Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What is MB doing?!
Old 08-09-2006, 04:24 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Acura and Honda bested by Mercury and Buick?!?!??!

Nissan is sucking it up.

...and lastly...I love how Olds makes the list
Old 08-09-2006, 04:28 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Audi too
Old 08-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
for Acura CL!

I get so confused by these charts. How can porsche drop so fast within a model year? What did they change from 2002 to 2003 that would cause them to drop so fast.

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 08-09-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:40 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Mercury and Jaguar look like they are doing well... Good to hear from Ford... Except Lincoln, they still need some work based on this study.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
It's nice to see Acura on top of Honda, which should be the case.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Pinky all stinky

@ the CL topping the entry level category...
Old 08-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
for Acura CL!

I get so confused by these charts. How can porsche drop so fast within a model year? What did they change from 2002 to 2003 that would cause them to drop so fast.
That is exactly what I thought when I looked at the chart.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Pinky all stinky

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...00%7D&keyword=

This week, executives at GM and Ford made comments about ongoing attempts to pull perceptions more in line with reality. "Perception definitely lags reality," Ford Americas Chief Mark Fields said during an interview Tuesday. On Wednesday, GM's Mark LaNeve, the auto maker's top North American sales executive, told a group of auto analysts that GM still has work to do to convince buyers that GM's products are as good as the best of the competition.
Maybe 3 years ago I would've agreed with that comment on perception, especially for Toyota. But even now they've upped the ante on quality, while Ford/GM...improved, but they're still lagging. I'd say perception mirrors reality quite closely now.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:31 AM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by West6MT
That is exactly what I thought when I looked at the chart.
Isn't that around the time the Cayanne came out?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
I wonder what the conversation is like at a Land Rover dealership when the customer asks about reliability.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Ugh @ Hyundai.

90-day is great but 3-year still needs help. It will be interesting to see how things improve over the next couple of years with these new models.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,880 Likes on 3,491 Posts
Being "kind of" in the market for a large luxury car, I lean towards an A8. Then I look at perennial #1 Lexus' LS 430 and think maybe that shld be the car instead. THEN I see the car on the road and think old man chariot. I'm so confused . . . . .
Old 08-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Pinky all stinky

Get the A8 and a Honda Civic for backup.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by charliemike
Ugh @ Hyundai.

90-day is great but 3-year still needs help. It will be interesting to see how things improve over the next couple of years with these new models.

well in 2003, only reliable hyundai was probably sonata and elantra. new santa, azera, sonata, tucson, accent and entourage should do well in the future.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jwong77
Isn't that around the time the Cayanne came out?
Here's what the article says:
The substantial drop-off in Porsche's performance, from 149 problems per 100 2002 model year cars last year, to 248 problems per 100 2003 model year cars this year, was due mostly to problems with the company's 911 and Boxster sports cars, said Neal Oddes, director of product research and analysis for J.D. Power and Associates.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
I wonder what the conversation is like at a Land Rover dealership when the customer asks about reliability.

Here is what it is:

Land Rover blames problems on software glitch - - By MARK RECHTIN | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

LOS ANGELES -- So how clunky are Land Rovers, anyway?

According to the latest J.D. Power Initial Quality Study, the British SUV brand is at the bottom of the heap, with 204 problems per 100 vehicles. That's far worse than the industry average of 124 problems per 100 vehicles.

The poor showing is a repeat performance for the luxury SUV brand, which has been one of the bottom three of the Power IQS pack for three of the past four years.

How many vs. how serious

Land Rover executives say that it's not necessarily how many problems are found but how bad those problems are. It also matters how quickly the problems are corrected on the assembly line. Land Rover has fixed the problems detailed in the survey, said Al Kammerer, director of product development for Land Rover and Jaguar.

J.D. Power executives counter that niggling early quality problems often are bellwethers for longer-term lack of durability and reliability.

