J.D. Power Study: Consumers prefer: Non-Luxury=European, Luxury=Japanese

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 07:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
J.D. Power Study: Consumers prefer: Non-Luxury=European, Luxury=Japanese

J.D. Power's latest survey finds that folks who shop for non-luxury new vehicles like European brands the best - and those who shop for luxury cars and trucks like the Japanese. The 2003 Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) StudySM, which measures satisfaction with interior and exterior styling and various levels of performance, discovered that non-luxury Eurobrands lead in exterior styling and ride, handling, and braking. Luxury Japanese brands pleased the same group of people when it came to interior styling, sound systems, and seats. And as new vehicles replace older ones, the survey found that many of them - including the Mazda6, Land Rover Range Rover, and the Toyota Sienna - far exceed the customer's expectations based on the models they replaced. Toyota placed four models at the top of their segments; Porsche was the top-ranked brand in the survey of 102,975 new-vehicle owners.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Owners' survey released
Reuters / October 08, 2003

DETROIT (Reuters) -- Proving that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, many of the cars and trucks rated the most appealing in an annual owners' survey released on Tuesday have been sales failures.

The Ford Excursion SUV, the Mercury Marauder and the Subaru Baja compact pickup truck all won their categories in J.D. Power and Associates' annual study on appealing cars and trucks. But all have been sales laggards, failing to broaden their appeal from a core group of buyers.

"The Subaru Baja is probably an example of that," said Joe Ivers, a partner and executive director of quality and customer satisfaction with J.D. Powers, told Reuters. "They may not be getting the volume that they intended out of that vehicle, and yet those who buy them are probably very enthusiastic about them."

The APEAL award, an acronym for automotive performance, execution and layout, is based on responses from 102,975 new-vehicle buyers during the first 90 days of ownership. The study measures the likes and dislikes of owners of their vehicle's performance and design, including styling, engine and transmission performance, handling, comfort, sound system and interior.

Two years ago, the Pontiac Aztek won the award for entry-level SUVs, despite a box-on-wheels styling that made it a running joke in Detroit.

"It was a vehicle that won its award despite its styling," Ivers said. "For people who got into the interior of the vehicle and drove, it actually was a very sound and credible vehicle."

The major Japanese and European automakers again topped the eight annual appeal awards, with Porsche taking the top spot, followed by BMW, Volkswagen, Honda Motor Co. Ltd. and Toyota Motor Corp.

Ford Motor Co., General Motors and DaimlerChrysler all placed below average, as did the smaller Korean and Japanese automakers.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Posted 10/7/2003 4:16 PM

Study: Redesigned models well-received
DETROIT (AP) — Several all-new or redesigned automobiles have achieved higher customer-satisfaction ratings than the previous versions or models they replaced, according to a study released Tuesday by J.D. Power and Associates.

The study gathered responses during the first 90 days of ownership from 102,975 new vehicle owners on their likes and dislikes.

They were asked to judge attributes such as exterior styling, engine and transmission performance, comfort and convenience and braking.

The Mazda6, introduced a year ago, stood out as the most improved redesign, jumping 8% in its rating over the Mazda 626 it replaced, the survey showed.

"The opportunity to move the appeal needle in a positive direction happens when manufacturers introduce all-new designs or the redesign of existing models," said Joe Ivers, executive director of quality/customer satisfaction at J.D. Power and Associates.

"Many of this year's launches took advantage of that opportunity and produced home runs," Ivers said.

Mazda spokesman Jeremy Barnes said the Mazda6 has done better in sales than the 626. Through September, Mazda had sold nearly 45,000 of the new cars, some 10,000 more than the 626 for the comparable period last year.

Other successful redesigns include the new Land Rover Range Rover, Toyota Sienna and Nissan Maxima, all of which scored higher in customer satisfaction than their predecessors, J.D. Power said.

Several all-new models vaulted to the top of their respective vehicle segments. They include the Mercury Marauder (full-size car), Acura TSX (entry luxury car), BMW Z4 (premium sports car), Subaru Baja (compact pickup), Honda Element (entry sport-utility vehicle) and Nissan Murano (midsize SUV.)

Toyota, including its luxury Lexus brand, had four models ranking highest in their respective segments — the most of any brand.

