Infiniti: I35 news **FWD Speculation (page 2)**

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008 | 05:04 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally Posted by Whiskers
The 2008 G35 and the 2009 Maxima is basically the same car (Maxima is larger and has the CVT engine, FWD)....You can get the G35 cheaper then the Maxima though...
I think a more fair comparison would be that the Murano and hte Maxima are basically the same. They share almost all the same inner workings on the chassis.

If anything, the G and the Z (also share the same chassis) are more similar.
Old 08-30-2008 | 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by civic4982
I think a more fair comparison would be that the Murano and hte Maxima are basically the same. They share almost all the same inner workings on the chassis.

If anything, the G and the Z (also share the same chassis) are more similar.
G, Z, M, EX, and FX are all based on a the same platform, and therefore more technically similar than the G would be to a Maxima. A G and Maxima being basically the "same car" would be the same as saying a Cobalt is basically the "same care" as a Corvette.
Old 08-30-2008 | 02:24 PM
Go Giants

I test drove the 09 Maxima right after I test drove the 08 G35x. I don't know how much mechanically is different, but the interior was identical and it drove basically the same....The Maxima was larger though...
Old 08-30-2008 | 02:35 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Maxima#2009

The Maxima was redesigned for the 2009 model year and made its debut at the 2008 New York International Auto Show. The newest Maxima (A36) is built on the Nissan D platform sharing this platform with the fourth generation Nissan Altima and second generation Nissan Murano.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_D_platform

The D platform is a front wheel drive automobile platform for midsized cars from Nissan. Slightly smaller than Nissan FF-L platform.

Models
2007+ Nissan Altima
2008+ Nissan Teana
2009+ Nissan Maxima
2009+ Nissan Murano
2008+ Renault Laguna
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_D_platform"
Old 08-30-2008 | 02:51 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by Whiskers
The interior is identical...
Similar shapes and layout.
Old 08-31-2008 | 12:02 PM
Race Director

I see what you guys are saying about that member you dont like. He really does get turned on buy Lexus...
Old 08-31-2008 | 12:53 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
I see what you guys are saying about that member you dont like. He really does get turned on buy Lexus...

Its one thing to get a boner after looking/driving a fine piece of machinery but its another to become a dick , most of us fall in the first category where as 1sicklex falls in the second.

Edit: I think member manual transmission isnt far from joining 1sicklex in that exclusive club either, although sometimes I think he is trying to strike an intelligent argument but then I shake my head and realize that he is just another douche in love with his IS tail pipes.

Last edited by JnC; 08-31-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2008 | 09:57 PM

The Maxima and G do have a similar interior...

Originally Posted by JnC
Its one thing to get a boner after looking/driving a fine piece of machinery but its another to become a dick , most of us fall in the first category where as 1sicklex falls in the second.

Edit: I think member manual transmission isnt far from joining 1sicklex in that exclusive club either, although sometimes I think he is trying to strike an intelligent argument but then I shake my head and realize that he is just another douche in love with his IS tail pipes.

They're both ignorant tools who think their car > *

The worst part about 1sicklex was that he'd always deal out insults but could never take them.... he's a moderator on some other forum (which is great, actually, and will not be named) but whenever someone would smack talk a Lexus, they'd get a ban from him. Meanwhile he would be trolling here on AZ, having nothing to say except Lexus > Acura, basically. I don't recall ever seeing one of his posts where he actually said something good about an Acura.

Ironically for both of them, in their attempts to make Hyundai and Lexus out to be the greatest car companies ever, other people see them as elitist snobs and it ends up making Hyundai and Lexus look bad
Old 09-01-2008 | 04:31 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

See I have no problem saying that most the times I do feel that Lexus is better than Acura, I should know since I own a GS and a TL. What I hate is when idiots try to force their opinion on others by constantly trying to prove how one brand is better than the other.

You cant sit there and preach to a Chevy guy that Ford is better when you know that at some point his is going to snap and going to tell you
Old 01-25-2010 | 07:58 AM
Safety Car

Question Return of the I35

Front-wheel drive cars, no matter how well-engineered, are always a compromise when it comes to being fast. They do enjoy some advantages in terms of packaging and efficiency, but sending power through the wheels doing the steering has obvious shortcomings.

Despite the drawbacks, Infiniti believes there is a market for front-wheel drive luxury vehicles and is considering launching several models based on a platform where the front wheels do the driving.

While popular models like the G and M sedans will remain rear-wheel drive, Nissan’s U.S. chief for product planning, Larry Dominique, has revealed that a new entry-level, front-wheel drive Infiniti, or even a family of vehicles, are under consideration.

