Mazda: RX-8 News

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Im with the others. It needed more than a minor fascia change. It needed a HP boost.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:14 PM
wut.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it me or do the taillights look very similar to the S2000's design more than ever?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IcyAccord
Is it me or do the taillights look very similar to the S2000's design more than ever?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
why not offer a turbo version? Or does this generation of the rotary have too many issues with boost?

I think the most powerful after market upgrade for these guys is a 3 rotor engine swap from Japan...
Old 01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
low power + horrible mpg = poor sales
Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
I REALLY liked this car. It was on my list when I bought the TSX, but it burns oil and gas like it's going out of style.

Seems Mazda hasn't fixed this. They need to realize that the rotary engine just won't cut it, put in a revised Mazdaspeed V-6 and call it a victory
Old 01-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by savage
it needs some boost from the factory... wtf... i bet the Mazdaspeed 3 might be faster at this point...
In a straight line it's not even close.

Around a track I still the the RX-8 smokes the MS3. Not 100% sure on that though.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by cmschmie
I REALLY liked this car. It was on my list when I bought the TSX, but it burns oil and gas like it's going out of style.

Seems Mazda hasn't fixed this. They need to realize that the rotary engine just won't cut it, put in a revised Mazdaspeed V-6 and call it a victory
Turbo 4 but They could have even made special attention to lowering the cg so that the handling argument for the rotary isn't as strong.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Python2121
Turbo 4 but They could have even made special attention to lowering the cg so that the handling argument for the rotary isn't as strong.
Afer I posted, I thought about the rotary=handling argrument. V-6 may be too big for this.

How much HP does the Mazdaspeed Turbo 4 put out? Bet it's more than the Renesis and WAY more torque.

Wake up Mazda, you're damn close to a winner here!!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Afer I posted, I thought about the rotary=handling argrument. V-6 may be too big for this.

How much HP does the Mazdaspeed Turbo 4 put out? Bet it's more than the Renesis and WAY more torque.

Wake up Mazda, you're damn close to a winner here!!
258hp but the engine is WAAAAAAYYYY too big even with a FMIC. If you look at the MS3 vs the regular Mazda3 you can see the hood has a huge bulge in it for the Top Mounted Intercooler.

I'm no expert but I can't see how the DISI Turbo4 will fit.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:45 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
My MS6 is 274 H.P....but the motor weighs like twice as much as a rotary does.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not as aggressive as current.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

It would have to be an extremely Small V6.. and I mean small.. (think current tiburon v6) in order to fit in the RX-8 engine bay, and even then, I still don't think it'd fit.

What you're asking for is simply a bigger car witha bigger engine, which means you lose the handling characteristics of the RX. Even the current I4 Turbo in the MS3 is simply just too big and heavy. Horsepower/Weight, the rotary engine has the best ratio. And if Mazda wanted to provide more Horsepower, they can simply create a wider base for the Rotary engine, and they probably will if they ever create a next gen RX-7/8.(Critics argue that a stock turbo can solve this problem, but Mazda is probably hesitant since the FD RX-7 twin turbo rotary had huge engine reliability issues... simply put, Turbo + Rotary = instability).

IMO, the RX-8 is a great car DESPITE its lack of horsepower.

The main problem with the RX-8 is that people keep on trying to compare it with the RX-7 Twin turbo or in the alternative with other coupes in the 300 HP range such as the 350Z. And this probably because the RX-8 was released as an "RX" model, and thus people assumed that it would be comparable to the RX-7.

But I find it funny how people who criticize the RX-8 for lack of power, can't seem to find the same fault in the Sk2? (Probably because there are alot more Honda fan bois, than rotary heads like myself) Instead, people who are avid for the S2k focus on the handling characteristics, and whatever other pros, in order to defend the S2k when compared to the 350z.

And comparison to the MS3? The MS3 (apparantly) even beats stock S2Ks in a straight line, but I'm sure the S2k and the Rx-8 will beat the MS3 around a track.

I never really considered the Rx-8 as a true competitor with the 350z or the G35 or whatever, but rather I thought it was a good competitor with the S2K. The trophy ultimately goes to the S2K because the RX-8 is a gas guzzler. (But, if you're like me, and you're willing to shell out 30k for either the S2K or the RX-8 or a 350z, fuel economy isn't the greatest priority.)

