Mercedes-Benz: CLS-Class News

Old 10-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS 55 AMG at Paris - - Text & photos courtesy DaimlerChrysler AG - - Source: GermanCarFans.com

A unique amalgamation of power and design
Supercharged AMG 5.5-litre V8-engine with 350 kW/476 hp
AIRMATIC DC air suspension with AMG-specific configuration
AMG SPEEDSHIFT with steering-wheel gearshift in Formula-1 style
18-inch AMG twin-spoke wheels, muscular AMG styling
AMG sports seats with exclusive nappa/nubuck leather upholstery
Imposing performance figures, a dynamic design and exclusive specification: Mercedes-AMG has succeeded in creating a most desirable car in the form of the new CLS 55 AMG. This unique four-door coupé is driven by the powerful and refined AMG V8 supercharged engine, which generates an output of 350 kW/476 hp and 700 Newton metres of torque from a displacement of 5.5 litres. This gives the car truly top-notch performance: the CLS 55 AMG accelerates from standstill to 100 km/h in just 4.7 seconds and reaches 200 km/h after 16.1 seconds; the maximum speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h. The market launch of the CLS 55 AMG is planned for January 2005.

The impressive power of the supercharged V8 engine is due to the sophisticated supercharger technology already familiar from the SL 55 AMG and E 55 AMG. The belt-driven supercharger and the intercooler are located between the banks of cylinders; these work together with the low temperature radiator in the front end to achieve particularly efficient cooling of the charge air.

As in the other AMG high-performance cars, the engine power is transferred to the wheels via the AMG SPEEDSHIFT five-speed automatic transmission. This allows the driver to choose between fully automatic or manual gear changes, the latter being possible by using either the selector lever or – in Formula-1 style - the gearshift buttons on the ergonomic AMG sports steering wheel. In the manual "M" programme the driver is able to make full use of the high torque generated by the supercharged V8 engine, as there is no automatic downshift under full load or during kick-down; the automatic transmission steadfastly remains in the selected gear. In the manual shift programme AMG-SPEEDSHIFT does not automatically execute an upshift when it reaches the engine speed limit, which allows drivers with a particularly sporty style to make even better use of the high performance potential.

Other technical highlights of AMG-SPEEDSHIFT include lockup of the torque converter from 1st gear, active engine-braking downshift and the "optimal gear function"; these provide an extremely direct driving experience in conjunction with more spontaneous and up to 35 percent faster gear changes.

Newly developed AMG sports suspension based on AIRMATIC DC
The powerplant is superbly complemented by the AMG sports suspension and the AMG high-performance braking system of the CLS 55 AMG. Mercedes-AMG engineers have developed a new AMG sports suspension based on the semi-active air suspension AIRMATIC DC with the Adaptive Damping System. Both the springs and dampers are configured more stiffly compared to the CLS 500. AMG shock absorbers with modified characteristics in all three stages result in reduced body movements. The suspension of the CLS 55 AMG has been lowered by ten millimetres compared to that of the other models in the CLS-Class. Automatic level control all-round ensures that spring travel remains exactly the same even when the car is laden. Larger stabilisers reduce body roll when negotiating bends at speed.

AIRMATIC DC enables the driver of the CLS 55 AMG to choose between more comfort-oriented or very sporty handling characteristics; both the dampers and springs instantly respond to the current driving situation, controlled by the latest micro-electronics. Information relating to the steering and yaw angles of the car body, linear and lateral acceleration, the vehicle attitude and the style of driving is processed for this purpose. The desired configuration can also be set manually in three stages at the touch of a button, meeting a wide variety of customer wishes. Thanks to its direct steering ratio, the power-assisted, speed-sensitive power steering included as standard ensures precise handling in any driving situation. Below 100 km/h the power assistance is automatically increased in the interests of a lower steering effort. Above this threshold the servo effect is reduced for the benefit of road-contact feel.

The electronic suspension control system – which includes ESP - has been adapted to suit the extremely dynamic performance. The innovative traction function meets the most demanding requirements: specific braking intervention at the inside wheel on bends – without reducing engine power – means that engine torque is transferred to the wheel which has better traction. This achieves the same effect as a mechanical limited-slip differential. Valuable experience gained over more than three decades of motor sports provided the basis for a high-performance power transfer, with a more robust propeller shaft, a new steel rear axle with reinforced wheel location elements and drive shafts, together with spring links of welded high-strength steel. The rear axle differential features cooling fins which reduce the oil temperature by up to 20 degrees Celsius.

