Kia: K4/Forte News

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
how do you guys pronounce these? koreans read it for-teh... but forte kinda sounds like fort or for-ti?
Old 06-21-2009, 02:04 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + TL
I agree that their cars were pure shit boxes before, but their build quality has gone up significantly over the past few years.

I think Kia now has its own factory in Georgia.
Kia's quality and design first started to turn around w/ the C segment cee'd/pro cee'd in Europe.

Originally Posted by JAB00
The front looks like a Civic. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Originally Posted by phile
you kinda get that advantage when you copy and improve what's already been done...
Kind of like this?

2005 A4:

2006 Civic:

Or what about Honda imitating Volvo by putting the taillights on the D pillar of the CR-V?

Or Honda imitating Jeep w/ the blocky rear of the new Pilot?

Or making the front of the current Accord like the 2008 Sonata, the side like a BMW w/ the Hofmeister kink and the rear very much Saturn like?

And all the Toyota fanboys are calling the new Insight a total copy of the Prius.

Let's face it, we can find vague similarities w/ any manufacturer (even Mercedes which lifted the "eyebrow" turn signal from BMW and made the front fascia of the new E Class similar to the Lexus GS).

And frankly, the front fascia of the Forte (w/ it's larger grille and more distinctive headlights) really isn't that similar to the Civic (which has much more of the Japanese design language - thinner/narrower grilles and headlamps).

The Forte is more European-looking in character (like the previous gen Audis, just w/ some kinks and character lines to make the overall design more distinctive).

From the Popular Mechanics review of the Forte:

The first comment that leapt to the lips of some folks in a local gas station was "Hey, it looks like a little Audi." Since when was a Kia ever mistaken for an Audi? But sure enough, if you look at the high rear deck and the general proportions, the Forte certainly bears some resemblance to the cars from Ingolstadt.

Then you learn that the new design chief of Kia's California Design Center is Peter Schreyer, formerly of Audi Design, and the pieces click into place.
Are we to say the Pontiac Sky looks like the Civic due to eerie similarity in grilles?

Originally Posted by chungkopi
certainly looks more updated than the current civic. i love my wife's civic, but it needs a redesign already.

Or how about the Impreza?

(Actually, the Impreza looks like a cousin of both the Civic and the Forte.)

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Looks great, it caught my eye ever since I first saw it in a blog. It sounds like all it needs is just a little bit of polish in the drivetrain department, but other than that it should be a great daily.
It needs the new 6 spd AT from Hyundai/Kia and Kia needs to rework the manual.

Last edited by YEH; 06-21-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:36 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Btw, does anyone know if Mazda "imitated" Acura (or the other way around) w/ respect to the shape of the grille, or maybe they both came out w/ it at the same time?

Also, Mazda's new corporate "guppy" grille isn't "original" either; it's been already done by Peugeot.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by YEH
Also, Mazda's new corporate "guppy" grille isn't "original" either; it's been already done by Peugeot.
Yep - real obvious on the streets here.

Motorweek is supposed to review the Forte on the next show.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by YEH

Kind of like this?

2005 A4:

2006 Civic:

Or what about Honda imitating Volvo by putting the taillights on the D pillar of the CR-V?

Or Honda imitating Jeep w/ the blocky rear of the new Pilot?

Or making the front of the current Accord like the 2008 Sonata, the side like a BMW w/ the Hofmeister kink and the rear very much Saturn like?

And all the Toyota fanboys are calling the new Insight a total copy of the Prius.
Are you retarded?

You're referring the taillights, one aspect of the whole entire design, when the Forte copies the WHOLE ENTIRE CIVIC'S FRONT.

And as for the Prius/Insight look? Get your history straight. The 2nd gen prius was nothing more than the 1st gen Insight with 2 additional doors. And that rear glass was seen in something called a Honda CR-X years ago.

You can do the google searches yourself to learn something, i'm not going to educate you. Don't be so quick to jump to your beloved Korean brand's defense. I know there are lots of Koreans on this board and it's a battle cry for you guys, but seriously no one is raining on your Korean pride parade.

