Kia: Stinger News

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://blog.caranddriver.com/specia...ntica-edition/

Marking its second model year, the 2019 Kia Stinger sports sedan will celebrate its garnet anniversary with a new limited-run Atlantica edition.

Based on the top-of-the-line GT2 trim with all-wheel drive, the 365-hp Stinger Atlantica will be limited to a total of 500 units. Each Atlantica wears a coat of Deep Chroma Blue paint and rolls on 19-inch wheels cribbed from the Europe-market model. Completing the Atlantica’s exterior is a large “Stinger” badge at the center of the decklid. Meanwhile, the Atlantica’s blue hue is complemented by Espresso Brown nappa leather seats and a black faux-suede headliner.

The Atlantica isn’t simply an exercise in styling, though, as Kia has added meat to the model’s bones thanks to a trio of technology features that are new to the Stinger: a surround-view monitor, a wireless phone-charging system, and seat heaters for those positioned in the rear outboard seats.

Look for the 2019 Stinger Atlantica to go on sale this summer. Pricing has yet to be announced for the limited-edition model, but we’d wager that the Atlantica will sticker for a couple bills more than an all-wheel-drive 2018 Stinger loaded to the GT2 trim level, which is priced from $52,300.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I don't think you can get a manual Audi in Canada anymore. I went searching their website for a manual A4, but doesn't seem to exist. At least I couldn't find it as an option, anywhere. Was considering if I wanted it for my next car- I would chip it right off the bat. Fuck the warranty, lol. Stasis provides a warranty on their tunes, covering your engine if anything fails based on the tune anyway. And the power gains are nuts.
I can see it.
https://www.audi.ca/ca/web/en/models....8w25n9_0.html
Click Show All Information.
2.0 TFSI [252HP version]
quattro Komfort 6-speed
42,700.00 CAD

Last edited by Saintor; 03-07-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Yeah, nevermind. For some reason the other options weren't showing up on my iPad. I checked after on my computer and could see them.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:55 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Mr. Regular seems to like it ....

Old 06-21-2018, 09:18 AM
Team Owner

I've been seeing more and more of these on the roads as of late... and not the typical people you'd expect driving a Kia. Not to hate on average Joe (hey, I'm one too), but I was grabbing a coffee the other day and saw a guy in a very nice suit getting into a Stinger. Had to give him the thumbs up. Only once did I see a younger guy driving one, but generally the driver's look like affluent folk.

Kia may not sell a ton of Stingers, but I think it's helping them get even more solidified in the car market as a respectable brand these days. And if other people are noticing the "upper crust" folk driving some of these, that very well may entice more people to buy. I hope it pans out for Kia and the dealership network doesn't kill too many sales for them.

Last edited by TacoBello; 06-21-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:38 AM

I'd have no problem with a Stinger, just priced too high for me. A Stinger Premium with the tech pkg is $40k.
A GT2 lists for around $52k.

If I could get into a Premium + tech for around $33-35k, I'd be interested.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:06 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Props to Kia for going for the Stinger route, but I just can't get over that interior.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
saw 2 today. in red and black.

Looks pretty good. I dig it....

But i would not spend 50k on it tho.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

Didn't 00TL just say it was 42k?
Old 06-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Didn't 00TL just say it was 42k?
The high end GT is $52k USD.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 05:32 PM
Team Owner

Based on the current discount structure, both the $52k Stinger and the pretty much loaded $60k 340i can be had for pretty much the same price.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:05 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Based on the current discount structure, both the $52k Stinger and the pretty much loaded $60k 340i can be had for pretty much the same price.
There's almost $8k in lease incentives on the high end Stinger right now. Plus if you can manage to get one at invoice then you'd be golden.

People have been leasing to get the incentive and then just buying the car out immediately if they wanted to buy vs lease.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:20 AM

Last I looked, it's something like a $150 fee to buy out the lease early. Flip it into a C.U. finance & get the full lease incentives. At the time, it was something like $7k on a GT1/2 & 5 or 6k on a GT, but only like $4k on a Premium & $3k on a Base.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
There's almost $8k in lease incentives on the high end Stinger right now. Plus if you can manage to get one at invoice then you'd be golden.

