Lexus: CT News

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
i agree with sarlacc - for maybe the second time ever.

do you realize how far these companies have come in terms of innovation? you think all of their funding is based on advertising??? p.s. recent inflated car prices are across the board - they are not limited to the luxury brands. you are naive to think the inflated prices derive internally.

BMWs push on leasing is largely in part to their outrageously high cost of maintenance. they are better off offering warranties for 36 mo. of 'ownership.' BMW is reducing their risk on covering repairs when the cars are leased for only 36 mo. you'll be surprised how customers get slapped with thousands of dollars worth of repairs right after warranty expires, even if the car was cleared in a service inspection only a few thousand miles before the warranty let up. its almost scandulous. do your research.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 09-19-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Safety Car

oh, and to further prove my point, BMW advertises 24 mo. leases moreso than just about any other brand. theres a reason for that.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm not "thinking" anything here. The comments I made about advertisement and leasing were directly from the article. It's not my opinion and I am not trying to pass it off as such. I'm refering to the article by Kate Linebaugh from the WSJ.

Toyota Motor Corp. is preparing a $1 billion marketing blitz to juice U.S. sales in the fourth quarter
The $1 billion marketing and advertising plan is 30% to 40% more than Toyota typically spends in the quarter
As part of its fourth-quarter push, Toyota will raise the projected resale value of its vehicles used in calculating monthly lease payments, said dealers briefed on the plan. That will enable Toyota to offer attractive rates at a time when some other auto makers have cut back on leasing.
The world's largest auto maker needs to turn around its North American business after acknowledging it expects to report a loss in its current fiscal year, which would be its second annual deficit in a row.

Last edited by VTEC Racer; 09-19-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
This coming from a 30 year old with over 26k posts on an Acura forum talking about XBOX 360...

Stop trying to ruin this thread with your petty insults. Stay on topic. If you can't offer anything to contribute to this thread other than instigating fights, then don't say anything at all.
Oh yes, ouch ouch ouch. I'm 30 and I have a xbox, because no one else on this forum my age or older has anything such as that.

Here, I'll contribute. You like to yammer about bimmer being the number 1 luxury car dealer in the world...

Not too hard. They've been around forever, they have a name, they have prestige.

Lexus...Lexus has been around since about 1991 IN NORTH AMERICA.

Lexus didn't even attempt to enter the world market until 2-3 years ago.

And where are you getting your info from that Lexus isn't doing anything to move up in the world? The LS ( especially the LS600) is a huge mark on the luxury flagship sedan.

As for your leasing comments...All you have to do is turn around and look at bmw. A car company that used to be known for their reliability 2 decades ago...now has a program to lease cars (the majority of their "sales") because they basically design the cars to last the life of the lease now.

Lexus vehicles have no problem retaining value. The RX line is probably one of the top selling 2nd hand market vehicles out there.

I'm not "thinking" anything here.
You're right you're not thinking. You have to have a brain of your own first.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
BMW is the number one luxury brand in the world. I don't think they would care much if they dethroned Lexus in the US. Lexus would have to go a loooong way, and I mean a REALLY long way, to pass BMW in worldwide sales (BMW would also have to be standing still, which they are not).

The article was a good one. Seems like Toyota is doing the same tactics as the Big 3 used to (inflate the value of the cars to offer better lease deals and invest a billion dollars on advertisement instead of actually using that money to make the cars better). Not a good tactic IMO when you are headed for a 2nd straight year of losses.
everytime you post something, it's like blah shit blah shit blah shit.

you have no idea...
Old 09-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

I'm not "thinking" anything here. The comments I made about advertisement and leasing were directly from the article. It's not my opinion and I am not trying to pass it off as such. I'm refering to the article by Kate Linebaugh from the WSJ.
are you a journalist?

your past theory is selecting only handful of facts taken from the article and using slander to misinterpret Toyota's intentions. i.e. increasing residuals and funding advertising - and your interpretation is that they are ONLY investing in advertising and nothing else, and that they are unfairly increasing leasing prices against fair market value.

good job, buddy

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 09-19-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Safety Car

just because Toyota is a family business doesnt make it corrupt. dont forget that Toyoda studied stateside at the no. 5. MBA program (babson). your japanese capitalist approach is a no go.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon

BMWs push on leasing is largely in part to their outrageously high cost of maintenance. they are better off offering warranties for 36 mo. of 'ownership.' BMW is reducing their risk on covering repairs when the cars are leased for only 36 mo.
BMW's new car warranty is the same whether you lease or buy? 4 years/ 50k miles, free service (oil changes etc) during that time. Lease vs. buy has nothing to do with the warranty.

Brand Maintenance Costs during the warranty period:

Acura
$970.75

Audi
$967.17

BMW
$0

Cadillac
$744.26

Infiniti
$649.40

Jaguar
$1112.53

Land Rover
$233.52

Lexus
$974.22

Lincoln
$922.14

Mercedes-Benz
$1086.60

Porsche
$1032.14

Saab
$385.29

Volvo
$918.93
Old 09-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Oh yes, ouch ouch ouch. I'm 30 and I have a xbox, because no one else on this forum my age or older has anything such as that.

Thanks for taking a break from your video games at 3:30 AM so you could write this for me. If you took my words as "ouch ouch" then thats your problem. You obviously think that there is something wrong with you being 30 years old and talking about XBox on an Acura forum. I never said there was ever anything wrong with it, but I guess you do.

Here, I'll contribute. You like to yammer about bimmer being the number 1 luxury car dealer in the world...

Yammer? I mentioned it once.

Not too hard. They've been around forever, they have a name, they have prestige.

Lexus...Lexus has been around since about 1991 IN NORTH AMERICA.

Lexus didn't even attempt to enter the world market until 2-3 years ago.

Your kidding, right? Lexus began sales in the U.S. in 1989 and began sales outside of the U.S. in 1990. Where did you get 2-3 years ago?

And where are you getting your info from that Lexus isn't doing anything to move up in the world? The LS ( especially the LS600) is a huge mark on the luxury flagship sedan.

I said Lexus hasn't done much to move more upmarket, I didn't say they weren't doing anything. Did I? The LS600 is expensive but it also doesn't sell. There is a reason why production on the car is almost zero. However, the last three brand-new models that Lexus has introduced (IS, IS-C, HS) are all moves downmarket. When you introduce a car that is cheaper than the cheapest car already in your lineup, that is called moving down-market. This hatchback thing is only more of a down-market move. What exactly are you having a hard time understanding?

As for your leasing comments...All you have to do is turn around and look at bmw. A car company that used to be known for their reliability 2 decades ago...now has a program to lease cars (the majority of their "sales") because they basically design the cars to last the life of the lease now.

My leasing comments were just a reiteration of what was said in the article. Maybe you should read it before blabbing nonsense. Nobody but you has mention Lexus leases here. Don't know why your even bringing it up.

Lexus vehicles have no problem retaining value. The RX line is probably one of the top selling 2nd hand market vehicles out there.

Who ever said they do have a problem retaining value?

You're right you're not thinking. You have to have a brain of your own first.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by JS + TL
everytime you post something, it's like blah shit blah shit blah shit.

you have no idea...
Then don't read my posts, let alone respond to them.

If your so full of insight and idea, then why don't you please share them with us and show everyone exactly how wrong everything I have been saying is.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda Fanboy

are you a journalist?

your past theory is selecting only handful of facts taken from the article and using slander to misinterpret Toyota's intentions. i.e. increasing residuals and funding advertising - and your interpretation is that they are ONLY investing in advertising and nothing else, and that they are unfairly increasing leasing prices against fair market value.

good job, buddy

Theory? Who is theorizing about anything here? How is posting facts from an article and not even making comments about those facts slander? I would have had to actually say something for me to slander what Toyota is doing. Maybe you were measuring the intensity of my mouse clicks or something

Did I ever say that they were ONLY investing in advertising and nothing else? Did I say that they were "unfairly" increasing fair market value? All I did was copy and paste from the article. Don't put words in my mouth so you can let off steam about whatever else your bitter about.

