Lexus' $100,000 ultra-luxury vehicle News

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lexus' $100,000 ultra-luxury vehicle News

Lexus hot for ultrasedan segment - - By Mac Gordon - - Source: The Car Connection

There will be no Lexus minivan or pickup truck, says general manager Denny Clements, but the upscale Toyota brand is planning two exotic additions to its popular luxury lineup - coming this fall, the hybrid-engine RX 330 SUV and an ultra-sedan in the $100,000 price range somewhat later.

Confirmed in an Automotive News interview (May 3) by Toyota Motor Sales USA chief Yuki Funo, the six-figure Lexus would join a growing segment of ultra-sedans and coupes. It would presumably be longer and more powerful than Lexus' LS 430 sedan, Funo indicated, boasting a V-10 or V-12 engines, as compared to the V-8.

The as-yet unnamed ultra-sedan will become Lexus' flagship, says Funo, giving tradeup owners of the LS 430 a Lexus to acquire instead of a competitor like Mercedes Maybach or the projected Cadillac V-12 sedan.

Funo disclaimed any intention of copycatting the Maybach, which has separate showrooms and a far higher suggested retail price than $100,000. But Lexus dealers, who endorse the super Lexus program as an owner "keeper," feel that if properly executed, the deluxe Lexus will give the 15-year-old brand a "halo car" the Japanese have lacked and one the hoi polloi in Palm Beach and Palm Springs will aspire to own as they have a Rolls-Royce Phantom or Mercedes S600.

Of course, the Cadillac sedan would hopefully be a similar gotta-have for the ultras, if and when GM turns it loose. The numbers are small in the gestating ultra segment, but the battle for supremacy among the crème de la crème will be fun to watch.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait to see this thing. I hope it forces GM's hand (and purse strings), so that we really do get a V12 sedan. Infiniti's been on a roll lately; I'd luv for them to get one. Their styling has really been on point, and their engineering is also top notch.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This seals Cadillac's move for an ultra-luxury sedan also, I am guessing. They now have no choice, although I think they have decided this last year.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:36 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
cant wait to see it
Old 05-10-2004, 08:39 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:01 PM

Great work, this will truly help keep Lexus with the top 3 luxury cars (BMW/Benz the others). Especially with everyone and their momma going downmarket, which kills luxury car prestige. Unlike VW, Lexus has the panache and successful history for luxury car buyers to choose this car. The amazing thing is, a 100, 000 Lexus will offer the amenities of a 150,000 German car. Lexus has always been about the same features for less money.

My prediction, a COUPE is coming too.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Hopefully they'll come up with some inovative ideas and not just copy what the germans have done.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its time to play with the big boys...
Old 05-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Outnumbered at home

Man i can't imagine what they can do with 100k. If their LS undercusts the technology of mercedes by 20k imagine what goodies this thing will have. Hope they get a good exterior designer for it though. Not too impressed with most of their cars.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Miss th 3.0

100k for a lexus...danm
Old 05-14-2004, 12:03 AM
I love my G sedan

The big three Japanese automakers have acquired the skill and technology and experience to go upscale. Toyota and Nissan has made V8 engines for many years and they should be able to build V10 and V12 engines to compete against the German ones. Honda should really get into the V8 territory years ago, and yet they still want to go another route such as V6 plus electric motors.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:07 AM

Silver, I know Toyota builds V-10 engines for their F-1 cars.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Instructor

I have no problem with Lexus making $100,000 cars. The LS400/430 proved to be a dominating player in the its class.

Bigger, more powerfull and more refined... Go LEXUS!
Old 05-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Safety Car

I wish we could see it.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

My opinion is that Lexus absolutely needs a 100K dollar flagship and more. Lexus needs to look at Mercedes and match or surpass it on every segment.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:32 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I wanted a boat I'd buy one. This is great for Lexus but I just don't get the maybach/phantom/Caddy v12 desire. even if I was loaded I'd rather have a car I could drive and have fun with. Not my thing I guess.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Outnumbered at home

Originally posted by ferizzo
If I wanted a boat I'd buy one. This is great for Lexus but I just don't get the maybach/phantom/Caddy v12 desire. even if I was loaded I'd rather have a car I could drive and have fun with. Not my thing I guess.
most of the people who can afford these cars are older and love comfort and style above all. If you want a fun car at that price you better be looking at sports cars. Why get a sedan if you really want sport?

Personally i agree but i also won't be able to afford one of these until i am about 90 years old.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by gavriil
My opinion is that Lexus absolutely needs a 100K dollar flagship and more. Lexus needs to look at Mercedes and match or surpass it on every segment.
Its kinda funny, cause on espn2 tonite was consumer reports and they said an 8 yr old ls400 had less problems per 100 than a 6 month old 7 series based off car owner reports, so I think its the german who need to watch their back cause the japanese are just eating up the market, luxury and all. The highend market is the final market for an establish company, not necessary by any means..

