Jeep: Compass News

Old 01-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
looks like a plumpy Liberty
Old 01-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For some reason to me it just looks more like a Hyundai/Kia Jeep knockoff then a real Jeep.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Safety Car

Not liking it, caliber looks better imo.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
those have to be the absolute fugliest front turn signal lights ever made in the history of automobiles. god...
Old 01-11-2006, 04:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
those have to be the absolute fugliest front turn signal lights ever made in the history of automobiles. god...
...and the entire rest of the jeep is not far behind
Old 01-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
...and the entire rest of the jeep is not far behind
yea... I'm just scratching the surface.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:32 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
MDX+Liberty=Compass
Old 03-01-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 5,289 Likes on 3,623 Posts
Thread
Jeep Compass review: Jeep's best small SUV | Top Gear

What is this?

This is something we’ve been waiting on for ages – a replacement for the truly abysmal old Jeep Compass. We like to say that there aren’t any bad cars made today, but that proved us all wrong. It didn’t really warrant wearing the hallowed Jeep badge, so is best forgotten as quickly as possible.

This new one didn’t need to be much better to be impressive then?

No, it didn’t. But thankfully it is. Way better. Based on the same platform as the new Renegade (known internally as the Small Wide 4x4), just stretched a few inches, this mini Grand Cherokee – available in front-wheel drive and multi-mode 4x4 versions – looks right and goes right, straight out of the gate.

What drivetrain is it using?

This is just the first salvo in what will be a global invasion of different variants. The new Compass is being built in four different locations – China, Mexico, Brazil and India – and will feature no fewer than 17 different powertrain options.

In the US it gets, initially at least, just the 180bhp 2.4-litre ‘Tigershark’ four-cylinder petrol mated to a six- or nine-speed automatic, or a six-speed manual. In the UK, it will also be available with 1.6 and 2.0-litre diesel engines.

How does it drive?

Leaps and bounds better than the outgoing car. With just 180bhp driving 1,540kg through an auto gearbox, it’s a long way from offering scorching performance. But it’s more than ample for the type of use this car will get on and off-road.

The nine-speed auto feels a lot better sorted than in the last Cherokee we drove with the same gearbox, being both smoother in action and less frenetic. The six-speed was fine, too. There weren’t any manuals present so we can’t comment on those yet.

The handling is on the soft side, but compliant and secure enough to mop up jumps and hard cornering without complaining.

What about off-road?

There is a huge difference in the off-road abilities of this second gen Compass. Where the original car would hardly climb a kerb without grinding some of the undercarriage, this new model is now properly capable of scaling and descending impossible looking off-road obstacles.

Just like any vehicle wearing the Jeep badge should, then. For serious off-road types, there’s a Trailhawk model (below), complete with tow hooks, stickier tyres and one-inch higher ride height.

And the interior?

Huge win here for the new car. Following the design language of the Grand Cherokee, the new Compass now has a class-competitive interior. Everything you use on a regular basis is functionally and visually sound.

The standout feature is the new U-Connect control system and Beats hi-fi. The first is still the best in the business and the second is appreciably better in volume and quality than we were expecting.

OK, so it’s either the Compass, the Renegade or the Cherokee. Which one should I buy?

Good question. In terms of all round practicality, the Compass probably wins. It has the biggest boot, is the best looking, we’d say, and has sufficient performance for the segment.

The Renegade only makes more sense if you don’t carry stuff and want a shorter car for parking reasons. And the only real cause to get the Cherokee is its greater variety of engines and specs. Or if you actually like the way it looks.

When can we expect to see them in dealers?

The US cars will be joining the line-up in the next couple of months, alongside the outgoing Compass – and the Patriot – which remains in the range while production of the new car spools up.

The UK-bound cars are being produced in India and won’t be landing until the third or fourth quarter of this year. The wait, though, should be worthwhile.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:54 AM

Old 03-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Mini-GC, and available with a manual trans (likely FWD only, I'd guess) Looks great!
Old 03-01-2017, 02:53 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
That looks good! Besides the whole funky window trim that goes all the way around the rear. It looks much better in silver.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
I like the redesign a lot, I think it looks very sharp. However I really really dislike 2 HUGE things. The first being that it weighs 4000 POUNDS! For a car in it's size class (sub-compact-ish) it is supposed to be around 3000-3200 pounds. The second major issue is the shitty engine it comes with, the same garbage 2.4l they have had forever (supposedly created in 2014 but it's the same as the one from 2007). 175hp is not going to move that much weight with that shape very easily. I'm seeing 0-60 times of 9.5s on some websites. That's atrocious IMHO.

