Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,648 Likes on 13,889 Posts

Really like it.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I thikn the interior looks better with the metal theme.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:12 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i think if they added a little bit of aluminum/wood trim to the center stack it would look a lot better
Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Acura Vet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
i think if they added a little bit of aluminum/wood trim to the center stack it would look a lot better
I would have to agree with you on that.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:34 PM
03' NBP TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not really feeling it..
Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car and Driver said: "From a powertrain standpoint, here’s how it shakes down for the U.S. market: All 2008 C-class models will be powered by V-6 engines, with Sport Sedan offered with a choice of either a 3.0-liter V-6 (C300 Sport Sedan) that produces 228 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 221 lb-ft of torque at 2500—5000 rpm, or a 3.5-liter V-6 (C350 Sport Sedan) which makes 268 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 258 lb-ft from 2400—5000 rpm. The more comfort-oriented Luxury Sedan will be offered only with the more powerful motor (C350 Luxury Sedan). Mercedes expects that Sport Sedan models will make up two-thirds of its overall C-class sales in the States, with the C300 variant comprising a majority of the mix."

What's described is slightly different from Edmunds, and also different from Autoweek.

Anyway, I think the new C class looks A LOT better than the current C (one of my neighbors has one). Both models, in particular the sport model looks excellent. Interior is so so, and the center dash looks terrible. I expect that you'll see a lot more of it on the road. Audi will surely take a hit; maybe Lexus too.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
i thought they were bringing back the supercharged I-4 C230?

and the only issue i have at least with the current gen C230k is the delay w/ their drive by wire throttle its pretty bad supposedly there is a mod that make it feel more linear.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mizouse
and the only issue i have at least with the current gen C230k is the delay w/ their drive by wire throttle its pretty bad supposedly there is a mod that make it feel more linear.
Sprint Booster
Old 01-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Are they working backwards over there at Mercedes Interior Design (my 98 C230)???

Last edited by FutureBagdA4; 01-29-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
24 pages of C Class wallpaper here.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2008 Mercedes C-Class Coupe Spy Shots - - by Brenda Priddy (2007-02-14) - - Source: The Car COnnection

Mercedes-Benz is preparing a new edition of the C-Class Coupe that should show up at this fall'sFrankfurt auto show.

These are the first shots of the new hatchback, which is actually built on the running gear of the old C-Class. The basic concept of the car - short hatchback with a large tailgate - will remain unchanged, too.

Like with the outgoing model, buyers will have the option between the four-cylinder C180 (156 hp with supercharging), the C200 (184 hp, supercharged), a six-cylinder C230 (204 hp), or the C350 (272 hp).

New offerings might include a C280 V-6 delivering 231 horsepower. Diesel enthusiasts might prefer the C200 CDI (136 hp) or C220 CDI (170 hp).
Old 02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

2008 Mercedes C-Class Coupe Spy Shots - - by Brenda Priddy (2007-02-14) - - Source: The Car COnnection

Old 02-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Professional Newbie

I was hoping they'd fixed the back end on the coupes, guess not... looks just like the old C230
Old 02-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
I was hoping they'd fixed the back end on the coupes, guess not... looks just like the old C230

Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Acura Vet

I am absolutely un-impressed with that, but seeing the number of "Baby Benzes" in my are, I am sure that it will fulfill SOMEONE's dreams of Mercedes ownership.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by madmanmax3000

After seeing the new sedans I had high hopes for the coupe... but alas... it's still ass-nasty...
Old 02-15-2007, 03:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Ugly in coupe form.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Mercedes reveals 43 mpg Vision C 220 Bluetec

From Leftlanenews...pics from Worldcarfans...

Mercedes-Benz will unveil a new environmentally friendly concept car at the 2007 Geneva Motor Show in March, the company announced today. Boasting an output of 170 hp and a peak torque of 400 Nm, the diesel Vision C 220 Bluetec achieves 43 mpg.

The Vision C 220 Bluetec is prepared for future emission standards, even the considerably more stringent limits imposed by EURO 6, which will apply to all new vehicles from September 1, 2015.

For instance, particulate emissions must be reduced by a factor of five by the time the EURO 5 standard comes into force on January 1, 2011 whilst EURO 6 stipulates nitrogen oxide limits that are only around 30 percent of the current limits. All Mercedes-Benz diesel vehicles with a particulate filter fitted as standard already undercut the particulate limits that will apply from 2011 onwards.

