Which one, lol?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring Full Test

Mazda 3's New Face
By Mike Schmidt Vehicle Testing Manager
Date posted: 01-01-2009

Hit the snooze button. Rub our eyes. Grab some snacks and head out the door. Don't forget a jacket. Today we test the 2010 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring.

Key in pocket, we climb behind the wheel. At this pre-dawn hour, the cabin remains dark until we shut the door. Crimson backlights bring life to the ringed gauges of the instrument panel. Before our eyes can adjust, the red hue spreads to the center stack, where a digital welcome invites us to Mazda's temple of zoom. Directly below, a horizontal blue band highlights the radio interface and continues south into the dual-zone HVAC dials.

Our introduction to the thoroughly revised and improved 2010 Mazda 3 culminates with a push of the start button.

Premium Thinking
Mazda views this 2010 version of the Mazda 3 as an opportunity to enhance its existing recipe for the small sedan. Since the Mazda 3 is already the global leader in sales for Mazda, dramatic changes were deemed unnecessary. Instead, Mazda engineers have simply added value to the Mazda 3.

This has been the Mazda 3's position statement until now, of course, but now the program includes a larger-displacement engine, a stiffer chassis with a fine-tuned suspension, and an exterior shell that's been reshaped for function as well as style. All the while, Mazda has tried to preserve the sporty spirit that has set the Mazda 3 apart from its less ambitious rivals.

Add Amenities
Our lanky frame appreciates the driving position afforded by an eight-way adjustable seat paired with a tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel. We settle into the slightly larger sport seats of the Grand Touring version of the Mazda 3, and their modified bolsters secure us comfortably into position. Also new for the 2010 Mazda 3 s GT is a three-position memory feature for the driver seat, and with our settings saved, we spin the seat heaters to level five to take the chill off this dark winter morning and hit the road to the test track.

We approach the freeway on-ramp led by a pair of auto-leveling bi-xenon headlights, now standard equipment for the s-model Grand Touring. As we pitch the Mazda 3 into the ramp and press closer to the cornering limit of 0.82 g that the day's test protocol will later define, the adaptive system pivots the headlights to light our way. Adaptive headlights in a compact car are unexpected, let alone as standard equipment.

The ramp straightens out and we merge onto the freeway. The 60-mile trip to the track offers plenty of time for us to delve into the Mazda's multi-information display (MID). A full-color information display comes with the optional Technology package, and complements keyless entry, push-button start and satellite radio. Integrated with the MID is an optional compact navigation system with controls mounted on the steering wheel. Its display screen is smaller than others in the segment, yet this makes it more cost-effective to manufacture, so Mazda expects the system to run about $500, which will enable it to be competitive with portable nav units from the aftermarket.

Add a Zoomy Shape
We top off the 15.9-gallon fuel tank with regular unleaded, pull into our test facility and park the Mazda atop the scales. Only now in the morning light do we really get to look over our Celestial Blue Mazda 3. It's slightly longer from bumper to bumper to accommodate a larger fuel tank and the s-model's unique muffler design. The character lines of the hood and body sides have been redrawn to reflect the lineage of the Mazda family face, something that has been successfully established by the RX-8, CX-7, CX-9 and now the Mazda 6. But we can't stop staring at the Mazda 3's grille. It's hideous.

Special attention has been paid to develop the Mazda 3's prominent new beak, and it's functional. The design actually limits airflow to the engine compartment to only what's truly necessary for cooling and combustion, and the result is a lower coefficient of aerodynamic drag. A guide incorporated into the front bumper directs air into the radiator. Meanwhile, a bypass flap opens at high speed to minimize the drag of the cooling fan behind the radiator, while subtle deflectors in the fenders improve airflow around the tires. So for all the visual challenges of the Mazda 3's new grille, the end result is a 0.29 Cd, one of the lowest drag coefficients in the compact class.

Efforts to lighten the vehicle led Mazda engineers to the chassis. By replacing key areas with high-tensile steel, increasing the rigidity of the attachment points and adding structural adhesive, bending rigidity has increased 7 percent, while weight has decreased by 24 pounds. Our tester still weighed in at a hefty 3,035 pounds, with 61 percent of that weight over the front tires. That is 200 pounds heavier than the last Toyota Corolla we tested and 100 pounds more than the most recent Honda Civic. We drive off the scales and pop the hood.