The fact is that they have, from the very beginning up to now, been copying other cars designs. You can find similarities in every car these days, but the Koreans built up a notorious reputation for doing so, and they only have themselves to blame. Sorry if that peeves you.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:38 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by biker
But the auto designers generally all come from the same design schools, go to the same trade shows, jump from auto-maker to auto-maker, etc.

Are you retarded?

You're referring the taillights, one aspect of the whole entire design, when the Forte copies the WHOLE ENTIRE CIVIC'S FRONT.
Obviously you're the one w/ the brain DEFECT since I already covered this.

Headlights - DIFFERENT shape, different size

Grille - DIFFERENT shape (no chrome t-bar across the tip, different size (much larger than the typical Honda grill which tends to be thin/narrow).

Again - which is more similar to the Civic's grille, the Forte's or the Sky's grille?

Honda actually enlarged the Civic's grille for 2009, but the Forte's design has been floating around for the past 2 years (hmmm - maybe Honda got the notion to go w/ a bigger grille from the Forte?).

Lower air dam - totally DIFFERENT shape (note: Honda changed the shape for the 2009 model year and now it's pretty much a generic 3 part air dam).

And as for the Prius/Insight look? Get your history straight. The 2nd gen prius was nothing more than the 1st gen Insight with 2 additional doors. And that rear glass was seen in something called a Honda CR-X years ago.
Uhh, the 1st gen Insight doesn't really look like the current gen Insight or Prius and wasn't that different w/ regards to the slope of its roof than some other contemporary coupes.

Anyway, that sloping shape was first done by Citroen.

You can do the google searches yourself to learn something, i'm not going to educate you. Don't be so quick to jump to your beloved Korean brand's defense. I know there are lots of Koreans on this board and it's a battle cry for you guys, but seriously no one is raining on your Korean pride parade.
Are you kidding me?

Google? Yeah, like everything on the web is so "accurate"?

Try thinking/analyzing on your OWN for once, instead of being a SHEEP.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Kind of like how most of the auto-writers stated that the Nissan Cube was Nissan's version of the Scion xB, when in fact, the Cube predated the xB in Japan by a couple of years (not that either originated the "boxy"-look which was done years before by other manufacturers such as the GMC Safari).
Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Pinky all stinky

done to death to here, keep waving your Korean flag.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice car. Much better looking than civic. This might be my daily/beater car.

Its cheap, saves gas, reliable, good Korean quality, and very simple good looking car. Something more, and nothing less...
Old 06-22-2009, 12:58 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by msl82
Very nice car. Much better looking than civic. This might be my daily/beater car.

Its cheap, saves gas, reliable, good Korean quality, and very simple good looking car. Something more, and nothing less...
yeah right. when you decide to get your beater, you are going to buy Civic, aren't you?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it from me...

The new Forte Koup is a sweet car and once it is available it will be damn good value for the money. I've driven it (around my parking lot), detailed it, and photographed it. In fact I had the first pre-production prototype of the Koup in my studio several weeks ago for a photo shoot and we are currently working on the Canadian brochure for it. The Koup's engine is more peppy than the Forte but it is not going to win any races.

The photo below was taken in my studio 2 weeks ago and yes, that's me in the driver's seat! FYI, the car is not moving in the shot. It's just made to look like its moving in Photoshop. hehehe.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by djwoody
Take it from me...

The new Forte Koup is a sweet car and once it is available it will be damn good value for the money. I've driven it (around my parking lot), detailed it, and photographed it. In fact I had the first pre-production prototype of the Koup in my studio several weeks ago for a photo shoot and we are currently working on the Canadian brochure for it. The Koup's engine is more peppy than the Forte but it is not going to win any races.

The photo below was taken in my studio 2 weeks ago and yes, that's me in the driver's seat! FYI, the car is not moving in the shot. It's just made to look like its moving in Photoshop. hehehe.

Nice, good job man.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
YEH and phile...love the discussion, but please keep it civil.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:31 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

done to death to here, keep waving your Korean flag.
Not surprisingly, you don't have anything of subtance to post w/ regard to the FACTS.

