Jeep: Grand Cherokee News

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 02:24 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
For a 700hp SUV....damn insane and awesome.

But for $85k.....you certainly aren't paying for the interior cause that one interior pic looks absolutely horrendous. But again interior luxury is NOT what you're paying for when buying this car...
Those jeeps, especially the higher trim models have VERY nice interiors. With lots of high quality materials through out with the correct package. I would absolutely put it in the luxury category. After all, the Grand Wagoneer and Grand Cherokee are the OG luxury SUVs.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
^ Is the new Wagoneer/GW still happening?
Old 08-09-2017, 04:37 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
I would definitely buy one if I am in the market for a performance SUV. This thing is smoking hot.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
First thing i would do is to find the widest rear tire on the market and put it on

Whatever it came from the factory cannot handle 700 hp...

is this still RWD bias?

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-09-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Those jeeps, especially the higher trim models have VERY nice interiors. With lots of high quality materials through out with the correct package. I would absolutely put it in the luxury category. After all, the Grand Wagoneer and Grand Cherokee are the OG luxury SUVs.
I am a HUGE fan of the current GC, however I have to strongly disagree with you except with one exception. My cousin is leasing a 2017 GC SRT (newest revision) and I got to take it for a quick spin. The interior is incredibly cheap IMHO and his had an msrp of 79k. Yeah the top of the doors is leather and the dash as well, but then they have this super hard, shiny, cheap plastic just under it and all over the lower section of the doors. It is the first 80k vehicle I have been in that does NOT feel like it cost 80k. My other cousin owns a 2012 Jeep GC Limited and the interiors are about on par for quality (with the exception that the SRT has leather vs injection molded upper sections. So what I am trying to say is that the bottom and top trim GC's don't really feel like a leap in quality. The other issue is that while attractive, the interior is kind of boring. There are no wow components or things that make me stop and think wow.

Now I mentioned one exception and that is the 5K full leather package (which I have yet to see in person) available on the summit and srt trims. It replaces all hard plastic surfaces in the interior (like everything) with real leather. I have yet to see this package in person, but I am really hoping I will get the opportunity to do so soon.

So to recap, I like what Jeep is doing with the GC. However I still feel that they are really cheapening out quite a bit in noticeable areas. I hate to keep bringing this up, but go and sit in a 50k Kia Sorento SX+ with the two tone interior and you will see what I mean about feeling expensive.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Team Owner

Neither Jeep or Kia are in the Luxury segment. regardless what it feels like or what material or whatnot, it does not matter, it will not give you the feel of AMG or X5M or an Audi.

Let's just focus on what is important, 707HP !!!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Neither Jeep or Kia are in the Luxury segment. regardless what it feels like or what material or whatnot, it does not matter, it will not give you the feel of AMG or X5M or an Audi.

Let's just focus on what is important, 707HP !!!
Have you sat in the k900 at all? Sit in that and tell me Kia isn't in the luxury segment :wink:

But that is really besides the point, the 707hp is STOUT! If they can put the GC on an aluminum and magneisum diet it would be ridiculous.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Team Owner

Luxury segment is not all about technology, material or even the product itself. Accord has more tech than my car. But It is about the details, innovation, overall experience and the ownership experience and service experience and the way the car makes you feel...
It is a luxury, not a necessity. It is all about the excess.

And yes i have sat in K900 and and the Equis and yes they are very very well equipped But they do not make me "FEEL" i am driving a Tier 1 product. As shallow or superficial as it sounds, that is what luxury brand is all about. That is not exclusive to cars. Any luxury brand, Hermes, Gucci, or just pick 1.

Unless KIA or Jeep can sell a car at double of the price of others... or even charge more for less, then they are not a luxury brand.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Luxury segment is not all about technology, material or even the product itself. Accord has more tech than my car. But It is about the details, innovation, overall experience and the ownership experience and service experience and the way the car makes you feel...
It is a luxury, not a necessity. It is all about the excess.

And yes i have sat in K900 and and the Equis and yes they are very very well equipped But they do not make me "FEEL" i am driving a Tier 1 product. As shallow or superficial as it sounds, that is what luxury brand is all about. That is not exclusive to cars. Any luxury brand, Hermes, Gucci, or just pick 1.

Unless KIA or Jeep can sell a car at double of the price of others... or even charge more for less, then they are not a luxury brand.
I feel like I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time lol. I agree fully that it's not just about tech and materials, however I disagree that those don't play a massive part. The s-class with RLX levels of technology and materials would be a joke if that makes sense.

I agree FULLY that it is about FEEL and not always tangible things like features and materials. I do also agree that brand is a MASSIVE component of Luxury. But with that being said we need to be careful somewhat with wording here. A vehicle can be luxurious but not a luxury branded vehicle and there is of course a very subjective component to what people consider luxury. I sat in the newest MDX advance and it is FAR from luxurious to me, same goes with the RLX as well. On the flip side the G80 I drove for a week really felt awesome, better than the RLX - BY FAR - and I did feel like I was driving a luxury car. I'd assume that the G90 would really wow me.