Maybe you should actually read what I wrote and then compare it to the article that you supposedly read. Maybe only then you will realize that what I said was a direct copy and paste.

Last edited by VTEC Racer; 09-19-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:17 PM
The Third Ball

Thanks for taking a break from your video games at 3:30 AM so you could write this for me. If you took my words as "ouch ouch" then thats your problem. You obviously think that there is something wrong with you being 30 years old and talking about XBox on an Acura forum. I never said there was ever anything wrong with it, but I guess you do.
Apparently you aren't even smart enough to recognize sarcasm.

By the way, 3:30AM is when I got home from work, you should try it sometime if you can even find a place that will hire special needs.

Yammer? I mentioned it once.
You don't shut up, so yeah, you yammer on...and on and on

Your kidding, right? Lexus began sales in the U.S. in 1989 and began sales outside of the U.S. in 1990. Where did you get 2-3 years ago?
You're right the ES250 debuted in 89. I couldnt remember the exact year hence I took a guess and prefaced it with "about"

I also said NORTH AMERICA...not just the US. You shouldnt slander other members for "not reading your posts" when clearly you can't do the same.

Global sales for Lexus started in 2005 in Japan and expanded to Europe (so 4 years instead of 2-3, I was ball park) Lexus is now in about 68 countries. But prior to 2005, North America.

Kinda like Acura is strictly in North America. [/quote]

I said Lexus hasn't done much to move more upmarket, I didn't say they weren't doing anything. Did I? The LS600 is expensive but it also doesn't sell. There is a reason why production on the car is almost zero. However, the last three brand-new models that Lexus has introduced (IS, IS-C, HS) are all moves downmarket. When you introduce a car that is cheaper than the cheapest car already in your lineup, that is called moving down-market. This hatchback thing is only more of a down-market move. What exactly are you having a hard time understanding?
I would say the LF-S concept is a huge step to move upmarket. Getting it production ready isn't too far off.

Production on any flagship sedan by any luxury marque isn't high. Thats just common knowledge. They are more expensive and they arent the "bread and butter" cars. The LS600 is the most expensive and its a hybrid which is still uncharted territory.

PS: The LS is one of the top selling flagship sedans in the US.

And your bitching about moving down markets? Lets look at bimmer shall we? The 1 series, the upcoming X1, the X3? Take your pic. BMW is moving down market as well...in the US, because cars such as the 318 hatch and now the 1 series hatch have been in europe for years as big sellers. Where is there recent big move to go upmarket? The new 7??? That was refresh to the cycle as with any car company or car design no matter who the maker.

My leasing comments were just a reiteration of what was said in the article. Maybe you should read it before blabbing nonsense. Nobody but you has mention Lexus leases here. Don't know why your even bringing it up.
So youre saying you didnt mention lexus leases when you vomited what you read in the article in to your post? Thats funny, because its pretty clear you did.

Who ever said they do have a problem retaining value?
Again, you did when you decided to write out the ideals you agreed with from the article you read.

AND NOW you are trying to back pedal, pull non-existant facts out of your ass, and lump in several different markets together to form some kind of incoherent argument. The US market doesnt reflect the European market which doesnt reflect the Japanese market, etc etc etc.

Keep it coming, everyone in this thread knows you're an idiot and you're the only blind enough to think people might feel different.

Last edited by Sarlacc; 09-19-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:18 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by zeroday
BMW's new car warranty is the same whether you lease or buy? 4 years/ 50k miles, free service (oil changes etc) during that time. Lease vs. buy has nothing to do with the warranty.

But we do recognize bimmers isn't "free" the cost is built into the car. Much like Audi did when they offered $0 maintenance.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda Fanboy

Apparently you aren't even smart enough to recognize sarcasm.

I wish I was as smart as you so I could be able to read sarcasm on the internet.

By the way, 3:30AM is when I got home from work, you should try it sometime if you can even find a place that will hire special needs.

You don't shut up, so yeah, you yammer on...and on and on

The guy with over 26k posts is telling the guy with barely 500 posts that he doesn't shut up.

You're right the ES250 debuted in 89. I couldnt remember the exact year hence I took a guess and prefaced it with "about"

I also said NORTH AMERICA...not just the US. You shouldnt slander other members for "not reading your posts" when clearly you can't do the same.

Again, your wrong. Lexus did not debut in NORTH AMERICA. Lexus debuted in the U.S. only. NA is referring to the U.S. and Canada. Lexus entered the Canadian market in 1990.

Global sales for Lexus started in 2005 in Japan and expanded to Europe (so 4 years instead of 2-3, I was ball park) Lexus is now in about 68 countries. But prior to 2005, North America.

Again, you are wrong. It really doesn't take much research to find out that information. How ignorant you must be if you think Lexus debuted in Europe AFTER Japan and was only in North America prior to 2005. Lexus has been in Europe for almost TWENTY YEARS.

Kinda like Acura is strictly in North America.

Acura is also in Mexico and China, making it NOT strictly in North America. I'm guess geography wasn't your best subject.

I would say the LF-S concept is a huge step to move upmarket. Getting it production ready isn't too far off.

The key word here is concept.

Production on any flagship sedan by any luxury marque isn't high. Thats just common knowledge. They are more expensive and they arent the "bread and butter" cars. The LS600 is the most expensive and its a hybrid which is still uncharted territory.

What is so uncharted about putting a hybrid in a large car? Especially when that hybrid gets worst highway mileage than the non-hybrid model.

PS: The LS is one of the top selling flagship sedans in the US.

It is also the cheapest flagship sedan compared to the other top brands. The S550 and LS460 have an almost $20,000 difference in MSRP. Yet, the S550 is still outselling the LS460 in YTD sales.

And your bitching about moving down markets? Lets look at bimmer shall we? The 1 series, the upcoming X1, the X3? Take your pic. BMW is moving down market as well...in the US, because cars such as the 318 hatch and now the 1 series hatch have been in europe for years as big sellers. Where is there recent big move to go upmarket? The new 7??? That was refresh to the cycle as with any car company or car design no matter who the maker.

Once again, I wasn't the first person to bring up BMW. Someone else did when they were boasting about BMW being close to knocking off Lexus in the U.S. Clearly your are singling me out in your attacks.

So youre saying you didnt mention lexus leases when you vomited what you read in the article in to your post? Thats funny, because its pretty clear you did.

Read my posts. If you can find one post with me mentioning anything about Lexus leases, then I will eat my words. If I did vomit anything, clearly you ate it right up.

Again, you did when you decided to write out the ideals you agreed with from the article you read.

How can facts be agreed with? Facts are facts. Opinions can be agreed with, not facts. Do you know the difference between the two?

AND NOW you are trying to back pedal, pull non-existant facts out of your ass, and lump in several different markets together to form some kind of incoherent argument. The US market doesnt reflect the European market which doesnt reflect the Japanese market, etc etc etc.

I'm not back pedaling on anything. In fact, I have no idea what you are even talking about here. You do realize that this is the automotive section of the ACURA forum, not the XBOX section? Did you get lost some how? What "non-existent fact" have I presented to you? What correct fact have you presented to me?

Keep it coming, everyone in this thread knows you're an idiot and you're the only blind enough to think people might feel different.

I guess it takes one to know one then?

If you want to continue the personal attacks, PM me. Don't do it in a public forum like a girl. It's a waste.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:03 PM
The Third Ball

I love how the little child who has been chiding everyone for their personal against him has been the same one attacking as well.

