AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Land Rover: Range Rover Velar News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/land-rover-range-rover-velar-news-955397/)

00TL-P3.2 03-02-2017 09:15 AM

Land Rover: Range Rover Velar News

Official: it's the new Range Rover Velar | Top Gear

The new, mid-sized Rangey is here and we have many, many pictures

What you’re looking at, according to Land Rover, isn’t just a car – it’s a digital butler. No, really.

When it goes on sale this summer, Land Rover says its brand-new Velar SUV is packed full of tech that will “create an in-built technology butler”, thanks to “an all-new, cutting edge infotainment system.”

Land Rover’s Peter Virk, who has a very long job title, says the system “learns from you and anticipates your needs, serving what you want, when you want it – but never intrudes… like any good butler.”

According to Land Rover, the Velar plugs the gap between the Evoque and the Range Rover Sport. And before you ask “what gap?”, there is actually a niche there. The Sport is a willfully massive thing once you get it onto tight urban streets, and shaving about 50mm off the length and width will make for a much more city-friendly SUV.

Powering the Velar is your choice of five engines. Most sensible is a 178bhp 2.0-litre, four-cylinder diesel, which is good for 0-60mph in 8.4secs, a top speed of 130mph and more than 52mpg. There’s a higher-spec 2.0-litre diesel with 237bhp, a 6.8sec 0-60mph time, a 135mph top speed and slightly poorer economy, at 49mpg.

The 3.0-litre diesel V6 takes another step towards grunt over greenness, with 296bhp, 0-60 in 6.1secs, a top speed of 150mph and about 44mpg.

If you’re a petrol fan, there’s a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder turbo with 247bhp, a 296bhp tune following further down the line. But what you really want is the supercharged 3.0-litre V6 petrol, with 375bhp. It’ll knock off a 0-60 dash in 5.3secs, hit 155mph and burn through dino juice at a rate of about 30mpg.

If you spring for either of the V6-powered models, you’ll also get air suspension as standard. But fear not, entry-level buyers – adaptive dampers are standard across the range.

The spec levels, for you badge-spotters out there, run from the standard Velar, through the usual S, SE and HSE specs, with a sportier appearance if you go for an R-Dynamic kit. Prices start at £44,830, but get excited and pick the R-Dynamic HSE V6 and you’ll be paying more than £72,000.

According to Land Rover, the Velar is built from sustainable materials, following an all-new design. On that note, if a mineralogist could tell us how sustainable aluminium is, that’d be grand, because the Velar uses quite a bit of it. In reality, the sustainable material that Land Rover’s talking about is inside the cabin – a special textile takes the place of leather on the seats.

Now, it wouldn’t be a Range Rover unless it could scale the surface of Mars with a Labrador in the boot. To that end, Land Rover has kitted the Velar out with a full suite of off-road gubbins, provided that you tick the options box accordingly. Normally, it’d make sense to rail against the lack of standard kit, but if you’re not going to take your Velar to Monument Valley, what use do you have for a locking rear diff and terrain response control?

Regardless of how much you choose from the options list, you’ll get autonomous emergency braking, traffic warnings and a gizmo that detects if you’re about to have forty winks behind the wheel. Handy.

Now to the styling. There’s an old Latin saying that, roughly translated, says, “In matters of taste, there should be no dispute.” So we’ll leave you to make up your own mind on the rakish styling direction that design boss Gerry McGovern has chosen. Instead, we can tell you that, with a drag coefficient of 0.32, it’s the slipperiest Land Rover product ever.

And, if you wanted to have a look at the Velar’s design yourself (and you’re in the London area) you’re in luck – it’s on display in the Design Museum in Kensington until March 5th.

There’s actually a little bit of history behind a Land Rover product sitting in a museum – the original Range Rover was displayed in the Louvre in the 1970s, and it was a pretty decent bit of kit. And here’s where the Velar name comes in, actually – ‘Velar’ was the name originally given to the very first Range Rover prototypes that Land Rover built back in 1969.

So, does it tickle your fancy? If so, best find about £85k (try your other pair of jeans) and get in touch with Land Rover rather soon – there’s a special ‘First Edition’, powered by V6 engines only and with much leather, 1600W of Meridian stereo and something called ‘Matrix-Laser’ LED headlights as standard. As well as that digital butler…

00TL-P3.2 03-02-2017 09:16 AM

http://www.topgear.com/sites/default...?itok=AfTp9zdO
http://www.topgear.com/sites/default...?itok=gV-UVWFS
http://www.topgear.com/sites/default...?itok=2u2EFbqF
http://www.topgear.com/sites/default...?itok=YeG_IpZt
http://www.topgear.com/sites/default...?itok=1tqY0NcD
http://www.topgear.com/sites/default...?itok=_WTuB0Wa
http://www.topgear.com/sites/default...?itok=pLm5EVrs
http://www.topgear.com/sites/default...?itok=2w3GvgYJ

SamDoe1 03-02-2017 10:00 AM

$55k base for this thing? Too expensive... At that point you might as well get a RRS for not a whole lot more money and a lot more capability. I also don't buy the fact that a supercharged V6 is going to get anywhere close to 30mpg on a reasonable driving cycle with a SUV this big and probably heavy.

myron 03-02-2017 10:10 AM

it also looks like any other Range now days, don't see anything special about it compared to the other ones.

00TL-P3.2 03-02-2017 10:39 AM

Also, it fitting between the Evoque & RRS, wouldn't that be the LR Disco? Or is this a sort-of RR badged Disco?

agonzalezii 03-02-2017 12:48 PM

A good looking SUV. I see where it fits the gap between the tiny Evoque and the X6 fighting RR Sport. The styling is really familiar, but still different from the rest of RR lineup. That said, to anyone who isn't a Land Rover/Range Rover fan, they'll all look interchangeable. My guess is that this will easily be the best selling RR, being both right sized and also somewhat reasonably affordable (when compared to the rest of the RR line up). With all of that said, there's truly no more room in the RR lineup for another SUV.

agonzalezii 03-02-2017 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 (Post 15970272)
Also, it fitting between the Evoque & RRS, wouldn't that be the LR Disco? Or is this a sort-of RR badged Disco?