High-performance braking system adopted from the SL 55 AMG Roadster
The CLS 55 AMG is equipped with the acclaimed high-performance braking system of the SL 55 AMG, which is based on the electro-hydraulic braking system Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC™). Internally ventilated, perforated disc brakes all round and silver-painted, eight-piston brake callipers at the front guarantee impressive deceleration values with a high fade resistance. The major details of the AMG high-performance braking system at a glance:

18-inch AMG light-alloy wheels and powerful AMG bodystyling
The chosen combination of wheels and tyres also contributes to dynamic handling, with wide-base tyres in size 255/40 and 285/35 mounted on 8.5 and 9.5-inch wide, 18-inch twin-spoke AMG light-alloy wheels. AMG light-alloy wheels in a four-spoke design are also available in the same sizes and with the same tyres. In addition the CLS 55 AMG can be visually enhanced with 19-inch AMG light-alloy wheels in a new five-spoke design with tyres in size 255/35 and 285/30. A tyre pressure loss warning system is standard equipment. This ESP-based system detects deviations from the nominal values on the basis of various data such as wheel speeds, lateral acceleration, yaw rate and wheel moments, showing any irregularities in the cockpit’s central display as a warning message: "Tyre pressure, check tyres".

Muscular AMG bodystyling for sophisticated coupé elegance
The sophisticated coupé design of the CLS 55 AMG is characterised by muscular AMG bodystyling, which includes a striking front apron with large air intakes and round fog lamps, side skirts and a prominent diffuser-look rear apron. Visual and acoustic highlights are provided by the two oval, chrome-plated tailpipes of the AMG sports exhaust system. The distinctive radiator grille with three robust, silver-painted vanes and "V8 KOMPRESSOR" lettering on the front wings are further identifying features. The harmoniously integrated spoiler lip on the boot lid reduces lift at the rear axle by approx. 30 percent, further improving handling stability at high speeds.

Comprehensive, high-grade standard equipment with nappa leather upholstery
The interior appointments of the CLS 55 AMG represent a pleasing combination of exclusive, sporty styling, high-quality materials and outstanding quality of finish. The design of the new AMG multicontour sports seats exhibits special AMG perforations, lateral piping and double stitching; the seats are heated and feature an AMG emblem, as well as Alcantara panels at shoulder level which ensure excellent lateral support when taking bends at high speed. There are numerous electrical adjustments for the front seats, and different settings can also be stored using a memory function.

The plentiful high-quality appointments in the CLS 55 AMG include fine nappa leather in a choice of three colours for the seat upholstery, centre door panels and the centre armrest, an AMG ergonomic sports steering wheel with gearshift buttons, an AMG instrument cluster with a 320-km speedometer scale, white dials, red needles, "V8 KOMPRESSOR" lettering, chromed door sill panels with the AMG logo and sporty pedals of polished stainless steel with rubber studs.

The extensive standard appointments in the CLS 55 AMG also include exotic wood trim in matt silk burr walnut, THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control, ISOFIX child seat attachment points in the rear and bi-xenon headlamps together with the Active Light System.

The following extras are available for further individualisation (extract):

DISTRONIC proximity control
COMAND APS with DVD navigation system
Dynamic multicontour seats in the front
Remote boot lid locking
KEYLESS-GO
Luxury front seats with ventilation
Tyre pressure monitoring system
Surround sound system
LINGUATRONIC voice control system
TV tuner
Decorative trim in high-gloss or matt silk laurel
Exclusive designo metallic paintwork, leather upholstery and trim
An exclusive designo range will be available for the new CLS 55 AMG from April 2005. Customers will be able to configure their own personal vehicle from a range of 13 different metallic paint finishes and single-tone designo leather upholstery in a choice of ten colour tones. The designo seats are in a distinctive design with six-fold longitudinal piping, double-topstitched seams and a matt chrome designo emblem. As an exclusive additional feature, the Alcantara roof lining is available in a choice of anthracite, pebble beige or alpaca grey. The range of decorative trim comprises designo matt natural oak, cinnamora designo matt red brown or designo black piano lacquer.

