International Engine of the Year Award **2010 Results (page 2)**

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i feel like the Exotics were not on the big list.

i knew the 2.0 on the A4 would win that category. hands down.

i also feel like these categories are geared to certain cars. like the 1.8 - 2.0 range for VW, cmon now... the reason they picked this range was b/c VW corp flooded the market with so cars w/ 1.8 and 2.0l engines. theres no way they arent going to win this award.

oh, congrats to the M3 for winning a <4.0L range with a mere 3.2L engine
Old 06-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gavriil
I would totally expect a slicked Z06 be faster than a caged S2000 on pretty much any track (and the more straights it has the better for the Z06 not that it would have issues on the twisies either).

So I dont think that's a fair comparison. I think a fair comparison would be an S2000 vs a Boxster (base car).
Gingerman is a technical course with not a lot of acceleration room. Now on a track like Road America, the Z06 would slaughter an S2K.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
How did this ever become an S2k vs Z06 thread?

Engines folks, engines....
Old 06-17-2005, 12:09 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by Maximized
Yawn...The M5 engine is unproven. I would have thought that the LS7 would have at lease made best performance engine. The SBC/LS2 is a proven engine with a lot of technology built into it.
how is the ls7 more proven then the m5 when no ones been able to even drive it yet?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Python2121
how is the ls7 more proven then the m5 when no ones been able to even drive it yet?
The SBC has been around since the 50s. The LS1/LS2 is a very reliable engine.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:31 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
International Engine of the Year award Winner

For the second year in a row, Volkswagen’s 1.4-liter TSI four-cylinder has been granted the prestigious International Engine of the Year award by an international panel of automotive journalists.

“I and the entire Volkswagen development team are extremely proud to receive this major international prize in the overall category for the second year in succession for the 1.4 twincharger,” said VW’s head of gasoline engine development, Dr. Rüdiger Szengel. “The combination of compressor and turbocharging provides an excellent basis for combining driving pleasure and low fuel consumption – all achieved with a relatively small engine capacity of 1.4 liters.’

The 1.4-liter, 148-horsepower turbo and supercharged motor powers a number of global market VWs ranging from the automaker’s small Polo to its shapely CC. It’s not currently available in North America, but an appearance in a U.S.-market Polo seems likely. The gasoline engine has been engineered for maximum efficiency and averages an impressive 33 mpg in mixed driving even in the boxy Sharan minivan
http://www.leftlanenews.com/vw-1-4-l...ear-award.html

...and going back a few years the 2.0T won a few times as well.

Props to VW and their 4cyl turbo engines.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:31 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Nice. I love VW.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
<!-- #BeginEditable "text" --> 2010 Categories & results
The International Engine of the Year Awards feature 11 Awards categories plus the coveted prize of International Engine of the Year.

<!--<table width="100%" border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#CC3333" rules="none"> <tr> <td></td> <td>
Click on the links below to see the winners being announced on video...
</td> </tr> </table>--> The winners are...

Best New Engine of the Year
Green Engine of the Year
Best Performance Engine
Sub 1-litre
1-litre to 1.4-litre
1.4-litre to 1.8-litre
1.8-litre to 2-litre
2-litre to 2.5-litre
2.5-litre to 3-litre
3-litre to 4-litre
Above 4-litre
Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,769 Likes on 13,963 Posts
Nice...
Old 06-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Hummm. I wonder why the J series didnt make the cut
Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Whole lotta German engines on that list.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Holy thread resurection
Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Is this the first time the VQ wasnt listed?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Is this the first time the VQ wasnt listed?
I couldn't tell you, but I always felt it was an over rated engine. Sure the potential was there and they're very torquey (almost feels like a V-8 in the ones hovering around 300 horsepower), but they don't have the refinement.

Great engine, but not one of the world's best.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
This ranking is best mostly on highest output and newest tech.
2.5 twin turbo Audi make a cut to it but 3.0T V6 which is actually more refined is not.
J series are not that advanced or very high output
but they are reliable, efficient and refined but these categories are not important in point.
Honda cars are heavier, wider, taller and has 5speed transmissions so performance of J series is not apparent.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ and nobody cares about Honda's old tired "tech".
Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
This ranking is best mostly on highest output and newest tech.
2.5 twin turbo Audi make a cut to it but 3.0T V6 which is actually more refined is not.
J series are not that advanced or very high output
but they are reliable, efficient and refined but these categories are not important in point.
Honda cars are heavier, wider, taller and has 5speed transmissions so performance of J series is not apparent.
Maybe because they are old and out dated and in dire need of replacement and upgrade to compete!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Maybe because they are old and out dated and in dire need of replacement and upgrade to compete!
As long as people are buying cars with those engines and long term warranty maintianance are low for Honda. I doubt they are going to replace it.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
I couldn't tell you, but I always felt it was an over rated engine. Sure the potential was there and they're very torquey (almost feels like a V-8 in the ones hovering around 300 horsepower), but they don't have the refinement.

