Mazda: MX-5 News

Old 02-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sky/Solstice are going to be shown as overrated. The new Miata is the real deal. Looks good and Mazda has been working on them for years.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Yawn! This car is boring, but the interior looks nicely built. The Sky/Solstice looks better and should perform better all around.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cusdaddy

It will have 170/170 at the onset and in Detroit I spoke to one of the Sky engineers. He hinted at at 220+ hp version in the not too distant future.
I believe it. I am guessing the 220+HP version will come out a year after the base model.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
The Sky/Solstice are going to be shown as overrated. The new Miata is the real deal. Looks good and Mazda has been working on them for years.

Although noone has driven a production Sky (only pre-prodcution Solstices have been tested), something tells me that they wont lack, as far as handling, when compared to the best (and that's probably the Miata). One thing is for sure and that is that many agree that the Sky looks better than anything out there right now, even when compared to some of the luxury roadsters. For example it clearly looks better to me than the S2000.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by goldmemberer
How is the kerb weight affected?
Good question. I am guessing by very little. I am guessing like 50 pounds heavier at most.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Is it that much bigger?? Or are they using midgets as models?

Good observation. The dude looks like he's 5 feet tall in there
Old 02-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by heyitsme
I wouldn't be so sure, the Miata will be ~500lbs lighter than the Sky or Solstice.

500 pounds lighter? No way dude
Old 02-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Collective27
But i hate to say it, but id RATHER own a saturn then a mazda....what is this world coming too!!!!
That's right. The impecable service by Saturn dealers (they have outclassed Lexus a few years in the past 7 years and came second in many others, after Lexus) and the hip image (which will only be perceived as more hip after the Sky and Aura come to dealers' showrooms), will help outsell the Miata.

But above all, what will make the difference in sales volume here will be the looks. And nothing looks better than the Sky today. Even with looks being a subjective matter. That's how good looking that thing is live.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by phile
GM is (finally) waking up, that's why. With all the rebadging they do, I'm surprised it took them this long to take Opels and slap the Saturn badge on them.

To be fair, if you're referring to the Lightning, VX, etc., if it were not for the Kappa platform, none of these would have been reality, so it's back to the GM basic hardware that we owe the story of both the Opels and the Saturns.

On the other hand, the styling cues and various surface elements, are totally Opel-like.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Teh ?

BTW, Pontiac Solstice price just announced...

$19,995... not bad.

Junkster, who wonders if the Sky will be comparably priced
Old 02-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Originally Posted by heyitsme
I wouldn't be so sure, the Miata will be ~500lbs lighter than the Sky or Solstice.

Where did you see the official figures of both cars? I doubt it will be 500lbs lighter. Maybe 200 or so, but 500 sounds like a bit much

Originally Posted by gavriil
500 pounds lighter? No way dude
Gm announced the solstice concept at 2860lbs, seems unlikely they would have something to offer now that would reduce that. I'd expect the more they add into the fancier sky version, the car will only end up being heavier than that base number.

The current miata weighs ~2447 and mazda claims the new car has been reduced in weight by 22lbs according to
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104782

Gearing may also play a role, miata will have a 6-speed while gm will be using a 5-speed.

The mazda isn't as flashy as gm's cars but it still looks nice and its proven.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Miata is the proven champ but the Saturn is a worthy competitor. I hope the magazine drive reviews are positive.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

headlights and tail lights are the biggest disappointment. should have made them look like the rest of the mazda family, with angular lights instead of squashed ovals.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Mazda MX-5 - - Source: Autoweek

The third-generation MX-5 roadster will debut. U.S. sales begin in the spring, and European sales start in August. The rear-drive car is sold here as the MX-5 Miata. The redesigned two-passenger convertible is slightly larger than the current model. The interior is more spacious and features higher quality materials. The rear end is flatter and wider to accommodate a larger trunk.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Mazda MX-5 3rd Generation Limited to Debut at New York International Auto Show

New York, 16th March 2005. Mazda wants to add some bite to the Big Apple. The Hiroshima-based company will use the 2005 New York International Automobile Show to reveal the MX-5 3rd Generation Limited, a unique, launch edition of the all-new MX-5 roadster, the next generation of the best selling two-seat, open-top sports car of all time. The show opens to the public on March 25.

he limited edition launch model commemorates the all-new MX-5's evolved "lots-of-fun" character and jinba ittai driving attributes, and marks its global sales kick-off, slated for the latter half of 2005. Jinba ittai (pronounced 'gin-buy ee-tai') is a Japanese expression that literally means "rider and horse as one" and conveys the harmony felt between car and driver in motion. The limited edition production run will be 3,500 units for global markets, and sales are being synchronized with the start of sales for the all-new MX-5 roadster.