Either give it a more powerful engine, or shave off a few hundred pounds.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:21 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Mini-GC, and available with a manual trans (likely FWD only, I'd guess) Looks great!
I believe I read elsewhere that 4x4 will have manual as well, but I could be wrong.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,820 Likes on 3,844 Posts
Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
That looks good! Besides the whole funky window trim that goes all the way around the rear. It looks much better in silver.
It looks a lot better when that strip is blacked out instead of in chrome. Jeep needs to back the F off of chrome everything like they've been doing for a while.

Originally Posted by RDX10
I like the redesign a lot, I think it looks very sharp. However I really really dislike 2 HUGE things. The first being that it weighs 4000 POUNDS! For a car in it's size class (sub-compact-ish) it is supposed to be around 3000-3200 pounds. The second major issue is the shitty engine it comes with, the same garbage 2.4l they have had forever (supposedly created in 2014 but it's the same as the one from 2007). 175hp is not going to move that much weight with that shape very easily. I'm seeing 0-60 times of 9.5s on some websites. That's atrocious IMHO.

Either give it a more powerful engine, or shave off a few hundred pounds.
First of all cars these days are HEAVY. 3000lbs isn't going to happen for a crossover. Second of all, where are you getting a weight of 4000lbs? Even the Wrangler doesn't weigh that much. The Compass is ~3300lbs-3400lbs depending on trim. The CRV tips in at 3500lbs and the RAV4 comes in at 3600lbs. The engine isn't the right choice though, agreed on that one. While it's fine for a crossover for driving to the mall or out to dinner, if you take this thing off road...hope you don't get much in the way of steep inclines. The issues will come up in the TH models where the 2.4L in the Renegade was super anemic when off road so I can't imagine this will be at all better. The Cherokee TH can be had with the same 4 banger but that one comes with a real, actual low range gear to get you the torque you need to keep going. The Compass and Renegade don't have real low range, they just stay in 1st gear for longer so that's where the issues will be.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I believe I read elsewhere that 4x4 will have manual as well, but I could be wrong.
Yes but not in TH trim. It looks sharp though, I wish they had gone with this sort of look for the Cherokee...
Old 03-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
In any case, I hope the JL Wrangler gets an interior treatment somewhat like the recent Jeeps have been getting. Rumors are also speculating that the JL will get a turbo 4-cyl and 8AT (ZF )

Turbo 4-cyl in a Wrangler seems underpowered, but if it gets substantially lighter... the 4-cyl turbo would be better for the Compass and Renegade.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
First of all cars these days are HEAVY. 3000lbs isn't going to happen for a crossover. Second of all, where are you getting a weight of 4000lbs? Even the Wrangler doesn't weigh that much. The Compass is ~3300lbs-3400lbs depending on trim. The CRV tips in at 3500lbs and the RAV4 comes in at 3600lbs. The engine isn't the right choice though, agreed on that one. While it's fine for a crossover for driving to the mall or out to dinner, if you take this thing off road...hope you don't get much in the way of steep inclines. The issues will come up in the TH models where the 2.4L in the Renegade was super anemic when off road so I can't imagine this will be at all better. The Cherokee TH can be had with the same 4 banger but that one comes with a real, actual low range gear to get you the torque you need to keep going. The Compass and Renegade don't have real low range, they just stay in 1st gear for longer so that's where the issues will be.
Saying all cars are heavy these days is not a valid argument as to why this one is almost 500-1000 pounds heavier than it should be. I am getting my information from Alex on Autos, he did a full on review about a week ago and he is VERY thorough and VERY accurate with his information so I trust him that it weighs 4000 pounds. This is SMALLER THAN THE RAV4, AND CRV by a whole size class.You just proved my point by saying how light those other two weigh because even if it was the same size of those 2, it is still nearly 500 pounds too heavy. The Rav4 and CRV are around 180-182 inches long, the new compass is only 173 inches long (so in line with the tucson and close to the HRV and CX3 which weigh 3500, 3100, and 2950 pounds respectively. I bolded the ones near 3000 to prove it's doable for an SUV in that size class. In the event Alex is wrong (Happens never) then my only issue is the engine.

