Land Rover: Range Rover News

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Land Rover: Range Rover News

...at least in Europe (this comes from Auto Express)

--------------------------------

V12 Power For Range Sport

Hold that order for the Porsche Cayenne - it seems the Range Rover Sport is going to be far more of a performer than anyone imagined. An insider has spilled the beans on the entire project to Auto Express, including amazing plans for an Aston Martin-engined V12 version.

He told us: "The 'baby' Range Rover - codenamed L320 - will use a supercharged Jaguar V8 uprated to 450bhp. Despite this, it'll have such clean emissions it will get everyone guessing on how it was achieved.

But despite its huge power, this won't be the flagship. "Aston's new German engine plant is to be the source of V12s, which are presently undergoing engineering evaluation. This car will be built in small numbers to ensure exclusivity," said our source. He also told us the Sport will not use a monocoque bodyshell like the Range Rover, but will instead have a traditional separate chassis. The new Discovery and Range Rover will also use this T5 platform. Despite appearing to be a backward step, the advanced underpinnings are said to offer excellent on-road dynamics with the strength needed for off-roading.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-06-2003, 10:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dancing Disco? Land Rover adds sporty spice to future models

By JULIAN RENDELL

(Photos @copy 2003 John Johnson)
SPORTINESS IS TAKING on new stature at Land Rover.

Not only is a 400-hp, supercharged Range Rover Sport model due in 2006, but the
new Discovery due late next year will arrive all sporty, too. The mere fact that the new Discovery has been spotted testing at the Nürburgring is telling for a vehicle that in its previous two generations wouldn’t have been worth pointing trackward.

Although the Discovery keeps its boxy dimensions, it is based on an all-new ladder frame that pushes the wheels to the corners of the truck. And it features a Range Rover-derived suspension with air springs and rack-and-pinion steering, a big improvement over today’s technology.

Performance is promising, thanks to the first appearance of a Jaguar V8 engine in a Land Rover—a 4.4-liter version of the new XJ8’s 4.2-liter. A Ford Explorer-derived 4.0-liter V6 will provide entry-level power. With 300 hp, the four-valve-per-cylinder V8 promises much slicker acceleration and refinement than the 185-hp, 16-valve pushrod V8 in today’s Disco, an engine that traces its ancestry
to the 3.5-liter GM unit sold to the Brits in 1965.

Matched with a luxury interior, the new Discovery is expected to be more of a junior Range Rover than a utility carryall.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sporty ride on 3 wheels?
Old 10-06-2003, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance SUVs are so damn dumb. But not as dumb as the people who buy em.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
No shit they gotta lower the center of gravity. Who wants an suv thats always on 3 wheels. What am i watching a snoop video.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:52 PM
The hair says it all

Originally posted by brian6speed
No shit they gotta lower the center of gravity. Who wants an suv thats always on 3 wheels. What am i watching a snoop video.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Performance SUVs are so damn dumb. But not as dumb as the people who buy em.
My oldman ordered a Cayenne Turbo, just wanted something a bit different than the normal BS.

Granted, my oldman is a bit nutty......but made his own $ in business.

So he can't be that dumb.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

2006 Range Rover News **Official Pics and Specs (page 1)**

The Range Rover for 2006 - a superior blend of luxury and performance
today released images of its flagship vehicle, the 2006 Range Rover. In addition to its striking new exterior details—including front grille and bumper, power vents, lamps and wheels—the 2006 model gains two new powerful engine options, including a supercharged version.

“The Range Rover has always been the world’s most complete luxury vehicle,” says Land Rover’s managing director Matthew Taylor. “With this new flagship for the company, we believe that the best luxury SUV in the world is now even better.”

Two new engines add to Range Rover’s performance upgrade. A normally aspirated 4.4-liter V8 engine produces 305bhp, while a supercharged 4.2-liter V8 produces 400bhp; making this the most powerful Land Rover ever.