Great engine, but not one of the world's best.
Agree with you 100%. Absolutely great and one of the best engine in power, torque, etc but it does lack in refinement. They sound like jet engines, even at idle. I should know since I have two of them right now, though Infiniti does a little better job of containing the noise compared to Nissan!

Supposedly, in the next several years, the VQ engine is going to be phased out due to the new Renault-Nissan-Daimler co-op. Infiniti is supposed to be getting engines from Mercedes but Nissan is suppose to keep their engines and give some of their smaller engines to Mercedes so I don't know how the hell that is suppose to work.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

As long as people are buying cars with those engines and long term warranty maintianance are low for Honda. I doubt they are going to replace it.
So in your opinion honda should continue to use them forever while every one else advances?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by smarty666
Agree with you 100%. Absolutely great and one of the best engine in power, torque, etc but it does lack in refinement. They sound like jet engines, even at idle. I should know since I have two of them right now, though Infiniti does a little better job of containing the noise compared to Nissan!

Supposedly, in the next several years, the VQ engine is going to be phased out due to the new Renault-Nissan-Daimler co-op. Infiniti is supposed to be getting engines from Mercedes but Nissan is suppose to keep their engines and give some of their smaller engines to Mercedes so I don't know how the hell that is suppose to work.
I haven't driven any current generation Infinitis other than the G35 sedan, which has since been replaced under the hood obviously.

But I have driven all of the previous sedans and the Q45.

Ironically I felt like the smoothest of any VQ was in the new Maxima, which is the one you have I think. I wonder about the Infinitis then.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

That sounds a lot like the Big 3 plans thru-out the 80's and 90's.

No thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
I haven't driven any current generation Infinitis other than the G35 sedan, which has since been replaced under the hood obviously.

But I have driven all of the previous sedans and the Q45.

Ironically I felt like the smoothest of any VQ was in the new Maxima, which is the one you have I think. I wonder about the Infinitis then.
Well, I can't speak for the new Infiniti's either in the last 2 years in regards to noise level, but to be quite honest, while I love my new Max so far, it is much noisier at idle then my FX is. They both have the 3.5 VQ with the Max having a slighly bigger displacement, but Infiniti has more things covering the engine compartment then the Nissan does so that might explain that. Overall though, until you turn the A/C on, the noise of the engine itself is not too bad. It is louder then most, but has a sporty flare to the sound which is what I think Nissan was trying to do.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Safety Car

So in your opinion honda should continue to use them forever while every one else advances?
you have to look into
Input=Output
If billions of dollars are needed for retooling and r&d to introduce new engines and transmissions and increase cost of warranty expenses around the world. remember most of third world where market is growing dont have too sophisticaed mechanic shops. this could potentially decrease the sales of Honda.
Honda Accord lacks DI engine for low rpm torque, 6speed auto or CVT but still has pretty similar fuel economy to much smaller
competitors like Camry, Sonata or Kazahi. thats even without 2011 upgrade of fuel economy. so Honda needs new transmission and engine in family sedan.
http://www.auto123.com/fr/suzuki/kiz...5&artid=119465

http://www.caradvice.com.au/36712/ho...bility-survey/
Honda’s new Accord (sold as the Accord Euro here in Australia) has been named as the UK’s most reliable car in this year’s Which? car survey.

The Honda sedan achieved a reliability score of 99 per cent, one of the highest scores ever achieved; closely followed by the new Honda Jazz in second place with a score of 98 per cent.
Honda cars hold four of the top ten places in the recent survey. As well as the second-generation Jazz reaching second place, the first-generation Jazz also scored 95.9 per cent achieving sixth place in the survey.

The Civic Hybrid achieved pole position in the hybrid vehicle sector with a score of 95.7 per cent, seventh place in the overall survey and edging ahead of its rival the Toyota Prius with 95 per cent.

