Mercedes-Benz: A-Class News

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:03 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/me...ty-power-grip/

Mercedes-AMG introduced the all-new A35 earlier this year and it’s a hot hatch which slots between the mainstream model and the high-performance A45.

While the car was introduced back in September, the first reviews are finally out and we’re getting a look at how well the model stacks up against the Volkswagen Golf R. This comparison might sound odd at first glance, but both models are all-wheel drive hatchbacks which feature a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine.

In the case of the Golf R, the engine produces 305 hp (228 kW / 310 PS) and 295 lb-ft (400 Nm) of torque. This allows the model to rocket from 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 4.6 seconds.

The A35, on the other hand, is slightly less powerful as it is rated at 302 hp (225 kW / 306 PS) and 295 lb-ft (400 Nm) of torque. Given the similar performance figures, it’s not too surprising the entry-level AMG can run from 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 4.7 seconds before hitting a limited top speed of 155 mph (250 km/h).

With the primer out of the way, let’s find out how the A35 stacks up. Auto Express comes away pretty impressed as their reviewer says the model is “composed, sharp and lightning fast.” The review also notes the car has tons of grip and only provides hints of understeer at the absolute limit. Overall, they deem the A35 a “truly premium product” that makes the Audi RS3 seem “immediately dated.”

Autocar was similarity positive as they also said the car has lots of grip and an improved all-wheel drive system. They also praised the model’s steering and ride quality. In the end, they said the A35 is more rewarding and engaging than the previous A45.

35.5k GBP = ~$46k USD at current exchange rates.
Golf R MSRP is just under $41k

Last edited by 00TL-P3.2; 12-06-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:05 AM

Saw a 3G (W176) A250 with Mexican plates earlier this week, so much better looking than the GLA.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:34 PM

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...-class-review/

THE GOOD: The A220 is loaded with Mercedes' latest in-car tech, and it's fun to drive.

THE BAD: Fuel economy isn't all that, and its price flies hot on the C-Class' tail when options are involved.

THE BOTTOM LINE: The A-Class is now the sub-$40,000 luxury sedan to beat, and that's not good for the competition.

An entry-level car in a luxury automaker's lineup should offer a solid blend of everything the company has to offer in a smaller, more affordable package. A buyer's first experience with a brand should convince them to stick around as time goes on, and as promotions and pay raises pop up.

By that standard, the outgoing Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class was garbage. While the price was right, its coupe-like roof made the rear seats uncomfortable for grown adults, and low-quality interior materials punctuated its ho-hum design. It wasn't a product that made you want to stick around.

That all changes with the 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class. While there is a new CLA-Class on the way, the A-Class now stands as the least expensive way to slide into a new Merc, and it rocks. Consider the bar raised for everyone.

When I first saw Mercedes-Benz's new design language on the CLS-Class, I wasn't exactly sold on it. Now that I see the A-Class Sedan, though, I get it. In this instance, the design is well proportioned -- the headlights and grille aren't cartoonishly large or small, and the silhouette promises more space than the cramped CLA-Class ever offered. Even the trunk is suitably sized for a family's worth of groceries or enough wreaths to make a two-story home sufficiently festive.

My A-Class Sedan has a little extra anger thanks to the $2,600 AMG Line styling package, which adds sharper angles in the bumpers, a slightly lower suspension and the stunning diamond-block grille. The 19-inch AMG wheels are an extra $500. Consider this an early warning about the A-Class' price: It may start low, but if you want to get fancy, things are going to get expensive in a hurry. Hell, my tester's shade of silver (silver!) costs $720.

Whereas the outgoing CLA-Class used an impressive variety of low-quality materials inside, the A-Class looks and feels twice as expensive. The dashboard makes clever use of layering, so that the "floating" screens up front don't look tacked on. The only bad plastics that I can find are located in places normal people would never touch, like the bottom of the transmission tunnel. Everything else, from the door's switchgear to the dashboard, feels more expensive than the price belies. I'm not the biggest fan of piano black trim, which attracts fingerprints like sugar attracts ants, but it still looks premium.