Last edited by BraveDemon; 01-24-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^

good points
Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Test Drive: 2008 Mazda RX-8 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Review and photos by Greg Wilson

Discuss this story in the forum at CarTalkCanada

North Vancouver, British Columbia - It's just over forty years since the introduction of Mazda's first rotary-engined car, the Cosmo Sport, and while other vehicle manufacturers have long since abandoned the rotary engine for more fuel-efficient powertrains, Mazda has refused to give up on Felix Wankel's innovative rotating triangular rotor design, developing and improving upon it over the years in cars like the R100, RX-3, RX-7, and finally the RX-8.

The 2008 40th Anniversary RX-8 Special Edition model then, is not just a celebration of four decades of Mazda rotarys - it's a testament to Mazda's stubborn determination to make this engine work in an increasingly difficult environment of stricter emissions and fuel economy standards. Mazda is even experimenting with a hydrogen-powered rotary RX-8.

As the only rotary-engine sports car on the market - in fact, the only rotary-engined car period - the RX-8 is really in a class of one. And it's not just the RX-8's engine: the RX-8 looks like nothing else on the market - its sculpted front fenders, beak-like nose, bold rear fender flares and wrapover rear window glass create a unmistakable look - and while it appears to be a two-door coupe, it actually has two rear-hinged door panels that open after the front doors have been opened to make it easier for rear passengers to get in and out of the tight back seats.

With its wide stance, low centre of gravity, and 48/52 front/rear weight distribution, the RX-8 has been officially recognized by the NHTSA as the car least likely to roll over in a single vehicle crash - which means of course that its handling limits are extremely high, the Holy Grail of sport car attributes.

The RX-8's two-rotor Renesis rotary engine displaces just 1.3 litres yet puts out 232 horsepower at 8,500 r.p.m. without turbocharging. Because its reciprocating rotary pistons go round and round rather than up and down, it has a higher rev limit than traditional IC engines: in this case 9,000 r.p.m. At high revs, the RX-8's engine sounds like nothing else on the road - sort of like a high-pitched formula racing car or sport bike.

The RX-8 is certainly unique, but if you want to be really unique, you can purchase one of the one hundred 2008 40th Anniversary RX-8 Special Edition models that went on sale in Canada in February. Based on the 2008 RX-8 GT model with six-speed manual transmission, the 40th Anniversary Special Edition (herein referred to as the SE) comes in one colour, a unique Metropolitan Grey and features "40th Anniversary Rotary Engine" badges mounted on both front fenders, unique 18-inch alloy wheels and blue-tint foglamps.

The SE's interior evokes memories of the Cosmo Sport with black and copper red leather sport seats and door inserts. The steering wheel, shift knob and parking brake handle are also leather covered.

Performance enhancements are relatively minor: special Bilstein shocks and a urethane foam-filled front suspension cross member for improved ride and performance.

The manufacturer's suggested retail price of the 2008 RX-8 40th Anniversary RX-8 Special Edition is $42,145, $1,650 more than a top-of-the-line 2008 RX-8 GT with leather.

Interior impressions

The RX-8 SE's interior is visually impressive. Striking copper-coloured seats and door inserts coordinate well with the black leather upholstery, aluminum console trim, black instrument panel with glossy black trim and racy aluminum pedals. To enhance the rotary theme, the RX-8's cabin includes a couple of design elements that are shaped like rotors, notably the holes below the fixed head restraints, and the top of the shift knob.

The RX-8 is a four-seater, but the two rear seats are separated by a central divider, and are rather cramped for adults. However, the two rear door panels make getting in and out of them much easier than it would have been in a two-door coupe - with one exception - when the RX-8 is parked next to another car. Here's why: when the front door is opened followed by the rear door, both doors form a barrier to the front and rear. When a car is parked beside the RX-8, it acts as another barrier, trapping the passengers in a sort of a box. This sounds silly, but when it happens to you, it's no laughing matter.

One good thing about the rear panel door on the driver's side is that the driver can toss items like briefcases, laptop bags, and store purchases into the back seat. In fact, I'd bet that the RX-8's rear seats are used more for this purpose than for transporting passengers.

The front sport seats not only look impressive, but they are very comfortable as well. Large side and thigh bolsters and upper body "wings" keep the driver comfortably in place during aggressive cornering. The driver's seat has a cushion that's height adjustable at the front and rear and a power recline function, power lumbar adjustment, and both front seats have electric heaters.