"There is a very good correlation between initial quality and vehicle dependability," said Neal Oddes, J.D. Power director of product research and analysis.

J.D. Power's vehicle dependability survey will be released Wednesday, Aug.9.

In Land Rover's case, its dead-last IQS finish can be attributed largely to software gremlins that triggered a persistent check-engine light.

"Consumers just knew they had a problem with a check-engine light," Oddes said. "They didn't know what the underlying problem was, and that leads to a certain apprehension."

Land Rover replaced its BMW-sourced engines for the Range Rover with ones from Jaguar for the 2006 model year. It also launched the Range Rover Sport with the same Jaguar engines. Both required creating new engine management software applications.

But Land Rover engineers did not account for all the different electronic connections that a Land Rover must mate to, compared with Jaguar. That triggered fault codes in the software that then lit the check-engine light, Kammerer said.

Those errors were especially prominent in the Range Rover, which used the new Jaguar engine but retained the original BMW electrical architecture.

"Seventy to 80 percent of all quality problems have their root in poor engineering," Kammerer said. "We have gone back and fixed those goofs and have the data to prove it."

All models involved

All IQS data is sales weighted, Oddes said. But all three Land Rover models - the Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and LR3 - contributed to the brand's poor performance.

In addition to the check-engine light, consumers dinged Land Rovers for brake noise, as well as the Range Rover Sport's hard-to-close liftgate.

Kammerer said the brake problems derived from the "witchcraft" of the brake pad formulating process gone wrong. The liftgate problems came from the body shop's stamping tolerances being out of whack. Both problems have been corrected, Kammerer said.

The real evidence of Land Rover quality comes from warranty cost outlays, Kammerer said. While he would not disclose warranty-cost-per-vehicle - that being a highly guarded secret at most automakers - Kammerer said costs are down by "well beyond 20 percent" since last year.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
And they didn't know about all those check engine light issues when they switched drivetrains?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:13 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,067 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Being "kind of" in the market for a large luxury car, I lean towards an A8. Then I look at perennial #1 Lexus' LS 430 and think maybe that shld be the car instead. THEN I see the car on the road and think old man chariot. I'm so confused . . . . .
You're confused because deep down, you know you want a TSX.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
What's there not to confuse? If I was buying a full sized luxury car ... LS430 all the way. No ifs, ands, or buts. It's an "old-man chariot" if you don't mod it. Slap on some Teins, JDM VIP rims on with the negative camber ... now you're a
I'd settle with Lexion rims and call it a day.

Seriously, if it's your $$$ ... buy what you like. You're talking upper echelon in $$$, so the price shouldn't be a factor if you're looking at those types of cars. You have plenty of disposable income ...
Old 08-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
for Acura CL!

on the CL...

I think you might be confusing JD powers initial quality to the one here with is based on problems in the first 3 years...

Example: My CL was in for various stuff in the first year (or so) like both lower control arms replaced, brakes redone, so while it took a hit on initial quality, but has been trouble free other then those items... (knock on wood).
Old 08-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
on the CL...

I think you might be confusing JD powers initial quality to the one here with is based on problems in the first 3 years...

Example: My CL was in for various stuff in the first year (or so) like both lower control arms replaced, brakes redone, so while it took a hit on initial quality, but has been trouble free other then those items... (knock on wood).
wonder if they count the tranny problem.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:52 PM
The hair says it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Land Rovers go to the dealer all the time, but those engines are bulletproof. Its like a Benz, it wont leave you stranded but your cup holders will break every week.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Python2121
Land Rovers go to the dealer all the time, but those engines are bulletproof. Its like a Benz, it wont leave you stranded but your cup holders will break every week.
Car's like Benzes and Bimmers have electrical problems...some may leave you stranded.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Racer

I really like their upcoming LR2 (Freelander replacemen), hope they work out the quality issues.

