Received 2,789 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by yumcha
+1
Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
Post 2013 Land Rover Defender

Press release...

Land Rover Defender customers seeking a higher level of specification can now enhance their vehicle even further with three additional options and a choice of two new body colours, Barolo Black and Havana.

Options of a new premium seat design, upgraded in-car entertainment and a choice of four new contrast roof colours are now available to Defender customers.

Substantial improvements were made to the specification last year, including introduction of the EU5 2.2-litre diesel engine, ventilated discs, detail improvements to the interior and new option packs to the 'S' and 'SE' trim levels. Three speed-limiting options were also added for fleet users wanting to benefit from effective control of fuel costs.

"The appeal of the Land Rover Defender has been strengthened with the opportunity for customers to enhance their driving comfort and also to personalise their vehicle with a range of contrast roof colours. Underpinned by the powerful 2.2-litre diesel engine and its go anywhere capability, the iconic Defender retains the rugged appeal that it's always been famous for but now with even greater customer choice," says John Edwards, Land Rover Global Brand Director.

Three New Options

In 2012, the Defender gained a number of new option packs in addition to the 'S' and 'SE' trim levels. Customers can now further enhance their Defender's looks, comfort and versatility with a choice of three more options as well as the choice of two new body colours, Barolo Black and Havana.

Choice of Contrast Roof

Smart new, contrast roof colours can now be chosen against the majority of the Defender paint palette. In addition to the standard Fuji White, customers can now opt for Santorini Black, Indus Silver, Orkney Grey or Firenze Red. The Firenze Red for example, can be chosen with the Santorini Black roof and the Baltic Blue with Indus Silver or simply retain their body colour.

New Premium Seat Design

Premium part leather seats which contour your body are available to the driver and front seat passenger, sporting the Land Rover logo on the backrest. The style of the seat naturally enhances driving support and comfort over the toughest of terrain. An integrated, centre stitch line on the headrest is also visible and adopted to the current standard seat in the Defender.

Upgraded In-Car Entertainment System

The base audio system for the Defender has a single-slot CD player, USB, Aux jack and 4x50W amplification with an optional audio upgrade available for Bluetooth connectivity with remote microphone. This can be enhanced further with the optional, Alpine-branded Hi Line 150W low profile subwoofer system with 10cm coaxial speakers replacing the standard units.

The Land Rover Defender continues to offer four option packs which comprise of the following:

• Comfort Pack- Air conditioning, CD Player with auxiliary input and convenience pack.
• Exterior Pack- Brunel grille and headlamp surrounds, body coloured roof, wheel arches and side runners.
• Leather Pack- Part leather seats and leather steering wheel available on all body styles.
• Off-Road Pack- ABS, heavy duty rim and MTR tyre, tow ball and under-ride protection bar.
• A plain black Pick Up hood is also available as an option and a plain beige hood for the 110 Double Cab Pick Up. Both options are in addition to existing styles.
• All models have tinted glass and there's the option of part leather standard seats in addition to the new premium seats.

2.2-litre diesel engine

The EU5 2.2-litre diesel engine replaced the EU4 2.4-litre diesel in 2012, matching it for power, torque and fuel consumption, whilst a full acoustic engine cover replaced the previous splash cover, reducing radiated engine noise and improving driving refinement.

The 2.2-litre diesel engine produces 122PS@3,500rpm and torque of 360Nm@2,000rpm, giving a 0-60mph time of 14.7 seconds and a top speed of 90mph. CO2 emissions on the combined cycle are 266g/km for the Defender 90 and 295g/km for the 110 and 130.

The GFT MT 82 six-speed gearbox has an excellent ratio spread, high top gear for cruising and enhanced low-speed crawl capability. The lower first gear offers low crawl speed making towing on-road and off-road much easier. The low-down engine torque also helps in-gear acceleration and the tall sixth gear ensures excellent real-world cruising, refinement and fuel economy. Ground gears in both the gearbox and transfer box help contribute to the refinement of the transmission.

Versatile Interior

The Defender's facia continues to be based on a single, large moulding supported on a robust steel rail to help eliminate squeaks and rattles. The instruments provide clear, concise information to the driver with LED illumination. Versatile stowage shelves are conveniently located for both the driver and passenger and two console options are available: a practical open-tray design that keeps contents to hand and a large, lidded design that provides an impressive 14 litres of stowage.