"The sophisticated four-cylinder diesel engine with Bluetec emission control is a prime example of leading-edge, future-compatible technology," explains Dr Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of DaimlerChrysler AG and Head of the Mercedes Car Group. "Our diesel strategy is an effective answer to the question of how to save fuel and, therefore, CO2, to further reduce all exhaust emissions including NOx and yet still ensure effortlessly superior driving enjoyment. In this respect, we believe our state-of-the-art diesel concept is currently the best and most efficient solution available."

Old 02-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
This is amazing. 43mpg? Who needs a hybrid?

The diesel bullshit mentioned earlier in this thread is nothing more than ignorant bias.

The Europeans are just as militant as Kalifornistan about emissions and the Bluetec is okay there ...

If you were Exxon, would YOU want a 43mpg diesel?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:19 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
STUTTGART, Germany — The soon-to-be-launched and much-hyped Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec has reportedly failed to meet emissions criteria in the important states of California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont.
Is this to do with the urine (?? urea) tank that is the most critical part of the MB diesel clean emission system ? The MB system requires the addition of urea to the exhaust gas to neutralize harmful emissions, and if the tank is allowed to run dry, the entire harmful exhaust gas will be dumped out into the air.

So the tank need constant attention, and it will be the drivers' responsibility to keep the tank filled, unlike the upcoming Honda precious-metal catalyst system that requires no driver attention. The US regulatory agency doesn't like any emission system that requires drivers' interaction, because there is no definite way to prevent drivers from letting the tanks run dry.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
If you were Exxon, would YOU want a 43mpg diesel?
That's still much better than the Al Gore alternative.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by charliemike
The Europeans are just as militant as Kalifornistan about emissions and the Bluetec is okay there ...
That is not true. Europe always had less restrictive emissions regulations than the USA did and far less restrictive than California and other states. And the more in the past you go the more the discrepancy gets.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by gavriil
That is not true. Europe always had less restrictive emissions regulations than the USA did and far less restrictive than California and other states. And the more in the past you go the more the discrepancy gets.
I'm not talking historically because it was a bunch of separate countries. Now with EURO5 and EURO6 already on the books and being phased in, I think we need to re-address diesels here in the US.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Race Director

wow i'm not a fan of the front end.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Safety Car

Awesome tech. This is a major advancement for MB... not just that it's a fancy diesel, but that they have the forsight to consider emmisson restrictions that are years off.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

From Top Gear...

It's a big day for Mercedes at Geneva as it shows off the all-new C-Class to the world.

Officially unveiled back in January, this is the exec saloon's first appearance at a motor show.

Mercedes-Benz's fortunes depend heavily on the success of its 3-Series rival, which explains why the C-Class was put through a 14-million mile testing programme before its launch.

All that time spent ironing out the niggles and faults that afflicted the last generation of Mercs could explain why the design department didn't get much time to adjust the looks of the C-Class.

It's got a new set of headlamps, and the overall appearance is a little more taut and compact, but the most significant development in the appearance of the C-Class is its schizophrenic grill.

The Sport model gets a great big CLK-style star on the grill, while the SE and Elegance models (seen in these photos) stick with the conventional bonnet-top badge.

There's no surprises in the engine department, with four petrol and three diesel engines available when then C-Class reaches the UK in June.

A 3.5-litre V6 will top the range, though a 5.4-litre 400bhp AMG should be on the way in the autumn.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

5.4L 400HP AGM? What happened to the 6.2L and the C63 designation?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Drifting

First Drive: 2008 Mercedes-Benz C-Class
http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/08c-class.htm

Valencia, Spain - Think of "Mercedes-Benz", and you may picture the big S-Class sedan, or perhaps the exciting SL roadster - but it's the company's smallest sedan, the C-Class, which is their best-seller. More than 1.4 million of the current generation C-Class sedans (2000-2007) have been sold worldwide - and if you include C-Class coupe and wagon models, that number rises to two million.

Some consider the C-Class' smaller predecessor, the 190, introduced in 1982, to be the company's pioneering small luxury sedan - but it was the roomier C-Class models introduced in 1993 and 2000 that really proved popular with Mercedes buyers looking for a compact sedan.