PS do your research. Lexus first debuted outside NA in Japan in 2005. Followed by Europe. You remain to be an idiot.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

BMWs push on leasing is largely in part to their outrageously high cost of maintenance. they are better off offering warranties for 36 mo. of 'ownership.' BMW is reducing their risk on covering repairs when the cars are leased for only 36 mo. you'll be surprised how customers get slapped with thousands of dollars worth of repairs right after warranty expires, even if the car was cleared in a service inspection only a few thousand miles before the warranty let up. its almost scandulous. do your research.

OK i gotta ask, where did you get that info from?

Like Zeroday said, regardless if the car is leased or financed, it still has full warranty AND free maintenance for 4yrs/50k miles.

Say you buy a preowned BMW that just came off a 24month lease then you still have the remainder of the warranty and free maintenance still valid.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure the morons will be lining up for this one.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,789 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
I'm sure the morons will be lining up for this one.
Says the guy with that bumper...

Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Fahrvergnόgen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I'm calling Bullshit on that Land Rover maintenance too ...

Unless you never need to do maintenance because it's always in for repairs

I keed.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Honda Fanboy

Official pics of CT200H

Looks like a Mazda IMO.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
It looks like a marshmallow to me. None of it fits cohesively.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Interior is pretty good.
Front end is nice.

Side profile
Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
Lexus: CT200h news

Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

From here: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...rid-auto_shows

Lexus showed the LF-Ch concept at last fall’s Frankfurt motor show, and now the company is showing the production version, the CT200h. The model is making its world debut at the 2010 Geneva auto show.

The ‘h’ in CT200h, of course, stands for ‘hybrid.’ There will be no gasoline-only version of the car; it will only be available with a gasoline-electric system, mating up a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine with a "powerful" electric motor and a nickel-metal hydride battery pack. A continuously variable transmission shunts the power to the front wheels.

The individual outputs of the electric and gas portions as well as the combined system output remain unspecified, but the presence of the 1.8-liter has us a bit worried. That's the size of the four-cylinder in the Prius, which makes 98 hp and contributes to a total system output of 134 hp. The CT200h is going to have to produce more ponies than that in order to deliver the promised "dynamic driving experience," as well as provide a credible challenge to the CT's competition, including the Audi A3 and BMW 1-series. So we hope for something at least near the 187 hp churned out by the North American HS250h sedan, in which a 147-hp, 2.4-liter engine is mated with a 105-kW (141-hp) electric motor.

Lexus says the CT200h was "designed with the European market in mind," a statement backed up by the five-door layout. There are four driver-selectable driving modes available in the CT200h: Normal, Eco, EV, and Sport. In Normal mode, the car can operate on battery-only power up to speeds of 28 mph, while EV mode forces the car to rely only on battery power for 1.2-mile stretches. Switching the car to Eco dulls throttle response and optimizes the climate-control system to save more fuel, while Sport mode tightens up the steering, ups throttle aggressiveness, and lowers the stability-control threshold.

The interior is lined with the usual leather upholstery and metallic accents, and an eight-inch LCD screen will display infotainment functions. Lexus's computer-mouse-style Remote Touch controller lives on the center console. The CT is 170.1 inches long, 69.5 inches wide, and 56.3 inches tall, and there are 102.4 inches between the axles. For comparison, a Prius is 5.5 inches longer, 0.8 inch narrower, and 2.4 inches taller, while riding on a 3.9-inch-longer wheelbase.

Lexus is touting the CT200h as the “first full hybrid vehicle in the premium compact segment,” but that statement only applies to Europe, which doesn’t get the HS250h or its Toyota Sai sibling. The CT200h goes on sale this fall elsewhere throughout the world, and will show up in the U.S. in early 2011 with a price tag starting around $27K.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
lowered RDX!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:21 AM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
ill pass....
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll pass. much better options out there.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Looks like they dolled up the Toyota Matrix.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post Coming to America

A week before the New York Auto Show begins its media previews, Lexus has released more details on its CT 200h premium compact hybrid, which it says will go on sale in the U.S. in early 2011.

Widespread reports (which we joined, unfortunately) had previously quoted a spokesman as saying Lexus had "no plans" to bring the CT model to the States. It appeared that the small hatchback would be restricted to Europe, where buyers actually like hatchbacks.

New York surprise
Then, three weeks ago, came the surprise announcement that the CT would debut at the 2010 New York Auto Show. Now, Lexus has filled in the blanks on the car, which originally appeared as the LF-Ch concept shown last fall at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

The new Lexus CT five-door hatchback, which hasn't yet been designated a 2011 or 2012 model, is just 170 inches long. That's a full 15 inches shorter than the 2010 Lexus HS 250h four-door sedan, and it's almost an inch narrower as well.

Lexus is betting that buyers will opt for premium compact hatchbacks if they have sporty handling and hybrid fuel efficiency. The CT will compete with the five-door Audi A3 and two smaller but stylish three-door hatches: the 2010 Mini Cooper and the 2011 Fiat 500.

Unlike the somewhat staid HS sedan, the CT hatchback is meant to offer "an attitude and driving dynamic unlike any other Lexus hybrid," said group VP and general manager Mark Templin. It is aimed at "eco-conscious, young consumers."

Slingshot window line
Lexus says the CT's styling combines sportiness with elegance. Its steeply raked windshield, a long aerodynamic roofline, and a falling rear roof edge adding a sense of movement to a short vehicle.

The Lexus "slingshot" side window graphic, and short front and rear overhangs, definitely give the car more of a performance attitude than the HS sedan, which can border on the slab-sided and pudgy from some angles.

New platform

Lexus says the CT was built "to combine superior handling agility and a sporty driving experience with the ride comfort expected of any Lexus," while at the same time it promises "new levels of refinement, sophistication, and attention to detail" for the CT 200h.

The CT 200h is built on a new platform, according to the company, using MacPherson struts up front and a dedicated double-wishbone and trailing-arm rear suspension design.

A unique feature in its class, Lexus says, is the front and rear body-damping system, designed to absorb and minimize undesirable vibrations through the body structure. This is the first Lexus vehicle to use such a system.

Smallest Lexus engine
Its Hybrid Synergy Drive system includes the smallest engine ever used in a Lexus, the same 1.8-liter four as in the 2010 Toyota Prius, unlike the more powerful 2.5-liter engine in the HS 250h sedan.

The system offers the usual mile or so of electric-only running, under light acceleration, at speeds up to 28 mph. Lexus did not provide power, torque, or fuel economy figures for the CT 200h.

In addition to the standard EV, Eco, and Normal modes, the CT 200h offers a Sport mode as well, which provides more responsive throttle response and quicker turns from the Electronic Power Steering (EPS).

Safety systems salad

The CT 200h offers an alphabet soup of safety systems, including anti-lock brakes (ABS) with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), a wheel-slip limiting system called TRAC, and vehicle stability control (VSC).

It also offers optional adaptive cruise control with a Pre-Collision System (PCS) that alerts the driver if a crash is imminent, retracts the front seat belts, and prepares the brakes for maximum pressure as soon as the driver hits the pedal.

The CT has no fewer than eight airbags: dual-stage frontal bags in the steering wheel and dashboard, knee bags and side curtains for both front riders, and side airbags mounted in the front seats to protect passengers in certain severe front or side impacts.

Standard features
Like all Lexus vehicles, the CT 200h offers an impressive array of standard features, including a tilting and telescoping steering wheel, eight-way power driver's seat, the Safety Connect cellular service, and keyless entry.

The audio system includes six speakers, a CD player, auxiliary and USB jacks, iPod integration, Bluetooth audio connectivity, and an XM satellite radio receiver, all as standard.

Options include a moonroof and a navigation system with integrated backup camera. No pricing for the Lexus CT 200h has been announced.

Joining the HS sedan

Lexus launched the 2010 HS 250h four-door dedicated hybrid sedan last summer in the U.S. It has sold moderately well despite mixed reviews. (It was also included in the braking-software update recall that Toyota announced for its 2010 Prius model.)