A powerful heating and ventilation system is designed to cope with the most extreme climates and features aluminium plate and fin heat exchangers to deliver impressive performance.

Tall front seats are designed to improve maximum back support and headrest ergonomics in the most demanding of driving conditions and there are robust, supportive second row seats too. The 110 Station Wagon, 110 Double Cab Pick Up and 130 Crew Cab models, can comfortably accommodate three occupants on an asymmetrically-split second row seat. The Station Wagon derivatives have a spring-assisted fold mechanism which helps when folding the seats and when carrying large or awkward loads.

Defender 90 Station Wagon second row occupants benefit from a pair of individual, full-size, forward-facing rear seats. Providing excellent comfort levels, these seats are also available as a third row option on the 110 Station Wagon. Accessed either through the rear door or by folding the second row seats, they can be easily folded and stowed sideways in the loadspace.

Seat trims include durable all-vinyl and cloth specifications as well as the half-leather standard seat option and new Premium seats. Three-point safety belts are specified for all seating positions.

Unique Vehicle Architecture

Defender's unique vehicle architecture remains unchanged. The chassis frame is available in three different wheelbases and in both standard and heavy-duty guise (for even greater load-bearing capabilities). A total of 14 separate body styles - from pick-ups and soft-tops to crew cabs and station wagons - are produced on the mainstream production line. Beyond this, Land Rover's Engineered To Order team offer a range of products from standard drop-side or box-body conversions to bespoke design and build adaptations.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Goddamn this thing is hawt.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
GOD I love Defenders.

In SE Asia, you can buy the 90 and 110 for peanuts. Here locally, all of them are in Beverly Hills and Malibu and command 45K+$

In the Physician parking lot at UCLA, I see a Yellow one with Malibu stickers last 6 years.

I have left notes 2 times in the last 6 years asking if he wants to sell. He responded to the second note, "I have driven this thing 185K miles, I hope to reach you a million. If you are interested then, I will call you."

It was basically a polite, F U.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
^That's awesome
Old 01-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Safety Car

^^^

Yeah, gotta respect it. I am not a SUV guy, but if I won the lottery, I would buy the following:

Defender 110
Defender 90
H1 Alpha
FJ60
G63 AMG
Old 01-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Defenders are the of SUVs, IMO.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Defenders are the of SUVs, IMO.
No doubt. I have two other British cars. As pain in the butt they can be, they are immensely fun when they are running right
Old 01-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Someone in the Charlotte area has this badass 110. I freak out every time I see it

Old 01-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

^^

I seriously hope that isn't the Charlotte Chirpracter that got over 40 D90/110 confiscated from him by the FEds?
Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 PM

Old 01-22-2015, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Cool video...

Old 06-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2015 Land Rover Defender 2,000,000

Press release...

Celebrating 67 years of iconic Land Rover production, a unique vehicle has been built to commemorate the UK production of the two-millionth Series Land Rover and Defender.

With a bespoke design and an all-star cast of special guests helping to complete the momentous build, 'Defender 2,000,000' has been created to be a tribute to almost seven decades of Land Rover production in the Solihull plant, UK.

In December 2015, collectors and Defender fans will be given the opportunity to own this unique piece of Land Rover's history when it is auctioned by prestigious and globally renowned auction house, Bonhams. Reflecting Defender's heritage, all proceeds will be donated to Land Rover's humanitarian and conservation partners - the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and the Born Free Foundation.

Dr Ralf Speth, Chief Executive of Jaguar Land Rover, said: "Over 67 years, the Series Land Rover and in turn Defender has been the transport of choice for explorers, charity organisations, farmers and even royalty. Throughout history it has helped pioneers to reach the unreachable. What started life as an agricultural workhorse has transcended the automotive world to become a worldwide design icon. I was honoured to join the production line team in Solihull to help build this unique vehicle. It was a special experience which will no doubt become a fond memory.

"The auction of this milestone vehicle is an opportunity to own a piece of Land Rover's history, as Defender enters its final phase of manufacturing in Solihull. Giving people the chance to buy this truly distinctive Defender to raise funds for the IFRC and Born Free Foundation is a suitable way to celebrate the role that Defender has played in supporting our humanitarian aid and conservation partners over the decades."

