J.D. Power: Vehicle Dependability Study News

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
J.D. Power: Vehicle Dependability Study News

Automotive News / July 08, 2003

Lexus grabbed the top spot in the latest J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study - a position it has held for nine consecutive years.

But in a surprising development, Buick vaulted into the No. 3 spot from No. 7 last year, showing that domestic automakers are making inroads against the Japanese and Europeans when it comes to quality.

The study, released Tuesday, July 8, measures problems reported by original owners of 2000 model vehicles. Unlike past years, the results are based on three years of ownership instead of four or five. J.D. Power and Associates, of Westlake Village, Calif., says that is so automakers have time "to better support manufacturer product improvement efforts in next-generation replacement models."

Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A Inc. had nine models with top segment rankings, followed by Ford Motor Co. and General Motors with three each, and American Honda and Porsche Cars North America Inc. with one each.

Mercedes-Benz finished below the industry average for the second consecutive year.

GM was the only domestic manufacturer to rank above the industry average in the corporate rankings, with 12 models finishing in the top three of the segment rankings, second only to Toyota Motor Sales with 13.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nameplate ranking here
http://www.autonews.com/files/jdpnameplate2003.ppt

Top 3 vehicles per segment here:
http://www.autonews.com/files/jdptop2003.ppt

Corporate Ranking here:
http://www.autonews.com/files/jdpcorporate2003.ppt
Old 07-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Porsche 4th! Wow!
Buick 3rd! Wow!
Acura 5th - behind Porche! Wow!

Toyota 5th! Wow!
Cadillac doing well just under Toyota.

Mercury 10th? Wow!

Audi WAY below industry average! And I had the S4 on my list for next year. Hmmm...

Mercedes what happened to you dear? Poor lady.

Why is Volvo so low this year?

VW my God! How pathetic.

Very interesting.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Top 3 cars per segment:

Chevy Prizm 2nd in compact car category! Wow!
Go Malibu, first.
Plymouth Breeze second and Cirrus 3rd? Good for Chrysler.

Biuck in there again with the Century. Nice.

Mercury Grand Marquis winning the category? Holy Moly.

No surprises in the Entry Luxury segment.

The RL wins its segment. Wow! Go Acura.

The Town Car just behind the RL? Wow! American cars are getting there.

And the Park Avenue somes 3rd. Wow!

Q45 second, nice.

MR2 wins category? Wow! Integra and Miata. Interesting.

Porsche with 2 cars in its category. I mean that;s all they made back then. The Cayene was not out yet. Good for them.

Go RX300!

Mercury Villager wins category. Nice. The Toyota Sienna is 3rd in the same category with another USAmerican car being second. The Voyager from Plymouth. Nice again.

How can we let the Tacoma win the category of small trucks? I mean come on.

The Bravada 3rd in its category. Nice, but sad.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Corporate ranking. When you slice it that way, PORSCHE IS NUMBER ONE?!? Oh man!

Nissan in 4th. Nice!

Subaru made it above average this way. Not bad.

VW is just beyond pathetic no matter how you slice it. How sad!
Old 07-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
J.D. Power and Associates survey of long-term vehicle quality survey

I had posted a new thread about this, but deleted it when I saw this one
Old 07-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wouldn't call 3 years dependable, car is still new at that age. also lexus and toyota averaged together is 182, don't know how porsche ended up ahead of that.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Quicker than U Think

Go Buick!!!! Hey, mine is a 2000 too. No wonder I haven't had any problems, well until the last few weeks. But that is probably due to mods and abuse more than anything else. Darn elecreical gremlins. Fuel level sensor and wheel speed sensor(darn potholes).
Old 07-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Very interesting:

From Autoweek:

Joe Ivers of J.D. Power says that the strong performance by GM and its fellow domestic makers goes against standard perceptions of vehicle durability. “Conventional wisdom,” he suggests, “said that dependability was the property of the Japanese and Europeans. While that’s still true for automakers like Toyota and Honda, it’s no longer the case for many of the Europeans.”