At the end of the day, I agree with you. Neither Kia or Jeep is in the Luxury game, but with respects to the K900, IMHO I do think it is a luxurious car, but definitely not a luxury car.

Do I make any sense? I feel like I'm saying the same thing as you are to be honest.

Also FWIW I sat in a 2014 Equus ultimate over the weekend and I was VERY disappointed. What a complete joke that car was. Good materials but I couldn't get the grandpa vibe out.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RDX10
I feel like I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time lol. I agree fully that it's not just about tech and materials, however I disagree that those don't play a massive part. The s-class with RLX levels of technology and materials would be a joke if that makes sense.

I agree FULLY that it is about FEEL and not always tangible things like features and materials. I do also agree that brand is a MASSIVE component of Luxury. But with that being said we need to be careful somewhat with wording here. A vehicle can be luxurious but not a luxury branded vehicle and there is of course a very subjective component to what people consider luxury. I sat in the newest MDX advance and it is FAR from luxurious to me, same goes with the RLX as well. On the flip side the G80 I drove for a week really felt awesome, better than the RLX - BY FAR - and I did feel like I was driving a luxury car. I'd assume that the G90 would really wow me.

At the end of the day, I agree with you. Neither Kia or Jeep is in the Luxury game, but with respects to the K900, IMHO I do think it is a luxurious car, but definitely not a luxury car.

Do I make any sense? I feel like I'm saying the same thing as you are to be honest.

Also FWIW I sat in a 2014 Equus ultimate over the weekend and I was VERY disappointed. What a complete joke that car was. Good materials but I couldn't get the grandpa vibe out.
That is the point. you can think any car is luxurious to you. and i agree with you that G90 is luxurious... in pretty much every thing.... But that does not make Kia or Jeep a luxury brand.
you are judging 2014 Equuis by current standard... i remember when it first came out... at 60k, you can't find anything more "luxurious" at 60k... yes it does feel old but i believe that is also its targeted market.

The rear seat felt like cloud.... i still remember it very clearly.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,829 Likes on 3,850 Posts
Now they need a Durango Hellcat to compete...
I'm sure it's not far behind lol. Hellcat all the things.

For $85k, this thing is a bargain. The closest competitors in terms of performance are Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and X5/6 M, they both are well over $100k. Also, the X5/6 have a less than luxurious interior as well. The SRT models have nice interiors but I wouldn't call them luxurious. They are sport models with more go than show. The Summit GC has a luxurious interior with much less go.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Team Owner

Actually X5/M can be had around 100k. unless you wanna start adding those unnecessary options. Most of the typical features are standard.

But that is still $15k more and 150 less hp....
Old 08-11-2017, 01:19 PM
The Third Ball

Actually X5/M can be had around 100k. unless you wanna start adding those unnecessary options. Most of the typical features are standard.

My friends x5M was $118k and I wouldnt say the interior isn't luxurious.

the porsche is closer to $150k

I wouldnt call most SRT interiors, luxurious. They are nicely appointed with lots of soft touch materials. Some plastic. I wouldnt call them cheap. People just can't accept for an american cars FCA has really stepped up the interiors in a lot of these vehicles. But the Jeep...The jeep can have a luxury interior. And I wouldnt say the JEEP is NOT luxury. Jeep started the luxury SUV segment. And I know many people, who are not brand biased, who have said they prefer the Jeep interior to the BMW. Not sure where I am on that debate as I like both.

The only thing FCA needs to start incorporating to their interiors is the under leg bolstering/relief in to their driver seats. I really wish my Durango had that.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

That is the point. you can think any car is luxurious to you. and i agree with you that G90 is luxurious... in pretty much every thing.... But that does not make Kia or Jeep a luxury brand.
you are judging 2014 Equuis by current standard... i remember when it first came out... at 60k, you can't find anything more "luxurious" at 60k... yes it does feel old but i believe that is also its targeted market.

The rear seat felt like cloud.... i still remember it very clearly.
Lmao ultimately I think we are actually in agreement! No Neep and Kia are NOT luxury brands. Also that Equus was 2014, maybe for the money it is really good, but I was not wowed.

I was thinking about this as well, my brothers friend owns a 2016 X5M, black on red interior with carbon fibre trim and that has to be the sickest interior I have ever seen in person.

I wouldnt call most SRT interiors, luxurious. They are nicely appointed with lots of soft touch materials. Some plastic. I wouldnt call them cheap. People just can't accept for an american cars FCA has really stepped up the interiors in a lot of these vehicles. But the Jeep...The jeep can have a luxury interior. And I wouldnt say the JEEP is NOT luxury. Jeep started the luxury SUV segment. And I know many people, who are not brand biased, who have said they prefer the Jeep interior to the BMW. Not sure where I am on that debate as I like both.