The seats are plenty supportive, but I recommend ditching the $1,450(!) red leather, which is a little racy for a non-performance car. Visibility from those seats is also excellent, with plenty of rearward sightlines through the aft glass (something the CLA-Class lacked in spades) and barely-there blind spots. The rear seats offer leagues more headroom than the CLA-Class, and there's sufficient legroom for a six-foot-tall passenger to feel comfortable behind a six-foot-tall driver.

For an extra $310, the A-Class can be equipped with a 64-color ambient lighting system, and it's one of the most impressive I've ever used. In addition to letting me set my color from a spectrum wheel, the system also offers predetermined animated color schemes that flow through multiple colors. It will be the first thing every passenger talks about, guaranteed. For as much wow factor as it supplies, the price is right.

The A220 doesn't have the strongest motor, but it definitely makes the most of it. My tester's 2.0-liter turbocharged I4 puts out 188 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque, sent to all four wheels by way of a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission (front-wheel drive is available, too). All that torque makes for strong starts, and while the transmission's low-speed antics can be a little on the clunky side, shifts at speed are plenty smooth. When it comes time to accelerate, lower gears are called up with haste.

There are drive modes on offer, but I find them unnecessary. The car is best left in its standard Comfort mode, which offers the right kind of throttle sensitivity and shift performance. Eco short-shifts too much for my tastes, and Sport takes things too far in the opposite direction. There are shift paddles behind the wheel, but those are probably best left for whatever hardcore AMG variant arrives later. The steering is the right kind of tight, and the AMG Line package's brakes are grippy, but the pedal isn't so sensitive that heads will bob at every red light.

Things are equally peachy on the handling front. The ride is composed, but not overly uncomfortable, even with my tester's 19-inch wheels and thin 225/40R19-series Pirelli Sottozero winter tires. It feels pretty darn close to my Volkswagen Golf, actually. It doesn't feel as bouncy as editor Steven Ewing suggested in his first drive, but I also don't have experience with a front-wheel-drive variant for comparison purposes, so I suggest test driving both if you're at the dealer.

Some of that shine disappears on the economy front, though. While the stop-start system didn't shake the cabin with every restart (some weren't felt at all), my tester's AWD layout likely ate into fuel economy a bit. According to the trip computer, I averaged about 22 miles per gallon in the city and just under 30 mpg on the highway. That's a far cry from the CLA-Class' EPA-estimated 24 mpg city and 32 highway with all-wheel drive (24 city, 37 highway with FWD). The EPA hasn't published figures for the A-Class Sedan as of this writing, but hopefully it'll be a little higher than what I'm experiencing.

The A-Class isn't just tech-forward, it's one of the most technologically advanced Mercedes-Benz vehicles across the lineup. In today's world of subscription services and smart homes, Mercedes has a winning strategy on its hands -- younger buyers like tech, and it's all available on its most affordable vehicle.

Base models make do with two 7-inch screens on the dashboard, but I believe the pair of 10.25-inch screens are damn near mandatory, even though they're part of the $2,100 Premium Package. The instrument cluster offers incredible variety, letting me swap out each gauge for different information screens while displaying the navigation map in the middle. All that is adjusted through the touchpad on the left side of the steering wheel, a system that's devilishly easy to master with minimal distraction.

Mercedes-Benz's new MBUX (say each letter, don't call it "M-Bucks") infotainment system is a beaut. It takes all the capabilities of the old COMAND system and gives it a prettier, more responsive wrapper while throwing Apple CarPlay and Android Auto into the mix. The screen is finally touch-capable, so you can ignore the center console's touchpad if it's not your speed, but it can also be manipulated using the second thumbpad on the right side of the steering wheel. If you do use the touchscreen, keep a lens cloth on hand to keep the screen free of ugly finger grease.

MBUX also packs a new voice-recognition system. A simple "Hey, Mercedes" will cause the system to spring to life, accepting natural voice commands (for example, "I'm cold.") and translating them to actions (raising the climate control temperature). I don't find the call-and-response system as sensitive as Ewing did on his first drive. In fact, it only seems to pick up my requests when the vehicle is stationary -- manually activating the assistant from the steering wheel, on the other hands, works all the time for me.