Ivers lauds brands like Porsche, Saab, BMW and Jaguar for being above average, but points to many other Europeans, such as Volvo and perennial IQS-poor performer Volkswagen, as posting well-below average performances. Mercedes-Benz, which trumped the first VDS in 1990, fell below average for the second straight year. On an average brand-by-brand basis, Europeans are way far off the mark. Japanese makers, of which there are 11 (including those owned by American and European companies), posted 262 problems per 100 on average. Interestingly, of all the brands falling below average, each of them is at least partially owned by an American or European conglomerate.

Europeans, of which four of nine are owned by American automakers, posted 306 problems per 100. The 14 American brands posted 268 problems per 100, just six off the pace of the Japanese. The three Korean brands fared worse in the industry, posting 424 problems. General Motors will begin selling one of those Korean brands, Daewoo, under Suzuki and Chevrolet banners starting later this year.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Toyota tops in dependability, J.D. Power says; domestics show improvement

Toyota tops in dependability, J.D. Power says; domestics show improvement - - By GAIL KACHADOURIAN | Automotive News - - - Source: Autoweek

Toyota Motor Corp.’s vehicles lead the industry in dependability, according to J.D. Power and Associates’ 2004 Vehicle Dependability Study released on Tuesday.

Toyota and Lexus vehicles ranked No. 1 in seven of the 17 car and truck segments.

Last year, Toyota was ranked second behind Porsche Cars North America. Porsche in 2004 moved to third place, while American Honda Motor Co. took the number two spot.

Lexus was the highest-ranked nameplate for the 10th straight year. It had 162 problems per 100 vehicles, compared with 163 last year.

The closely watched survey of long-term vehicle dependability is based on responses from 48,113 owners of three-year-old vehicles when questioned about issues such as drivability and problems including noise and vibration.

The Toyota Corolla was the most dependable in the compact car segment for the second straight year. It had 152 problems per 100 vehicles, 30 fewer than last year.

The Big 3 each recorded improvements in corporate dependability ratings. General Motors had two fewer problems per 100 vehicles. GM, with 262 problems per 100 vehicles, is the only U.S. automaker that ranks above the corporate industry average of 269.

Ford Motor Co. was the most improved domestic nameplate, cutting 19 problems per 100 vehicles to 276.

Despite improvements -- GM was neck-and-neck with Toyota in the number of highly ranked vehicles -- Joe Ivers, J.D. Power's executive director of quality and customer satisfaction research, cautioned that Detroit has an image problem stemming from some of its poorly built vehicles of the past.

"It takes a long time for a reputation to get healed ... The perception tends to lag the reality sometimes by as much as 10 years," Ivers told reporters on a conference call.

"There's a large cross-section of customers out there who just will not consider a domestically produced vehicle and in many cases the (past) quality is the barrier," he said.

U.S. automakers continue to outpace European automakers in long-term quality.

Volkswagen AG and its Audi unit both improved over last year's results. But VW was still near the bottom of the survey and Ivers said virtually all European automakers were struggling with quality problems.

Land Rover, which Ivers described as a perennial loser, finished last among individual nameplates. "They're highly desirable vehicles but they tend to have a tough time getting customers to buy more than one," said Joe Ivers, J.D. Power's executive director of quality and customer satisfaction research.

Since their 1998 linkup with Chrysler, executives at Daimler have boasted about how Mercedes-Benz would show its poor American cousin how to build more dependable and desirable vehicles.

But Chrysler and its Dodge, Jeep and now-defunct Plymouth brands all out-ranked Mercedes, which had 327 problems per 100 vehicles, up from 318 problems in last year's survey.

Three Korean nameplates, Hyundai, Daewoo and Kia, all ranked near the bottom. Hyundai had 375 problems per 100 vehicles, Daewoo had 411 and Kia, which was second to last, had 432 problems.