I think the rational answer is yes, except that Land Rover has this idea that the Disco "Family" will be more practical while still being very upscale, while the RR "Family" of SUVs will be all out luxurious and more performance oriented. Seeing as how Land Rover is limited to only selling SUVs, this idea of grouping them into purpose built "Families" of RR, Discovery, and Defender, enables them to flesh it's lineups as a whole with a ton of SUVs to fill every niche. Also, the Disco is more of a tweener with the RR Sport and RR. It shares the same monoque frame as those vehicles. This is more the size and stature of the Discovery Sport, but as I mentioned, in LR's eyes, the Disco Sport and Velar are targeting different customers.

00TL-P3.2 03-02-2017 01:27 PM

^ Disco Sport was what I meant. Which, every time I see one, can't help but think that it looks like an Explorer.....

agonzalezii 03-02-2017 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 (Post 15970483)
^ Disco Sport was what I meant. Which, every time I see one, can't help but think that it looks like an Explorer.....

I agree 100%. That said, the Explorer is a poor facsimile of Land Rovers. The tail lights are RR copies. Ford blacked out the A and D pillar to create a floating roof, which is a true LR design trait, and the front fascia screams LR as well. But in today's day and age, everyone from Ford to Kia blatantly steals design cues from luxury brands. It's a shame, really.

Chief F1 Fan 03-18-2017 05:44 AM

I built a Velar yesterday and could see myself owning one. Love the infotainment system in it most of all.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ec3262b1b3.png

Build your NEW RANGE ROVER VELAR

ThermonMermon 03-18-2017 09:10 PM

Ditto. Putting His on the shortlist with the new XC60.

Chief F1 Fan 03-21-2017 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by thermonmermon (Post 15982309)
ditto. Putting his on the shortlist with the new xc60. v90

fixed.

RDX10 03-21-2017 12:48 PM

I want to like it. But something about missing door handles on a crossover just rubs me the wrong way. I don't like it. The other thing is the roof slopes too much in the rear and gives the rear end a pointy look. In regards to size, this slots between the evoque and RR sport and is thankfully based on a RWD platform from the F-pace.

Chief F1 Fan 03-22-2017 04:41 PM

To each his own, you like your RDX, I happen to think they're very innocuous and unattractive but hey, I don't have to pay for one now do I?

RDX10 03-22-2017 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan (Post 15985031)
To each his own, you like your RDX, I happen to think they're very innocuous and unattractive but hey, I don't have to pay for one now do I?

Lol to say I like the exterior looks of my past RDX would be a stretch, I like the rear end, but really dislike the front end in truth. But for me, it was the performance of the RDX that made me love it, DEFINITELY not for the looks. I don't think this is ugly, I just need to see it in person. Just like how the Cayenne looks odd in pics and amazing in person, this might be the same case. At the end of the day, you are correct. To each his own!

Chief F1 Fan 03-23-2017 05:58 AM

I had that same love/hate affair with my 01 CL-S; the front was fine, the rear looked like a damn Buick. :hurl:

agonzalezii 03-27-2017 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan (Post 15982071)
I built a Velar yesterday and could see myself owning one. Love the infotainment system in it most of all.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ec3262b1b3.png

Build your NEW RANGE ROVER VELAR

I built one too, just to see where my price would fall. It's a beautiful SUV,and it's right sized for the market. Mid sizers is definitely the most competitive segment right now. I think This will stack up well against the Macan, X4, and it's sister/platform mate, the F-Pace. I've got a 9 month old son and another son coming in July, so for my wife and I, it's impractical. The Discovery, however, is on my very short list. Every review I see or read on it raves about the flexibility, functionality, and off road capability. The Discovery is on my very short list, along with the XC90 and possibly Q7. My biggest knock on the Q7 is its looks, for me.

Chief F1 Fan 09-13-2017 02:05 AM

UPDATE: I drove one of these this past Sunday at Watkins Glen where RR had an obstacle set up in the "Boot" through trees, over logs, through a creek, down a steep ass hill and other fun things. This is a very nice vehicle and I still could see myself owning one. As my wife said so well, "do you really need a vehicle that can do those kinds of things when the most you'll do is drive it through snow?" Hmmmm, good point Mrs. :chief: but still . . . .

00TL-P3.2 09-18-2017 09:10 AM

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...auto/road-test

I really want one of these Velars.
So do a lot of people, it seems. Few cars that don’t have big wings or silly doors attract as much attention as the Range Rover Velar.

People point at it and talk to you about it. They ask you if it’s any good, because their hairdresser’s wife’s sister’s husband’s best friend is thinking about putting his name down and can’t decide whether or not he wants the contrast roof. It gets a bit annoying.

It figures.
Well, there’s no denying Land Rover’s made a hugely desirable car. It’s supposed to plug the gap between the Range Rover Sport and Range Rover Evoque (and feels closer to the former than the latter), which in practical terms means it’s bigger than a BMW X4, but not as big as an X6.

Its underpinnings are shared with the Jaguar F-Pace, but the Velar is longer, narrower and, because it’s a Land Rover, better off-road. Which is great, even though we bet it’s just a tiny fraction of potential owners who’ll give a damn.

How about on the road?
This is our first time trying a Velar in the UK, and indeed our first time in the range-topping ‘First Edition’, with its 3.0-litre supercharged V6 making 380bhp. And it drives, well… like a Range Rover.