Both engines are lightweight and use advanced torque-based engine management systems that, together with drive-by-wire throttle control and variable camshaft phasing (on the normally aspirated), continually adjust the engine to deliver optimum performance, fuel economy and emissions.

While the result is increased performance, the upgraded engines are expected to have better fuel economy than the outgoing V8.

The Range Rover retains its iconic shape, but there are subtle yet distinct changes. All Range Rovers for 2006 get a new front bumper design, new headlamps and taillights, a new front grille and revised power vents. New 19-inch alloy wheels are also offered. The supercharged derivatives are distinguished by additional styling modifications including mesh-design front grille and power vents, unique 20-inch alloy wheels, and special black-on-silver badges.

“We’ve only changed the design where we can provide subtle enhancements,” says Land Rover’s director of design Geoff Upex. “The Range Rover is about grace and class, not extravagance.”

Additional enhancements for 2006 include:

Dynamics: Sharper steering, crisper braking performance, and improved air suspension.

Refinement: A quieter interior and additional color combinations.

Technology: Adaptive headlights, tire-pressure monitoring, touch-screen control for audio, phone and off-road driving information.

Safety: A rear-view camera that projects directly to the front-fascia screen.

Entertainment: Available rear seat entertainment package featuring a six-disc DVD changer, twin screens, and headphone pods, all fully integrated with the vehicle’s sound system.

The Range Rover for 2006 will be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in January, and will be available in North America in summer of 2005. It will be joined by Range Rover Sport, providing Land Rover with two premium vehicles at the top of its range.

Pricing and detailed specification will be announced closer to launch date.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:56 AM
on to the next one...

I LOVE the Range Rovers, I can't wait to see these new ones in person, and the 400hp supercharged engine would be fun to test out..... too bad they are only offering it now just to keep up with the Cayenne, which still has one up on Range Rover with their 450hp Turbo model..but at least Range Rover is trying..
Old 12-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
.but at least Range Rover is trying..
At least the Range Rover looks good

I don't hate the Cayenne.....but the Turbo doesn't look much different than the $45k V6.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:34 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Like the grille!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:41 AM
Safety Car

Tasteful revisions. Very nice job on the front... I had a feeling they'd come out with the Jag inspired engine in found in the new LR3 after the LR3 was introduced. The old 280HP engine is now inadequate for the flagship.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:44 PM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by Beltfed
At least the Range Rover looks good

I don't hate the Cayenne.....but the Turbo doesn't look much different than the $45k V6.

Don't get me wrong, I would MUCH rather have the RR if I had the money. Besides, if I had that kinda money, I doubt the SUV would be my only automobile...save the speed for a sports car, I think a red Ferrari would look damn good parked next to a black Range Rover.....
B
Old 12-27-2004, 10:42 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I HATE range rovers...

fucking status symbol cars driven by every nimrod with cash out here in LA. And as usual they dont know how to drive them, but they think they own the road.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by sarlacc23
I HATE range rovers...
The RR is actually an incredible vehicle (my oldman has an 04)...its not a big POS like the Escalade happens to be.

Unfortunately, there will always be those who buy them because of the name.

Sames goes for Bentley, Astons, etc.

But overall, the RR is just about the finest SUV on the planet...not to mention about the best looking.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:43 AM
on to the next one...

The RR is actually an incredible vehicle (my oldman has an 04)...its not a big POS like the Escalade happens to be.

But overall, the RR is just about the finest SUV on the planet...not to mention about the best looking.
my old man finally got an 04' after having two late model Escalades and a 2000 Navigator. The RR is such a superior SUV they are barely even comparable. With it's power and refinement, I would liken it to driving a 745. It is very nicely appointed as well.

B
Old 12-28-2004, 02:57 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts

I know I know...I just get sick of seeing them everywhere by people who really have no business owning them...and then proceeding to almost cause accidents wherever they drive it.