Glad we can agree on that anemic engine choice, How disappointing that they went through all that work to make something that actually looks really good only to ruin it by sticking a POS engine in. They really should consider putting that 3.2l tigershark (pentastar?) engine in, or even make a smaller 2.8l version and stick it in.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:07 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts

Glad we can agree on that anemic engine choice, How disappointing that they went through all that work to make something that actually looks really good only to ruin it by sticking a POS engine in. They really should consider putting that 3.2l tigershark (pentastar?) engine in, or even make a smaller 2.8l version and stick it in.
The 3.2L is a pentastar engine, derived from the 3.6. Its a great engine for the Cherokee.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
The 3.2L is a pentastar engine, derived from the 3.6. Its a great engine for the Cherokee.
Thanks for the clarification Sarlaac. I knew the 3.2 was derived from the 3.6, I just wasn't sure if it was still called pentastar or tigershark. I think the 2.4l is tiger shark. I really like that 3.2l engine, makes a healthy 270ish hp from a fairly decent size engine. I wonder if it shares the block with the 3.6l or not. If it does, I wonder why they never just used it in the cherokee instead of downsizing.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:30 AM
Cruisin'

The redesign looks great. It was smart to replace the old Patriot and Compass with one vehicle that looked a lot more "Jeep-ish".
Old 03-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Costco
In any case, I hope the JL Wrangler gets an interior treatment somewhat like the recent Jeeps have been getting. Rumors are also speculating that the JL will get a turbo 4-cyl and 8AT (ZF )

Turbo 4-cyl in a Wrangler seems underpowered, but if it gets substantially lighter... the 4-cyl turbo would be better for the Compass and Renegade.
When it comes to a Wrangler or any off road model it's about torque, not horsepower. One thing a turbo 4 will generate is tons of torque at low revs and that's ideal, especially so when paired with a low range gear. A Wrangler is not fast even in V6 form so having the torque advantage of the turbo 4 is huge. A diesel would be even better and is rumored to be coming in the JL model though probably at a pretty steep price.

Saying all cars are heavy these days is not a valid argument as to why this one is almost 500-1000 pounds heavier than it should be. I am getting my information from Alex on Autos, he did a full on review about a week ago and he is VERY thorough and VERY accurate with his information so I trust him that it weighs 4000 pounds. This is SMALLER THAN THE RAV4, AND CRV by a whole size class.You just proved my point by saying how light those other two weigh because even if it was the same size of those 2, it is still nearly 500 pounds too heavy. The Rav4 and CRV are around 180-182 inches long, the new compass is only 173 inches long (so in line with the tucson and close to the HRV and CX3 which weigh 3500, 3100, and 2950 pounds respectively. I bolded the ones near 3000 to prove it's doable for an SUV in that size class. In the event Alex is wrong (Happens never) then my only issue is the engine.

I guess I never realized that it competed with the smaller ones, I always put those in competition with the Renegade since the Compass is bigger than the HRV and stuff. In any case, Jeep's website puts the Compass 4x4 at 3300lbs and the Trailhawk at 3600lbs so I'd trust them quite a lot more than a review site. Jeeps have always been heavier than the competition because of the drivetrains being heavier and more robust. Especially so on the off road models that also have the underbody armor.

Thanks for the clarification Sarlaac. I knew the 3.2 was derived from the 3.6, I just wasn't sure if it was still called pentastar or tigershark. I think the 2.4l is tiger shark. I really like that 3.2l engine, makes a healthy 270ish hp from a fairly decent size engine. I wonder if it shares the block with the 3.6l or not. If it does, I wonder why they never just used it in the cherokee instead of downsizing.
I don't think it shares the same block, just the same architecture. The 3.2 barely fits in the Cherokee to begin with, I'm pretty sure it has everything to do with what would fit in the engine bay as it would likely have been cheaper to just drop in the 3.6 if possible. That said, I doubt the 3.2 would fit in the Compass though I've never seen the engine bay. It's so tight in the Cherokee that you can't even fit a winch control box inside the hood without it hitting the radiator. Has to be externally or remote mounted.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-02-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

When it comes to a Wrangler or any off road model it's about torque, not horsepower. One thing a turbo 4 will generate is tons of torque at low revs and that's ideal, especially so when paired with a low range gear. A Wrangler is not fast even in V6 form so having the torque advantage of the turbo 4 is huge. A diesel would be even better and is rumored to be coming in the JL model though probably at a pretty steep price.

I guess I never realized that it competed with the smaller ones, I always put those in competition with the Renegade since the Compass is bigger than the HRV and stuff. In any case, Jeep's website puts the Compass 4x4 at 3300lbs and the Trailhawk at 3600lbs so I'd trust them quite a lot more than a review site. Jeeps have always been heavier than the competition because of the drivetrains being heavier and more robust. Especially so on the off road models that also have the underbody armor.