The only thing FCA needs to start incorporating to their interiors is the under leg bolstering/relief in to their driver seats. I really wish my Durango had that.
I have to agree here, the X5M interior is absolutely stunning. The quality is plain awesome and really blew my mind. Conversely, we rented a base X5 with the 3.0l turbo and it was built nice, but felt FAR from luxurious.

It agree that it probably wouldn't be fair to call the SRT interior cheap, but I wouldn't call it luxury either. However I think it's luxurious enough. The Cayenne turbo S starts at 150k and I don't even think it has some features standard on the trackhawk so porsche can keep their superflous features, I'd rather have more power instead. I think Jeep can be luxurious, but I personally don't consider them a luxury brand persay. However they keep making HUGE changes with each iteration of their products. For example the new wrangler is going to have 3 engine options (one of which is a diesel) and an 8 speed auto!

I also think you hit the nail right on the head, the next thing chrysler needs to focus on is their seating. They need to be a little less flat, more bolstering, and more adjustability. While I liked the seats in my cousins SRT GC, I felt like it really needed some thigh support and more adjustability.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Team Owner

Yah they can easily go up to $118k with X5M,... the Ceranmic brake is like $9k But the one i built and drove was a little over $100k. White with red and CF trim.

BMW was never known for its interior. Depends on your perspective, they even refuse to change or they follow their traditional design. As you probably noticed by now, BMW's interior is all about trend setting, user friendless and the quality is in the details. As far as the design, they were never great and probably never will be. They even managed to make a full digital cluster look like the traditional analog ones.

I have always been very critical about BMW's interior especially when you compare it with Audi's and Benz's. But after having to live with it for a while, i kinda understand that the culture/tradition of BMW's interiors.

But back to the Hellcat, i am sure most of the people are not buying it because of its interior or luxury, it is all about the performance and that is enough.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-11-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

So according to auto trader.ca the trackhawk will start at just under 110k.....is that some sort of fucking joke or something? 110k for a Jeep? I'm sorry, I don't care if it has 707hp and 0-60 in 3.5s. But 110k is just absurd, the X5M starts at 100k and can do the same 0-60 (while I'm certain killing this thing in corners) and certainly a better interior......Chrysler should have put the powertrain in a maserati SUV and asked that price. Not in some Jeep.

I mean maybe I'm fully wrong, the Jeep GC SRT itself is some sort of anomally in
that it's about 70-85k here and I still see a few a day. Maybe people will spend that kind of money on a Jeep. I don't know.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

They don't care about Canada.

X5M starts at $100k in Canada? same starting MSRP as US?
Old 08-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Wtf are you talking about, RDX10? BMW interiors are fucking brutal. As someone recently said to me: "I've been buying audis and mercs for years on end. I cant buy a BMW because the interior reminds me of a funeral home."

I wont argue with that. I was driving around in a 2011 X5M and couldn't believe what a sad interior that was. Not only does it look identical to every other BMW interior produced over the last decade, it was also drab. Nothing special. Nothing that made it seem luxurious. Nothing screamed to me that the car was over 100k when new. Quite the opposite, sadly.

Also, have you seen the jeep interior with the Laguna leather package? Fuck me, it looks great. You might be right about the handling aspect, but at the end of the day, it's still a fucking tall SUV that suffers from body roll, amongst other less desirable handling characteristics. I've yet to ever see someone pushing an x5m through the corners.

Finally, I too thought the x5m was more than that, here. Also, consider that even if it starts 10k cheaper than the Trackhawk, it can easily surpass it too, in terms of options. At 110k for the trackhawk, you're getting a fully optioned vehicle. That's not the case the the x5m.

Finally finally, I'm willing to wager $20 that the trackhawk will hold its value way better than the x5m. The BMW is not sold in limited production numbers. However, how many people can say they have a 707hp SUV, right from the factory? People will pay a premium for that. And people with money who can afford it won't give a shit either. I'm willing to bet there are people in line for one of these.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:40 AM
Suzuka Master

They don't care about Canada.

X5M starts at $100k in Canada? same starting MSRP as US?
Lol I guess they don't. I just checked BMW Canada (it's been a while since I checked) and it is actually 110k starting price too. So my apologies for the mix up.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Wtf are you talking about, RDX10? BMW interiors are fucking brutal. As someone recently said to me: "I've been buying audis and mercs for years on end. I cant buy a BMW because the interior reminds me of a funeral home."

I wont argue with that. I was driving around in a 2011 X5M and couldn't believe what a sad interior that was. Not only does it look identical to every other BMW interior produced over the last decade, it was also drab. Nothing special. Nothing that made it seem luxurious. Nothing screamed to me that the car was over 100k when new. Quite the opposite, sadly.

Also, have you seen the jeep interior with the Laguna leather package? Fuck me, it looks great. You might be right about the handling aspect, but at the end of the day, it's still a fucking tall SUV that suffers from body roll, amongst other less desirable handling characteristics. I've yet to ever see someone pushing an x5m through the corners.