Don’t think the fact it shares a platform with one of the best-driving small SUVs means it’s especially engaging – because it isn’t. You still need the F-Pace, or better yet, a Porsche Macan, if you want to have any real fun driving your crossover.

Shame.
Not really. The Velar’s still pretty good. It’s a Range Rover, and they’re not for going fast (though we’ve no doubt there’ll be an SVR before long). Even with the F-Type’s big 375bhp V6 on board, you never feel compelled to drive it especially quickly. It doesn’t fall to pieces if you do, but the Velar is best enjoyed a long way south of maximum commitment.

The steering is well-weighted and precise enough to make placing its near two-metre girth straightforward and stress-free, the eight-speed automatic gearbox is smooth and unobtrusive and the air-sprung ride of our test car coped pretty well with most everything Britain could throw at it – even on those chintzy 22in wheels. It’s a refined and relaxing drive rather than an engaging or thrilling one, and that’s just fine.

As for the engine – we’d stick with the diesel. The petrol is faster outright (5.3sec to 62mph and 155mph top speed), but it doesn’t half drink (30.1mpg claimed, expect mid 20s) and in this application isn’t particularly rewarding. A lusty, un-stressed six-cylinder diesel is more at home here. That tops 44mpg and is a couple of grand cheaper in First Edition spec than this petrol.

That interior is something else…
Isn’t it? And it actually works too. I mean, I’d still rather have actual buttons for my climate controls and radio presets, but Land Rover’s implementation of the Velar’s two touchscreens – one where you’d normally find it, the other lower down, where the climate controls normally sit – is pretty good. I was a doubter, but I didn’t have nearly as many accidents as I thought I would trying to change radio stations or switch drive modes. It’s still not quite as intuitive or a slick in its responses as it could be, but Land Rover is certainly making progress. For a full run-down of the interior tech, head over to our full review.

Because our test car was a ‘First Edition’ it had every conceivable bell and whistle. Its RRP was £86,175 – and that’s an outrageous sum for a car of this size and type. Ten minutes spent on Land Rover’s online configurator reveals you can get a sensibly specified ‘proper’ Range Rover for that.

But a proper Rangie is nowhere near as stylish.
Exactly. Something is worth what people are prepared to pay for it, and we’ve no doubt Land Rover will have no trouble whatsoever finding people willing to spend circa-£90k on its ‘mid-range’ model.

But if you’re buying on substance as well as style, our money would go on the V6 diesel. The supercharged V6 petrol will sell well overseas but a more torquey, lower-revving diesel better suits the Velar’s character. As for money, we’d dodge the First Edition – you can get a V6 diesel with all the kit you want/need (the twin-screen infotainment is standard, so are the pop-out door handles) for a price that begins with a six.

00TL-P3.2 10-04-2017 09:43 AM

Saw a Velar on the road today, only caught a quick glance before it was obscured by traffic.
Surprised that it's a good bit smaller than it looked in photos, but it looks quite nice. If I had to guess, it looks similar in size to an Explorer, but maybe not as wide.

Chief F1 Fan 10-05-2017 07:28 AM

It's smaller than an Explorer I'd say, didn't seem as wide, tall or long when I drove it.

00TL-P3.2 10-08-2018 01:22 PM

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/10/ra...mercs-x-class/

Pickup trucks are some of the most utilitarian vehicles on the market. Consequently, one might have thought that a brand like Range Rover, who specializes in luxurious, spacious, and capable off-road vehicles, to take a look at the segment, especially after Mercedes-Benz came out with the X-Class.

However, unlike Merc, BMW and the rest of premium brands are simply not interested in making a pickup truck. Nonetheless, Rain Prisk has imagined how a Range Rover pickup might look like even if the brand won’t ever make such a thing.

As Prisk’s pickup is based around the Velar, most of its front fascia remains bog standard, albeit for a few styling add-ons. The serious changes start at the roof, which has been shortened to make room for a large trunk bed. The rear wheels have also been pushed back to lengthen the vehicle and create something that would surely give the Mercedes-Benz X-Class a run for its money. Tying everything together are extended, black wheel arches, off-road tires and rough-and-ready wheels.

Mind you, a few tuning companies have created Range Rover pickups, most notably Startech. The firm’s Range Rover-based pickup was introduced a few years ago, but even its modifications weren’t as comprehensive as those of the pictured Velar pickup.

https://images.carscoops.com/2018/09...p--768x416.jpg

00TL-P3.2 02-05-2019 09:13 AM

Land Rover Range Rover Velar SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition

https://www.netcarshow.com/land_rove...namic_edition/

Designed as the pinnacle of the Velar line-up, the new model has been developed by Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations and is powered by a 550PS 5.0-litre V8 supercharged engine with a range of unique design enhancements. Adding to its exclusivity, this distinctive model will be available to purchase for one year only.

Rawdon Glover, Managing Director, Jaguar Land Rover UK, said: "The Range Rover Velar strikes a perfect balance between go-anywhere practicality, dynamic performance and relaxing comfort. By enhancing the luxury and dynamic characteristics even further we have created the pinnicle of the Velar range."

With a supercharged V8 engine, the most powerful Velar accelerates from 0-100km/h in 4.5 seconds (0-60mph in 4.3 seconds) and is capable of 274km/h (170mph), while cosseting customers with traditional Range Rover refinement and comfort.

Uprated brakes and suspension components, plus bespoke settings for everything from the powertrain to the safety systems, ensure the SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition mixes the personality of a performance car with the go-anywhere capability of a luxury mid-size SUV.

Michael van der Sande, Managing Director, Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations, said: "Developing the Range Rover Velar SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition is the kind of task Special Vehicle Operations was made for. The challenge here was to increase performance without compromising the composure, capability and refinement inherent in Range Rover Velar."

The powerful new model is distinguished by a range of visual enhancements and unique trim finishes, delivering a more purposeful appearance and heightened attention to detail while maintaining Velar's perfect proportions and distinctive silhouette.