I don't think it shares the same block, just the same architecture. The 3.2 barely fits in the Cherokee to begin with, I'm pretty sure it has everything to do with what would fit in the engine bay as it would likely have been cheaper to just drop in the 3.6 if possible. That said, I doubt the 3.2 would fit in the Compass though I've never seen the engine bay. It's so tight in the Cherokee that you can't even fit a winch control box inside the hood without it hitting the radiator. Has to be externally or remote mounted.
So I just checked alpar and according to them th compass weighs a maximum of 3650 in trailbawk trim which is understandable with the skid plates and other stuff. Here is the source:

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/compass.html

I guess Alex was wrong after all, what I get for putting all my eggs in one basket!

Thanks for the info on the engine, I hope they either bring in a small 2.0l diesel or turbo charge that 2.4l for some MUCH needed torque. Hell the renegade comes with a turbo engine. That torque will be very much appreciated!
Old 03-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Ex-OEM King

So I just checked alpar and according to them th compass weighs a maximum of 3650 in trailbawk trim which is understandable with the skid plates and other stuff. Here is the source:

2018 Jeep Compass: here it is!

I guess Alex was wrong after all, what I get for putting all my eggs in one basket!

Thanks for the info on the engine, I hope they either bring in a small 2.0l diesel or turbo charge that 2.4l for some MUCH needed torque. Hell the renegade comes with a turbo engine. That torque will be very much appreciated!
The 1.4L turbo in the Renegade is a joke. I'd rather have the 2.4L over that POS. The Renegade is absolutely too heavy for what it is, especially so in TH trim. I rode the trails with a couple and they definitely get wheezy when going up steep inclines...even more so in higher altitudes. The 4 cylinder Cherokee is fine because they have a real low range and not just a "hold the first gear" program.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:29 PM

Look on the configurator. 6MT only currently showing on the Sport & Latitude models. TH & Limited, 9AT.
Loaded up, the TH shows a $36k. Compared to $51k for its GC TH diesel big brother.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I agree with you, but power is important too. Ain't easy getting to those trails hundreds of miles away uphill or into headwinds, especially when you have an extra 200-500+ lbs of weight. The 8AT will help a lot, but going up grades just sucks with an underpowered rig. My preference is a turbo V6. Those jerks with V8 Land Cruisers like to hit 85-90 on the highway

Either way, the good thing about turbos is how responsive they are to tunes.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Costco
I agree with you, but power is important too. Ain't easy getting to those trails hundreds of miles away uphill or into headwinds, especially when you have an extra 200-500+ lbs of weight. The 8AT will help a lot, but going up grades just sucks with an underpowered rig. My preference is a turbo V6. Those jerks with V8 Land Cruisers like to hit 85-90 on the highway

Either way, the good thing about turbos is how responsive they are to tunes.
Eh, a turbo 4 is probably going to be nearly as or more powerful than the outgoing V6 so I'm not sure it would make all that much of a benefit. Also, a Wrangler already sucks when doing long road drives as it is. Pretty much driving a barn through the wind, the engine power is the least of your concerns lol.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:07 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Look on the configurator. 6MT only currently showing on the Sport & Latitude models. TH & Limited, 9AT.
Loaded up, the TH shows a $36k. Compared to $51k for its GC TH diesel big brother.
And about $42k for a loaded out Cherokee TH... If you take the diesel off, the gap is ~$6k-$8k between each trim when decked out.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:48 PM

^
I like the looks of the Compass TH & GC TH a bit more than the Cherokee TH.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Ex-OEM King

I don't disagree at all but the Cherokee looks a lot better in person than in pics and overall doesn't look bad in my biased opinion. It is, however, quite comfortable, luxurious, well featured, efficient, and enormously off road capable compared to a lot of other competitors. Oh and it can tow quite a lot for its size too. It all goes down to what is the right tool for the job you have at hand. This Compass will sell exceptionally well.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

The 1.4L turbo in the Renegade is a joke. I'd rather have the 2.4L over that POS. The Renegade is absolutely too heavy for what it is, especially so in TH trim. I rode the trails with a couple and they definitely get wheezy when going up steep inclines...even more so in higher altitudes. The 4 cylinder Cherokee is fine because they have a real low range and not just a "hold the first gear" program.
No I agree completely, that 1.4 is a POS and that renegade is entirely too heavy. I just meant that they need to put in something with a turbo in the compass as the 2.4l simply isn't enough. Not that they should put that 1.4l in the compass.

