Lexus: IS News

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I like it a lot...the exterior could have come out of the oven maybe 5 minutes sooner...but its got style. It sets itself apart in a good way.
I agree. I especially like the rear tail light design.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
After parting out my 2010, ive been greatly anticipating this...

...much more extreme than what I imagined. Then again, they pushed the envelope pretty far for the GS and that's much more of an old mans car (or was).

overall - i agree with the others that have positive responses.

the lower front bumper is a bit much...but im sure the non-F will be much more subtle, seeing as how the <2013 F package is the first of it's kind, and was already much more aggressive than the non-F. I also think the spindle grille mesh will not overlay the mid bumper.

tailights will be acceptable over time.

headlights still maintain an overall traditional form with the extended border of the LED swoosh. basically looks like the plastic headlight cover is missing. this is a good transition to where lexus wants to go down the road. better than infititi, which simply slaps on some nonsensical headlight forms (JX and FX).

final take away: The 2006 IS was a hit for almost a decade. It still looks great today (i dearly miss my 2010). When its 2020, people will look at the 2014 lexus and say, wow, still within the pack, and it was designed such a long time ago.

drop, wheels, lips, and tint, and this is going to look mean real fast.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 01-10-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Damn. I didn't know SSFTSX was still alive.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Yeah, definitely better without the LED strip being separate from headlight.

I dont like the lack of the led strip.

It needs to be there but as a singular component with the headlight...like keep it as is and add a enclosing lens to make it feel like one piece.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
The LED strip is fine.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I think it fits the scheme that Lexus is headed towards with its vehicles, and looks decent.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
The GS is far, far from outdated looking. Out of all the cars, it's definitely the best looking of the line-up, with the LS right behind it.

Back to the car, I hadn't even noticed the headlight design. The only company that reminds me of is currently Pagani who did something somewhat similar in design.

Still very much looking forward to seeing it in the flesh, let alone driving one, when they come in. I imagine we'll have our unveiling when we move this summer if they're not out yet.
.this lexus IS is slightly better than GS but overall very similar. I am expecting it will depreciate alot in used market. TL SH-AWD does not have DI engine and lower stance of GS but still get similar handling and straight line performance like GS F sport. so these lexus are not even technically advanced.

Honda designs are very advanced for its time. and they are not going to implement that stupid SUV style side mirrors.
Lexus GS is outdated and bland. there is no muscular curves in body

Last edited by SSFTSX; 01-11-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX

Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
^ I actually like that TSX with the clear headlamps vs the black plastic housing we get in the US version. I think it makes a huge difference
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 AM
The Third Ball

I never knew SSF was an attempted comedy writer...
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
final take away: The 2006 IS was a hit for almost a decade. It still looks great today (i dearly miss my 2010). When its 2020, people will look at the 2014 lexus and say, wow, still within the pack, and it was designed such a long time ago.

drop, wheels, lips, and tint, and this is going to look mean real fast.

Thats a pretty bold statement, i will make an equally bold one:

In 2020, people will look look at the 2014 lexus and say, wow, still ugly, and it was designed such a long time ago
Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,029 Likes on 2,506 Posts
The grill is really ugly, the rest of the exterior is OK.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KillerG
Thats a pretty bold statement
How so? The 2014 IS is the newest front runner of the Lexus pack by carrying the strongest interpretation of their design language. The LS, ES, and RX just went through minor corporate design adjustments...the next cycle of redesigns in the line-up will carry through beyond 2020, in which case, yes, you will see a 2020 LS for sale in the showroom that may not be too far off from a 2014 IS.

The IS is closer to the LF concepts than most imagined. At a macro level, what other manufacturers have released production vehicles lately that have exectued their extreme design language at this level? It usually takes manufacturers years and years to get the market warmed up to their 'target' design. Not to mention, it takes 3 years from pen to paper to reality.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 01-11-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
.this lexus IS is slightly better than GS but overall very similar. I am expecting it will depreciate alot in used market. TL SH-AWD does not have DI engine and lower stance of GS but still get similar handling and straight line performance like GS F sport. so these lexus are not even technically advanced.

Honda designs are very advanced for its time. and they are not going to implement that stupid SUV style side mirrors.
Lexus GS is outdated and bland. there is no muscular curves in body

You're a fuking moron to think that the TL's rear is better than the GS's.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by endo022
Especially since he used a picture of an ES350.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Old 01-11-2013, 02:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,029 Likes on 2,506 Posts
Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
Dutch: [the Predator pulls off his mask] You're one... *ugly* motherf***er!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Geniuses.. that is a GS
The following users liked this post:
VTEC Racer (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by MTEAZY
Geniuses.. that is a GS
Oops, you are correct. Oh well.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Oops, you are correct. Oh well.
Well, that's unacceptable!!

Only Q50, TLX and C class are left to "surprise" in this segment.

