Mercedes-Benz: B-Class News

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes-Benz: B-Class News

Merc's B-line For 1-Series
By Dan Strong

To B or not to B? That's not the question any more for Mercedes. It's made a decision and the answer is an exciting one for car enthusiasts - a new small Merc is on the way, called the B-Class.

This pocket-sized edition of the vast R-Class is the shape of things to come from the German firm. It's likely to be unveiled as a concept early next year, before hitting the road late in 2005 as a Focus-sized rival to the BMW 1-Series and forthcoming Volvo V50 estate.

In the current issue of Auto Express magazine, we have an exclusive image of the newcomer, which will join the German firm's line-up between the all-new A-Class and current C-Class. But while the styling will take inspiration from the new R-Class luxury crossover SUV and GST concept, the exact layout of the interior remains a closely guarded secret. Still, our spies report Mercedes is developing a versatile cabin which allows chairs to be adjusted and removed individually, giving drivers a choice between one and five-seat layouts.

Codenamed CST, or Compact Sports Tourer, the five-seater uses the A-Class platform and will replace the Vaneo. Buyers will be able to choose from 1.5, 1.7, 2.0 and 2.0-litre turbo petrol units, plus 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0-litre CDI diesels. As well as manual and auto gearboxes, Mercedes is expected to offer both front and four-wheel drive for the first time. While prices have still to be discussed, the B-Class is likely to cost from £15,000.

Source: Autoexpress
Old 05-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Spy Shots: ’06 Mercedes B-Class - - Crossover plans get smaller at Benz. - - by Brenda Priddy - - Source: The Car Connection

Codenamed CST245, this crossover derivative of the upcoming A-Class will arrive in the States during the 2005 calendar year. Combining the styling of a small sport wagon and the upcoming R-Class (also referred to as the GST), the newest crossover from Mercedes will be offered with five engine options, as well as three roof styles.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Interesting that MB is working on a 2 liter turbo gas engine. Hmm...
Old 05-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. A little baby GST crossover/wagonette thing... not bad. If the interior's really flexible it can work. I hope it doesn't step on the C-Class Wagon's toes tttoooo much.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:56 PM
The hair says it all

looks good, but i agree with titan, it shold be more $$'y and quality then the c class
Old 02-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: www.autobild.de
Old 02-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This is considered an MPV in Europe which is the European equivelant of a minivan in America.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: www.autobild.de
Old 02-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

World premiere of the new B-Class at the Geneva Motor Show - a Mercedes-Benz in new dimensions

Stuttgart, Feb 14, 2005

The Sports Tourer concept developed by Mercedes-Benz is entering series production: the new Mercedes-Benz B-Class, a Compact Sports Tourer of outstanding design, dynamism and dimensions, celebrates its world premiere at the Geneva International Motor Show.
With this new vehicle concept, Mercedes-Benz is once again asserting its role as the trendsetter among car brands and preparing the way for a young market segment with a promising future. The Sports Tourer meets the wishes of today’s motorists for a car with generous space, exemplary comfort, excellent practicality, an exciting design and a high level of driving pleasure. The new B-Class takes the advantages of different vehicle concepts and combines them into an interesting and distinctive profile of its own: as a Compact Sports Tourer, the B-Class is a touring, family and recreational vehicle with incomparable added experience value in terms of design and dynamism.

One of the major advantages of the Compact Sports Tourer is the sandwich concept developed by Mercedes-Benz. Thanks to the space-saving arrangement of the engine and transmission partly in front of and partly beneath the passenger cell, the new B-Class offers the interior spaciousness of larger saloons and estate cars despite its compact external dimensions. The body has a length of 4270 millimetres, corresponding to the compact car class. Inside, however, the new Mercedes model offers more than other cars of comparable size in this segment in all comfort-related respects, e.g. shoulder-room, legroom and headroom.

Occupants in the rear benefit from the long wheelbase (2778 millimetres); this allows a distance between seats and generous kneeroom which almost matches that in the S-Class.

The B-Class also reaches new dimensions where variability and load capacity are concerned. Thanks to a height-adjustable load compartment floor, an asymmetrically divided, folding and removable rear seat unit plus an optionally removable front passenger seat, the Compact Sports Tourer is quickly and easily converted from a comfortable touring car to a practical van. Depending on the number and position of the seats, the load capacity can be increased from 544 to up to 2245 litres (with rear seats and front passenger seat removed). This corresponds to the load capacity of large estate cars. The maximum loading length is 2.95 metres.

State-of-the-art petrol engines with up to 142 kW/193 hp

High-torque CDI diesel engines and up-to-date petrol units meet the need of the Sports Tourer concept for effortless performance and a high level of driving pleasure. There is a choice of six four-cylinder engines with outputs ranging from 70 kW/95 hp to 142 kW/193 hp. The top-of-the-line B 200 TURBO is equipped with a new two-litre, four-cylinder engine which delivers a maximum torque of 280 Newton metres from as little as 1800 rpm thanks to turbocharging and intercooling, and maintains this value over a wide engine speed range up to 4850 rpm. This means that the most powerful of the Compact Sports Tourers accelerates from standstill to 100 km/h in just 7.6 seconds, takes the fifth-gear sprint from 80 to 120 km/h in 7.3 seconds and achieves a maximum speed of 225 km/h.

