Lincoln: MKZ/Zephyr News

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
The pricing basically says, come and buy this or we're dead soon.
I disagree. It's obvious that they want to get in this market as a value alternative, and from there they want to build up a following and street cred. The price is just indicative of how serious they are about being taken seriously. I don't think it's a desperation move. At that price, I think many consumers will think it's worth a hard look and atleast a test drive. I think they're main target is the ES; then the A4 and the TL to a lesser degree.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
what I don't get is why are they so far behind the game? Weak engine output compared to other luxury cars with similar engines... or even smaller ones?

and exactly what does available "insert option here" mean? Is it standard or do you have to pay extra for it?

For that price it better be loaded with a lot of goodies. what is the point of a luxury car with no luxuries?

Acura got it right when the offered the CL in terms of what you got for the price (only 1 option available for each trim)
Old 09-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
$715 destination is the highest I've ever seen for a mass produced vehicle. And it's built in NA? Jeezus.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
I disagree. It's obvious that they want to get in this market as a value alternative, and from there they want to build up a following and street cred. The price is just indicative of how serious they are about being taken seriously. I don't think it's a desperation move. At that price, I think many consumers will think it's worth a hard look and atleast a test drive. I think they're main target is the ES; then the A4 and the TL to a lesser degree.
I hope you're right. To my eyes, Ford is in real nasty trouble at the moment.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
what I don't get is why are they so far behind the game? Weak engine output compared to other luxury cars with similar engines... or even smaller ones?
For the same reasons they are doing badly as a company.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gavriil
I hope you're right. To my eyes, Ford is in real nasty trouble at the moment.
I agree with that 100%. I just don't think that was the primary motivation behind the price of the MKZ...
Old 08-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Full Test: 2009 Lincoln MKS AWD

Lincoln Concedes to Cadillac, and Just About Everyone Else
By Ed Hellwig, Lead Senior Editor
Date posted: 08-27-2008

Lincoln versus Cadillac. It's one of the oldest rivalries in the car business and it's all but dead. The 2009 Lincoln MKS proves it.

Sure, the MKS is about the same price as a Cadillac CTS, but, well, that's where the similarities end. The CTS can legitimately claim various BMWs as rivals. The MKS? It's a luxury sedan and never a sport sedan, not even a little bit.

Which is fine. Dull can be good. Dull can work. Lexus has been doing dull for years. In fact, the Lexus ES 350, a close competitor to the MKS, is the brand's best-selling model.

So in an odd historical turn, the MKS could be thought of as Lincoln's attempt to build a better Lexus, except that it's no Lexus. It's no Acura TL either, or even a Hyundai Genesis.

No, the Lincoln MKS is just a little bit better than the Mercury Sable, which is a little bit better than the Ford Taurus. And never as good as a Cadillac.

Too Much Metal
The issues of the 2009 Lincoln MKS have little to do with the fact that it's still primarily a kind of front-wheel-drive sedan (despite this particular model's all-wheel-drive hardware). Cadillac might have made the switch to rear-wheel drive a long time ago, but the Lexus ES 350 that sells so well is also front-wheel drive, as is the recently redesigned 2009 Acura TL.

With the MKS, the real issue is too much weight. Our loaded test car with the optional all-wheel-drive system dented the scales at 4,349 pounds. To put this into perspective, the Lexus ES 350 could have a driver and three average-size adult passengers on board and still weigh less than an empty MKS. Even the all-wheel-drive Acura TL, no lightweight itself, is 363 pounds lighter than this Lincoln.

So much sheet metal is no excuse for limited agility, though. There are plenty of big, overstuffed luxury sedans that mask their weight with well-tuned suspensions. The MKS is not one of them. No, this car feels like a classic Lincoln, softly sprung and under-damped — perfect for smooth, straight highways and not much else. Sure, it'll soak up stray bumps, but hit a few in succession and the MKS feels wobbly and crude. Introduce a corner into the mix and it only gets worse.

With that in mind, the MKS's modest speed through our slalom test proved no surprise. At 60.8 mph, it was on par with the Lexus ES 350 and slightly slower than the Hyundai Genesis V6. The big 19-inch wheels and 255/45R19 tires that come standard on the all-wheel-drive MKS help, but there is still plenty of body roll and, more important, a general unease with changing direction quickly.

Since the all-wheel-drive system distributes the power between the front and rear wheels, there's very little tugging at the steering wheel under full power. Then again, there's rarely ever any feedback through the steering wheel. It's limp at highway speeds and yet strangely firm when you're lining up a parking space.