I guess me correcting posters who ignorantly bash Ford or GM's quality (which has now risen to pretty good to good for the most part) is me just waving the American flag.

Otoh, I won't defend Chrysler in the same light since the facts don't warrant it.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Pinky all stinky

^ no, i've said all those things already, I'm not certainly going to do it again for your sake. You keep thinking what you think, anyone reading your post can tell it's nothing but blind patriotism on your part. Really grasping at straws.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:56 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

^ Oh, please - "patriotism" has nothing to do w/ debunking your silly assertions, but rather it was FACTS pinpointing specific details and such (which you have still FAILED to address in a coherent manner - something other than the red herring "patriotism" argument please).
Old 07-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Pinky all stinky

because you're not worth the time. i'm sure you've read my posts foaming at the mouth and that's why you created an account just to counter me. Get a life.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX First Drive

Kia's New Direction
By Jason Kavanagh, Engineering Editor
Date posted: 07-14-2009

Mother Nature needs an attitude adjustment. We flew halfway across the planet and endured a gut-wrenching bout of food poisoning to drive the 2010 Kia Forte Koup in Seoul, Korea, only to have our driving time coincide with torrential rains, the likes of which are seen there but once or twice a year.

The deluge created gridlock in downtown Seoul and a timid pace on the flooded freeways. We plodded along washed-out byways with the Koup's wipers set on full kill, straining to see the taillights of the motorist a dozen car lengths ahead of us. This was at noon.

Kia's first-ever coupe body style deserves a better first go than this.

The Metal's Mettle
All is not lost, however, as any seat time is better than none.

Developed primarily for the North American market, the 2010 Kia Forte Koup shares its 104.3-inch wheelbase with its sedan counterpart introduced earlier this year. It's lower and shorter, and none of the coupe's sheet metal is carried over from the sedan save for the hood. The Koup's basic footprint emulates that of the Honda Civic coupe and Scion tC, which, not coincidentally, are what Kia reckons will be the Koup's main competitors.

Obvious stylistic influences from the Honda Civic are evident in the Koup's furrowed face, but it's no copycat. Styled in the elaborate, well-equipped design studio at Kia Motors America in Irvine, California, the Koup has a chunky aggression that sets it apart from its rivals. Its confident presence reveals none of the awkwardness that plagues the styling of many modern Korean cars, and the striking Koup is proof that inexpensive cars don't have to look dowdy.

Two trim levels, EX and SX, will be available when the 2010 Kia Forte Koup goes on sale in late August of this year. The EX carries a 2.0-liter inline-4 that makes 156 horsepower and 144 pound-feet of torque. You have your choice of a five-speed manual transmission or a four-speed automatic, but either way you'll get 25 mpg city/34 mpg highway.

The SX model offers a bit more sport. It steps up to a 2.4-liter four that fizzes up 173 hp and 168 lb-ft of torque. When you choose the six-speed manual gearbox, you'll get 22 mpg city/32 mpg highway. If you choose the five-speed automatic, you get 23 mpg city/31 mpg. The suspension is firmed up, the wheels grow to 17 inches, 215/45R17 tires are fitted and subtle body trimmings are added.

Pricing is yet to be finalized, though the Koup will likely eclipse the sedans slightly. Figure on base prices including destination of about $17,250 for the EX and $18,650 for the SX.

Not Quite a Wet Blanket
Through the smashing rain it's impossible to hear the voices in our head, much less discern nuances like road noise. A pause in the downpour while at a stoplight, though, reveals a rorty exhaust note. Kia's brass tells us that the engineering staff focused on enhancing the lower frequencies in the development of the Koup's engine sound compared to the sedan.

Because the 2010 Kia Forte Koup's 2,849-pound curb weight is within a few cantaloupes of the sedan, acceleration to 60 mph remains in the mid-7-second range. The engine is decently peppy but doesn't beg to be driven hard. You'll find yourself reaching for the shift lever well before redline at 6,500 rpm.

