Mercedes' AMG Outguns Itself

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes' AMG Outguns Itself

Performance Studio to support a range of low-volume enthusiast models - - Source: Autoweek

Mercedes-Benz’s AMG division is creating a Performance Studio to support a range of low-volume enthusiast models, each based around traditional customization and modification work carried out at the company’s workshops on the outskirts of Stuttgart, Germany.

“We are receiving ever more requests for more dynamic models, special equipment features and specific components,” says Volker Mornhinweg, CEO of AMG. “The Performance Studio makes it possible for us to meet these requests in particular models. We plan to transfer technologies, from cars like the FIA safety car and the medical car used in F1 from the racetrack, into these high-end models.”

As outlined to AutoWeek, AMG’s new Performance Studio is divided into three distinct tiers—all a step above the standard AMG fare. At the top is the Signature Series, which includes highly exclusive models fit for the racetrack and boasting significant design and technical differentiation from standard AMG models.

The first example of the Signature Series is the brawny, supercharged 5.4-liter, 582-hp V8-powered CLK DTM coupe/cabriolet. Although not officially available in North America, Mornhinweg indicates a successor to this car is already under development at AMG and planned for launch within the next 18 months. “We want to ensure all future models are engineered to meet U.S. regulations,” he says.

One tier below is the newly established Black Series, conceived around the AMG definition of sporty characteristics and racetrack compatibility. First out will be the SLK55 Black Series. The series will expand next year with a similarly modified SL55 AMG Black Series, sources tell us.

Rounding out the Performance Studio is what AMG calls the Edition line. Based on standard AMG production models, it concentrates heavily on appearance changes both to the exterior and interior, as characterized by the CLS55 AMG IWC Ingénieur.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Mercedes' performance team is creating a performance division and Lexus does not even have a full lineup in place, let alone a performance team. That's how ahead the Germans are with respect to luxury offerings.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:00 PM
I Know Right?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should have tried to make it a little less ugly. That widebody kit looks like some crap you'd see in a F&F movie.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:29 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by driver centric
They should have tried to make it a little less ugly. That widebody kit looks like some crap you'd see in a F&F movie.
ur crazy, i love that car...

"Based on standard AMG production models"
must be great being rich...
Old 09-02-2006, 05:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,881 Likes on 3,491 Posts
now there's a new car coming from AMG called the SLK55 Black Series. It will have 400 hp instead of 360 and a carbon fiber roof and it will have a 137K pricetag!
Old 09-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
The series will expand next year with a similarly modified SL55 AMG Black Series
:wood:
Old 09-02-2006, 10:40 AM
I Know Right?

Originally Posted by stangg172004
ur crazy, i love that car...

To each their own.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I guess this 'tuning (re: Performance Studio) an already tuned car (AMG) is where MB tries to take away marketshare from the other guys (eg Klemann, Brabus, etc). I don't blame them -- you're already developing stuff for the track ... make a few more and then charge a whole bunch more to offset costs to rich guys who don't know what to do with their money.

Plus, it might get rid of companies like Unique-Autosports-wannabe-'tuners out of the upper-echelon market.

Gav -- you don't think Toyota-Lexus has the funds to mimic this 'Performance Studio' line? I think they don't want to waste their money. Instead they keep their war chests full of liquidity so they can pump more resources into R&D. Plus they want to make their shareholders happy with big profits. I would take the 'money now' stance VS 'street cred' stance. Give them time ... the Japanese will follow the Germans eventually.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by derrick
Give them time ... the Japanese will follow the Germans eventually.
They always do.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:32 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Hey Acura has the A-Spec package...LOL
Old 09-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by derrick
Gav -- you don't think Toyota-Lexus has the funds to mimic this 'Performance Studio' line? I think they don't want to waste their money. Instead they keep their war chests full of liquidity so they can pump more resources into R&D. Plus they want to make their shareholders happy with big profits. I would take the 'money now' stance VS 'street cred' stance. Give them time ... the Japanese will follow the Germans eventually.
I know what you're saying but when we're talking about a luxury brand I believe that a performance line is important right now. It adds cachet to the rest of the lineup. The 325i does receive some added credibility due to the existance of the M3.

However, the case is not so in the case of Chevrolet for example. The Corvette does not do anything for the Malibu or any other Chevy. The SS and GXP lines do help the base models a little I suspect. But again, for a luxrury division you have got to have a performance line these days. That's what I think.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by jiggaman
Hey Acura has the A-Spec package...LOL

LOL

I think that eventually even Acura will get with the program. They may call it the Type R line or something new but they will have to comply. They will probably be the last to do so though.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
1) The 325i does receive some added credibility due to the existance of the M3.

2) However, the case is not so in the case of Chevrolet for example. The Corvette does not do anything for the Malibu or any other Chevy. The SS and GXP lines do help the base models a little I suspect. But again, for a luxrury division you have got to have a performance line these days. That's what I think.
BMW is different than Chevy in the sense that BMW is a 'driver oriented' auto. Isn't Pontiac the "driver's car" in the GM division? The respective brand image of Chevy and Pontiac are kinda blurred due to GM not 'selling the brand' in any particular way. It's true the SS (Chevy) and GXP (Pontiac) try to make their respective models a little 'sportier' ... However, we know that people no longer have the same brand loyalty they once had 50 years ago.

Another thing regarding a performance line ... I think Lexus has entered the Lemans series. I would suspect they are trying to build their name up in that series ... then I would tend to believe they will 'trickle' down some of that tech with their regular line. They could continue the "L-tuned" thing they used with the 2nd gen GS stuff. I don't think TRD is what they'll call it since the word "Toyota" is in the name! (And most L-tuned parts are from the TRD line up, but rebadged ... haha)
Old 09-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
LOL

I think that eventually even Acura will get with the program. They may call it the Type R line or something new but they will have to comply. They will probably be the last to do so though.
I like the sound of "Type-R" over "A-Spec," hope they do bring back the Type-R line.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Mercedes' performance team is creating a performance division and Lexus does not even have a full lineup in place, let alone a performance team. That's how ahead the Germans are with respect to luxury offerings.
too bad it doesnt show in sales or quality. the germans need to concentrate on making higher quality cars instead of branching out when their main products are way behind in quality
Old 09-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

I think Lexus is the only German competitor (from any country) that has a full lux lineup. Sure, it doesn't have a performance divison, and it's not in some MB created niche segments (like the R and CLS), but I'd say it does have a full lux lineup.