High-torque diesel engines with fuel consumption of just 5.6 litres per 100 kilometres

The diesel line-up is headed by the B 200 CDI with 103 kW/140 hp, which has a remarkably high torque of 300 Newton metres. The newly developed turbodiesel with common-rail direct injection accelerates the Compact Sports Tourer from nought to 100 km/h in 9.6 seconds, and from 80 to 120 km/h in 10.0 seconds (in fifth gear). The maximum speed of the B 200 CDI is 200 km/h. Despite this superb performance the fuel consumption remains below the six-litre mark at 5.6 litres per 100 kilometres (combined consumption).

The CDI models in the B-Class meet the stringent EU 4 exhaust emission limits even without a particulate filter, though Mercedes-Benz offers a maintenance-free diesel particulate filter system on request.

The new B 200 TURBO and the CDI models B 180 CDI and B 200 CDI are equipped with a six-speed manual transmission as standard. The newly developed, continuously variable AUTOTRONIC automatic transmission is optionally available for all engine variants of the B-Class.

Top-class technology for agile handling and outstanding safety

Innovations in the field of suspension technology have contributed greatly to a successful combination of agility, safety and comfort – with all these attributes enjoying equal importance.

The electromechanical power steering system generates its servo effect with an electric motor, varying it as a function of road speed. This means the servo action is greater at low speeds than at high speeds, thus making it easier to park or manoeuvre slowly. The parabolic rear axle is likewise a new development. It makes a major contribution to the stable, sporty and precise handling, as well as the excellent ride comfort of the new B-Class.

The improved Electronic Stability Program (ESP®) now has a new, additional function: the STEER CONTROL steering assistance system. This operates in tandem with the electromechanical power steering system, providing the appropriate servo assistance in critical handling situations to help the driver stabilise the vehicle. When braking on road surfaces offering less grip on one side than the other the new, additional ESP® function also helps with steering corrections and provides the driver with better road contact.

A further special feature included as standard for the Compact Sports Tourer is the selective damping system which adapts the shock absorber response to the current driving situation. A soft shock absorber configuration ensures a high level of ride comfort during normal driving, while maximum damping force is applied when taking bends at speed to give the B-Class maximum stability.

Typical Mercedes safety thanks to the sandwich concept

The patented sandwich principle, which achieves wonders where economy of space is concerned, is the centrepiece of the safety concept in the new B-Class. Intelligently arranging the engine and transmission in an inclined position partly in front of and partly beneath the passenger cell makes a greater effective front end length available for crash deformation. During a severe frontal impact the drive unit is not moved backwards towards the interior, but slides downwards along the likewise inclined pedal floor panel. Moreover, the sandwich concept has significant advantages in the event of a lateral collision because the occupants are seated approx. 200 millimetres higher – and therefore above the impact zone. This means that despite its compact exterior dimensions, the B-Class provides the level of occupant safety typically found in a Mercedes.

Two-stage front airbags, belt tensioners in the front and on the outer rear seats, adaptive belt force limiters, active head restraints, ISOFIX child seat attachments and head/thorax sidebags round off the standard occupant protection system.

High-quality materials and extensive standard appointments

The interior appointments likewise correspond to the high standard set by Mercedes Benz. The design and feel of the interior features complement each other, creating an atmosphere in which the occupants are immediately at ease to enjoy the high level of long-distance comfort. Standard specification includes air conditioning, a four-spoke steering wheel with multifunction buttons, an armrest between the front seats, power windows and tinted glass, plus high-quality trim of brushed aluminium on the centre console, tunnel and door panels.

Mercedes-Benz has grouped further design features which accentuate the sporty, elegant appearance or sporty attributes of the new B-Class into optionally available chrome and sports packages.

High technology from bi-xenon to THERMOTRONIC

High-tech systems from the Mercedes luxury class further enhance comfort and the driving experience in the new Compact Sports Tourer. Optionally available features include THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control, electrically adjustable front seats, leather upholstery and the COMAND APS or Audio 50 APS radio/navigation system. On request the standard projection-beam headlamps behind their clear lenses can be upgraded with bi-xenon technology, the Active Light System and a cornering light function.

A newly developed, panoramic louvred sunroof provides the occupants of the new B-Class with a unique open-air experience as an optional extra, and in its closed position it also contributes to the light, friendly atmosphere in the interior of the Compact Sports Tourer. The roof aperture is around two thirds larger than that of a conventional sliding roof. A fixed panoramic roof with a grey-tinted, 0.6 square metre glass panel is optionally available as an alternative to the sliding roof.

