Old 11-04-2003, 07:41 AM
Kabachitare!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lincoln: Navigator News

TWO MOVIE DEALS ANNOUNCED FOR LINCOLN NAVIGATOR

SUV to Be Featured in Films Aimed at Urban Market

November 03, 2003

By Jean Halliday and T.L. Stanley

DETROIT (AdAge.com) -- Ford Motor Co. is finalizing plans that will have the Lincoln Navigator sport utility vehicle featured in two 2004 movies aimed at the young urban market, the automaker said.

The two movies are Johnson Family Vacation, from Fox Searchlight Pictures, and Are We There Yet? from the film distributor Revolution Studios.

Ad details unknown
Details about the related ad budgets and co-marketing plans were not available. "These films take place in and around the vehicle," said Jan Valentic, vice president for global marketing at the automaker. She would only say Lincoln "will probably advertise the movies."

Mark Geller, who handles promotions at Fox Searchlight, said talks are ongoing with Ford about how to evolve the product placement. Topics include co-branded promotions, co-branded media, a tour with the SUV and a sweepstakes. Although the main demographic for Johnson Family Vacation is African American, Mr. Geller said Fox believes the movie will have a broader appeal.

In addition to Lincoln and Ford brands, the deal between Ford and Revolution also includes Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mazda, Mercury and Volvo. While having access to movie development, Ford will make its design and research centers available to Revolution Studios, making way for customized cars and film-specific vehicles.

Brand Entertainment Group
Both deals were handled by WPP Group's Brand Entertainment Group, Dearborn, Mich., formed earlier this year. The new shop teamed with Lincoln and its African-American shop, WPP's UniWorld, New York, Ms. Valentic said.

Brand Entertainment succeeds WPP's Showcase International, Burbank, Calif., which had Ford's placement account for at least a decade. Ms. Valentic said Showcase still manages Ford's vehicle fleet in Hollywood, although a Showcase spokeswoman said, "We are in the process of being closed down."

Sales are up
Lincoln said Navigator sales through September rose by nearly 24% to 27,065 units vs. a year ago. But Lincoln's ad support for the SUV slipped from $64 million last year to just $5 million in the first half of 2003, according to TNS Media Intelligence/CMR.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lincoln Navigator News **Chrome grille, in demand (page 4)**

Possible Navigator Spy Shots
Old 10-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

Interesting. It's definitely a Navigator; it's a Ford SUV for sure, and the chrome touches and grill screams Navigator. But the body's unchanged, with the new face, so it looks like a midcycle refresh; not an entirely new truck like Caddy's GMT900 Escalade. The next Navigator better be special, because from what I understand the Escalade is unbelievalbly awesome.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:51 AM
on to the next one...

Lincoln initially helped itself by beating Cadillac to market with a large SUV, but it's my opinion (Having the first Navigator and both Escalades in the family) that the first two generations of the Escalade were head and shoulders above the first two generations of the Navigator.

Unless some BIG changes are made in terms of styling and build quality for the Nav, I think this next gen Escalade will blow the next Navigator even further out of the water..
Old 12-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
this matches the original spy shots from vortex

Lincoln caught testing 2007 Navigator
By Ed Hellwig Email

Date posted: 12-08-2005

With Cadillac's 2007 Escalade on the way early next year, we weren't surprised to catch this prototype of the 2007 Lincoln Navigator undergoing testing at Ford's proving grounds in Michigan. From what we can see in these latest spy photos, the 2007 Navigator won't be a top-to-bottom redesign like the Escalade. Other than the front and rear fascias, this Navigator prototype appears identical to the current model in both its size and shape.

The Navigator's most dramatic difference on the outside looks to be its new front fascia that features a broad crosshatch grille in place of the current waterfall design. Complex headlight clusters with multiple lenses should add some flash to the otherwise traditional-looking face.

It's rare to get a clean interior shot of a prototype that isn't cluttered with wires and laptops, but our shot clearly shows a very different cabin than the current model. Larger slabs of wood cover the door panels while the chrome door pulls look to be larger and more substantial than the current levers. Squared-off gauge binnacles protrude from the instrument cluster adding a slight retro touch to the cabin while vertical strips of wood lie on either side of the center stack. The console shifter stays, the stereo cover is gone and the steering wheel gets a new, more squared-off four-spoke design.