A Drivetrain Under Strain
So the 2009 Lincoln MKS is not much of a handler; no news there, really. But the story doesn't get any better when it comes to acceleration and braking. Again, moving all that weight around isn't easy.

The standard 3.7-liter V6 is essentially a larger version of the 3.5-liter engine used in the Ford Taurus, with which the MKS shares its platform. This V6 is capable of generating 275 horsepower and 276 pound-feet of torque when burning premium fuel, although these numbers drop to 273 hp and 270 lb-ft on regular gas.

With a tank full of premium, our MKS went from zero to 60 mph in 7.5 seconds (7.2 seconds with a 1-foot rollout like on a drag strip), a respectable time that's about a half-second slower than the Lexus ES 350. The Hyundai Genesis V6 and Cadillac CTS go from zero to 60 mph in 6.3 seconds.

Those disappointing acceleration numbers are matched by the sound of an engine that's running harder than it wants to. For a modern DOHC V6, this engine sounds strained at high rpm, which of course it is.

Deceleration Curve
Getting the MKS back down from speed is another issue. The brake pedal is soft and has a long range of travel, and together these things make the task of getting this 4,349-pound car stopped on its Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires feel even less effective. At the track, it takes 130 feet to stop from 60 mph, an average performance. A Hyundai Genesis V6 will do the task in 117 feet.

The six-speed automatic transmission is the one notable bright spot in the drivetrain. Its programming is spot-on, delivering quick, sharp shifts right when you expect them. Sure, it will hesitate a little when the gas pedal is slapped down abruptly, but there are few automatics these days that don't. There's a manual shift gate, too, and it's properly oriented so you get downshifts when you push it forward and upshifts when you pull it back, not that you would think it appropriate to do so in this Lincoln luxury car.

Room to Spare
A world-class sport sedan the MKS is not. It does, however, provide a long list of features designed to make it as comfortable and luxurious as possible when pointed straight ahead.

Chief among them is a spacious interior. This is not really a feature in the typical sense, but worth noting given the overall size of the MKS's cabin. Compared to the Lexus ES 350 and Cadillac CTS, the 2009 Lincoln MKS is larger in nearly every interior dimension. That extra inch or two makes a difference, too, as the MKS swallows four adults quite comfortably.

The seats themselves are wide, flat and covered in top-quality leather. There are heaters at all four seating positions and cooled seats for the driver and front passenger. On a long trip you would ask for nothing more than a little extra toe room in back.

There's an extra-large trunk with 18.4 cubic feet of capacity as well, but the narrow opening, high liftover and two-tiered floor make it hard to use all the space.

Who Needs iDrive?
Lincoln is quite proud of all the audio and communications technology offered in the MKS. With a voice-activated navigation system, THX-certified audio system and Sync connectivity, all the good stuff is on the options list, not to mention rain-sensing wipers, proximity parking sensors and push-button ignition.

Other than Sync, none of this is really unique, but Lincoln deserves credit for offering so much technology without destroying the continuity of the interior. There's no central control knob, no pop-up anything: just simple controls that you can use at a glance. The navigation screen is especially bright and clear, rivaling anything available from Europe or Japan.

It would be all the more impressive if the rest of the interior were up to the same standard. But while none of the materials are particularly cheap-looking, they're not going to put Audi to shame, either. The gauges are particularly bland and most of the switchgear is just average. Build quality is generally good, although the handle on the door creaked every time we pulled it shut (not the best way to start each drive, we're sure you will agree).

Big Bottom Line
None of the Lincoln's shortcomings would be so glaring if it undercut its competitors on price. That's hardly the case, though, as the 2009 Lincoln MKS starts at $37,665 for the front-wheel-drive model and $39,555 for the all-wheel-drive model. Our test car with the Ultimate package topped out at $46,070.

A loaded Lexus ES 350 tops out around $44K and it handles better, has a more elegant interior and is a far more prestigious nameplate. The new Acura TL, which has been stretched to roughly match the size of the MKS, is expected to top out at $42K with all-wheel drive, a 305-hp V6 and a similar list of features. Then there's the new Hyundai Genesis V6. It matches the MKS for interior room, pummels the Lincoln in every performance category and would only run you $40K fully loaded.

Then again, if you must buy American, there's the Cadillac CTS. It'll cost you about the same as the 2009 Lincoln MKS, but it drives better in every way and has a distinctive style inside and out that's memorable if not always pretty.