Finally, I too thought the x5m was more than that, here. Also, consider that even if it starts 10k cheaper than the Trackhawk, it can easily surpass it too, in terms of options. At 110k for the trackhawk, you're getting a fully optioned vehicle. That's not the case the the x5m.

Finally finally, I'm willing to wager $20 that the trackhawk will hold its value way better than the x5m. The BMW is not sold in limited production numbers. However, how many people can say they have a 707hp SUV, right from the factory? People will pay a premium for that. And people with money who can afford it won't give a shit either. I'm willing to bet there are people in line for one of these.
I was speaking specifically about the 2016 X5M that my brothers friend owns. I don't recall making a blanket statement about the whole BMW brand. That X5M's interior was absolutely gorgeous, bright soft red leather seats and leather all over the doors and dashboard, real carbon fibre all over the place along with real aluminum trim. A massive navi screen and overall looked super expensive and luxurious. I don't remember if I stated it here but we rented a 2016 X5 base model for a week and while it was a ok quality interior from a materials stand point, I agree it was the most drab and boring interior I've sat in a long time and abaolutely did not scream luxury at all whatsoever. Actually it felt cheap because there was so much matte black grained material everywhere. It didn't really feel nice to the touch either to be honest. I would not buy a BMW based on the drab interiors either. The older generation X5's were FAR from luxurious so I agree that 2011 X5M does not scream luxury at all.

The laguna leather option only swaps out the partial suede seats for full leather saddle colored seats. I have seen it and it does absolutely nothing to the rest of the interior in terms of material quality. The only option that chamges material quality on the SRT and Summit trims is the new for 2017 full leather package (this I have yet to see). I like the standard GC SRT interior, but it is very easy to see where they cost cut and 80k it shouldn't be that easy. While I agree that it is an SUV and that obviously lends itself to inherent dynamic flaws, that doesn't stop the cayenne turbo S from driving amazingly well. What makes the GC the worst handling "super SUV" is that terrible weight balance, super heavy oldschool engine, and lack of active stability aids like the Germans have (I.E air suspension, active roll bars...etc.) instead all it has is those magneto shocks. Don't get me wrong, it still handles good for an SUV but it should be a lot better.

I thought about it more and I think you are correct. There will definitely be a lineup for this thing. It's a status symbol obviously and 110k is nothing to those that can afford it right. On top of that it is 707hp!!! Like holy hell I really didn't think much about that but damn!

Last edited by RDX10; 08-15-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:37 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by TacoBello

I pushed an x5m through the corners on a track That shit is fun and body roll isn't too bad. Hell, body roll on my RT isn't terrible and I push that shit through corners all the time.

I'll be a voice of dissent. I happen to like many gimme interiors. They were some of the best back in the day. Driver oriented cockpits. The Bangle days made them garbage...and they are finally becoming nice again. I like the interior of my wife's X3. Its clean and efficient...very German.

The x5m my friend and I beat the shit out of at the bmw performance center had the red interior and it was pretty gorgeous. My friend got his in long beach blue with amaro brown interior and it is quite tasty.

I will agree that Audi has some tremendous interior designs...but I feel those have been tapering off the last gens or two. And Mercedes? I find them to be the weakest. My friend jut had a rental C300 that I drove around a bit...did not like it at all, and it was not intuitive at all. At least with bmw, you can slowing figure out and make sense of their layout because its logical...Merc is a mess. And Jeep is the MOST intuitive and user friendly. And the Jeep's interior design is just clean and well laid out. Its not overdone, has just the right amount of buttons, and is functional while looking very nice.

Last edited by Sarlacc; 08-15-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

I pushed an x5m through the corners on a track That shit is fun and body roll isn't too bad. Hell, body roll on my RT isn't terrible and I push that shit through corners all the time.

I'll be a voice of dissent. I happen to like many gimme interiors. They were some of the best back in the day. Driver oriented cockpits. The Bangle days made them garbage...and they are finally becoming nice again. I like the interior of my wife's X3. Its clean and efficient...very German.

The x5m my friend and I beat the shit out of at the bmw performance center had the red interior and it was pretty gorgeous. My friend got his in long beach blue with amaro brown interior and it is quite tasty.

I will agree that Audi has some tremendous interior designs...but I feel those have been tapering off the last gens or two. And Mercedes? I find them to be the weakest. My friend jut had a rental C300 that I drove around a bit...did not like it at all, and it was not intuitive at all. At least with bmw, you can slowing figure out and make sense of their layout because its logical...Merc is a mess. And Jeep is the MOST intuitive and user friendly. And the Jeep's interior design is just clean and well laid out. Its not overdone, has just the right amount of buttons, and is functional while looking very nice.
I will give you that the Jeep's interior is BY FAR the most intuitive and easy to use. It also strikes me as the least likely to have electronic glitches and therefore I do think that it will outlast the German competition.

