Lexus: NX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lexus: NX News

Future Products — Lexus - - By AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

Small crossover: Lexus once thought about using the RAV4 as the basis for a luxury vehicle. Executives concluded that the platform was too downmarket. But the success of the BMW X3 and the arrival of the Acura RDX and Volvo XC50 have them rethinking. If a thumbs up is given, it could arrive for the 2009 model year.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was just a matter of time... Infiniti's got the CX coming, Mercedes is coming with the MLK (name will probably be changed), and Acura and BMW are already in the segment. Lexus will get in real soon. Caddy and Buick are supposed to introduce small SUVs in the near future also.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Stop this SUV madness now!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
The RAV4 already gives a compelling argument not to buy an RDX, a Lexus version would settle the debate once and for all. It'll run circles around the RDX, in performance/gas mileage/interior quality/sales.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by phile
The RAV4 already gives a compelling argument not to buy an RDX, a Lexus version would settle the debate once and for all. It'll run circles around the RDX, in performance/gas mileage/interior quality/sales.
I'm sure that Lexus will come out with something competitive, but don't count Acura out just yet. I'm betting that the RDX will come available with a turbo diesel engine in the near future. It would be the logical engine for the RDX. Lots of torque, lots of power and much better fuel efficiency. If they come out with a turbo diesel I'm getting one. Don't forget, Honda's diesels have been quite revolutionary in Europe. Read some of the reviews of the engine that they have in the European Accord and Civic and CRV.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:42 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love CUV's!!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:44 PM
hail to the victors

even though RAV4 isn't a sissy anymore, i still wouldn't buy it. it's too feminine for my taste.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

The way the X3 drives, they are hardly SUVs. I was very impressed when I drove it.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
You didn't get the memo? They're called crossovers to make them more appealing.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Not to ruin your sarcasm but crossovers are based on cars and SUVs are based on trucks..I think it's pretty valuable to distinguish between these, regardless of the marketing.

I also doubt a Lexus version of the RAV4 would get anywhere near the same gas mileage but that's just a WAG like the idea that it would run circles around the RDX.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
The way the X3 drives, they are hardly SUVs. I was very impressed when I drove it.
Imagine how much more impressive it would be if it were lower AKA a car

BTW, my bias against SUV's is mainly that they are too tall. Bumper height disparities, rollover and increased frontal mass which equals poorer fuel economy. No one goes offroad in the damn things. Meanwhile they're just battering rams that injure or kill the occupants of cars, especially in side collisions. Because of this fact, cars are getting taller with ugly high rear bumpers, high door sills.

Cliff notes: They're a safety menace and cause sedans/coupes to become uglier due to increased safety concerns vs. SUV/CUV collisions.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by chungkopi
even though RAV4 isn't a sissy anymore, i still wouldn't buy it. it's too feminine for my taste.
I actually prefer the old RAV4's looks to the new one. But the only reason why I say a Lexus vehicle would destroy the RDX in virtually every way is because that V6 model has gotten nothing but praise; all it really takes is for Lexus to rebadge, add a more luxurious interior, and with Toyota's economy of scale over Honda, they could easily sell it in the same price bracket as the RDX and still make a profit. The RDX, on the other hand, is yet another 8/10 attempt from Honda. I'm not going to turn this into another RDX thread, but I see a few areas where Honda could've made a winner with the RDX.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by unlemming
Not to ruin your sarcasm but crossovers are based on cars and SUVs are based on trucks..I think it's pretty valuable to distinguish between these, regardless of the marketing.

I also doubt a Lexus version of the RAV4 would get anywhere near the same gas mileage but that's just a WAG like the idea that it would run circles around the RDX.
My point is that until last year everything in the current crop of crossovers would have been called an SUV, regardless of what it was based upon. Look at any literature more than 2 years old and everything from the RAV4 on up was called an SUV. SUV became a bad word so the marketeers had to come up with a more acceptable word.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Race Director

I actually prefer the old RAV4's looks to the new one. But the only reason why I say a Lexus vehicle would destroy the RDX in virtually every way is because that V6 model has gotten nothing but praise; all it really takes is for Lexus to rebadge, add a more luxurious interior, and with Toyota's economy of scale over Honda, they could easily sell it in the same price bracket as the RDX and still make a profit. The RDX, on the other hand, is yet another 8/10 attempt from Honda. I'm not going to turn this into another RDX thread, but I see a few areas where Honda could've made a winner with the RDX.
So then what happens to the RX? Now that the RAV4 has grown,a Lexus derivative would be the same size as the RX.

You can only stuff the market with so many SU... sorry CUVs.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by biker
So then what happens to the RX? Now that the RAV4 has grown,a Lexus derivative would be the same size as the RX.

You can only stuff the market with so many SU... sorry CUVs.
My guess is the RX will become a 3-row SUV, similar to Acura's RDX/MDX transition scheme. Even at this point Lexus has the most SUVs in its lineup out of all the luxury manufacturers...RX/GX/LX...another one won't hurt. Like the 4Runner and the Highlander in Toyota's lineup, I don't see a problem with both an RX with a 3rd row and a GX in the Lexus lineup.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
RDX we hardly new ye.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post Lexus plans BMW X3 fighter...