MBUX's newfangled tech gets even wilder with the $1,150 Multimedia Package. In addition to enabling embedded navigation, it also includes an augmented-reality system that overlays translucent navigation directions over a real-time view from the front camera. It's neat to watch, and thankfully it doesn't take over the screen at highway speeds, but I have concerns about its distraction potential when it engages at normal road speeds. It still looks neat, though.

While automatic braking is standard, the whole complement of active and passive driver aids is hidden behind a $2,250 Driver Assistance Package. It adds things like full-speed adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring and steering assist on the highway, all of which work effortlessly. It also has route-based speed adaptation, which I only find frustrating. Even though I think it's off, it still slows my vehicle more than 5 mph around curves on the highway, which is not the kind of behavior I want from a car in the left lane (or any lane, really).

As of this writing, Mercedes-Benz has not yet enabled its online configurator or announced prices. For the sake of this section, I'll assume the starting price is $35,000 for a front-wheel-drive A220, and I'll only include packages for which I know the prices. AWD is a $2,000 option on the C-Class, but it's unclear how much it'll add to the A-Class Sedan's bottom line.

I'll ditch my tester's $750 Iridium Silver paint and its $1,450 red leather seats, but I'll keep the $325 natural wood trim, since I like it. I'll hold onto the $2,100 Premium Package for the larger screens, the $310 ambient lighting system and the $200 Qi wireless device charger. I'll also keep the $1,090 option that adds a surround-view camera system and the aforementioned $1,150 Multimedia Package for navigation.

So what did I ditch from my tester's spec? On top of the interior aesthetics, I'm omitting the $500 AMG wheels, $280 for a garage door opener, $900 for adaptive headlights, $2,600 for the AMG styling package, $460 for satellite radio, $850 for the Burmester audio system and $2,250 for the extra driver assists.

Assuming that $35,000 base price (plus a $2,000 AWD upcharge), my tester comes in at an eye-watering $52,660, including $975 in destination charges. My personal spec, on the other hand, is much more palatable at $41,150 including destination, and it has almost all the whiz-bang gadgetry of my tester.

With a new CLA-Class on the horizon, which will undoubtedly pack every single update discussed and lauded in this review, Mercedes-Benz's entry-level offerings will soon be second to none. The Audi A3 both looks and feels less exciting than the Benz. BMW doesn't really have an analogous model, but Acura does offer the compact ILX as a competitor -- that said, the ILX doesn't look or feel as good as the A220 does.

It's hard not to position the A-Class Sedan at the top of its segment, even though it's not even on sale yet. It comes out of its gates swinging, offering some of the most advanced tech in its segment -- albeit at a price point that varies from "affordable-ish" to "why didn't you just buy the C-Class?" If you can stomach the window sticker, the A-Class Sedan is one of, if not the best way to dip your toes into the luxury-vehicle pool.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:45 AM

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-pricing-2019/

It undercuts the 2019 CLA by just $600.Mercedes-Benz has announced that its newest, smallest car, the 2019 A-class sedan, will start at $33,495 when it goes on sale in early 2019. That makes it the least expensive car that Mercedes sells, undercutting the current CLA by $600. The low cost of entry should help bring even more new customers to the brand; the company says more than 50 percent of CLA buyers were new to the Mercedes-Benz brand.

Despite the price, the A-class sedan has a long list of standard equipment. A panoramic sunroof, LED head- and taillights, automated emergency braking, and dual 7.0-inch screens (one in place of the gauge cluster and one for the infotainment) are all standard. Options will include features like adaptive cruise control, augmented-reality navigation, and AMG Line body styling. Adding all-wheel drive costs $2000, meaning the 2019 A220 4Matic's price is $35,495.