People have been leasing to get the incentive and then just buying the car out immediately if they wanted to buy vs lease.
Wow that is pretty good. How much are people leasing the 50k Stinger for? with minimum drive off.
I mean incentive is only part of the equation. Audi is the perfect example.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:15 PM
Ex-OEM King

Wow that is pretty good. How much are people leasing the 50k Stinger for? with minimum drive off.
I mean incentive is only part of the equation. Audi is the perfect example.
My guess is high $500's for the GT2 Stinger. The big reason to buy vs lease is the abysmal residuals on these and the high MF. You can get a much better deal doing a lease buyout than continuing the lease.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

ic... so they are doing what Audi is doing.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:48 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Yah.. the part i dont understand is why didnt they use the 440GC instead of 640GC?

440GC is a hatch just like Stinger.
IMO, S5 sportback and 440GC are what Stinger is going after... not 640GC - which is just a normal sedan (with less head room).
I think its clear from the way they tuned the Stinger and from the competition they were targeting that Kia wants us all to compare this car to the correct competition, and the Stinger is in no way competing with the 440GC. It is a much larger GT car that won't embarrass itself on a track, but is not intended to be a practically-minded track weapon like the smaller and sharper 440GC. Then again, it is still aggressively priced vs the smaller Bimmer as well and certainly stands out a ton more, which is something else that points to Kia's intended demographic for the Stinger; young buyers who want something that turns heads but is also great value for their money. Judging by early sales numbers so far, it would seem Kia has hit a home run with the Stinger.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Punk Rocker

Originally Posted by YEH
Kia did a fine job w/ the Stinger, but there definitely are things that can be improved upon - such as the aforementioned 8 spd AT.

Problem w/ that 8 spd AT is that it is an auto that was developed as a luxury gearbox and not with much performance in mind (the Q60 RS has the same issue with its trans).
Again, the purpose of the Stinger is not to be the ultimate track weapon (its curb weight and extensive luxury feature content spell that out). The Stinger is supposed to be a value-oriented luxury GT car like the 6-series BMW and the Panamara, but for less than half the price. Kia could've built a much smaller and lighter Stinger if their goal was to make a track weapon sedan, but that's what the G70 is supposed to be. The Stinger is a halo car for the Kia brand that will (and does) appeal to a much wider market than a smaller, track car would. Judging by early sales numbers and demand, Kia definitely did the right thing with the Stinger. Obviously there are things I wish EVERY car did better since no product is ever perfect, but the Stinger does so well in all categories that I'm not personally fussed with minor complaints. Its fast enough not to embarrass itself on a track, comfortable enough for cross-country GT travel, big enough for great practicality, priced aggressively enough to be a much better value than any other car in its segment, styled aggressively enough to turn enough heads to bring brand recognition to Kia, and the list goes on and on. If you want something different that's totally understandable, but judged as the car Kia set out to build, I can't find anything more than the nitpickiest of faults with the new Stinger.

Sorry for the DP but I can't seem to find an "Edit" button to alter my previous post?
TacoBello (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 PM

https://jalopnik.com/australian-cops...alc-1827361539

Queensland, Australia’s police department is rolling out 50 Kia Stinger patrol cars this week after the sports sedan received “top reports” from officers, News.com.au reports. This is not surprising, since the car seems perfect car for this job.

The news website says police departments throughout Australia are moving to replace Holden Commodore V8s and Ford Falcons, now that the companies that built them have shuttered their factories. I guess Aussie cops aren’t easily parted from their performance sedans.

While some organizations have gone with BMWs or Chryslers as highway patrol cars, the news site reports that Queensland has chosen the Kia Stinger. Fifty Kias are expected to be “rolled out across Queensland from this week,” News.com.au writes, and 200 are expected to eventually replace the third-most populous Australian state’s entire fleet.