Add an Engine
We safety check the vitals before sending the 2010 Mazda 3 through a series of straight-line tests. This new 2.5-liter MZR inline-4 is up 11 horsepower and 18 pound-feet of torque from the 2.3-liter MZR of the 2009 Mazda 3. It also happens to be the same engine used in the 2009 Mazda 6. It generates 167 hp and 168 lb-ft of torque, and this four-banger doesn't redline until 6,200 rpm. From a standstill, the new 3 hits 60 mph in 7.9 seconds (7.6 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) and crosses the quarter-mile light in 15.8 seconds at 88.03 mph.

Throttle response and power are commendable for a car in the compact segment. At the same time, when the car is pushed to its limits, the otherwise crisp-shifting six-speed transmission can be cumbersome. Our test driver had trouble convincing the stick to engage 3rd gear during a couple of acceleration runs.

Brake testing is next. Mazda updated the system with a vacuum booster designed to provide a more linear pedal response under light-effort braking. The electronic brakeforce distribution has also been recalibrated to improve handling during hard braking and extreme cornering maneuvers. But when it came time for the Mazda's four-wheel discs to shine, they didn't. The Mazda 3 requires 127 feet to come to a stop from 60 mph, and we've tested a 2009 Corolla with rear drums that needed only 125 feet to complete the same task. We suspect the Mazda's overall weight probably plays a role here.

Add a Suspension
As the Mazda shows its stuff through the slalom and around the skid pad, its superior chassis and suspension design take center stage.

The previous-generation Mazda 3 earned our praise for its steering feel and sound body control, and some minor refinements for 2010 ensure that it keeps its personality intact. Its electrohydraulic-assist rack-and-pinion steering gear is now bolted down in three locations (one more than the previous year) to minimize vibration over rough pavement. Recalibrated dampers and relocated antiroll bars improve body control without adding harshness. And the aforementioned upgrades in chassis rigidity work in sync with these suspension alterations to offer excellent handling balance and nicely weighted steering effort through the slalom. The 2010 Mazda 3 records 68.2 mph, a speed identical to the last Honda Civic Si we tested. That is impressive.

We pull the Mazda 3 over to the skid pad and begin our first lap. Well-balanced and highly responsive to throttle input, this sedan handles more like a sports car than an affordable compact car. Its 17-inch Yokohama Avid all-season tires wrestle with freeway expansion joints, but around the smooth surface of the skid pad they grip without distraction to a limit of 0.82 g. Again, the Mazda holds true to its dynamic lineage.

Keep the Heritage
With a scent of burned rubber and brake pads in the air, our test day comes to an end. We pack our bags, grab our jacket and head for home.

Mazda has changed the 2010 Mazda 3 without changing its attitude. New ingredients improve its dynamic make-up without compromising the spirit we loved so much in the outgoing model. We expect Mazda also won't compromise when it comes time to announce pricing on the Mazda 3 early next year. It should be comparable to its predecessor.

We appreciate the effort to refine products. But when a redesign is scheduled simply because the product life cycle suggests it's time, the customer usually pays the price for a car that's different but not better. The 2010 Mazda 3 is an example of doing it right. Every improvement here reflects a functional purpose. Of course, as the Mazda 3's grille also proves, sometimes functional isn't always attractive.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Hmmm...an unattractive front end - where have I head that before?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:08 AM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
while some may consider this mazda's front end unattractive, i would hardly put it in the same league with any vehicle in acura's manglefaced stable.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 AM
how handsome I am

if that's what you were implying biker.. if not, mia culpa!
Old 01-03-2009, 02:01 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by agranado
while some may consider this mazda's front end unattractive, i would hardly put it in the same league with any vehicle in acura's manglefaced stable.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by agranado
if that's what you were implying biker.. if not, mia culpa!
Yes, but just with regards to journalists saying so - and of course there are degrees of ugliness.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Teaser Video

IRVINE, California — Mazda is getting ready to unveil its 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 at the upcoming 2009 Geneva Auto Show, and has released a teaser video previewing the sporty hatch.

Mazda will introduce the high-performance version of the Mazda 3 five-door on the morning of March 3 in Geneva.

The new 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 is expected to go on sale in the U.S. in late summer or early fall, Mazda spokesman Jeremy Barnes told Inside Line.

The Mazdaspeed 3 is loaded with aggressive styling and a direct-injection 2.3-liter turbocharged engine, but still has the functionality and cabin space of a five-door hatch. It joins the Mazda 3 four- and five-door models to round out the 2010 Mazda 3 lineup.

Check out the high-energy video of the hatch hitting the dangerous twisties on the coast of California.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/au...hotopanel..1.*
Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,409 Posts
I could swear I saw one in Vancouver the other day...
Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
I think when the new speed 3 comes out I am trading in my speed 6.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1killercls
I think when the new speed 3 comes out I am trading in my speed 6.