Aside from the poor engine choices in some models, I am loving Jeep's design language VERY much. I almost don't know what they could do to fix up the current GC to be honest except for maybe losing 500 pounds through aluminum.

Why is it that thy can't put in a true low range in the compass? What prevents this?

Oh and one other thing, I absolutely agree about the 4500 pound tow capacity for the cherokee being amazing for that size class. It's very respectable.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:28 AM

I don't disagree at all but the Cherokee looks a lot better in person than in pics and overall doesn't look bad in my biased opinion. It is, however, quite comfortable, luxurious, well featured, efficient, and enormously off road capable compared to a lot of other competitors. Oh and it can tow quite a lot for its size too. It all goes down to what is the right tool for the job you have at hand. This Compass will sell exceptionally well.
Agreed, I actually like the Cherokee, just too small for our needs & I highly doubt my wife would like it; if we replace her Flex, it'll be with another, since the only other SUV she wants is a Range Rover . I think this mini-GC will do quite well, though; a huge improvement over the prior Compass.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Ex-OEM King

No I agree completely, that 1.4 is a POS and that renegade is entirely too heavy. I just meant that they need to put in something with a turbo in the compass as the 2.4l simply isn't enough. Not that they should put that 1.4l in the compass.

Aside from the poor engine choices in some models, I am loving Jeep's design language VERY much. I almost don't know what they could do to fix up the current GC to be honest except for maybe losing 500 pounds through aluminum.

Why is it that thy can't put in a true low range in the compass? What prevents this?

Oh and one other thing, I absolutely agree about the 4500 pound tow capacity for the cherokee being amazing for that size class. It's very respectable.
Probably a combination of space, cost, weight, and the fact that no one would ever actually use it lol. Having a real low range requires a transfer case in addition to the transmission which eats up space and weight in addition to adding more drivetrain losses even in normal modes.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:03 AM

https://jalopnik.com/jeeps-first-hyb...mil-1844446970

Earlier this year at the CES show, Jeep showed off a range of upcoming plug-in hybrid models, including the Wrangler. The first of those Jeeps badged ‘four by e’—namely the Renegade 4Xe and the Compass 4Xe,—are now available to order in mainland Europe. Both models offer up to 240 horsepower, and an average of 31 miles per charge in EV-only mode. Jeep says the 4Xe models are significantly more capable off-road than their gasoline-only counterparts.

The Compass and Renegade benefit from the same
traditional 1.3-liter turbocharged gasoline 4-cylinder engine up front, which is available in either 130 or 180 horsepower trim. That engine only powers the front wheels. In order to get the Jeep-standard four-driven-wheels, the 4Xe employs arear-axle-mounted electric motor to provide 60 horsepower. The rear axle is quoted at around 185 lb-ft of torque, while the front axle produces an even 200 lb-ft.

It also appears that the 4Xe models will have a mild belted alternator starter motor on the front axle which doesn’t add any quoted power, but should assist with steady-state cruising and light throttle acceleration. This type of system is best described as a large alternator, and acts as a front-axle high-voltage generator. This is how Jeep describes it, “T
he [electric motor] on the front axle, is connected to the internal combustion engine and, in addition to operating in synergy with it, it can act as a high voltage generator if necessary.”

The electric drivetrain is not connected to the ICE drivetrain, this
configuration is known as “through-the-road series hybrid”. Thanks to an 11.4 kWh battery, Jeep claims either model can drive in electric-only mode up to 31 miles per charge. This battery is held in a protective case under the rear seats. Because of this position, Jeep claims the rear cargo capacities of both models remain largely unchanged, and the spare tire is still mounted under the rear cargo where it is in the ICE versions of these Jeeps.

FCA have deemed Europe as the ideal place to launch this new PHEV line of Jeep models. The reasoning behind this is threefold,
because it desperately needs a reduced corporate emissions average, because the vehicles are built at the Lucano plant in Italy, and because Europeans are serious about jumping on the electrified vehicles train.

In keeping
with the rest of the European Renegade and Compass lineups, the 4Xe versions will be available in Limited, S, and Trailhawk trims. If you want something more upscale (for a Jeep anyway), Compass buyers can select the Business trim. Unlike the gasoline-only version, however, the 4Xe will all be four-wheel drive with Jeep’s new eAWD system and 6-speed automatic transmissions.