A total of 77,000 drivers across the UK took part in the Which? survey to assess customer satisfaction. The survey based its results on breakdowns, faults and general niggles over a 12 month period.
Honda has also performed well in the recent JD Power survey, appearing in the top three car manufacturers for four years running

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...kt-699649.html

J.D. Power-Report 2008
Japan rockt
Zum zweiten Mal in Folge steht Honda in der J.D. Power-Kundenzufriedenheitsstudie 2008 für den deutschen Markt auf dem ersten Rang
Honda has to save its reputation of sky high image around the world of reliablity & lower maintianance so it cannot introduce newer technologies at speed of other manufacturers.

Only Honda can achieve top position in every market of the world. this is secret of its success. not some scrap like Toyota or Government Motors.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
THe VQ has some NVH issues but it is a solid performance engine. I hear they will be direct-injecting the new ones before Mercedes engines start appearing....
Old 06-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

you have to look into
Input=Output
If billions of dollars are needed for retooling and r&d to introduce new engines and transmissions and increase cost of warranty expenses around the world. remember most of third world where market is growing dont have too sophisticaed mechanic shops. this could potentially decrease the sales of Honda.
Honda Accord lacks DI engine for low rpm torque, 6speed auto or CVT but still has pretty similar fuel economy to much smaller
competitors like Camry, Sonata or Kazahi. thats even without 2011 upgrade of fuel economy. so Honda needs new transmission and engine in family sedan.
http://www.auto123.com/fr/suzuki/kiz...5&artid=119465

Honda has to save its reputation of sky high image around the world of reliablity & lower maintianance so it cannot introduce newer technologies at speed of other manufacturers.

Only Honda can achieve top position in every market of the world. this is secret of its success. not some scrap like Toyota or Government Motors.
Ok....... Let them keep using the square wheel while every one else uses the round wheel.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok....... Let them keep using the square wheel while every one else uses the round wheel.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

Yup. Honda approach is the only successful approach of auto car business.
i highly doubt honda want to becomea Diamler to cede control of its operations from outside or make alliances. and certainly not failed brand like Toyota/Lexus.

http://topnews.us/content/24536-daim...-billion-euros
Daimler sells a 9.1% stake to Abu Dhabi fund Aabar for 1.95 billion euros

Aabar's investment in buying the new shares issued by Daimler will enable the investment fund to become the single largest shareholder in the Daimler group, surpassing the 6.9 percent Kuwait. In a statement, Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche welcomed Aabar as the new major shareholder, and said that the move was "supportive of Daimler's corporate strategy."
I consider Lexus as failed brand from investment perspective as it offering large number of vehicles and largest hybrid. it is not gaining any traction around the world. even in US it is barely equal to BMW/MB where MB/BMW dominate the rest of the world.
Hyundai is too small in revenue terms and what ever its sales increase its financial will always be dire due to depreciating currency.
There are only two large companies that are truly successful One is Honda and second is VW group which has 10 companies under its brand.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

I consider Lexus as failed brand from investment perspective as it offering large number of vehicles and largest hybrid. it is not gaining any traction around the world. even in US it is barely equal to BMW/MB where MB/BMW dominate the rest of the world.
Hyundai is too small in revenue terms and what ever its sales increase its financial will always be dire due to depreciating currency.
There are only two large companies that are truly successful One is Honda and second is VW group which has 10 companies under its brand.
Is that why more people recognize Lexus over Acura? Because they are a failed brand? Please. Acura is a failed brand then too compared to MB/BMW by your standards. If those brands like lexus and Hyundai are so bad they wouldnt be making them, yet year after year they make new products, and increase desire unlike Acura.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Safety Car

Is that why more people recognize Lexus over Acura? Because they are a failed brand? Please. Acura is a failed brand then too compared to MB/BMW by your standards. If those brands like lexus and Hyundai are so bad they wouldnt be making them, yet year after year they make new products, and increase desire unlike Acura.
No one recognize Lexus over Acura. Acura has highest ALG residual values for long time. It is now JD power No2. Acura products like TL/MDX features regularly in Magazine performance and long term tests. Acura offer less variety thats why sells are lower.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Race Director

Old 06-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Any luxury brand selling BMW or MB levels is a SUCCESS.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

No one recognize Lexus over Acura. Acura has highest ALG residual values for long time. It is now JD power No2. Acura products like TL/MDX features regularly in Magazine performance and long term tests. Acura offer less variety thats why sells are lower.
Go ask 100 people on the street which vehicle they would rather have or have hear of. Bet you any amount of money that more have heard of or want the Lexus name plate than acura!

and you think because they offer less variety and sell less thats a good thing??

