Lincoln: MKZ/Zephyr News

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd say this is priced about $3K more than it should. If a 250HP engine and a 6 speed auto tranny showed up, then this price is justified. Currently, the car is not ready for 30-35K pricing. Who's gonna buy this over the TL for example?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think its a very youthful looking car. Why would a younger buyer go for a 200hp lincoln for 30k when they can have a 200hp Lexus IS.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
I'd say this is priced about $3K more than it should. If a 250HP engine and a 6 speed auto tranny showed up, then this price is justified. Currently, the car is not ready for 30-35K pricing. Who's gonna buy this over the TL for example?
Old 06-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Masshole

Another Lincoln flop. This is not going to attract a younger crowd.

Is this a reskinned Ford 500?.... maybe they should have called it a Lincoln Heifer...
Old 06-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Banned

may be 3k overpriced... but who knows how much they would sell them for. many american cars come close to 5k under the sticker. look at the GTO, Jeeps, or any american minivan. did you know that a Chrysler Minivan can push a 35k sticker? do ppl pay that? hell no.

although i dont know if they are going to have a price drop for a new, stage-setting car such as this one
Old 06-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EdgarFanCLS
Another Lincoln flop. This is not going to attract a younger crowd.

Is this a reskinned Ford 500?.... maybe they should have called it a Lincoln Heifer...
It's off of the new Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

I agree. I think it's overpriced, but not by $3K. I don't see the 3.5L commanding that much over the 3L when it's introduced, and thats where a significant bump will be in price. I'm assuming the 3L will stick around as a "base" engine, similar to the CTS's 2.8L, but ofcourse the 3.5L will be the meat of the Zephyrs sold. That said, Lincoln is really shooting itself in the foot by not making a loaded version of this car r $1000 less than a TL (without navi), because that's the only way they'll be able to sway TL shoppers away. Damnit, they can't get that 3.5L Duratec out fast enough.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Banned

2006 Lincoln Zephyr => 2007 Lincoln MKZ

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...602070403/1148

Quick changeroo! Go go gadget marketeering campaign!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:14 AM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by M TYPE X

Old 02-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

The new engine and stying update make this car attactive. The new name isn't a big deal, in fact it's a good thing IMO because it shows that Lincoln is working on a game plan.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Pasting the whole article below...
Old 02-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Don't get used to Zephyr -- it's MK Z - -Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News - - SOurce: http://www.detnews.com/

The Lincoln Zephyr sedan hasn't been out four months yet and Ford Motor Co. is already planning a makeover that will include a more powerful engine, a flashier front end and a new name -- the MK Z.

The MK Z will debut Wednesday at the Chicago Auto Show and will reach showrooms later this year as a 2007 model.

The MK Z will be the first sedan on the road to feature Ford's new 3.5-liter V-6 Cyclone engine and six-speed automatic transmission. It's the same powertrain featured on the Ford Edge and Lincoln MK X crossover vehicles that will be launched this fall. The new 250-horsepower engine gives the MK Z another 29 horses under its hood than the Zephyr.

Like its predecessor, the MK Z shares a Mazda6-inspired platform with the Ford Fusion and the Mercury Milan. Critics of the Zephyr said it offered too little to differentiate itself from its siblings.

"They understand that there's some shortcomings," said Erich Merkle, an analyst with IRN Inc. in Grand Rapids. "It says they're addressing them."

But Peter Horbury, Ford's executive director of design for North America, said the redesign of MK Z is not an admission that the Zephyr isn't up to snuff.

"We just gave a new face to the new powertrain," he said Monday. "We're trying to make Lincoln slightly different from the others."

The Fusion and the Milan will not get the new engine for the 2007 model year. However, like the MK Z, they will add all-wheel drive as an option.

"This was planned from the start," said analyst Jim Hall with AutoPacific in Southfield, adding that Ford rushed the Zephyr to market in order to fill the gap created by the demise of the Lincoln LS sedan, which the company plans to stop producing in April.

That strategy required Lincoln designers to limit their changes to the underlying Fusion design. Since front-end modifications are among the most complicated from a production standpoint, this was one area that had to wait.

"The front was the weakest part of the Zephyr," Hall said. "(But) it was what they had to do to get it done fast … They needed product for the dealers."

Lincoln sold 19,109 LS sedans in 2005, down 29.4 percent from the previous year. Since its launch last fall, the Zephyr has sold more than 7,600 units. In January, Lincoln only sold 873 LS sedans, compared with 2,692 Zephyrs.

The MK Z is more reflective of the new Lincoln design theme, a look exemplified by the new Lincoln MK S flagship sedan that was unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit last month.

It also offers a new metallic interior option in addition to the existing wood trim options offered in the Zephyr.

