Old 08-22-2017, 04:17 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
I want a Jeep, bad.

Buy before they go

https://www.wsj.com/articles/great-w...eep-1503324902

Great Wall Who? The Chinese Car Maker That Wants to Buy Jeep

A move by Chinese auto maker for Jeep—Fiat Chrysler’s most-lucrative business by far—would be an ambitious one

Aug. 21, 2017

SHANGHAI—In China, private auto makers have struggled to escape the shadow of their much bigger state-run rivals, which have formed lucrative joint ventures with foreign firms and enjoy easier access to credit.

Great Wall Motor Co. is one of the exceptions—thanks in large part to a big bet on the sport-utility vehicle. Now, it says it wants to go after one of the segment’s best-known makers: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Jeep unit.

Great Wall, a Shanghai- and Hong Kong-listed company that dates back to 1984, is worth roughly $16 billion in market value. That is less than half that of Fiat Chrysler’s $38 billion capitalization, making a serious play for Jeep—Fiat Chrysler’s largest and most-lucrative business by far—a big bite.

Still, financing an overseas acquisition might not be much of a hurdle if Beijing backs such a move, analysts say. China has reined in global deal making by many of its biggest companies, but it continues to profess strategic interest in enlarging its footprint in the global auto industry.

At first, Great Wall mostly built small pickups. By the late 1990s, it was China’s biggest domestic producer of those vehicles. Earlier this decade, however, Great Wall was quick to divine that China, until then mostly a sedan market, was poised to follow the U.S.—where growth and profitability have long been dominated by the SUV.

In 2013, it launched a stand-alone SUV brand, Haval. It quickly soaked up much of the early demand for such models, offering a much more affordable option than the imports available in China at the time. The Haval also won respect among consumers, one of just a few homegrown brands that have done so.

Last year, Great Wall sold 1.07 million vehicles, up 26% compared with a year earlier, making it one of China’s top-selling auto makers. The company this year launched a new premium SUV brand, Wey, taking more direct aim at a market segment still dominated by foreign marques.

That success helped make company founder Wei Jianjun one of China’s richest men. He has a personal fortune of around $5.8 billion, according to the Hurun Report, which tracks the wealth of China’s richest individuals.

Auto analysts estimate Great Wall has consistently been one of China’s most profitable auto makers, though it has hit headwinds recently. Great Wall’s first-half profit fell 49% to $373 million, a decline analysts attributed to heavy discounting during a slow start to the year for China’s auto market.

Great Wall is still far behind state-run giants like SAIC Motor Co. SAIC has partnerships with Volkswagen AG and General Motors Co. , and pumped out 6.5 million cars last year.

It was also just eclipsed by another privately owned rival, Geely Automobile Holding Ltd. Geely, which bought Swedish brand Volvo in 2010, sold 766,000 cars last year, but beat out Great Wall in sales volumes in the first half of the year.

Geely has won credit for pumping investment into Volvo and turning that brand around. Great Wall, meanwhile, has had less overseas success.

Great Wall sold under 16,000 vehicles abroad last year, according to the company’s annual report, almost all of them in the developing world, despite marketing its vehicles in developed markets like the U.K. and Australia.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Turbodiesel V6 Rubicon

I hope the diesel emissions scandal doesn't cripple the engine or company.

Also I doubt FCA will part with one of their most successful brands. Everybody has their price, but...
Old 08-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
i'd rock the hell out of a new scrambler!!
man, just give me a used 2012 and i'd be happy to mall crawl it!!
Old 08-23-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 5,291 Likes on 3,625 Posts
Looking at the camo shots, is it pretty much just an extra LWB Wrangler with a truck bed?
Either way, the single cab shown looks awesome.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,824 Likes on 3,848 Posts
i'd rock the hell out of a new scrambler!!
man, just give me a used 2012 and i'd be happy to mall crawl it!!
Buy a new one, they'd be similar in price anyway. The resale on these is unreal.

In other news, I'm 95% sure I'm going to get a JL Rubi when it comes out...

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Looking at the camo shots, is it pretty much just an extra LWB Wrangler with a truck bed?
Either way, the single cab shown looks awesome.
Yes. They probably won't sell the single cab.
justnspace (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:07 PM

No single/extra cab would be lame. The double cab with the bed is too long :gheylaugh:

I'm the kind of person of prefers extra cab trucks. Looks better, and has a backseat and extra storage. Don't care too much for backseat comfort as I'm not sitting back there

Proportions seem jacked up when the bed is tiny and the cab is half the length of the entire truck. I'll wait to see how the final product looks in person.
justnspace (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:32 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
I've been following the JL updates pretty closely. Rumor is that they're increasing the base price by $2500

Source: $2500 Base Price Increase for JL Wrangler | Page 3 | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JT) - Pickup Truck, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com

I have a 2013 JKU and itching for something new. I was thinking about getting a JLU rubi, but I'm expecting it to be insanely priced. Is it me or are cars getting way too expensive these days? I can't imagine the MSRP on a JLU rubi in diesel.