From Leftlane...

Lexus currently sells three different SUVs. Its smallest one — the RX 350, –sells the most. Since early this year, rumors from Japan have indicated the luxury automaker intends to get on car-based crossover bandwagon with a compact SUV of its own. For the 2009 model year Lexus is expected to introduce a new crossover SUV that will be smaller in size than the current RX 350.

The new crossover will use a modified Toyota RAV4 platform and a version of its 3.5 liter V6 engine. Size will be similar to the BMW X3 and Acura RDX. This artist's sketch, based on the latest information from Japan, gives an idea of what the new Lexus crossover might look like. Full image after the jump…
Old 10-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-25-2006, 09:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I know its just a rendering but...

Looks better than the RDX and X3
Will have far more power than both with the 3.5

so I smell a winner.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

^ I smell a winner too, though I think it's a mistake to be that wagon like. It rides to close to the ground in the CGI, IMO; similar to an R350. It's should have more of a SUV stance, like the RDX and X3, as opposed to a tallish wagon.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Speaking of RDX, I've seen a few on the roads now...the look kinda grew on me. I think it looks not bad...
Old 10-25-2006, 10:23 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumchah
I think it looks not bad...

What a glowing endorsement. Thats just it, it doesn't look bad. Doesn't really stand out either though. Puts me right to bed. The interior is great though.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:13 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom

so I smell a winner.
It wouldn't take much effort by Lexus to design a small ute that looks better than than the RDX.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:06 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

so I smell a winner.

i wouldnt say far more power. if they stick with the rav4 engine making 268hp thats only 8 more hp than the x3's 260hp
Old 10-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Race Director

Like I said there's only so many CUV/SUV the market will bear and in the case of Lexus such a vehicle will most likely take sales away from its own RX350. Lexus will have 3 CUV/SUV types that are all in the mid sized class and within a few $000 of each other.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Infamous425
i wouldnt say far more power. if they stick with the rav4 engine making 268hp thats only 8 more hp than the x3's 260hp

225 vs 260ish Tq. The Rav V6 already does 0-60 in 6.3 and can run a sub 15 sec 1/4 mile. I'd imagine they'd pump the power up some for the Lexus version.

Having said that I wouldn't let acceleration numbers factor into my buying decesion. It is afterall a SUV. But if they can price is at or just above the RDX's 31-37K, it should make the RDX a harder sell than it already is. Especially considering the Rav V6 gets better fuel economy than the RDX.

EDIT: Not to mention the larger size and possibility of a 3rd row.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
225 vs 260ish Tq. The Rav V6 already does 0-60 in 6.3 and can run a sub 15 sec 1/4 mile. I'd imagine they'd pump the power up some for the Lexus version.

Having said that I wouldn't let acceleration numbers factor into my buying decesion. It is afterall a SUV. But if they can price is at or just above the RDX's 31-37K, it should make the RDX a harder sell than it already is. Especially considering the Rav V6 gets better fuel economy than the RDX.

EDIT: Not to mention the larger size and possibility of a 3rd row.
...and better looks.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Lexus: Rav4 based crossover

Toyota-owned Lexus is busily developing a hybrid-powered crossover that will go head-to-head with the Audi Q3, the BMW X1 and the upcoming Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class. The yet-unnamed crossover is scheduled to greet the public for the first time at next year's edition of the Geneva Motor Show.

Official details are scarce, but an inside source told trade journal Automotive News that the vehicle will borrow its platform from the fourth-generation Toyota RAV4. It will stretch around 180 inches long, 73 inches wide and 66 inches tall.

The five-seater crossover will be powered by a gasoline-electric hybrid drivetrain that will consist of a 2.5-liter Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder engine and an electric motor linked to a lithium-ion battery pack, a setup similar to the one found on the new IS300h.

Lexus will preview the upcoming crossover with a thinly-veiled concept that will make its debut in November at the Tokyo Motor Show.

The baby crossover will be the first of several upcoming Lexus-badged crossovers. Brian Smith, Lexus' vice president of marketing, previously hinted that a three-row crossover with unibody construction will likely replace either the GX or the LX in the next few years.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/lexus-pr...rKqyBo6g8zK.99
Old 04-05-2013, 12:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

If Honda can sell a "re-badged" CRV as an Acura, Lexus would be foolish not to do the same thing.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Lexus has been foolish to have not done this years ago.

If they had this on the market now...my mother might not have jumped ship after a LS and 3 RX's to a new SRX last month.

And as much as she liked her RX's...she LOVES her SRX.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Pinky all stinky

im actually shocked Lexus hasn't done this earlier
Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I'm shocked Lexus is doing an X1/Q3 competitor before doing a true X3/Q5 competitor. I always though the RX was more an X5 equivalent.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
im actually shocked Lexus hasn't done this earlier
Yep. The media claims luxury makes are going down-market to expand their product lines (and profits). I'd say it's more of a shift in the market...