One thing I am curious about is that Jeep is doing a third facelift for 2017 when it should
have been a FMC. Is there any reason they are just doing another lift? Will we have to wait till 2020 for the next generation model? The other thing is that although the GC and Durango are using the old mercedes ML and GL platform, mercedes has been on a even newer platform since 2012 so effectively the GC is still using an over 10 year old platform. I think it would be wise for them to use a new more rigid and lighter platform in the next generation. Tipping the scales at 5k+ even in normal trims is really crazy.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by RDX10
I will give you that the Jeep's interior is BY FAR the most intuitive and easy to use. It also strikes me as the least likely to have electronic glitches and therefore I do think that it will outlast the German competition.

One thing I am curious about is that Jeep is doing a third facelift for 2017 when it should
have been a FMC. Is there any reason they are just doing another lift? Will we have to wait till 2020 for the next generation model? The other thing is that although the GC and Durango are using the old mercedes ML and GL platform, mercedes has been on a even newer platform since 2012 so effectively the GC is still using an over 10 year old platform. I think it would be wise for them to use a new more rigid and lighter platform in the next generation. Tipping the scales at 5k+ even in normal trims is really crazy.
Because there are zero signs of sales slowing down.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Because there are zero signs of sales slowing down.
Excellent point. I gotta admit they really hit a home run with this latest model and the changes in 2014 really took it over the top. I have zero problem calling it the American Range Rover....even if it's not nearly as nice inside.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:48 AM

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...elvio-platform

The departing gift Daimler gave to Chrysler Corporation was the premium platform that has underpinned the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango since the 2011 model year. That architecture has served those vehicles well, but it's time for new bones.

At the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles investor conference in Italy last Friday, Motor Authority asked company CEO Sergio Marchionne for clarification on what will underpin the next Grand Cherokee, and he confirmed it will be the platform used for the Alfa Romeo Stelvio SUV, as well as the Giulia sedan.

"It started originally off the Alfa architecture, which has now been modified and extended to reach both a two-row and a three-row Grand Cherokee," Marchionne said, noting that the platform has been adapted to reflect the requirements of Jeep.

Timing for the next-generation Grand Cherokee hasn't been announced, but Marchionne said the work for the platform at least has already been done. That could mean the next-generation vehicle will arrive sooner rather than later, perhaps in 2019 or 2020 instead of toward the end of Jeep's five-year plan.

Marchionne's comments may have also let another secret slip. The Jeep 2022 roadmap lists a next-gen Jeep Grand Cherokee as well as a three-row E-segment (mid-size) SUV. Based on Marchionne's comments, it appears that the three-row vehicle will be called Grand Cherokee as well.

From the product plan, we also know that the Grand Cherokee will be the first of the company's products to offer Level 2 self-driving capability. It may arrive in 2020, and it may be on this generation platform or the next. It should be able to brake, accelerate, steer, and change lanes on long highway drives, much like the Cadillac Super Cruise system. Level 3 self-driving technology will arrive by the end of 2021.

We're just reading the tea leaves, but it would make the most sense to add those technologies to the next-generation vehicle, so the timing could be 2020 either as a 2020 or 2021 model year vehicle.

The product plan also shows that the next Grand Cherokee will offer a plug-in hybrid powertrain, though Jeep didn't provide detailed information on that system.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:59 AM

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-the-helljeep/

It’s absurd.

That’s the word that kept flowing from pen to notepad as I tried to collect my thoughts on this 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. The thought of 707 supercharged horsepower in a midsized family SUV is nothing but absurd.

And yet, if you don’t mind getting friendly with both your neighborhood gas station owner and your local replacement tire shop over your ownership term, the Trackhawk is a compelling choice. Unless you relish anonymity.

Especially in bright red, the Trackhawk announces its presence with authority. I was constantly aware that I was wheeling a vehicle that would never blend into any background. While the standard Grand Cherokee is a familiar sight in mall parking lots everywhere, those demure cruisers don’t wear 10-inch-wide wheels wrapped in 295-section Pirelli performance tires. They don’t have bright yellow six-piston Brembo brake calipers shouting from the wheelwells.

And they certainly don’t have a supercharged Hemi V8 under the hood. Shared with the Hellcat models from Dodge, 707 horsepower makes this the fastest Jeep ever. I’ll admit, I’d love to have gotten this on a dragstrip to see what it can do when properly flogged, but Jeep quotes 11.6 seconds in the quarter-mile, and 3.5 seconds 0-60. With my Racelogic Driftbox, I was able to turn 3.4 seconds in the 0-60 run using launch control.

Yes, launch control. In an SUV. Absurd.

It took some driving to get the Trackhawk to a flat, straight, and most importantly deserted farm road so I could properly test that launch mode. A bit of manipulating of settings both on the console dial — TRACK MODE! — and on the center touchscreen would enable launch mode, and also enable my rear deep into the seat.