The RX-8's large easy-to-read gauges with illuminated white on black letters can be read at a glance, but there is no traditional analogue speedometer: the large tachometer in the centre contains a digital speed readout. The SE's meaty, three-spoke steering wheel tilts up and down but doesn't telescope in and out.

At the top of the centre stack is a bright, illuminated red display with useful information such as time, radio/CD functions, heating/ventilation indicators, and outside temperature display. The centre instrument panel has a stylized circular design with piano-black trim and aluminum trim. It contains a powerful Bose AM/FM stereo with six-disc in-dash CD changer (which includes nine speakers). Underneath that are straightforward controls for the heater and air conditioner. At the bottom of the centre stack is a panel which opens to reveal a 12-volt power outlet and storage slot.

The centre divider is low enough that it doesn't interfere with the driver's right arm when changing gears, a wise design feature. The unusual loop hand brake lever to the right of the shifter doesn't interfere with shifting either, but it looks funny. Behind the shift lever are two cupholders covered by a sliding panel, and further back is a shallow storage compartment, also covered. The centre divider extends all the way to the rear seats, separating them and making it a true "2+2".

The RX-8's trunk is rather small and oddly shaped, but it is fully lined and includes a pass-through between the rear seats.

Driving impressions

The 40th Anniversary Special Edition model has Mazda's "Intelligent Key" system which consists of a flat card-shaped key which you can leave in your pocket or purse while you lock or unlock the doors with a button or start the car with the plastic knob where the key would normally go. I really liked this system because I never had to take the key out of my pocket. The driver's door can be unlocked or locked simply by touching a black button near the door handle, and the ignition does not require inserting a key. The only drawback is the size of the remote key fob, which is much larger than most.

The RX-8 driver sits very low, but outward visibility is surprisingly good thanks to the low hood and wrapover rear window. The only blind spot is caused by the thick 'C' pillar when shoulder checking.

The RX-8 SE's 1.3-litre two-rotor Renesis engine develops 232 horsepower at a very high 8500 rpm and a relatively modest 159 lb-ft of torque at 5,500 r.p.m. Compare this to a Mitsubishi Eclipse coupe with a traditional 3.8-litre V6 engine which makes 260 hp at 5,750 r.p.m. and 258 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 r.p.m. With the rotary engine, all of the RX-8's power is in the upper end of the rev band while its low-speed torque is comparatively weak when compared to traditional piston engines. Still, I didn't find the RX-8 underpowered in normal city and highway driving, and its quoted 0 to 100 km/h time of just over six seconds is very quick.

Cruising on the freeway, the RX-8's rotary engine does about 3,200 r.p.m. at 100 km/h in sixth gear. That might seem high, but it's actually less than half of the engine's redline of 8,500 r.p.m. The engine hums along quietly at highway speeds.

One of the drawbacks of rotary engines is higher fuel consumption. The RX-8's official fuel consumption figures, with the six-speed manual transmission, are 12.8/9.2 city/hwy, but in a week of driving I averaged only 13.5 L/100 km - and the rotary engine uses Premium grade gasoline. Another quirk of rotary engines is their thirst for oil - Mazda recommends checking the oil every second fill-up!

Still, people who buy the RX-8 for its exciting high-revving engine and awesome handling probably won't be bothered by the cost of fuel and oil. The RX-8 is a thrilling car to drive, with point and shoot steering, unbelievably stable high-speed handling, fantastic braking ability, a quick, short throw six-speed transmission, and a wonderfully free-revving engine. The RX-8's monocoque body feels very tight, due in part to a front strut tower brace and Mazda's unique powerplant frame which surrounds the engine, transmission and driveline thereby reducing twisting and vibrations.

As a rear-wheel drive car, the RX-8 doesn't offer the same kind of traction in winter as a front-wheel drive car, but all RX-8 SEs include a standard limited slip rear differential, and electronic stability and traction control for those times when the rear wheels start to spin or the rear-end swings out unexpectedly.

The standard manual six-speed shifter (the six-speed automatic is not offered in the SE) has a short, stubby shift lever and shifts are quick with a direct shift feel. Clutch pedal effort is light and clutch engagement is smooth on take-off if engine revs don't drop too low.

The RX-8's ride is firm but not harsh: you will feel bumps and expansion cracks, but they don't punish your buttocks in any meaningful way. A tight turning diameter of 10.6 metres (34.8 ft.) allows tight turns and easy parking manoeuvres.

