McLaren: F1 News

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McLaren: F1 News

Goldarths.com

Back in 1992, I spent a remarkable day with the McLaren F1 project Technical Director Gordon Murray and Chief Designer Peter Stevens at McLaren’s headquarters in Woking, England. As the Grand Prix season was then at its height, the Formula One racecar section was off-limits.

I have returned to Woking several times since, but today, 14 years later, I am re-united with the McLaren F1 on a track near Munich, Germany. The silver-colored machine I find myself sitting in is one of the last F1s made and is part of the BMW Mobile Tradition collection.

Firing up the 627 bhp 6064cc V12 brings the memories flooding back to my day at McLaren, when we did the same thing in their workshop before hitting the road.

The McLaren F1 was launched to a flurry of interest from the press and car enthusiasts worldwide in 1992. With its stunning form and superb performance, the F1 was quickly hailed as the new standard-bearer for the supercar contingent.

The accolades poured in, but perhaps nothing endorsed the F1’s credentials better than the 24 Hours of Le Mans race in 1995 when the McLaren F1 finished first, third, fourth, fifth, and 13th on its debut outing. This was an unprecedented achievement for an all-new car type.

In 1998, the McLaren was piloted by F1 test driver and Le Mans ace Andy Wallace to a world record-breaking speed of 386.5 km/h (240.14 mph). This record would remain unbeaten for seven years until it fell to the Koenisegg CCR, and then the Bugatti Veyron in 2005.

During its production run from 1993 to 1998, only a hundred McLaren F1s were ever made; 65 of these were road cars, with the rest being race-tuned editions. It was the motorsports tie-up between McLaren and Mercedes-Benz that brought the F1 project to an end.

The key to the F1’s abilities on both road and track lie in its concept. As Gordon Murray explained in 1992: “The prime directive for the F1 project can be summed up in four words: small, slim, light, and powerful. It is a driver’s car first and foremost, and a car for driving.”

The F1 is about the length of the Porsche 911 of its day, but significantly wider to encompass its unique three-abreast seating configuration. Yet it is still anything up to a foot narrower than the widest major-league supercars. “The central driving position alleviates placement problems on the road and indeed the cost of making right and left-hand-drive versions,” Murray said.

Indeed, this choice of driving position reflects the no-compromises approach taken when it came to designing this ultimate car, and it has not been repeated since.

The Styling

Even in its styling, the F1 reflects a tremendous sense of unity of purpose and synergy. In this respect, the McLaren F1 is more functional in appearance and far from the flamboyant beauty of the Lamborghini Diablo or the Jaguar XJR-15 of its era. It will turn heads but it does not shout ‘look at me’ like many of its Italian supercar counterparts.

The proportions of the F1 also bear more than a passing similarity to a Ford GT40. “This was not intentional,” chief designer Peter Stevens said, “but we certainly did not want to produce a 1992 design that would date the car. Rather, our objective was to create a shape that would be classic in its proportions to stand the test of time.”

Looking at it today, there is little doubt that this is one of the most beautiful and harmonious supercar designs of all time.

In the interests of ultimate driver enjoyment, Gordon Murray was determined to make his supercar as light as possible.

The central monocoque and the body panels are made from carbon composites. Most primary structure panels are double-skinned and stiffened by aluminum honeycomb. The result is immense torsional and bending stiffness and low weight.

The F1 weighs just 1138 kg (2506 lbs), 60 percent less than a Diablo or Testarossa of its period, and a massive 750kg (1652 lbs) less than the Bugatti Veyron. So rigorous was the weight paring schedule that wheel maker OZ Racing was asked to shave the 14 kg (31 lb) weight of its aerospace grade magnesium alloy wheel as best as they could without losing strength in the wheel. Ultimately, they achieved a phenomenal 30 percent reduction in the production wheel.

Even the toolkit, a seemingly insignificant source of extra mass, merited the same amount of attention to weight. French tool-maker, Facom, was commissioned to make a strong but featherweight tool kit, and came up with a tailored forged-titanium set. Weight is one thing; where it is situated is quite another. As on a racing car, the F1 has most of its mass around the center, creating a very low polar moment of inertia that greatly enhances the nimbleness of the car. Indeed, the luggage compartments, which are behind each door, occupy areas that are usually wasted space in other supercars. In the F1 however, they form two 4.0 cu ft (113 liter) boots (complete with totally customized luggage). Such is the ingenuity of this placement that the center of gravity of the car changes by less than one percent even with a full load of fuel, passengers, and luggage.

The F1 is a car with superb balance while cornering. The springs are rated much softer than you might imagine for a supercar. However, thanks to exemplary matching with the dampers, the result is a firm but supple secondary ride with iron fisted control at speed.

Lightness is not its only virtue; the McLaren F1 bristles with tomorrow’s technology. Ideas that its designers thought would have mass-market appeal in the near future included the miniaturization of a host of common automotive components from the transmission, to the in-car entertainment and its unique front and rear suspension configurations.