If Lincoln wants to keep the rivalry going with Cadillac, it's going to have to try harder than the MKS.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..2.*
Old 08-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

MKS should be a separate thread no?

That review was really, really harsh (deservedly? I dunno.). If the car is as bad as the review states Ford is in deep shit. They can't afford to have to totally redo the car in a year or two.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:08 AM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn. I think I saw one on the road the other day.. that front end is sex.. too bad its a fucking 2 ton porker..
Old 08-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by charliemike
MKS should be a separate thread no?
i was debating internally about that. reading the review, i thought it was just a refresh, but with a rebadge too?

no issues here with moving it to a seperate thread, moderators.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
i was debating internally about that. reading the review, i thought it was just a refresh, but with a rebadge too?

no issues here with moving it to a seperate thread, moderators.
The MKS is a totally separate car from the MKZ.

The MKZ is a *stifles laughter* 3-series competitor and the MKS is more of a 5-series size ...
Old 08-28-2008, 12:40 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the MKZ is a tarted up Fusion.

the MKS is the size of a caddy STS
Old 08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I haven't seen Edmunds post such a poor review in a long time.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,648 Likes on 13,889 Posts
Post 2010 Lincoln MKZ

Old 12-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

-- Expected Lincoln comfort, quality and driving experience paid forward in the 2010 Lincoln MKZ with updated design, new features and plusher interior
-- New Sport Appearance Package with sport-tuned suspension shifts driving experience to the next level, especially with optional all-wheel drive. Six-speed SelectShift automatic transmission is standard. Powertrain performance is improved dramatically, with 0-60 mph times dropping from 7.7 to 7.1 seconds
-- 2010 MKZ joins new MKS and will be followed by MKT full-size luxury crossover next summer, further building on Lincoln’s successful portfolio

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 19, 2008 – Customers who have come to equate Lincoln with elegant, modern design, unparalleled comfort, unrivaled features and top quality have still more reason to favor the brand: the new 2010 Lincoln MKZ mid-size sedan.

“The new MKZ improves on the success of the current vehicle with Lincoln’s new signature look, appointments that amplify and expand the Lincoln portfolio and a faster, more refined powertrain,” said Mark Fields, Ford’s president of The Americas.

New for 2010, the MKZ features a new sport version with special sport suspension tuning with stiffer springs and larger stabilizer bars, 18-inch Euroflange polished wheels, darkened grille and headlamps, and an interior with contrasting piping and unique appliqués.

The new Lincoln MKZ also offers segment-exclusive features, including first-in-class Blind Spot Information System (BLIS™) with Cross Traffic Alert (CTA), which makes navigating traffic and parking lots safer and easier.

BLIS tracks vehicles in the blind-spot zones on either side of the vehicle using two multiple-beam radar modules behind the rear fenders. Indicator lights in the outside rear-view mirror on both sides of the vehicle warn the driver when a vehicle enters the defined blind-spot zone, extending from the side mirror to 10 feet behind the vehicle and 10 feet away from the vehicle.

CTA uses the BLIS radar sensors to alert the driver of approaching traffic while in reverse and backing out of a parking spot. The CTA tracks up to 65 feet on either side of the vehicle and warns the driver through both audible and visual alerts.

In addition to this new technology for mid-size sedans, MKZ offers SYNC, Next-Generation Voice-Activated Navigation, keyless entry, EasyFuel capless fuel filler, THX-branded audio and adaptive HID headlamps.

The new MKZ also features Lincoln signature design elements, including the split-wing grille and thinner wraparound head lamps for a wider, sportier look. Its chamfered front fascia also shares a family resemblance with the MKS, with a sculpted hood and ridges flowing into the A-pillar. In the rear, the Lincoln MKZ features a new decklid with wider LED taillamps accentuating the width of the car and separated by the Lincoln star.

The Lincoln MKZ’s presence is enhanced by 17-inch aluminum wheels, available 17-inch chrome wheels, and available 18-inch polished aluminum wheels, which are included in the Sport Appearance Package with sport-tuned suspension.

Inside, MKZ’s cabin reflects an even more upscale look featuring genuine aluminum and wood depending on the trim package, an all-new instrument panel, detailed touches including new welcome lighting, chimes, tuxedo stitching on luxury leather seats and Bridge of Weir leather.

The world-renowned luxury leather from Scotland, pioneered on the classic Lincoln Continental Mark II and used on the MKS, wraps the MKZ seats. The MKZ leather is unembossed, allowing the natural beauty and character of the grain to shine through.