On the outside, the award-winning Velar features a new front bumper with larger air intakes to feed the V8 Supercharged engine and cool the uprated braking system. A new grille and lower side mouldings combine with a revised rear bumper featuring integrated quad exhaust finishers.

The exterior changes combine with a transmission tunnel undertray to ensure the fastest Velar in the range cuts through the air more efficiently.

Even the Range Rover lettering on the bonnet and tailgate has been enhanced, with a knurled finish on the metal element of the two-piece letters adding a fresh degree of sophistication to the exterior. The SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition is also the only Velar available in Satin Byron Blue - a metallic paint finish from Special Vehicle Operations' Premium Palette range - and all models feature a contrast Narvik Black roof as standard.

Gerry McGovern, Chief Design Officer, Land Rover, said: "Our continued evolution is driven by a relentless focus on creating highly desirable vehicles our customers will love for life. The new Range Rover Velar SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition amplifies the highly desirable nature of the 2018 World Car Design winner by introducing a compelling combination of heightened performance and luxury."

Distinctive forged aluminium wheels provide another clue to the enhanced performance. The lightweight 21-inch design weighs the same as the 20-inch wheels on the core model and customers can also specify optional 22-inch rims with a unique Silver Sparkle finish and diamond-turned edging, providing a further degree of personalisation.

The larger wheels indicate the performance focus of the SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition, helping to generate more grip and accommodating larger brakes. Its 395mm front and 396mm diameter rear brake discs feature a two-piece construction to optimise weight. The innovative designs also dissipate heat more effectively to cope with the higher braking forces generated during high performance driving.

The extra stopping power is highlighted by red brake calipers (four-piston at the front, sliding at the rear) which feature Land Rover lettering. Gloss Black calipers are also available for a more discreet appearance.

The purposeful exterior is matched by a heightened sense of luxury inside with a carefully curated combination of finishes and upholstery. The twin-stitched, perforated and quilted Windsor leather is unique to the SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition and is available in four colour combinations (Ebony, Cirrus, Vintage Tan and Pimento) and the SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition features 20-way adjustable heated and cooled front seats with memory and massage functions as standard.

The special touches inside extend to the unique sports steering wheel, which features a specially contoured rim and tactile aluminium gear shift paddles. Lower down, the rotary gear selector and control dials for the Touch Pro Duo infotainment system all feature a sophisticated knurled finish. An optional carbon fibre pack for the interior adds a more contemporary feel to the cabin, while sports pedals and illuminated metal treadplates with Range Rover script complete the look.

Design elements extend to the 12.3-inch Interactive Driver Display featuring unique 'digitally knurled' dials and a bespoke SVAutobiography Dynamic start-up screen. This digital detailing continues with the electronics that underpin the driving characteristics of the new flagship Velar model.

Calibrations for the AWD system, Active Rear Locking Differential, eight-speed transmission, steering and air suspension have all been honed and are bespoke to the SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition; delivering a more focused driving experience. Engineers at Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations spent 63,900 hours fine-tuning the unique calibration to optimise the ride, handling and responsiveness.

The work of Special Vehicle Operations focused on delivering increased breath of capability, maintaining Land Rover's renowned all-terrain expertise while providing new levels of dynamic control and performance. Aside from far-reaching electronic tuning, upgraded anti-roll bars reduce body roll during hard cornering and the revised set-up for the Continuously Variable Dampers works in combination with firmer air springs for the air suspension to deliver the ultimate balance of composure and comfort.

The all-wheel drive system has been uprated too with a transfer box capable of withstanding the higher loads generated by the 5.0-litre supercharged V8 engine. The advanced Intelligent Driveline Dynamics system precisely and imperceptibly distributes engine torque to suit the conditions. The set-up can direct as much as 100 per cent to the rear depending on the conditions.

Speed-sensitive Electric Power Assisted Steering is fitted as standard, minimising effort at parking speeds but delivering precise and direct control at higher speeds, while the Velar's Dynamic mode has been enhanced, optimising the steering, suspension and transmission settings to suit more enthusiastic on-road driving.

The unique character of the Velar SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition is also reflected by its bespoke exhaust set-up, which provides a soundtrack to match its performance. SV's Variable Active Exhaust System features valve technology to optimise the exhaust note, depending upon the driving conditions, and provides Velar with an unmistakable V8 rumble. The active set-up is 7.1kg lighter than the standard design and its increased gas flow helps to unlock some of the flagship model's increased performance.

The Velar SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition sounds like no other SUV, but the most driver-focused model in the range is as practical as ever. The generous boot capacity is unaffected, while the flexible 40:20:40-split rear seats allow customers to vary the loadspace depending on their requirements. The 82-litre fuel tank also promises a genuine range in excess of 483km (300 miles).

The new Velar SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition is available in six exterior colours: Firenze Red, Santorini Black, Corris Grey, Fuji White, Indus Silver and, by special order, Satin Byron Blue.

Velar SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition is priced from £86,120 OTR in the UK.
https://www.netcarshow.com/Land_Rove...on-2019-ig.jpg

00TL-P3.2 02-05-2019 09:13 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/Land_Rove...19-1600-01.jpg
https://www.netcarshow.com/Land_Rove...19-1600-0a.jpg
https://www.netcarshow.com/Land_Rove...19-1600-0d.jpg
https://www.netcarshow.com/Land_Rove...19-1600-0f.jpg
https://www.netcarshow.com/Land_Rove...19-1600-18.jpg

00TL-P3.2 05-06-2021 09:01 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/land_rove...e_rover_velar/

The Range Rover Velar is now even more desirable, sustainable and intelligent with the introduction of an electric plug-in hybrid option, advanced new infotainment technology and elegant new design features.