Originally Posted by Python2121
Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Moto Enthusiast

JD Power 2009 Vehicle Dependability Study *not customer service index*

J.D. Power and Associates Reports:
Buick and Jaguar Tie to Rank Highest for Vehicle Dependability

Toyota Motor Corporation Captures Ten Segment Awards; Ford Motor Company Garners Four

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 19 March 2009 — Buick and Jaguar each rank highest in vehicle dependability in a tie, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2009 Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS) released today. Buick improves from a sixth-place ranking in 2008, while Jaguar improves from 10th place. Following in the top five rankings this year are Lexus, Toyota and Mercury.

Toyota garners five segment awards—more than any other nameplate in 2009—for the Highlander, Prius, Sequoia, Solara and Tundra. Lexus follows with four segment awards for the ES 330 (in a tie with the Acura RL), GX 470, LS 430 and SC 430. Lincoln captures two awards for the Mark LT and Zephyr. Models by Acura, Buick, Dodge, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Mercury, Nissan and Scion each rank highest in one segment.

“Buick has ranked among the top 10 nameplates each year since the study was last redesigned in 2003, while Jaguar has moved rapidly up the rankings,” said David Sargent, vice president of automotive research at J.D. Power and Associates. “Lexus remains a very strong competitor in long-term quality. In particular, the Lexus LS 430 sets the industry standard for dependability, with fewer problems reported than any other model in the study.”

The study, which measures problems experienced by original owners of three-year-old (2006 model year) vehicles, has been redesigned to include 202 different problem symptoms across all areas of the vehicle. Overall dependability is determined by the level of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality. The study is used extensively by vehicle manufacturers worldwide to help design and build better vehicles—which typically retain higher resale values—and by consumers to help them make more-informed choices for both new and used vehicles.

“In the current economic climate, consumers are delaying new-vehicle purchases and keeping their vehicles longer—the average age of a vehicle at trade-in has increased to 73 months in 2009 from 65 months in 2006,” said Sargent. “This makes vehicle dependability even more critical. Automakers have improved long-term dependability by an average of 10 percent each year since the inception of the study, which is a testament to the industry’s commitment to continuously improve and sustain quality, especially long-term quality. Making improvements in long-term quality not only satisfies customers who are holding onto their vehicles longer, but it will also influence their decisions when they return to the new-vehicle market or are seeking to purchase a pre-owned vehicle.”

The study finds that the frequency and severity of component replacement has a particularly strong impact on customer loyalty intentions. Component areas for which the impact is greatest include engine and transmission. When engine components are replaced or rebuilt, just 11 percent of customers state that they definitely intend to purchase or lease another vehicle of the same make, compared with nearly 40 percent among owners who report replacing no components.

The study also finds that Buick, Lincoln, Mercury and Jaguar owners are less likely to replace components than owners of other vehicle brands. While component replacement rates are similar for premium and non-premium makes, there are notable differences between vehicle segments. Owners of models in the premium sporty vehicle segment are least likely to replace components, while owners of models in the van segment are most likely to replace components.

The 2009 Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 46,000 original owners of 2006 model-year vehicles. The study was fielded in October 2008.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Moto Enthusiast

Buick and Jag on top. I thought Jaguar had tons of reliability issues including the new XK
Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Thumbs up List

2009 Nameplate Ranking

Problems per 100 Vehicles

Buick 122
Jaguar 122
Lexus 126
Toyota 129
Mercury 134
Infiniti 142
Acura 146
Lincoln 147
Cadillac 148
Honda 148
Porsche 150
Audi 159
Ford 159
Hyundai 161
Subaru 162
Chrysler 165
BMW 166
Industry Average 170
GMC 174
Mercedes-Benz 184
Chevrolet 185
Mitsubishi 185
Volvo 186
Nissan 199
Dodge 202
MINI 205
Saturn 211
Kia 218
Jeep 220
Pontiac 220
HUMMER 221
Scion 222
SAAB 226
Mazda 227
Isuzu 234
Land Rover 238
Volkswagen 260
Suzuki 263