As for the name change, it reflects Lincoln's new alphabetic naming scheme -- a type of nomenclature often used by European automakers to emphasize the brand over individual models.

"We felt that we still had time to make the change," said Ford spokeswoman Sara Tatchio, noting that the Zephyr name was still too new to have built a strong resonance with consumers. Analysts agreed that the name change would cost Lincoln little in the marketplace.

However, Merkle said it would take more than a name change, a design refresh and new powertrain to make the MK Z a real challenger to the likes of the Cadillac CTS and BMW 325i, which are in the same price range.

"It certainly is a move in the right direction," Merkle said. "(But) I still don't see it as a real competitor with other vehicles in the entry-level luxury segment."
Old 02-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The engine's name is Cyclone? LOL
Old 02-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The Fusion and the Milan will not get the new engine for the 2007 model year. However, like the MK Z, they will add all-wheel drive as an option.
Not good...

With AWD they will need this powertrain more than ever. As it is they are begging for more torque from what I understand.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Not good...

With AWD they will need this powertrain more than ever. As it is they are begging for more torque from what I understand.
Ford didn't think over there implementation of the new engine. The engine in the Lincoln should have 270ish hp and the Ford/Mercury Version should be the standard 250hp. Ford's own literature states that this engine is capable of hp in excess of 250. I am sure it's just some simple ECU tuning to get more power.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:42 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximized
The new engine and stying update make this car attactive. The new name isn't a big deal, in fact it's a good thing IMO because it shows that Lincoln is working on a game plan.

A game plan that Ford seems to have dreamt up overnight. Just days before the Detroit show they decided on this new "MK" naming scheme. Doesn't seem like much thought went into it at all since the already had the Zephyr and all preproduction MKX's were already badged as Aviators.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
A game plan that Ford seems to have dreamt up overnight. Just days before the Detroit show they decided on this new "MK" naming scheme. Doesn't seem like much thought went into it at all since the already had the Zephyr and all preproduction MKX's were already badges Aviators.
Ford is trying to reinvent themselves. In the past, they have been slow to foresee and accept change. This is a good thing IMO.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

"They understand that there's some shortcomings," said Erich Merkle, an analyst with IRN Inc. in Grand Rapids. "It says they're addressing them."
But the car only came out 4 months ago. You couldn't see the shortcomings then?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:47 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Ford is trying to reinvent themselves. In the past, they have been slow to foresee and accept change. This is a good thing IMO.

I agree its a good thing but my point is the new Zephyr and Aviator were obviously in the plans for a at least a couiple of years now. Could they not have come up with the new naming before realeasing one and almost 2 of their new cars that are apparently going to reinvent the brand. Just seems like they changed things on a whim.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

This rush decision making, or delayed decision making, depending on how you see it, is proof of the panic mode within the highest decision making points at Ford. They are running like chickens with their heads cut off.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
I agree its a good thing but my point is the new Zephyr and Aviator were obviously in the plans for a at least a couiple of years now. Could they not have come up with the new naming before realeasing one and almost 2 of their new cars that are apparently going to reinvent the brand. Just seems like they changed things on a whim.
The Zephyr was rushed into production. A name change isn't a big deal. It's not like they are doing a major overhaul of the platform.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

This rush decision making, or delayed decision making, depending on how you see it, is proof of the panic mode within the highest decision making points at Ford. They are running like chickens with their heads cut off.
It's part of the "Way Forward" plan. Logically, it's a step in the right direction. Will it work? That's the big question.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Is this a MK Z or Mark Z?

And this car is still a huge problem. Those wheels suck ass. The styling isn't aggressive enough. I would cross shop this car with an Accord V6 EX but not a TL.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by charliemike

And this car is still a huge problem. Those wheels suck ass. The styling isn't aggressive enough. I would cross shop this car with an Accord V6 EX but not a TL.
Some people crack me up. The TL is a bland cookie cutter design. The TL doesn't have aggressive styling, nor do the majority of luxury cars. Aggressive styling is hit or miss and manufacturers go with what works.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Some people crack me up. The TL is a bland cookie cutter design. The TL doesn't have aggressive styling, nor do the majority of luxury cars. Aggressive styling is hit or miss and manufacturers go with what works.
I don't see the TL as bland at all. The front end is attractive and there are tasteful lines throughout the car's profile.

If Lincoln is trying to get 60 year olds back into their showrooms, they've succeeded.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:08 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I don't think this car will help change the fortunes at Lincoln.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Not good...

You'd think they'd have learned after the Ford 500 fiasco.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
You'd think they'd have learned after the Ford 500 fiasco.

You would have also thought they would have had more than an aged 200HP 3L ready for the launch of several significant vehicles in their lineup.