The mid-size luxury SUV, which sits between the Range Rover Evoque and Range Rover Sport in the family line-up, offers customers the perfect balance of design and technology - now with electric power. The new 2.0-litre four-cylinder P400e plug-in hybrid offers a smooth and refined drive, producing a combined 404PS and 640Nm of torque from its 300PS petrol engine and 105kW electric motor, with an impressive 0-60mph in 5.1 seconds (0-100km/h in 5.4 seconds). A 17.1Wh lithium-ion battery, located under the boot floor, can be charged to 80 per cent in just 30 minutes using a fast DC charge point, or 1 hour 40 minutes using a standard 7kW wallbox. With zero tailpipe emissions in electric mode, an impressive real-world all-electric range of 33 miles (53km), fuel economy of up to 130.2mpg (2.2 litres/100km) and CO2 emissions from just 49g/km, the Range Rover Velar is now even more sustainable by design.

A new family of 3.0-litre straight-six Ingenium engines is also introduced to the Range Rover Velar for the first time. The latest generation of smooth and efficient petrol and diesel engines are available with 48-volt mild hybrid electric vehicle (MHEV) technology for reduced fuel consumption and heightened refinement. The new straight-six engines, developed in-house, are available as D300 (300PS diesel) and P400 (400PS) petrol all-wheel drive variants, each fitted with air suspension as standard for signature Range Rover comfort.

The new engines are available with mild-hybrid electric vehicle technology (MHEV) in addition to the latest engine technologies, for efficient performance. The MHEV system uses a Belt integrated Starter Generator (BiSG) in the engine bay to harvest energy usually lost under deceleration, which is then stored in a 48V lithium-ion battery located beneath the rear loadspace. It is able to redeploy the stored energy to assist the engine when accelerating away, while also delivering a more refined and responsive stop/start system.

The new P400 straight-six engine generates 550Nm torque and delivers an impressive 0-60mph time of 5.2 seconds (0-100km in 5.5 seconds.) The engine features an electric supercharger supported by a twin scroll turbocharger and Continuous Variable Valve Lift (CVVL), for refined performance.

The D300 diesel generates 650Nm torque, offering 0-60mph in 6.1 seconds (0-100km/h in 6.5 seconds) with fuel economy of up to 37.2mpg (6.3litres/100km) and CO2 from 199g/km. Series sequential turbos and an advanced after-treatment system make it one of the world's leading clean diesel engines.

The new in-line Ingenium diesel engine designs meet Real Driving Emissions Step 2 (RDE2) standards and Euro 6d-final real-world driving compliance with 48V Mild-Hybrid Electric Vehicle (MHEV) technology boosting responses and fuel economy. As a result, the new Ingenium diesel unit - also now available in the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport - is one of the world's leading clean diesel engines.

Additionally, the next generation four-cylinder Ingenium D200 (204PS diesel) is introduced on the Range Rover Velar, offering more power, lower CO2 and improved fuel economy. The engine is offered with the same 48-volt mild hybrid technology as the rest of the range, with CO2 from 165g/km and fuel economy of up to 44.9mpg (6.3 litres/100km).

Velar features a reductive design, emphasised with beautifully integrated digital screens that are now fitted with Land Rover's state-of-the-art infotainment system, Pivi and Pivi Pro. The intelligent and intuitive system, offered as Pivi Pro from an S-specification pack, transforms the digital experience inside Velar.

Pivi is designed around ease of use, with a simple interface reducing the number of interactions to enhance safety. Crisp new graphics and super-fast responsiveness are enabled with a new electrical architecture under the surface, ensuring the screens and navigation system are ready to go in seconds, thanks also to a dedicated power source. Customers can access software updates 'over-the-air' reducing the need to visit a retailer. An embedded data connection means customers have access to the latest maps, apps and vehicle software modules with updates scheduled via the touchscreen at a time to suit them.

Streaming music and media has never been simpler. Spotify is integrated directly within the infotainment menu for the first time, with data included, while there's Bluetooth connectivity for two phones at once.

Nick Rogers, Executive Director, Product Engineering at Jaguar Land Rover, said: "The Range Rover Velar's name and bloodline dates back to the code name of the original Range Rover prototypes. It has been fifty years since the introduction of the pioneering Range Rover in 1970, and now every family member is electrified with our awesome plug-in hybrid technology. Electrified powertrains and cleaner mild hybrid diesel engines mean the Velar is an even more efficient and sustainable option for our customers. Jaguar Land Rover's new Electrical Vehicle Architecture - EVA 2.0 - supports the new Pivi and Pivi Pro infotainment, as well as Software-Over-The-Air (SOTA), and a whole suite of advanced driver assistance systems, cameras and clean-air technology, making the Range Rover Velar cleaner, safer and smarter than ever before and one of the most technologically advanced luxury SUVs in the world."

The experience inside the Range Rover Velar is now an even calmer sanctuary with the addition of Active Road Noise Cancellation. The intelligent technology works like a pair of high-end noise cancellation headphones, constantly monitoring vibrations from the road surface and calculating the opposite phase sound wave needed to remove the noise heard by the occupants. The effect is subtle, but the minimum reduction of 4 decibels ensures an even more refined and calming interior space. The system is even able to adjust the level and position of sounds played into the cabin based on the number of passengers and their position inside the vehicle by using the seatbelt sensors. This advanced system delivers a more serene experience inside Velar, even reducing driver tiredness, which can be brought about by extended exposure to low-frequency sound on long journeys.

A new Cabin Air Filtration system enhances the relaxing and clean sanctuary inside Velar, reducing levels of harmful particulates, pollen and even odours. The new system - introduced in addition to the existing Cabin Air Ionisation feature - filters out fine particulate matter, allergens, pollen and even strong smells. Activated via a 'Purify' button in the lower touchscreen, it is capable of filtering ultrafine particulates (up to and even below PM2.5). Drivers and passengers can be assured the air they breathe inside the Range Rover Velar is cleaner than the air outside.