We concluded in our drive report that the HS offered an uneasy blend of hybrid and luxury features, though we warmed up to the HS by the end of our test. We rather hope the CT proves somewhat more engaging than its larger sibling.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Fahrvergnόgen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I'm 38 and I have a PS3 and two XB360s. I refuse to grow up.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
the more I look at it, the more it gets.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
lots of stupid in here
Old 03-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
+1.

Oh the horrors - Lexus will now have three FWD sedans in their lineup and one of them is going down market and wait for it......below 30K.

Where's sicklex when you need to rib him about this. I wonder which sales category he will put this in?

Last edited by biker; 03-23-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Honda Fanboy

Lexus CT200h U.S. Press Release

Cliff's Notes: Same engine as the Prius, same 10-second 0-60 as the Prius, but a lot less M.P.G. compared to the Prius. All this available with FWD and auto/CVT transmission only with a top track-speed of 112 M.P.H.

You want proof of how important the 2011 Lexus CT 200 is to the company? Look no further than the eight press releases totaling 11,987 words that you'll find after the jump. We received a brief ride-along in the hybrid hatch not long ago in Europe, before they'd even take the tape off the logos, and found it full of promise. Lexus is determined to let you know it will keep that promise and pledges even more.

Total output has been pegged at 134 horsepower, with 98 hp coming from the 1.8-liter VVT-i four-cylinder gas engine and 80 hp provided by the electric motor. From a standstill, it will take 9.8 seconds to reach 60 miles per hour. Ease up on the gas a bit and the estimated EPA rating is 42 miles per gallon. A new suspension with aluminum gubbins and low-friction goodies designed specifically for this car features MacPherson struts up front with double wishbones in back, tuned for "spirited" handling. An aluminum hood and tailgate help lower the center of gravity and the curb weight.

Inside, the cockpit has been built around the driver, and the eco-goodness goes beyond the Lexus Hybrid Drive: the audio system is energy efficient and boasts bamboo charcoal speakers. The pilot can choose his particular driving mood, Dynamic or Relaxing, and one of four driving modes: EV, ECO, Normal or Sport.

There's oh so much more, which you'll find after the jump. And if there it yet more to learn, we'll discover it at the Paris Motor Show. Your primer is in the press release after the jump and the gallery of high-res photos below.
* Front and rear lateral performance damper system provide reduced vibrations
* All-new fully-independent, double wishbone rear suspension for superior ride comfort and handling
* Handling and steering feel for a spirited drive
Torrance, Calif. – Sept. 10, 2010 – The new CT 200h introduces Lexus' unique synthesis of unparalleled quality, sophistication and high technology to the premium compact segment for the first time. It combines revolutionary, full hybrid drive with the comfort, convenience, and carefully considered drive interaction that lies at the heart of the Lexus ownership experience.

The CT 200h features a bespoke suspension design which combines a proven MacPherson strut front system with a new, fully-independent, double wishbone rear suspension for comfort and handling stability.

Numerous elements of the front MacPherson strut suspension system have been exclusively developed for the CT 200h, including the coil spring, shock absorber, bump stop, upper support, upper and lower insulators, a lightweight steering knuckle, hub and bearing, and a new anti-sway bar for increased rigidity.

Unsprung weight has been minimized and shock absorber damping response enhanced through the use of aluminum steering knuckles and stabilizer links, and lightweight lower arms, hub bearings and shock absorbers.

The shock absorbers themselves feature low friction valves, seals and oil, further improving damping response. The adoption of lateral force control coil springs also reduces suspension friction, enhancing ride comfort. The steering gearbox mounts are connected directly to the front suspension member, ensuring a linear steering feel and enhancing the CT 200h's straight line stability.

The lightweight, large diameter, front anti-sway bar helps improve control, braking and maneuverability of the CT 200h. It features a ball joint link strut connection for excellent rigidity, and a fluorine resin coating between the bushings and the bar itself reduces friction and further enhances ride quality.

A new, fully-independent, double wishbone rear suspension incorporates a lightweight trailing arm, and positions the coil spring and shock absorber separately to minimize system intrusion into the loadspace floor. Suspension geometry including camber angle, toe angle and arm layout has been optimized to offer excellent handling stability and ride comfort.

Fabricated in stamped steel to combine light weight with high rigidity, the system features numerous exclusively developed components, including the coil spring, shock absorber, upper support, bump stop, hub and bearing, and anti-sway bar.

As with the front suspension, the shock absorbers incorporate low friction valves, seals and oil to improve damping response. Rebound springs have been adopted to optimize lean posture when cornering and urethane bump stops combine excellent rigidity and ride comfort. Low resistance rear axle hub bearings are used to help improve fuel economy, and a resin aerodynamic cover has been fitted to the front of the second lower arm to help direct underbody air flow, enhancing both handling and fuel economy.

The rear anti-sway bar bushings feature resin spacers and optimized rubber characteristics for greater support and stiffness and, as with the front suspension, a fluorine resin coating between the bushings and the bar itself reduces friction and further enhances ride quality.

The CT 200h features a unique, front and rear lateral performance damping system that is a first for Lexus. It's designed to absorb and minimize undesirable body vibrations, offer a more linear steering feel and further contribute to ride comfort.

In lieu of conventional fixed bracing, this system features a front performance damper connecting the left and right front suspension towers, and a rear damper connecting the left and right sides of the rear lower back panel.

With a construction similar to that of a typical monotube suspension damper, the front and rear performance damper assemblies differ according to the variations in body rigidity, noise and vibration of their surroundings, optimizing their ability to absorb body torsion, flexure and fine vibrations. Their installation has reduced vehicle floor vibrations across a wide frequency range, reduced body flex through a 15 percent drop in left and right front suspension tower displacement, and even lowered audio system white noise levels.

In combination, front and rear suspension and performance damping systems complement the new CT 200h's distinct driving modes, resulting in excellent ride comfort essential to everyday driving with the handling agility for a more dynamic driving experience. Lexus will display the CT 200h at the Paris Motor Show.

Lexus CT 200h Abridged
CHAPTER 0: ABRIDGED
The new CT 200h represents the synthesis of five key Lexus attributes which offer customers an unprecedented experience in premium compact motoring: Lexus Hybrid Drive and the extremely rigorous set of development standards known as the Lexus MUSTs; a unique driving character; the dynamic yet elegant styling inherent in the latest realization of Lexus' L-finesse design philosophy; Lexus' outstanding manufacturing quality and attention to detail; and the renowned customer service which lies at the heart of the Lexus ownership experience.

Lexus Hybrid Drive Powertrain
The CT 200h's Lexus Hybrid Drive features a unique energy management system. Through the application of brand-specific engineering solutions and software tuning, Lexus engineers have focused on enhancing both the environmental and driving performance of the full hybrid series/parallel system, as well as its low NVH levels.

With a total system output of 134 hp (100 kW), the CT 200h will accelerate seamlessly from 0-60 mph in 9.8 seconds. Conversely, the CT 200h boasts remarkably low fuel consumption – a combined EPA estimated fuel economy rating of 42 mpg.

Lexus Hybrid Drive generates significantly less NOx and zero particulate emissions compared to an equivalent diesel engined vehicle. Moreover, when operating in a switchable EV mode, it generates zero NOx and particulate emissions, driving for up to one mile at speeds of up to 28 mph.

Further enhancing the Lexus Hybrid Drive system's outstanding environmental credentials, the CT 200h incorporates numerous additional energy saving and environmentally-conscientious measures. These include LED lighting, an energy-efficient audio system amplifier and bamboo charcoal speakers, and the use of bio-sourced materials.