Still, it's been seven years since the C-Class' last major redesign, and with newer competitors from BMW, Audi, Lexus and Infiniti luring 'entry-level' luxury buyers with more performance, safety and contemporary luxury features, the redesign of the C-Class is arguably overdue.

Compared to other entry-luxury vehicles, the C-Class has always been more conservative. Notwithstanding the sporty AMG model (which was discontinued for 2007), the C-Class has maintained its reputation as a comfortable and rather traditional luxury car. For '08, Mercedes wants to ditch that stodgy image with sportier and more athletic styling and improved vehicle dynamics - without sacrificing comfort. Said C-Class Senior Manager for Product Management, Marc Boderke, at the C-Class introductory driving event in Spain earlier this month: "We wanted to create a car that had comfort, but at the same time, was fun to drive."

To do this, Mercedes engineers made major changes to the suspension and body. To improve handling and stability, the front track was widened by 44 mm and the rear track widened by 76 mm, while the wheelbase was stretched by 45 mm. In addition, the body's torsional and bending rigidity was increased significantly, the braking system was improved, the standard rack and pinion power steering ratio was made more direct, and the rear multi-link suspension and subframe were upgraded. Mercedes engineers also added new standard 'Agility Control' which automatically firms up the shock absorbers when driving more dynamically and softens them at other times for a better ride.

Through the use of high strength lightweight steel, aluminum and plastic components, the new C-Class sedan is also about the same weight as its predecessor, even though it is larger.

For those drivers who want additional performance, the new C-Class will offer a new optional 'Advanced Agility Package' that will be available for the '09 model year. With the push of a button, drivers have a choice of two dynamic modes: Sport and Comfort. Sport mode firms up the shock absorbers for each wheel with variable electronic control, lowers the car by 15 mm, provides a quicker, more responsive feel for the new speed-sensitive steering, improves acceleration characteristics, and provides more aggressive shift points for the seven-speed automatic transmission.

There's also a separate AMG sports package which includes a lowered sports suspension, AMG wheels, improved brakes, and front sports seats. Shift paddles behind the steering wheel are also part of this package.

Improvements have also been made to the standard electronic stability program (ESP). ESP now has a new control logic which improves stability in certain situations - for example, by using braking impulses at up to three wheels accompanied by a moderate drop in speed, the C-Class offers improved control when entering a corner too quickly.

Another new feature of the ESP is 'trailer stabilization'- it detects any tendency of a trailer to swing from side to side, and automatically brings it safely back on course by means of braking impulses at specific wheels.

The third-generation C-Class sedan was unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show in March of this year. The model shown here is equipped with the new Bluetec diesel engine.

In Europe, the new C-Class sedan will be available with a choice of three turbocharged diesel engines, two supercharged four-cylinder engines and three V6 engines, but for now, the Canadian market will offer only the top two V6 engines - the same engines offered here in 2007: a 228-hp 3.0-litre 24-valve DOHC V6 in the C300 (formerly known as the C280) and a 268-hp 3.5-litre 24-valve DOHC V6 in the C350. A new C220 Bluetec diesel, introduced at the Geneva auto show, may also be coming to Canada, but that's still up in the air.

The 2008 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Elegance model (left) features a more refined chrome grille with an upright Mercedes 'star' hood ornament. The C-Class Avantgarde (right) has a more aggressive blade-type grille with a large three-pointed star in the middle of the grille and a smaller flush one on the hood.

Rear-wheel drive will be standard and 4Matic all-wheel drive will be available at a later date. All Canadian models will get Mercedes' seven-speed automatic with manual shift modes - unfortunately, the six-speed manual transmission won't be available. A wagon bodystyle will also be coming.

Two trims will be offered: the Elegance model which can be distinguished by its standard 16-inch tires and a chrome fluted grille with upright Mercedes three-pointed star on the hood; and the sportier Avantgarde model with 17-inch tires and a more aggressive blade-type grille with a large Mercedes star in the centre.

Interior impressions

As I mentioned, Mercedes' goal for the new C-Class sedan was to improve performance without sacrificing comfort, and with the new car's larger body, the interior is definitely roomier. With a wider body and a longer wheelbase there is noticeably more shoulder room and more rear legroom. As well, the front door opening is larger and the driver's seating position is seven millimeters higher which makes for easier entry and exit. Mercedes claims the front seat track adjustment is the longest in its class, good for long-legged drivers. There's also more space in the footwells.