Good call

I'll be ready to trade my 07' 3s in on a new Speed.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I don't understand why Mazda insisted that the previous MS3 was "fine" with no front scoop and now suddenly has one.

Marketing? CYA bullshit?

I like the new one. Very aggressive.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:27 AM
office monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My buddy got the 2010 mazda 3 4 door (GT loaded) a couple weeks ago and it is damn nice. The front looks much better in person than in the pics although he got black so maybe that helps since the foglights housing and grill blend in better being the same colour.

It's a GREAT car and I can't believe it is that cheap (just under 28k CDN) with all the features it has. I also can't picture any cars in its class topping this unless they get redesigned and loaded up in features. I mean really, this thing is fantastic.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:34 AM

the black does help with the grille a lot.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob L
My buddy got the 2010 mazda 3 4 door (GT loaded) a couple weeks ago and it is damn nice. The front looks much better in person than in the pics although he got black so maybe that helps since the foglights housing and grill blend in better being the same colour.

It's a GREAT car and I can't believe it is that cheap (just under 28k CDN) with all the features it has. I also can't picture any cars in its class topping this unless they get redesigned and loaded up in features. I mean really, this thing is fantastic.
I wholeheartedly agree. I was at the Mazda dealer last night and got the chance to sit in a white 010 GT Loaded Sport model with Lux package and I came away very impressed. The dash layout is well thought of, the design is certainly improved and most of all it's all in a tight affordable package.

Last edited by nokiaman; 02-19-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Being a photoshop newbie, I've always wondered how you do that.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,649 Likes on 13,889 Posts
Post 2010 Mazda3 MPS

From Worldcarfans...

With the Geneva Motor Show just hours away, Mazda has released additional details about their new 2010 Mazda3 MPS. The front-wheel drive model adopts the Mazda3's latest design language and is motivated by an upgraded version of the company's MZR 2.3-liter DISI turbo petrol engine.

Among the major styling changes is the addition of a new hood mounted air intake for the intercooler, MPS exclusive front fender and bumper designs, bi-xenon headlamps and sporty black exterior trim accents. Other styling elements include a large rear spoiler, clear LED taillights, and exclusive 18-inch aluminum alloy wheels which feature a design similar to that used on the Mazda RX-8.

Inside, the new model adopts a far more premium appearance compared to the previous generation. Changes to the cabin include a new LED turbo boost gauge, exclusive black and red upholstery, and red stitching applied to the steering wheel, seats, door trim, shift lever boot, and center armrest.

Power comes from Mazda's four-cylinder MZR 2.3-liter DISI turbocharged petrol engine which produces 191 kW (260 PS) and 380 Nm of torque. Performance figures for the new model include a 0-100 km/h acceleration time of just 6.1 seconds and a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph). Despite the added power, fuel economy improves as the new Mazda3 MPS is rated to consume 9.7L/100 km, a 0.5L/100 km improvement over the previous generation.

As expected the new model comes equipped with a six-speed manual transmission, additional chassis reinforcements for improved body rigidity, a unique sports tuned suspension, electro-hydraulic power assisted steering, and high-performance brakes.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,649 Likes on 13,889 Posts

Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
That looks pretty good. According to the Mazda website, that is the european model.

Hopefully the NA version looks the same.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...aspeed3.action
Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

If only it were AWD.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 AM

i can do without the hood intake though.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
2010 Mazda3 recalled

Mazda may have just launched its 2010 Mazda3 sedan and hatchback last month in North America, but the automaker has already been forced to recall all 25,400 of its small cars over the possibility of a wiring harness design that can lead to system short circuits.

Clearance between the engine wiring harness and the starter motor housing is insufficient, meaning a vibrating wiring harness could rub up against the starter motor and cause a short circuit that could stall the vehicle and make it unable to be restarted.

Mazda will repair damaged wiring harnesses and add a protector clip designed to keep the wiring harness away from the starter motor housing.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that the recall, Mazda Recall 5409D, will begin on May 6. Concerned owners can also call Mazda’s North American operations at 1-800-222-5500.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2010-maz...tml#more-17163
Old 04-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Not a big deal. I mean, it's a bit of a to Mazda but shit happens.

I really wish the new Mazdaspeed3 was AWD!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Not so keen on the new styling over the old I do like some elements like the new headlight shape and the hood scoop though, but the smile and the rear tails that stick out from the body are kinda weird. Those tails remind me of the new accords headlights that sorta buld out from the seems as well.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I like it alot!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:58 PM
I drive a Subata.

the interior design is pretty cute now too
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post New Engine

LOS ANGELES -- Mazda plans to add gasoline direct-injection engine technology to the Mazda3 when the compact sedan receives a freshening in the second half of 2011, Automotive News has learned.