Dynamic Package
With a highly-focused driver's environment, the new Lexus CT 200h has been developed to combine superior handling and a dynamic driving experience with the ride comfort expected of any Lexus.

Key to the new premium compact full hybrid's sporting driving experience is its highly focused driver's cockpit. It features a low driver's seat with enhanced lateral and lumbar support, a sporting, wide grip steering wheel and a driver-focused instrument binnacle housing large, high-visibility, triple dials.

The CT 200h benefits from a highly modified existing platform incorporating numerous, exclusively developed body, chassis and powertrain control system engineering applications designed to offer customers a choice of two distinct driving moods – Dynamic, or Relaxing - in conjunction with the full hybrid's EV, ECO, NORMAL and SPORT, 'on-demand' drive modes.

Particular attention has been paid to promoting superior handling stability through the high structural rigidity of the bodyshell, a low center of gravity and the minimizing of the yaw inertia moment through the use of an aluminum hood, tailgate and bumper reinforcements.

Introduced for the first time on a Lexus in this segment, a unique lateral performance damper system has been designed to help absorb and minimize body vibrations, giving a linear steering feel and further enhanced ride comfort.

The Lexus CT 200h features a bespoke suspension design which combines a proven, MacPherson strut front system with a new, fully-independent double wishbone architecture to the rear, offering superior levels of ride comfort, handling and package efficiency.

Design
The Lexus CT 200h introduces a powerful new evolution of Lexus' unique L finesse design philosophy to the heart of the premium compact segment.

Marrying refined elegance to sporting dynamism, the CT 200h has a highly distinctive, sharp-edged, resolute appearance, generating a unique aura which immediately sets it apart from segment rivals. With a powerful new Lexus frontal design, sweeping lines which mimic the natural flow of wind over and around the bodywork and a purposeful, wide track stance, the new full hybrid is the perfect expression of compact precision and power.

The CT 200h's efficient and elegant cabin combines superior ergonomics, advanced Human/Machine Interface technologies and spacious passenger accommodation with hand-crafted feel, premium quality materials to create an outstandingly refined driving environment.

Its efficient package enables front and rear seat passenger accommodation that is spacious and a 14.3 cu. ft. luggage capacity is comparable to any vehicle its size.

Safety
The new premium compact full hybrid is equipped with a comprehensive range of active, passive and pedestrian impact safety features in the entry luxury segment.

The CT 200h offers an optional pre-emptive, Pre-Collision Safety system incorporating Adaptive Cruise Control. Eight airbags including driver and front passenger knee airbags and Whiplash Injury Lessening (WIL) front seats are fitted as standard, and an upgraded Electronically Controlled Braking-Regeneration system (ECB-R) incorporates Anti-Lock brakes (ABS), Brake Assist (BA), Traction Control (TRAC) and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and a hybrid version of the brake override system, Smart Stop Technology.

Lexus CT 200h Introduction
CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION
Lexus CT 200h – The Quiet Revolution

* Environmentally sensitive, with no compromise on refinement and driving pleasure
* Low emissions with almost no NOx and PM
The Lexus CT 200h marks the introduction of the first, and only, full hybrid vehicle to the core of the premium compact segment.

The CT 200h is the new gateway into Lexus. It introduces the company's unique synthesis of quality, sophistication and high technology to the premium compact segment for the first time, and will bring a younger group of customers to the brand.

Specifically designed and developed with the European market in mind, the all-new CT 200h's size, packaging, full hybrid technology and ultra-low emissions perfectly meet the requirements of a young, highly discerning, environmentally-conscientious customer base. Yet it offers no compromise on the refinement and driving pleasure which hallmark the progressive luxury inherent in every Lexus.

The new CT 200h represents the synthesis of five key Lexus attributes which offer customers an unprecedented experience in premium compact motoring: Lexus Hybrid Drive and the Lexus MUSTs; a unique driving character; the dynamic yet elegant styling inherent in the latest realization of Lexus' L-finesse design philosophy; Lexus' outstanding manufacturing quality and attention to detail; and the renowned customer service which lies at the heart of the Lexus ownership experience.

The CT 200h's Lexus Hybrid Drive system has been developed in accordance with an extremely rigorous set of development standards known as the Lexus MUSTs. These unique standards include more than 500 items that set strict guidelines for raising the dynamic and environmental performance of the new full hybrid.

The Lexus MUSTs also set NVH standards to achieve the levels of quietness and durability expected of the Lexus brand, and even apply to static factors such as the appearance, tactile quality, sound quality, and the performance and sensitivity of controls.

With a highly modified existing platform incorporating numerous, exclusively developed body, chassis and Lexus Hybrid Drive powertrain control system engineering applications, the CT 200h has been designed to offer drivers a segment-unique choice of Dynamic and Relaxing driving moods.

Combining the low center of gravity with a high-rigidity bodyshell, a unique lateral performance damper system and new double wishbone rear suspension, the new full hybrid driving experience is characterized by high speed stability, smooth, precise handling, rewarding agility and the ride comfort expected of any Lexus.

The dynamic driving experience is further reinforced with a highly focused driver's environment. While offering a uniquely efficient, elegant and spacious cabin design, the CT 200h also features a low ergonomical driving position.

Marrying refined elegance to sporting dynamism, the CT 200h is a new embodiment of the Lexus L-finesse design philosophy. With a powerful new Lexus frontal design, sweeping lines which mimic the natural flow of wind over and around the bodywork and a purposeful, wide track stance, the new full hybrid is the perfect expression of compact precision and power.

The CT 200h is built at Kokura plant where, in 2008, the plant started operations as the world's first factory dedicated to hybrid production. The plant maintains high standards of manufacturing quality through the high-level fusion of innovative production technology and the skills of Lexus master craftsmen.

Entering production at the end of 2010, the CT 200h will be available in the first quarter of 2011.

Lexus CT 200h Hybrid Drive
LEXUS HYBRID DRIVE POWERTRAIN
* Unique Lexus Energy Management System
* 1.8-liter 98 hp (73kW VVT-i) gas engine and 80 hp (60 kW) electric motor for total system power of 134 hp (100kW)
* Low emissions, remarkably low fuel consumption and almost no NOx or particulate emissions.
* EV, ECO and SPORT 'on-demand' drive modes for distinct, Dynamic or Relaxing driving moods
* Additional Energy Saving and Environmental Performance Measures
Marking the introduction of Lexus' second generation hybrid technology, the new CT 200h reinforces the company's clear leadership in the development of full hybrid drive systems.

With many manufacturers just starting to produce their first hybrid, Lexus hybrids come from a 10-year heritage of experience in full hybrid powertrains. With the CT 200h joining the GS 450h, HS 250h, LS 600h L and RX 450h, the company has an unrivalled breadth of Lexus full hybrid models available.

The CT 200h's Lexus Hybrid Drive features a unique energy management system which equips the new full hybrid with remarkably quiet operation, seamless acceleration and the performance customers expect from a luxury vehicle. Conversely, it delivers superior fuel efficiency and excellent NOx and particulate emissions.

Further enhancing the Lexus Hybrid Drive system's outstanding environmental credentials, the CT 200h design incorporates numerous additional energy saving and environmentally-conscientious measures such as LED lighting, a lightweight, energy-efficient audio system amplifier and bamboo charcoal speakers; and the use of bio-sourced materials.

Lexus Hybrid Drive Unique Energy Management System
Through the application of specific engineering solutions, and a unique energy management system incorporating bespoke software tuning, Lexus engineers have enhanced both the environmental and driving performance of the Lexus Hybrid Drive system, as well as its low NVH levels.

With a total system output of 134 hp (100kW), the CT 200h will deliver performance on par with rivals positioned at the very heart of the premium compact segment. Conversely, offering significant cost of ownership benefits, the new Lexus full hybrid targets class-leading emissions and also generates significantly less NOx and particulate emissions than an equivalent diesel engine vehicle.