The news site quotes Assistant Commissioner of the Road Policing Command, Mike Keating, who described how well the Stinger did in what news.com.au reports was an “extensive” evaluation process:

The Stinger performed very well in all areas and we had nothing but top reports from all the field officers...The result is a road policing first for us, the first foreign car to perform these duties.
The Queensland police minister also gave the Kia some love, saying:
You often hear Police Ministers talking about providing the best equipment for those at the coal face. In this case I truly believe we have been able to do that.
According to Carscoops, the new patrol cars will be 365-horsepower GT V6 models (the Stinger is also available with a 255 horsepower 2.0-liter inline-four) with all-wheel drive, and that they’ll be outfitted with a bunch of police equipment from “strobe lights and sirens to communication radios.”

I haven’t driven the Kia Stinger, but my boss has, and he called it “the real deal,” lauding its excellent Lambda II T-GDi V6 engine, its superb handling, and all the room in the cargo area (it’s a hatchback!). And really, what can you want in a police car? (Admittedly, Patrick said the rear headroom isn’t great, but the back seat of a cruiser isn’t meant to be plush. Don’t break the law if you don’t want to be back there.)

Queensland’s got the right idea, here, and I hope American police units hop onboard, too. That way, in 15 years, I can buy a used Stinger for a song.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

I'm starting to see Stingers popping up everywhere, around here. They seem to be catching on!
Old 07-05-2018, 04:19 PM

I've noticed more of them around Houston, too.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:20 AM
Punk Rocker

I dunno, personally I think I would take a loaded Stinger GT2 over a loaded 340i if they were the same price. The Kia badge doesn't really bother me and the Stinger is a much more practical car with far more interesting styling. Not to mention the best warranty you can get on a new car.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:14 AM
Team Owner

While the interior materials are better in the 340, I think BMW interiors in general remind me of a funeral parlor. The materials feel nice, but the looks... Ugh.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

While the interior materials are better in the 340, I think BMW interiors in general remind me of a funeral parlor. The materials feel nice, but the looks... Ugh.
Their layout... well you know that is BMW... they would turn fancy things into "classy things"
Just look at their 6WB full digital guage... Audi and Mercedes are all fancy looking and BMW somehow managed to make their full digital gauge look like analog .. But BMW's has always been the understated look until you start using it.... Same concept for the iDrive... it is THE best system on the market but it really does not look like much until you start using it.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I dunno, personally I think I would take a loaded Stinger GT2 over a loaded 340i if they were the same price. The Kia badge doesn't really bother me and the Stinger is a much more practical car with far more interesting styling. Not to mention the best warranty you can get on a new car.

I currently have the 4GC, so as far as practicality, they are identical... it does have its advantages due to the trunk space, but it is not as good as you think due to the design of the rear hatch and glass. You can't really fit much stuff as you would in a regular hatch.
and rear headroom is really an issue if you carry people (adult) in the back frequently. So really depends on your preferences.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 07-06-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:13 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Again, the purpose of the Stinger is not to be the ultimate track weapon (its curb weight and extensive luxury feature content spell that out). The Stinger is supposed to be a value-oriented luxury GT car like the 6-series BMW and the Panamara, but for less than half the price.
Of course (well, aware that Kia/Biermann intended the Stinger to be a Gran Turismo), but nonetheless, most reviews have stated that the suspension tuning for the US-spec is too soft.

Can be a GT and still have a compliant ride great for highway cruising.

Not saying that the Stinger should have the same sports sedan focus as the smaller Genesis G70, but improvements can be made to the suspension tuning (the Aussie-spec Stinger has a better tune).

Don't be surprised if Kia/Biermann makes those changes to the Stinger going forward (at the very least, making more of a difference btwn normal and sport mode, or adding a sport+ mode for the USDM), including possibly adding a more hard-core trim (GT-S?) down the road.

Kia could've built a much smaller and lighter Stinger if their goal was to make a track weapon sedan, but that's what the G70 is supposed to be.
Having the suspension tuning sharpened doesn't mean it has to track weapon.

Just needs some relatively minor tweaks and wider tires up front (like you have stated, all new models can use tweaks/improvements).

