CLS-themed styling. Considering the CLS's coupe-like styling and the presence of rival vehicles like the BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo and Acura ZDX, Mercedes may also be shooting for a patch of that indecipherable niche form factor. Powertrains will mimic the CLS sedan it will share underpinnings with, with both rear-wheel and all-wheel drive models in the offing.

The wagon will come alongside the next generation of the CLS, according to the report, though it won't come until partway through the model cycle. The next-gen CLS is due to hit the U.S. early this year, but the wagon won't be on sale until 2012.

It is expected to make an appearance in concept form this year, however, once again at the Paris Auto Show, no doubt leveraging Mercedes-Benz's fondness for fashion tie-ins.

Check out our review of the 2009 Mercedes-Benz CLS to see what the current sedan is like.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
First we have that stupid "four door coupe" marketing crap and now everyone is wanting to get on the "indecipherable niche form factor" of the X6.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:19 PM
I shoot people

Geneva Preview: Mercedes-Benz F800 Style a sneak peek at next CLS-Class

**not sure if this is considered a new car that deserves it's on thread or just post here...

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/merc...-f800-style/#4

The Mercedes-Benz F800 Style concept car that'll debut at the Geneva Motor Show next month is highly-touted by Mercedes-benz's press release scribes for its green-car tech, but what's probably of greater interest to most of you is its styling, which is everyone's first peek at what the next-generation CLS-Class sedan is going to look like. To that end, get ready for a nose section whose grille apes that of the SLS AMG, plus enough flame-surfaced bodywork to make one envision Chris Bangle, sporting a set of Groucho glasses to mask his true identity, clandestinely moonlighting at Benz. The rear doors are sliders, because it's a concept, and you need to give the people a clear view into the swoopy, sci-fi passenger cabin. Props to Mercedes PR for gamely making it sound as if there's an actual practical application for those doors, though (see the attached press release).

Mercedes-Benz also touts the concept's flexible powertrain platform. The realistic option is a plug-in hybrid system that's basically an offshoot of the V6 light-hybrid setup found in the S400 sedan. Mercedes says this new plug-in gas-electric system, which is good for over 400 combined horsepower, gives the car an EV-only driving range of 18 miles. The automaker has announced that a new plug-in system is headed to the next-gen S-Class, so don't dismiss the F800's hybrid setup as trendy green pandering. Save that cynicism for the concept's other powertrain option: a compact fuel cell/electric setup evolved from the one used in the current F-Cell cars. We have no doubt that the technology itself is genuinely impressive, and we're sure news of its development will be a hit with all the jet-setters at the next snowbound global warming conference. From a mass-production, real-person's-car standpoint, expect to see the fuel cell system in Benz showrooms right after Mercedes intros a 700-horsepower inline 3-cylinder that runs on unicorn milk. Alas, we digress.

The F800 concept also introduces two new technologies that will doubtless appear in upcoming models. Distronic Plus Traffic Jam Assistant is an enhanced version of Mercedes' active cruise control system, which can now steer the car through curves as long as it's traveling under 25 mph. Neat. Also new is the Pre-Safe 360-degree system, which expands the existing Pre-Safe collision detection/mitigation system to the rear of the car. Now, if Pre-Safe senses that a rear-end impact is imminent, it'll apply the brakes in a bid to keep the car from getting into an additional chain-reaction accident involving other cars or pedestrians.

We'll be in Geneva to see the sheet come off the Mercedes-Benz F800 Style in person, and will have plenty of firsthand observations and live photos then. For now, feast your eyes on the gallery below, and check out the Mercedes PR included after the jump.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
This is close enough to CLS that it can stay in this thread.

a 700-horsepower inline 3-cylinder that runs on unicorn milk
Old 02-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MEH!

The current CLS is still an eye-catching piece of design. I would love to get one with the 4Matic option, dressed with the AMG sport package...
Old 02-21-2010, 04:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

I like it!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
love it!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
not feeling the sliding door. reminding me too much of a mini van. id just take the regular cls550
Old 02-22-2010, 10:18 AM

yea, not feeling that door either. but it's the looks that wowed me.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
id just take the regular cls550
Or save even more and take home an 06 CLS55AMG for 35k.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM
I shoot people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVztbFbk5DY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXS2rF5p6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHzb5dP92gA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN99H71TJ-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTSUzguzya0
Old 04-20-2010, 02:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Merc CLS estate revealed

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/248961/

Mercedes-Benz will preview an estate version of the new CLS at this week's Beijing motor show when it unveils this new concept: the Shooting Break.

The estate, outlined in detail by Autocar last month, is among a series of new design-led niche models designed to help build the firm's image.