Engine control and throttle responses have been tuned to deliver an engaging, dynamic driving experience, while the minimal Noise, Vibration and Harshness levels generated by the CT 200h's full hybrid powertrain reinforce the remarkable quietness inherent in the DNA of every Lexus model.

Lexus Hybrid Drive System Architecture
The new CT 200h is a full hybrid, offering all the benefits of series/parallel powertrain architecture. Capable of operating in gas and electric modes alone, as well as a combination of both, its Lexus Hybrid Drive system delivers the energy-saving benefits of a series hybrid combined with the performance benefits of a parallel hybrid.

Lexus Hybrid Drive equips the CT 200h with impressive, seamless acceleration and remarkably quiet operation, yet returns high fuel efficiency and excellent emissions.

The CT 200h's hybrid system features a 1.8-liter VVT-i gas engine, a powerful electric motor, a generator, a high performance Ni-MH battery, a power control unit, and a power split device which employs a planetary gear set to combine and re-allocate power from the engine, electric motor and generator according to operational requirements.

The electric motor, generator and power split device are all housed in one lightweight, highly compact transmission casing directly comparable in size to that of a conventional gearbox. Drive to the front wheels is provided by the full hybrid system's seamless, shift-by-wire, Electronically Controlled continuously Variable Transmission (ECVT).

The electric motor works in tandem with the gas engine to boost acceleration and power the driven wheels alone when the CT 200h is operating in EV mode.

During deceleration and under braking, the electric motor acts as high-output generator to effect regenerative braking, optimizing energy management in the Lexus Hybrid Drive system by recovering kinetic energy (normally wasted as heat under braking and deceleration) as electrical energy for storage in the high performance battery.

Moreover, when operating in a switchable EV mode, the new Lexus full hybrid generates zero NOx and particulate emissions, driving for up to one mile at speeds of up to 28 mph.

Performance
In combination, the Lexus Hybrid Drive system's petrol engine and electric motor generate a total system power output of 134 hp (100kW). Via an ECVT, the CT 200h will accelerate seamlessly from 0-60 mph in 9.8 seconds , and reach a maximum track speed of 112 mph. Conversely, the CT 200h boasts remarkably low fuel consumption -a combined EPA estimated fuel economy rating of 42 mpg.

1.8-liter Atkinson Cycle Engine
The lightweight, highly compact, four-cylinder, 16-valve, DOHC, 1798 cc Atkinson Cycle gas engine generates 98 hp (73kW) at 5,200 rpm.

Combined with a cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, the adoption of the Atkinson Cycle offers significant gains in fuel efficiency and the reduction of emissions.

In conventional four-cycle gas engines, fuel enrichment is sometimes necessary to cool the exhaust gases, preventing degradation or destruction of the catalytic converters. In an Atkinson Cycle engine, compression and expansion are not symmetrical, and the valves close late, delaying compression. This creates a high expansion ratio for less compression, reducing intake and exhaust energy losses and converting combustion energy to engine power more effectively. As a result, the exhaust temperature is lower than that of conventional engines.

Via a stainless steel exhaust manifold, EGR reintroduces precisely metered exhaust gas -cooled from 1,292°F to 266°F into the intake system, further reducing engine operating temperatures, whilst also reducing engine pumping losses through a reduction in intake vacuum pressure.

Together, these technologies minimize situations when fuel enrichment is necessary to protect the catalytic converter from overheating damage, thereby improving fuel economy and lowering emissions.

To improve cold weather fuel economy and cabin comfort, the engine heat management system combines a heat recovery system with an electric water pump. To reduce mechanical losses, an electric system replaces the water pump drive belt. The adoption of an electric water pump not only controls the coolant flow rate with greater precision, but also allows for the use of both air-conditioning and heating without the engine running, all of which contributes to greater fuel efficiency.

In addition, via a valve built into the exhaust assembly, a smaller, lighter, more efficient, exhaust heat recovery system redirects exhaust gases to heat up the engine coolant at start up. As well as allowing for a more rapid delivery of effective cabin heating, this system improves hybrid system efficiency and fuel economy by significantly reducing engine warm up times, allowing it to be shut off earlier for longer electric motor-only operation, particularly in cold weather.

The 1.8-liter engine features numerous further enhancements to both improve performance and minimize fuel consumption and emissions. Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) helps boost response levels across the entire rev range by varying the air-fuel intake and exhaust valve timing to suit the conditions at any given time. As well as improving torque at low and medium engine speeds, the system also reduces emissions and enhances fuel efficiency.

The engine also features roller rocker arm valve-train control, a resin intake manifold with an optimized port configuration, a highly efficient, taper squish combustion chamber design and 12-hole, atomizing, long nozzle injectors. Thin, long reach spark plugs contribute to enhanced anti-knocking performance, and lower tension piston rings, reduced piston friction. A standing oil jet for piston cooling and a stainless steel pipe exhaust manifold further enhance engine efficiency. In combination, these advanced technologies further contribute to improved power output with reductions in both fuel consumption and emissions.

Engine NVH
Ultra-low Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) characteristics are one of the key attributes of Lexus Hybrid Drive, and particular attention has been paid to minimizing engine noise and vibration. The rigidity of engine parts including the cylinder block and crank case has been optimized through in-depth Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) analysis. A highly rigid, ribbed aluminum cylinder head cover combines light weight with reduced noise and vibration.

The engine itself is mounted on a four-point suspension system with mounting rubber characteristics optimized for the suppression of noise and vibration. And a two-step, dynamic damper is integrated within the engine mount to further minimize noise and vibration generated, as well as reducing engine start/stop shock.

Hybrid Transaxle
Housing the electric motor, the electric generator, the power split device and the motor speed reduction device in one lightweight, highly compact transmission casing directly comparable in size to that of a conventional gearbox, the transaxle lies at the heart of the Lexus Hybrid Drive system.

The full hybrid drive system's seamless Electronically-Controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (ECVT) is controlled by Shift-by-Wire technology, using an electronic shift lever system. The shift lever itself is designed to always return to its 'home' position when released, and the shift position can be checked on the shift position indicator integrated within the driver's instrument panel.

Adjacent to the shift lever, a parking switch with integral indicator light is used to engage or release a parking lock mechanism within the transmission gearing. The parking lock is automatically deactivated when driving off, and automatically re-engages when the car is switched off.

Numerous measures have been adopted to reduce component noise and energy losses, further lowering hybrid system fuel consumption. A highly-advanced, internal gear machining process offers enhanced planetary ring gear precision, minimizing transmission noise. The lubrication system has been designed to reduce oil agitation losses and transaxle component friction has been significantly reduced through the adoption of tapered bearings instead of ball bearings.

80 hp (60 kW) Electric Motor
The high performance, permanent magnet, synchronous 80 hp (60 kW) electric motor works in tandem with the gas engine to boost acceleration and power the driven wheels alone when the CT 200h is operating in EV mode. During regenerative braking, the motor also acts as a high-output generator, recovering kinetic energy as electrical energy to charge the system battery.

Air cooled, the motor generates a maximum 152 lb.-ft. of torque from zero rpm, available torque being boosted through a reduction gear device in the transaxle. Maximum drive voltage amplification is 650V DC. However, under ordinary driving conditions, unless maximum output is required, the motor is driven at an unamplified voltage whenever possible to enhance fuel efficiency.

Generator
As with the electric motor, the generator is also of the AC synchronous type. The generator performs numerous functions within the Lexus Hybrid Drive system.

Because the system has no starter motor, the generator is used to start the petrol gas engine. Under normal driving conditions, engine output is divided according to system requirements to both drive the wheels and power the generator which, via the Power Control Unit (PCU), drives the electric motors and simultaneously charges the high-voltage battery. Moreover, in order to optimize engine speed control for maximum full hybrid system fuel efficiency, engine speed is also controlled by the generator.