Reuters contributed to this report.

2004 automaker Vehicle Dependability Study ranking

2004 nameplate Vehicle Dependability Study ranking

Top three vehicles in each segment

Old 06-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nameplate comments:

1. Buick second! Wow! That's beyond consistent now. They are for real

2. Lincoln 4th. Nice.

4. Cadillac up there as well. Need to be there and even higher. Exciting product only wont cut it. Got to be dependable as well. I am sure they can do it though.

5. Acura, how can Honda beat you? What the hell?

6. Honda beats Acura! Wow!

7. Mercury up there. Interesting.

8. Toyota 8th. Hmmm...

9. VW you POS!

10. Mercedes still down there. What a shame!

11. Hmm.. Audi made big strides. From the bottom to the top of the bottom. Another shame!

12. Jaguar how pathetic!
Old 06-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Vehicle Comments:

1. The Prizm is up there! Wow!

2. Malibu wins again! They must be for real at Chevy. Even the Grand Am is in the top three. Do you see how GM is squeezing the Japs? It's happening. American cars will be more qualitative than Japanese cars in 6 years time. Watch.

3. Look at Buick having the second and third place in the Premium Mid Size Segment! Wow!

4. The Concorde won full size! Unbelievable.

5. What is the Eldorado doing at the top! Wow!

6. Good for the MR2 winning its segment.

7. Same for the S2000. The Corvette is missing. No!

You can tell for the above 2, enthusiasm about your vehicle plays its role in such studies. A lot of it "how much I love my car" kind of rating.

8. How can the QX4 make it second? Must have been lovable.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

GM overall did really well.. I'm very impressed. Cadillac did very well too considering they had a number of new products introduced last year.

I'm not very happy with how Nissan performed. I can tell the difference in quality between my parents 99 Maxima and my 350Z though. I love my Z, but Nissan has slipped in quality somewhat.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
:o go Audi
Old 06-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cusdaddy

I'm not very happy with how Nissan performed. I can tell the difference in quality between my parents 99 Maxima and my 350Z though. I love my Z, but Nissan has slipped in quality somewhat.

I agree, my brothers 97 maxima seemed better put together than his 04 maxima.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Also im not trying to stick up for Audi, but these charts are for 3 year dependablity. Which means they are basing everything off the 2002 models. In which case the 2002 A4 was all new and had issues with coilpacks, which basicly fixed in 03 and 04 models. Dunno how the other audi cars in the lineup are.

I guess im just hopingmy 04 A4 aint a POS. But i have had good luck so far.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

GM overall did really well.. I'm very impressed. Cadillac did very well too considering they had a number of new products introduced last year.

There was an article the other day on autonews about the fact that Nissan is expatriating 200 engineers from Japan to come and see why Nissan vehicles manufactured in the USA plants have done so poorly in quality. Things are that bad and they are that desparate.

I hope they fix this soon.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Cus, is the Z's final assembly in Japan or USA??
Old 07-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gavriil
Nameplate comments:

1. Buick second! Wow! That's beyond consistent now. They are for real

2. Lincoln 4th. Nice.

4. Cadillac up there as well. Need to be there and even higher. Exciting product only wont cut it. Got to be dependable as well. I am sure they can do it though.
Cadillac's ranking is still better than that of any German or Swedish brand. Plus Cadillacs are more complicated and offer a newer array of models than Buicks. That's not too shabby in my opinion.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Cadillac's ranking is still better than that of any German or Swedish brand. Plus Cadillacs are more complicated and offer a newer array of models than Buicks. That's not too shabby in my opinion.
I hear ya but:

1. There is no such thing as a "Swedish brand", but I know what you mean

2. Where I want to see Cadillac is where Lexus is. The expectation has to be: To beat Lexus. Or: To be number 1!
Old 07-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F23A4
Cus, is the Z's final assembly in Japan or USA??
100% Manufactured in Japan, but I'm still having problems. My front tires had to be replaced and the front re-alligned (under warranty) for feathering, and I now have to have my transmission syncro's replaced due to gear grinding.