The interior and exterior design of the 3rd Generation Limited features glossy chrome-silver parts as a salient design element, accentuating the feeling of high quality, and evoking the classic and the modern combined in a lightweight, open-top sports car. The inherent dexterity and light, responsive feel of the MX-5 is also expressed in the 17-inch aluminium alloy wheels with a newly-developed silver finish --a hue created to sparkle like that of a finely crafted Japanese sword. All MX-5 3rd Generation Limited models will come equipped with the 2.0-liter MZR engine and a six-speed manual transmission; each will carry a unique badge stating the sequential production number. The show model has a Velocity Red Mica exterior --exclusive to the limited edition--matched with deep crimson leather seats. Additional colours will be available.

At the annual New York auto show, Mazda will also feature additional versions of the all-new MX-5. Other key Mazda vehicles will be exhibited in its Zoom-Zoom showroom, including the all-new Mazda5 and an upgraded model of the award-winning Mazda6. The show runs from March 23 to April 3. Press days are March 23 and 24.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:42 PM
101 years of heartache...

front is very s2000ish. 500 lbs. lighter? That'd be plenty enough to take out the 170/170 Sky. Even 250 lbs. would put the 2 close. However, in terms of refinement, quality, and looks, the Sky has it won.

Does anyone know how much the 220 HP version of the Saturn Sky will cost? I'd love to see a turbocharged inline 4 that'd keep the weight down, despite my disliking of forced induction in most cases.

As for Mazda, they're still doing turbos often, so I'd like to see 210/200 minimum out of the Mazdaspeed MX-5.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:35 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
I like it...but I cant fit in it.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 1killercls
I like it...but I cant fit in it.
I know what you mean

With a jacket on, I could not fit in an S2000 this year.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

... Never did like the Miata. It just doesn't appeal to me.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

And the Beat Goes On: Mazda Drums Up A New Vision of a Classic with the Third-Generation Miata - - By NATALIE NEFF - - Source: Autoweek

Published Date: 3/28/05

2006 MAZDA MX-5 MIATA
ON SALE: Late summer
BASE PRICE: $24,000 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 2.0-liter, 160-hp, 140-lb-ft I4; rwd, six-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 2470 lbs (est.)
0 TO 60 MPH: 7.6 seconds (est.)

Some 16 years earlier Mazda had come up with this slogan to describe the experience of driving the then-new and unknown Miata. And while today it hardly bears explaining to anyone what a Miata is all about, Mazda nonetheless felt it important to drive home the point that—given the opportunity a redesign might afford to explore new and different ideas—it refuses to abandon the vision its little roadster conjured up all those years ago. If nothing else, the resurrection of the Miata’s original slogan shows some allegiance, some respect for its past. The car is, after all, an undeniable legend in its own time.

Okay, perhaps that’s too much weighty stuff to stick to such a straight-up car, and perhaps there’s an irony to be found in the gravity with which such a playful, lighthearted car is treated. Nonetheless, buried within all that slogan-making marketing malarkey is an honesty that aficionados of the British-cum-Japanese roadster have known since the car’s inception: There is scarcely a purer driving experience to be had in mainstream automobiledom.

Even as the options list grew over the years—automatic transmission, wood trim, leather seats, power locks, etc.—the car has remained true to its enthusiast intentions, to its uncompromising pursuit of the simple joy of driving. Too tall for it? Too bad; wouldn’t want too high a center of gravity. Too tight a fit? All the better to feel one with the road. It’s a philosophy to which Mazda has steadfastly clung—and for which fans of the diminutive sports car have steadfastly rewarded the automaker, if not through consistent sales, then by their devotion to the car as hobby, even a lifestyle. The Miata is simply one of those cars you just don’t risk doing wrong.

