Notices
Automotive News
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kia: Stinger News

 
Old 11-07-2018, 04:54 PM
  #361  
Registered Member
 
00TL-P3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spring, TX
Age: 33
Posts: 11,275
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,130 Posts
But only on the TTV6. No LSD for the 2.0Toy.
00TL-P3.2 is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 05:11 PM
  #362  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 146,126
Liked 14,824 Times in 9,189 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
I'd take a Kia over being immortal
But, we know you are dumb dumb.














I want to touch the car graced by the Gawds: the RLX.
Yumcha is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 05:12 PM
  #363  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 146,126
Liked 14,824 Times in 9,189 Posts
But, snarking aside, I've seen a couple of the Stingers on the road recently. Very good looking in-person...albeit, I'm not seeing them as frequently as some of the peeps in here are reporting but I have seen my first 2 the last couple of weeks. Love the way it looks.

Albeit, what's interesting indeed are the drivers...older demographic.
Yumcha is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 05:14 PM
  #364  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Liked 4,404 Times in 3,313 Posts
Maybe there's less cucks in my area and hence less Audis and more Kias on the roads here?
TacoBello is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 05:19 PM
  #365  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 146,126
Liked 14,824 Times in 9,189 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
Maybe there's less cucks in my area and hence less Audis and more Kias on the roads here?
Possibly. Do you have lots of and in your area?

Cuz, the drivers I saw were Caucasian. So, dunno...I'm not at all profiling the demographics but merely just commenting here. TBH, I am unsure if my kind would be willing to go into a "Kia"...we are typically a more "shallow" culture and depend on namebrands with inflated prices.



Yumcha is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 05:20 PM
  #366  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 146,126
Liked 14,824 Times in 9,189 Posts
Would I get a Stinger? I would have it in my list to consider for sure. But, can't say for certain.
Yumcha is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 05:23 PM
  #367  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Liked 4,404 Times in 3,313 Posts
Actually to be quite honest, pretty much everyone I saw driving one was white. Hmmm..
TacoBello is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 06:58 PM
  #368  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 146,126
Liked 14,824 Times in 9,189 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
Actually to be quite honest, pretty much everyone I saw driving one was white. Hmmm..
And that's something I have noted about Kia: I do not see many Asians driving them TBH...it's very rare. If a or is buying an Asian vehicle, you know it's one of either Toyota/Honda/Nissan or their extended brands (i.e. Lexus/Acura/Infiniti)... And it's possible where I live, that the demographics sorta facilitate that. Still, even in my travels, I have to admit, while I'm not actively looking, I do not see many Asians purchasing Hyundais and Kia.


So, while I will openly admit to being impressed by the Stinger...the shallow- in me will probably not ever let me buy one? I dunno. I have to mull over it but that's my official answer right now.
Yumcha is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 06:59 PM
  #369  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 146,126
Liked 14,824 Times in 9,189 Posts
It's like...Walmart's George clothing line suddenly having a "premium" line of suits that supposedly uses fine materials to match the Italians or British. Sorry, but, I'm not buying that brand.
Yumcha is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 07:00 PM
  #370  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 146,126
Liked 14,824 Times in 9,189 Posts
<slaps on body condom>

I'm ready for the e-pile-on and venom/spew for daring to say I would thumb my nose at the Stinger.
Yumcha is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 PM
  #371  
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,496
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,296 Posts
Newsflash, Asians are waisis

Plenty of my older family members wouldn't buy a Korean car out of principle. Not so much because of its origin but rather its historical perception and prestige level.

Hyundai? lol.

Kia?





Though in all seriousness, they were quite impressed by the K900 when we went to Korea. Still wouldn't buy one though.
Costco is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 08:32 PM
  #372  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 146,126
Liked 14,824 Times in 9,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco View Post
Newsflash, Asians are waisis

Plenty of my older family members wouldn't buy a Korean car out of principle. Not so much because of its origin but rather its historical perception and prestige level.

Hyundai? lol.

Kia?





Though in all seriousness, they were quite impressed by the K900 when we went to Korea. Still wouldn't buy one though.
So, I'm not crazy.