Driving into the hinterlands reminded me of one more inescapable fact — creating this much power takes bucketfuls of premium unleaded. The EPA estimate of 17 mpg on the highway may be achievable on a long enough cruise, but I struggled to keep the onboard calculator to approach the 13 mpg combined figure. With the hooning one would expect from a guy who is given this after a week in a subcompact economy car, I only managed 11.2 mpg over my test. Again, absurd.

Despite its prodigious thirst, the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk was reasonably docile when driven with restraint. While the exhaust note and supercharger whine are noticeable when hustling, the sound is restrained on start-up and when driving calmly through the neighborhood. I had no complaints from my wife or the neighbors when I started the Jeep each morning.

The ride was a bit harsh when encountering pavement that would better suit the trail-rated Jeeps, but was otherwise firm and controlled. It’s not a luxury cruiser, but neither will it punish you. It’s loud when cruising, however, as those steamroller Pirellis, the supercharger, the big frontal area, and the lope of the V8 combine into a cacophonous roar.

The seats are comfortable, though I could do without the Alcantara seat inserts. While comfy, they seem to soak up the sun’s rays and apply them directly to bare thighs. The ventilated (and heated, though I didn’t try the heat) seats do well, but the initial seating can be toasty.

The cargo space is a bit narrow — the subwoofer over the right rear wheel well seems to cut into the given area. While I fit coolers, chairs, and sports bags for a weekend of multiple sports tournaments, there wasn’t much extra room.

Similarly, the space in the second row was a bit tight. While the kids didn’t have their legs jammed into the rear of the front seats, it was close. Moving around like kids often do wasn’t as comfortable as in most similarly-sized crossovers. Changing from softball cleats to soccer cleats when racing at unmentionable speeds from one venue to another was a struggle for my eldest.

Otherwise, the Trackhawk worked well as a commuter. It’s not a track-specific beast that can’t handle the more banal parts of our driving, though it’s certainly one of the only SUVs I’d consider taking out on the track.

Perhaps the best example came on the first night I drove the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. I took the family out for pizza. As we filled our drinks, I noticed a young twenty-something man and his girlfriend get out of a spotless first-generation Chrysler 300. While my eye was drawn to the decade-old full-sizer that had inexplicably escaped the beater-and-massive rims fate that most of these have fallen to, I noticed the couple wander to the Jeep.

The youths walked around for several long moments, then came into the restaurant. His line as he opened the door will remain with me forever — “I don’t ever want to own an SUV, but if I had to, that’s the SUV I’d own.”

Finally, SUVs are as uncool to this generation as minivans are to mine, and wagons are to my parents.

So, excusing myself from the wife and kids, I invited the couple outside to take a closer look. I fired it up, and the young lady was visibly shaken by the HellJeep’s sound.

Once again, absurd.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:00 AM

Old 07-24-2018, 09:00 AM

Old 07-24-2018, 09:01 AM

I think I saw one of these a week or two ago near downtown Houston, though it looked like it had Hellcat badges. Made some quite nice sounds as it passed.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:56 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
I think I saw one of these a week or two ago near downtown Houston, though it looked like it had Hellcat badges. Made some quite nice sounds as it passed.
If it had Hellcat badges, it was a fake. The Trackhawk just has the Trackhawk badge on the rear hatch and "Supercharged" on each of the front doors. That's it. The only Hellcat badge is under the hood.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:13 AM

Definitely was making the right noises, could hear it over the stereo with the windows up.
IIRC, it maybe had a Hellcat badge on the hatch, but looking at the above photo(s), it did look like it had additional badging on the front doors. Maybe the replaced the Trailhawk looking hatch badge with the Hellcat. No idea, was going to opposite direction & I only got a quick look at it.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:22 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
I saw my first Trackhawk on Sunday and it sounded glorious! What a machine.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:49 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
I saw my first Trackhawk on Sunday and it sounded glorious! What a machine.
Oh they definitely sound amazing. The glorious sound of money being turned into noise.

Also, they get 11mpg in the city and 17mpg on the highway but who cares!
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 02:02 PM

$95k & 13mpg average. Still cheaper than an AMG G-wagen.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (07-25-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 10:34 AM

https://jalopnik.com/fca-to-open-a-n...d-a-1830917776

Just days after General Motors took many by surprise with an announcement that it might close a factory in Detroit, there’s some encouraging news in the Motor City: Fiat Chrysler is expected to open a new factory in the city, according to a report from The Detroit News. A source familiar with the plans confirmed the news to Jalopnik.

The News reports that FCA plans to revive the Mack Avenue Engine II factory, which has sat unused since 2012. When it’s up and running, the automaker plans to use it to build a new three-row Jeep Grand Cherokee for model year 2021, the newspaper said, citing multiple unnamed sources familiar with the plan.

The move could add at least 100 and up to 400 jobs in the city.