And Mazda didn’t. The automaker has clearly understood the delicacy with which any redesign of its beloved roadster must take place, and for this third-generation car it once again has used a light touch.

At a quick glance, the car looks largely unchanged, but upon closer examination the subtleties of the styling begin to jell. The biggest departure takes place in the front, where the hoodline sits higher off the headlights, which are themselves more oval and wrap further around the corners of the car. The grille is now more oval than trapezoid, the softer shape strengthened by the addition of a separate lower air scoop, while the ever-so-rounded fenders get replaced by the more exaggerated flares of the RX-8’s wheel arches.

In fact, the car’s whole trademark “Coke-bottle” look gets the boot for a more aggressive RX-8-esque treatment, the delicately concave flanks swapped for slab sides punctuated by sharply creased wheel wells at both ends.

The car looks most familiar from behind. The most notable changes take place with the movement of the center brake light off the lip of the decklid onto the top nearer the hinge end, and with twin tailpipes peeking out from below the bumper where a single one sits on the 2005 model. And then there are its roll hoops, fixed in place, acting as both safety devices and styling cues.

Inside, the Miata feels more technical, if a little less sensuous, its sculpted dashboard—where the air vents form little hillocks across the surface—now a flat plane marked by the instrument cluster’s one large binnacle. The center stack assumes a more distinct shape, the controls housed in a more integrated unit than has been used in the past. The gauges take on a more chronographic quality across the IP, and the steering wheel gets a chunkier feel, with controls now mounted directly on the spokes.

Of course, the biggest questions sit unanswered, and will remain so until the opportunity to drive the car comes to pass. We can tell you, however, that so far things look promising—on paper, anyway.

The car has grown in width (by 1.6 inches) and length and height (0.8 inch each)—good news for the six-foot-plus crowd, to be sure. However, it’s the Miata’s longer wheelbase (by 2.6 inches) and wider track (3.0 inches front, 2.1 inches rear) that will make the most significant impact when it comes to piloting the car down the road.

Then there’s the switch from a rear double-wishbone suspension setup to that of a multilink design. If tuned well, we don’t doubt the car’s lively handling feel will be little affected by the switch—and more likely improved.

Improved, too, because the car is now also perfectly balanced, with a 50/50 weight split front to back. This was achieved in large part by moving the engine slightly rearward, making the Miata a true midship design.

When the car goes on sale this summer we will most likely see a more powerful 2.0-liter I4 underhood in place of the 1.8-liter now found motivating the Miata. Power should be up as well, with about 160 horses and 140 lb-ft on tap, or roughly 18 hp and 15 lb-ft more than you’ll find in a 2005 model. The engine will also be fitted with a two-stage intake and variable valve timing, with a larger throttle body and lighter flywheel. The whole thing will breathe out through a four-into-one exhaust, and be good for up to 27 combined mpg, according to Mazda.

Shifting will fall to either a six-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted shift paddles, or, newly developed specifically for this car, a wide-ratio, short-throw six-speed manual transmission.

Perhaps the most promising point to note: Despite the increase in size, Mazda says the 2006 Miata will weigh but roughly 22 pounds more than the 2005 model. Keep in mind the new car will come with, as is usually the case, significantly more content than found on today’s Miata (think safety, like side airbags, as well as convenience equipment), and that figure becomes all the more impressive.

Mazda hopes it’s impressive enough to lure those roadster buyers it once held sole dominion over back into the fold; after all, as fickle a segment as the Miata finds itself in, it’s no secret most buyers have long since strayed into newer and more chic showrooms. After selling a peak 51,000-plus units its first year, Miata sales have steadily fallen, to a low sub-9500 in 2004.

The new car should at least turn that number around, with those scooping it up no doubt eager to drive to the beat of a very familiar—and fun—drum.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Safety Car

I look forward to seeing how the Soltice will stack up against this MX-5.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Mazda cuts roadster base price by $1,600 - - Source: Automotive News

The base price of the 2006 Mazda MX-5 convertible is $20,995, including shipping, Mazda North American Operations said. The previous-generation Miata started at $22,658.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

This is reaction directly related to competition from the Solstice.