I love the car, but the quality of Nissan has suffered somewhat recently
Old 07-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
100% Manufactured in Japan, but I'm still having problems. My front tires had to be replaced and the front re-alligned (under warranty) for feathering, and I now have to have my transmission syncro's replaced due to gear grinding.

I love the car, but the quality of Nissan has suffered somewhat recently
Then it sounds like Nissan better not expatriate too many engineers to the USA, seeing as they're seeing some problems on the homefront.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Then it sounds like Nissan better not expatriate too many engineers to the USA, seeing as they're seeing some problems on the homefront.
I hear ya... It's mostly that I have a early VIN # 2003 Z, so a lot of the problems I have are common to early production models that have since been fixed in later production models.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Safety Car

Well considering Infiniti is still number 2 behind lexus it means nothing. Nissan is nissan, just like toyota is not lexus.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

J.D. Power: Vehicle Dependability Study news **2009 Results (page 2)**

Lexus keeps J.D. Power dependability crown - - Lexus keeps J.D. Power dependability crown - - Source: Automotive News

For the 11th straight year, Lexus is tops in long-term quality in J.D. Power and Associates' Vehicle Dependability Study.

According to the 2005 study, owners of 2002-model Lexus vehicles reported 139 problems per 100 vehicles. Power released the study on Wednesday.

Lexus showed a 14 percent improvement in dependability over 2004, Power said. Lexus vehicles ranked first in three of the 19 car and truck segments included in the study.

The Lexus LS 430 had 90 problems per 100 vehicles. It is the first model in the history of the 16-year-old study to have fewer than one problem per vehicle.

Porsche showed a dramatic increase in this year's study. It finished second in dependability, up from tenth last year. Porsche had 149 problems per 100 vehicles, a 38 percent year-over-year improvement.

"It's the largest percentage improvement in the industry," said Neal Oddes, Power's director of product research.

"Porsche didn't change much of their lineup" from the 2001 to 2002 model year, Oddes said. "They just improved on what they had."

Hyundai had the largest year-over-year reduction in the number of problems reported by owners. The brand had 260 problems per 100 vehicles, a reduction of 115 problems from last year's study. But Hyundai still finished below the industry average of 237 problems per 100 vehicles.

Chevrolet placed first in four model segments, more than any other brand. The study ranked Chevrolet's Prizm and Malibu cars and S-10 and Silverado HD pickups most dependable in their segments.

Among other General Motors vehicles, the Buick Century and LeSabre sedans, GMC Yukon and Yukon XL and Cadillac Escalade EXT SUVs finished on top of their model segments.

"This is the first time, when you look at GM, they've won this many segment awards," Oddes says.

Ford Motor Co. vehicles finished first in five segments. Toyota had four segment leaders.

Oddes noted that the Escalade EXT and the redesigned Ford Thunderbird, another segment winner, debuted in the 2002 model year. A first-year vehicle finishing first in dependability "is very rare at best," he says.

Overall, the Power study says, long-term vehicle quality increased 12 percent from 2004 to 2005. Audi and Saab were the only brands that did not show year-over-year improvements.

Audi had 312 problems per 100 vehicles in this year's study, a 6 percent increase from 2004. Saab had 286 problems per 100 vehicles, an 8 percent increase. Oddes called these annual changes in dependability "minor declines."

Kia, which had 397 problems per 100 vehicles, finished last in the 2005 study. Land Rover, last year's lowest performer, was second to last this year, with 395 problems.

The Power study is based on responses from 50,635 original owners of 2002 model vehicles. A vehicle warranty typically is reaching its end after three years, Power said.