It was like the Merc ML when it first came out.....but of course people still dont know how to drive those.

funny story...my friends parents moved back to states this year (new zealanders) and the dad bought a brand new SL, and bought his wife a new RX330 (thats what she wanted.) He buys his shit in cash (loaded) so its no big deal, but less then 3 months later my friend and his dad took her rx330 and traded it in on a new 330xi...they both felt she had no business driving around an SUV
Old 12-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sarlacc23
but less then 3 months later my friend and his dad took her rx330 and traded it in on a new 330xi...they both felt she had no business driving around an SUV
^^ Hehehe
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,649 Likes on 13,889 Posts
Post 2008 Land Rover Range Rover

Press release...

Enhancements to the Range Rover for 2008 add a series of further luxury touches and practical new features, including four-zone air conditioning. The improvements are expected to help maintain the strong market performance of the Range Rover, with sales in the first four months of 2007 already 19% up worldwide over last year.

"That increase is largely due to the huge popularity of the acclaimed TDV8 diesel that we introduced to the Range Rover line-up last year," says Phil Popham, Land Rover's managing director. "The engine's great combination of performance and fuel economy has not only powered overall Range Rover sales, but also shifted our diesel/petrol mix, especially in Europe. Most Range Rover customers who would previously have bought a V8 petrol now choose a TDV8 instead, which offers petrol-like refinement but with 32% better fuel economy."

The list of changes for 2008 is headed by the introduction of four-zone air conditioning, which enables rear seat passengers to control their individual heating and ventilation. This is neatly complemented with 'climate control' windscreen and side glass which is now available in conjunction with automatic rain and headlight sensing. The special glass cuts infrared heat transmission into the vehicle, reducing heat build up when the vehicle is parked in the sun, for example, so allowing the air conditioning to function faster and more effectively on drive away.

A redesigned rear seat armrest provides extra stowage space (including a dedicated location for the optional rear seat entertainment remote control) and there is additional leather trim on the heating and ventilation unit and centre console. There are now a total of seven real wood veneers to choose from, all sourced from sustainable forests, and additional wood veneer elements have been applied to the rear of the centre console. A matching wooden gear knob has also been introduced on some models.

The attention to detail extends to new tread-plates and revised graphics on the touch-screen and instruments. A new interior colour becomes available, called Storm, as well as two new exterior colours, Alaska White and Lucerne Green, and a fresh set of "designers' choices" for recommended interior and exterior combinations. There is also a new, highly polished 20" alloy wheel design.

"We are keeping the Range Rover offering fresh with regular changes: some are major, like the TDV8 engine last year – which, incidentally, will now be badged on the back of the vehicle – while others are about the detail, such as those coming in for 2008," says Phil Popham. "And this approach seems to have continuing appeal for our customers, as we're on track for one of our best ever sales years with the Range Rover."
Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
New Range Rover 2012 details

AUTOCAR source.

A new, lightweight Range Rover featuring a roomier, super-luxury interior and 40mpg fuel economy is due in autumn 2012.

The all-alloy Range Rover will also form the basis of a new Range Rover Sport which, for the first time, will also be offered with a seven-seat interior; that variant will become the successor to the current Discovery.

Both of the new Range Rover models are in the final stages of their engineering definition and the styling of the Range Rover (project L405) will be signed off in the middle of this year.

The new Range Rover will have a similar footprint to today’s car — it grows by around 25mm to a shade under five metres long — so the main change is a lower roofline. That will reduce the Range Rover’s perceived bulk and also cut aerodynamic drag.

Styling and construction

Land Rover’s styling team, led by chief Gerry McGovern, is working with a similar palette of design details to today’s car. So expect an imposing upright nose and horizontal, multi-bar grille, oblong headlights, together with a flat beltline and airy glasshouse, topped by the characteristic floating roof.

The all-new, pressed-alloy platform has given engineers the freedom to create a more spacious interior package. The wheels have been pushed closer to the front and rear corners, extending the wheelbase by around 25mm. Thanks to this gain, the extra 25mm in overall length and internal packaging improvements, the new car will feature much improved rear legroom, up by 125mm.

“The feedback from existing customers was [that they wanted] more rear legroom, so that’s what we’re going to give them,” said one insider. Although the roofline is lower, packaging improvements will ensure similar headroom to today’s Range Rover.