Perfected occupant protection as standard, PRE-SAFE available rom 2005
With the occupant protection system in the CLS 55 AMG, Mercedes-Benz is once again reinforcing its claim to be the trailblazer in car safety. The design of the passenger cell offers passengers a high level of protection in any type of accident. Intelligent restraint systems such as adaptive front airbags, high-performance belt tensioners on all four seats, belt force limiters (adaptive in the front), front sidebags and windowbags are standard equipment. Sidebags for the rear passengers are available as optional equipment.

From the beginning of 2005, the pioneering, award-winning PRE-SAFE protection system will become available for the CLS 55 AMG. PRE-SAFE already recognises critical handling situations which might lead to an accident in advance. This enables the vehicle's occupants to be preventively prepared for an impending collision:

The seat belts of the driver and front passenger are pre-tensioned as a precaution.

If unfavourably adjusted, the front passenger seat is brought into a more favourable position with respect to its longitudinal adjustment and cushion/backrest angle.

The sunroof and side windows are automatically closed.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

World exclusive first drive: CLS55 AMG is a shiny new hammer - - By BOB GRITZINGER - - Source: Autoweek
Old 10-06-2004, 12:02 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
one of the sexiest cars ever
Old 12-26-2004, 08:19 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=183&n=157
Old 03-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: Autobild.de
Old 03-20-2005, 01:04 AM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw a black one on the road the other day, hot ride!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 02:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Astroboy
sexxxxxxy cars
I am still digging your avatar...it's like a necrophili-mouse.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:20 AM
hail to the victors

beautiful
Old 03-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow another 600+HP Mercedes...
Old 03-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

ac, after selling his renntech e55 was scheduled to pick up his cls55 but decided to go w/ a CL55 after he saw it in person. something about the rear end looking wierd
Old 03-20-2005, 12:54 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
I love that car.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by darrinb
saw a black one on the road the other day, hot ride!!!
I saw a black one about 2 weeks ago here in Houston...it is more beautiful in person than the pics can even show...
Old 03-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Safety Car

I love this this car. The CLS is what every MB should be.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Safety Car

It's a beautiful car. My MB of choice. Though I continuge to love the E.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i saw 8 of those on the road already. a bunch of silver ones, a few black ones, and two white ones. it definitly turns my head everytime i see one. beauitful car, but already too common.

7 speed.. wouldnt that be kinda exhausting for the car to handle? sounds like its gonna be busy shifting all day. hahaha. damn how am i supposed to get used to a 7speed when i drive a 4speed auto TL?? that's freakin 3 more gears to play around with!
Old 04-23-2005, 01:46 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

2007 Mercedes CLS65

http://nytimes.edmunds.com/insidelin...ticleId=105395

Mercedes-Benz CLS65 Out in the Open

Date Posted 04-18-2005

With the standard CLS500 and CLS55 already flying off the lots, Mercedes-Benz has turned its attention to an even more powerful model — the 2007 CLS65. Clearly identifiable by its distinctive front-quarter intercooler vents, this prototype was caught undergoing road testing in Germany.

Like the current AMG products bearing that nameplate, the CLS65 will offer over 600 horsepower from a twin-turbo 6.0-liter V12. A five-speed automatic is the most likely transmission, but this could be the first V12 to use Mercedes' seven-speed unit. We'll see.

The rearview shows no badging, but massive rubber front and rear is clearly visible from behind. The wheels wear the same design as those found on the S65, so expect sizes in the 19-inch range with 275/35 rubber in back.

Although it's hard to imagine that the CLS65 will be any more athletic than the current CLS55, there are plenty of buyers in the U.S. who are willing to shell out the extra $50K just to get the badge. Expect a Frankfurt debut in September followed by U.S. sales later this year.

Last edited by JATTerbot 0.9; 04-23-2005 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:21 AM
Banned

um i saw one today and mistaked it for a maybach
Old 04-23-2005, 02:23 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

that shit looks HAWT
Old 04-23-2005, 02:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JATTerbot 0.9
that shit looks HAWT
doesnt look that great in person, i was like uhh... what is that, i didnt realize what it was til i saw this picture n saw the taillights
Old 04-23-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm back, biatch.

...another car I will never own...
Old 04-23-2005, 02:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by teg_to_TSX
...another car I will never own...
never want to own* oh yah "jk"
Old 04-23-2005, 02:55 AM
I'm back, biatch.