When its operation is not required by the hybrid drive system, the generator stops the engine. However, if the CT 200h runs under electric motor power alone for sufficient distance to necessitate battery charging, the generator will start the engine, which itself provides the power for the generator to charge the battery.

High Output Battery
Using proven and reliable nickel-metal hydride technology, the Lexus Hybrid Drive system's 202V, 36 DIN hp (27 kW) battery allows the new CT 200h to operate in EV mode, driving under electric motor power alone. Located beneath the rear loadspace floor, the fan-cooled battery pack size has been minimized to reduced impact on cabin accommodation.

Power Control Unit
Similar in size to a 12 V battery, the Lexus Hybrid Drive system's Power Control Unit (PCU) consists of:

* A voltage boost converter, which boosts electric motor, generator and battery voltage to increase hybrid system power output;
* a highly compact inverter for the motor/generator, which converts the DC power from the battery into 650V AC power for driving the electric motor and, occasionally, the generator;
* and a DC/DC converter, which reduces the high voltage of the 202V system battery pack to 14V, supplying power to the accessory systems and charging the auxiliary battery.
Lexus Hybrid Drive in Operation
Over the course of any journey, the Lexus Hybrid Drive system operates in several different modes to maximize the CT 200h's overall efficiency: At rest, the engine stops automatically to conserve fuel. Under operating conditions of low engine efficiency such as start up and low to mid-range speeds, the vehicle runs on the electric motor alone, thus eradicating NOx and particulate emissions.

Under normal driving conditions, power allocation is constantly adjusted between engine and electric motor to combine optimum performance with maximum fuel efficiency. Via an Electronically Controlled Braking-Regeneration (ECB-R) system, the electric motor acts as high-output generator during deceleration and under braking to effect regenerative braking, optimizing energy management in the Lexus Hybrid Drive system by recovering kinetic energy (normally wasted as heat under braking and deceleration) as electrical energy for storage in the high performance battery.

At all speeds, the Lexus Hybrid Drive system monitors itself for optimum performance and fuel efficiency with minimum emissions, either running the electric motors in isolation, the engine in isolation, or a combination of both. Furthermore, battery power level is constantly managed via the engine driven generator to obviate any requirement to recharge the system from an external source.

Full described in the Driving Dynamics chapter, three 'on-demand' drive modes supplement the NORMAL drive mode, increasing the capabilities of the CT 200h's full hybrid powertrain. An EV mode allows for ultra-quiet running on electric motor power alone, resulting in zero fuel consumption and emissions; an ECO mode maximizes hybrid system efficiency and fuel economy; and a SPORT mode boosts system performance.

ENERGY SAVING AND ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE
Air Conditioning Performance
Allowing for independent control of left and right hand sides of the cabin, the new CT 200h is equipped with a compact, lightweight air conditioning unit incorporating a powerful, electric, variable capacity compressor. The use of a hybrid battery-powered electric compressor reduces the load on the engine, improving fuel economy, whilst the surplus power of the unit allows it run below full capacity, with greater efficiency and with less noise.

The integrated-inverter electric compressor contains a centrifugal oil separator that removes oil from the refrigerant, reducing the amount of oil escaping from the compressor. This allows for a more efficient refrigerant cycle, optimizing the air conditioning's cooling performance.
The use of a lightweight, MF (Multi Flow)-IV sub cool condenser reduces refrigerant volume to further improve system efficiency. And the characteristics of the brushless blower motor have been refined to suppress noise whilst delivering a large volume of cool air.

Exhaust Heat Recirculation System
Because of the need to heat the cabin and de-fog the windscreen, hybrid vehicles can suffer a drop in fuel economy during winter months. To counter this, Lexus engineers have incorporated a third generation exhaust heat recirculation system.

The exhaust heat recirculation system helps the engine coolant reach normal operating temperature more rapidly by circulating it around a section of exhaust pipe. This not only improves fuel efficiency by reducing the time needed for the engine to warm up, allowing the Lexus Hybrid Drive system to shut of the engine sooner, but also enables the 495 watt Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) heater to provide warm cabin air more quickly in winter.

LED Lighting
Lexus was the first automotive company to introduce LED headlamps for low beam use, with the LS 600h L in 2007. Consuming 45 percent less power than conventional, halogen units, they offer an improvement in fuel economy, perfectly complimenting the energy saving efficiency of Lexus Hybrid Drive.

With available LED headlamps, up to 46 LEDs are used in front, eight used for the door mirror-mounted turn indicators and 35 in the rear, the CT 200h is equipped with no less than 89 external LEDs –the largest number yet fitted to a Lexus model.

Lexus Audio System Amplifier
An available, energy efficient, Digital Signal Processing-integrated (DSP), eight-channel, full range class D amplifier makes its first appearance in the CT 200h. The new DSP unit consumes 50 percent less power than a conventional, analogue-powered amplifier and, with its weight reduced from 2.9 lbs. to 2.1 lbs., is 26 percent lighter.

Bio-sourced Materials and Bamboo Charcoal Speakers
Improving its environmental performance, several of the CT 200h's larger components including the loadspace deck sides, deck board and deck board trim have been fabricated from a bioplastic material containing 30 percent plant-based polyethylene terephthalate. The new full hybrid also benefits from an easy-to-dismantle construction, and recycle marks have been placed on the front, rear and tailgate trim to facilitate optimum recycling.

A Lexus and industry first, both sound systems are equipped with unique, bamboo charcoal-based resin diaphragm speakers. Constructed using a complex compound combining bamboo charcoal, bamboo fiber and resin, the diaphragms are injection-molded to a thickness of only 0.008-0.01 in., and are some 10-15 percent lighter than a conventional speaker diaphragm.

Lexus CT 200h Dynamic Package
CHAPTER 3: DYNAMIC PACKAGE
* Combines agility and stability with a comfortable and supple ride
* First Lexus with front and rear lateral performance damper system for minimization of body vibrations and improved dynamics.
* Sporty, highly focused, ergonomic driving position
* EV, ECO and NORMAL drive modes for Relaxing driving
* SPORT drive mode for Dynamic driving with enhanced acceleration and agility
* All-new, fully independent double wishbone rear suspension for superior ride comfort and handling, tuned MacPherson strut front suspension
* Precise Electric Power Steering for enhanced driver feedback and rewarding driving dynamics
* Extensively developed aerodynamics enhance stability, handling and ride comfort
The new CT 200h has been specifically developed to combine superior handling and a rewarding driving experience with the ride comfort expected of any Lexus.

The CT 200h benefits from a highly modified existing platform incorporating numerous, exclusively developed body, chassis and Lexus Hybrid Drive powertrain control system engineering applications designed to offer customers a choice of two distinct driving moods – Dynamic, or Relaxing - in conjunction with the full hybrid's EV, ECO, NORMAL and SPORT, 'on-demand' drive modes.

Focusing on every aspect of the CT 200h's bodyshell construction, Lexus engineers have developed both Dynamic and Relaxing driving moods through a low center of gravity, the optimization of the body rigidity, and the reduction of NVH levels.

Introduced for the first time on a Lexus, a unique lateral performance damper system has been designed to absorb and minimize body vibrations to offer a more linear steering feel and further enhanced ride comfort.

Setting a new benchmark in premium compact segment ride comfort and handling, the Lexus CT 200h features a bespoke suspension design which combines a MacPherson strut front system with a new, fully independent double wishbone rear suspension.

High Body Rigidity
Particular attention has been paid to promoting superior handling stability through the structural rigidity of the bodyshell. The CT 200h's torsional stiffness has been enhanced throughout by the optimization of weld points.

Underbody rigidity is maximized through the application of front and rear suspension member bracing, and high-rigidity front floor brace, HV battery carrier and rear lower support members.