At last, we are seeing some very aggressive pricing from manufacturers from the get-go (on popular vehicles).
Old 07-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Diesel engine for Europe greenlighted

MX-5 Diesel Gets Go-ahead - - Source: Autoexpress

Hardcore fans of the MX-5 will be shocked - a diesel version of the new Mazda is on the way! However, it's not all bad news for purists; they will be the first to get their hands on a special restricted-availability launch model.

A spokesman for the company confirmed to Auto Express: "There are people working on high-revving diesel engines at the moment, and I can see us using one in the MX-5."

Lovers of the RX-8's rotary engine will be disappointed, too. The clever powerplant has been ruled out for the two-seater, although the current conventional 2.0-litre unit will be joined by a more powerful version soon. "There's no reason why we shouldn't build a high-performance MX-5," added the spokesman. "This car deserves a more powerful variant." Expect a normally aspirated unit, with the 2.3-litre from the Mazda 6 a likely candidate.

Meanwhile, only members of the official MX-5 owners' club will be able to order one of the 300 special-edition cars available during November - the model's first month on sale. Finished in metallic red and based on the top-of-the-range Sport, the newcomer gets a unique cabin and numbered plaque. Outside, there's chrome trim around the windscreen. Prices have yet to be released, but expect a figure of around £19,000 - the standard 2.0-litre car is likely to cost about £18,500.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I guess I'm not crazy after all
Old 08-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Mazda expects Europe to be top market for new MX-5; Solstice, Sky blamed for shift - - JAMES B. TREECE | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

TOKYO -- Mazda Motor Corp. is predicting that Europe will replace North America as the largest market for the redesigned 2006 MX-5 Miata. The automaker blames the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters.

With fewer competitors, the Miata sold more strongly in North America, says Daniel Morris, Mazda's senior managing executive officer in charge of marketing, sales and customer service. Now the MX-5 must take on the 2006 Solstice, which went on sale this month, and the Sky next spring.

Mazda predicts that about 45 percent of MX-5 sales will be in Europe, or about 18,000 a year. North America will sell about 40 percent, or about 16,000.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Safety Car

The automaker blames the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters.
They should really blame themselves, the car overall is nice but they really should have had a higher performance engine laid out for this car by now-base and high end.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CandianDriver
August 29, 2005
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/06_mx5.htm
First Drive:
2006 Mazda MX-5
By Paul Williams
photos by Paul Williams and Greg Wilson

2006 Mazda MX-5 GS. Photo: Greg Wilson. Click image to enlarge
Kelowna, British Columbia - Although it's not likely you know what "Jinba Ittai" means, you may be familiar with classic images of a Japanese warrior on a galloping horse, the rider seated upright with bow and arrow primed, the horse smoothly traversing an undulating terrain.

"Jinba Ittai" means "the rider and horse as one" and this, according to Mazda, was the guiding principle behind the development of the new, third-generation, 2006 Mazda MX-5 (formerly, and still informally known as the Miata in North America).
This is the sports car that in 1989 effectively revived the two-seat roadster, and after selling over 700,000 of them worldwide, its market relevance has been clearly established.

Evoking "Jinba Ittai" was a technique used by Mazda's senior engineers to preserve the essence of the MX-5 from one generation to the next, but it also provides an easily understood metaphor for consumers as well. It suggests a vehicle that's responsive, nimble, stable and reliable. Mazda is focusing these qualities not only in performance conditions, but also in everyday situations like merging, passing, turning and driving in urban traffic.

2006 Mazda MX-5 Limited. Photo: Paul williams. Click image to enlarge
A new generation of a popular vehicle is always interesting, but to kick off the latest MX-5, Mazda is producing 3,500 3rd Generation Limited versions, which receive special wheels and chrome trim, along with a plaque identifying the car by number on the transmission tunnel. All feature a special colour -- Velocity Red Mica -- and only 150 3rd Generation Limited cars will be available for Canada.