They used to sell thousands of re-badged Land Cruisers, now that the large-SUV well has dried up, they re-badging RAV4s...

This is a "luxury" trend that will continue for a while.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2013 Lexus LF-NX Concept

Press release...

With the launch of the first RX in 1998, Lexus pioneered the premium crossover segment, combining, for the first time, all the flexibility, practicality and durability of a Sports Utility Vehicle with the handling, performance, refinement and ride of a premium sedan.

More compact than the RX at 4,640 mm long with a 2,700 mm wheelbase length, the LF-NX concept focuses on the growing segment of smaller, more urban-centric mid-sized premium crossovers, attracting a new, more design-oriented generation of discerning Lexus customers.

Exterior Design

The LF-NX concept’s bold, striking and innovative exterior reflects a further evolution of Lexus’ L-finesse design language, bringing more distinctive, angular and sculpted styling to the premium mid-sized crossover segment for the first time.

The front of the new concept is dominated by an imposing interpretation of the Lexus spindle grille. Both the chrome trim and grille mesh pattern increase in size as the grille widens through the lower bumper area, to accentuate the concept’s wide front track and powerful stance.

The upper edges of the grille generate powerful lines which define the bonnet edges, whilst the base is underscored by a chrome-finished undertray which expresses the crossover concept’s off-road credentials.

Extremely expressive, signature front lighting features three diamond-shaped LED headlamps and the independent Daytime Running Lights (DRL) first seen on the new IS sedan. The DRLs are underscored by full-length LED strip turn signal lamps.

The lower bumper flows away from the spindle grille edges into vertical air intakes, before projecting strongly forward into a unique corner detail. This separates the bumper from the front wing with an aggressive vertical cut detail that narrows to a point beneath the headlamp clusters.

Both front and rear wings are formed by a series of muscular, concave and convex curves. And the wheel arches incorporate black painted trim, hinting at the protective finish which typifies an urban crossover.

The belt line forms a pronounced diamond shape in plan form. This reaches its widest point adjacent to the B pillar before narrowing as it flows astern. Below, the door cills generate a more aggressive, angular interpretation of the rising crease line first seen on the LF-CC concept.

Above the belt line, the classic Lexus side glazing profile combines with a steeply raked tailgate and integral spoiler to create the sweeping silhouette of an athletic coupe.

The rear of the LF-NX is dominated by highly articulated lamp clusters which create an instantly identifiable light signature. They extend the full depth of the bumper, creating a sharp, aerodynamic trailing edge detail.

The classic Lexus ‘L’ shape of the lamp itself is scored strongly into the rear bodywork, creating an echo of the front spindle grille form.

The wide lower bumper has been deliberately detailed without a visible exhaust system, in recognition of the full hybrid powertrain’s environmentally –friendly credentials.

The Lexus LF-NX concept is finished in a new Brushed Metal Silver exterior colour which gives the striking impression that the bodyshell has been carved from a single billet of solid metal.

Interior Design

In a continuation of the ‘Human Oriented’ L-finesse design concept realised in both the LFA and new IS, the interior mirrors the LF-NX’s highly sculpted, angular exterior styling. It features bold, powerful forms which create a driver-focused cockpit within an ergonomically ideal environment.

The centre console extends the full length of the cabin to bisect the rear seats. Its highly three-dimensional framework’s bright, brushed metal finish has also been applied to the driver’s instrument meters, the steering wheel, the seat structure and the overhead console.

Reinforcing the LF-NX concept’s premium SUV credentials, the strength and refinement of this carved metal surfacing is complemented throughout the cabin by black and Sunrise Yellow leather upholstery with contrast stitching, and sophisticated blue instrument and switchgear lighting.

Intuitive interaction with the vehicle’s switchgear, instrumentation and Human Machine Interface (HMI) technology is at the heart of Lexus interior design. And the LF-NX cabin features the ideal, upper display zone and lower operation zone dashboard format perfected over successive Lexus generations.

The upper display zone features an exclusive driver’s instrument meter design.
The lower operation zone allows access to a new generation of touch-sensitive, electrostatic switches and the new Lexus Remote Touch Interface (RTI). This combines a touch tracer display with a new touch pad design and an adjustable arm rest, for comfort and smooth, intuitive ease of use.

Powertrain

Reinforcing Lexus’ commitment to the future of full hybrid drive technology, the LF-NX concept is equipped with a full hybrid powertrain tuned for SUV performance. This highly efficient Lexus Hybrid Drive system targets class-leading CO2 emissions.

The full hybrid drive system combines a 2.5 litre, four-cylinder Atkinson cycle petrol engine with a powerful electric motor to drive. At lower speeds, the LF-NX can operate under electric motor power alone.

The LF-NX’s highly efficient full hybrid powertrain targets performance on a par with conventionally powered rivals, whilst returning outstanding fuel consumption and class-leading CO2 emissions.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Excuse me while I go ...
Old 09-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
thats so ugly
Old 09-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Good lord that is ugly. Please kill it dead...
Old 09-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Look mommy, what i can do with a ruler!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:18 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Hor-en-dous.

Quick Reply: Lexus: NX News