The steering wheel mounts, steering gearbox mount, steering column assembly and suspension members have all been reinforced in the interests of maximum rigidity. The front suspension towers are connected by a straight front cowl reinforcement and a network of bracing connects the front suspension towers, front cowl and front pillars. The front engine mounts feature unique lateral stabilizers, and vibration in the exhaust system main muffler has been minimized.

Torsional rigidity has also been enhanced in the upper body through the use of a fully closed cross-section around the entire circumference of the back door opening, reinforcement on the backside of the rear side member and the application of an inner gusset and outer reinforcement to the rear wheel housings.

Lateral Performance Damper System
Because any high rigidity body has a tendency to transmit vibrations, the CT 200h also features front and rear lateral performance damping system designed to absorb and minimize undesirable body vibrations, offering a more linear steering feel while improving handling and ride comfort.

In lieu of conventional fixed bracing, this system features a front performance damper connecting the left and right front suspension towers, and a rear damper connecting the left and right sides of the rear structural frame.

With construction similar to that of a typical monotube suspension damper, the front and rear performance damper assemblies differ according to the variations in body rigidity, noise and vibration of their surroundings, optimizing their ability to absorb body torsion, flexure and fine vibrations.

Their installation has reduced vehicle floor vibrations across a wide frequency range, reduced body flex in left and right front suspension tower displacement, and even lowered audio system white noise levels.

Lightweight Body Design with Low Center of Gravity
Offering superior dynamic abilities, numerous measures have been adopted to ensure the CT 200h has a low center of gravity and moment of inertia. The bodyshell features a long, 102.4-inch wheelbase with short front and rear overhangs, in which occupants sit as close to the center as possible to reduce the moment of inertia.

In order to minimize the yaw inertia moment and improve the CT 200h's agility, bodywork components most distant from the vehicle's center of gravity have been designed to be lightweight.. As a result, the hood, tailgate and bumper reinforcements have been fabricated in aluminum.

Overall vehicle height, ride height and the driver's hip point have been set low.. And the hybrid battery has been located under the loadspace floor yet within the wheelbase, optimizing weight distribution and balance. Further lowering the center of gravity while also maximizing fuel efficiency by minimizing weight, the body itself incorporates not only aluminum, but also a high percentage of lightweight, high tensile steel.

Low, Highly Focused Driving Position
Key to the new premium compact full hybrid's sporty driving experience is its highly focused driver's environment. It features an optimized seating position which combines a low hip point height with enhanced lateral and lumbar support.

Support wires have been built into the seat side bolsters to improve lateral holding performance, and lumbar support may be power adjusted through a 1.2-inch range. The front edge of the base cushion has been shaped to provide a large contact area, reducing fatigue on long drives, and the cover incorporates a support pleat to better coordinate the motion of the driver's body with the vehicle.

The driver further benefits from a sporty, 14.6-inch diameter, wide-grip wheel with a lowered, 21 degree steering angle, accelerator and brake pedal angles optimized to suit the low hip point, and a driver-focused instrument panel housing three large, high-visibility dials.

Helping to maximize forward visibility, the hood has also been lowered in conjunction with the hip point. In order to maintain the appropriate spacing between hood and engine componentry for optimum frontal impact performance, this, in turn, required the design of a completely new air intake system unique to the CT 200h.

Drive Mode Select Switch
Supplementing the NORMAL drive mode of the new Lexus, three 'on-demand' drive modes may be selected via the Drive Mode Select switch, adapting the CT 200h to either a Dynamic or Relaxing driving mood, while further improving either performance and dynamic ability, or driving efficiency, fuel economy and emissions.

EV, ECO and NORMAL drive modes place the emphasis on a Relaxing driving mood, with particular attention paid to ride comfort, smooth acceleration and the minimization of NVH within the body, chassis and powertrain.

From start-up, at speeds of less than 28 mph and up to a mile, the CT 200h can automatically operate in EV mode, driving under electric motor power alone.

The driver may also select EV mode manually. This unique driving mode is not available to drivers of mild hybrid vehicles, requiring the full hybrid technology of Lexus Hybrid Drive.

With vehicle range dictated by battery charge, the EV drive mode allows for relaxing urban driving with minimal noise, and zero NOx and particulate emissions, for up to one mile. Because the gas engine is switched off throughout its operation, the EV drive mode contributes to a significant reduction in the new Lexus' overall fuel consumption.

In ECO mode, throttle response to aggressive accelerator pedal inputs is reduced and air-conditioning control optimized for improved fuel economy. Depending on driving conditions, the ECO mode can help customers adopt a relaxed driving style, and can achieve a perceptible reduction in fuel consumption.

Specifically tuned to deliver greater electric motor power, SPORT mode focuses on a Dynamic driving mood, maximizing the new CT 200h's performance and agility. Engine revs are held higher, and throttle and Electric Power Steering (EPS) settings are modified to give a faster response to driver inputs.

In addition, SPORT mode provides less intrusive operation of the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRAC) systems, allowing experienced drivers to fully utilize the new Lexus full hybrid's extended dynamic abilities.

The highly distinct character of both the CT 200h's Dynamic and Relaxing driving moods is further reinforced through changes to the driver's instruments synchronized to driving mode selection. Backlit in hybrid blue for the EV, ECO and normal drive modes, the instrument panel illumination, Drive Mode Select switch and a spotlight in the center cluster automatically alter to red when the SPORT mode is selected. Simultaneously, the hybrid power indicator function alters to that of tachometer.

Suspension
The Lexus CT 200h features a bespoke suspension design which combines a MacPherson strut front system with a fully independent double wishbone rear suspension.

Unsprung weight has been minimized and shock absorber damping response enhanced through the use of aluminum steering knuckles and stabilizer links, and lightweight lower arms, hub bearings and shock absorbers.

The shock absorbers themselves feature low friction valves, seals and oil, further improving damping response. The adoption of lateral force control coil springs also reduces suspension friction, enhancing ride comfort. And the steering gearbox mounts are connected directly to the front suspension member, ensuring a linear steering feel and enhancing the CT 200h's straight line stability.

The lightweight, large diameter, front anti-sway bar improves the controllability, braking stability and evasive maneuverability of the CT 200h. It features a ball joint link strut connection for good sway rigidity, and a fluorine resin coating between the bushings and the bar itself reduces friction and further enhances ride quality.

A fully independent double wishbone rear suspension incorporates a lightweight trailing arm, and positions the coil spring and shock absorber separately to minimize system intrusion into the loadspace floor. Suspension geometry including camber angle, toe angle and arm layout has been optimized for handling stability and ride comfort.

As with the front suspension, the shock absorbers incorporate low friction valves, seals and oil to improve damping response. Rebound springs have been adopted to optimize lean posture when cornering, and urethane bump stops combine excellent sway rigidity with ride comfort. Low resistance rear axle hub bearings are used to help improve fuel economy, and a resin aerodynamic cover has been fitted to the front of the number two lower arm to help direct underbody air flow, enhancing both handling stability and fuel economy.

The rear anti-sway bar bushings feature resin spacers at the bushings and optimized rubber characteristics for greater support and stiffness and, as with the front suspension, a fluorine resin coating between the bushings and the bar itself reduces friction and further enhances ride quality.

These front and rear suspension systems compliment the new CT 200h's two distinct driving moods, combining excellent ride comfort essential to a Relaxing driving mood with the handling agility and stability appropriate to a Dynamic driving mood.

Electric Power Steering (EPS)
The CT200h is equipped with Electric Power Steering (EPS). Its energy saving and lightweight design characteristics make it ideally suited for use in conjunction with the Lexus Hybrid Drive powertrain. With a quick ratio of 14.6:1 and just 2.7 turns lock-to-lock, the CT 200h's speed-sensitive EPS is also the most direct steering in the Lexus model range.