Just wacist. And a shallow snob.
Yumcha is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 PM
  #373  
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,496
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,296 Posts
My biggest problem with Korean cars is their poor residual values. They seem to be more reliable than I initially thought. Performance on the Stinger is great, too - more than enough for most. It's really a solid bargain.
Costco is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 02:43 AM
  #374  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,820
Liked 618 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco View Post
My biggest problem with Korean cars is their poor residual values. They seem to be more reliable than I initially thought. Performance on the Stinger is great, too - more than enough for most. It's really a solid bargain.
This is a fair and accurate statement. The Koreans resale value drops like a rock in the ocean. A 2016 Kia Sorento SXL was ~50k CDN, you can now buy them for around 25-30k. Meanwhile a 2016 Toyota Highlander Limited/Hybrid is still going for around 40-45k....granted a highlander is about 5k more than a Sorento new. Give that Sorento another year or 2 and it will be selling for around 17k. 17K is what a decent mileage 2007 Highlander Limited sells for.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 10:10 AM
  #375  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Liked 4,404 Times in 3,313 Posts
A brand new 2016 Audi S4 Technik with Sport Differential and 6MT went for 65k CDN, new.

in 2018, that same car is now between 38-42k.

What’s your point?
TacoBello is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 AM
  #376  
_
 
AZuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15,970
Liked 2,258 Times in 1,354 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
Actually to be quite honest, pretty much everyone I saw driving one was white. Hmmm..
A guy in my neighborhood that has one is

Over the past 15-ish years, he went from a Lincoln LS to 1st gen Hyundai Genesis to G80 to Kia Stinger.
AZuser is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 11:07 AM
  #377  
Registered Member
 
00TL-P3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spring, TX
Age: 33
Posts: 11,275
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,130 Posts

I'd have likely bought a Stinger, had the pricing worked out a little better. As mentioned before, finance deals were
00TL-P3.2 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 11:31 AM
  #378  
Registered Member
 
oonowindoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15,360
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,736 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha View Post
Possibly. Do you have lots of and in your area?

Cuz, the drivers I saw were Caucasian. So, dunno...I'm not at all profiling the demographics but merely just commenting here. TBH, I am unsure if my kind would be willing to go into a "Kia"...we are typically a more "shallow" culture and depend on namebrands with inflated prices.

As good as Stinger is... it would be very hard for an to spend 50k on a KIA, when they can get a 320 and save $20k... as funny as that may sound... It is a very real.
Of course there are exceptions. But Generally speaking..

I have a lot of a Korean friends and NONE of them drives Kia or Hyundai and when i recommend those brand to them.... they gave me the stare and thought i was crazy.... So yah go figure.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 11-08-2018 at 11:34 AM.
oonowindoo is online now  
Old 11-08-2018, 11:32 AM
  #379  
Ex-OEM King
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 5,740
Liked 1,640 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 View Post

I'd have likely bought a Stinger, had the pricing worked out a little better. As mentioned before, finance deals were
Finance deals were trash but the lease deals were great. I wouldn't buy a Stinger in any case, I'd lease just because the resale value will really suck.
SamDoe1 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM
  #380  
2013 Ford Focus ST
 
RPhilMan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Age: 32
Posts: 3,475
Liked 1,200 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
A brand new 2016 Audi S4 Technik with Sport Differential and 6MT went for 65k CDN, new.

in 2018, that same car is now between 38-42k.

What’s your point?
Congrats on the S4!
RPhilMan1 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 01:40 PM
  #381  
Registered Member
 
00TL-P3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spring, TX
Age: 33
Posts: 11,275
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Finance deals were trash but the lease deals were great. I wouldn't buy a Stinger in any case, I'd lease just because the resale value will really suck.
True, but I drive too much for a lease. And I plan on keeping the C for a long time, would've been the same for the Stinger/GTI had I gone that route.
00TL-P3.2 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 01:49 PM
  #382  
Ex-OEM King
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 5,740
Liked 1,640 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 View Post
True, but I drive too much for a lease. And I plan on keeping the C for a long time, would've been the same for the Stinger/GTI had I gone that route.
Well the play was to lease it to get the lease cash and then immediately buy out the lease lol.
SamDoe1 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 02:01 PM
  #383  
Registered Member
 
00TL-P3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spring, TX
Age: 33
Posts: 11,275
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,130 Posts
True, but on the Premium, the lease cash wasn't great either, progressively better deals as you went up in trim.. The big $$ lease cash was on the GT2 Stingers.
00TL-P3.2 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 04:46 PM
  #384  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,820
Liked 618 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
A brand new 2016 Audi S4 Technik with Sport Differential and 6MT went for 65k CDN, new.

in 2018, that same car is now between 38-42k.