At night, the RX-8 SE's standard xenon HID headlamps provide plenty of illumination, and SE models include headlight washers and additional fog lights.

Verdict

The 2008 RX-8 40th Anniversary Special Edition's cosmetic improvements add a unique look to this already unique, rotary-engined sports car.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdr...-mazda-rx8.php
Old 05-27-2008, 01:40 AM
Race Director

too bad the mpg didn't improve
Old 05-27-2008, 02:30 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
There was a Best Motoring video with the RX-8 and S2000 in it, and the RX-8 fell back a few places. There was another one after that, with an RX-8 A-Spec (suspension + ground effects package IIRC) and the S2000 in it, and in the last turn of the last lap, the A-Spec finished with no other cars to be seen.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
It would have to be an extremely Small V6.. and I mean small.. (think current tiburon v6) in order to fit in the RX-8 engine bay, and even then, I still don't think it'd fit.

What you're asking for is simply a bigger car witha bigger engine, which means you lose the handling characteristics of the RX. Even the current I4 Turbo in the MS3 is simply just too big and heavy. Horsepower/Weight, the rotary engine has the best ratio. And if Mazda wanted to provide more Horsepower, they can simply create a wider base for the Rotary engine, and they probably will if they ever create a next gen RX-7/8.(Critics argue that a stock turbo can solve this problem, but Mazda is probably hesitant since the FD RX-7 twin turbo rotary had huge engine reliability issues... simply put, Turbo + Rotary = instability).

IMO, the RX-8 is a great car DESPITE its lack of horsepower.

The main problem with the RX-8 is that people keep on trying to compare it with the RX-7 Twin turbo or in the alternative with other coupes in the 300 HP range such as the 350Z. And this probably because the RX-8 was released as an "RX" model, and thus people assumed that it would be comparable to the RX-7.

But I find it funny how people who criticize the RX-8 for lack of power, can't seem to find the same fault in the Sk2? (Probably because there are alot more Honda fan bois, than rotary heads like myself) Instead, people who are avid for the S2k focus on the handling characteristics, and whatever other pros, in order to defend the S2k when compared to the 350z.

And comparison to the MS3? The MS3 (apparently) even beats stock S2Ks in a straight line, but I'm sure the S2k and the Rx-8 will beat the MS3 around a track.

I never really considered the Rx-8 as a true competitor with the 350z or the G35 or whatever, but rather I thought it was a good competitor with the S2K. The trophy ultimately goes to the S2K because the RX-8 is a gas guzzler. (But, if you're like me, and you're willing to shell out 30k for either the S2K or the RX-8 or a 350z, fuel economy isn't the greatest priority.)
I know this is old but I don't think that you could fit the old Mazda MX3 V6 in the RX-8. And that was a 1.8L ... Only 130hp though
Old 05-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post The End

We've been reporting for years now on the possibility of a revived RX-7, and it looks like Mazda may be moving one step closer to that goal with reports today that the RX-8 is due to cease U.S. sales after 2011. There will be a gap in the rotary world of at least two years, however, as the RX-7 (or whatever it will be called) isn't expected until at least 2013.

You still have a year to grab the fantastically-balanced if a bit inefficient four-seater before it goes to the big track in the sky, but with sales volumes not yet above the 500 mark in 2010, there may not be many leaping at the opportunity. It is, after all, an aging design and despite its truly graceful handling, it's a bit underpowered by today's standards, especially below 7,000 rpm.

The high-winding Wankel 1.3-liter is due to be replaced by a new RX-7, likely meaning a two-seat coupe instead of the RX-8's semi-four-door, four-seat layout. The engine in the new RX-7 is conversely expected to grow in size to 1.6-liters, to better help low-end power and torque while delivering even more top-end.

One challenge that's going to be tough to meet, however, will be the ever-tighter emissions controls being instated in Europe and the U.S.--rotaries, while efficient at generating power from very small displacements, typically burn lots of fuel and oil in comparison to conventional reciprocating engines, which in turn means relatively high emissions.

We'll hold out for the official word on the death of the RX-8 before we pronounce it final, but it's a natural progression for the car and for Mazda, so we won't be surprised when it comes. For more on the future RX-7 revival, check out our preview here.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

They really do need to kill that thing off and give us a proper RX-7. The RX-8 should never have been a four seat GT car; that's totally missing the point of having a rotary. It also looked dull aside from the front end and wheels of the updated version.