JL/JLUs are scheduled to debut at the LA auto show in Nov. They're building the JKs for another 6 months (until march) and overlapping the JLs. Production and order banks for the JLs start in Nov.

The factory building the JKs will be retooled to start building the JTs
Old 08-23-2017, 03:46 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if a JLU Rubicon Diesel started at around 50k. By then though, do you really need much else? Put bigger tires on that sucker, mild lift, and you can tackle basically anything, including the actual Rubicon trail itself. You get a factory backed, extremely capable package with warranty.

There are guys that have no problem dropping 50k on crew max Tundras, lifting them putting huge tires on them just to crawl at the mall.

This thing will sell. I want one, and it will be used for what it's intended for.
justnspace (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Costco
Wouldn't be surprised if a JLU Rubicon Diesel started at around 50k. By then though, do you really need much else? Put bigger tires on that sucker, mild lift, and you can tackle basically anything, including the actual Rubicon trail itself. You get a factory backed, extremely capable package with warranty.

There are guys that have no problem dropping 50k on crew max Tundras, lifting them putting huge tires on them just to crawl at the mall.

This thing will sell. I want one, and it will be used for what it's intended for.
Was actually talking to my dad about this earlier this week. If there were more around Houston than just 'getting muddy' I'd be more interested in getting a 4WD.
Really enjoyed running the trails outside of Scottsdale earlier this year.
justnspace (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by SHYUperman
I've been following the JL updates pretty closely. Rumor is that they're increasing the base price by $2500

Source: $2500 Base Price Increase for JL Wrangler Page 3 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JT) - Pickup Truck, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com

I have a 2013 JKU and itching for something new. I was thinking about getting a JLU rubi, but I'm expecting it to be insanely priced. Is it me or are cars getting way too expensive these days? I can't imagine the MSRP on a JLU rubi in diesel.

JL/JLUs are scheduled to debut at the LA auto show in Nov. They're building the JKs for another 6 months (until march) and overlapping the JLs. Production and order banks for the JLs start in Nov.

The factory building the JKs will be retooled to start building the JTs
It's going to be nuts. The diesel flat out won't be worth it to buy. The 4cyl turbo will definitely be the one to get though. Also, I'm hoping that the higher starting price will just include all the options that everyone orders anyway. There are even fewer people that want a Jeep without power windows and door locks than those that want a manual Acura.

JLU Rubicon will likely be my next ride.

Was actually talking to my dad about this earlier this week. If there were more around Houston than just 'getting muddy' I'd be more interested in getting a 4WD.
That's exactly the point and the biggest reason I want a (or another for that matter) Jeep is that it lets you go out and explore to get that adventure. There's nothing around here to go explore but having that would push us to do more road trips and Jamborees. The Trailhawk was great for the trails in Ouray that we did but now I want more...

Last edited by SamDoe1; 08-23-2017 at 04:43 PM.
justnspace (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 02:12 AM

Having forced induction is huge, will help drastically with elevation. Recently went on trails at over 10k ft, the power loss was palpable.

I am not familiar with Texas off roading at all, though I know it's pretty flat.

The closest worthwhile off road parks are over an hour away from us, to give some perspective. My recommendation is to find a local family oriented 4x4 club. Or if you see a neighbor with a very prepped looking rig, proudly wearing mud (double cab, long bed F250s need not apply) you can ask them if they go on any trails.

Mudding is fun too! I have never gone into any deep bogs, for fear of getting stuck. But after heavy rains, dirt becomes a lot more fun, as long as it's not deep.

Even just driving on uneven, rocky roads is fun. I'm getting to the point where I want to sell my sports car and get an off road rig.
justnspace (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Buy a new one, they'd be similar in price anyway. The resale on these is unreal.

In other news, I'm 95% sure I'm going to get a JL Rubi when it comes out...

i'm poor and only can dream
I could get a pre-2012!

those are still fun!
Old 08-24-2017, 08:54 AM

Having forced induction is huge, will help drastically with elevation. Recently went on trails at over 10k ft, the power loss was palpable.

I am not familiar with Texas off roading at all, though I know it's pretty flat.

The closest worthwhile off road parks are over an hour away from us, to give some perspective. My recommendation is to find a local family oriented 4x4 club. Or if you see a neighbor with a very prepped looking rig, proudly wearing mud (double cab, long bed F250s need not apply) you can ask them if they go on any trails.

Mudding is fun too! I have never gone into any deep bogs, for fear of getting stuck. But after heavy rains, dirt becomes a lot more fun, as long as it's not deep.