The drive-by-wire throttle calibration could use a rethink. There's so much manipulation going on that it's impossible to smoothly creep forward in Seoul's plentiful stop-and-go traffic. Driveline lash from the soft engine mounts is likely what this throttle mapping is attempting to offset.

Furthermore, successfully rev-matched downshifts are stymied as the engine hangs onto revs between gearchanges and doesn't respond crisply to throttle blips. This crummy throttle response really dulls the impression of sportiness in an otherwise acceptable powertrain.

Poking and Prodding
We have no qualms about the driving position afforded by the SX's tilt-and-telescoping wheel and height-adjustable seat. With these niceties, even guys taller than 6 feet will have headroom in front. The cabin is roomy if plain-jane, finished in subdued hard plastics arranged in a way that lacks the personality of the Koup's sheet metal. Fortunately, outward visibility is excellent, since the styling hasn't fallen victim to the recent craze of beltlines you need a periscope to see over.

To the left of the steering wheel are a curious-looking flip-down control knob and two buttons. This, of course, is the interface for the LED lights that ring the speaker grilles in the interior door panels. You can set the brightness of these red halos and even allow them to pulse to the beat of the music. (We're not making this up.)

Clambering into the backseat would benefit from a memory tilt-slide feature of the front seat to ease access and preserve the seat position. There is a surprising amount of legroom in the backseat, though headroom feels the pinch of the coupe's roof line being 2.4 inches lower than the sedan. The rear seatback is of the 60/40 split-folding variety that, alas, lacks a center armrest.

These two missteps stand in contrast to the Koup's list of features that includes Bluetooth, USB and aux jacks, keyless entry and satellite radio. Leather and a sunroof are also available. Those funky speaker lights just like those of the Kia Soul? Standard on the SX.

Fewer Doors, More Sport
Though the Koup's MacPherson strut front and twist-beam rear suspension layout is fundamentally similar to the sedan, Kia engineers have given the Koup a more sporting calibration. The Koup's dampers and antiroll bars have been pumped up for a more buttoned-down demeanor, and revised front control arms provide increased steering caster to give the feel of the helm more substance.

Our fully equipped, top-shelf SX tester is agreeably taut without spoiling the ride. Only the lumpiest pavement threatens to upset the Koup's composure. And sure enough, the Koup's body stays nicely flat when you bend it into a sweeper. The weight of the hydraulic-assisted steering is just right, too, with the kind of precision that reminds us of a Honda.

A light brush of the brakes is all it takes to shed speed — the Koup's middle pedal is almost too responsive at the top of its stroke. Among the free-for-all known as Seoul's traffic, brake behavior of this sort is something of a mixed blessing.

Beyond these cursory impressions we'll reserve judgment about the Koup's willingness to wriggle until one shows up at our office for a full test.

Clearing, With a Chance of Horsepower
Kia wants to shed its cheap-and-cheerful image and metamorphose into an automaker with which driving enthusiasts can identify. The 2010 Kia Forte Koup shows the company pivoting around to face the right direction, and it offers more style than you'd typically find at its price point. Not quite a Civic Si with money on the roof, the Koup is more of a base Civic coupe with a twinkle in its eye.

So the obvious question is whether a true performance variant of the Koup in the vein of the Si is in the cards. When pressed, Kia's marketing head replies, "A higher-performance model has not been decided yet. However, we are working on a direct-injected 200-hp turbocharged 1.6-liter engine that would fit in the Koup."

As the next logical step in the Forte's evolution, that's something we can get behind.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 07-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Race Director

Not quite a Civic Si with money on the roof, the Koup is more of a base Civic coupe with a twinkle in its eye.
And that money on the roof will likely be gone come resale time. Nothing to see here, move along.......
Old 07-16-2009, 01:49 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Kia's brand image and resale value are improving at least..
Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Needs to clean up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While driving in to work I saw nice looking sedan in tracffic up front. I wondering what it was, I caught up to it, I found it saw it was Forte. The vehicle had quite a strong road presence from back, and looked much better than what I would have expected from Kia. As a compact it I think it looks quite good comparaed to Civic, Corolla, Sentra & its Hyundai twin Elantra (I think).