[2005]
Nameplate Ranking

Problems per 100 Vehicles
Lexus 139
Porsche 149
Lincoln 151
Buick 163
Cadillac 175
Infiniti 178
Toyota 194
Mercury 195
Honda 201
Acura 203
BMW 225
Ford 231
Chevrolet 232
Chrysler 235
Industry Average 237
Saturn 240
Oldsmobile 242
GMC 245
Pontiac 245
Mazda 252
Hyundai 260
Subaru 260
Volvo 266
Jaguar 268
Dodge 273
Nissan 275
Mitsubishi 278
Mercedes-Benz 283
Saab 286
Jeep 289
Suzuki 292
Audi 312
Daewoo 318
Isuzu 331
Volkswagen 335
MINI 383
Land Rover 395
Kia 397

J.D. Power and Associates
2004 Vehicle Dependability StudySM
(VDS)

2004 Nameplate VDS Ranking

Lexus 162
Buick 187
Infiniti 189
Lincoln 194
Cadillac 196
Honda 209
Acura 212
Toyota 216
Mercury 224
Porsche 240
Chevrolet 262
GMC 262
BMW 264
Saab 265
Saturn 267
Indus try Average 269
Ford
Nis san
Chrysler
Mazda
Subaru
Plymouth
Audi
Pontiac
Dodge
Jaguar
Jeep
Oldsmobile
Mercedes-Benz
Mits ubishi
Volvo
Suzuki
Hyundai
Volkswagen
Is uzu
Daewoo
Kia
Land Rover

Source: J.D. Power and Associates 2004 Vehicle Dependability Study SM

For the above in PDF format, click here

--------------------

For 2003 numbers click here
Old 06-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Pro

Damn. Lexus has got its shit together.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Acura less dependable than Mercury and Honda! WTF!

Lincoln passing Buick is very impressive here.

Toyota is number one when you look at it from a non-luxury marque standpoint. Mercury following is extremely impressive, albeit they are helped by the fact that they have so few vehicles to offer.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by corey415
Damn. Lexus has got its shit together.
Yep. Lexus is a beast. A little surprised to see Porsche so high up, good for them. Really happy to see Caddy up there, and I'm not suprised Buick is still doing good things. It's a shame they can't get some really good product out there to exploit these numbers in addititon to their "Quiet Tuning."
Old 06-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2005 Nameplate Ranking in PDF format - - Source: Automotive News

Top Three Vehicles per Segment in PDF format - - Source: Automotive News

Old 06-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

I have no comment

-Audi sack rider
Old 06-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow look where Nissan is at...
Old 06-29-2005, 02:35 PM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
6 places above Audi.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Im not that biased, i know Audi isnt reliable unless its well taken care of.

But we all knew that.. which is why im shocked where Nissan placed.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Porsche #2

Love seeing that
Old 06-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Drifting

Interesting, last year I believe Lincoln was at the very bottom then all of a sudden this year it's in 3rd.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Safety Car

Something tells me that Nissan's new Canton (Mississippi) plant has alot to do with that. From what I understand, they fumbled on the Quest's launch, and the trucks have had more problems then projected. Notice Infiniti's way up there, and the only vehicle they get from that plant's the new QX56. Nissan gets the Titan,Armada,Quest,Pathfinder,and Frontier. I think they'll climb back up once they get the kinks out of that plant.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Racer

Nissan has always had sub-par quality. I dont' think they have met the industry average in at least 5 or 6 years. Nissans are nowhere as well built as a honda or TOyota and now even the Koreans.

Mercedes hasn't fixed a damn thing either
Old 06-29-2005, 04:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I added the 2004 results in the first post above for you convenience
Old 06-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

After experiences with my Z compared to my parents 99 Maxima, I can understand why Nissan has fallen.

With my Z, I've been through a new transmission, new front tires & alignment, a new rear axle. My parents 99 Maxima has never been to a mechanic other than scheduled maintenance.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cob3683
Porsche #2

Love seeing that
I think a lot of their placing has to do with the fact that they are extremely low volume compared to the rest of the list

Quick Reply: J.D. Power: Vehicle Dependability Study News