Give us:

RX-7
2-seats
6MT/6-7 speed twin clutch transmission
300+ horsepower

Keep the weight in check and you won't need 332 horses like a Z.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:41 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Long in tooth....should have been put out to pasture long ago.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...car-for-2012/1

The 2011 Mazda RX-8 will be the last model year for this iconic sports car, according to Mazda spokesman Jeremy Barnes. He said production of the model has already ceased, meaning whatever is left at dealerships is likely what's left of new RX-8 inventory.

Cars.com, which has access to inventory data, counts 219 new RX-8s as being available nationally.

There's no word on whether Mazda will bring an RX successor; the RX-8 replaced the RX-7 here in 2002. Along with the Miata, the RX played a key role in forming Mazda's "Zoom-Zoom" identity. The RX-8 featured a standard high-revving rotary engine — the only car in the U.S. that had such a configuration. If the RX-8 is not replaced, that could very well mean the end of Wankel rotary engines in this country. The automaker has been building rotary-powered cars since the 1960s.

The RX-8 was certainly a rare breed here. The car had a low-slung appearance, but it was rather accommodating with its hidden rear-hinged doors. Unfortunately, the rotary engine had pretty odd characteristics that might put off some car buyers. And its fuel economy was lousy.

Mazda has only sold 544 RX-8s so far in 2011, down 20.8% from 2010.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

From everything I read the car itself wasn't bad. It's that the Renesis left a whole lot to be desired. It's too bad too. Unfortunately, I don't think you can fit any other engine in the bay of the RX-8 like you could an RX-7.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Posts moved...
Old 08-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I found out about this a couple days ago

O well,
Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
I didn't even know they still made these
Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 PM

driving a rotary is like no other. Hopefully the next one is worthy of carrying the RX moniker.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2011 Mazda RX-8 SPIRIT R

Press release...

Mazda Motor Corporation has announced the Mazda RX-8 SPIRIT R, a special edition version of its four-door, four-seat rotary engine sports car. The RX-8 SPIRIT R will go on sale from November 24, 2011 at all Mazda and Mazda Anfini dealerships throughout Japan. Mazda RX-8 production will end in June 2012 and SPIRIT R will be the final special edition model. Mazda expects to sell 1,000 units.

The RX-8 SPIRIT R is based on the RX-8 Type RS (with six-speed manual transmission) and Type E (with six-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission). It is named after the final limited edition Mazda RX-7, and this pedigree is reflected in stylish features that include exclusive seat design and colored alloy wheels. Additionally, Mazda's curtain and front side SRS airbag system, which is available as a factory-installed option on the base models, will be offered as standard equipment. Following the launch, the Mazda RX-8 lineup will consist of the SPIRIT R and the Type G (with six-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission) model grades only.

Takashi Yamanouchi, Mazda's Representative Director, Chairman of the Board, President and CEO, said, "Mazda's iconic rotary engine recorded its famous victory in the Le Mans 24-Hour endurance race 20 years ago. Throughout 2011, we have been celebrating the 20th anniversary of that victory by demonstrating the winning 787B racecar at Le Mans' Circuit de La Sarthe and various other events around the world. At each one, the screaming rotary engine and the sight of the 787B have enthralled everyone from young children to race fans who witnessed its victory in 1991. These events have been a powerful reminder of the widespread passion for the rotary engine. Although RX-8 production is ending, the rotary engine will always represent the spirit of Mazda and Mazda remains committed to its ongoing development."

Special equipment
For both manual and automatic transmission models:
*Exclusive SPIRIT R badge
*Front headlights, front fog lights and rear combination lights (with black bezels)
*Front and rear brake calipers (red)
*Transmission tunnel trim (piano-black)
*Curtain and front side SRS airbag system

Exclusive to the manual transmission model:
*Specially-made SPIRIT R bucket seats from RECARO
*225/40R19 89W tires and 19-inch alloy wheels (bronze)

Exclusive to the automatic transmission model:
*Leather seats (black with red stitching)
*Leather-wrapped steering wheel (black with red stitching)
*Parking brake lever (with red stitching)
*Center console box front seat armrest and rear console box lid covered with synthetic leather (with red stitching)
*Sports suspension, larger brakes
*225/45R18 91W tires and 18-inch alloy wheels (gun metallic)

Exterior body colors:
*Aluminum Metallic
*Sparkling Black Mica
*Crystal White Pearl Mica
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-09-2011, 09:37 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Its a shame they don't stick a different engine in these and sell them like hot cakes. I know its the heritage, but I've always liked the way the car looks...and drives.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

^

I think the RX-8 is a terrific-looking car. Too bad I'm not a fan of the Renesis engine.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
I like it a lot, add another 6k for a supercharger kit and you will own the road.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by o2cls
Its a shame they don't stick a different engine in these and sell them like hot cakes. I know its the heritage, but I've always liked the way the car looks...and drives.