Given that Cadillac stuck with a more traditional straight axle design for the new Escalade, expect Lincoln to continue to refine its fully independent suspension as a means of differentiation. We don't expect big changes under the hood either as the Navigator already gained a six-speed automatic last year. The biggest news will come in the way of a stretched version of the Navigator designed to compete with the Escalade ESV. It will debut about a year after the standard Navigator that goes on sale next fall.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108410
Old 12-09-2005, 09:38 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Id like to see the Navigator get up to Escalade quality/territory, will it happen? Im sure hoping so...the Escalade has too nice of a soft cushion of no competition...
Old 12-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by S A CHO
Id like to see the Navigator get up to Escalade quality/territory, will it happen? Im sure hoping so...the Escalade has too nice of a soft cushion of no competition...
The Navigator has great quality, IMO. It's a matter of what your tastes are. The Escalade has plenty of competiton (Range Rover,QX56,LX470,Navi). I think the Navi hasn't done so well with this generation because it was to close in style (exterior wise) to the first gen.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

Looks like the Navigator and Aviator will both be getting versions of the Aviator concept's grill... nice.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:35 AM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by titan
The Escalade has plenty of competiton (Range Rover,QX56,LX470,Navi).
"Which one of these things is not like the others?
One of these things just doesn't belong.
Can you tell me which thing is not like the other,
by the time I finish my song?"

Old 12-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Pro

The Navigator has great quality, IMO. It's a matter of what your tastes are. The Escalade has plenty of competiton (Range Rover,QX56,LX470,Navi). I think the Navi hasn't done so well with this generation because it was to close in style (exterior wise) to the first gen.
I agree, my dad chose a navigator over the escalade because 1) the escalade is played out 2) the interior in the navigator was nicer 3) he liked the stance of the navigator more. I agree with all the things he said.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bgsm1th

What's the answer? They're all in the same class and all are direct competitors.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
What's the answer? They're all in the same class and all are direct competitors.
Yeah I'm not getting it either.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:57 AM
Banned

We're getting funny in the Auto News section recently.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:39 AM
on to the next one...

Range Rover.

Range Rover competes with the likes of the X5, Cayenne and the Benz ML.
Navigator competes with the likes of the Escalade, QX56, LX470, etc...

While some people may shop both the Range Rover and the Navigator/Escalade, (thus making them competitors to some extent) they are not in the same class.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
We're getting funny in the Auto News section recently.

My bad, I'll be sure to keep a straight face from now on. :smitler:

Old 12-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

]

While some people may shop both the Range Rover and the Navigator/Escalade, (thus making them competitors to some extent) they are not in the same class.

Because you say so Have you seen the 07 Escalade? It definetly is in the same class as the Range Rover. Range Rovers are bastardized BMW(that's not a bad thing).
Old 12-13-2005, 11:08 AM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by Maximized
: Have you seen the 07 Escalade? It definetly is in the same class as the Range Rover. Range Rovers are bastardized BMW(that's not a bad thing).
Yes, I have seen the 07 Escalade, how is it more in the class of the Range Rover than the 04 or 05?

Just because Range Rover is making the X5 it's red-headed step-child, does not mean they aren't in the same class. Just because a vehicle is completely dominating it's counter-parts does not mean it all the sudden moves to a different class.

I guess if we are going to argue, we need to make the distinction between class and competition, because the differences are distinct.

Because you say so :rolleyes
And your word is the end of all argument?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes, I have seen the 07 Escalade, how is it more in the class of the Range Rover than the 04 or 05?

Just because Range Rover is making the X5 it's red-headed step-child, does not mean they aren't in the same class. Just because a vehicle is completely dominating it's counter-parts does not mean it all the sudden moves to a different class.

I guess if we are going to argue, we need to make the distinction between class and competition, because the differences are distinct.
Read up on the 07' Escalade first. Simply, the Escalade has moved upscale. The 07 Escalade is competition and in the same class as the Range Rover.

And your word is the end of all argument?
The profesionals disagree as well:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/land...ize/index.html
Old 12-13-2005, 11:46 AM
on to the next one...

Read up on the 07' Escalade first. Simply, the Escalade has moved upscale. The 07 Escalade is competition and in the same class as the Range Rover.

The profesionals disagree as well:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/land...ize/index.html

Funny you should quote Edmunds, because they view them in two different classes, Escalde = Large SUV - http://www.edmunds.com/new/type/suv/...ex.choose..0.*
Range Rover = Mid-Sized SUV - http://www.edmunds.com/new/type/suv/...ex.choose..0.*

Like I mentioned earlier....two different classes

Both are luxurious no doubt, Both are expensive (though the Range Rover is considerably more to the tune of $20K +/-)and they may compete for business, but they are two vehicles all-together. My Mother Drives an 04 Escalade, my Father an 04 RR. Aside from the fact they are both 4x4 SUV's there are few similarities.
I don't discount the fact that the 07 Escalade will be more luxurious than the last gen, but the fact remains that it is a Large SUV while the RR remains a mid-sized SUV. Again, the distinction between class and competition is important.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Funny you should quote Edmunds, because they view them in two different classes, Escalde = Large SUV - http://www.edmunds.com/new/type/suv/...ex.choose..0.*
Range Rover = Mid-Sized SUV - http://www.edmunds.com/new/type/suv/...ex.choose..0.*