Last edited by fsttyms1; 06-29-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

http://www.interbrand.com/best_global_brands.aspx
When it comes to brand image.....Acura does not even crack the top 100.

Lexus is the only Asian lux make to crack the top 100.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Safety Car

Go ask 100 people on the street which vehicle they would rather have or have hear of. Bet you any amount of money that more have heard of or want the Lexus name plate than acura!

and you think because they offer less variety and sell less thats a good thing??
yup. most of people are hanging to cheapest and most fuel efficient Lexus like RX and ES with hybrid models. Most people want MDX if they can afford.

remember input=output.
Acura has less input. (less diversification ) but high priced output like MDX/ZDX/TL-Sh-AWD/RL. on same engines and similar transmission.

It is good that Acura didnot went to Europe as there is no decent diesel option yet. Lexus didnot see that and flopped badly. Infiniti is doing through Renault-Daimler diesel engines.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:38 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

It is good that Acura didnot went to Europe as there is no decent diesel option yet. Lexus didnot see that and flopped badly. Infiniti is doing through Renault-Daimler diesel engines.
UK Honda has been churning out 4-cylinder diesel Accord's, Civic's, and CR-V's for the European markets for the past few years. The Honda/Acura diesel option in Europe is very decent indeed.

The only problem for Honda/Acura is with it's large displacement diesel powerplants (supposingly for the US market) because Honda has to take a different approach to neutralize exhaust emissions than everybody else.

Honda is still having trouble passing the strict US emission regulations with it's exotic-metal catalyst approach, whereas everybody else which makes use of urea injection is able to pass the US emission with flying colors.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Senior Moderator

yup. most of people are hanging to cheapest and most fuel efficient Lexus like RX and ES with hybrid models. Most people want MDX if they can afford.
Yea you keep telling yourself that

remember input=output.
Acura has less input. (less diversification ) but high priced output like MDX/ZDX/TL-Sh-AWD/RL. on same engines and similar transmission.
And you think thats good? Maybe if they offered more options they would sell more, which they would love to do!

Honda has great diesel engines in Europe, just nothing large. Like said above, they just cant make their system pass our emissions standards here.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Safety Car

And you think thats good? Maybe if they offered more options they would sell more, which they would love to do!
yes they would sell more and inturn will become another Daimler (rescued by Arabs) or Government Motors or another Toyota or Nissan (rescued by Renault) or Porsche cooking the books. BMW will soon join the party.
another Ford. (what happend to that Premier Autogroup of JLR/Volvo/Aston Martin/Mercury?).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Automotive_Group
The Premier Automotive Group (PAG), was a group within the Ford Motor Company which was formed in 1999 to oversee the business operations of Ford's high-end automotive marques.[1]

These are all failed business strategies. Honda is not going to follow them.

Honda has great diesel engines in Europe, just nothing large. Like said above, they just cant make their system pass our emissions standards here.
Honda has great engine but its is jack of all trades. In Europe most people either prefer extreme efficiency like Blue efficiency that nets 70mpg or extrem performance. with some intermediate. Honda has only one engine with same mpg. It will need to offer atleast 10 variations of diesel with 10 transmission options to penetrate the market. They can certainly make engine pass emissions but business case is not there for volume and price.
as i said TSX is combined getting 27 to 28mpg. if Euro Accord diesel comes with 35 to 36mpg combined with 5speed auto. than extra cost is not worth it.

Last edited by SSFTSX; 07-01-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:36 AM
Race Director

They can certainly make engine pass emissions but business case is not there for volume and price.
as i said TSX is combined getting 27 to 28mpg. if Euro Accord diesel comes with 35 to 36mpg combined with 5speed auto. than extra cost is not worth it.

Until they see VW and others suceeding in the diesel game and then have to do an about face.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by biker
Until they see VW and others suceeding in the diesel game and then have to do an about face.
I doubt that point has come. VW uses 2.0L diesel engine in 3000 lbs cars. with price point below $25K.
while TSX diesel will weigh atleast 3650 lbs and will cost $35K minimum. so it needs 180bhp diesel whose fuel economy is not better by 25% than gasoline. so volume may not be there. unless Honda creates V6 diesel and introduce it across the line up.

Quick Reply: International Engine of the Year Award **2010 Results (page 2)**