The leather is milled for up to 12 hours to ensure a buttery soft hand, and Bridge of Weir uses a chromium-free tanning process, which makes it easier to recycle.

“We’ve increased the luxury feel and improved on what was already a great interior,” said Peter Horbury, executive director of Design, The Americas. “We have a new interior theme with all-new primary touchpoints, complemented by new features and technologies that make the 2010 Lincoln MKZ stand out in the competitive mid-size segment.”

Additions or improvements to the 2010 Lincoln MKZ interior include:

-- Armrest clamshell storage
-- New daytime lit and 3-dimensional instrument cluster layout with center speedometer
-- New door trim with 360-degree door handles
-- Redesigned center stack with high-mounted, Next-Generation Navigation system
-- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with real wood insert
-- Interior schemes include Dark Charcoal or Steel Gray with Swirl Walnut accents, or Light Camel with Olive Ash wood accents
Old 12-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Safety Car

Looks good. The MKS treatment translates well to the smaller MKZ.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Safety Car

Here are real world pics.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Safety Car

Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Safety Car

Old 12-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Meh.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:37 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Would've looked good back in 2002
Old 12-04-2008, 10:15 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

the MKS is a great looking car. this one, not so much.

the front is too much, and i'm not feeling the tail lights that extend so deep towards the center.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interior =
Old 12-04-2008, 10:46 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
that plastic looks cheap even in these photos.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Meh. The front is nicer but that back end is a mess. Also looks like an interior out of a car from the early 80's.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
That center console
Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It's amazing that Ford continues to use the same HVAC controls on every car/truck/SUV they've made in the last 10 years. I knew what the buttons would look like even before I scrolled to the interior pics.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
When are they gonna get rid of that ridiculous granny-style steering wheel??
Old 12-04-2008, 11:18 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
everything but those center is really nice to me...and they need to get better guages too
Old 12-05-2008, 02:44 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
It's amazing that Ford continues to use the same HVAC controls on every car/truck/SUV they've made in the last 10 years. I knew what the buttons would look like even before I scrolled to the interior pics.
...and pretty soon they'll look like the ones GM/Chry uses too....
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow Hybrid

* Key Competitors: Buick LaCrosse, Lexus ES350, Infiniti G37 sedan… doesn’t really matter because they don’t offer hybrid versions.
* Power: 156-hp 2.5L 4-cylinder combined to electric-motor; net output equals 191-hp/136 lb-ft.
* Transmission: Electronic Continuously Variable Transmission (eCVT).
* Performance: 0-60 mph in around 9 seconds.
* Availability: Late 2010.
* Pricing: TBA.
FoMoCo is all about comparing the new Lincoln MKZ Hybrid to the Lexus HS 25oh. Here are just a couple of things Ford made sure to point out that are better in the MKZ Hybrid when compared to the Lexus HS 250h:
* Lincoln MKZ Hybrid’s projected fuel economy tops its nearest competitor – the 2010 Lexus HS 250h – by 6 mpg.
* Lincoln MKZ Hybrid can cruise up to 47 mph in pure electric mode – Lexus HS 250h battery-only mode allows just 25 mph.
* Lincoln MKZ Hybrid comes standard with features and technologies that are either not offered on the Lexus HS 250h or are available only at an extra cost.
* Lexus HS 250h prices start at $34,650 – Lincoln MKZ Hybrid starts at… well, we’ll have to wait and see if the the MKZ Hybrid wins here as well.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Old 05-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

•New 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid expected to be most fuel-efficient luxury sedan in America
•Lincoln MKZ Hybrid takes SmartGauge™ with EcoGuide to next level, offering drivers enhanced positive feedback on long-term fuel efficiency and driving performance
•More standard luxury, technologies and segment-exclusive safety features in the new Lincoln MKZ

Hybrid help it top its nearest competitor, the 2010 Lexus HS 250h

Lincoln today introduces its first hybrid – the new 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid – a premium midsize car poised to be the most fuel-efficient luxury sedan in America.

Ford Motor Company – America's largest domestic hybrid seller – is further broadening its aggressive electrification plan and second generation of hybrid technology with the new Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. The vehicle is revealed today at the New York International Auto Show.

"Lincoln's hallmarks are design, technology and comfort. Now, Lincoln also delivers the best fuel efficiency of any luxury sedan in America," said Mark Fields, Ford's president of The Americas.

Lincoln's first-ever hybrid is expected to deliver at least 41 miles per gallon in the city when it goes on sale this fall.