The new B-Class, the Compact Sports Tourer by Mercedes-Benz, will appear in the showrooms of Mercedes-Benz outlets and authorised dealerships in Europe in summer 2005.
Source: DCX Media
Old 02-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Looks like the Toyota Matrix has some competition now. :P
Old 02-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Looks like the Toyota Matrix has some competition now. :P
Old 02-18-2005, 04:49 PM
goldmemberererer

I could understand (but not stand) the C230K but this is just downright nasty.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:54 PM
goldmemberererer

...but it helps Acura. Go FWD!
Old 02-18-2005, 06:43 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Ugly
Old 02-18-2005, 07:03 PM
I NEED MONEY!

tht shits ugly might as well make it a Mini Van!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:20 PM

i love the style, i would drive a black one with 18" amg 5 spokes.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:11 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CLUofI
i love the style, i would drive a black one with 18" amg 5 spokes.

i would drive one with 19" brabus monoblocks
Old 02-19-2005, 04:39 PM
__

It looks like a rebadged Chrysler PT Cruiser!
Old 02-20-2005, 02:18 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zoot
It looks like a rebadged Chrysler PT Cruiser!
Naaa... That's shit's way nicer than the PT.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:41 AM
Racer

looks like the honda fr-v
Old 02-20-2005, 03:02 AM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by CLUofI
i love the style.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Banned

i dunno. this car looks pretty fucking sick right here... very nicely designed for what it is

i would buy this hands down if i was in the market for a wagon / minivan-type car
Old 02-20-2005, 03:32 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaydef03
i dunno. this car looks pretty fucking sick right here... very nicely designed for what it is

i would buy this hands down if i was in the market for a wagon / minivan-type car
ya, i like it. i also like the the vision r concept, thats real sharp.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Drifting

i dont like it that much personally, but im sure it will do well in the market it is meant for. i dont think MB is trying to sell this car to people like us...
Old 02-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by stangg172004
ya, i like it. i also like the the vision r concept, thats real sharp.
hey guys any info of the R concept. If you guys know the price please post it up. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2005, 01:38 AM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
this wont compete with toyota matrix...

its prob going to be 25 k...my guess

what you think?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:04 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jerky
this wont compete with toyota matrix...

its prob going to be 25 k...my guess

what you think?
then at that price, it shouldn't look like the toyota matrix on the side view................ they look like twins separated at birth. The grill is a giveaway... but the side profile is suspiciously Toyota-y
Old 02-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Available only in Canada in North American shores for the moment anyhow...

==========

Full article: http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/as/...5&src=minishow
At center stage at the press conference was the Vision B Sports Tourer. President and CEO Marcus Breitschwerdt commented "The Vision B is the precursor of the new B-Class which will make its world premiere in Geneva in two weeks. It is truly an unconventional and ground-breaking addition to our product line, and we are convinced it will be a great success in Canada. The B-Class will serve to broaden the scope of the Mercedes-Benz brand and will allow us to reach a much wider consumer base. I am happy to inform you that - like the Smart brand - the B-Class will come to Canada (first), and it will arrive in the fall of this year."

The luxurious R-Class 'Grand Sports Tourer' will also be arriving in Canada next fall.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Mercedes to Debut Concept BlueZero

Next gen. B-Class...

From Worldcarfans...

Mercedes will be introducing its range of BlueZero concept vehicles at the Detroit Motor Show next month.

The BlueZero concept is based on the B Class model and will come in three variants.

The first is called the BlueZero E-Cell, which is an all electric vehicle. It comes with lithium-ion batteries and an electric motor with 100 kW of power and 320 Nm of torque. The range is rather limited, offering about 100 km on a two hour charge. Still, its enough for an intra-city commute.

For covering more distance than that, there is an extended range electric vehicle (EREV), the BlueZero E-Cell Plus. The E-Cell Plus comes with the same batteries and electric motor as the E-Cell but an internal combustion engine is added as a generator to produce electricity to re-charge the batteries and extend the range of the vehicle to 600 km. The engine will be the in-line 3 cylinder turbo petrol (gasoline) engine currently available in the Smart family.

The third variant is the F-Cell, a hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle which produces electricity from...hydrogen. Mercedes claims this car will provide the equivalent of 136 hp and 320 Nm of torque, similar to its 2.0 liter diesel engine, while having zero emissions.

It may seem like Mercedes is just putting its technologies on display without committing to any one that would make sense as a real-world solution. Maybe it's hedging its bets and developing all three variants hoping one of them will actually succeed in the market place. But this concept is, at the very least, a hint at what the next generation B Class will be like. And you can bet that by 2010, when the next B Class is due, that there will be at least one alternative fuel variant actually available for sale in your local dealer's showroom.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 12-12-2008, 02:27 AM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
too fast too luxurious?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2015 Mercedes-Benz B-Class

Press release...

In terms of both design and technology, the second generation of the B-Class car has heralded a new compact class era at Mercedes-Benz. More than 350,000 of the sports tourer have been sold since the market launch in late 2011. Now the best-seller from Mercedes-Benz has undergone a major facelift including exterior and interior enhancements along with attractive, redefined design and equipment lines.