Even just driving on uneven, rocky roads is fun. I'm getting to the point where I want to sell my sports car and get an off road rig.
I'm pretty sure I'd have to drive over an hour to get into anything that isn't just 'going mudding'.
I'm sure out in the Hill Country around Austin there may be more trail type driving, but that's 3-4 hours away. Rather just go down to MSR or the new Kart track & turn some laps.
justnspace (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 AM

^thats probably why I think a TJ or a JK(pre-2012) would still be fun. wouldnt want to drive them on the highways, but if could tow them out to the hill country
Old 08-24-2017, 01:06 PM

I'd rather just drive it out there, but have never driven/been in a Wrangler for more than in town. So no idea how it would be for a couple hours.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:12 PM

^just poor fuel economy.<br />i made it to Dallas in the TL with one tank. i bet you would have to stop several times to fill up
Old 08-24-2017, 01:39 PM

I'm pretty sure I'd have to drive over an hour to get into anything that isn't just 'going mudding'.
I'm sure out in the Hill Country around Austin there may be more trail type driving, but that's 3-4 hours away. Rather just go down to MSR or the new Kart track & turn some laps.
We have annual camping trips that take up a whole weekend or slightly more. Travel time is usually 4-6 hours. Sometimes more

^thats probably why I think a TJ or a JK(pre-2012) would still be fun. wouldnt want to drive them on the highways, but if could tow them out to the hill country
2012+ for the 3.6!

One caveat is the backseat on the JKU is awful. I said I didn't care about the backseat, but I've sat in the back of one and it's torture. There's a cheap mod to remedy it though
Old 08-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Ex-OEM King

Whatever floats your boat but offroading is addicting. You'll never have that much fun going 0.5mph anywhere else.

2012+ for the 3.6!

One caveat is the backseat on the JKU is awful. I said I didn't care about the backseat, but I've sat in the back of one and it's torture. There's a cheap mod to remedy it though
3.6L is a must. Also, there's a cheap mod to remedy just about anything with a Wrangler lol.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:26 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Yes... don't get the mini van 3.8l with the 2007-2011 JKs, also watch out for the ticking cylinder head with the 2012s.

Justnspace want to buy my jeep?

Jeep: Wrangler News-q1hrsdd.jpg
justnspace (10-17-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 11:07 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I've heard great things about Hidden Falls Adventure Park. A bunch of my friends drive Jeeps and go out there.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Ahead of its official debut, folks at the JL Wrangler forum leaked the next-generation Jeep Wrangler’s owner’s manual and user guides. That means all the new Jeep’s features are now out in the public for anyone that wants to digest the 604-page user’s manual. While a new car’s user manual usually only comes out to assess what that weird light in the dash means, and if it’s time to take it into a shop, this leaked manual might be the most read new car manual in a long, long time.

Along with the dry-but-informative owner’s manual, the less-dense user guide shows even more of the new Jeep’s secrets. The guide uses pictures and easy bullet points to show the new Jeep’s important features in a scant 336 pages. Still, the pictures in the pages show what exactly the new Jeep’s dash is going to look like and how its automatic shifter will work. It also outlines that a 2.0-liter I4 engine is coming along with the 3.6-liter V6, though we doubt it’ll have 368 hp.

The next-gen Jeep Wrangler's interior as seen in the Jeep's User Guide.

The Jeep Wrangler’s successor is getting ready to have the curtain pulled on its new bodywork at the LA Auto Show. While at first glance it might not look too different from ...

The documents also outline how to operate an optional “power sliding top” for those that want the comfort of a hard top but access to open-air fun.

Despite most of the Wrangler’s information now being out in the open, there are still details that don't up in the guides like horsepower and torque figures. Of course, by the time you read through all of the info in the manual, it might be time to see the new Jeep at the LA Auto Show.

Read more: Leaked: The 2018 Jeep Wrangler's owner's manual is here | Autoweek
Old 10-17-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by SHYUperman
Yes... don't get the mini van 3.8l with the 2007-2011 JKs, also watch out for the ticking cylinder head with the 2012s.

Justnspace want to buy my jeep?
i know it sold already, but that's a beautiful machine!
SHYUperman (10-17-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 09:18 AM

Not much to show yet:

https://www.netcarshow.com/jeep/2018-wrangler/

The most capable SUV ever delivers even more legendary Jeep® 4x4 capability, a modern design that stays true to the original, advanced fuel-efficient powertrains, more open-air options, and is loaded with more safety features and advanced technology than ever before. The all-new Jeep Wrangler's unique design includes an instantly recognizable keystone-shaped grille, iconic round headlamps and square tail lamps, improved aerodynamics, a convenient fold-down windshield for off-road purists, even more open-air freedom, and dozens of different door, top and windshield combinations.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 AM

fuckin sexy!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Yes love it!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:49 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Gosh I love the 2-door Wranglers. Will never get over the 4-door.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:01 PM

There are 7-slots on the cowl too, nice.