An interesting new mode found in the Jeep 4Xe models is “E-Save”, which is particularly important for European markets. This allows the driver to charge the Jeep overnight and drive only on the gasoline engine in order to preserve the electric range of the vehicle. There are many European cities, London for example, which charge an extra fee for any vehicles not running on electric power. You could theoretically plan a journey to London, arrive with a full battery, and putter around the city on full EV without paying the full congestion tax.

Within E-Save mode, you can choose to maintain the level of battery you have, or you can select a level of battery that you would like to recharge up to through regenerative braking or the BAS motor on the front axle. This is an interesting and versatile way of thinking that I hope makes it to all PHEV models in the future.

While I don’t know a lot of Renegade or Compass owners who typically go off-roading, the new 4Xe versions
look quite capable off-road. The Trailhawk 4Xe for example, has about 50 percent more available torque than even the turbodiesel version does. And with a completely detached front and rear axle, the two ends of the car can act independently from each other, allowing more management of where the torque is delivered. Add this to Jeep’s Selec-Terrain traction control system and “locking” 4WD, and it’s plausible the 4Xe could go farther into the great outdoors while causing less damage to the environment from emissions.

We don’t yet know if these specs will carry over when the Compass 4Xe and Renegade 4Xe find their way to the U.S. market, or what the official range numbers will be when these hit the EPA test, or how much the damn thing will cost, but as soon as we know, we’ll make sure you know.

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (07-21-2020)
Old 03-04-2021, 09:31 PM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
During the 2018 Capital Markets Day conference at the Balocco circuit, the Jeep brand confirmed that a mid-cycle refresh is coming to the Compass by 2022. Already presented in China last November, the facelift will also spawn a seven-seat variant that may be called Grand Compass.

19 photos

Spied testing in Sweden with series-production components such as the LED daytime running lights and seven-slot grille, the three-row crossover is pictured with make-do taillights and camouflage on every body panel except for the roof. The SUV manufacturer has also masked the D-pillars and rear-quarter windows from prying eyes, but Jeep isn’t fooling anyone.

The space behind the second row of seats and the long wheelbase are the most telling differences over the Compass, but that’s not all. Rumors suggest that front- and rear-fascia styling changes warrant a different name for the Grand Compass although this reasoning does not hold much water.

For the European market, the family-sized utility vehicle is expected with four powertrain options at the least. A 1.3-liter turbo - a.k.a. Global Small Engine and FireFly - should open the list with 130 and 150 metric horsepower. Two diesels with 1.6- and 2.0-liter displacements are on the menu as well, along with a plug-in hybrid based on the 1.3-liter powerplant.

4xe is how Jeep calls plug-in hybrids, and in the case of the Compass, 4xe stands for 190 or 240 metric horsepower. Instead of a prop shaft, the rear axle is driven by an electric motor when all-wheel drive is needed or in EV Mode. Thanks to an 11.4-kWh battery, the Compass 4xe is capable of traveling 50 kilometers (31 miles) without spewing CO2 emissions.

To be revealed in the second half of 2021 for the 2022 model year, the seven-seat version will offer a 10.1-inch touchscreen for the infotainment system and a 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster. It remains to be seen if Jeep can make a case for the Trailhawk, but nevertheless, the introduction of the Grand Compass will help the automaker’s sales volume in Europe.
2022 Jeep Grand Compass Seven-Seat SUV Photographed With Makeshift Taillights - autoevolution
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (03-04-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 08:40 AM

Curious how long the Compass & Cherokee can sell side-by-side. At a quick glance, they look very similar now.
Maybe the redesign on the Compass & possible Grand Compass takes over & allows Stellantis to drop the Cherokee altogether.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:07 AM
Ex-OEM King

The Compass is a lot smaller/cheaper than a Cherokee so I'm guessing they'll keep going for a while.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:50 AM

Unless:
Compass = Compass
Grand Compass = Cherokee replacement
Old 04-07-2021, 08:42 AM

2021 80th Anniversary

https://www.netcarshow.com/jeep/2021...h_anniversary/

The New Jeep Compass has been developed to speak a more European language, courtesy of the enhanced quality of the finishes and its advanced on board technology. It also introduces major new features that take it to an even higher level in terms of design, safety, technology and functionality.

Where does its secret lie? In combining two souls of Jeep - the off-road and urban spirit - to meet the needs of customers in the C-SUV segment. Rational, factual people, they are also fascinated by the possibility of getting away from their daily routines: we call them "pragmatic dreamers".

The new model has a strong aesthetic character, enhanced by a refined and distinctive style - which remains true to the brand's styling cues, excellent driving dynamics and more sophisticated safety and connectivity. All this crowned by the renowned Jeep 4x4 capability, a feature honed over 80 years of leadership in off-road driving.