What’s your point?
Kia is not a luxury brand what's your point of bringing an Audi up? Luxury brands depreciate much faster than mainstream brands so I was comparing apples to apples not apples to oranges.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 04:49 PM
  #385  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 146,126
Liked 14,824 Times in 9,189 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
As good as Stinger is... it would be very hard for an to spend 50k on a KIA, when they can get a 320 and save $20k... as funny as that may sound... It is a very real.
Of course there are exceptions. But Generally speaking..

I have a lot of a Korean friends and NONE of them drives Kia or Hyundai and when i recommend those brand to them.... they gave me the stare and thought i was crazy.... So yah go figure.
I can imagine. I get the same reaction talking cars to my friends and how Kia looks great on paper and on the road...but, yeah...no.

Yumcha is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 04:52 PM
  #386  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Liked 4,404 Times in 3,313 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
Kia is not a luxury brand what's your point of bringing an Audi up? Luxury brands depreciate much faster than mainstream brands so I was comparing apples to apples not apples to oranges.
​​​​​​So what you're saying is it's totally ok to lose near 50% value on a luxury car, but not anything else? You do realize most people buying an S4 don't have money spilling out of their pockets, right? It's the same thing. Both cars are similarly priced. Both tank like rocks when it comes to value, yet you're saying it's fine for one but not the other. By the end of the day, it's the exact same shit except for a tacked on badge
TacoBello is offline  
The following users liked this post: TacoBello
00TL-P3.2 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 04:55 PM
  #387  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Liked 4,404 Times in 3,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha View Post
I can imagine. I get the same reaction talking cars to my friends and how Kia looks great on paper and on the road...but, yeah...no.
It'll change over time. Both Kia and Hyundai have come a long way since the early 2000s. They're garnering more and more respect as each year goes by. Still nowhere near the top, but let's be honest, there was a time when Toyota and Honda were considered cheap Japanese garbage also.

The might be the last to jump on the acceptance bandwagon, but I'm willing to bet many eventually will. Give it another decade or so.
TacoBello is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 05:00 PM
  #388  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 146,126
Liked 14,824 Times in 9,189 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
It'll change over time. Both Kia and Hyundai have come a long way since the early 2000s. They're garnering more and more respect as each year goes by. Still nowhere near the top, but let's be honest, there was a time when Toyota and Honda were considered cheap Japanese garbage also.

The might be the last to jump on the acceptance bandwagon, but I'm willing to bet many eventually will. Give it another decade or so.
Yeah, no argument here. Samsung, in the world of electronics, would be a good example. There was a point that probably most were WTF at Sammy...but, hey...now they are pretty much a go-to household name. I think Kia/Hyundai can definitely work to change perceptions which is really their only hurdle.

Case in point: Me. I can't get over that...but, in time, I think my attitude will change regarding it's brand.
Yumcha is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 08:33 PM
  #389  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,820
Liked 618 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
​​​​​​So what you're saying is it's totally ok to lose near 50% value on a luxury car, but not anything else? You do realize most people buying an S4 don't have money spilling out of their pockets, right? It's the same thing. Both cars are similarly priced. Both tank like rocks when it comes to value, yet you're saying it's fine for one but not the other. By the end of the day, it's the exact same shit except for a tacked on badge
It took me a bit to realize what you are saying. I think we're talking about 2 different things. I was talking about the Kia brand as a whole vs mainstream competition and you're talking about just the stinger vs competition. In that case I agree with you.
RDX10 is offline  
The following users liked this post: RDX10
00TL-P3.2 (11-09-2018)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:42 PM
  #390  
Senior Moderator
 
Yumcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 146,126
Liked 14,824 Times in 9,189 Posts
Here's Fifth Gear's segment on the Stinger up against Kia's benchmark, the Audi S5:
Yumcha is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:12 PM
  #391  
Registered Member
 
00TL-P3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spring, TX
Age: 33
Posts: 11,275
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,130 Posts
https://www.netcarshow.com/kia/2020-stinger_gts/

Since its debut nearly two years ago, the Kia Stinger has quickly become a crowd favorite, and at the 2019 New York International Auto Show, Kia Motors America gave driving purists yet another compelling reason to check out Kia's highest performing sport sedan. Limited to just 800 units, the special edition Kia Stinger GTS punches up its on-road prowess with a newly developed dynamic all-wheel drive system (D-AWD) that inspires more spirited driving. With sport-inspired styling elements including genuine carbon fiber parts and a splashy new color that demands even more attention, the limited edition GTS is the one automotive enthusiasts will be lining up to drive.

Closing the Gap

During its short time on the market, the Stinger has established itself as a true competitor in the sport sedan segment with performance figures strong enough to embarrass its German rivals. Along the way, it has also redefined the Kia brand and consumer perception. But with all the praise and accolades the Stinger has received, Albert Biermann, head of research and development, strived for more. The result is a new version of the Stinger's all-wheel-drive system peppered with rear-wheel drive DNA. Dubbed D-AWD, the system has been tweaked to close the gap in behavior between the AWD-equipped and RWD-equipped Stinger GT.
  • Mechanical limited slip rear differential is added to the D-AWD system, which is designed to enhance traction and distribute power more evenly between the rear wheels when slip is detected
  • Drive Mode Select amplifies rear-biased dynamics
    • Comfort mode sends 60 percent of power to the rear for feeling of stability
    • Sport mode sends 80 percent of power to the rear for more spirited driving
    • Drift mode sends up to 100 percent of power to the rear wheels and holds gears without upshifting
  • New Control Logic
    • Slip Control and Counter Steer Detection
    • Transmission Shift Pattern
    • Stability Control

Available in either D-AWD or RWD, the Kia Stinger GTS maintains the Stinger GT's potent powertrain underneath the hood.
  • 3.3-liter V6 twin turbo
    • 365 horsepower
    • 376 lb-ft of torque
  • 8-speed automatic transmission
The Hot Spot in the Stinger Lineup

Aside from what lies beneath, the GTS shows it's not your average Stinger thanks to a number of exterior and interior enhancements tailored to make it look ready for time on the track or carving hairpin turns.

Exterior enhancements include:
  • Exclusive "Federation" premium orange paint color
  • Genuine carbon fiber parts that outline the signature tiger nose grille, side mirror caps and side vents
  • GTS rear emblem
  • Center Stinger emblem replaces the Kia logo on the trunk lid for more custom appearance
Inside, the Kia Stinger GTS adds more premium materials befitting of a true driver's car.
  • Steering wheel and center console swathed in Alcantara®
  • Headliner blanketed in premium suede-like Chamude®
Handsomely and Affordably Equipped

Value continues to be pillar for the Kia Stinger GTS, with lots of tech, creature comforts and driver assistance systems. As part of the GTS treatment, the limited edition fastback includes:
  • Sunroof
  • 720-watt Harman/Kardon premium audio system with QuantumLogic and Clari-Fi signal enhancing technology
  • Wireless charger for compatible smartphones
Keeping it competitive, the Kia Stinger GTS hits the sweet spot in terms of pricing. With a start of production planned for spring 2019, the limited edition GTS is expected to have an MSRP starting around $44,000 for RWD and around $46,500 for D-AWD.
00TL-P3.2 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
nfnsquared
Ramblings
8
Yesterday 01:57 PM
zhongming wang
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
27
04-21-2019 09:49 PM
EE4Life
Third Generation RDX (2019+)
0
04-17-2019 01:18 PM
getakey
3G MDX Discussion (2014+)
13
04-17-2019 09:51 AM
EE4Life
Second Generation NSX (2017+)
0
04-11-2019 07:35 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kia: Stinger News


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.