Top Three Models per Segment
Car Segments

Sub-Compact Car
Highest Ranked: Scion xA
Suzuki Aerio
Chevrolet Aveo

Compact Car
Highest Ranked: Toyota Prius
Toyota Matrix
Pontiac Vibe

Compact Sporty Car
Highest Ranked: Mazda MX-5 Miata
Subaru Impreza
Pontiac Solstice Convertible

Midsize Sporty Car
Highest Ranked: Toyota Solara
Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Ford Mustang

Midsize Car
Highest Ranked: Buick LaCrosse
Toyota Camry
Mercury Milan

Large Car
Highest Ranked: Mercury Grand Marquis
Buick Lucerne
Mercury Montego

Compact Premium Sporty Car
Highest Ranked: Nissan 350Z
Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class
Acura RSX

Entry Premium Vehicle
Highest Ranked: Lincoln Zephyr
Cadillac CTS
Infiniti G-Series

Midsize Premium Car
Highest Ranked: Acura RL (tie)
Lexus ES 330 (tie)
Infiniti M-Series

Large Premium Car
Highest Ranked: Lexus LS 430
Lincoln Town Car
Cadillac DTS

Premium Sporty Car
Highest Ranked: Lexus SC 430
Porsche 911
Chevrolet Corvette

Top Three Models per Segment
Truck / Multi-Activity Vehicle (MAV) Segments
Compact MAV
Highest Ranked: Honda Element
Honda CR-V
Mitsubishi Outlander

Midsize MAV
Highest Ranked: Toyota Highlander
Toyota 4Runner
Buick Rainier

Large MAV
Highest Ranked: Toyota Sequoia
Chevrolet Tahoe
Ford Expedition

Large Pickup
Highest Ranked: Toyota Tundra
Ford F-150 LD
GMC Sierra LD

Midsize Pickup
Highest Ranked: Ford Ranger
Honda Ridgeline
Toyota Tacoma

Van
Highest Ranked: Dodge Caravan
Ford Freestar
Toyota Sienna

Midsize Premium MAV
Highest Ranked: Lexus GX 470
Acura MDX
Lexus RX 330/RX400h

Large Premium MAV
Highest Ranked: Lincoln Mark LT
Land Rover Range Rover Sport
Lincoln Navigator

Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Merged...put all JD Power VDS news in here going forward. We don't need a new thread each year.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Safety Car

With the new Lacrosse, hopefully Buick's appeal will finally catch up with it's dependability. Luckily Jag doesn't have that problem. The XF has taken Jag's sexy factor to a new level.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
^ -_- wat
Old 03-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JS + TL
^ -_- wat
There is no way Jag and Buick are more dependable than Lexus (or Mercury more dependable than Acura). This list is bullshit.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:42 PM
I drive a Subata.

Have you owned or driven any of the new Buick or Jag cars?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Have you owned or driven any of the new Buick or Jag cars?
driven yes, owned no

They drive very well (even old Jags and Buicks drove well), but I can't trust that they will be dependable (at least compared to the Japanese brands).
Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
I drive a Subata.

And J.D. Power is certainly one of the most reliable sources. No?

They are not just making any uneducated assumptions like some idiots on AZ. They actually do some serious researches in order to get that type of statistical results.

You don't just call that BS because you don't think it's true.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

And J.D. Power is certainly one of the most reliable sources. No?

They are not just making any uneducated assumptions like some idiots on AZ. They actually do some serious researches in order to get that type of statistical results.

You don't just call that BS because you don't think it's true.
Personally, I trust CR more than I trust JD.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:05 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Personally, I trust CR more than I trust JD.
This is much better than this

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 PM
where is....

are you sure that list is recent?
the RSX is under best sport compact........but it hasnt been a production model for 3 years now.

Quick Reply: J.D. Power: Vehicle Dependability Study News