However, entry to the rear seat is not quite as easy. I found the narrow opening at the bottom of the rear doors and the protruding armrests on the doors made it difficult to get in and out without banging my knee or foot on the armrest. Once in, legroom and headroom is adequate for a typical adult, but three across would be a squeeze.

Trunk capacity has increased by a significant 20 litres to 475 litres (16.8 cu. ft.), and my driving partner and I managed to fit two large suitcases and two carry-on bags into the trunk. 60/40 split folding rear seatbacks are also standard.

The instrument panel features a new 'pop-up' information/navigation screen at the top of the centre stack, where it is more easily viewed by the driver. Control functions displayed on the screen for the heater, radio/CD/DVD, telephone and navigation system can be operated by the driver or passenger via a round aluminum dial beside the driver on the lower centre console. Buttons marked "Return" and "C" in front of the controller make it possible to quit the submenus immediately or delete entries. Most of the functions are also duplicated with buttons on the dashboard, so the driver does have a choice. I found the dial fairly easy to use in my relatively short time with the car, but like any menu system, it requires a number of steps to complete a task.

Also new for '08 is a three-gauge instrument cluster and a new digital information display in the centre of the speedometer with a clock, outside temperature display, odometer, trip computer information, and transmission gear indicator.

The design of the new dash is attractive, and controls are well-placed for reach, but I wasn't that impressed with the quality of the plastic on the dash - it just didn't look as high quality as the rest of the cabin. C-Class Elegance models offer woodgrain interior trim while Avantgarde models have sportier aluminum trim.

The new front seats have prominent side bolsters with stiffer padding for better lateral support, while the seat inserts are softer for more comfort. I found the driver's seat to be very comfortable and supportive during my day with the car. An optional multicontour seat with automatically inflating air chambers will also be available.

The output of the air conditioner and heater has been increased by 10 to 15 percent, and in the sunny environment of southern Spain, we found the interior cooled down quickly. Automatic dual zone climate control is standard, and an optional three-zone climate control system is also available. Three new 'infotainment' systems are available on the new C-Class, each with speed-dependent volume control, a keypad for entering telephone numbers and radio frequencies, and a Bluetooth interface and hands-free system. My test car was equipped with the optional Comand APS system which includes a music server with a four-gigabyte memory, a DVD-player for video and audio, and the upgraded "Linguatronic" voice-activation system which now understands whole words - the driver no longer needs to spell out the names of countries, towns or roads.

The navigation system proved useful to us when we took a wrong turn and ventured into the crowded streets of downtown Valencia. To get us back on track, a kindly woman's voice provided advance notice of turns, and a display with large arrows and distance notifications provided visual directions. Still, when city blocks were short, it was difficult to know which street was the right one to turn on, and we often had to refer to the street names on the large colour map display.

Safety features

Stripped of its body panels, this C-Class body structure shows the deformation points and crash resistant structures designed to absorb frontal and side impacts. This photo also shows the inflated curtain airbags and driver\'s knee airbag.. Click image to enlarge
Always a leader in safety, Mercedes-Benz has gone all out to make the new C-Class the safest sedan in its class. The company says the new C-Class successfully passed more than 100 in-house crash tests some of which go well beyond legal requirements. 70 percent of the new bodyshell consists of high-strength and ultra high-strength steel, and the front-end structure has four independently acting impact levels, which enable forces to be distributed over a wide area and bypass the passenger cell.

In the cabin, seven airbags are standard equipment: two multi-stage airbags for the driver and front passenger, a knee airbag for the driver, two side airbags for the front occupants, and two large curtain airbags for both rows of passengers.

As well, the driver, front passenger and the passengers on the outer rear seats have belt tensioners and belt force limiters. The standard head restraints automatically move forward within milliseconds during a rear-end collision to support the heads of the driver and front passenger to reduce the risk of a whiplash injury.

The new C-Class also features flashing brake lights that warn drivers following behind if the C-Class driver is braking hard.

Pre-Safe, Mercedes' preventive occupant protection system, is a new option. Linked to the C-Class' standard active safety systems ESP and Brake Assist, Pre-Safe can recognize a potential collision in advance, and prepare the car for a crash - such as tightening the seatbelts and closing the sunroof.