In short, whether concerned with a pragmatic need for mobility or the desire to experience exciting everyday 'adventures', the answer lies in the New Compass, which offers a balance between performance and emotions, rational usage and dreams of freedom and adventure. All in the name of the brand's claim: "Go Anywhere, Do Anything". Because, 80 years later, Jeep remains Jeep.

At the launch of its first generation in 2017, the Jeep Compass marked the return of the brand to the C-SUV segment and was the first Jeep specially designed to hit global roads. This laid solid foundations for the success of this model: since its launch in Europe, the Jeep compact SUV is the driver of the brand's commercial performance and accounts for more than 40% of its sales, confirming its position as one of the most appreciated Jeep models by European customers and one of the most sought-after in the 4xe configuration with plug-in hybrid technology. Approximately one in four Compass models sold in Europe is a 4xe version. The 4xe variant is the best-selling plug-in hybrid model in Italy.

The New Compass is fitted with a range of efficient internal combustion and plug-in hybrid engines, all Euro 6D Final-compliant, and a range of cutting-edge active and passive safety systems that enhance the dynamic behavior and the renowned Jeep 4x4 capabilities.

The engine range was updated with the addition of the new GSE four-cylinder 1.3-litre turbo petrol engine, designed to offer outstanding performance, while delivering excellent driving comfort and efficiency, with consumption and CO2 emissions reduced by up to 27% (WLTP cycle) when compared to the previous petrol model. All this was made even more fascinating by the debut of the version with plug-in hybrid technology for 100% electric, zero-emissions driving - the combination of extraordinary 4xe capabilities and sustainable mobility: the Jeep brand's take on electrification.

Along with Renegade, the Jeep Compass was the first model to feature the 4xe logo, which identifies all Jeep 4x4 vehicles offering enhanced hybrid capability and performance, and providing the best possible balance between efficiency, driving fun and attention to the environment.

The new model features a refreshed high-tech profile, while maintaining its renowned urban, modern, sophisticated and environment-conscious spirit. More elegant and modern, it features an all-new cabin, designed to improve comfort and life on board, and to make the urban driving experience smarter. Major highlights include the full-HD digital 10.25-inch instrument cluster, DAB radio, Uconnect 5 system with touchscreens from 8.4-inch to 10.1-inch, moved to the middle of the dashboard in a higher position so the driver can remain focused on the road, a five times faster processor, Android operating system with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration, interactive 3D TomTom navigation and natural voice recognition, and Uconnect Services.

The interior has also been made even more functional with a new arrangement of the central console and augmented storage compartment space (providing nearly 4.4 litres of additional storage - a three-fold increase versus the 2.8 litres of the previous version, now with a total of 7.2 litres). In addition, it offers a more modern and distinctive style, courtesy of the new dashboard, central tunnel, steering wheel and door panels, featuring premium materials and finishes.

The New Compass is the first Jeep vehicle in Europe to offer level 2 autonomous driving and is equipped with the latest generation ADAS, as standard across the range. These include: Traffic Sign Recognition, which reads and interprets the road signs; Intelligent Speed Assist, to automatically keep the car within the speed limit advertised; Drowsy Driver Alert, to alert the drivers when their attention falters or if they drop off for a moment; and Automatic Emergency Braking with pedestrian and cyclist recognition, which slows the vehicle down to a complete stop, to avoid (or mitigate) accidents that could occur. But the biggest new feature is the Highway Assist, combining Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Centering, to automatically adjust the vehicle's speed and trajectory. The vehicle therefore automatically stays in the middle of the lane, at a sensible distance from the vehicle in front, for a driving experience with total peace of mind (available in the second half of 2021).

The New Jeep Compass also comes with a new range, now offered in five trim levels (Sport, Longitude, Limited, S and Trailhawk), with five different combinations of powertrains - petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid, three gearboxes (six-speed manual, automatic Dual Dry Clutch Transmission (DDCT) or six-speed automatic) - and front- or four-wheel drive. The petrol version comes with the 1.3-litre GSE engine with 130 hp or 150 hp, paired with a manual transmission and Dual Dry Clutch Transmission (DDCT) respectively, both with front-wheel drive. To complete the range of internal combustion engines comes the 1.6-litre, 130-hp diesel engine paired with six-speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive. The plug-in hybrid range is offered with two power outputs - 190 hp and 240 hp, paired to a six-speed automatic transmission and eAWD four-wheel drive.