The renovated Mack Avenue facility would be the first new auto assembly line to open in Detroit in 27 years, potentially cushioning the blow of General Motors Co.’s plans to stop production of four sedans at its Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant by June 1. FCA’s plans are the latest move by automakers in the waning days of the year before Detroit’s automakers renegotiate their contracts next year with the United Auto Workers.
FCA wouldn’t comment to the News, and a spokesperson told Jalopnik the same, when reached by phone Wednesday.

When the Mack II plant starts production, the News reported that FCA would then retool the Jefferson North Assembly Plant across the street to facilitate production of two- and three-row Grand Cherokees. A public announcement is anticipated sometime next week, according to the report.

If the plant comes online, the News noted, it would mark the first new automotive assembly plant to open in Detroit in 27 years.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:05 AM

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...onfirmed-2021/

The Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't really need to be replaced. This luxury-SUV stalwart is as handsome and pleasant a vehicle to drive as anything in FCA's lineup. But this generation came out in 2010; that's an eternity in the modern SUV world. The current version is so old that its Mercedes-Benz-based underpinnings date back to the DaimlerChrysler days. Still, Jeep managed to sell more than 242,000 of them in the U.S. in 2019. That's not just the best year of the WG2 generation's nine-year run, it's the best annual sales for the nameplate since 2000.

But change must come to all things, even the good ones. And so, late this year, Jeep will launch an entirely new Grand Cherokee. It likely won't make it into buyers' hands until early next year. What those new owners will get is a Jeep based on a version of the Alfa Romeo Giorgio platform found under the Giulia sedan and Stelvio SUV. The Grand Cherokee will be significantly longer than the trim little Stelvio, though. Not only will the Jeep's wheelbase surpass the Alfa's 110.9 inches, we expect it to be longer than the current Grand Cherokee's 114.7 inches. So it's a good bet that the new ute will be roomier than the outgoing model.

It will launch as a two-row SUV like all previous Grand Cherokees; sometime down the line, Jeep will offer it with a third row as well. A three-row Wagoneer is also planned, but that vehicle will be much larger and use body-on-frame construction, so there shouldn't be much overlap between them.

We anticipate a turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four, likely with hybridization, to become the Jeep's base engine. Surely we'll also see a Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6 with eTorque assist in the engine bay. Later, the brand will introduce a plug-in hybrid, too. Might the Grand Cherokee also get the diesel offered in the Wrangler and Ram 1500? Quite possibly. Could it also host a Hemi, maybe even a Hellcat like the Trackhawk does? We don't see FCA walking away from its Hellcat-everything strategy anytime soon.

Like the current model, the new Grand Cherokee will be offered as rear-, all-, and four-wheel-drive versions, and because this is Jeep we're talking about, a Trailhawk off-road-capable edition is certain to be in the mix. Since the vehicle will still have "Grand" in its name, the interior details should be a step above those of your average Jeep. And because such things are considered progress, digital screens will replace the analog gauges and a rotary knob will take the place of a conventional shifter.

The outgoing Grand Cherokee owes its enduring appeal to the substantive engineering beneath the leather and behind the screens. Here's hoping that substance carries through in this wholesale redesign of a market favorite on a different architecture.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:07 AM

Browsing a bit yesterday, the High Altitude & Limited X are a good looking JGC, but at the sticker price.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Browsing a bit yesterday, the High Altitude & Limited X are a good looking JGC, but at the sticker price.
The thing with FCA is that sticker price is some random number they pulled out of nowhere. There are always huge discounts on all the "normal" cars, not necessarily the SRT/Hellcat/Trackhawk models though those are even discounted quite a lot lately.

Looks like the Limited X can be had for high 30's and High Altitude for low 40's all day which is ~$10k off MSRP.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:29 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/437598/2...nterior-spied/

There’s a strong dose of Mercedes S-Class in those screens.

The 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee will get a very modern interior design if recent spy photos are to be believed. Our source was able to get close enough to the heavily camouflaged test mule to snap a pretty clear photo of the cockpit of Jeep’s upcoming midsize SUV, and there’s lots of technology on display.

Most obviously, there’s a massive, slanted touchscreen mounted high on the dash. Mounted horizontally and not vertically, the screen looks like it’s at least 12 inches across. It also appears to take some inspiration from the upcoming Mercedes-Benz S-Class, though we’re sure the resemblance is coincidental since the companies are no longer linked in any way. The high, wide touchscreen should be easier to use with less distraction than FCA’s Uconnect 12 offering, the mostly excellent 12.0-inch vertical screen found in some versions of the Ram 1500.

On the Grand Cherokee (now believed to be delayed until the 2022 model year), we can also see some clearly marked hard buttons below the infotainment display, as well as a row of toggle switches up high on the dashboard. The presence of physical buttons bodes well for ergonomics. The center console houses FCA’s now-familiar rotary shift dial, and we’d expect to see some off-road controls in the same location on production models.