The other car that impressed me on my way home on Friday was the new E550 coupe. It has class leading presence and looked real mean with its Led lights. The looks of the car really flowed from front to back. Since the looks of RL seems to follow the E class/S class, I hope that the 3G RL (if there is one) atleast borrows some clues from the new E.

Last edited by sr4dt; 08-31-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
And that money on the roof will likely be gone come resale time. Nothing to see here, move along.......
No doubt it's going to take Kia some time to get their resale numbers up to Honda's.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This looks much more appealing than the Civic
Old 09-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
This looks much more appealing than the Civic
sure is, its like a more aggressive version of the civic, very good looking.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2010 Kia Forte Koup Type R Concept

Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

Arriving at the gateway to the 2010-2011 auto show season, Kia Motors America (KMA) is ready to roll at the 2010 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas with a diverse and attention-grabbing lineup of concept and production-intent vehicles to further showcase Kia's eye-catching new generation of vehicles.

Inspired by the excitement and competition Kia experienced in its inaugural season of racing in the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge, and with an eye on future production vehicle applications, the Kia Forte Koup Type R Concept confidently showcases the performance possibilities Kia's first two-door coupe provides. Developed by Kinetic Motorsports, who built and campaigns Kia's Forte Koup race cars, the Type R features dramatically enhanced exterior panels that exaggerate the existing body lines, including the front fenders, rocker panels and rear quarter panels. The Forte Koup Type R rolls on BBS RG 18-inch forged aluminum alloy wheels and racing-inspired tires and suspension components.

Inside, the Forte Koup Type R's modified interior offers ergonomic improvements for the driver, while custom seat/door treatments and safety restraints reflect its sporty nature. A short throw shift kit with Kinetic gear shift knob and carbon inlay complements the dampened composite fiber disc clutch to enhance the driving experience.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
That's great and all but it still has 140hp or whatever.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:56 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ ...but you will look like you have 200bhp
Old 11-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by charliemike
you don't know what you are talking about.. it has dual exhaust.. that's like extra 50 hp
Old 11-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
back looks like an evo. not bad looking at all but performance needs to be there
Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Scion Tc on steroids.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike
the widebody kit and type r badges add at least 30 RWHP
Old 11-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Safety Car

so.. is this type R kinda like a-spec??? lol
Old 11-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTwEeZi
the widebody kit and type r badges add at least 30 RWHP
ohhhh that makes sense why there's no power increase...
guess they didn't realized it was a front wheel drive and added the power to the rear wheel.. duh
Old 11-10-2010, 05:10 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
supposedly theres going to be a refreshed interior and power bump for 2012
Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by yohan81718
ohhhh that makes sense why there's no power increase...
guess they didn't realized it was a front wheel drive and added the power to the rear wheel.. duh
are you kidding me? another 20 for the CF rear diffuser atleast.. thats 250RWHP FTW!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Pinky all stinky

I think it's supposed to conjure up images of the Batmobile with that dull gray color and the gills in the bodywork.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
If they would make a serious attempt at a production-viable performance version of the Koup I think they'd make a killing (say the turbo 2.0 liter from the Gen-coupe)....
Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Race Director

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UA9Ma2Hcl-c

A new Kia Forte sedan will be unveiled later this year in South Korea, and it's almost certainly headed for the U.S.

From the looks of the teaser photo, the new Forte will have a new, wider, lower, more powerful look. It could be the perfect companion to the larger Optima, which has been a hit in the marketplace. It gets the swoop-backed roofline that's so popular now.

The teardrop-shaped headlights are a styling cue, first seen on the carmaker's upcoming Quoris luxury performance sedan.

The new Forte will go on sale in South Korea early next year, with a new hatchback and coupe model going on sale shortly thereafter. We'd expect a similar time frame for the model to go on sale in the U.S.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Race Director

Quick Reply: Kia: K4/Forte News