So far, Mercedes has only announced the base prices, but a spokesperson told us that a configurator with detailed option pricing will go live on the Benz website later this week. We'll update this story when more information is available.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:44 PM

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/ca...hatch-u-s-not/

Fans of premium compact hatchbacks aren’t exactly spoiled for choice in the United States, their only options being the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron, Mini Clubman, and Infiniti QX30.

In this context, it can be frustrating to see that Canada is getting the new Mercedes-Benz A-Class hatchback while the United States is not. So yes, Canadian buyers have been able to order themselves a brand new 2019 A-Class hatchback since November 2018.

Now, MBPassionBlog reports the model has arrived at Mercedes’ Canadian dealers in two configurations — the A250 and A250 4Matic. Both are powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engine producing 221 hp (224 PS) at 5,500 rpm and 258 lb-ft of torque between 1,800 and 4,000 rpm.

Linked to a standard 7G-DCT automatic transmission, the engine drives the front wheels in the standard model and all four wheels in the A250 4Matic. The A250 starts at C$35,990 (about $27,500 in U.S. currency) while the A250 4Matic is priced from C$37,990 (approximately $29,000). The prices don’t include tax and delivery costs.

So what do Canadian customers get for their money? Quite a lot, as it turns out. The standard spec sheet includes a panoramic glass sunroof, LED headlights and taillights, 17-inch alloys, Artico upholstery, heated front seats (power adjustable with memory function for the driver), Thermotronic automatic climate control, 7-inch MBUX infotainment system, rearview camera, Dynamic Select and much more.

Canadian buyers who want more features can choose between five packages (Premium Package, Navigation Package, Sport Package, Technology Package, and Night Package). Several standalone options are also available.

Like in the United States, the A-Class sedan is also available in Canada in A220 and A220 4Matic configurations.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:31 PM

https://www.motor1.com/news/306136/m...put-confirmed/

The bevy of rumors about the Mercedes-AMG A45's bountiful output are true because the hot hatch is coming in 383- and 416-horsepower (285- and 310-kilowatt) tunes. Despite riding on a front-wheel-drive-focused platform, the sophisticated all-wheel-drive system allows for a drift mode, according to Autocar after taking a ride in a prototype.

The A45's 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder uses the engine from the 302-hp (225-kW) A35 as a starting point, but the engineers make such significant changes that Mercedes classifies it as a completely different powerplant. The developers aren't yet willing to divulge the black magic necessary to increase the output from the 383-hp version to the 416-hp tune, according to Autocar.

The A45 has a very high-tech all-wheel-drive system. Rather than a single differential routing power to the rear, there is a separate clutch for each wheel back there. This layout allows for quick reacting torque vectoring that can send up to 100 percent of the power to a single corner. Sensors monitor traction, throttle position, yaw angle, and steering angle to determine how to proportion the torque.

While drift mode exists, it requires a secret code to activate, at least on this prototype. Put the drive setting in Race, turn off the ESP, pull both steering wheel paddles, and then pull just the right paddle. The tech then makes the A45 slide with the slightest provocation.

Expect the A45 to debut soon, possibly even at the Geneva Motor Show on March 5. Sales in Europe should begin until the end of the year. Americans need to wait to experience this powerplant until Mercedes introduces the inevitable CLA45.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:51 AM

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-merced...sed-1833592479

If you want a new Mercedes-AMG that’s compact and not astronomically expensive, you could check out the 2019 A35 hatchback. But if you live in the U.S. you’re out of luck. You still are, kind of, but now it appears that the 2020 Mercedes-AMG A35 is making its way to America in the form of a sedan.

With the U.S. arrival of the A-Class earlier this year an AMG variant seemed inevitable and indeed, it’s been talked about for some time. But I’m still excited that this particular prophecy has been fulfilled.

The 2020 A35 will have a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine rated to 302 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque by Mercedes, with a seven-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive.

That’s a pretty significant bump from the A220, which makes a claimed 188 horsepower and 221 lb-ft of torque with front or all-wheel drive.