The new premium midsize sedan hybrid joins Ford Motor Company's growing lineup of hybrids, including the Ford Fusion Hybrid – 2010 North American Car of the Year and America's most fuel-efficient sedan – plus the Ford Escape Hybrid and Mercury Milan and Mariner Hybrids.

Introduction of the new Lincoln MKZ Hybrid also complements Ford's aggressive global electrification plan. Ford is introducing five new electrified vehicles by 2013. They include the Transit Connect Electric in late 2010, the Focus Electric in 2011, a next-generation hybrid electric vehicle and a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) in 2012, followed by another next-generation hybrid electric vehicle in 2013.

The Lincoln MKZ Hybrid's projected fuel economy tops its nearest competitor – the 2010 Lexus HS 250h – by 6 mpg. It also trumps the Lexus with room for one more passenger and more standard luxury and segment-exclusive safety features.

"Today's luxury customers do not want to make sacrifices. Lincoln has found a way to deliver a luxury sedan with the comforts they expect, the technology they want and the environmental responsibility society demands," said Derrick Kuzak, Ford's group vice president, Global Product Development.

The 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid uses Ford's second-generation hybrid technology – the 2.5-liter Atkinson-cycle I-4 hybrid engine, named one of Ward's 2010 "10 Best Engines."

The system combines the best attributes of the gasoline engine and electric battery-driven motors to deliver optimal performance and fuel economy.

Industry-leading fuel economy comes without sacrificing power. The combined gasoline engine and electric motor provide 191 net horsepower. Plus, the pure electric mode on the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid extends to 47 mph – compared with the Lexus HS 250h battery-only mode, which reaches just 25 mph.

More standard luxury

The 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid comes standard with features and technologies that are either not offered on the Lexus HS 250h or are available only at an extra cost. They include:

•SmartGauge with EcoGuide – Ford's highly successful interactive technology provides real-time information to help drivers maximize fuel efficiency, and coaches drivers on how to optimize hybrid performance. Lincoln takes SmartGauge to the next level of engagement by giving drivers enhanced positive feedback on long-term fuel efficiency and driving performance through the "growth" of virtual small flowers on the system's right-most screen. Lincoln's white flowers, inspired by apple blossoms, remain permanently unless long-term fuel economy is reset.
•Lincoln SYNC® – The Lincoln-exclusive voice-activated communications and entertainment system provides an omnipresent link to contacts and information. In addition to Bluetooth® phone, audible text and MP3 player capabilities, Lincoln customers also can access Vehicle Health Report and 911 Assist™.
•10-Way Power Passenger Seat – This seat is designed to accommodate a diverse group of passengers. Memory functions enable passengers to fine-tune and recall their positions.
•Power Driver Memory Seat Settings – The driver seat memory feature helps ensure personal seating preferences anytime, with the touch of a button.
•Heated and Cooled Front Seats – This uniquely engineered system delivers exceptional heating and cooling comfort.
•Genuine Wood Trim – In addition to their exquisite appearance, the Swirl Walnut and Olive Ash wood trims offered in the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid are eco-friendly as well. The veneers come from well-managed forests, as defined by strict environmental, social and economic standards, and from other rigorously controlled sources.
•Reverse Sensing System – This system senses what drivers might not see behind them and relays an audible alert if objects are near, which increases in frequency the closer a driver gets.
•Keyless Entry Keypad – This Lincoln-exclusive feature provides secure entry at a driver's fingertips. A personal combination holds a memory for driver preferences. So if an owner is out for a run and doesn't want to take the keys along, the vehicle can be opened with the touch of a few buttons.
•Easy Fuel® Capless Fuel-Filler – This Lincoln-exclusive feature uses an integrated spring-loaded flapper door to eliminate the need for a fuel tank screw cap. That means no more fumbling to remove and tighten the cap and less fuel odor on a driver's hands at the pump.
•Personal Safety System™ – A Lincoln-exclusive suite of seven protection technologies works together as a system to help protect vehicle occupants. The system includes dual-stage front air bags and an occupant classification system to sense whether the passenger seat is occupied. It tailors – or suppresses – air bag deployment to help provide an appropriate level of protection. It also features the Ford Belt-Minder® system to remind front-seat occupants to buckle up.
•MyKey™ – This Lincoln-exclusive feature allows parents to program a key to limit speed and audio volume to encourage teens to drive safer and improve fuel efficiency. It also encourages seat belt usage, provides earlier low-fuel warnings, and can be programmed to sound chimes at 45, 55 and 65 mph.
•Integrated Spotter Mirrors – The traditional side-view mirrors are designed with a secondary convex spotter mirror in the top outer corner, which provides a view of the driver's blind spot. When traffic enters the driver's blind spot on either side of the vehicle, it is visible in the secondary convex mirror, alerting the driver of obstacles.
•Acoustic Laminated Windshield – This windshield features a layer of sound-absorbent vinyl sandwiched between two sheets of glass, which enhances interior quietness.