Last edited by MuGen7Modulo; 01-11-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow. I'm actually shocked at how ugly it is. Why is Lexus insisting on giving the latest redesigns of their RWD cars FWD proportions? Does the F-sport really need that length of overhang? It looks like the offspring of an RSX and 2nd gen Infiniti FX. Just horrid.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I dont blame you for mis judging it. Lexus has followed BMW approach of similar looking car to cut costs.

The level of quality, aerodynamic refinement & handling with all season tires that is present in Honda is well beyond BMW/Lexus.
TL certainly dont look that much bland and out of proportion. it may not be Acura best design but far better than anything else in this class.

GS/IS is clearly overdone. There is no elegance in design. that large stupid nose. and too much front slop.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
I see a lot of "wow"s at the beginning of most posts.

Love it or hate it, that's exactly what Lexus wants.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
consumer: "Wow, thats fuckin ugly"

lexus: "Mission Accomplished!"
The following users liked this post:
MTEAZY (01-16-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
wow, this is an ugly car.

wtf, I can't really find anything I like about it.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Looks like the non F Sport version looks slightly better.

Lexus: IS News-ap0dm.jpg

Lexus: IS News-rf2uu.jpg
Old 01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Ew @ F Sport...
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Press release...

All-New 2014 Lexus IS Sport Sedan Makes World Premiere at the North American International Auto Show

• Engaging and entertaining driving dynamics across the model range; exclusive tuning enhancements on F SPORT models
• Completely redesigned with bold exterior styling and an LFA-inspired driver-focused cockpit
• Longer wheelbase with significant increases in rear seat space and trunk capacity
• New multimedia system with industry-first, complimentary real-time traffic and weather information

DETROIT (Jan. 15, 2013) – Lexus today unveiled the all-new 2014 IS sedan at the North American International Auto Show. IS will be available in rear- and all-weather drive versions of the IS 250 and IS 350, a further evolution of F SPORT available across the entire model range, and for Europe, Japan, and select international markets, the IS 300h, the first IS to feature Lexus Hybrid Drive.

Driving performance is a key selling point in the sport sedan segment. In conjunction with a bold new design including the Lexus spindle grille, the all-new IS has been painstakingly engineered to have excellent dynamic capabilities to provide an exceptional driving experience.

“I adopted an entirely different approach to the development of the all-new IS,” said Junichi Furuyama, IS chief engineer. “Specifically, it was to make an entertaining driving experience a major premise behind all aspects of performance.

“The conventional approach involves developing each individual aspect in the hope that they will combine to offer an engaging driving experience. By contrast, development of the new IS flipped this process on its head, first establishing the pleasurable driving experience owners desire, and then developing the individual performance elements to support it.”

Every aspect of the IS has been engineered with a renewed focus on engaging performance, agile handling, accurate response to driver input and highly communicative feedback.

“The IS has always been precise and fun to drive,” said Mark Templin, Lexus group vice president and general manager. “The all-new IS kicks it up a notch with true sport sedan driving dynamics, state of the art onboard technologies, and an all-new design that makes it look fast even when it’s standing still.”

Incorporating several Lexus-first features and technical innovations, the IS showcases an interior design with all the refinement and quality expected of a Lexus, plus a focused driver’s environment, a significant improvement in rear seat comfort and spaciousness, and a larger, more convenient trunk.

Engine/Transmission

Rear- and all-weather drive versions of the IS 250 are powered by a 2.5 liter V6 gas engine. The IS 350 features a 3.5 liter V6 gas engine. The IS 300h, which will be available in Europe, Japan, and select international markets, will employ the Lexus Hybrid Drive powertrain, based on a newly developed 2.5L Atkinson-cycle engine.

IS adopts the Drive Mode Select system which offers up to four switchable driving modes- ECO, NORMAL, SPORT and SPORT S+ (S+ available on IS 350 only) - to optimize vehicle systems to suit the driver’s preferred combination of fuel economy, comfort, performance and handling characteristics.

The IS 350 RWD features the eight-speed, Sport Direct Shift (SPDS) automatic transmission from the IS F high performance sedan with quicker shifts, full torque converter lockup and throttle blips in manual mode. The new IS is the first Lexus model to adopt G force Artificial Intelligence (G-AI) control in Sport mode. This system automatically selects the optimal gear and downshift pattern in response to G force, and maintains the selected gear through a corner.

Chassis/Body/Suspension/Brakes

Driving enjoyment was at the heart of the new IS development program, and every aspect of the new Lexus sedan’s driving dynamics has been carefully engineered to that end.

New, laser screw welding and adhesive body bonding techniques, along with additional spot welding, have increased overall body rigidity. This enhances stability and also allows for a more comfortable ride without compromising handling agility.

The double wishbone front suspension system has been revised, offering a twenty percent increase in sway rigidity. The rear adopts a new multi-link suspension system from the GS. Fine tuning has resulted in outstanding grip performance and excellent response to steering inputs. Separate mounting of the spring and shock absorber maximizes trunk space.