The big news for Miataphiles, however, is that #1 of the 3,500 3rd Generation Limited vehicles happens to be a Canadian car, and is currently available for sale (at least it was at the time of this writing). If you want it, act immediately. If it's not spoken for, your $34,995 and a helpful local dealer may be successful in acquiring that very collectible car for you.

But even if you don't get #1, there are 149 others available, along with three MX-5 trim levels starting at $27,995 for the five-speed manual GX -- the same price as the outgoing model.

Rounding out the model range are the clearly defined characters of the $30,995 "Sport" GS, with its six-speed manual transmission, and the $33,995 "Leather" GT.

The GX is identified by its 16-inch alloy wheels, four-wheel disc brakes, front and rear stabilizer bars, power windows and door locks, six-speaker audio with CD and remote controls, tilt steering, cruise control and fog lamps.

For an extra $3,000, the GS adds some very desirable features. Standard on this model are the six-speed manual transmission, 17" alloy wheels, anti-lock brakes, limited slip differential, dynamic stability control, traction control, and a sport-tuned suspension with Bilstein shock absorbers.

The GT trades the sport suspension and stability control for xenon headlights, standard air conditioning, side airbags, heated leather seats, smart card keyless entry system, and Bose audio with seven speakers.

There is a short list of options for the new MX-5, including a six-speed automatic transmission for the GX at $1,200; a six-speed automatic with paddle shifters for the GT at $1,255; air conditioning for the GS/GX is $1,000 and a detachable hardtop for the GS/GS/GT is a reasonable $1,815.

But I'll bet there are people who'd like the sport package and the Bose audio, for instance, but unfortunately, you can't "mix-and-match" features for the trim lines (at least, not yet). For instance, you can't have side impact airbags on the GS, and nor can you select dynamic stability control for the GT. Mazda Canada explains that with the limited numbers of MX-5s sold in Canada (about 1,200 per year) there isn't the flexibility to "custom" build each car (air conditioning, however, is a dealer installed option except on the GT in which it is standard equipment). That limitation extends to exterior colours and interior trim as well, so if you'd like a Sunlight Silver Mica GS with red leather interior, you're out of luck.

Fortunately, the car has the sports car bona fides to overcome quibbles you may have about appearance and options.

Under the hood, horsepower is up to 170 from the 2.0-litre, four-cylinder, all-aluminum engine with variable valve timing. The same engine powers the three trim levels.

Complementing the willing engine is a superbly balanced chassis, wonderful transmission, excellent clutch, and instantly obedient steering and braking.

The weight distribution in the MX-5 is designed to be 50/50 with the driver in place (it's 52/48 otherwise), which contributes to the supremely balanced feel of the car. While "Jinba Ittai" may be a guiding philosophy, it is certainly realized on the road, where the MX-5 really does feel like an extension of the driver's body.

It is most definitely a handling car, with emphasis on cornering rather than sheer grunt. The 170-hp motor is plenty sufficient, mind you, but it's not a rocket (and doesn't need to be), taking the MX-5 from 0-100 km/h in 8-seconds in the GX and 7.5 seconds in the 6MT GS. Most drivers will find this is more than adequate for their needs.

The sport suspension on the GS is a real treat. Although it firms up the ride, it does permit the MX-5 to take corners at high speeds with virtually no body roll. The standard suspension provides a more comfortable, yet still sporty, ride.

Our test route took us through central British Columbia where fairly high speeds could be achieved on twisting mountain roads. Of particular note is quietness of the cockpit at speed with the roof down, achieved by raising the windows and the small wind block behind the seats.

2006 Mazda MX-5 Limited. Photo: Paul williams. Click image to enlarge
And speaking of the roof (vinyl for GX and GS; cloth for the GT) the MX-5's must be the realization of perfection in the evolution of the manual folding top. Not only is it a one latch, one hand operation, but it's also spring loaded and folds in such a way that it eliminates the need for a tonneau cover. It's also watertight and airtight. All in all, a magnificent piece of engineering.

2006 Mazda MX-5 GS. Photo: Greg Wilson. Click image to enlarge
Legroom in the cockpit has been extended by 65 millimetres, which will be good news for taller drivers, but the overall length of the car increases by only 40 mm. Likewise the width is increased by 40 mm and the car sits 15 mm higher. Weight, even with the added size and extra features, increases by only 10 kg. Trunk space is sufficient for some small bags or the luggage of a person that travels light.