Styling-wise, the interior of the 2022 Grand Cherokee is a rather attractive evolution of the current SUV’s cabin. There’s still a slight wing shape to the dashboard fascia, but the larger touchscreen display and new digital instrument cluster modernize the look significantly. Wide HVAC outlets on the top of the dash look sophisticated, as do the matte-finish wood panels spreading out from the infotainment system. To our eyes, there’s also a very slight callback to the first-generation Grand Cherokee, with a mostly flat dash top that gives way to a bulging instrument cluster.

The 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee will reportedly use FCA’s Giorgio platform, shared with the Alfa Romeo Giulia sedan and Stelvio SUV. However, expect the Grand to boast significant hardware upgrades to elevate its off-road performance to a level befitting a Jeep. Permanent four-wheel drive will likely benefit from a low-range transfer case, and there should be sophisticated traction and suspension technology to help it earn a “Trail Rated” badge.

The Jeep SUV’s debut date is a mystery, but we expect to see it in November, coinciding with the not-yet-cancelled 2020 Los Angeles Auto Show. Expect the 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee to hit dealers next summer.

Old 01-07-2021, 01:07 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
This is a big year for Jeep SUVs, and we mean that quite literally. Not only is it launching a full-size SUV in the form of the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer, the Grand Cherokee midsize SUV is being completely redesigned and expanded, both in model offerings and physical size. That comes courtesy of the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L, a lengthened version of the upcoming SUV that comes with a third row of seats, a first for the model.

This new Grand Cherokee L, and the two-row version that will follow later this year, are built on a completely new platform not used by any current product, nor the upcoming Wagoneer's full-size, truck-based platform. As with every Grand Cherokee before it, it has a unibody chassis. About 60% of it is composed of high-strength steel, and aluminum is used for the hood, hatch, shock towers and front subframe, all of which is to help keep weight down.

Multi-link independent suspension is used at all four corners, and adjustable air suspension is available. With the standard suspension, ground clearance is 8.5 inches with approach, breakover and departure angles of 20.6, 18.2 and 21.5 degrees, respectively. The air suspension's standard ride height is slightly lower at 8.3 inches, but it can be raised to 10.9 inches in the highest off-road mode. When raised to this height, the approach, breakover and departure angles are 30.1, 22.6 and 23.6 degrees respectively for the more off-road friendly Overland trim. The top-level Summit trim has a slightly worse approach angle of 28.2 degrees because of a different front bumper. The air suspension has also been revised to lower more quickly by lowering both ends simultaneously, rather than one at a time.

Powering the Grand Cherokee L will be a choice of familiar engines. The base one is the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 making 290 horsepower and 257 pound-feet of torque. The optional 5.7-liter V8 makes 357 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque. Towing capacity for the V6 is 6,200 pounds, and the V8 can handle 7,200 pounds. Both come with an eight-speed automatic. Three four-wheel-drive systems are available. The base version is a single-speed automatic system called Quadra-Trac I. Quadra-Trac II is also automatic system but it adds a low-range gear set. Quadra-Drive II adds an electronically controlled limited-slip rear differential. All the Grand Cherokee's four-wheel-drive systems can disconnect the front axle automatically when not needed to boost fuel economy. A 4xe hybrid model will be available later this year.

Inside, the big news is of course that the Grand Cherokee L has three rows of seats. The second row can be had as either a bench or as buckets for carrying either seven or six people. The dash design is quite similar to that of the Wagoneer, though with fewer screens. The screens remaining are still impressive, with a 10.25-inch instrument display and 10.1-inch infotainment screen as standard on all Grand Cherokee L models. A 10-inch head-up display is available as an option. The instrument panel is highly customizable and can display navigation, off-road data and even the feed from a night vision camera. The infotainment system uses the latest UConnect 5 software. In addition to the metal dash accents, the Grand Cherokee L can be further spruced up with real wood and leather trim, and a McIntosh sound system that features a menu with the brand's signature green and blue logo and VU needles.

The three-row Grand Cherokee L will enter production soon, and will be on sale in the second quarter of this year. The two-row and hybrid models will start production later this year with sales starting soon after. Four trim levels are available for the Grand Cherokee L. Laredo is the base trim followed by Limited, Overland and Summit. Overland is available with an Off-Road Group package that adds Quadra-Drive II, skid plates, 18-inch wheels with all-season tires. Jeep made no mention of Trailhawk, SRT or Trackhawk versions of the L. We suspect that the two-row Grand Cherokee, which will likely have a shorter wheelbase and thus better breakover angle capability, will be the only trim to get a Trailhawk trim. Jeep is also probably saving any SRT models for a year or two into the new Grand Cherokee's model cycle. Pricing hasn't been announced yet, but should be revealed close to the on-sale date.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L has new platform, third row of seats | Autoblog
Old 01-07-2021, 01:10 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts

Quick Reply: Jeep: Grand Cherokee News