Another new feature available on the '08 C Class is the 'Intelligent Light System' which includes bi-xenon headlamps with five different lighting functions: country mode, motorway mode, enhanced foglamps, the Active Light System and cornering lights.

Driving impressions

Testing conditions in Spain were sunny, dry and 20 degrees Celsius, not exactly typical of Canadian weather in March. Nevertheless, I was able to get a good feeling for the car's basic steering, braking, cornering and acceleration characteristics. According to Mercedes published figures, the C 300 zips from 0 - 100 km/h in 7.3 seconds, and the C 350 takes just 6.4 seconds. My C 350 Avantgarde test car was deceptively quick because initial throttle tip-in is not jerky and the engine and seven-speed transmission are very smooth - plus the car is very quiet. Passing responsiveness is also very good because the 3.5-litre V6 has excellent mid-range torque. I cruised effortlessly at 130 km/h (while holding up Spaniards whipping by us at 150 km/h in a 100 km/h zone) and though a strong wind was blowing in from Morocco, the car felt perfectly stable and comfortable at high speeds.

Fuel consumption is about the same as the previous C-Class model. According to Mercedes, the C 300 will average 9.4 L/100 km while the C 350 is only slightly worse with 9.7 L/100 km.

The standard rack and pinion power steering is more responsive than before but not exactly BMW-like. The optional speed-sensitive steering available with the Advanced Agility Package offers a better high-speed steering feel.

Standard ventilated disc brakes include some new features: while stopped on a grade, the brakes will apply automatically until you press the accelerator; on wet roads, the brakes will dry themselves; and in critical braking situations, the brakes will prime themselves for panic braking.

Perhaps the most noticeable difference between the 2007 C-Class and the new one is the way it handles and rides. Even without the optional Advance Agility suspension, the C-Class is a much more stable, controllable car with great balance, minimal lean, and neutral handling qualities. The C 350's standard 225/45 R 17-inch radials and the standard adaptive dampers provide excellent grip and minimal body roll when going fast, yet a comfortable ride at slower speeds.

When equipped with the optional Advanced Agility package, in 'Sport' mode, the handling is even better, but the ride is firmer. In Sport mode, the steering becomes sharper, throttle responsiveness is quicker, and the transmission shifts later for improved acceleration and downshifts when braking into a corner. 'Comfort' mode reverts back to the standard suspension, steering, throttle and transmission settings. So you can have the best of both worlds with the push of a button.

Whether or not the new C-Class will challenge accepted performance leaders like the BMW 3-Series remains to be seen, but there's no doubt the new C-Class is more fun to drive - not to mention roomier, safer and more comfortable.

The 2008 Mercedes-Benz C-Class is expected to go on sale in August. Pricing has not been announced, but is likely to be close to the current model.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
The only MB worth buying is the CLS and SL...and maybe the new S-Class (221). All the others are cheaply built.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
well, it def looks like a step back in aerodynamics...
Old 03-24-2007, 12:25 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
looks like a Chrysler
Old 03-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gavriil
Wo! Just noticed that the C280's engine is actually a 3.0L engine.

3.0L 24-valve V-6 engine
Net Power228 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Net Torque221 lb-ft @ 2,700 - 5,000 rpm

I dont know what the marketing department is thinking. They call the one with the 2.5L engine a 230, but the one with a 3.0L engine, a 280.
Exactly, wtf are they thinking..."back in the day" when the 190E also had 2.3 badges to go along with it...might have to start that up again aka C280 3.0... doesn't make sense then or now...
Old 03-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Post New BRABUS C-Class Sport Program W20

From Worldcarfans...

Brand new tuning program

Concurrent with the market introduction of the new Mercedes-Benz C-Class BRABUS presents an exclusive sport program for the new sedan.

Highlights of the product lineup are the BRABUS 4.0 displacement engine with 332 hp / 244 kW for the V6 gasoline models, an elegant aerodynamic-enhancement program, light-alloy wheels with 20-inch diameter and corresponding suspensions, plus numerous individual interior options. BRABUS is world-renowned for its powerful yet clean-burning displacement engines, lubricated exclusively with ARAL motor oil. All tuning components and conversions are backed by the one-of-a-kind BRABUS Tuning Warranty® of three years up to 100,000 kilometers (see BRABUS warranty conditions as of June 2003).