Mercedes promises a 0 to 60 mph time of a swift 4.7 seconds for the A35, and since the base A-Class is currently the company’s cheapest car, it’s logical to assume the A35 will be the cheapest car you can get new that’s been breathed on by AMG. Excluding whatever diluted “AMG Sport” options you can put on whatever, of course.

Official pricing has not been announced, but an A220 lists at $32,500 while a CLA250 lists at $33,100 and a CLA45 starts at $53,100. In Germany, where you can already get an A35 hatchback, the car lists for the equivalent of about $45,000 so that’s probably close to what we’ll have to pay for one here.

That money would probably be spent more smartly on an E-Class AMG that’s already done 50,000 miles or so, but we’ll keep that to ourselves since we need people buying new cars so we can pick them up used later, right?

That said the A35 really is a sweet looking little package, and of course comes with the benefit of Mercedes’ impressive new human-machine interface.

And, yes, I would imagine an even more powerful A45 is in the pipeline eventually, too. I wouldn’t count on the hatchback ever coming to America, though. Mercedes couldn’t have its U.S. customers being mistaken for Mazda people, after all.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:52 AM

My only real knocks on it are that the badges look our of place on the trunk, think they'd look better above the taillights (debadge).
Wish there was a 'hood'/surround on the screen(s). I'm accustomed to the iPad screen for the infotainment, but less of a fan of it for the gauge cluster.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:15 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
That gauge cluster looks terrible in photos. But the rest of the car is a big improvement.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:21 AM

I've only seen 1 on the road so far, but I like it better than the CLA for sure. Too small for me right now, with 2 kids in carseats. Maybe one of these AMG-lite models would fit the bill in a few years.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:28 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
My only real knocks on it are that the badges look our of place on the trunk, think they'd look better above the taillights (debadge).
I'm going to go with the cheesy Fast and Furious-inspired interior accent lighting. WTF?

Old 03-27-2019, 01:41 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
People like to personalize their cars. I'm sure there's a plain white lighting option, or off, even.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,829 Likes on 3,850 Posts
So...300hp 2.0L turbo for $45k? Buy Golf R, get similar performance, save $5k or more depending on options (and depreciation), and get a hatch to (as a?) boot. Unless you're only in it for the badge...

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-27-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:29 PM

True, I could do without all the vent lighting. Been a while since I've been in my grandmother's S550 at night to remember if the ambient is brightness adjustable, I do recall a few color options. I'm sure these promo shots have it cranked to the max.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:03 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by AZuser
I'm going to go with the cheesy Fast and Furious-inspired interior accent lighting. WTF?

It’s an option. I think they have like 300 colors you can rotate through.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:22 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

It’s 12 on the CLA45 and 64 on the C63S. I was mistaken.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:29 AM

Not sure if you can selectively turn zones off. I don't mind the ambient lighting, but can do without the A/C vents being lit.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:38 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-..._s_amg_4matic/

Outstanding performance, the ultimate driving dynamics, expressive design - the new Mercedes-AMG compact A45 4MATIC+/ A45 S 4MATIC+ sports cars and CLA45 4MATIC+/ CLA45 S 4MATIC+ reassert their leading positions in their segments. They seamlessly continue the success story of their predecessors, while setting numerous new standards. Available in two output and torque variants, the completely newly developed 2.0-litre engine is the world's most powerful turbocharged four-cylinder engine in manufactured for series production. Even the basic model with 285 kW (387 hp) is more powerful than its predecessor. The S-variant with 310 kW (421 hp) jostles with considerably higher vehicle classes. Perfect sequences in all driving situations, and fast gearshifts measured in milliseconds, are guaranteed by the new AMG SPEEDSHIFT DCT-8G dual-clutch transmission with eight gears. The active, fully-variable AMG Performance 4MATIC+ all-wheel drive distributes the power to the rear axle wheel-selectively by AMG TORQUE CONTROL - for top traction and the spectacular Drift mode. This is made possible by a new rear axle differential featuring two multidisc clutches - one for each rear wheel.