* > Ford
Old 02-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
I don't think this car will help change the fortunes at Lincoln.
It's not meant to. The MKS and other car based off the D3 platform are coming out very soon. The MKZ is a starting point to help rejuvenate Lincolns product line. The Zephyr was actually selling fairly well and this engine should only help draw buyers into the showroom.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

I agree with most of the Ford criticism on here. GM at least has attractive new product in Buick. But Ford is giving everyone the 'just wait and see' on Lincoln.

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ: old man car
Mercury Milan: women's car

I prefer the Milan to the Zephyr/MKZ. That just goes to show how old man it is.
... and such a pity, because the concept sketches were so sleek and sexy.

Boxy-looking car with no power ... yeah, that's a real Lincoln.
Especially when few real Lincolns have anything less than a V8.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

I agree with most of the Ford criticism on here. GM at least has attractive new product in Buick. But Ford is giving everyone the 'just wait and see' on Lincoln.

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ: old man car
Mercury Milan: women's car

I prefer the Milan to the Zephyr/MKZ. That just goes to show how old man it is.
... and such a pity, because the concept sketches were so sleek and sexy.

Boxy-looking car with no power ... yeah, that's a real Lincoln.
Especially when few real Lincolns have anything less than a V8.
The MKZ and Zephyr is actually bringing in younger buyers. As for having no power, this car weighs a little bit over 3400 lbs and has 250hp coupled with a 6 speed auto. I would guess mid 6's 0-60 and high 14s thru the 1/4. No need for a V8 in this case. Even the "real" V8 Lincolns were slow and underpowered.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

Yeah. But it's proof prositive that Lincoln does have a future. I'd rather them do this now, while the Zephyr name has no equity, than later, when it's the only vehicle in the lineup (besides the Navi and Mark, for now) with a name.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

The name change (for both the Zephyr and Aviator) to alpha numeric had to be done because the MK S got the green light. The MK S, and the car placed above it, will be welcome (and sorely needed) in Lincoln's sedan lineup. With the exception of a coupe, Lincoln's lineup will be full by 2010.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Safety Car

It's not meant to. The MKS and other car based off the D3 platform are coming out very soon. The MKZ is a starting point to help rejuvenate Lincolns product line. The Zephyr was actually selling fairly well and this engine should only help draw buyers into the showroom.
Agreed. With the revised front to the MKZ and the HP boost, it should definitely help justify the $31K price tag. Also, like the TL and ES, if this car did take off and become a hit for Lincoln, it'd be a big profit maker. I wish Lincoln nothting but the best with this car, and I think the name change is the right decision (since they've gone the alpha numeric route anyway).
Old 02-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn't agree more. I think Licoln should capitalize on there own heritage instead of trying to copy someone elses. That is what the Asian car makers due to try to compensate fore their lack of "heritage". These hapf baked ideas only hurt them. This MK M-whetever business is silly. It is confusing. Again instead of focusing on the core problem ... product or lack their of, is not adressed. The concept of the Zephyr was soooo much nicer than the vehicle that actually came out. I do however thinkg that the name Zephyr was poorly thought out. But names are good thing especially for American cars.

The LS was a great sedan, but they did not follow thru. They improved it's quality slowly but it didn't evolve the engine lacked that little extra oomph...The small "it" factor things. I still say that it was a great car. They didn't take care of it, and to replace it with a midsize FWD platform car is a step in the wrong direction IMO.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Drifting

I talked to a guy who owns a zephyr and he was meh about it. He said the FWD sucks and the interior is kinda cheap/lots of rattles. Much better cars for the money IMO
Old 02-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSMTL01
I talked to a guy who owns a zephyr and he was meh about it. He said the FWD sucks and the interior is kinda cheap/lots of rattles. Much better cars for the money IMO
I think so.

The Lincoln brand is dangerously close to lacking a reason for existence.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

The same could be said about Acura. The only car that sells in volume is the TL.

Ford is focusing on product development for Lincoln. In a couple of years, they will have a few more products, which will drive sales. When you have old dated products, obviously sales aren't going to be stellar when your competitors are updating their products.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Drifting

I think so.

I think their SUV's will be their reason for a while
Old 02-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

The same could be said about Acura. The only car that sells in volume is the TL.

Ford is focusing on product development for Lincoln. In a couple of years, they will have a few more products, which will drive sales. When you have old dated products, obviously sales aren't going to be stellar when your competitors are updating their products.
Lincoln has had product problems [not bad products, but utterly lackluster] for more than half a decade.

The TSX, TL, and RL are all fresh models. Are you going to say that Jaguars are bad because they sell fewer cars than other automakers? Exclusivity because of price isn't a bad thing. The problem with Lincoln is that the brand itself has withered due to lack of reason and product.

Ford cannot seem to juggle Jaguar plus Lincoln plus Volvo.

Quick Reply: Lincoln: MKZ/Zephyr News