For the new C 280 and C 350 models BRABUS offers its BRABUS 4.0 engine. By installing a special crankshaft and larger pistons displacement is increased to 4.0 liters. Additionally the four-valve cylinder heads are optimized for gas flow, and fitted with special camshafts. The conversion further includes a stainless-steel high-performance exhaust system with metal catalysts, and newly programmed engine electronics.

The impressive results of the conversion are a maximum power output of 332 hp / 244 kW and a peak torque of 420 Nm at 4,200 rpm. Thus equipped, the four-door delivers excellent performance: Just 5.9 seconds pass from 0 - 100 km/h, top speed is 275 km/h in combination with the BRABUS Vmax-Unit.

For the CDI models of the new C-Class BRABUS offers its PowerXtra performance kits. The list starts with the D2 (III) kit that increases power output of the C 200 CDI by 39 hp / 28.7 hp, and bumps peak torque to 385 Nm. The C 220 CDI with BRABUS D3 (III) kit delivers 195 hp / 143 kW of power and 450 Nm of peak torque. For the top-of-the-line turbodiesel model C 320 CDI there is the D6 (III) power kit. It delivers 48 hp / 35.3 kW of additional power and a peak torque of 590 Nm, turning the new C-Class into one of the world's sportiest diesel-powered cars with a 0 – 100 km/h time of just 6.9 seconds and a top speed of 250 km/h. BRABUS stainless-steel quad sport exhaust systems are available for all engine variants.

More dynamics for the new C-Class also come from custom-tailored BRABUS tire/wheel combinations with diameters of 17, 18, 19 and 20 inches and corresponding BRABUS sport suspensions, lowering kits and sport sway bars. The largest wheels for the new C-Class are BRABUS Monoblock VI, E and S light-alloy wheels in size 9Jx20 front and back, fitted with tires is sizes 235/30 ZR 20 in front and 265/25 ZR 20 on the rear axle. BRABUS high-performance brake systems are available for the W 204 model series in two versions and offer maximum stopping power and endurance.

The BRABUS design team also went into the wind tunnel to develop aerodynamic-enhancement components that not only look great but also offer maximum aerodynamic efficiency. All parts are manufactured from high-quality PUR-Rim in OEM quality.

The sporty styled BRABUS front spoiler lends the C-Class a more characteristic appearance with its generously dimensioned air inlets for improved supply of cooling air for radiators and front brakes. It also minimizes lift on the front axle, thus improving directional stability at high speeds. Four integrated auxiliary headlights further optimize active safety. BRABUS offers a three-piece rear spoiler that serves as its aerodynamic counterpart in the rear.

Strikingly styled BRABUS rocker panels create perfect aerodynamic transitions between front and rear wheel arches. The panels are optionally available with integrated LED entrance lights. For the outside mirrors BRABUS offers custom-tailored carbon-fiber covers.

The new BRABUS rear apron with one cutout left and right for the sport exhaust rounds out the exclusive appearance.

BRABUS also enjoys a great reputation worldwide for exclusive interior design: For the new C-Class the company-own upholstery shop handcrafts exclusive interiors from especially soft and breathable BRABUS Mastik leather and Alcantara with utmost precision. The BRABUS program also includes a wide array of individual accessories for the interior. The lineup ranges from an ergonomically shaped sport steering wheel to aluminum foot pedals and 330-km/h speedometer to stainless-steel door sills with illuminated BRABUS logo to precious-wood and carbon-fiber trim sets.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:49 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

looks better, but in the luxury sports-sedan market, i'd still rank the c-class behind the 3 series, g35, a4, and is.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Drifting

Full Test: 2008 Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..2.*

Everything's New but the Engines

By Chris Walton, Chief Road Test Editor
Date posted: 06-27-2007

We first saw the third-generation 2008 C-Class in Stuttgart, and instead of a First Look, it was more like a First Whiff. We caught the scent of the three European flavours on the C-Class menu, but we never had a chance to sample anything from the U.S.-specification platter.

This week, we managed to pry a 2008 Mercedes-Benz C350 away from its press introduction in Portland, Oregon, and drove it all the way back to our offices in Santa Monica, California. What we learned on this 1,000-mile drive and after instrumented track testing shows us that Mercedes-Benz is serious about the C-Class' competition.

Not only has Mercedes-Benz gained an inch or two on a certain yardstick sedan from Munich in terms of subjective vehicle dynamics, but also the Stuttgart-based company has jumped into the infotainment technology race to compete more effectively with high-tech Japanese sport sedans.