Steering feel and feedback is key to an enjoyable driving experience, and the new IS benefits from a steering gear box based on that of the GS sedan, incorporating a variety of tuning techniques. The structure and rigidity of each gear box component has been revised to create a smoother and more accurate steering feel with enhanced input response and greater driver feedback.

F SPORT

IS F SPORT models not only benefit from exclusive, exterior and interior design features, but also genuine dynamic enhancements. Both the front and rear suspension systems and the Electric Power Steering (EPS) are exclusively tuned for F SPORT, enhancing handling performance. An Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) system is tuned for F SPORT models, while Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) is also available on IS 350.

F SPORT models announce their presence with an exclusive spindle grille that incorporates a bolder insert design. The bottom corners of the front bumpers feature aerodynamic detailing to provide enhanced brake cooling. Unique 18-inch wheels feature a Y-spoke design inspired by the LFA.

On board, drivers will receive vehicle information from an innovative driver’s meter cluster with a moving center ring, inspired by the LFA. Interior trim detailing includes an F SPORT steering wheel and shift knob, and aluminum pedals and scuff plates that include the Lexus logo.

Exterior Design

The overall dynamic shape of the body emphasizes the wide flare of the wheel arches to give the new IS a broad, powerful stance.

In profile, the strong horizontal beltline shows off the large rear tires and its low center of gravity. The exterior design includes a new, powerfully articulated headlamp cluster design with Lexus’ trademark, L-shaped Daytime Running Lights (DRL) located independently below.

Interior Design

The clean, horizontal theme of the interior is bisected by the strong upward sweep of the center console, creating an ergonomically ideal environment. The newly designed driver’s seat offers greater comfort and better lateral support. Both the seat hip point and the angle of the new, LFA-inspired steering wheel have been lowered and steering reach adjustment has been increased, creating a driver focused seating position.

To better accommodate passengers, the new IS wheelbase is nearly three inches longer, providing a more comfortable cabin and increased trunk capacity. The extended wheelbase and a thinner front seat design results in three inches more knee room for rear passengers. New to the IS are standard, lockable 60:40 split/folding rear seats.

Refined materials throughout the cabin are complemented by a high quality analog clock with surface-emitting illumination. The climate control system incorporates Lexus-first electrostatic switches, which enable vehicle occupants to adjust temperature settings with the touch of a finger.

All IS models are equipped with the next generation, Lexus Display Audio or Remote Touch-controlled Navigation multimedia systems. Both multimedia systems provide industry-first complimentary real-time traffic and weather information delivered without a subscription through HD™ Radio Technology. The new steering wheel is the first on a Lexus to coordinate multimedia system control with both the meter cluster and center console displays.

Safety/Security

The 2014 IS has 10 airbags standard, including rear seat side airbags. Available safety and security features include an Automatic High Beam (AHB) headlamp system, a Lane Departure Alert (LDA) system, a Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) and a Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) system.

The AHB headlamp system maximizes visibility at night by automatically switching to low beams when its camera detects the lights of either an oncoming or preceding vehicle.

An LDA system helps prevent unintended lane changes by alerting the driver when the vehicle deviates from its lane without the operation of the turn signal.

The BSM uses rear mounted radar to detect vehicles in adjacent lanes that are not visible in the outer door mirrors.

The RCTA system employs the BSM radar to alert the driver to approaching vehicles when backing out of a parking space.

The all-new Lexus IS will go on sale in mid-2013.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I will say that the non F-Sport looks better than the F-Sport. But that's not saying much

and yes, if the LED strip were somehow integrated with the headlamp assembly, it would look better. I get that the lines follow (for the most part), but it just looks like a convoluted mess as is.

I think "Predator.jpeg" sums it up perfectly. Can't even remember if I saw the IS at the car show. I like the new ES, GS and LS are decent, but the IS looks like it had both of its eyes punched in.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:08 PM
The Third Ball

Still love it.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Safety Car

damnit, i was way off
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Gonna take a long time to get used to lol.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 PM

Based solely on the pictures, I don't like the F-Sport body kit on the IS at all. The main design element on the car, in general, that I just can't seem to get past is the shape of the taillights. That pointy extension way down into the rear quarter panel just doesn't sit right with me for some reason.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I like it a lot...the exterior could have come out of the oven maybe 5 minutes sooner...but its got style. It sets itself apart in a good way.

NOTHING can make the 4G TL look good.

I really like this design.
Really? The 2012 is getting great reviews for it's look now.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by endo022
The GS I would take any day, but that TL is the ugliest one. Lets try mine. Oh and the TL blows the IS in looks away.

Before the grill was done but a nice reflective shot. excuse the sign.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Really? The 2012 is getting great reviews for it's look now.
They toned it down...but it still looks bulbous and bloaty.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM
The Third Ball

Well, the TL is in a different class than the IS.

I've all of beak painting..it kinda helps...but personally I still the looks of the IS more. Just me.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM

Motor Trend first drive: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t_first_drive/

Looks better in black, IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by ttribe:
F23A4 (01-26-2013), Sarlacc (01-23-2013)

Quick Reply: Lexus: IS News