Speaking at the recent 2010 Detroit Auto Show, Dominique explained that many buyers in this segment are either unaware or do not care whether a car is front-, rear- or even all-wheel drive, citing buyers of cars like the front-wheel drive TSX and all-wheel drive TL from Acura as an example.

"Those buyers are OK with it," he said.

With Lexus preparing a new small car based on its recent LF-Ch concept and Mercedes-Benz successfully selling its A- and B-Class models overseas, there's a very strong chance Infiniti might launch something along the same lines.

It wouldn't be the first time Infiniti has sold a front-wheel drive vehicle. The I35 sedan was the last front-wheel drive model Infiniti sold before the brand switched its policy to offering only rear-wheel drive models in an effort to raise its status against rivals like BMW and Mercedes-Benz.
Old 01-25-2010 | 09:17 AM

there is a market for front wheel drive luxury cars. i think it'll sell.

looking forward to seeing this.

more options is good for me.
Old 01-25-2010 | 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

I think a lot of people who want cushy luxury are turned off buy the G and by an ES.
Old 01-25-2010 | 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

yeah people don't care about performance. There will always be a market for FWD cars.
Old 01-25-2010 | 11:56 AM
Race Director

So, rebadge the Maxima again?
Old 01-25-2010 | 12:01 PM

maybe not.

With Lexus preparing a new small car based on its recent LF-Ch concept and Mercedes-Benz successfully selling its A- and B-Class models overseas, there's a very strong chance Infiniti might launch something along the same lines.
Old 01-25-2010 | 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by biker
So, rebadge the Maxima again?
Probably. The new I35's will probably be like the TL. A rebadged Maxima (Accord) with optional AWD.

Is that a good thing or bad thing? I don't care because I wouldn't buy one, but for most people thats all they want in a luxury car. The Lexus ES outsells pretty much everything in the class except the almighty 3 series.
Old 01-25-2010 | 01:42 PM
Racer

I don't think they'll rebadge the Maxima. The Maxima already pretty much directly competes with the ES350, so a rebadge would be both pointless and too obvious. I think it'll be a small sedan or hatch to slot under the G and compete with the upcoming production version of the Lexus LF-Ch, possible upcoming sub-TSX Acura, Audi A3, etc. There have also been hints of a possible Infiniti small hybrid and that may be this car.
Old 01-25-2010 | 02:24 PM

the article is vague on it. it mentions the TSX and TL, but then it references smaller cars like the mercedes a and b.

so could be either. regardless, i think it'll be a good move for them.

now...i know everyone's tired of seeing SUVs from infiniti, but i'd like to see an SUV that competes more directly with the X5. so a bit bigger than the FX but smaller than the QX.

and bring the Q!
Old 01-25-2010 | 02:26 PM
I'm the Firestarter

A rebadged Altima is more like it.
Old 01-25-2010 | 11:24 PM
Race Director

So, Infiniti is having both the G25 and the I35 compete against the TSX? I liked the I35, but it didn't offer a 6 speed manual option, but the TSX has a 6 speed manual option.
Old 01-26-2010 | 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mokos23
So, Infiniti is having both the G25 and the I35 compete against the TSX? I liked the I35, but it didn't offer a 6 speed manual option, but the TSX has a 6 speed manual option.
No, the G25 will compete with the TSX, and the I35 will compete with the FWD TL. The G37 will compete with the SH-AWD TL, and the M will compete with the RL. Does that make sense?
Old 01-26-2010 | 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

In reality Nissan will probably import the Teana (google it) and sell it as an Infiniti here. The Teana is the European equivalent of the Maxima and is much more upscale (of course since it's sold in Europe).

The Teana is sold as the "Maxima" in New Zealand and Australia. Check them out:

http://www.nissan.co.nz/passenger/maxima/index.php
http://www.nissan.com.au/webpages/mo...ima_model.html

Looks Infiniti worthy to me, and not much effort would go into producing the car since its already sold in a lot places around the world.
Old 01-26-2010 | 09:45 AM

i'd rather get the maxima than that though...
Old 01-26-2010 | 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by (Cj)
In reality Nissan will probably import the Teana (google it) and sell it as an Infiniti here. The Teana is the European equivalent of the Maxima and is much more upscale (of course since it's sold in Europe).