Furthermore, there is an array of rental and financial solutions offered by Leasys and FCA Bank that make the Jeep range and New Compass even more accessible to customers. These include innovative rental solution as Leasys Miles, the pay per use mobility solution, and financial solution as the FCA Bank private lease.

Finally, for the launch of the New Jeep Compass, Mopar® developed new accessories with the aim to complete the new vehicle's features with additional contents, improve the customization opportunities, and enhance the interior comfort offer.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:08 PM

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...compass-drive/

Dominated by unattractive plastics throughout and containing about as many soft-touch surfaces as the inside of a Power Wheels Jeep, the interior design and material quality of the Jeep Compass have been sorely lacking. Jeep appears to have been aware because it rectifies those criticisms and more as part of a makeover effort that transforms the 2022 Compass into a snazzier compact SUV.

Back in 2017, the Compass was rebooted for its second generation. It's an important model for Jeep's global markets, while in the U.S., it aims at buyers who might find the chunky Renegade too small or kitschy and the bulbous Cherokee too big or pricey. The Compass was heralded as a handsome little brother to the mid-size Grand Cherokee, with a similarly styled interior that initially was seen as an upgrade over the offensive confines of its predecessor. However, the honeymoon was short-lived. As we spent more time inside, we began to grumble about its fit and finish and ergonomic foibles. That is, until now.

Instead of an amorphous blob for a dashboard and awkwardly placed climate controls, the '22 Compass treats front-seat passengers to a cohesive layout much like the redesigned 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The outboard air vents are now discreetly integrated into a continuous trim element, and the switchgear for the HVAC system is mounted higher and properly organized. A padded piece with stitching on its face and a metallic shelf-like structure underneath completes the upscale vibe. The richer aesthetic extends to the door panels, which have better design and material variations. The elevated center console adds defined edges and more useful cubby storage.

We've long appreciated the crisp resolution and quick responses of Uconnect infotainment systems, and the latest software (Uconnect 5) in the Compass is further improved with a faster processor and a fresh interface that's devoid of cartoony graphics. The addition of wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto ensures speedy smartphone synchronization and keeps the Jeep's tech up to date, as does the new 10.3-inch digital gauge cluster. The huge 10.1-inch touchscreen in our tester was part of the High Altitude package, a $2595 option reserved for the upper-tier Limited model, which starts at $33,790. The High Altitude package also spruces up the Compass's appeal with 19-inch wheels, body-color lower moldings, enhanced lighting elements, black leather upholstery, a dual-pane sunroof, and a nine-speaker Alpine stereo.

The Compass's redesigned cabin finally qualifies as deluxe, but the fresh digs can't disguise that its powertrain is a dud. Every Compass is still motivated by a naturally aspirated 2.4-liter inline-four. All-wheel-drive models (like ours) use a nine-speed automatic transmission; front-drivers have a six-speed unit. We weren't able to track-test our '22 example, but with engine output down slightly for 2022—from 180 to 177 horsepower and from 175 to 172 pound-feet of torque—there's nothing to suggest it'll be any quicker than a 2018 Compass 4x4 we tested. That Compass hit 60 mph in a languid 9.3 seconds. The Jeep was sluggish at highway speeds, too, taking 6.5 ticks to go from 50 to 70 mph. That's longer than it takes some turbocharged rivals to reach 60 mph from a dead stop.

Except when just moseying around town, the Compass is a certified slowpoke. Any request for urgency requires heavy throttle inputs, and after pausing for the nine-speed to downshift, there's a frenzied roar from the engine as it rushes toward its lofty, narrow powerband. Simply put, the Compass sounds coarse and lacks the effortless thrust of turbocharged alternatives. Fuel economy isn't exactly impressive either, with both front- and all-wheel-drive models rated at 25 mpg combined—same as last year. Still, the Compass we drove stayed composed during cornering, had a firm brake pedal without much mush, and provided a mostly civil ride despite the thinner sidewalls that accompany its 19-inch wheels. However, things turned choppy on gravel roads.

Our 2022 Compass High Altitude carried an as-tested price of $38,175. That included $295 for Granite Crystal metallic paint and the $1495 Elite Interior package (ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, hands-free power liftgate, a 110-volt outlet). Even with its ritzier interior and improved tech, we're not ready to call the Compass a great value or rank it among segment leaders. Instead, we'll laud Jeep for addressing one of the model's biggest flaws. Now it just needs to fix the other one: its subpar powertrain.
​​​​​​​