Even the laminated glass with its significant compound curvature has an inner membrane that both heats and tints the glass. This also helps de-ice the glass seven times faster than the EC average in cold weather, while cutting ultra-violet light intrusion by a dramatic 85 percent.

The silver paintwork that covers the composite body is a new material said to protect the bodywork better, and one of the eight patents that technical director Gordon Murray has applied for is a composite molding technique that cuts the curing time for these materials by a dramatic margin.

The mighty BMW motor is what this car is all about. There is no substitute for cubic inches, and there is no forced aspirated motor in the world that comes close to the sound and throttle response of the mighty 6.1 liter, normally-aspirated V12. In fact, among naturally-aspirated engines, the only one that comes close is the bonkers 7.3 liter AMG-built Mercedes V12 in the Pagani Zonda F. Power-to-weight ratio is everything however, and the McLaren is 200 kg (440 lbs) lighter than even the Zonda, so its ability to pile on speed at the flexing of your right toe is awesome. The sound this engine makes when you lay into the throttle instantly has the hairs on the back of your neck standing to attention.

After the sound of 12 throttle bodies inhaling hard, the next thing that hits you is G-force and then the horizon reeling experience that you see on Star Trek when the USS Enterprise goes into warp drive. The gearshift is firm but precise, the unassisted steering heavier than you would like at low speeds. But as the needle cracks on around the speedometer, the steering lightens up and becomes full of feel and sensation.

When a car brakes heavily, the center of pressure rushes forward, lightening the load on the rear and creating instability. On the McLaren, the pop-up rear spoiler takes on a 30-degree angle of attack to the horizontal during heavy braking that helps to keep the center of pressure central, spreading the braking loads equally across the four wheels. No surprise, then, to find this feature on the current Mercedes SLR McLaren.

When the wing is raised, it also exposes additional brake cooling ducts. This active cooling is said to obviate the need for ABS, which is felt to hurt driver feel and add complexity and weight due to their inefficiency. The brakes themselves are huge Brembo vented cross- drilled discs clamped by four pot calipers.

In isolation it is hard for anyone, even someone who regularly drives supercars, to fully appreciate the McLaren F1 with just a short drive on a track. Owners I know who are lucky enough to have an F1 in their private collections speak of it like an old friend rather than just another car. They describe weekends away and even longer trips across Europe, something hard to do in rivals that have comparatively little luggage room and excessive girth for negotiating small city streets.

This proves the point that when Gordon Murray and Peter Stevens were penning the McLaren F1 all those years ago, they were also thinking about a car that could really be used everyday rather than a toy that would be just taken out for a short blast. So 14 years on, the beacon lit by the McLaren F1 still shines brightly. When you consider the size of the team and budget required to build this first all carbon-fiber supercar and project it safely to 240 mph back then, it seems small beer compared to the massive corporate effort required by Bugatti to mount its challenge.

The McLaren F1 may have hit the ground running eight years before the turn of the 20th century, but its concept and execution undoubtedly set the precedent for every major-league supercar to see the light of day since. On that basis, there is no doubt that the McLaren F1 is the seminal supercar that led its genre into the 21st century.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:10 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I drove alongside one of these for a mile last week near my house. I felt like I was seeing aliens or a dinosaur or something, I was in awe.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:37 AM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
it's still got it. it's still a hot car in my book!
Old 04-07-2007, 02:13 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Been in love with that car for as long as I could remember. I first saw it in a magazine when I was 8 or something, and over time, the more I saw and learned about it, the more it solidified its status as my ultimate dream car. Timeless styling, jaw dropping performance, and still has a degree of practicality. Just like my realistic dream car, the NSX, but on steroids.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:20 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
not bad but is that chick ps? she doesn't belong in there.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:50 AM
White as night.

THREE seats?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I still have my diecast model from 1993.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:34 AM
To punish and enslave

That cockpit layout is f*ucking sweet. Center drive, and two seats on each side =
Old 04-07-2007, 12:06 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

"there is no doubt that the mclaren F1 is the seminal supercar that led its genre into the 21st century."

couldn't agree more. the F1 is a brilliant supercar. still stunning after 15 years. timeless. simply timeless.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:08 PM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by Ashburner
I still have my diecast model from 1993.
Same here. It trully is the ultimate car. One day . . .
Old 04-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,968 Likes on 5,137 Posts
you can post about the F1 all day. :P btw those are (nice) pix I havent seen before, rep 4 u. thx
Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I wish Gordon Murray would design a true sucessor to the F1. In my opinion, no car matches the F1 even today. Some cars might be faster in terms of acceleration or top speed, but they don't have the total package that the McLaren F1 has.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maximized
I wish Gordon Murray would design a true sucessor to the F1. In my opinion, no car matches the F1 even today. Some cars might be faster in terms of acceleration or top speed, but they don't have the total package that the McLaren F1 has.