Also available is the new second-generation wearable Activity Key, which can totally replace the traditional key fob when necessary. The water-resistant and shock-proof wrist device now incorporates an LCD watch and allows customers to start, stop, lock and unlock the vehicle, with no need to take a traditional key fob out with them.

Additional new design features introduced on Velar include a new steering wheel design which has integrated smart buttons ready to receive the latest ADAS software updates over-the-air. A tactile new Drive Selector also replaces the rotary gear selector.

The 'Range Rover Velar Edition' provides even more customer choice and features a combination of exterior and interior upgrades. Based on the R-Dynamic SE specification, enhancements include a black contrast roof and matching 20-inch black alloy wheels, for sophisticated presence. The distinctive new special edition model is available exclusively in Lantau Bronze metallic paint, as well as the new Hakuba Silver, Santorini Black or Eiger Grey.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...e0bad43187.png

Chief F1 Fan 05-07-2021 08:57 AM

My opinion hasn't waivered on RR products in a long time: while they look great, the reliability of the marque overall is horrendous. I'd never buy one of these. It's an emotional purchase I suspect, one detached from obvious reality were you to buy one.

00TL-P3.2 05-07-2021 09:00 AM

:nod: At least on the RR side, that seems the case. LR doesn't seem to have the same 'built by 3rd shift on a Friday' reputation.
Lady in my office, her husband has a newer Disco (their 2nd, IIRC, with a MB CLA in between) & it's been trouble free so far.

00TL-P3.2 02-02-2023 09:24 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/land_rove...e_rover_velar/

The New Range Rover Velar is a pure expression of modern luxury, featuring the latest technology, trademark Range Rover refinement and a dramatic, clean and reductive new design.

A new grille combines with the characteristic floating roof, unbroken waistline and flush deployable door handles that define the world's most desirable luxury SUV family. New super-slim Pixel LED headlights provide a technical, jewel-like appearance and optimised visibility while the exterior is enhanced by a new lower rear bumper and dark accents.

The Range Rover Velar pioneered Range Rover's reductive design philosophy and it takes this approach to a new level inside. The new single floating 11.4-inch curved glass touchscreen is integrated into the centre console, providing immediate and intuitive control of all key vehicle functions.

A full suite of technologies promotes passenger comfort and wellbeing, making the mid-size luxury SUV even more desirable. The Range Rover Velar also offers the quietest vehicle in its class for road noise, thanks to refinement technologies including the pioneering Active Road Noise Cancellation system.

The plug-in electric hybrid Velar is more capable and flexible than ever, with a greater pure-electric driving range of up to 64km (40 miles)10 thanks to a redesigned battery pack, while the choice of highly advanced petrol and diesel engines feature mild hybrid technology for assured refinement and fuel efficiency.

Clients can choose from Velar S, Dynamic SE, Dynamic HSE and Autobiography.

Prof Gerry McGovern OBE, Chief Creative Officer, Jaguar Land Rover, said: "New Range Rover Velar is a flawless example of our modernist design philosophy - clean, reductive and compellingly desirable. Defined by perfectly optimised proportions, Range Rover Velar embodies effortless sophistication with a bold elegance and dramatic presence that is truly unique."

Intriguing design

The Range Rover Velar pioneered Range Rover's reductive design philosophy and its new grille - alongside the introduction of new Pixel LED Headlights with jewel-like effect Signature Daytime Running Lights - ensure a unified look across the entire family.

At the rear, the powerful overhang provides balance and highlights the Range Rover Velar's imposing length. Its pronounced kick adds to its muscular stance while the new lower rear bumper enhances its proportions, featuring hidden tailpipes for a clean and elegant appearance.

New LED taillights echo this sophistication with an eye-catching 3D appearance and super-red illumination. They are complemented by a full-length high-level stop-lamp.

Inside, the bold, elegant interior of the Range Rover Velar is even more reductive, with outstanding craftmanship and new materials. The latest evolution of Range Rover's Pivi Pro infotainment forms the centrepiece; a single 11.4-inch floating curved glass interface is ergonomically positioned higher and within easier reach, to help minimise distraction and reflections.

Range Rover Velar continues to offer a leather-free cabin option, with new seat designs and materials. The leather-free option combines wool from Danish textile experts KvadratTM with UltrafabricsTM polyurethane textile inserts, featuring a new Diamond Herringbone perforation pattern. Inspired by bespoke tailoring, KvadratTM wool blends are 58 per cent lighter than leather and provide a modern appearance and enhanced tactility for a contemporary take on traditional Range Rover luxury.

The innovative textile has been subjected to rigorous in-house durability testing in the Range Rover materials lab to ensure it delivers customary robustness throughout the lifetime of the vehicle, going through 60,000 cycles of abrasion testing - the equivalent of 10 years of use - together with UV testing capable of simulating three years' exposure to harsh sunlight, in only one month.

Four new leather colourways are introduced: Cloud, Caraway, Raven Blue and Deep Garnet. These are complemented by a curated choice of details, including new Moonlight Chrome on the steering wheel, centre console surrounds and air vents. Technical Light Anodised or Dark Anodised Aluminium, or tactile Shadow Grey Ash wood veneer trim finishers underline its elegance.

Two new colour options join the exterior palette: Metallic Varesine Blue and Premium Metallic Zadar Grey.

Connected technology

New Range Rover Velar is the first to feature the next-generation Pivi Pro infotainment. It incorporates controls for all key vehicle functions within the new 11.4-inch curved glass touchscreen; its clean design appearing as if it is floating.