The top five nameplates for appeal were Lexus, Porsche, BMW, Infiniti and Cadillac, according to the rankings. The bottom five were Subaru, Jeep, Kia, Oldsmobile and Suzuki.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:50 PM
I'm Cool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The top five nameplates for appeal were Lexus, Porsche, BMW, Infiniti and Cadillac, according to the rankings. The bottom five were Subaru, Jeep, Kia, Oldsmobile and Suzuki.
dang acura needs to stop prodcution on the rsx to help the image, and come out with V8 rwd/awd
Old 10-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Yep the RSX is killing em...move it to Honda...Infiniti wised up and ditched the G20..great car, but it dragged em down...now they need to drop the I35 or freshen it well enough, but I would like to see them drop it.

You know that rings true, I sat in a 330 before I bought my TL, and before the G coupe. I just like the Japanese interiors better. If I could have the interior from the TL, with the silence of the G's interior, and the seats from the G, along with the wheel controls, I think it would be damn near perfect. That said, driving teh G...the interior grows on you.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:26 AM
Safety Car

New cars Americans love most

New cars Americans love most

J.D. Power's Apeal study ranks new cars by how much owners love looking at them and driving them.
October 7, 2003: 5:18 PM EDT
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN/Money Staff Writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Americans really love Germans. At least German car companies.

Porsche 911
Porsche, BMW and Volkswagen top the J.D. Power 2003 APEAL Corporate Index Ranking for car companies overall. APEAL stands for Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout.

The results are based in responses from 102,975 new-vehicle owners in eight categories of vehicle performance and design. Vehicles, carmakers and brands were rated on a 1,000-point scale. The average brand received 850 points overall. Porsche received 903, BMW 898 and VW 871.

Toyota's Lexus brand topped the nameplate ranking with 909 points. Porsche's 903 made it second on that list. (Since Porsche doesn't make any other brands, its corporate and nameplate score were identical.) The BMW brand was third with 901 points.

Lexus vehicles also came out at the top of three different vehicle-class lists, more than any other brand.

The Lexus LS 430 was the highest-rated premium luxury car, beating the Mercedes SL-Class and BMW 7-series. The 2004 Lexus RX330 topped the list of luxury SUVs, followed by the Lexus GX 470 and Land Rover Range Rover. Among mid-level luxury cars, the Lexus GS 300/GS 430 was tops, followed by the Jaguar S-type and Mercedes-Benz E-class.

The 2004 Toyota Sienna was the most beloved minivan in the survey -- followed by the Honda Odyssey and Chrysler Town & Country -- giving Japan's Toyota Motor Sales a total of four survey-topping vehicles.

No Porsche car ranked at the top of a segment, but the Porsche 911 tied for second place among premium sports cars with the Chevrolet Corvette. The BMW Z4 was the top car in that segment. (The Porsche Cayenne SUV was not ranked because not enough responses were collected from either 2003 or 2004 Cayennes.)

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
New cars

Porsche AG

Lexus

Toyota Motor Corporation

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

Several all-new or redesigned models earned much higher APEAL scores than the models they replaced. The Mazda6 was the most improved design, earning an a score 8 percent higher than the car it replaced, the 626. The Land Rover Range Rover, Saturn Ion and 2004 Toyota Sienna redesigns also saw big customer satisfaction improvements.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Strange list.. I would not have guessed some of those choices
Old 10-18-2003, 09:59 AM

lExUs OwnSz YoUZ
Old 10-18-2003, 04:30 PM
Instructor

I'm not surprised by the Murano. I traded my CL-S for a loaded Murano SL w/ Navi and love it. Wish I could have kept the CL-S, bu the CFO (wife) wouldn't allow it.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

heyitsme this is a repost

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ighlight=apeal

I will be deleting it soon.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VW GTI won the sporty category??

VW GTI won the sporty category?? WTF? Haven't these people heard of the WRX STi or the EVO? Even the RSX-Types S, SVT Focus & Civic Si have more cred than the GTI.

IMHO this is not representative of the prefernces of those buyers who are most likely to buy in each segment.

BTW: Car for car BMW is better than Benz in almost every segment.