The breadth of choice is unique in this segment: five economical diesel models with consumption statistics ranging from 3.6 to 5.0 l/100 km, four efficient petrol engines at between 5.4 and 6.6 l/100 km, alternative drive systems (B 200 Natural Gas Drive and B-Class Electric Drive), as well as optional 4MATIC all-wheel drive. What is more, with a Cd value of less than 0.25 the sports tourer continues to be the role model for its class. Sales of the new B-Class commence on 12 September, with the world première taking place during the Paris Motor Show (4 to 19 October). The revamped models will be making their way to dealerships from 29 November 2014. Prices start from 27,102.25 euros for the B 180.

"As the first member of a completely new generation of compact class, for us the B-Class paved the way for great success in this vehicle segment. The pioneer is now in better shape than ever," says Ola Källenius, Member of the Divisional Board Mercedes-Benz Cars responsible for Marketing & Sales. "The B-Class is the perfect (family) car for anyone who attaches importance to practicality, comfort and safety, but at the same time doesn't want to miss out on sportiness or driving dynamics."

More light: LED High Performance headlamps now available

The easiest way to recognise a facelifted B-Class with a petrol or diesel engine is from the front: a new bumper, wide radiator trim with two louvres and now integral daytime running lamps in the headlamps give the vehicle a more organic and dynamic appearance. The rear bumper has also been modified and now features a contoured covering and an additional chrome trim strip. LED High Performance headlamps create a more striking look, both day and night (optional extra, not available for the B-Class Electric Drive or Natural Gas Drive). These increase safety at night due to their wide beam pattern and light of a colour similar to daylight. Bicolour tail lamps featuring LED technology provide emphasis and make the vehicle more visible.

A high-grade, functional interior underscores the B-Class's premium quality claim. The facelift gives the vehicle a more exclusive, up-to-date feel and boosts the scope for individualisation. Mercedes-Benz has enhanced a number of high-quality details in the B-Class such as the large, free-standing head unit display, which is now larger, with a diagonal of up to 20.3 cm (8 inches), and the stylish dial layout for the instrument cluster. There is a choice of 12 colours for the ambient lighting, allowing different moods to be created.

Mercedes-Benz has also revised the model range and aligned the logic to the other compact models. There are three new design and equipment lines: Style, Urban and AMG Line. Each features a number of distinctive exterior and interior details. The Night, Exclusive and AMG Exclusive packages build on these and provide more options for individualisation.

KEYLESS-GO is new as an optional extra. This access and drive authorisation system with KEYLESS-GO starting function allows the vehicle to be opened, started and locked simply by carrying the electronic key with you.

Safety: autonomous partial braking if the risk of a collision is detected

When it made its début, the B-Class redefined the standard of safety in the compact class with a variety of new driving assistance systems, some of them included as standard equipment. These functions have now been enhanced and new assistance systems added to give the driver more support. COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS extends the functionality of COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST with autonomous partial braking to reduce the risk of rear-end collisions. The standard ATTENTION ASSIST feature has also been upgraded: operating within an extended speed range (60 - 200 km/h), this now uses a five-stage bar display to visualise the driver's current attention level.

"Mercedes connect me" links the B-Class to its environment

Next-generation telematics offer more intuitive operation; functions are more accessible due to animated menus and visual representations on a larger display in the head unit.

"Mercedes connect me" links the B-Class to its environment. Basic Mercedes connect me services can be used with the standard communications module.

The available services include, among others, accident recovery, as well as service maintenance and incident management. In an accident, the Mercedes-Benz emergency call system automatically connects the occupants with the Mercedes-Benz Emergency Call Centre and sends the position and condition of the vehicle to the rescue operations centre. A rescue vehicle can then be dispatched immediately. The system works automatically but can also be triggered manually.

The special Remote Online equipment enables customers to connect with their vehicle anywhere and at any time via the URL "connect.mercedes.me" and to query by smartphone the fill level of their fuel tank, for example.

Mercedes connect me services are even more extensive for the B-Class Electric Drive: Via "connect.mercedes.me". The current charging level of the lithium-ion battery and current vehicle range can be queried comfortably from a distance. The range of Mercedes connect me services is rounded off by the ability (depending on the temperature) to preheat or precool the vehicle ready for a specified departure time.

COMAND Online customers are also able to receive real-time traffic information courtesy of Live Traffic Information.

A wide spectrum: petrol and diesel engines, all-wheel drive and alternative drive systems

In terms of efficiency, the new B-Class continues to set benchmarks with the best Cd value in its segment. The choice of efficient engines is extensive – four diesel engines, four petrol engines and two models with alternative drive systems. Also available are the B 180 and B 180 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Editions.

Thanks to the new B 200 CDI 4MATIC, the pleasure of all-wheel drive and safety now start at around 130 g CO2/km instead of over 150 g CO2/km (B 220 4MATIC) as previously. In total there are now four models with all-wheel drive for improved traction, high driving stability and safe handling.