The "total package" has one huge fault... the brakes, Mr. Murray readily admits it.

Murray spends most of his time now doing editorials on the downfall of super cars and I often detect some sour grapes as no one has offered up the money he needs to do another super car. He has opined about wanting to do something like an Elise on 'roids which in essence is very cool but I don't think it will sell. You need close to the magic 500hp to sell an exotic today, people just aren't interested in saying "It only has 250 HP but it only weighs 1700 pounds". People with the money to buy a six figure car want bragging rights that everyone will be impressed with and horse power is that king.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ilitig8
The "total package" has one huge fault... the brakes, Mr. Murray readily admits it.

Murray spends most of his time now doing editorials on the downfall of super cars and I often detect some sour grapes as no one has offered up the money he needs to do another super car. He has opined about wanting to do something like an Elise on 'roids which in essence is very cool but I don't think it will sell. You need close to the magic 500hp to sell an exotic today, people just aren't interested in saying "It only has 250 HP but it only weighs 1700 pounds". People with the money to buy a six figure car want bragging rights that everyone will be impressed with and horse power is that king.
I've never read that about the brakes. Do you have any links to any articles that talk about it?

I guess if you think about it, brakes have changed in the almost 15 years since the F1 was introduced. Production cars now have Carbon ceramic brakes.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
coolest car ever

I love the 3 seat setup
Old 04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Race Director

hotness!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:00 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
That cockpit layout is f*ucking sweet. Center drive, and two seats on each side =

You need room for the first stringers you know (who gets the reference first? )
Old 04-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
Ah yes...saw those pics before. Done by Andy Wee...pretty good stuff.

http://www.andywee.com/main/main.html
Old 04-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all these years of drooling over the McLaren F1 and I've never noticed the dual review mirrors weird
Old 04-09-2007, 03:25 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That car, along with the Diablo was the poster car of my youth. I can't believe how good it still looks today.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Senior Moderator

McLaren: F1 GTR 'Longtail' Privateer Race Car for Sale

From Motor Authority...

The McLaren F1 was so far ahead of its time in terms of performance that it redefined the meaning of the term 'supercar'. But even during its production run, there was a faster variant, limited in production but now up for sale from a private collection in Japan.

Built for racing, the F1 GTR competed in the BPR Global GT Series, now known as the FIA GT Championship. The car ran for three years from 1995-1997, with 9 built the first two years and ten the final year. In 1997, the car weighed about 2,000lb (910kg) and generated a conservative 600hp (447kW) from its de-stroked 6.0L version of the F1's 60-degree V12.

The example on sale at Bingosports in Tokyo, Japan claims to be chassis #28R, the very last of the cars built. Chassis #28R was originally #27R, but was damaged and remade into a spare car that later raced at the tail end of the inaugural season of the FIA GT Championship. Little else is known about the car or the sale, aside from its Gulf Oil livery and its 'Longtail' longer rear wing section, a change in the aero for 1997 designed to get more grip over the rear wheels.

A standard road-going McLaren F1 recently went for $4 million at auction, and it's possible that this racing example could fetch even more. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the romantic racing history some might wish for.

To see the car in more detail, head on over to the Japanese sale site.
http://www.motorauthority.com/mclare...-for-sale.html
Old 06-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 06-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Alright. My left nut. Any nut. For this car.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Here's the Japanese sale site: http://www.wintel.co.jp/wintel/owa/p...in_shop_disp=1
Old 06-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Intermediate

can it fly?!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:14 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Old 06-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh, obligatory: WYHI...?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:00 AM
Racer

That Gulf theme is stunning
Old 06-17-2009, 02:10 AM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
oh god. that side shot
Old 06-17-2009, 02:10 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
*spontaneously orgasms* HOLY SHIT!!!!!! McLaren F1s are true masterpieces.... I usually don't like CF but when its all over the interior like that, wowowoweweroooo
Old 06-17-2009, 02:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Old 06-17-2009, 03:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Where has MotorAuthority been? This car's been for sale for over a month.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:45 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sick
Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 AM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
the epitome of a supercar...it will never be beaten, I don't care how many turbos you slap onto a 16 cylinder engine *cough*bugatti*cough* (or any other form of disappointing attempts at being better then the McLaren F1).

speed records mean nothing, its all about engineering, naturally aspirated is the only way to go...I'll just let the car speak for itself.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:49 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
Blah, no wins at Le Mans means no want.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Where has MotorAuthority been? This car's been for sale for over a month.
Well, where were you posting about this...?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For such a ridiculously incredible car, you would think they could have at least taken it off the dollies for the glamor shots.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Billiam
For such a ridiculously incredible car, you would think they could have at least taken it off the dollies for the glamor shots.
You're right, dude. Just because of the bad efforts on taking photos...I'm not buying the car.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Gulf colors FTW!!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Prettiest car I think I've ever seen....

Quick Reply: McLaren: F1 News