As for the Stinger having been adopted by the Queensland police as the new pursuit vehicle, other states have chosen the 530d and 300 SRT (so the Stinger is in good company).

Last edited by YEH; 07-08-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:09 AM
Team Owner

The RLX would kill for numbers like these...

Are Kia Stinger Sales Living Up To The Hype? Here Are The Numbers

Almost two years ago at the Detroit Auto Show we proclaimed that the then all-new Kia Stinger was the undisputed star of the show. It upstaged literally everything the Detroit automakers brought that year, which admittedly wasn’t particularly exciting. But who would have ever thought that Kia was capable and willing to produce something like the Stinger and Stinger GT fastback sedans? Needless to say, there was a lot of hype surrounding the new car.

Now that we have several months of sales numbers, we figured it was a good time to check to see whether the Stinger has taken a bite, so to speak, out of the competition. Speaking of which, what is the competition? There are several choices, but we went big, meaning the premium luxury brands.

Specifically, we compared Kia Stinger sales results to those of the following: BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe, Audi A4/S4 and A5/S5 Sportback, Jaguar XE, and the Mercedes-Benz C-Class. It should be noted that neither Audi nor Mercedes-Benz provided specific sales breakdowns for the aforementioned models. Instead, they were clumped together with the entire A5 and C-Class range, respectively.

For example, we don’t have a precise sales breakdown for what we see as the Stinger’s most direct C-Class variant rival, the AMG C43. So far this year, specifically through July (via carsalesbase.com), a total of 10,144 Kia Stingers have been sold in the US. To compare, BMW sold a total of 18,331 4 Series Gran Coupes in that same period. Audi sold 21,575 A4s and S4s, 15,973 A5s and S5s, while Jaguar sold 2,663 XEs, and Mercedes shifted 33,500 C-Class models.

Unfortunately, because a direct Stinger vs say, Audi S5 Sportback sales comparison isn’t available, it’s hard to get a fully accurate picture of how – or if – the Kia has been the segment disruptor some tipped it to become. However, based on the fact over 10,000 Stingers have been sold so far this year (its first full model year) and less than 3,000 Jaguar XEs have left dealership lots, is already a very good sign. It would also be unfair to compare the Kia Stinger to, for example, the Honda Accord, which has sold, on average, over 20,000 units a month so far this year.

The two sedans cater to different types of buyers. But considering the Stinger and Stinger GT are performance-focused, have an unusual fastback body style, and, above all, wear a Kia badge, the Korean carmaker has a lot to be proud of. It wasn’t too long ago Kia was seen as purely a bargain brand for non-car lovers. Kiss those days goodbye.

We also reached out to James Bell, Kia America's Director of Corporate Communications, regarding Stinger sales and were told that "Expectations are high and we are doing a great job of collecting all-new customers for the Kia brand, especially off BMW, Audi, Lexus, and trade-ins. As you know, the sedan market is not nearly as hot as the CUV/SUV (market) but the Stinger is providing the 'vehicle of change' for the brand just as intended."

Last November, Kia told us it had received around 50,000 queries for the Stinger, and by February that figured increased to 100,000. Unfortunately, we don't have any way of knowing precisely how many of those queries resulted in sales. Nevertheless, the Kia Stinger is more than holding its own in the market and remains the go-to choice for those seeking a true sports sedan you can get for around $50,000 all-in.

https://carbuzz.com/news/are-kia-sti...re-the-numbers

Last edited by TacoBello; 08-20-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:14 AM
Team Owner

So Kia came in and pinched 10,000 sales from a segment in the market they weren't even in a year ago. I'd say that's a pretty good achievement, especially with how competitive that market is. I'm curious to see how sales go over the next few years.
fsttyms1 (10-10-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 11:52 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
The 2.0T finally arrives in Canada, and it starts at $39999 which IMO is insanely overpriced. The much more loaded 3.3T model costs only 5K more, I don't see anyone considering 2.0T now, myself included.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:23 AM

$40k USD gets you a 'loaded' 2.0T Premium, only available in 4 colors.
The only option, outside of accessories is the driver assist package.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MSZ
The 2.0T finally arrives in Canada, and it starts at $39999 which IMO is insanely overpriced. The much more loaded 3.3T model costs only 5K more, I don't see anyone considering 2.0T now, myself included.
I think most of the people who want the 2.0T will not get it loaded. It defeats the purpose of buying the entry trim (unless some hardcore guy really wants the weight saving).
Interestingly, people who are willing to spend more for the higher trim model 3.3T are more likely to get more options and equipment.