The Teana is sold as the "Maxima" in New Zealand and Australia. Check them out:

http://www.nissan.co.nz/passenger/maxima/index.php
http://www.nissan.com.au/webpages/mo...ima_model.html

Looks Infiniti worthy to me, and not much effort would go into producing the car since its already sold in a lot places around the world.
Not attractive.
Old 01-26-2010 | 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
i'd rather get the maxima than that though...
haha, but the more I think about it I'm almost 100% sure that they're going to import this as an ES/TL competitor. It even shares a few design cues with the upcoming M sedan.

Infiniti has absolutely no unique models at all. All their models are rebadged Nissans so the only Nissan in the global portfolio that fits the bill as a TL/ES competitor is the Teana.

I expect the Infiniti rebadge to come this year or next year...
Old 01-26-2010 | 10:37 AM

then hopefully, the teana gets a redesign. otherwise, i think they're better off just rebadging the maxima.
Old 01-26-2010 | 11:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

then hopefully, the teana gets a redesign. otherwise, i think they're better off just rebadging the maxima.
haha, the Maxima looks good, but I don't think Infiniti would have a problem selling 2-3K Teana's a month. None of the FWD competition in the $35K price segment look good:

Old 01-26-2010 | 11:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

The ES looks fine.

Consider the audience.
Old 01-26-2010 | 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Infiniti has absolutely no unique models at all. All their models are rebadged Nissans so the only Nissan in the global portfolio that fits the bill as a TL/ES competitor is the Teana.
and the FX is therefore a rebadge of...
Old 01-26-2010 | 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Infiniti has absolutely no unique models at all. All their models are rebadged Nissans
Do u mean globally?

The NA Nissan vehicles dont really share any components with Infiniti's, except ofcourse the 370z.
Old 01-26-2010 | 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Do u mean globally?

The NA Nissan vehicles dont really share any components with Infiniti's, except ofcourse the 370z.
I was assuming he meant globally, since domestically in the U.S. the only model that's a rebadge is the QX.

But globally, the only one that's not a rebadge is the FX.
G sedan/coupe - Skyline
EX - Skyline crossover
M - Fuga
QX - Armada
Old 01-26-2010 | 03:36 PM

the ES is a good looking car, imo. might be a it bland. but it's still a huge improvement over the previous gen.

and like dom said, it's probably good enough for its market. if the previous gen was able to sell like hotcakes....
Old 01-26-2010 | 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
I was assuming he meant globally, since domestically in the U.S. the only model that's a rebadge is the QX.

But globally, the only one that's not a rebadge is the FX.
G sedan/coupe - Skyline
EX - Skyline crossover
M - Fuga
QX - Armada
Thanks, yes I was referring to globally and you're right I was mistaken on the FX. But even so I have my doubts that Infiniti is going to invest in developing this new FWD model from the ground up. I still expect it to be a rebadged global Nissan.

the ES is a good looking car, imo. might be a it bland. but it's still a huge improvement over the previous gen.

and like dom said, it's probably good enough for its market. if the previous gen was able to sell like hotcakes....
Yeah the ES looks good but even so none of the FWD entry lux cars are real head turners (the TL being the exception) so the Nissan Teana would fit in just fine within that class.
Old 01-26-2010 | 04:41 PM

the TL is a head turner for the wrong reason.

but yea. the teana will still sell.
Old 01-27-2010 | 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jedimindtricks
the es is a good looking car, imo. Might be a it bland and known to kill its occupants but it's still a huge improvement over the previous gen.

And like dom said, it's probably good enough for its market. If the previous gen was able to sell like hotcakes....
fixed
Old 01-27-2010 | 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Honestly, the current Maxima (though positioned against the Avalon) should compete sufficiently for Nissan vs. the ES and base TL. I don't see a need for an I35 per se...particularly with a new entry level G on the horizon. What Infiniti could use -- from a brand image point of view -- is a new flagship Q. (The M56 should be sweet but it's the Q that held things together for Nissan until the Ghosn era began. )
Old 01-27-2010 | 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
fixed
who died?
Old 01-27-2010 | 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

who died?

Read up on current events much? Happy Reading
Old 01-27-2010 | 10:00 AM

Old 01-27-2010 | 10:08 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

haha, the Maxima looks good, but I don't think Infiniti would have a problem selling 2-3K Teana's a month. None of the FWD competition in the $35K price segment look good:
You forgot the Audi A4 FWD:

Starts at $31k for the CVT 2.0T but for about $35k you can get one with:

Sports package, heated seats, homelink and bluetooth, rear airbags, Audi Music Interface w/iPod.

So, I would definitely put it in the list with the TSX and ES and it's better looking than either of them.

Quick Reply: Infiniti: I35 news **FWD Speculation (page 2)**