Like I mentioned earlier....two different classes

Both are luxurious no doubt, Both are expensive (though the Range Rover is considerably more to the tune of $20K +/-)and they may compete for business, but they are two vehicles all-together. My Mother Drives an 04 Escalade, my Father an 04 RR. Aside from the fact they are both 4x4 SUV's there are few similarities.
I don't discount the fact that the 07 Escalade will be more luxurious than the last gen, but the fact remains that it is a Large SUV while the RR remains a mid-sized SUV. Again, the distinction between class and competition is important.
They are in the same class: Luxury SUV.

I don't think you want to go there with the size issue. I can really show you some example of of some high end cars vs. economy cars using that distinction.
Take a quick look:http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byEPAclass.htm

Using your logic, the Chevy Impala is in the same class as the 750iL. They are large cars, aren't they????

Last edited by Maximized; 12-13-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:10 PM
on to the next one...

They are in the same class: Luxury SUV.

I don't think you want to go there with the size issue. I can really show you some example of of some high end cars vs. economy cars using that distinction.
Take a quick look:http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass.htm

Using your logic, the Chevy Impala is in the same class as the 750iL. They are large cars, aren't they????
While I agree that the luxury status of a vehicle is an important distinction when assigning it to a class, I don't believe it's the ONLY characteristic to consider. If that were the case there would be two kinds of SUV's - Luxury and non-luxury. Thus placing the Excursion in the same class as the Escape. I think you'd agree placing them in the same class is rediculous.

Clearly, both are close in the level of Luxury, this we agree on (though I still give the edge to the RR). But one is luxurious and Large, while the other is Luxurious and mid-sized.

Hopefully this helps to illistrate my original point:

Escalade - Large Luxury SUV
Navigator - Large Luxury SUV
Range Rover - Mid-Sized Luxury SUV
QX56 - Large Luxury SUV
LX47 - Large Luxury SUV

While all are luxurious and may compete on some level, one just doesn't quite fit in...
Old 12-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

While I agree that the luxury status of a vehicle is an important distinction when assigning it to a class, I don't believe it's the ONLY characteristic to consider. If that were the case there would be two kinds of SUV's - Luxury and non-luxury. Thus placing the Excursion in the same class as the Escape. I think you'd agree placing them in the same class is rediculous.

Clearly, both are close in the level of Luxury, this we agree on (though I still give the edge to the RR). But one is luxurious and Large, while the other is Luxurious and mid-sized.

Hopefully this helps to illistrate my original point:

Escalade - Large Luxury SUV
Navigator - Large Luxury SUV
Range Rover - Mid-Sized Luxury SUV
QX56 - Large Luxury SUV
LX47 - Large Luxury SUV

While all are luxurious and may compete on some level, one just doesn't quite fit in...
I personally would classify the Land Rover Discvoery more mid-sized. While the Range Rove isn't huge, I would say it fits in with the Large SUV crowd.

The EPA does lump all SUVs into one class though.

Range Rover even says "Luxury SUV" in plain writing on their website.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:30 PM
on to the next one...

I personally would classify the Land Rover Discvoery more mid-sized. While the Range Rove isn't huge, I would say it fits in with the Large SUV crowd.

The EPA does lump all SUVs into one class though.

Range Rover even says "Luxury SUV" in plain writing on their website.
Which is interesting because the Land Rover offers a third row of seats while the Range Rover does not, correct?

In any case, I just figured that since you were using Edmunds to make your distinctions, I would do the same. And Edmunds is clear in the mid-size and large distinction.

I am simply taking your definition of "class", agreeing with you, but defining it even further, that is all.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Safety Car

What I like the least about the new Escalade and now this Navigator is that they are supposed to be all new models but the exteriors don't look like they've changed for the most part other than a new front end. It appears like they are sitting on their hands in the last segment that will allow them to do that.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Which is interesting because the Land Rover offers a third row of seats while the Range Rover does not, correct?

In any case, I just figured that since you were using Edmunds to make your distinctions, I would do the same. And Edmunds is clear in the mid-size and large distinction.