The new engine will mark the North American debut of Mazda's SkyActiv powertrain technology, which combines next generation direct fuel injection engines and fuel-saving transmissions to deliver fuel economy close to that of a hybrid.

The gasoline direct injection engine, called SkyActiv-G, and a SkyActiv transmission will be added to the Mazda3 when the compact sedan receives its mid-lifecycle freshening in the latter half of this year, according to a source with knowledge of Mazda's plans.

A Mazda spokesman declined to confirm the information when contacted by Automotive News.

Kiyoshi Fujiwara
, Mazda's head of product planning and powertrain development, said at a briefing about the technology in August that a Mazda3 with a 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder Sky-G engine mated to a Sky-Drive 6-speed automatic would get an estimated 40 mpg on the highway compared to the 33 mpg on the current Mazda3.

Fujiwara also said that the next-generation Mazda6, with a 2.2-liter Sky-D twin-turbo diesel engine, would achieve an estimated 43 mpg on the highway, compared with 30 mpg on the current, gasoline-powered Mazda6.

New engineering

Mazda has spent millions on its new family of direct injection gasoline and diesel engines, new transmissions, chassis and vehicle frame technology to shave weight and increase efficiency in its vehicles. The strategy stands in contrast to competitors, like Toyota, for example, that have adopted a strategy of vehicle electrification as a path to meet more stringent emissions and fuel economy regulations.

Mazda stands to get the biggest CAFÉ-rating bang for its high-tech buck by picking the Mazda3 as its 1st car to receive the next-generation engine. The Mazda3 accounted for about 46% of the brand's 229,556 vehicles sold in the United States last year.

Mazda plans to roll out SkyActiv-G engines and diesel variants, called SkyActiv-D, to its entire lineup by 2015 as the brand races to meet tougher emissions and fuel economy regulations.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Fujiwara also said that the next-generation Mazda6, with a 2.2-liter Sky-D twin-turbo diesel engine, would achieve an estimated 43 mpg on the highway, compared with 30 mpg on the current, gasoline-powered Mazda6.
um...
Old 01-10-2011, 02:31 AM
I drive a Subata.

nice.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 AM
Race Director

Mazda plans to roll out SkyActiv-G engines and diesel variants, called SkyActiv-D, to its entire lineup by 2015 as the brand races to meet tougher emissions and fuel economy regulations.
Including the US? That would be news. I don't know that they have any bigger diesels for its SUVs.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Presuming all else being equal, HP/Tq, 33 to 40 is one hell of a jump.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Race Director

While DI does improve mileage, that is a big jump, especially hwy where I wouldn't have thought there's that much to gain. If you make a small car it better get 40MPG or you'll fall out of the race.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I think this is great news from Mazda. Considering that most of my friends who drive Mazda3's get same or worse mileage than my 02 TL-S, this improvement is a must.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:35 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
Presuming all else being equal, HP/Tq, 33 to 40 is one hell of a jump.
Well, a Jetta gasoline engine gets 24/34 mpg.

While the TDi version gets 30/42.

Sounds like the Mazda numbers might be in the ballpark...although a bit on the high side.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Sounds like the Mazda numbers might be in the ballpark...although a bit on the high side.
But unless I'm reading this incorrectly, they're talking about 2 gasoline versions?

Kiyoshi Fujiwara, Mazda's head of product planning and powertrain development, said at a briefing about the technology in August that a Mazda3 with a 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder Sky-G engine mated to a Sky-Drive 6-speed automatic would get an estimated 40 mpg on the highway compared to the 33 mpg on the current Mazda3.
I just presuming they're both ~2.0L and will both have similar power output.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ I read the diesel part which seems plausible.

If they are talking 2.0L gasoline engines......pass the pipe!!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

By the way, I couldn't get 34mpg on the highway with my I-5 if it was downhill with a 100mph tail wind and I was in neutral the whole time
Old 01-10-2011, 01:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by charliemike
By the way, I couldn't get 34mpg on the highway with my I-5 if it was downhill with a 100mph tail wind and I was in neutral the whole time
I can easily get 34 mpg hwy in my GTI.
Drive it like grandma...no boost.....60 mph...and the mpg is fantastic.

However, boost......and it's all out the window.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

^^ I read the diesel part which seems plausible.

If they are talking 2.0L gasoline engines......pass the pipe!!!!
I'm sure DI wasn't the only change. Since most compacts are/will be achieving 40MPG these days, I'm sure Mazda found a way as well.

Quick Reply: Mazda: Mazda3 News