Same thing for BMW... you rarely see a fully loaded 330/530, but you will see more loaded 340 and 540/550.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:12 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
I think most of the people who want the 2.0T will not get it loaded. It defeats the purpose of buying the entry trim (unless some hardcore guy really wants the weight saving).
Interestingly, people who are willing to spend more for the higher trim model 3.3T are more likely to get more options and equipment.

Same thing for BMW... you rarely see a fully loaded 330/530, but you will see more loaded 340 and 540/550.
Exactly! That's why IMO they should offer a true stripped down version of the 2.0T for around $35.5K CAD instead of forcing buyers to go for the 3.3T or one of their competitors.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

It is worse in the US by comparison. Stinger base starts at $32,000 USD = $42,000 CAD with today's rate. well in directly, you can thank Trump for that.
So your $39,999 CAD starting is not bad.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:41 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
^ Also think the base engine model sales will improve when the 2.0T gets replaced by the new 2.5T, and even better if paired w/ a 48V mild hybrid system.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:00 PM

https://www.motor1.com/news/268634/s...ger-undecided/

It's good at bolstering the brand's image, but it needs to be a commercial success to survive.

Previewed by the GT Concept in 2011, the Stinger debuted in production form last year and has been enjoying positive reviews from media outlets ever since then. Even though it’s turning out to be an efficient tool to improve Kia’s brand image, it doesn’t necessarily mean the grand tourer will be renewed for a second generation. Business is business, and the Stinger will only survive on the market beyond the current model’s life cycle if enough people will buy it.

The reveal was made by the company’s head of design, Gregory Guilliame, this week during an interview with Australian media at the Paris Motor Show. He noted the Stinger has all the right ingredients to serve as a brand ambassador for Kia, but it’s too early to decide whether it will stick around in the long run:

“We still have to be economically successful with that vehicle. It’s very, very difficult in Europe with a car like that.”
Guilliame is well aware of the crossover craze and that people aren’t into sedans and hatchbacks like they used to be, which is why he’s being cautious regarding the Stinger’s fate. He told Which Car that Kia’s marketing department catering Europe has been investing heavily in promoting the car even though the model’s chances of success are relatively small: “It’s very, very difficult in Europe with a car like that.”

At the end of the day, the Stinger needs to be more than just a pretty car offering a well-rounded package in the eyes of reviewers – it needs to sell. Guilliame mentioned it’s more of a niche model for Europeans, but he believes there are some parts of the world where it could generate decent sales. It’s too early in the model’s life to decide whether it’s living up to Kia’s expectations, hence why a decision concerning a second generation hasn’t been made yet.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
majin ssj eric (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 11:52 PM
Punk Rocker

I'm sorry but the Stinger GT2 is still among my favorite semi-realistic dream cars out there. There just isn't a whole lot not to like with this car; its gorgeous inside and out, its spacious/practical, its high performance (in terms of GT cars), its loaded with tech features, its got a sweet heart of an engine, its great value for money (compared to its competitors), and most importantly it takes chances in a way that companies like Honda and Toyota would never do. I just love this car so much....
fsttyms1 (11-01-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 09:43 AM

Nothing to apologize for in my book.
The Stinger was high on my list prior to the C, but they were still too new to work out a deal on a purchase (lease deals were much better, but still not great on the 2.0Toy).
Old 10-30-2018, 10:56 AM
Ex-OEM King

Why are you sorry? I don't think anyone disagrees with you.
00TL-P3.2 (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 11:25 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Why are you sorry? I don't think anyone disagrees with you.
Would you like me to introduce you to Saintor and SSFTSX?

Quick Reply: Kia: Stinger News