During May 2015, a team of life-long Defender fans were invited to join the Solihull production line to help build this one-of-a-kind vehicle, including adventurer Bear Grylls.

Commenting while on the production line, Grylls said: "The Land Rover Defender has been there for me more times than I care to remember. They are so often the unsung heroes of our TV shows, working hard in the toughest conditions to get crew in and out of exceptionally challenging terrains. Known and respected by me and many other adventurers for their rugged reliability - it was an honour to be asked to take part in the build of this very special car."

Representatives from the IFRC and Born Free also made the journey to Solihull to fit their part to the vehicle, including actress and founder of the Born Free Foundation Virginia McKenna OBE.

The vehicle will be publicly unveiled by Bonhams at Goodwood Festival of Speed, being held 25-28 June. After completing a schedule of public appearances throughout the rest of the year, 'Defender 2,000,000' will be auctioned at a prestigious charity event, held at the Bonhams auction house in New Bond Street, London on Wednesday 16 December.

As part of the auction, Bonhams will host a specially curated Series Land Rover and Defender exhibition, to showcase the vehicle's rich history and detail its journey to becoming a global automotive icon.

Robert Brooks, Bonhams Chairman, said: "Bonhams and Land Rover are quintessentially British brands, and so we are delighted to be auctioning the two-millionth Series Land Rover and Defender on 16 December at our global headquarters in New Bond Street. It's an honour to offer this landmark vehicle and I've no doubt there will be some spirited bidding."

The 'Defender 2,000,000' vehicle features a plethora of distinctive finishing touches. A map of Red Wharf Bay - where the design for the original Land Rover was first drawn in the sand - is engraved into the aluminium fender, which contrasts with the exterior Indus Silver satin paint. A unique 'no 2,000,000' badge sits on the rear of the vehicle, which is mirrored on the interior console. The design is finished with Santorini Black wheels and wheel arches, roof, door hinges, grille and mirror caps.

Inside, the leather seats also feature the 'Red Wharf Bay' graphic and 'no 2,000,000' logos have been stitched on the headrests. A bespoke aluminium plaque, signed by everyone who helped to assemble the vehicle is fitted to the driver's seat plinth. On the front and rear, S90 HUE registration plates - a reference to the first ever pre-production Land Rover, registration 'HUE 166' - complete this one-of-a-kind Land Rover Defender.

Production of the original Land Rover Series I began at the famous Lode Lane facility in 1947 ahead of its launch at the Amsterdam Motor Show on 30 April 1948. Since then two million examples of the Series I, II III and Defender have been produced at Solihull.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 06-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Very cool...I love the Defender...

Old 06-24-2015, 01:28 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,789 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by yumcha
very cool...i love the defender...
+1
Old 06-25-2015, 09:00 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
What a beast. Awesome!
Old 06-25-2015, 09:30 AM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
There's an old one of these that parks at my job, i'll snag a pic of it for you guys. Very neat how the rear seats face each other.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:52 AM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Always wanted a black or dark green version of these.

Land Rover: Defender News-r5no3za.jpg
Old 06-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Now that is a REAL SUV.... but at the shifter...
Old 01-17-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 5,299 Likes on 3,633 Posts
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/bri...ender-works-v8

Fastest and most powerful Land Rover Defender ever is all kinds of excellent

We suspect that during the course of this story, you might experience strange, perhaps even supernatural forces befuddling your senses. Rest assured: this proves that you are still human.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Land Rover Defender has returned. Sort of. This is the Defender Works V8, built as a limited-run special edition that both pays homage to those early V8 performance Defenders, and to the Land Rover marque’s 70th anniversary.

And it is simply excellent. Of this, there can be no disagreement.

The idea emerged only a few years back, when in 2014 – while the old Defender was still busy trundling off LR’s production line and into your hearts (and workshops, no doubt) – the company recognised the sheer need for something packing a haymaker.

Thus, we come to the Defender Works V8’s powerplant: a 5.0-litre naturally aspirated unit with 400bhp and 380lb ft of torque; an ethereal cry from the regular Defender’s 120bhp. As such, this Works V8 will go from 0-60mph in 5.6s, and top out at 106mph. Trust us, you really don’t want to be going any faster in something like this.