Controls for the climate, seating and audio volume are always visible at each side of the screen via new sidebars, featuring multi-functional sliding controls on either side. These virtual buttons are always visible and provide immediate access to frequently used items, including individual temperature controls for the front occupants, audio volume and Terrain Response® modes.

At the beginning of every journey, drivers are presented with a Pre-Drive panel for fast access to commonly used features, such as window demisters and the optional heated seats. Once on the move, it disappears to reveal the familiar three-panel home screen that can be customised with trademark Pivi Pro intelligence and flexibility.

For added convenience, additional controls in the permanently visible side bars include shortcuts for media and navigation, cameras and window demisters.

The next-generation infotainment was the subject of extensive testing and development, both digitally and physically with human testers, to reduce task and interaction time and deliver the most user-friendly technology experience possible. Approximately 80 per cent of tasks are able to be performed within two taps of the home screen.

Pivi Pro supports effortless smartphone connectivity with Wireless Apple CarPlay™. Wireless Android Auto® is also supported, while Wireless Device Charging - from a new stowage area in the centre console - provides immediate fast charging and reduces the need for wires.

With 80 per cent of the vehicle's total ECUs - spanning Pivi Pro infotainment, navigation mapping, and on-board diagnostics as well as chassis and powertrain systems - capable of wireless updates, the Range Rover Velar is able to receive the latest Software Over The Air with no need to visit a retailer.

New Range Rover Velar is also Wi-Fi Enabled with a Data Plan, ensuring occupants remain entertained and connected. Pivi Pro features twin embedded eSIM technology and cloud-based architecture, meaning it provides full access to a range of online apps - including Spotify and Deezer - integrated within the infotainment system.

Amazon Alexa brings a new level of convenience, providing the ability to control various settings and features using natural voice commands while reducing the potential for distraction. Alexa is embedded in Pivi Pro and can simply be activated by saying "Alexa" or tapping the Alexa button on the touchscreen.

For simple navigation, what3words is also integrated within Pivi Pro. The clever mapping technology divides the globe into a grid of 3m x 3m squares, each assigned a unique combination of three random words to provide a what3words address. With these words drivers can navigate to an accurate and precise location.

Immersive sound and technology

The cosseting cabin of the Range Rover Velar minimises road noise with pioneering Active Road Noise Cancellation technology8 - ensuring the New Range Rover Velar offers the quietest vehicle in its class for road noise. This technology senses external frequencies and automatically processes an anti-noise through the vehicle's audio system, reducing overall interior noise levels by a minimum of 4dB - the equivalent of turning the volume down by four steps.

A range of powerful Meridian audio systems for New Range Rover Velar is led by the optional Meridian™ 3D Surround Sound System, which delivers high-fidelity music playback using up to 17 speakers and 750W of amplifier power for an immersive listening experience.

Contemporary luxury

The New Range Rover Velar provides customary Range Rover refinement in a calm sanctuary, with heightened comfort and optional convenience features that help to promote wellbeing.

Nick Collins, Executive Director Vehicle Programmes, Jaguar Land Rover said: "Everything about the Range Rover Velar is effortless, and this is reflected in its luxuriously appointed interior. New seat designs and warm, atmospheric cabin lighting welcome the driver at the beginning of every journey, while advanced wellbeing features, including state-of-the-art air purification systems, ensure a relaxing cabin environment. Coupled with Velar's signature intelligent driveline systems, every drive is quiet, composed and serene."

The latest Cabin Air Purification Plus system is available as part of the optional Comfort Pack (or standard on Autobiography) to help promote occupant wellbeing and alertness, aiming to provide superior air quality. CO2 Management and PM2.5 Cabin Air Filtration improve the cabin environment by monitoring interior and exterior air and adjusting accordingly.

To activate, clients can simply press the Purify button on the Air Quality page within Pivi Pro and reduce the level of harmful allergens or particulates inside. The system also combines nanoe™ X technology to combat pathogens and help significantly reduce odours, bacteria and allergens.

Configurable Cabin Lighting provides a choice of 30 interior colours to illuminate the doors, console and footwells as part of the optional Comfort Pack. Preset colour themes make it easier to find the perfect combination, while every occupant can select their ideal interior temperature using the four-zone climate control.

When it comes to greater visibility in the dark, New Range Rover Velar pushes the boundaries of pixel LED lighting technology with advanced Pixel LED Headlights with Signature Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). Standard on Dynamic HSE and Autobiography, the system features three times as many LEDs as Matrix LED headlights. Each headlight features four pixel modules with 67 precisely controlled LEDs in each one to accurately adapt to the conditions and the road ahead and provide the most effective forward beam.

Dynamic Bend Lighting9 uses speed and steering data to respond to the road and illuminate dark corners and verges, while the high beam range can focus light almost half a kilometre in front, for optimum visibility.

Able to cast shadows around four oncoming objects and avoid dazzling, Adaptive Driving Beam automatically adapts to vehicle speed, casting a wide beam at low speeds and a more intense, longer beam above 70km/h.

Whatever the conditions, New Range Rover Velar feels a confident, commanding, and relaxing place to be.

Electrified performance and capability

New Range Rover Velar has power to suit every client, including the P400e plug-in electric hybrid. It is available alongside a range of smooth Ingenium petrol and diesel engines, all featuring Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicle (MHEV) technology that boosts fuel efficiency and performance.

Trademark Range Rover ride comfort and refinement is provided by advanced chassis and suspension set-ups in the Range Rover Velar. Optional Electronic Air Suspension provides serene comfort, maintaining its composure on rougher roads while smoothing out bumps with Adaptive Dynamics, an advanced chassis system that continuously varies the damping forces at each wheel.

James Sanderson, Lifecycle Chief Engineer, Range Rover Velar, said: "Range Rover Velar combines confidence-inspiring driving dynamics with a range of smooth and efficient engine options. By increasing the size of the battery by 12 per cent, we've been able to extend the EV driving range of the P400e plug-in electric hybrid to 64km (40 miles). With the added benefit of rapid DC charging capability, clients will be able to complete daily journeys using EV power more easily than ever."