The First Boat Arrives in August
The 2008 Mercedes-Benz C-Class will arrive in the U.S. this August, and it will initially include two models: the C300 with its 228-horsepower V6 and the C350 Sport powered by a 268-hp V6. Though these engines are familiar from the current C-Class lineup, Mercedes-Benz is quick to inform us that the C300's 3.0-liter V6 is flex-fuel-compliant straight from the factory.

The C300 will make up the vast majority of C-Class sales, and it'll be trimmed out as either Luxury or Sport. An all-wheel-drive 4Matic configuration of the C300 will arrive in September. The C350 is offered only as a rear-wheel-drive sedan in Sport trim, and it will have a seven-speed automatic transmission. (A six-speed manual transmission is available only for the C300 Sport.)

A brilliant infotainment system is standard equipment across all C-Class models, featuring a nudge-twist-press console controller and high-quality 7-inch LCD screen. Also part of this package of standard convenience features will be Bluetooth connectivity, a 12-button multifunction steering wheel, dual-zone automatic climate control, a power moonroof, eight-way power front seats and more.

While Mercedes knows that the C300 will outsell the C350 3-1, the model for those of us who prefer a more enthusiastically endowed car is the C350 Sport. All Sport models now feature a unique grille, AMG-styled body cladding, big tires, a different suspension tune, upgraded brakes and dual exhaust. The C350 Sport further features the 268-hp 3.5-liter V6 plus the full allotment of interior options as standard equipment, and it's set apart visually by a trunk-mounted spoiler.

Mercedes has announced that the C300 Sport will be priced at $31, 975 (including $775 destination fee), and the C300 luxury will be $33,675. The 2008 Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport will be $37,275.

It's Quite the Hard Body
Some 70 percent of the C-Class' new body-in-white is constructed of high-strength steel, and 20 percent of that is costly ultrahigh-strength steel. Meanwhile, the doors, front safety structure, front fenders and parcel shelf are made of aluminum. As a result, this new hard body is more structurally rigid than that of the outgoing C-Class, yet weighs 17 pounds less.

New chassis subframes locate new lightweight suspension components for quicker response and more precise control, and the engine is mounted lower for improved handling.

The new shock dampers feature multivalve internals that quickly firm up damping rates when a wheel moves beyond the first centimeter of suspension travel, a simple mechanical solution to deliver a compliant ride with firm control. We've found that road noise and vibration vary greatly with the texture of the road surface, so perhaps the new dampers don't work quite as well as Mercedes had hoped.

Making Your Hands Feel Good
Just as we'd hoped, this substantially revised chassis includes some important measures to improve the precision and feel of the C350's steering. The 2008 C-Class features a steering ratio that's 6 percent quicker than before, plus a rigidly mounted, aluminum rack-and-pinion unit.

It seems that Mercedes has finally addressed criticism that the C-Class' steering felt wooden and inert. Now there's actually some useful information coming through the steering wheel, while the steering effort is weightier, too. To celebrate, the newly recontoured rim of the Sport's three-spoke steering wheel no longer feels like a roll of quarters wrapped in an athletic bandage.

We can vouch for the C350 Sport's rock-solid high-speed stability, as we spent about 15 hours at serious velocity on Interstate 5 driving from Portland, Oregon, to Los Angeles. Meanwhile, the new lightweight components of the C-Class' familiar multilink independent rear suspension also add a new delicacy and poise to this car.

In terms of objective dynamics, the C350 Sport comes as close to replicating the benchmark experience of driving a BMW 3 Series as it ever has.

At the Track and on the Road
At the test track, the 2008 C350 posted a slightly disappointing figure of 0.83g on the skid pad, despite its combination of 225/40YR18 Continental ContiSport Contact3 tires at the front and 255/35YR18s at the rear. Nevertheless, it achieved a sporty 67.6-mph speed through the slalom.

At the drag strip, we're not surprised to learn that the new C350 Sport is no faster than the one it replaces. The 268-hp motivation from this 24-valve DOHC V6 is the same while the new car's 3,498-pound curb weight represents an increase of 48 pounds. The C350 arrives at 60 mph in 6.2 seconds, then makes the run through the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds at 96.5 mph.