Inspired by the traditional custom-built, two-door shooting brake, the Shooting Break will become a rival to the forthcoming Audi A7 and the BMW 5-series GT.

"The Shooting Break is based on a tradition of cultivated sportiness," said Gorden Wagener, chief designer at Mercedes-Benz. "At the same time it points the way towards the further development of the design idiom of Mercedes."

Officially Mercedes won't confirm production plans for the car, but documents seen by Autocar reveal it has already been given the internal codename X218. A Stuttgart insider commented, "We don't traditionally provide cars with codenames until they have been granted an official production go-ahead."

At 4960mm long, 1950mm wide and 1444mm tall, the concept car has the same basic dimensions as the forthcoming CLS saloon and is larger all round than the current CLS, with a longer wheelbase.

The most striking styling element of the new CLS is its gaping grille, a feature introduced on the recently launched SLS. Called 'soft nose', this treatment will be used across the Mercedes range in coming years.

The headlamps have 71 LED units, which work on dipped and main beam as well as the indicators; they will be an option on the new CLS.

While the low roofline and frameless doors are carried over from today's saloon, the door openings are larger than the current car's. This should help address criticism of the awkward entry into the car, particularly at the rear.

While the front end will be repeated on the saloon, the Shooting Break's rear is unique, with its heavily angled rear window, top-hinged tailgate and large, LED-enhanced tail-lights extending well into the rear wings.

The tailgate hinges from the trailing edge of the roof, revealing a flat load bay covered in a combination of dark oak and solid aluminium rubbing strips. Mercedes hasn't quoted a load capacity, though with stowage compartments down each side, it's clear the new concept is not going to challenge the E-class estate for outright space.

Inside, the Shooting Break showcases a plush oak and leather-lined cabin, but it also shows us what the cabin of the production CLS will look like.

Unique to the CLS, and not just a reworked E-class cabin, it retains the theme established by the current car, with a centre console that extends through the middle of the individual rear seats. To keep costs in check, the production version will be toned down slightly and receive switchgear from the E-class.

Based on the same rear-wheel-drive platform and chassis as the new CLS saloon itself a development of the E-class platform, but with marginally wider track widths for a more aggressive stancem the CLS Shooting Break also provides the first official clues to a new range of V6 and V8 petrol engines.

Developed under the internal name of MoVE, they will be unveiled in the facelifted CL this August, when the car will be renamed as the S-class coupe.

All the engines come with low-pressure turbocharging and direct injection, designed to improve the lean-burn combustion and thermal properties.

These technologies help to reduce fuel consumption and emissions by a claimed 25 per cent compared with Mercedes-Benz's current naturally aspirated V6 and V8 engines.

The unit fitted to the CLS Shooting Break is a 3.5-litre V6 delivering 306bhp. It is among two petrol engines Mercedes plans to make available in the CLS. The other is a new 4.6-litre V8 that has the same twin-turbocharged and direct injection developments, and produces a claimed 435bhp.

They will be joined by two existing common-rail diesels: a twin-turbo 2.1-litre, four-cylinder unit with 204bhp and a single-turbo 3.0-litre V6 with 231bhp.

All engines will be mated to an upgraded version of Mercedes' 7G-tronic seven-speed automatic gearbox, modified to include a new stop-start function. Further fuel-saving tech will include brake energy regeneration and a decoupling alternator.

Also planned, and due in the UK in March 2011, is a CLS63 AMG. This will have a new turbocharged 5.5-litre V8 engine, which replaces the existing naturally aspirated 6.2-litre V8. It kicks out 544bhp, an increase of 30bhp on today's model, but an even more powerful version of the same engine will be offered as part of a performance package upgrade with 571bhp.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Meh.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Old 04-20-2010, 03:44 AM
I shoot people

I like the 70's Oldsmobile-like interior
Old 04-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
perfect reflection of german high quality of life / small family size (although the two kind of go hand in hand).

could totally picture this thing cruisin' on zie autobahn to the weekend family cottage.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 04-20-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

krio, there's an existing thread for the CLS. Going forward, please do a search before starting a new one, yes...?

Thanks.

Merged.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:47 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
fugly
Old 04-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yumcha
krio, there's an existing thread for the CLS. Going forward, please do a search before starting a new one, yes...?

Thanks.