Here's what the RX-8 needs:

LINK

not all that other blah, blah, blah Ebay tack on crap that Mazda is trying to peddle as a Spirit R (WTH?)!!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one who isn't a fan of the RX-8's engine...
Old 10-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Seats look the rest MEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,143 Likes on 4,810 Posts
I like the seats and the wheels but was never really a fan of the RX8.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
After I saw this yesterday I've been thinking.

even if mazda would just put the 2.3mzr motor in that car it would be leaps and bounds better. save the rotary tradition for a car that can be considered competition to other auto makers.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://jalopnik.com/why-the-mazda-r...-be-1831750146

I’ve always wondered why big-power rotary tuners always picked older engines from the last RX-7 rather than the Renesis engine from its RX-8successor. Newer is better, right? As it turns out, that’s not exactly the case.

If I want information about rotary engines, I tend to go looking for videos from the Australian or Kiwi scenes. That’s where rotary culture is at its strongest (at least within the english-speaking world) and for some reason the biggest and baddest Wankel builds all seem to come from there.

So it’s no huge surprise that the mega bros of Fullboost did this video on why the Mazda RX-8's rotary is so often left behind and tuners tend to turn to its predecessor. For the purposes of this post, I’ll just call that the 13B and the RX-8 engine the Renesis, though technically the Renesis is a 13B-MSP, standing for multi-side port, a problem that will come up.

The video touches on a few points:

Poor Build Quality

In dealing with a lot of these engines, these guys found that the later RX-8 engine housings tended to be of lower quality, showing warping after lots of use.

A 13B might get to re-use its rotor housing on an engine rebuild; a Renesis driver would not be so lucky.

Poor Exhaust Breathing

Looking at the rotor for an RX-8's Renesis engine looks better than the 13B’s. The later engine has more openings in its plate.

Rotary tuners are always boring out the openings in earlier Mazda rotaries, so it stands to reason that the later, bigger-opening engine would be better. You can see how that porting works in the following vid:

It works for the earlier stuff; why not the later?

Well, the earlier engines have a clear and easy exhaust exit in the rotor housing. The Renesis engine, locating that exhaust exit within the plate, requires the exhaust gas to turn to get out of the engine, a more difficult path. The Renesis engine is basically choking itself, apparently in the name of emissions compliance. A later engine indeed.

Shrimpy Apex Seals

Between the bad exhaust routing and the poor housing build quality, you would need very good seals to keep everything clean and separate inside the rotary engine itself.

As Engineering Explained noted in his old rotary engine shortcomings video, the rotary engine needs good seals as one half of the engine is always heating up after combustion in relation to the other half expelling exhaust and intaking air. It’s always trying to warp itself, so it needs good seals.

But the apex seals in the RX-8's engine are thinner and poorer than the ones in the RX-7's 13B. They are lighter so they work better at high RPM, but they pose big reliability problems.

Doesn’t Like Boost

The problems with the skinny apex seals and poor housing build quality are doubly true when forced induction joins the fray. Boost a Renesis rotary and everything that went wrong even when naturally aspirated gets exacerbated. The earlier 13B engines are tougher, while the later Renesis ones are more frail, if quieter and more emissions-compliant.

So the later RX-8's engine got the car through tougher emissions standards and was quieter and more civilized than its predecessor, the 13B. But that older engine was better made (it hailed from a time of the Bubble Era, not unlike the Toyota 2JZ) and responds better to big power changes as well as rebuilds. I guess it’s no surprise then that tuners pick the older choice.

The question remains why Mazda couldn’t make the later engine not only more efficient than the earlier one, but just as tough as well. I’ll ask Mazda next time I talk with them, as I’m sure they had good reasons for it. For now, though, I will have to continue to cast shame at the vile RX-8's engine, hurling curses why such a nice chassis got hobbled by such a weak rotary.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:13 PM

Sad. What could've been.

How do you follow up a legend like the FD with that?

Quick Reply: Mazda: RX-8 News