I am simply taking your definition of "class", agreeing with you, but defining it even further, that is all.
The LR3 has optional 3rd row seating and the RR doens't. The Range Rover is almost a half foot longer though. The rear seat in the Escalade is practically useless and very uncomfortable. I've had to sit back there a couple of times and im 6'2". Not fun.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2007 Lincoln Navigator

DEARBORN, Mich. — Lincoln takes the wraps off its redesigned Lincoln Navigator SUV at the Chicago auto show on Wednesday, showing off a new look and a "Navigator L" model that is 14.7 inches longer than the regular version and gives buyers an additional 25 cubic feet of cargo volume behind the third-row seat.

The '07 Lincoln has a more in-your-face chrome grille, a "powerdome" hood, optional 20-inch chrome wheels, new wing-shaped taillamps, and new body-side trim integrated into the lower cladding. In the cabin, Lincoln says second-row seats now feature a one-hand fold-and-tumble operation for access to the third row.

Major chassis enhancements include larger brakes, a stiffer frame, and an all-new independent rear suspension. The powertrain, a 5.4-liter V8 mated to a standard six-speed automatic transmission that generates 300 horsepower and 365 pound-feet of torque, is carried over from the previous model.

What this means to you: If you're after a big ride and more bling, you're going to get it with the redesigned Lincoln Navigator.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=109221#2
Old 02-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Banned

Nice ... interior.

MKN !!!!!! Name change!!!!!!!!! I called it first!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm... I like it but from pics, I think I like the Caddy better.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
i hate those retro gauges in all the new lincolns... reminds me of my grandfathers granada

--- i dont like the redesign at all.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It'll have to grow on me, but I am sure it will...
Old 02-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Banned

No name change? Drat. Me being wrong.
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...602080364/1148

What Ford will not do is drop the Navigator name in favor of the new alphabetic naming scheme it has adopted for the rest of its new Lincolns.

"We feel that the Navigator name has a great deal of brand equity," Ford spokeswoman Sara Tatchio said.

"It would have been suicidal to change that name," said Jim Hall with AutoPacific in Southfield. "The last thing you want to do is take a segment-defining vehicle and change its name."
Old 02-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by Beltfed
2007 Lincoln Navigator

Wow!!!! That's an ugly grille!!! And there are two of those ugly thing.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Safety Car

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...coln-navigator

These new Lincoln interiors lack what they need to get back on top.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Navigator gets bigger for '07 - - Greg Migliore - - Source: Automotive News

The Lincoln Navigator is getting bigger.

Lincoln will offer an extended version of its luxury SUV called the Navigator L that is 14.7 inches longer than the regular model. It also has 25 more cubic feet behind the third row and 12 inches has been added to the wheelbase.

The 2007 Navigator is expected to arrive in showrooms this fall. It features a stiffer frame and independent suspension. It has seating for 8.

The Navigator is powered by a 5.4-liter, V-8 engine rated at 300 horsepower. It's mated with a 6-speed automatic overdrive transmission.

The exterior is marked by a lengthy hood, fronted by a chrome grill that extends to the headlights. The SUV comes with 18- or 20-inch chrome wheels.

The Navigator's standard safety features include dual-stage front airbags and a rollover detection system with side curtain airbags.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:27 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interior looks very nice
Old 02-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's gonna REALLY have to grow on me but I prefer the current Navigator. My friend has one and it drives like a dream... but it's still a Ford.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Safety Car

I'll start with the exterior... atleast it's different. It's bold, and in your face. However, my first impressions of it were the SAME as the last gen's Escalades; it's so out there it's almost gaudy. With the new Escalade, it's still big and imposing. The Caddy now has a much more refined, and upscale look. The attention that was paid to the Caddy's grill is awesome, IMO. The interior is a much closer race. Whether you like it or not, Lincoln's common new interior theme is unique, upscale, and uses genuine matterials. I love the Caddy's interior too, so I'm reserving final judgement on that for when I see them both person. The Caddy does have an edge on the Lincoln in general "fabulousness," offering 22'' wheels (I still that's just unbelievable), while the Navi will offer 20's. The other area where Caddy totally dominates ALL competition is in the powertrain area. With 400 plus HP on tap it murders the old 5.4L from Ford, and all others. That said, this is a good effort from Lincoln.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sclass88

It's gonna REALLY have to grow on me but I prefer the current Navigator. My friend has one and it drives like a dream... but it's still a Ford.

WOW... it drives like a dream, right. But it's "still a Ford..." WTF is wrong with Ford having great product?
Old 02-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
The interior is a step backward, IMO. I think the front is a little reminescent of the Infiniti Q56, but the headlight clusters are nicer than the Q's. I think the bumper could do without that extra grille down there.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:27 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
wow that is HORRIBLE. did they just rip the interior off the zephyr and put it in there? same with the tail lights. and the grill...

Quick Reply: Lincoln: Navigator News