Merged.
Yumcha sorry but when I go to "search" and digit "merc cls" for example I don't see ANY news about this car... I don't do this intentionally. It happened with "Alfa Romeo" Audi RS5 and so on...
Old 04-20-2010, 12:58 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
The exterior is great....interior...not so much.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by krio
Yumcha sorry but when I go to "search" and digit "merc cls" for example I don't see ANY news about this car... I don't do this intentionally. It happened with "Alfa Romeo" Audi RS5 and so on...
Ah...try a search by title of the manufacturer (full spelling). Especially in Automotive News, I try to have each thread titled with the car-maker (i.e. "Lexus", "Bugatti", "Mercedes-Benz", and so on).

Usually, that will yield all of the threads consisting of the models in the respective automakers lineup. There is the odd time where the search my hiccup but I believe it is in working order now. And of course, if you know the model, as in this case here, do a search for TITLE and in AUTOMOTIVE NEWS of "Mercedes-Benz CLS" and you'll more than likely find the existing thread.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Ah...try a search by title of the manufacturer (full spelling). Especially in Automotive News, I try to have each thread titled with the car-maker (i.e. "Lexus", "Bugatti", "Mercedes-Benz", and so on).

thanks!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:11 PM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
I like the 70's Oldsmobile-like interior
Seriously. Reminds me of my granddad's '75 Chevy Impala.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
to the interior, but the outside looks good (based on those pics anyway).
Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 PM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by elessar
Seriously. Reminds me of my granddad's '75 Chevy Impala.
Come to think of it, maybe this is what they meant by "estate."
Old 04-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Press release for the Shooting Break...

In October 2004 Mercedes-Benz established a new market segment with the four-door Coupé CLS. In September 2008, the brand revealed a fresh and exciting interpretation of the emotionally-appealing Coupé-based design in the form of the Concept FASCINATION. Now making its premiere at Auto China 2010 is the Concept Shooting Break - a further insight by Mercedes designers into the possible future development of the Coupé concept. The Concept Shooting Break also represents a clear indication of the further emotional appeal of the Mercedes design idiom.

Wide and flat, with a long bonnet and a roof which continues through to the rear: the Concept Shooting Break features some astonishing proportions which at the same time are clearly reminiscent of another design icon - the CLS. The design of the front is completely new, but makes use of elements which are mindful of the SLS AMG super sports car: the radiator grille, with the large star and eye-catching, bionic slats, is not integrated into the bonnet but has been designed separately. The grille is flanked on each side by full LED headlamps, which for the first time feature LED technology for all of the usual dynamic light functions. The side profile is given a touch of dynamism thanks to the high, exaggerated beltline sweeping towards the rear, and the dramatic character line which is supported by the powerful-looking rear wheel arches. The coupé-like side view is also emphasised with a low window design which also highlights the greenhouse with polished aluminium trim.

The interior is dominated by natural wood and leather materials. One eye-catching feature is the large full-length centre console. It highlights the four- seat layout as well as the high levels of comfort afforded by the Concept Shooting Break. The wooden floor of the luggage compartment reflects the true interpretation of this area of the vehicle, where the dark-stained silky oak contrasts against inlaid aluminium protective loading strips.

The Concept Shooting Break is driven by the forerunner to the forthcoming new V-engine generation from Mercedes-Benz. The V6 benefits from a 60° cylinder angle and a displacement of 3.5 litres, and is characterised by direct injection featuring a control system which enables lean-burn operation. The six-cylinder engine produces 225 kW (306 hp) with a maximum torque of 370 Nm and in line with the BlueEFFICIENCY criteria of Mercedes-Benz also sets new standards among the competition in terms of fuel consumption.

The exterior: stylish and sporty

The proportions are clearly those of a coupé: the long bonnet, narrow-look windows with frameless side windows, and dynamic roof sloping back towards the rear create a basic stance with which it looks ready for the off. It is only when taking a second look that it becomes clear that the Concept Shooting Break actually has four doors and an estate rear. As such, this study in design reveals its philosophical links with the four-door CLS Coupé, a car which has established a new market segment since 2004 and today is already seen as a design icon which is likely to occupy a very special place in the history of the motor car. The Concept Shooting Break may well be looked back on at some point as having played a similar role, taking ideas from the Concept FASCINATION premiered in 2008 and projecting them into the future.

"The Concept Shooting Break is based on the great tradition of a stylish, cultivated sportiness which has always characterised the great Mercedes Coupés, and it takes this unique legacy an exciting step further", explains Professor Gorden Wagener, chief designer at Mercedes-Benz. "At the same time it points the way towards the future design idiom of Mercedes-Benz."

The vocabulary of the design idiom includes the contrasting play between lines and exaggerated areas, which combine to create an animated area of interaction. The expressive design of the front immediately catches the eye, using elements which are mindful of the SLS AMG super sports car, and with a radiator grille which for the first time is not integrated into the bonnet. This contributes to better pedestrian protection and at the same time also helps to improve the focus on the long, sporty bonnet. The grille is dominated by the large central star, highlighting its relationship to the other Coupés of the Mercedes brand. It is supported by bionic, curved grille slats. Their curved design is reflected in the expressive look of the front apron and air intakes.