Full-ABS braking tests for the C350 Sport didn't improve either, halting the C350 from 60 mph in a still admirable 118 feet, exactly matching our results from a 2006 C350 test.

Despite the sporty performances at the test track, the C350 is never harsh on the road, doesn't skip like a stone over broken pavement and gobbles up miles of interstate like a presidential candidate does campaign donations. We easily consumed 15.5 gallons of premium fuel in one sitting (about 5.5 hours) and earned 25.6 mpg in the process — not bad considering the 72-mph average speed.

The Big C
For 2008 the C-Class grows in almost every dimension inside and out. Paradoxically, the measurements of available front and rear headroom shrink now that the moonroof is standard equipment.

Meanwhile, legroom up front is unchanged and in the rear it stretches by just 0.4 inch (although it feels much larger). Shoulder and hiproom in all positions increases by at least a half inch.

Although overall interior passenger volume remains essentially the same, the cabin seems more open and airy, evidence of less tumblehome.

The Onset of Styling Droop
For all its newness and increased gravitas, we wish we could say the new C-Class looks better than the outgoing C-Class, but we can't.

The blunt nose of the car is reportedly in homage to the S-Class, but we all know its existence is to meet forthcoming pedestrian-impact regulations in Europe. Why else would Mercedes forfeit the previous car's aerodynamic shape, going from a 0.26 coefficient of drag to a new 0.30 Cd?

The 2008 C-Class tries to reward its passengers on the inside rather than the onlookers on the outside. It's as if Mercedes engineered its all-new body-in-white and forgot to design an attractive wrapper for it.

It's All About Power, Isn't It?
The C350's performance is merely adequate. We hate to be horsepower mongers, but feel the minimum ante into the entry-level luxury-performance sedan category ought to be 300 hp.

Look, we know the C300 is crucial to Mercedes-Benz; it's the cost-conscious car that brings people to the Benz brand and keeps the lights on in Stuttgart. At $31,000, the C300 is a fine automobile and as it turns out, it's the right version of this car.

The C350 is enjoyable to drive, but it just doesn't make as much sense as a sport sedan as it should. It's a little down on power, a little short on interior space and just too long on price.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

2008 C-Class Pricing

PRESS RELEASE

New Mercedes-Benz C-Class to Start at $31,975

New Models Showcase Aggressive Styling and Class-Leading Value

MONTVALE, N.J., June 28 /PRNewswire/ -- Mercedes-Benz announced today that the bold new 2008 Mercedes-Benz C-Class lineup will begin at $31,975 for the new C300 Sport Sedan (228 hp, 221 lb-ft. of torque). The all-new C300 Luxury Sedan (228 hp, 221 lb-ft. of torque) will be priced at $33,675, followed by the C350 Sport Sedan (268 hp, 258 lb-ft. of torque) at $37,275. All prices include a $775 destination fee.

Set to arrive in U.S. Mercedes-Benz dealerships on August 7, the next- generation 2008 C-Class sedan is larger than its highly successful predecessor, with a greater emphasis on driving dynamics, comfort and safety. The C300 Sport and Luxury models will be available with an all new 4MATIC all- wheel-drive system mated to a seven-speed automatic transmission starting in September. An impressive list of standard equipment includes a power sunroof, eight-way power front seats with lumbar support, two-zone automatic climate control, 17-inch wheels, Bluetooth connectivity, a central controller, and an LCD display screen.

Mercedes-Benz USA, headquartered in Montvale, New Jersey, is responsible for the sales, marketing and service of all Mercedes-Benz and Maybach products in the United States. In 2006, MBUSA achieved an all-time sales record of 248,080 new vehicles, setting the highest sales volume ever in its history and achieving 13 consecutive years of sales growth. More information on MBUSA and its products can be found on the Internet at http://www.mbusa.com/ and http://www.maybachusa.com/.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/28/m...ing-announced/
Old 07-03-2007, 10:15 AM
08 MDX with Sports

Looks hella better compare to last gen..
Old 07-03-2007, 11:02 AM
The hair says it all

Big improvement, good choice for anyone who wants a car with more lux than sport but still a lot of fun. I would choose this over the Lexus IS but thats just me.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Wow thats some great pricing...
Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

So the C350 is $37k ... I guess they felt that they didn't need to compete with the 335i or did BMW completely catch them with their pants down?

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: C-Class News