The B 200 Natural Gas Drive and the B-Class Electric Drive coming soon (sales release: 3 November) join the portfolio as two models with alternative drive systems. Both use the B-Class's modular ENERGY SPACE body concept: The underbody houses one large and two smaller gas tanks and a 14-litre petrol tank (B 200 Natural Gas Drive) or the lithium-ion battery (B-Class Electric Drive). Due to this intelligent packaging method, the five-seater model has been able to retain the generously proportioned luggage compartment for which it is known.

The model range: new product logic with three lines

As part of the facelift, Mercedes-Benz has revised the B-Class's model range and brought the model breakdown into line with the other compact models. There are three new design and equipment lines: Style, Urban and AMG Line. Each features plenty of distinctive exterior and interior details. The Night, Exclusive and AMG Exclusive packages build on these and provide more options for individualisation. New KEYLESS-GO functions simplify operation.

The Style equipment line underlines the B-Class's stylish appearance. Exterior characteristics include light-alloy wheels in an expressive design, radiator trim with two louvres painted in iridium silver with chrome inserts, and shoulderline trim strips in chrome. For the stylish interior there are seats with Vianen upholstery fabric, trim with a line pattern, and selected elements in silver chrome such as the moulding on the multifunction steering wheel, highlights on the gear lever, and the switches on the top control panel. Useful details like a double cup holder on the centre console and a 12V socket in the rear round off the high-quality feel.

The Urban equipment line emphasises the vehicle's sportiness both inside and out. The radiator trim with two louvres painted in iridium silver and chrome inserts, 43.2 cm (17-inch) 5-spoke light-alloy wheels, and a twin-pipe exhaust system integrated into the bumper with chrome-look tailpipe trim create a dynamic impression. In the interior the sporty character is on display with seats featuring upholstery in ARTICO man-made leather/Montfoort fabric and a leather multifunction steering wheel with perforated grip area. Details like contrasting topstitching, silver chrome highlights and sail pattern trim round off the high-quality feel.

The AMG Line augments the vehicle's sportiness and exclusivity. Powerful AMG bodystyling ensures a dynamic appearance along with the radiator trim, which has two louvres painted in iridium silver and chrome inserts, and the two-pipe exhaust system integrated into the bumper with chrome look tailpipe trim. A lowered comfort suspension with Sports Direct-Steer system improves handling and boosts driving enjoyment. 45.7 cm (18-inch) 5-twin-spoke AMG light-alloy wheels, perforated brake discs at the front, and brake callipers at the front with Mercedes-Benz lettering complete the striking exterior. Seats in ARTICO man-made leather/DINAMICA microfibre and the multifunction sports steering wheel with flattened bottom section, as well as a gear lever with perforated leather, add stylishly sporty elements in the interior. This equipment line also includes red contrasting topstitching on the door armrests, centre console, seats, and gear lever. Brushed stainless steel sports pedals with rubber studs are another highlight.

The Night package allows the exterior to be individualised further. It includes selected design elements in black. The radiator trim sports two high-gloss black louvres and chrome inserts. The 45.7 cm (18-inch) high-sheen light-alloy wheels, exterior mirror housing, and shoulderline trim strips also come in black. Dark-tinted glass from the B-pillar to the rear protects against prying eyes and simultaneously emphasises the sporty character.

Comfort, quality, and design are hallmarks of the Exclusive package. Highlights include heated front seats with 4-way lumbar support that, like the multifunction steering wheel and gear lever, are covered with high-quality leather. The instrument panel and door centre panel are trimmed with matching ARTICO man-made leather. Leather seats are available in the following expressive colours: cranberry red, hazelnut brown and black. Silver chrome design elements also help to create an exclusive ambience. Among the many other practical details are infrared convenience closing and a 12V socket in the rear.

Building on the AMG Line, the AMG Exclusive package offers even more exclusivity, individuality and sportiness. Features include heated seats with 4-way lumbar support where black RED CUT leather upholstery with red contrasting topstitching creates striking highlights. To match them, the instrument panel and door centre panels, as well as the armrests in the doors, are trimmed with ARTICO man-made leather and have red contrasting topstitching. The leather multifunction sports steering wheel with flattened bottom section and perforated grip area and the leather gearshift lever emphasise the sporty character.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-14-2014, 12:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-14-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I don't care what body kit they slap on this, it's still a boring and anonymous car that blends in traffic.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I guess I can see the appeal as a city car.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
there is so many of these on the streets of Europe, it's like the most common car
Old 09-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
there is so many of these on the streets of Europe, it's like the most common car
I'm not surprised. I'm sure this was a reason BMW is building the 2-series Active Tourer.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
does B stands for Bitch? Because that is all i can see from that car.