Particularly eye-catching are the full LED headlamps, which for the first time offer all of the regular dynamic light functions using LED technology. Inside they are divided into three arrow-shaped layers from top to bottom: the upper layer contains an LED indicator, beneath which is a striking LED side light offering LED low beam functions. The side light can also be seen when the dipped beam function is switched on, thereby creating a novel and separate night-time design and distinctive look. The lowest level of the headlamp houses the main beam and nightview functions. A total of 71 LEDs not only provide an unmistakable appearance, but also a significantly enhanced view of the road compared with previous systems.

The side profile of the Concept Shooting Break is dominated by the low, frameless side windows, the coupé-like shape of which is further highlighted with the incorporation of a polished aluminium frame along the body. Thanks to the positioning of the outside mirrors on the beltline, the side line is emphasised and all-round visibility has been improved in the region of the A-pillars. The side windows are supported on a high beltline, which slopes towards the rear in a fresh interpretation of the classic "dropping line" of iconic Mercedes Coupés. An additional exciting touch has been made with the prominent, muscular hip points which forcefully support the side line. This interaction gives the impression of a sprinter, poised in the starting blocks, ready to release an explosive forward surge of energy. The roof follows through to the rear and also drops away in typical coupé fashion. Another special feature is the recessed, filigree door handles, which emerge on being touched with the aid of sensors to allow access to the interior.

The side view is rounded off with wide wrap-around tail lights featuring LED technology. As such they form a linking element to the low, steeply-angled estate car rear end with top-hinged tailgate. The shape is emphasised by the broad shoulder line, which is clearly visible from behind and supports the lowered-look greenhouse. The twin pipe exhaust system, with two polished exhaust covers, is integrated into the rear bumper, which features an elegantly curved wing.

Also contributing to the special appearance of the Concept Shooting Break is the exceptional paint finish. A satin-finish clear coat has been used, which gives the vehicle's allanite grey magno colour a mysterious glint and also further brings out the Coupé's exquisite lines.

The sporty look of the Concept Shooting Break is complemented with large 20-inch sterling silver wheels, featuring a special bionically arranged five-spoke filigree design. They allow a glimpse of the large brake discs behind. The front wheels are fitted with 255/30 ZR 20 tyres, while the rear of this exceptional vehicle sits on 285/25 ZR 20 tyres.

The interior: design makes quality noticeable; high-quality materials, hand-crafted perfection

A large panoramic glass sunroof provides a glimpse into the high-quality, perfectly hand-crafted interior of the Concept Shooting Break, where natural materials such as wood and leather dominate. Wood is used on the trim elements and door pulls, the instrument panel and centre console, and primarily on the luggage compartment floor in the rear. When it came to choosing the wood, the interior designers opted for silky oak on account of its unusual, lens-shaped texture. The wooden floor in the luggage compartment has inlaid aluminium protective loading strips, and is reminiscent of finishes normally seen in yacht building.

Four saddle bags along the sides of the luggage compartment are useful for storing small tools. They are finished in leather, a material which has been used extensively throughout the Concept Shooting Break: in fact, almost ten square metres of leather have been incorporated into the interior. Light sections of porcelain-coloured nappa leather form an attractive contrast to the dark-brown natural-coloured aniline leather and perforated metallic-silver finish seat cushions and door centre panels. Extensive double-lapped stitching and discerning colour-coordinated upholstery seat piping reflect the hand-crafted perfection and attention to detail, as does the tuck stitching on the instrument panel, door sill covers and seat backrests, all of which highlights the contours of the components extremely well.

Perfection and attention to detail also apply to the trim elements. While on the exterior they are polished to a high-sheen finish, in the interior they feature a matt finish. A total of seven manual processes are necessary – from grinding to polishing - to transform the components, which are milled completely from aluminium, into their final decorative form. The matt finish of the interior trim has also served as inspiration for the metallic-silver leather on the seats, door centre panels and bags in the luggage compartment. The deep-pile carpet in the footwell – finished in porcelain colour – is a luxurious material used by Maybach-Manufaktur. The light-coloured roof liner made of silk cloth adds the finishing touch to the impression of comfortable elegance in the interior.