Interior seems to be a lot better. The JK interior is really showing its age at this point, and even the refreshed one doesn't match the rest of Jeep's lineup.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:31 AM

Couple more shots:

Old 11-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Ex-OEM King

Ugh, this isn't making my decision any easier. That interior looks awesome. I have a loaner JK right now while my Cherokee is in for warranty work and the interior is abysmal. Like really terrible for a $35k Jeep. That one pictured looks infinitely better.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:45 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Double sticks... the hi/lo selector is so tall.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
Double sticks... the hi/lo selector is so tall.
I'd buy the auto. The manual trans in a Wrangler is seriously terrible.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Very impressed with the new interior.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:35 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

I'd buy the auto. The manual trans in a Wrangler is seriously terrible.
Seriously? That's disappointing. I'd personally never buy an auto Wrangler. Seems like a waste of fun.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
Seriously? That's disappointing. I'd personally never buy an auto Wrangler. Seems like a waste of fun.
Auto Wrangler is definitely better. Trust me, you're not wasting any fun with it and especially so with going off road. If going up a steep incline or tedious terrain, the last thing you want to worry about is a clutch. And fording deep water, you can't change gear while the transmission is submerged. On the road, the Wrangler driving experience sucks, there aren't many cars that are worse to drive on a daily basis than a Wrangler. The fun is in the cool quirks it has and the way it sort of meanders around the road. Oh and also, off road is quite a good time.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:43 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Auto Wrangler is definitely better. Trust me, you're not wasting any fun with it and especially so with going off road. If going up a steep incline or tedious terrain, the last thing you want to worry about is a clutch. And fording deep water, you can't change gear while the transmission is submerged. On the road, the Wrangler driving experience sucks, there aren't many cars that are worse to drive on a daily basis than a Wrangler. The fun is in the cool quirks it has and the way it sort of meanders around the road. Oh and also, off road is quite a good time.
^this

One of my buddies that used to own a 2012JK manual would stall all the time when we wheeled at Rausch Creek. It got better when he regeared it to 5.13s. DD'ing a Wrangler isn't bad... it's when you throw on larger tires and bumpers/armor that makes it drive like a dog. Regear helps it out a lot for the 3.6l, can't imagine folks with the 3.8. But when you take the doors and top off, it's definitely worth it.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
There are 7-slots on the cowl too, nice.

Interior seems to be a lot better. The JK interior is really showing its age at this point, and even the refreshed one doesn't match the rest of Jeep's lineup.
This x100.

I just drove a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Sport as a rental and even though it was the base Sport trim, the interior definitely looked/felt quite dated. And it only had 300mi on it.

But of course, IMO, using a Wrangler frequently for it's actually intended and capable purposes...I couldn't care less about interior as long as it did it's off-roading job properly. But then again many Wranglers are just mall crawlers so there's that and those who do need it to be a DD in addition to off-roading duties.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:50 PM

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/suv...-and-much-tech

A Jeep Wrangler with WiFi? And a four-cylinder turbo? It's almost modern...

Say hello to the new Jeep Wrangler. Yes, really. It’s a brand new Wrangler that’s lighter and techier than ever. Jeep, perhaps sensibly, has just kept it looking largely the same as before.

That doesn’t mean there aren’t tweaks. A more steeply raked grille might actually introduce a modicum of aerodynamics to the Wrangler, while the lights are familiar in shape but are fancy LEDs. Aluminium panels drop the weight. Interestingly, there are several choices of body style.

Your pick of two or four doors remains, while you can have a traditional hard top or two types of open top: one that involves removing many body panels (dropping the weight even more), or a powered soft top. Jeep went there decades before the Range Rover Evoque cabrio, don’t forget. And here, you can even flip the windscreen down for more open-airiness.

But it’s beneath the skin where the really new stuff happens. While a distinctly old-school V6 engine kicks off the range, there’s a 2.0-litre turbo four with less power (268bhp) but more torque (295lb ft) sitting above it.

There’s a choice of two- and four-wheel drive and manual and automatic gearboxes, while a diesel and hybrid should follow in due course. The turbo engine comes with a mild hybrid system, but a proper petrol-electric powertrain has already been hinted at.

While all the Wrangler’s rufty-tufty off-roading stuff lies beneath the skin, it’s now joined by things that modern SUV buyers expect. So there are three choices of media system, all of which get Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, a WiFi hotspot and many charging ports.

Like what you see? Or would you rather wait for Land Rover’s next Defender?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jeep: Wrangler News