With its new compact sports models Mercedes-AMG is demonstrating its high competence in development once again: "We have completely redesigned our "45" models - from the engine and transmission through the chassis, the elaborately constructed drivetrain to the body structure and of course the design itself - all with one goal: to raise vehicle dynamics and the sporty driving experience to a level previously unimaginable in the compact class. With the presentation of this, our most powerful and most dynamic compact sports car, we are also reinforcing the significance of this segment for our growth strategy", says Tobias Moers, Chairman of the Management Board of Mercedes-AMG GmbH.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:39 AM

Old 07-05-2019, 08:39 AM

Old 08-18-2020, 06:55 AM

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/an...ls-moose-test/

The new Mercedes-AMG A45 S is the most powerful hot hatch on sale and, despite being built on a front-biased all-wheel drive platform, it does feature a Drift mode that allows the back end to slide.

As a result, one might think that it is a proper track tool, with responsive steering and barely any understeer. However, for all its clever technology, it did not manage to pass the moose test.

The challenge that replicates what happens when drivers swerve to avoid an obstacle in the middle of the road and then try to get back in their lane as quickly as possible proved too much for the A45 S, which could not complete it at 49 mph (77 km/h).

Engaging the Sport mode did not help, as it didn’t change the outcome. The driver had to lower the entry speed to 47 mph (75 km/h) in order for the hot hatch to not hit the cones, a result comparable to the much bigger Audi A7. What’s interesting is that the BMW M235i Gran Coupe, which features a similar layout to the A45 S, also failed the test.

With a whopping 415 HP (421 PS / 310 kW) and 369 lb-ft (500 Nm) of torque produced by its 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, AMG’s ultimate hot hatch can hit a maximum speed of 168 mph (270 km/h) and does the 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 3.9 seconds. It’s not available in the U.S., but in Germany, it starts at €61,103 ($72,227).
Old 08-18-2020, 06:55 AM

Looked like a marginal 'fail'
Old 11-02-2020, 08:59 AM

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/11/is...should-go-for/

This is the Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan in 250e spec, which means that it is features an electrified powertrain.

While the turbocharged 1.3-liter engine is powered by gasoline and delivers 158 HP (160 PS / 118 kW) and 184 lb-ft (250 Nm) of torque, it is joined by an electric motor adding another 101 HP (102 PS / 75 kW) and 221 lb-ft (300 Nm) and a 15.6 kWh battery mounted beneath the rear seats,

Total combined output stands at 215 HP (218 PS / 160 kW) and 332 lb-ft (450 Nm), and the 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) is a sub-7-second affair. Top speed stands at 149 mph (240 km/h), although if you decide to use the dedicated electric mode, you’re looking at a maximum of 87 mph (140 km/h) and about 40 miles (~65 km) of zero-emission driving.

Inside, the A250e Sedan is pretty much the same as the ICE-powered version. The leg- and headroom at the back is still decent, there’s a good amount of storage spaces all around and buyers get the familiar two-layer dashboard with the MBUX dual-screens. However, you may want to spend extra and get the larger 10.25-inch displays, as the huge bezels make the 7-inch ones look cheap.

The electrified A-Class is quite refined in the all-electric mode. What’s interesting to find out is how does it feel on the go once the internal combustion engine kicks in and whether it can handle the extra weight over the regular variants. Rory Reid answers these questions, and many others, in his video review shared below.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:42 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
The Mercedes-AMG A 35 sedan is no longer part of the automaker's lineup here. Mercedes USA confirmed to CarBuzz that "The A 35 will not be offered in the US market for MY22." The model has already been scrubbed from Mercedes' U.S. web site. The move eliminates what was the least expensive offering in the AMG range here, the hot sedan starting at $46,900 after destination. The AMG GLA 35 crossover takes over as the most accessible AMG, costing $48,600 after destination. The GLA 35 is powered by the same 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder as in the A 35, putting out the same 302 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque.