Originally Posted by 55M2G7L
never want to own* oh yah "jk"
How much is it?
Old 04-23-2005, 02:58 AM
Banned

How much is it?
prolly like 100millison doallars mauauahhahaha
Old 04-23-2005, 03:18 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

How much is it?
probably between 85k-95k....
Old 04-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 55M2G7L
doesnt look that great in person, i was like uhh... what is that, i didnt realize what it was til i saw this picture n saw the taillights
Interesting you said that... I saw one the other day and thought that was the sexiest Benz I'd ever seen.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JATTerbot 0.9
probably between 85k-95k....
Isn't this the CLS65? If that is the case it will be between 140,000-150,000. The 65 series is usually priced 50,000-60,000 above the 55's.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:44 AM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by titan
Interesting you said that... I saw one the other day and thought that was the sexiest Benz I'd ever seen.
The CLS is my second favorite MB behind the SL. However, anyone who is over 5'10" is going to struggle sitting in it. I am 6'0" and had to lower the seat all the way down and then dip down for my head to not touch the roof.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:08 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Originally Posted by cob3683
Isn't this the CLS65? If that is the case it will be between 140,000-150,000. The 65 series is usually priced 50,000-60,000 above the 55's.
oh well I was just guessing.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The CLS is my second favorite MB behind the SL. However, anyone who is over 5'10" is going to struggle sitting in it. I am 6'0" and had to lower the seat all the way down and then dip down for my head to not touch the roof.
Yeap. And things are worse in the rear.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Banned

am i the only one that thinks that shit is busted? first off ive seen in on the road ONCE. second off, that rear is way too dumpy. it looks like its hauling its ass around all day. the way the lines on the sides of the car slope down instead of upwards as it approaches the rear makes it seem like a old mans car, kinda like a jag.

i do like the front though
Old 05-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I see no need for the CLS 65 versus the 55 other than image and being able to say you have a more exclusive version of the car.

From looking at the (any model) 55 vs 65 performance stats, they perform almost identically due to the fact the 65 produces an absolutely insame amount of torque (700 lb/ft) that mostly transfers the extra power into tire smoke and not into tangible performance increases.

Hey, I guess if you have the extra $$, why not spend it?
Old 05-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Burn some dust here

The 65 series are not worth the $$$ difference. They really won't be worth the difference when the 63's come out.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Jaydef03
am i the only one that thinks that shit is busted? first off ive seen in on the road ONCE. second off, that rear is way too dumpy. it looks like its hauling its ass around all day. the way the lines on the sides of the car slope down instead of upwards as it approaches the rear makes it seem like a old mans car, kinda like a jag.

i do like the front though

Hehehe... I hate the front. I love the side of it and am OK with the rear. Overall, nothing super special but it looks great considering it's a sedan. Only then it looks good.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Banned

btw the headlights seem like a nissan ripoff. (thinking of the Fuga esp.)
Old 05-01-2005, 08:29 PM
The hair says it all

good news guys, my parents ordered me a cls 55 amg for my surprise bday present!! i cant believe it!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by Python2121
good news guys, my parents ordered me a cls 55 amg for my surprise bday present!! i cant believe it!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2005, 08:39 PM
The hair says it all

one can only wish

edit: and i KNOW there was that person that looked and goes "oh, hes from westchester....i'd believe it" haha

im def not in the class where my parents buy me crazy shit (3.0cl is more then enough to make me extremely happy), but some dude i know takes out his parents vanquish whenever he wants, now thats crazy!
Old 05-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by Python2121
one can only wish

edit: and i KNOW there was that person that looked and goes "oh, hes from westchester....i'd believe it" haha

im def not in the class where my parents buy me crazy shit (3.0cl is more then enough to make me extremely happy), but some dude i know takes out his parents vanquish whenever he wants, now thats crazy!
I can definitely believe it. Two brothers (they were twins) that lived next to me during my freshman year (2001) both had M5's. It was their 18th birthday presents from their parents.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Banned

i know a kid in westchester that takes out his dads vanquish as well... white plains area? r we talking ab the same guy?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:32 AM
The hair says it all

scarsdale, i dont know i actually know more then 1 kid who has that car and is allowed to do that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: CLS-Class News