I think Lexus canhurt the germans much much more under 70k than they can above it.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by gavriil
Ageed. The Germans and the Italians have a strangel hold on the super-lux market. The Japanese could definitely play that game, and Lexus is the brand to do it. If done right, they can really eat into that $100,000 plus market. I hope Caddy and Infiniti stays the course and steps up they're game also.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Lexus inching closer to producing a superluxury vehicle - - By JASON STEIN | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

Lexus is inching closer to the day when it offers a superluxury vehicle.

Executives at Toyota's luxury channel are in deep discussions on a halo model, said Irv Miller, group vice president of corporate communications for Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc.

"I think you'll see (Lexus) vehicles in that area," Miller said during a meeting last week with Automotive News editors and reporters. "There's a market there for sure. There's a lot of discussion on halo effect on a franchise and a luxury market particularly. There is discussion going on how to go about doing that."

Miller said Lexus is considering everything from a four-door sedan to a super sports car to a hybrid with "plenty of low-end torque and 0-to-60 performance," adding: "That might be something the real enthusiasts embrace."

Yuki Funo, CEO of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A., said during a recent interview with Automotive News that a $100,000 car is high on Lexus' wish list.

"For the brand it is quite important," Funo said. "From a marketing and sales perspective, we need a strong product that should be regarded as the flagship or the ultimate Lexus. At a certain point we should have that kind of product. Doing something like a Maybach is too much. But we are thinking in the vicinity of $100,000."

Lexus General Manager Denny Clements has said a $100,000-plus sedan or sports coupe would make a perfect extension for the brand. But Clements acknowledged that Lexus must go into the market with eyes wide open.

"There isn't enough room for everybody," Clements said last month. "The depreciation of those cars is horrendous. You can't really make a business case for it."

Old 07-28-2004, 09:40 AM
Rod
Drifting

I want to see something that competes with the SL.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rod
I want to see something that competes with the SL.

I thought the that the SC430, though a bit cheaper, competed against the SL. Both have strong V8's , both are hard top coupes; the Lex as many of the amenities of the SL. It sounds like if they go with the 4 door version, they'll go with a new, different car positioned above the LS. I was hoping that it would be an ultra-lux version of the next LS, which is already going to be bigger, and more luxurious than the current model. If Lexus introduces a new V12 for the next LS, and stuff's it with every feature at their disposal, they can sell such a car for $100K, and still undercut the V12 competition from Benz/BMW/Audi. Or, better yet, a coupe version of the next gen LS, to compete with the CL! Now that would be flagship that Lexus could easily sell for $100K.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally Posted by titan
I thought the that the SC430, though a bit cheaper, competed against the SL. Both have strong V8's , both are hard top coupes; the Lex as many of the amenities of the SL.
I guess you're right, but even after all the similarities, I will never see these two cars in the same light. I mean a real SL competitor, a fast 2 seat roadster up in the SL's price range. If the SC somewhat compares to the SL at it's current price, just imagine what Lexus could do for $90-$100K.
Originally Posted by titan
It sounds like if they go with the 4 door version, they'll go with a new, different car positioned above the LS. I was hoping that it would be an ultra-lux version of the next LS, which is already going to be bigger, and more luxurious than the current model. If Lexus introduces a new V12 for the next LS, and stuff's it with every feature at their disposal, they can sell such a car for $100K, and still undercut the V12 competition from Benz/BMW/Audi. Or, better yet, a coupe version of the next gen LS, to compete with the CL! Now that would be flagship that Lexus could easily sell for $100K.
And I'm sure the new sedan will also be incredible considering what they've done with the LS. I just hope they put more thought into the new sedan's styling as the LS is just boring.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

nice
Old 07-28-2004, 06:48 PM
__

let's sat Lexus were to take the LS and add extra goodies and a little more jazz on the outside, while sporting a V12. That would be a 44,000 price jump from the base price 56,000 on the LS, which is kind of hard to swallow. Mercedes hides it well w/ models in between. The base S430 starts at 76k and the base S600 is 125k. That's a 49k difference but it is more justifiable since there are 2 other models in between (not including the 4matics). Lexus would be crazy to sell the LS430 around the same prices as today and then add a v-12 model for 100,000 (no matter how many goodies they add). People would see it as an inferior product
Old 07-28-2004, 10:46 PM
I love my G sedan