The automaker didn't give a reason for making the move, but we can imagine slow sales being part of the rationale. The A-Class only comes in sedan form in the U.S., a bodystyle low on an American car shopper's list of favorites. According to Car Sales Base, the entire A-Class lineup, which includes the non-AMG A 220 in front- and all-wheel drive, sold 11,732 units in 2020, about 6,000 units down on 2019. The GLA crossover lineup, sitting on the same MFA2 platform as the A-Class sedan, sold 16,509 units in 2020. However, whereas the GLA range had been beating its 2020 sales numbers this year until the semiconductor crunch took a huge bite out of Q3 figures, the A-Class fell behind last year's sales early and the gap to 2020 has grown wider as the year has progressed.

With the A35's starting price about $12,000 more than the regular A-Class, the AMG would be a tiny fraction of those shrinking figures. In our review, we praised it for driving drama and interior luxury its competitors can't match. But the price ballooned quickly with after adding the kinds of options you'd want in a hi-po luxury sedan. It made sense as an enthusiast’s hot compact in near standard form. The value argument drifted away as the price rose above $50,000 and much more impressive performance sedans came into play like a nicely equipped Alfa Romeo Giulia, or even a base BMW M340i.

In other markets, the AMG A 35 is expected to bow with a cosmetic refresh sometime next year that includes a swap to the Panamericana grille the AMG line is known for, and the latest version of the automaker's MBUX infotainment. Mercedes was already on a mission to shed underperforming initiatives and shrink the company before the supply chain crisis. Whatever the reasons, its no surprise the brand has culled a weak member of the U.S.-market herd. The A 220 will remain on sale here.
Mercedes-AMG A 35 quits the U.S. market (autoblog.com)
Old 02-10-2022, 12:38 PM

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-a-class-dead/

The entry-level Benz is no more. The A-class sedan will depart the U.S. market after the 2022 model year, as first reported by Automotive News and confirmed to C/D by a Mercedes spokesperson. Starting at $35,000, the A220 four-door served as the price leader in the lineup, but the GLA-class crossover will soon take over this spot with its $37,450 entry cost

Mercedes had already killed off the A-class sedan's more powerful AMG variant, the A35, and sales have slipped in recent years. It achieved 17,641 sales in 2019, its first year on the market, but dropped to just 8108 units sold in 2021. The GLA, meanwhile, sold 14,322 units last year. Upon its introduction, the A-class took over the entry-level spot from the CLA-class, a slightly swoopier small sedan best remembered for its 2013 Super Bowl ad proclaiming a starting price under $30,000.

The current CLA will stick around for the time being, and Mercedes says the decision to drop the A-class is "consistent with our ongoing effort to streamline our product offering strategy." The CLA competes in the same segment as the A-class did and we would guess that it earns better profit margins for the company considering its higher pricing. Rival automaker BMW also has two entries in this segment, the two-door 2-series coupe and four-door 2-series Gran Coupe that ride on different platforms, while Audi only has one, the A3 sedan.

2022 A-class inventory will likely remain at dealers throughout the year, as Mercedes has not announced when production ends for the U.S.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I expect BMW's 2GC to be gone very soon too. That thing is an eye sore every time i see one on the road... good thing they are rare

They are too small in this CUV driven market to be at that kind of price level.. luxury brand or not.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:02 PM
A-TSX Oldie

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I expect BMW's 2GC to be gone very soon too. That thing is an eye sore every time i see one on the road... good thing they are rare

They are too small in this CUV driven market to be at that kind of price level.. luxury brand or not.
Lol. I forgot the 2GC even existed. I think I've seen only one so far, and I really thought it was the Kia Forte. Very un-BMW like.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:04 PM

I think the A looks a lot better than the CLA, and is more practical without the sloping roofline.
I specifically requested to not get a CLA when I had a loaner from the dealer. Putting a tall front-facing Recaro child seat in the back was a pain.

I've seen a couple A35 around here, and wouldn't mind one for a DD.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BurnabyTSX
Lol. I forgot the 2GC even existed. I think I've seen only one so far, and I really thought it was the Kia Forte. Very un-BMW like.
That is because it is not a BMW. It is a Mini....
Old 02-10-2022, 01:06 PM

^ Which isn't a Mini, it's a BMW.
The 2GC, I've seen a couple, definitely doesn't have the sleek look most BMW sedans have.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:20 PM
A-TSX Oldie

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
^ but most Minis look good. The 2GC... not so much.