It’ll be attached to an eight-speed ZF auto ‘box with a ‘sport’ mode (sport mode, in a Defender!), bigger brakes, better springs, dampers and anti-roll bars, and 18in alloys and all-terrain tyres. In turn, this lot will be sandwiched into 150 ‘specially selected’ re-engineered Defender chassis’, available in either 90 or 110 variants.

You choose from eight body colours that contrast with a black roof, and get machined aluminium handles, fuel cap and Defender lettering on the bonnet. Bi-LED headlights complement the external make-up, while inside you get a swathe of Windsor leather, Recaro sports seats and LR Classic’s infotainment system.

Admittedly, some sections among you might raise a Roger Moore-esque eyebrow at the thought of a 70-year old chassis being sportified and shined up with a massively powerful V8. Well, Merc hasn’t done too bad with the G Wagen AMGs, and anyway, it just works.

Prices however, might not work for you: they start at a whopping £150,000 for the 90 chassis. A high price for a high-performance block of nostalgia, or a fitting tribute to a British icon? Scroll through the pics above, soak up the details and fire away below…

Old 01-17-2018, 10:32 AM

That interior & the auto-box seem wrong on a truck meant for being off the pavement. Mostly the interior.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:37 AM

Old 01-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-26-2018, 06:35 AM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I love these trucks!
Old 10-05-2018, 11:45 AM

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/04/...s-boxy-design/

The last time we saw a Land Rover Defender prototype, it was sporting a thoroughly shortened Range Rover Sport body. While it was clear the bodywork was hiding a Defender chassis underneath, it didn't give any clues as to whether its design would hew close to the original, or become something much more modern. Now photos of a more developed prototype with a body close to the production model have emerged, and it appears to split the difference, with a slight lean toward the original.

Importantly, the new Defender is nearly as boxy as its ancient predecessor. The rear hatch is bolt upright, and the roof extends at a nearly 90-degree angle forward. Every corner on the doors and windows is sharp. The sides are slabs, and the hood is flat. the roof is quite thick, a clear homage to the original. It wouldn't be surprising if Land Rover offered to paint it contrasting colors. In another classic, and practical, nod to the original, the rear hatch is split, with the bottom half swinging to the side. This is probably to support models with a rear-mounted spare tire, similar to the Jeep Wrangler. The very short front and rear overhangs also support the classic look, and they should allow for steep approach and departure angles for off-roading.

There are aspects of the design that are much more modern, though. The windshield has a clear curve, and it blends into the A pillars, which will probably be black to provide a cantilevered roof look. The shape of the headlights and grille also look similar to those found on the modern Range Rover, and they seem to have roughly the same curve as that of the windshield. The body panels themselves are very smooth and uncluttered, and they gently bulge outward toward the fender flares.

All-in-all, we think the new Defender is a smart blending of old and new, and should satisfy fans of both kinds of Land Rover. And based on the last prototype, there will probably still be a two-door variant in addition to this four-door model. What is yet to be seen is whether it will live up to its predecessor and the prominent "#Best4x4xFar" hashtag. Certainly purists will be put off by the independent front and rear suspension. We also don't yet know if it will be body-on-frame or a unibody, though Land Rover has been able to make some highly capable off-roaders even with independent suspension and no separate frames.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I wish it looked old... please not modernize the Defender.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:46 PM

Agreed, this looks too sleek/modern. Keep the exposed door hinges & retro/vintage look of the old Defender & let the Disco, RR, Evoque, Velar lead the modern train.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

The Defender does not need any exterior changes.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:00 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Goddam that is so boxy/ugly. To each their own.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:43 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
https://www.autonews.com/future-prod...1-year-absence

Jaguar Land Rover confirmed Thursday that dealers in the U.S. and Canada will, for the first time in a generation, again be selling the Defender off-road vehicle.

The return of the Defender to North America -- where it was offered in the 1950s through the early '70s and again in the 1990s -- is a dream come true for Land Rover fans who have seen the prices of classic Defenders balloon to more than $100,000 for some versions of the original, boxy aluminum bodied SUV.

Demand for classic Defenders is so strong that thousands have been imported -- some illegally -- by private buyers, even British market vehicles with the steering wheel on the right-hand side.

JLR has started testing the new Defender in extreme climates around the world. In North America, Defender test mules will likely undergo testing in northern Canada and in Death Valley, Calif. as the company gears up for the vehicle's launch late in 2019 as a 2020 model.