Land Rover’s design team is working on Bentley levels of cabin quality with a harmonious mix of leather, wood and metallic finishes. “The level of workmanship in the interior will really knock out the opposition,” said another well placed insider.

Under the skin, the new alloy bodyshell of riveted pressings has some commonality with Jaguar’s new XJ, although JLR counts the two structures as separate platforms. Similarly, the electrical system is shared between the two.

Alloy construction will bring huge weight benefits. Land Rover is understood to be targeting a kerb weight saving of 450kg, which will cut the new Range Rover down to 2150kg.

Around half that loss is understood to come from the alloy bodyshell, while the other half comes from detailed engineering improvements, lighter components and advanced materials.

Some of the body panels are understood to be made of composite materials, including the front wings and possibly the rear tailgate.

Engines

The new lightweight Range Rover will record some spectacular improvements in economy, C02 and performance.

Two diesel engines will be offered at launch: a 300bhp TDV8 and a 260bhp TDV6, mated to eight-speed ZF gearboxes with stop-start. Petrol V8s will be available soon after. The extra power and lower kerb weight means that the V8 diesel will offer a 0-60mph time of less than 8.0sec and close to 30mpg.

The TDV6 is likely to take over from the V8 as the best-seller thanks to its blend of fuel economy and performance. The target is get the TDV6 under 200g/km of C02, a spectacular figure given that today’s Range Rover is a 300g/km car. Performance should match the outgoing TDV8.

Also due a couple of years after launch is a super-frugal diesel hybrid. After experimenting with capacitors in place of batteries, Land Rover is understood to be taking a more conventional approach. The target is low C02 emissions, possibly of around 170g/km.

Off-road

The new Range Rover will use the world’s first alloy-monocoque 4x4 bodyshell, so much thought has gone into making it rugged enough to survive off road.

With that in mind, Land Rover will mount the front and rear suspensions on tough subframes. They will feed suspension loads into the bodyshell through advanced soft-rubber bushes.

The drivetrain will continue to feature a transfer box and the front and rear axles will be tough enough to survive the worst conditions and abuse that Land Rover’s engineers can chuck at them.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:38 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Pics?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

It's still going to break down every month.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Old 04-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's only a rendering by Autocar...
Old 04-08-2010, 01:45 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

It'll take some getting used to.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Try posting in the actual car model's existing thread, yes?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Try posting in the actual car model's existing thread, yes?
Werd..motion for a thread merge?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:30 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm

hope it is better made
Old 04-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by HBaJ
Werd..motion for a thread merge?
Done!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I absolutely love the current Range. I know they're one of the most unreliable cars on the ride but the exclusivity and officialness of them is unmatched. I will own one someday...
Old 04-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sclass88
I absolutely love the current Range. I know they're one of the most unreliable cars on the ride but the exclusivity and officialness of them is unmatched. I will own one someday...
Poser! lol.....
Old 04-09-2010, 06:07 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
BEEN THERE DONE THAT...... the exclusivity lasts about 2 years, then your shit starts breakin down...then the new model comes out & your left thinking FAWK, I should sell this CEREAL BOX ON WHEELS & go buy an ACURA... so I did.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2011 Land Rover Range Rover

Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

• New 4.4-litre LR-TDV8
o Power 313PS (an increase of 15.1 percent)
o Torque increased by 9.4 percent to 700Nm
o 14 percent reduction in CO2 (down to 253g/km)
o Fuel consumption improved by 18.5 percent to 30.1mpg (EU combined)
o 0-60mph in 7.5 seconds
o 50-75mph drops from 6.3 seconds to 5.1 seconds
o Top speed 130mph
o Meets EU5 emissions regulations

• New ZF 8HP70 automatic transmission
o First 8-speed gearbox ever fitted to a Range Rover (LR-TDV8 only)
o Closer ratios improve comfort
o Wider ratio spread improves efficiency
o Transmission Idle Control reduces fuel consumption