The front hood and the A pillar reminds me of Ford transit.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
https://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-benz/2019-b-class/

The new Mercedes-Benz B-Class puts the emphasis on sport with the Sports Tourer. It looks more dynamic than its predecessor and is more agile on the road while offering greater comfort. Its avant-garde interior makes for a unique feeling of space with the distinctive design of the instrument panel. One of the special features is a basic volume, which drops away towards the occupants and has cutouts in the area of the driver and front passenger. The intuitive user interface of the adaptive MBUX multimedia system is ground-breaking. Its strengths include brilliant graphics, "Hey Mercedes" voice control, a standard touch screen and functions such as MBUX Augmented Reality. When it comes to active safety, state-of-the-art driving assistance systems make the B-Class one of the segment leaders with functions carried over from the S-Class. In addition, the interior is now more spacious, while the engines are more efficient and cleaner. The eight-speed dual-clutch transmission makes its debut. Start of sales for the new B-Class is 3 December 2018, with delivery due to begin in February 2019.

"More practical than ever, more chic than ever," is how Britta Seeger, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG, responsible for Mercedes-Benz Cars Sales, characterises the new B-Class. "In our portfolio of compacts, it's the perfect vehicle for the whole family. And MBUX - the new Mercedes-Benz User Experience - provides also the B-Class with an all-new customer experience with functions that were previously the reserve of the luxury class."

"The latest derivative of the new generation of compact cars from Mercedes-Benz, the B-Class writes a further punchy chapter in the success story of the dynamic Mercedes-Benz Sports Tourer," says Gorden Wagener, Chief Design Officer of Daimler AG. "With its emotional yet purist design, the new B-Class blends seamlessly into the design language of Sensual Purity."

The designers' brief was to make the new Mercedes-Benz B-Class stand out visually from the world of minivans. That brief was accepted and executed, with the long wheelbase (2729 mm) with short overhangs, slightly lowered roof line and larger, 16- to 19-inch wheels making for dynamic proportions. The relatively squat, progressive front end with flowing transition from bonnet to A-pillar and on to the windscreen, along with the muscular shoulder of the body, underlines the sporty overall look.

The same is true of the low-profile headlamps, the inside of which is already high-grade, detailed and precisely designed on the basic model with H7 headlamps and LED daytime running lights. When ordered with LED headlamps or higher, the B-Class comes with its own daytime running light signature in the form of a double torch. The optional MULTIBEAM LED headlamps have an especially sporty look. They allow fast, electronically controlled adjustment of the headlamps to suit the current traffic conditions. This feature from the luxury class, which made its debut in the compact segment in the new A-Class, now produces striking looks and added safety also in the new Mercedes-Benz B-Class.

At the back, the width of the vehicle is accentuated by two-part lamps, reflectors integrated in the bumper and a distinctive black bumper bottom section with diffuser look and chrome trim strip. The large roof spoiler, along with high-gloss black spoilers at the sides of the rear window, makes for improved aerodynamics while ensuring a sporty appearance.

The cd value of the new B-Class starts at 0.24 (predecessor: 0.25). The lower roof line further contributes to a best-in-class airflow due to the smaller end face of the car. In addition, the aerodynamics engineers have reduced the wind noise thanks to extensive detail work. The benefits: a high level of alertness as well as the ability to engage in a relaxed conversation.

The improved seat geometry and lower belt line make for an even more generous feeling of space than in the previous model. The driver sits 90 millimetres higher than in an A-Class, thus enjoying an especially good all-round view - also thanks to optimised cross-sections of the roof pillars, which obscure less of the surroundings.

Interior design: revolution, the second

The interior of the B-Class is as avant-garde as the much-praised revolutionary interior architecture of the new A-Class, yet distinctive: while the instrument panel of the sister model is split into two horizontal basic bodies, that of the Mercedes-Benz B-Class has a single basic volume, which drops away towards the occupants and has cutouts in the area of the driver and front passenger. The cutout in front of the driver houses the fully free-standing display unit, which comes in three different versions: with two 7-inch displays (17.78 cm), with one 7- and one 10.25-inch display (26 cm) and, in the Widescreen version, with two 10.25-inch displays. A head-up display is optionally available.

The five round air vents feature a high-grade turbine look with finely styled air ducts, inspired by the world of aviation. In the Style equipment line, the vent surround is colour-accentuated in the depth of the vent geometry to give the impression of an afterburner. The centre console with touch-based control and input system comes with a black panel look similar to the E-Class. The ambience lighting with 64 colours and ten colour worlds, a unique selling point in this segment, allows individual adjustments, even to suit the mood.

The seats offer a flatter and, therefore, more comfortable seating position as well as a larger adjustment range, which also increases the maximum headroom. There is also more space in the width: at 1456 millimetres (plus 33 mm), the front elbow width now has the dimensions of a mid-range vehicle.

ENERGIZING seat kinetics: supports changes of posture

With seat climate control and multicontour seats with massage function, the new B-Class is available with optional extras that were previously reserved for vehicles from much higher segments. This opens the way to even better seating comfort.

The new ENERGIZING seat kinetics is particularly good for the back. It can support orthopaedically beneficial changes of posture by regularly making minute adjustments to the angle of the seat cushion and backrest. The innovation is available for the front seats in combination with all-electric seat adjustment with memory function.

