AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Lexus: ES News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/lexus-es-news-146511/)

EL19 11-01-2018 10:31 AM

I appreciate this car. Got a brand new 18' GS350 Fsport AWD for a steal.

00TL-P3.2 11-01-2018 11:37 AM

Definitely seems like a solid car, but I'd go GS over ES any day (price difference aside).

Saintor 11-02-2018 06:59 PM

The GS now feels old. No thanks.

kurtatx 11-02-2018 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 (Post 16324090)
Definitely seems like a solid car, but I'd go GS over ES any day (price difference aside).

Agreed. I like the GS a lot.

ES is a bore

00TL-P3.2 11-03-2018 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16325164)
Agreed. I like the GS a lot.

ES is a bore

:nod:
But for a more-affordable luxo-barge, you could do worse than the new ES.

ttribe 11-03-2018 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 (Post 16325363)
But for a more-affordable luxo-barge, you could do worse than the new ES.

Camry in a tux....

kurtatx 11-03-2018 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 16325420)
Camry in a tux....

I thought it was an Avalon, but yeah if you're going to buy a styled up japanese car, you can choose between two flavors of the TLX, RLX, or this.

ttribe 11-03-2018 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16325429)
I thought it was an Avalon, but yeah if you're going to buy a styled up japanese car, you can choose between two flavors of the TLX, RLX, or this.

I think the earlier years were based on the Camry, and more recently the Avalon. The fact that it was EVER based on the Camry is something I'm just never letting go. :)

kurtatx 11-03-2018 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 16325430)
I think the earlier years were based on the Camry, and more recently the Avalon. The fact that it was EVER based on the Camry is something I'm just never letting go. :)

I mean, the ILX.... a worse Civic. Yikes. But yeah, the ES should be expendable at the hands of the IS and GS, but execs don't give a crap about drivetrain or anything like that.

Costco 11-03-2018 02:34 PM

Sucks that we don't get those wing mirrors. I feel like that's inevitably going to become more and more popular, at least among the luxury car.

Even the McLaren Speedtail has that kind of setup.

00TL-P3.2 11-03-2018 03:40 PM

With DOT greenlighting (IIRC) laser headlights in the US, I'm sure camera mirrors can't be too far behind for approval.

MSZ 11-04-2018 05:06 PM

Avalon itself is based on the Camry, wheelbase length being the only significant difference. So ES is basically still a prettier Camry.

oonowindoo 11-05-2018 05:06 PM

Seriously, it is not much better when it is based on Avalon... the difference is it was based on a boat and now it is based on a yacht.....
and the Yacht was based on the boat... so....

biker 04-19-2021 07:36 AM

Lexus refreshed its ES just last August, adding all-wheel drive and growing the car a couple inches. Now comes another refresh, with lightly restyled headlights and some multimedia updates. The F-Sport model gets a new handling package and there will be an F-Sport hybrid in what Lexus calls “select regions.” Lexus officials told Autoweek that “select regions” means the 300h F-Sport is going to be “available in Western states for 2022.

“We are always studying consumer preferences and demand,” a Lexus official told us, adding that in certain regions of the country hybrid powertrains make more sense.

Lexus says that with the added variety, “the ES family continues to offer Lexus guests choices to fit their diverse interests and lifestyles.”
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...p&resize=480:*https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...p&resize=480:*https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...p&resize=480:*The new screens have touchscreen functionality.

The exterior changes include a revised grille, while the biggest change inside is that the standard 8.0-inch and optional 12.3-inch color multimedia displays have been moved forward 4.3 inches. They also now have touch-screen functionality in addition to the remote touch interface. Lexus officials told Autoweek that the powertrains are carryover. That means the ES 250 AWD has a 2.5-liter four making 203 hp and returning 28 mpg, the best of all gas-powered ES sedans. The AWD system can send up to 50 percent of the power to the rear when needed, and when not needed, it electromagnetically decouples the prop shaft to save fuel. Lexus says the DTC AWD does not impede on legroom, trunk room, ride comfort, cabin quietness or vehicle agility.

All ES 350s have the company’s 3.5-liter V6 making 302 hp and 267 lb-ft or torque. Variable valve timing and direct injection allow the engine to operate either on the traditional Otto cycle during sporty driving or the more efficient Atkinson cycle when less power is needed.

The ES 300h hybrid has a different 2.5-liter four, only running the Atkinson cycle, delivering 215 hp. The car uses a lithium-ion battery as opposed to the nickel-metal hybrid battery from the previous car. That battery has also been relocated to underneath the back seat freeing up trunk space and improving front-to-rear weight balance. The hybrid again uses a CVT and is only offered in front-wheel drive.

The F-Sport hybrids have F-Sport badges, a darker grille surround, truck lid spoiler, 19-inch wheels with a new black finish and unique steering wheel, front seats, pedals, shift lever and knob.

On all models the rear suspension now includes a brace for more torsional rigidity, handling stability, and ride comfort, according to Lexus. On non-hybrid models, the brake master cylinder and booster have been modified for a more-linear pedal feel. Lexus says the hybrid’s electronic regen brakes have also been updated for improved pedal feel.

ES350 F-Sport models will offer an optional dynamic handling package that includes Sport+ and Custom drive modes and adaptive variable suspension.

Updated safety goodies on all ES models include a revised Pre-Collision System (PCS), now with an enhanced camera and radar to expand the response range. PCS now includes emergency steering assist (ESA), designed to enhance vehicle stability during an emergency evasive maneuver, as well as dynamic cruise control, which keeps distance from other vehicles down to 0 mph and can resume from a stop.

Lexus officials told Autoweek that pricing will be announced closer to the on sale date, with the cars arriving in dealerships this fall. For reference, today’s ES line starts at $40,000.
Lexus Shows the Revised, 2022 ES (autoweek.com)