• Terrain Response® enhancements
o Gradient Acceleration Control
o Hill Start Assist

• Improved interior equipment levels with optional reclining rear seats and laminated privacy glass

• Revised exterior design features enhance Range Rover’s classic looks

• Optional Exterior Design Pack in a choice of eight colours

• Optional Harman Kardon Logic 7 1200 watt 19 speaker audio system

• Choice of five new alloy wheels

• 5.0-litre Supercharged LR-V8
o 510PS, 625Nm torque, EU5

"The 2011 Range Rover retains its position as one of the world's most complete luxury vehicles. Its combination of reduced CO2 emissions and superior engine performance continue to make it a clear industry benchmark. And with the introduction of our all-new 'super diesel', we see the Range Rover delivering over 30mpg for the first time.”
Phil Popham, Land Rover Managing Director

A new, class-leading V8 diesel engine, new 8-speed transmission, two significant Terrain Response® upgrades and subtle external styling all combine to ensure the 2011 Range Rover retains its crown as king of the luxury SUV segment.

The LR-TDV8 4.4-litre with parallel sequential turbocharging replaces the outstanding LR-TDV8 3.6-litre and is unique to the Range Rover. An all-new ‘super-diesel’, the LR-TDV8 combines superior power and massive torque with unparalleled levels of refinement. Despite the extra performance, this sublime V8 engine is cleaner too, delivering even lower fuel consumption and CO2 emissions than its predecessor and meeting the stringent EU5 emissions standards. The headline news, though, is that the combined cycle fuel consumption of the new LR-TDV8 4.4-litre is just 30.1mpg, making this the first Range Rover ever to better 30mpg.

With 313PS and 700Nm torque, the Range Rover’s new powertrain matches power with conscience, reducing CO2 emissions by an impressive 14 percent. The new diesel engine is helped in this respect by its marriage to an impressive new, electronically controlled, ZF 8HP70, 8-speed automatic gearbox tuned by Land Rover engineers to combine silky smooth shifting with exceptionally rapid response and outstanding fuel economy. This daunting combination is enough to catapult the Range Rover from rest to 60mph in a mere 7.5 seconds and complete the 50mph-75mph dash in just 5.1 seconds.

Available only on 4.4-litre LR-TDV8 models, this ‘smart’ transmission integrates with the diesel engine to deliver the most efficient operating regime in all conditions. To reflect the performance of the new 4.4-litre LR-TDV8, diesel models are fitted with the same Brembo-based braking system fitted to the 5.0-litre LR-V8 supercharged model. Providing the immense stopping power required for only the highest performing vehicles, the system comprises 380mm ventilated front discs with unique, lightweight aluminium six-piston opposed action monoblock calipers. 365mm ventilated discs with single piston sliding calipers are fitted at the rear.

For 2011, the Range Rover retains the same class-leading 5.0-litre LR-V8, supercharged petrol engine married to the ZF HP28 6-speed automatic transmission introduced in 2010. Developing 510PS and 625Nm torque the Supercharged LR-V8 will take the Range Rover from 0-60mph in a breath-taking 5.9 seconds.

The 2011 Range Rover is further enhanced by improvements to the Terrain Response® system in the form of Hill Start Assist and Gradient Acceleration Control. Inside the cabin there are optional illuminated treadplates for the front doors, new transmission controls for the diesel model, and improvements to the entertainment system. Detail improvement to the exterior include new ‘Jupiter’ grilles and side vents for the diesel models.

A new Exterior Design Pack option gives customers the chance to give their Range Rover a more individual look and new colours and wheels have been added to the range.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Looks the same to me.. lol
Old 06-28-2010, 12:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Still love that interior.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Will the reliability ever get off of the bottom of JDP list?

I assume this is Euro-only?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Old 06-28-2010, 12:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by biker
Will the reliability ever get off of the bottom of JDP list?

I assume this is Euro-only?
One does not buy a Range Rover for reliability.

Quick Reply: Land Rover: Range Rover News