The Concept Shooting Break is clearly a four-seater. The four identically shaped leather seats have a touch of the sports car about them thanks to their integrated head restraints. Openings in the upper area of the backrests make it possible to see through the seats. A large full-length wood console on the transmission tunnel provides a visual divide between driver and front passenger and at the same time indulges the occupants with two large leather-covered armrests. It also houses two cup holders as well as controls for the rear-compartment air conditioning. The centre console is finished off at the rear with inlaid work: curved Mercedes lettering which harks back to the style of the 1920s. The striking cursive-script lettering is also repeated on the front door sills.

Since the central screen has been integrated into the upper part of the instrument panel, the cockpit has a "wrap-around" effect. The elegant verve and bionic details of the exterior are captured, among other things, in the dynamic wave-design air vents in the instrument panel. An analogue clock sits in the centre. The instrument cluster comprises three tubes for dial-type gauges as well as a colour display for service indications.

The headlamps: exciting LED technology offering full functionality

The Concept Shooting Break has dynamic full LED headlamps, which combine the exciting daylight colour impression of LED technology with the performance, functionality and energy efficiency of today's bi-xenon light generation. The new light system, due to make its debut in series production this year, features the Intelligent Light System which has already been tried and tested in Mercedes models with bi-xenon headlamps. Its five light functions – country lights, motorway lights, enhanced fog lights, active curve lights and cornering lights – have been specifically designed for typical driving or weather conditions.

The light specialists at Mercedes-Benz have also been able to combine LED technology with the innovative Adaptive Highbeam Assist for the first time, leading to a completely new level of safety at night.

The engine: enhanced performance, enhanced efficiency

The Concept Shooting Break is driven by the forerunner to the forthcoming new V-engine generation from Mercedes-Benz. The special features of the spray-guided direct injection engine include the latest generation of piezo-electric injection valves which enable multiple injections. Better lean operation is possible thanks to load monitoring of the pressure information. Even the operation of the ancillary components has been made efficient and there is also a start/stop function. The V6 with a 60° cylinder angle and displacement of 3.5 litres produces 225 kW (306 hp) with a maximum torque of 370 Nm.

It's all in a name: the origins of the name "Shooting Break"

or the homonym Brake, was the name once given to carriages used to "break" in wild horses and also to restrict (or "brake") their urge to move, so that they could be put to use as work horses. Since the carts could easily be broken as part of this process, people tended not to use ones which they may have urgently needed for other purposes. Where necessary, "Brakes" were often fitted out with variable bodies, which were only really used to carry along anything that may have been necessary for the hunt, for example. Any such vehicle which was used when going out shooting was called a Shooting Brake or Shooting Break. In the 1960s and 1970s motorised Shooting Breaks were popular in Great Britain – exclusive cross-over vehicles, which combined the luxuriousness of a coupé with the luggage space of an estate.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

look no engine
Old 04-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Safety Car

That thing is a beast.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Old 04-24-2010, 09:15 PM

i love it...
Old 05-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Hawt.

Spy Photos: 2011 Mercedes-Benz CLS Caught at Photo Shoot

By Daniel Pund | May 21, 2010
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"> PAGESETUP.addControl(function() { YAHOO.util.Event.addListener('disclaimer_popup3041 2', 'click', function(e) { YAHOO.util.Event.preventDefault(e); window.open("http://www.insideline.com/staff/email-disclaimer.html", "","scrollbars=yes,width=770,height=600"); return false; }); }, 'low'); </script>
<!-- end .entry-header -->
Due out late this year as a 2011 model, this heavily styled, newly edgy Mercedes-Benz CLS-class will replace the current coupe/sedan that's so smooth it looks as if it was extruded out of something.
Follow the jump for more photos and information.

In the ebb and flow of car design, everything goes simple and smooth then all at once it goes all edgy and complicated. We are currently witnessing from Mercedes a move to edgy complication.

The basic proportions of the 2011 CLS remain faithful to the original but there's a whole lot of styling added on to it. The flank is a particularly excited surface with curving creases sinking from the belt line and rising up from the rockers. The CLS also inherits the suggestion of a haunch over the rear wheels from the new E-class.

Other differences include a angry headlights, a protruding snout and side mirrors apparently nabbed from the E-class sedan. The vehicle being shot here is a CLS 350, which means it is powered by the company's new 60-degree 3.5-liter, direct-injected V6, which should make 306 horsepower. The CLS will also be offered with new twin-turbo, direct-injected 4.7-liter V8, which Mercedes earlier stated makes 435 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

oh I hope this brings down the price of used CLSs now. I want a cls550
Old 05-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

That thing is beautiful. Too bad a base one in America is going to run mid-70s.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Fantastic!!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 02:50 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 05-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
yum.

Hmm interesting headlight design though with those lines.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: CLS-Class News