The advanced P400e electric hybrid provides the best of all worlds, combining a 105kW electric motor with an Ingenium petrol engine to provide effortless and hushed performance.

The balance of electric-only driving and petrol performance means the Range Rover Velar P400e is perfect for short urban trips and longer journeys. It has an expected real-world range of up to 51km (32 miles) - enough to ensure the average daily distance driven in a Range Rover Velar could be done with zero tailpipe emissions. For longer journeys, the plug-in hybrid powertrain provides a combined real-world 684km (425 miles) of petrol and electric range.

Using electric power alone, it can drive for up to 64km (40 miles), while overall CO2 emissions are 38g/km on the WLTP cycle, with fuel consumption of 1.6l/100km (176mpg). The electric-only range has increased by over 20 per cent from the previous 53km (33 miles) thanks to its larger 19.2kW battery.

With a combined 404PS and 640Nm of torque from its 300PS 2.0-litre four-cylinder Ingenium petrol engine and 105kW electric motor, the P400e is capable of accelerating from 0-100km/h in 5.4 seconds (0-60mph in 5.1 seconds), with a 209km/h (130mph) top speed. It can also travel on electric power alone up to 140km/h (87mph).

The P400e is one of very few plug-in electric hybrid vehicles capable of rapid DC charging, with a 0-80 per cent charge possible in as little as 30 minutes away from home using a 50kW charger. At home, it can charge from 0-100 per cent using a 7kW AC charger in around two and a half hours.

The latest generation of Ingenium petrol and diesel engines are available with 48-volt MHEV technology for enhanced efficiency and power delivery, using a Belt integrated Starter Generator (BiSG) to harvest energy usually lost under deceleration. It is stored in a 48-volt lithium-ion battery beneath the rear loadspace. It can redeploy the energy to assist when accelerating, while also delivering a more refined and responsive start-stop system.

The 3.0-litre straight-six Ingenium petrol engine is available in two power outputs. The P340 delivers 340PS and 480Nm of torque, with acceleration from 0-100km/h in 6.3 seconds (0-60mph in 6.0 seconds). The more powerful P400 delivers 400PS and 550Nm of torque, with acceleration from 0-100km/h in 5.5 seconds (0-60mph in 5.2 seconds) with CO2 from 219g/km.

The 2.0-litre four-cylinder now features a new smoother-shifting automatic eight-speed transmission. The P250 provides 250PS and 365Nm of torque, with 0-100km/h in 7.5 seconds (0-60mph in 7.1 seconds), CO2 emissions from 211g/km and fuel consumption up to 9.3l/100km (30.4mpg).

The 3.0-litre straight-six D300 diesel engine produces 300PS and 650Nm of torque to deliver powerful performance, with acceleration from 0-100km/h in 6.5 seconds (0-60mph in 6.1 seconds). Series sequential turbos and an advanced after-treatment system are fitted, with CO2 emissions from 188g/km and fuel consumption of 7.2l/100km (39.2mpg).

The 2.0-litre, four-cylinder D200 Ingenium diesel engine produces 204PS with CO2 emissions from 168g/km and fuel consumption of up to 6.4l/100km (44.1mpg).

The Range Rover Velar engine range:
  • Electric Hybrid
    • P400e - 404PS, 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol PHEV, 640Nm of torque at 1,500-4,400rpm, eight-speed automatic, AWD
  • Petrol
    • P250 - 250PS 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol, 365Nm of torque at 1,300-4,500rpm, eight-speed automatic, AWD
    • P340 - 340PS, 3.0-litre six-cylinder petrol MHEV, 480Nm of torque at 1,500-4,500rpm, eight-speed automatic, AWD
    • P400 - 400PS, 3.0-litre six-cylinder petrol MHEV, 550Nm of torque at 2,000-5,000rpm, eight-speed automatic, AWD
  • Diesel
    • D200 - 204PS, 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel MHEV, 430Nm of torque at 1,750-2,500rpm, eight-speed automatic, AWD
    • D300 - 300PS, 3.0-litre six-cylinder diesel MHEV, 650Nm of torque at 1,500-2,500rpm, eight-speed automatic, AWD
Adaptive Dynamics is standard on all six-cylinder and PHEV models as well as all Dynamic HSE-specification four-cylinder models, and ensures suspension stiffness is optimised for the driving conditions, improving ride comfort and handling. There's even a specific calibration for off-road driving. Advanced chassis and suspensions, including Electronic Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics and Configurable Dynamics, deliver exceptional performance and agility on-road.

Supreme all-terrain performance is also guaranteed, with assured Range Rover breadth of capability thanks to an intelligent torque on-demand all-wheel drive (AWD) system. It provides the optimum torque distribution to suit the conditions, whether driving dynamically on the road or pulling away from a standstill on slippery surfaces.

Terrain Response 2® is accessible through Pivi Pro and allows the driver to adjust vehicle settings to suit the driving environment, with a choice of Eco, Comfort, Grass-Gravel-Snow, Mud-Ruts, Sand, Dynamic and Automatic mode. Each alters the calibration of the engine, transmission, all-wheel drive system, suspension, and stability control systems for optimum traction and composure.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...9f3b514c4c.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...5f76989392.png
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...b0365d235c.png
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...441085f7a0.png
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...881615f85d.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...6e330421d6.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...a040dad4e4.png

00TL-P3.2 02-02-2023 09:25 AM

Have to say, this may be the best looking model in the RR range.
Have seen a couple of the new RR on the road :ugly: especially from the rear.

SamDoe1 02-02-2023 09:43 AM

I saw a new Range in person the other day, looks pretty good!

Too bad these all have the reliability of a meth head though.