Variable rear seats and optimised luggage compartment layout

The interior has been fine-tuned in many places: the improved entry aperture to the centre tunnel in the rear makes for a more accessible middle seat. The rear seat backrest comes as standard with a 40:20:40 split. Depending on version, from mid-2019 it will be possible for the rear seats to be moved by 14 centimetres and for the backrest to be folded into a steeper position to vary the capacity of the luggage compartment behind the rear seats between 455 and 705 litres. Although the capacity is roughly the same as in the previous model, the luggage compartment can be more efficiently used thanks to the improvements.

With the rear seat folded down and luggage loaded to the roof, the luggage compartment, which is flat thanks to the adjustable load compartment floor, can accommodate up to 1540 litres behind the front seats. A folding backrest of the front passenger seat (optional extra, expected to be available from mid-2019) makes for an even longer loading length.

An EASY-PACK tailgate is optionally available. It can be conveniently opened or closed automatically at the press of a button, even by means of a foot movement in combination with optional HANDS-FREE ACCESS.

MBUX - Mercedes-Benz User Experience: unique experience

What goes for A also goes for B: the new B-Class is the second car model after the A-Class to feature the MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience) multimedia system, which ushered in a new era with Mercedes me Connectivity. Its ability to learn thanks to Artificial Intelligence makes the system unique. MBUX is customisable and adapts to the user. It thus creates an emotional link between vehicle, driver and passengers.

Its other strengths include touch screen control as standard as well as, depending on equipment, a high-resolution Widescreen cockpit, navigation display with Augmented Reality technology plus intelligent voice control with natural speech recognition, which is activated by saying "Hey Mercedes". The touch screen is part of the integrated MBUX touch control concept - a trio consisting of touch screen, touchpad on the centre console (optional) and touch controls on the steering wheel.

MBUX is a revolution of the user experience in the car. Emotively appealing showcasing features underline the comprehensibility of the control structure and thrill through brilliant 3-D maximum-resolution graphics which are rendered, i.e. calculated and displayed, in real time. A head-up display is also available.

New and improved Mercedes me connect services were launched with the new MBUX infotainment generation. These include navigation functions based on Car-to-X communication and Vehicle Tracking, which makes it easier to find the parked vehicle, as well as a notification function in the event of the parked vehicle being bumped or towed away.

The Mercedes me collection of apps can be placed as an icon on the screen in a user-friendly way, and can be freely sorted on the homepage like all other main applications. In addition, online content, such as current petrol station prices, can optionally be displayed. Online updating is a simple way of allowing new content to be made available in MBUX.

The new Mercedes-Benz B-Class is already set up for private car sharing: Mercedes me allows the new compact car to be shared with friends and family members. Operation is simple and secure using the Mercedes me Car Sharing app.

The new Mercedes me connect services On-Street Prediction, Real-Time Information and Off-Street Information can save Mercedes-Benz drivers valuable time and reduce their stress levels while at the same time cutting their fuel consumption and emissions when searching for a parking space. The real-time information is based, among other things, on Mercedes-Benz vehicles that have just left a parking space or driven past potential parking spaces.

Intelligent Drive: functions from the S-Class

The new B-Class comes with driving assistance systems with cooperative driver support, thus providing one of the highest levels of active safety in this segment with functions from the S-Class. For the first time, the Mercedes-Benz B-Class is able to drive semi-autonomously in certain situations. To do so, it employs improved camera and radar systems to anticipate the traffic up to 500 metres ahead while using map and navigation data for assistance functions. For example, Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC as part of the Driving Assistance package is able to support the driver in many route-specific situations, predictively and conveniently adjusting the speed, e.g. when approaching bends, junctions or roundabouts. Also on board are Active Emergency Stop Assist and intuitively understandable Active Lane Change Assist.

The new B-Class comes as standard with extended Active Brake Assist, which can help mitigate the severity of rear-end collisions with slower-moving, stopping or stationary vehicles ahead - and now even with crossing pedestrians or cyclists - or prevent them altogether.

The new B-Class, too, was developed and tested at the new Vehicle Safety Technology Centre (TFS). The design of the vehicle structures with regard to geometry, material thickness, joining technique and material quality incorporates findings from real-world accidents. Many bodyshell components are made of high-strength and ultra-high-strength steel to obtain high strength with lowest possible weight, because the core of the safety design of the body is the highly stable passenger cell.

Driver and front passenger are provided with three-point seat belts with pyrotechnic belt tensioners and belt force limitation. In combination with the PRE-SAFE® system (optional extra), the front seats are additionally equipped with electrically reversible belt reel tensioners. Both of the outer rear seats are fitted with a seat belt with reel tensioner and belt force limiter. The new Mercedes-Benz B-Class comes as standard with airbags for driver and front passenger, kneebag for driver and windowbags and sidebags (combined thorax/pelvis bag). Rear sidebags are optionally available.