Although it has a completely new body, the 2006 MX-5 is easily recognizable and does not dramatically diverge from the 1st and 2nd generation cars. The dual exhaust at the rear is a nice touch, as are the seat backrest hoops. An elliptical theme is evident throughout the car (body, hood, mirrors, lights) and the car is all about curves as opposed to straight lines.

Is it still cute? According to Brandy in BC, mother of three and owner of a minivan upon seeing the car close up: "Oh, it's so Ceeeuuuute. I love it!"

So, yes. It's still cute.

But as I say, it's a real sports car. The new seats are comfortable and snug, holding the driver securely in place, while the precise and direct steering provides endless entertainment even in everyday driving conditions.

Which is what you want in a car like this: fun, novelty and quality in a vehicle that makes the mundane enjoyable.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by World Car Fans
15 seconds faster than predecessor

The third-generation Mazda MX-5 takes the famous Nordschleife 15 seconds faster than its predecessor
The “green hell’s” unique circuit made for the perfect proving grounds
Fine-tuning of brakes, tyres and spring-damper assemblies

Mazda developers fine-tuned the new Mazda MX-5’s chassis systems at Germany’s legendary Nürburgring Nordschleife, pushing components like brakes, tyres and dampers to their limits. The 21 km long “green hell” with 73 curves, which hosted the Formula 1 German Grand Prix until 1976, challenges chassis and suspension like no other circuit in the world. Driving 10,000 km here is equal to 200,000 km of normal driving, which is the average life span of an automobile. And Mazda testing on the most beautiful and demanding race track in the world paid off. In the end, the third-generation Mazda MX-5 lapped the Nordschleife 15 seconds faster than its predecessor. Stronger engines, larger brakes and tyres, a stiffer body shell and an especially well-balanced chassis made this leap in time possible.

After two years absence, Mazda engineers are once again regular guests at the Nürburgring and the new Mazda MX-5 is the first new model to profit from this. “The Nordschleife is more like a normal road than a modern race track. That makes it so attractive for us,” said Yasuyoshi Mushitani, chassis engineer responsible for European testing. “The circuit changes constantly, partially due to the erratic weather, partially due to the track’s different surfaces. Every curve has a different grip level and a different gradient. Several curves slope outwards with adverse camber, for instance. The curve radiuses vary as well, but the toughest are those curves where the vehicle and passengers are literally pressed together. If a bump comes while you’re steering into the curve here, then the force applied to the chassis is extreme.”

Although the Mazda development team had already done the bulk of chassis and endurance testing at their home proving grounds in Miyoshi, Japan, the old Nürburgring was seen as an essential test location for fine-tuning the new Mazda MX-5’s chassis systems. “We drive a pre-determined number of laps and observe, for example, what the temperature is in a damper,” said Alexander Fritsche, Assistant Manager at Mazda’s European R & D Centre. “With the brakes, we not only test the temperatures involved, but also brake pedal feel and brake system stability.” Tyre testing was also very important. “Special types of tyres could only be eliminated after Nürburgring testing,” said Fritsche. “A tyre that causes no problems on normal roads can disintegrate after a few laps around the ‘Ring.”

The Area Around Nürburgring Was Also Perfect for Test-Driving

After resuming test driving on the Nürburgring race track in May 2004, Mazda expanded their test efforts to the surrounding country roads and even to the Autobahns. The German Eifel area has advantages as well. The Autobahns are relatively empty and have no speed limits; the country roads are not all smooth and have various surfaces. “For us it was important that the new MX-5, besides its basic sporty concept, also be a dependable and easy to control companion in everyday driving,” said Fritsche. “The focus of our tuning here was linearity.”

On the Autobahn, Mazda pilots tested the stability of the new Mazda MX-5 during high-speed driving, especially during fast lane changes. On two-lane roads, tests were conducted on things like brake feel, steering and throttle pedal response, slow-speed comfort, as well as transmission and differential tuning.