The new Defender is redesigned and uses no parts from the previous version. It's unclear if the 2020 Defender will be body on frame, like the original, or unibody. But it will be built in the same plant as the new Land Rover Discovery and likely will share parts and maybe even its platform.

"Engineers will subject to rigorous test extremes to make sure the new Defender is the most capable Land Rover vehicle ever, operating in temperatures from -40F to +120F while driving the vehicles on and off road at altitudes of more than 13,000 feet above sea level," JLR said in a statement.

Land Rover officials have said little about the new Defender but spy photos signal several body styles are planned, including a stubby Wrangler-like two-door convertible. Teaser photos showed a longer camouflaged four-door version being tested in off-road settings. The Defender traces its roots to 1948, originally for agricultural use, and has been primarily available as a two-door convertible, a four-door safari wagon and a pickup.

At least some versions of the new Defender likely will compete against the Jeep Wrangler, Ford Bronco, Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen and Toyota Land Cruiser.

Land Rover ended output of the venerable, largely hand-built Defender in the United Kingdom in January 2016. Land Rover dealers have been fielding inquiries for the new Defender since the new model was announced three years ago. Some dealers are already accepting orders for the new Defender.

"Dealers that I have talked to already have pretty solid order banks on Defender," says Andy Vine, dealer principal at Land Rover Louisville in Kentucky. "Many of us, including myself, are ordering products for our own individual use and also to put away. And I don't do that very often. We sell a lot of great brands, but I am so excited about this product that I have one coming for myself."

BPM MEDIAThe last Defenders came to the United States in 1997 in very limited numbers on an exemption granted by the Department of Transportation. The 1990s models didn't meet U.S. safety standards. Land Rover could only import 500 per year. But thousands of Defenders that are 25 years or older have been privately imported over the years.

Once a vehicle reaches 25 years from the date of manufacture, it can be legally imported and registered in most states. The federal government excepts older vehicles from emissions and crash rules.

When the new Defender is available, the original is still likely to remain a valuable and prized collector's item, says McKeel Hagerty, CEO Hagerty Insurance in Traverse City, Mich., a company most known for classic vehicle insurance. Hagerty told Automotive News that classic Land Rovers -- and old trucks and other SUVs -- are one of the fastest growing segments of the collector vehicle hobby.

"It's hard to overestimate the cult following the older, traditional Defenders have," Hagerty said. "The rough and tough aspect of it is what's core of making it a cult classic." Hagerty says the fact that old models are basic off-road vehicles is part of their appeal.

The new model, Land Rover says, will be packed with technology.

"When it debuts in 2019, the new model will represent 70 years of innovation and improvement in just one model year, honoring the model's history for rugged durability and thoroughly remaining a Defender for the 21st century," Land Rover said in a statement.

"When you think of what Jeep has done in those segments and then you think of a modern Land Rover vehicle, the optimism is through the roof," said Vine, the Kentucky Land Rover dealer.

There's no word yet on pricing, available powertrains and launch dates.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:29 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/land_rover/2020-defender_90/

This is the new Land Rover Defender. An icon reimagined for the 21st century; it has been cleverly engineered with capability and safety for all the family at its heart.

New Defender is built for the adventurous and curious, for those who know the value of community and strive to make a difference.

The unmistakable silhouette is familiar yet new. It looks tough and is tough but designed with purpose and engineered to excite. Iconic in name, shape and capability, Defender can be personalised to allow owners to make the most of their world.

Across seven decades of pioneering innovation, Land Rovers have earned a unique place in the hearts of explorers, humanitarian agencies and adventurous families across the world. Proven in the harshest environments on earth, the new Defender maintains this bloodline.

Beside the peerless luxury and refinement of the Range Rover family and the highly capable and versatile Discovery SUVs, new Land Rover Defender completes the Land Rover dynasty. The 110 is just the start for this family of the most capable and durable 4x4s in the world. It will be swiftly followed by a short wheelbase 90, before a pair of practical commercial models join the line-up in 2020.

Driven by a passion and respect for the original, new Defender delivers transformational breadth of capability and advanced all-terrain technologies to redefine adventure for the 21st century, while remaining true to the pioneering spirit that has been a Land Rover hallmark for 71 years.
2020 Defender 90

2020 Defender 110

Quick Reply: Land Rover: Defender News