Double powertrain debut: new powerful two-litre diesel is Euro 6d compliant, new eight-speed dual-clutch transmission

Compared to its predecessor, the new B-Class is in all cases powered by new, efficient engines, all of which comply with the Euro 6d-TEMP limits. Making its debut is a transverse-mounted version of the OM 654 two-litre diesel with 110 kW and 140 kW, aluminium crankcase and stepped-bowl combustion process. Thanks to extended exhaust aftertreatment with an additional underfloor SCR catalyst, the B-Class with the OM 654q is the first compact model from Mercedes-Benz to be certified in accordance with the Euro 6d standard, which will become mandatory for new models only on 1.1.2020. The large diesel represents an addition to the four-cylinder diesel (OM 608) already known from the A-Class with 1.5-litre displacement, up to 85 kW and up to 260 Nm.

Also available are two four-cylinder petrol engines of the M 282 series with 1.33-litre displacement and 100 kW/120 kW. Innovations include cylinder management (in combination with 7G-DCT transmission), delta shape of the cylinder head and particle filter.

The new Mercedes-Benz B-Class is initially available exclusively with dual-clutch transmissions. New here is the eight-speed 8G-DCT, which is used in combination with the larger diesel engine. Other new engines will follow, as will models with 4MATIC all-wheel drive. A 43-litre tank is installed as standard, while a 51-litre tank is optionally available, depending on the engine.

The following five engine variants will be available at the launch of the B-Class:
  • B 180 (100kW/136 hp, 200 Nm); with 7G-DCT dual-clutch transmission (combined fuel consumption 5.6-5.4 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions 128-124 g/km)
  • B 200 (120kW/163 hp, 250 Nm); with 7G-DCT dual-clutch transmission (combined fuel consumption 5.6-5.4 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions 129-124 g/km)
  • B 180 d with 7G-DCT dual-clutch transmission (85kW/116 hp), 260 Nm; combined fuel consumption 4.4-4.1 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions 115-109 g/km)
  • B 200 d with 8G-DCT dual-clutch transmission (110kW/150 hp), 320 Nm; combined fuel consumption 5.4-4.2 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions 119-112 g/km)
  • B 220 d with 8G-DCT dual-clutch transmission (140kW/190 hp), 400 Nm; combined fuel consumption 4.5-4.4 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions 119-116 g/km).
The new OM 654q diesel engine: lighter, more powerful, cleaner

The transverse-mounted version of the latest premium diesel engine family makes its debut in the new B-Class. Despite its lower displacement - just under two litres - the around 16 percent lighter new diesel engine with 140 kW (190 hp) puts out 10 kW more than the previous engine. On the inside, the OM 654q offers efficiency-enhancing technological highlights such as steel pistons with stepped bowls in an aluminium block. The cylinder liners are coated using the further-improved NANOSLIDE® process.

With a cylinder spacing of just 90 mm instead of 94 mm, the new engine is more compact than its predecessor while allowing the exhaust aftertreatment components to be installed directly on the engine, where the exhaust temperature is higher, making for more efficient aftertreatment. Thanks to further improved exhaust aftertreatment, the powerful four-cylinder from the modern OM 654 engine family already meets the Stage 2 RDE (Real Driving Emissions) standard coming into force from 2020, and is certified to Euro 6d. Even in demanding driving situations and under challenging environmental conditions, the Mercedes-Benz B-Class remains within all the emissions limits.

This is achieved by additional selective catalytic reduction (SCR) with an ammonia slip catalyst (ASC) in the exhaust system of the B-Class. This allows a more generous dose of the reduction agent AdBlue, as any surpluses can be reduced and converted in the second SCR. These surpluses (amonia slip) particularly occur during fast temperature changes in the exhaust tract, e.g. when moving from city traffic to the motorway.

Suspension: agile and comfortable

At least as agile as its predecessor while even more comfortable - that was the development brief handed to the suspension specialists for the new B-Class. Depending on the version, several options are available for the basic configuration, including a lowered comfort suspension and a suspension with active adaptive damping, which lets the driver control the damper tuning while driving using DYNAMIC SELECT. The system uses an electronic valve, the control of which additionally analyses the driving state and optimises the damping rate individually for each wheel.

In all versions of the new Mercedes-Benz B-Class, the front wheels feature McPherson struts and forged-aluminium wishbones, to which are attached cast-aluminium steering knuckles. This makes the unsprung mass as low as possible in the interests of road-holding and comfort.

At the rear, the models with the entry-level engine variants come with a twist-beam rear axle in the basic configuration. In combination with the more powerful engine variants or if the customer opts for one of the optional suspension systems, use is made of a sophisticated four-link rear axle, which is made extensively of aluminium to reduce the unsprung mass. The three wishbones and one trailing arm on each of the rear wheels are mounted on a subframe, which is isolated from the bodyshell by rubber bushings to reduce the transfer of vibration and noise from suspension to body. Single-tube shock absorbers and separate coil springs are used for both the four-link and the twist-beam rear axle.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: B-Class News