The Lincoln MKZ Hybrid also includes standard Bridge of Weir leather seats. The world-renowned luxury leather from Scotland is unembossed, allowing the natural beauty and character of the grain to shine through. The leather is milled for up to 12 hours to ensure a soft hand, and Bridge of Weir uses a chromium-free tanning process, which makes it easier to recycle.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

I'd buy it over that Lexus HS heap they're trying to sell, but I wouldn't buy a luxury hybrid anyway. Well, I guess I would if it was a performance hybrid like the GS is.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:23 PM
how handsome I am

I like the idea of a hybrid in this car, but I hate that this car is still pretty ugly. Ill be more interested come the next gen when this car gets the sex treatment.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Safety Car

Exclamation Now w/ Apple Blossoms

When the 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid goes on sale this fall, it will have an updated version of the SmartGauge that debuted last year on the Ford Fusion Hybrid. The basics of the SmartGauge remain the same, with a pair of 4.3-inch LCD displays flanking a central speedometer. The LCDs can display several layers of information to help coach the driver to be a more efficient motorist.

The most obvious change is the color palette for the LCD gauges. They have been changed from a predominantly blue color scheme to what Lincoln officials describes as a more upscale-looking green and gold. The leaves on the right of the display have been present since the introduction of system on the Fusion and provide a graphical representation of the driver's short-term average fuel economy. The more thrifty your driving style, the more leaves you get. Behave like a lead-foot and they dissolve.

The SmartGauge in the 2011 MKZ Hybrid will also add some new flora to the mix in the form of a long-term fuel efficiency indicator. The indicator takes the form of apple blossom flowers (the state flower of Michigan) that appear amidst your tangle of digital leafs. If your average fuel economy is sufficient (Ford won't say what number you actually need), the first flowers will begin to appear after 4-6 weeks of driving. They first appear as buds and then grow into small and finally large flowers. More flowers appear over time, but the more you get, the more time it will take to earn more. If you earn all of the flowers, then you'll have saved about $8,000 in fuel costs and 30 tons of CO2 over the life of the car.

Aside from adding a whole new element to the game of achieving high MPG that we all play when behind the wheel of a hybrid, Ford's new long-term flower indicator also may serve a second, more practical purpose. If you decide to sell your MKZ Hybrid a few years down the road, a full bouquet of flowers in the SmartGauge proves you were a slow, careful driver and may fetch you a higher price on the used car market.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Race Director

Can I have a cherry on top too?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Safety Car

Talking 41 mpg

While Lincoln's MKZ Hybrid may not peg all the gauges when it comes to luxury and styling, it does max out the mpg needle, hitting 41 mpg city/36 mpg highway in EPA testing, making it the most efficient luxury sedan in the U.S. If those numbers sound familiar, they are: that's exactly the same rating as the 2011 MKZ Hybrid's platform mate, the Ford Fusion Hybrid.

Also like the Fusion, the MKZ gets the corporate SmartGauge treatment, which coaches drivers to drive more efficiently, rewarding good right-foot behavior with leaves and apple blossoms on the LCD instrument panel. Ford says the MKZ Hybrid's combo of hybrid tech and eco-driving aids could reduce fuel usage by up to 200 gallons per year, also slashing two tons of CO2 emissions in the process. Big numbers, but it's worth noting that's still only $50 per month more in your pocket at $3 per gallon.

But unlike the Fusion, the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid gets to take down a very attractive target: Lexus. The Lexus HS 250h, that is. Lincoln is chest-pounding over the EPA rating, noting that it's 6 mpg better than Lexus' entry-level hybrid luxury sedan, and also claiming better standard luxury features with leather and real wood inside every cabin. The HS 250h may be low-hanging fruit, but it's remarkable that Lincoln can make the comparison favorably, and it shows the strength of Ford's hybrid system--a strength we noted in our review of the 2010 model last year.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

The city number is great by the highway is really....not. That's only 2 mpg better than a new 274 hp Sonata, which also has more room it should be said.

Apples to oranges, but still. I'm interested in the Sonata Hybrid. My wife really likes them.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2011 Revealed

Quick Reply: Lincoln: MKZ/Zephyr News