In any case, I thought the A-class hatchback looks really good. Much better proportions than the A sedan or the CLA.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:24 PM

Agreed, shame we only got the lifted GLA here.
Had a GLA250 for a loaner (2019 or so) & it wasn't bad apart from the wonky DCT behavior at parking lot speeds.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:40 PM
Team Owner

Yup... I suspect A35 hatch would be a good medium in terms of price and performance. A45 is nice but i can't justify that much $$ on 4 banger A class.... even if it has 1000hp.. i just can't
Old 02-13-2024, 08:02 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-...mited_edition/

For the A 45 S 4MATIC+, Mercedes-AMG is launching an attractive special model: the "Limited Edition". It can be ordered now. The price for the extensive additional equipment is €14,280.00. The market launch will take place in April 2024. The offer is available until the end of 2024.

The exclusive paintwork in "AMG green hell magno" is particularly striking. This colour was previously not available for the compact class. There is also the foiling with the AMG logo and a large "A 45 S" lettering on the doors and the AMG crest on the bonnet. The "Limited Edition" rolls on matt black 19-inch AMG forged wheels in a seven-twin-spoke design, which are reserved for the Edition. Yellow as a contrasting colour accentuates the rim spokes. To match the colour of the wheels, the brake calipers of the AMG high-performance brake system are coloured glossy black and have white AMG logos. Refined details include the exclusive fuel cap with the AMG logo and the light projector: it shines the AMG coat of arms onto the road when you get in and out of the vehicle.

Three equipment packages further enhance the "Limited Edition":
  • The AMG Night Package: Striking design elements in black and high-gloss black underline the expressive vehicle character. Included are the front splitter, the exterior mirror housings, and the beltlines. Thermally insulating, dark-tinted window surfaces from the B-pillar complete the package.
  • The AMG Night Package II: Numerous details make the vehicle an eye-catcher. These include the darkened struts on the radiator trim as well as the black chrome typography on the front fenders and tailgate, the Mercedes star and exclusive to the edition the door handles and the Mercedes stars in the wheel hub caps.
  • The AMG Aerodynamics Package: The AMG Aerodynamics Package, developed in the wind tunnel, includes special add-on parts and a fixed AMG rear wing. Together they increase contact pressure and improve driving characteristics at high speeds.
The interior of the "Limited Edition" is also distinctively designed: the AMG performance seats are covered in black with a combination of ARTICO man-made leather and MICROCUT microfibre. Yellow decorative stitching in the seats, door panels and instrument panel create attractive contrasts. This also applies to the embroidered emblems with the "45 S" label in the front headrests.

The AMG performance steering wheel in leather/MICROCUT microfibre with yellow decorative stitching as well as the aluminium trim elements with AMG pattern and yellow AMG lettering add further accents to the interior. The AMG door sills also demonstrate the attention to detail. They wear an AMG pattern design in black and illuminate the AMG logo in yellow. AMG floor mats with "45 S" lettering and decorative stitching in yellow complete the interior upgrades.

With an output of 310 kW (421 hp), the A 45 S 4MATIC+ is powerfully motorised. The compact sports car sprints from a standstill to 100 km/h in 3.9 seconds. The top speed is limited to 270 km/h. In addition to the pure performance figures, the AMG 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo engine impresses with its spontaneous response.

The fully variable AMG Performance 4MATIC+ all-wheel drive with AMG TORQUE CONTROL makes a significant contribution to the dynamic driving experience: The rear axle drive contains two electronically controlled multi-plate clutches. They are each connected to a drive shaft on the rear axle. This means not only can the driving force be distributed variably between the front and rear axles, but also selectively between the left and right rear wheels.

Old 02-13-2024, 06:57 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,829 Likes on 3,850 Posts
They should introduce a package called "available in the USA".
Old 02-14-2024, 06:21 AM

I do like the A hatch, but maybe with less garish graphics.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (02-15-2024)