I always thought that when Lexus reaches the V10 or V12(excluding the one used in Century in Japan) level, Acura should have made their first V8 engine. Even Volkswagen has eight cylinder vehicle, what the heck is Honda/Acura thinking? They think they really could get away from V8 by producing their "high output" V6? They think they could replace the rear-wheel-drive=luxury car concept by using super all-wheel drive? Come on. If the car only costs around $45k, yeah they could do that. But up to $60k level or higher, forget it. Being the biggest auto maker from Japan, Toyota should be ahead of Honda, but not this far ahead. You say Toyota is not ahead of Honda? Show me a Honda V8 first. Go ahead Honda, keep concentrating on hybrid and fuel economy and air pollution and some other bullshit, i am sure your Honda would sell, but not your Acura. Honda should really eliminate the brand Acura and regroup all Acura vehicles into Honda because there isn't really any substantial mechanical difference between the two brands.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:10 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zoot
let's sat Lexus were to take the LS and add extra goodies and a little more jazz on the outside, while sporting a V12. That would be a 44,000 price jump from the base price 56,000 on the LS, which is kind of hard to swallow. Mercedes hides it well w/ models in between. The base S430 starts at 76k and the base S600 is 125k. That's a 49k difference but it is more justifiable since there are 2 other models in between (not including the 4matics). Lexus would be crazy to sell the LS430 around the same prices as today and then add a v-12 model for 100,000 (no matter how many goodies they add). People would see it as an inferior product
But the $100K sedan they're talking about isn't going to be an upgraded LS, it's going to be an entirely new car.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SilverCL225hp
I always thought that when Lexus reaches the V10 or V12(excluding the one used in Century in Japan) level, Acura should have made their first V8 engine. Even Volkswagen has eight cylinder vehicle, what the heck is Honda/Acura thinking? They think they really could get away from V8 by producing their "high output" V6? They think they could replace the rear-wheel-drive=luxury car concept by using super all-wheel drive? Come on. If the car only costs around $45k, yeah they could do that. But up to $60k level or higher, forget it. Being the biggest auto maker from Japan, Toyota should be ahead of Honda, but not this far ahead. You say Toyota is not ahead of Honda? Show me a Honda V8 first. Go ahead Honda, keep concentrating on hybrid and fuel economy and air pollution and some other bullshit, i am sure your Honda would sell, but not your Acura. Honda should really eliminate the brand Acura and regroup all Acura vehicles into Honda because there isn't really any substantial mechanical difference between the two brands.

Hehehe... I hope Honda/Acura officials are reading this.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Safety Car

Lexus High Luxury Sedan

Still more luxury with Lexus: New Topmodell
Lexus still plans absolute Top series under the contraction HLS (High Luxury Sedan) above the current LS 430.
The new flagship is particularly meant for the US market and is to cost over 100,000 dollar. A sedan and a Coupé, which are to begin particularly against the Mercedes S and CL class as well as against that for 2007 announced luxury Cadillac ULS, are intended.

As motorizing the luxury section of Toyota considers a V8 and 500 to 600 HP strong a twelve-cylinder; the eight-cylinder variant is to be offered additionally as Hybdridversion with electric motor.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

Cadillac Ultra Luxury Sedan

Cadillac ULS

Under the contraction ULS (Ultra Luxury Sedan) Cadillac plans a luxury sedan with V12-Motor for the coronation/culmination of the program. It is the again developed North-Star-Aluminium-V12, in to 100. Anniversary of the mark presented sports car study Cien its debut gave: with four cam shafts, direkteinspritzung, lying above, cylinder disconnection, 750 HP and 610 Nm torque. Completely as much power might not become it in the series, but enough, in order to be able to offer the V12-Boliden from Stuttgart and Munich Paroli. Among them it in addition, two V8-Ausfuehrungen with 340 to scarce will give over 400 HP. With prices starting from 80,000 dollar would be the Cadillac ULS also after US yardsticks a real luxury car. Clearly over five meters long luxury liners like the STS with rear-wheel drive and optional all-wheel drive one offers.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Safety Car

Nice news... so Lexus is going to have a coupe version of the next LS to fight the CL class? VERY nice indeed. These sketches are cool, but the grill is from anycar, inc. Common Lexus, lets get some cohesiveness with the designs.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Pit Stop?

Looks like a Maybach......all swoopy.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:14 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Whenever they make this car it is going to kick some serious ass.

id take one one right now over an S class sight unseen.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:39 AM
__

front screams maybach concept
Old 09-05-2004, 06:59 AM
hail to the victors

looks like a MB cls
Old 09-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by heyitsme

Still more luxury with Lexus: New Topmodell
Lexus still plans absolute Top series under the contraction HLS (High Luxury Sedan) above the current LS 430.
The new flagship is particularly meant for the US market and is to cost over 100,000 dollar. A sedan and a Coupé, which are to begin particularly against the Mercedes S and CL class as well as against that for 2007 announced luxury Cadillac ULS, are intended.

As motorizing the luxury section of Toyota considers a V8 and 500 to 600 HP strong a twelve-cylinder; the eight-cylinder variant is to be offered additionally as Hybdridversion with electric motor.
I saw this in other boards, but because it so similar to the Maybach, I thought it's not worth posting.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:24 PM

Gav, that pic seems to have hit the net hard. I can believe it's a sketch as it does look like a Maybach somewhat, which would seem like a Lexus move. Looks good to me.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:55 AM
Pro

it doesnt look like a 100k car. Kinda reminds me of that one chrysler car that tries to look expensive
Old 09-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Burning Brakes

that front just SCREAMS CLS
Old 09-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Gav, that pic seems to have hit the net hard. I can believe it's a sketch as it does look like a Maybach somewhat, which would seem like a Lexus move. Looks good to me.

It certainly could be accurate. But I personally doubt it. I dont think anyone (this side of Lexus) knows what this vehicle will look like currently. It's always the same with Lexus. We find out when they show the car.

Quick Reply: Lexus' $100,000 ultra-luxury vehicle News