Further Testing Conducted in Classic Roadster Country—Great Britain

The test schedule also took the new Mazda MX-5 to the Eastern English county of Essex. Here in classic roadster country there are small roads with lots of tight curves, garnished with rough and porous surfaces. Similar conditions greeted the test crew around the Glen Eagles, Perth & Kinross region of Scotland.

The Ideal Chassis Developer – Symbiosis Between Horse and Rider

Chassis philosophy for the new Mazda MX-5 is based on the Japanese ritual of Jinba Ittai – the symbiosis between horse and rider. This unity served engineers as guiding principle for developing the driving attributes of the new Mazda MX-5. However, instead of concentrating on pure speed, they strove to realize the ideal of a well-balanced driving machine that would allow skilful drivers high levels of driving enjoyment without the need of a large-displacement engine.

In the end, all these individual measures resulted in a new best lap time during testing at Germany’s Nürburgring – a final confirmation that the goal had been achieved and something that would put a smile on the face of every Programme Manager.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2051021.003
Old 11-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Metal-top MX-5: Mazda plans folding hardtop model for 2006 - - JULIAN RENDELL - - Source: Autoweek

Mazda will launch a metal folding hardtop version of the MX-5 in September 2006, featuring a three-piece folding roof grafted onto the bodywork of Mazda’s two-seat roadster.

Developed in-house by Mazda rather than by an outside coachworks, and likely to be badged MX-5 Hardtop, the new model is targeted at buyers of the growing numbers of coupe-convertible models.

The sales growth in that segment left MX-5 with a smaller share of the overall market compared with when the Miata was launched
15 years ago.

Apart from the new roof and its mechanism, the MX-5 fundamentally remains unchanged. The Hardtop will ride on the same wheelbase, have the same size cabin and feature the same rear overhang. The extra bulk of the metal folding roof will likely eliminate much of the car’s trunk space when folded down. The mechanism is sure to add weight compared to the manual folding soft-top, but the amount is unknown.

Such drawbacks are likely to be ignored by many buyers attracted by the metal roof’s greater resistance to vandalism, sense of security and refinement at cruising speeds. Look for the Hardtop to add $2,000 to $3,000 to the MX-5’s sticker price.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Look for the Hardtop to add $2,000 to $3,000 to the MX-5’s sticker price.
Wow! Kinda steep.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Safety Car

Wow! Kinda steep.
Not only that. But won't that add quite a bit of weight. I hope it'll have more power fto offset it.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

MX-5 has won this year's Japanese Car of the Year award as a dark horse. It won by a convincing margin from Lexus GS and BMW 3-Series. Surprisingly, Honda Civic finished a low fourth place (previously, every generation Civic was a default winner of this award). Suzuki Swift came fifth.

Mazda MX-5: 447 points
Lexus GS: 309 points
BMW 3-Series: 212 points
Honda Civic: 165 points
Suzuki Swift: 154 points.

http://www.autozine.org/0_News/Archi...ews_frame.html
Old 12-08-2005, 04:02 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
interesting, i dont think the weight gain could be that much, my friend has an 1990 miata, and he added the hard top to to it, but removed the soft top, he said its about an extra 100lbs for the hard top, and the soft top mechanisms weighed about 50lbs, so in reality he gained an extra 50lbs or so
Old 04-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Mazda is tipped to unveil a folding tin-top version of its brilliant new MX-5 at this summer's British Motor Show in London.
This computer-generated image gives an idea of what the car could look like, but you'll have to wait until July for official shots of the new Mazda.

There's no more official information on the secret Mazda just yet, but we'd expect it to go on sale later this year with a price tag of around 17.000GBP to 17.500GBP - about 1.500GBP to 2.000GBP more than the soft-top.

This summer's event should be the best British Motor Show in decades, because along with the Mazda it will feature world debuts of the next-generation Land Rover Freelander and Vauxhall Corsa.
Source: WhatCar and Autobild
Old 04-23-2006, 07:39 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Wow, like a baby SLK. ..
Old 04-23-2006, 08:13 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
looks great from the side, the back not so much....
Old 04-23-2006, 09:14 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I've only 2 maybe 3 new miatas since they came out...
Old 04-23-2006, 10:30 PM
goldmemberererer

But... those... are entirely different designs?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mazda: MX-5 News