Infiniti: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Looks like a scaled-down Venza....
Not if you ever saw the car in real life.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Firstly, I don't think the Infiniti (also Japanese make) reliability is any worst than Acura.
Honda/Acura has very high reliability and image around the world. Nissan is not even close.

Secondly, sure the Acura lineup will grow, but Acura cars and trucks aren't going nowhere when Acura has been falling way behind most other auto makers in terms of main stream technologies, such as

high-power V6 (300+ hp),
V6 hp-to-displacement ratio,
direct fuel injection,
performance hybrid technology,
V6 turbo-diesel technology,
7 or 8-speed auto tranny,
dual-clutch direct shift tranny,
AWD option in all Acura model lines,
external vehicle styling,

etc., etc.
This technologies wont matter. as Audis are offering all of them and its the biggest luxury maker in China. what Acura brings to the table is higher quality/reliabilty and unique handling characteristics of SH-AWD platforms in MDX/TL/RL. 50% of Acura sales are MDX. this should encourge Acura of introducing RDX.

Thirdly, with a population of over 1.5 billion people living in China, I'm sure 36 Acura dealerships in China are grossly insufficient. As a comparison, US has a population of 0.31 billion people as of now.
Acura is newer brand so 36 dealers is pretty good going. If Acura becomes successful in China. it will give initiative for much bigger lineup for Acura and world wide introduction. Honda is financially the world strongest brand. It has no liabilities like VW to clean Porsche. It can virtually spend unlimited.

CRV sales in China approaching US monthly levels.
http://autonews.gasgoo.com/auto-news...-vehicles.html
Dongfeng Honda returned to normal operation soon. In June alone, the CR-V vehicles produced by the venture sold a record 13,500 units.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Honda/Acura has very high reliability and image around the world. Nissan is not even close.

This technologies wont matter. as Audis are offering all of them and its the biggest luxury maker in China. what Acura brings to the table is higher quality/reliabilty and unique handling characteristics of SH-AWD platforms in MDX/TL/RL. 50% of Acura sales are MDX. this should encourge Acura of introducing RDX.

Acura is newer brand so 36 dealers is pretty good going. If Acura becomes successful in China. it will give initiative for much bigger lineup for Acura and world wide introduction. Honda is financially the world strongest brand. It has no liabilities like VW to clean Porsche. It can virtually spend unlimited.

CRV sales in China approaching US monthly levels.
In my eyes with the Acura i own it has the worst reliability, and is the worst vehicle i have owned. I have had single handidly had more problems with my TL than all my american made vehicles i have owned combined (and i have crossed the million mile mark of driving)! They are no better than any one else. Those Technologies do matter. Some of those brands are more exclusive to people and sell less because of it than Acura. Acura just isnt as large of a name like BMW/MB/Audi as you think they are. Some of us WANT options, I want to choose what my vehicles have. I dont want to pay for a fully loaded car. Not to mention the look like i got shit out of a mule design

Last edited by fsttyms1; 07-07-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Yeah, Nissan wouldn't know anything about the "unique handling characteristics" of the almighty SHAWD. Oh wait, the GT-R has about the most complex and best performing AWD setup in the world. I bet Nissan is sooooo jealous of that SHAWD though....
Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah, nissan wouldn't know anything about the "unique handling characteristics" of the almighty shawd. Oh wait, the gt-r has about the most complex and best performing awd setup in the world. i bet nissan is sooooo jealous of that shawd though....
+1
Old 07-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

WRONG! Nissan's image has improved dramatically in the last 10 years. I contend that 10 years ago, Nissan and Infiniti were in the toilet, but have come an extremely long way in just 10 years. Hyundai is doing what Nissan did now but even quicker and faster then Nissan ever did.

The only thing keeping Nissan's overall reliability down as a brand and their resale values a little lower is their continued problem SUVs and pick-up truck lines that needs to be scrapped and completely revamped and redone like they are doing with the Quest. If they do that, they would improve their reliability and resale even further. Infiniti resale vales are only slightly lower than Acura and Lexus, no where near the big difference your trying to make it out as. Nissan sedans and cross-overs are ranked very well for reliability and quality. I personally love my new Maxima and my Infiniti has been a lot of fun to drive as well.

Last edited by smarty666; 07-08-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts

Audi is considered to be the biggest luxury maker in China. What is Acura in China ?

It's a whole different ballgame selling cars, especially luxury cars, in China. The shopping culture there is that the wealthy people only buy the biggest, fastest, and maddest car money can buy. They are very superficial, they love to show off their wealth whenever, wherever they can.

Acura has nothing to satisfy all these luxury car buyers in China. It has no big-ass V8; no big, hulky car like the A8; no halo sport car like the R8; and no special-tuned divisions like the RS_ and S_ lines.

It's good that Acura has the superb SH-AWD, but it's a pity that there is no 350-400hp motor to maximize it's potential, which makes the SH-AWD seem like a half-full bucket.

As time goes on, Acura in China is going to suffer the same brand recognition problem that haunts the Acura in North America as well as in the rest of the world, unless Acura acts fast to build more powerful motors and use more up-to-date technology in it's future cars and trucks.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Safety Car

Audi is considered to be the biggest luxury maker in China. What is Acura in China ?

It's a whole different ballgame selling cars, especially luxury cars, in China. The shopping culture there is that the wealthy people only buy the biggest, fastest, and maddest car money can buy. They are very superficial, they love to show off their wealth whenever, wherever they can.

Acura has nothing to satisfy all these luxury car buyers in China. It has no big-ass V8; no big, hulky car like the A8; no halo sport car like the R8; and no special-tuned divisions like the RS_ and S_ lines.

It's good that Acura has the superb SH-AWD, but it's a pity that there is no 350-400hp motor to maximize it's potential, which makes the SH-AWD seem like a half-full bucket.

As time goes on, Acura in China is going to suffer the same brand recognition problem that haunts the Acura in North America as well as in the rest of the world, unless Acura acts fast to build more powerful motors and use more up-to-date technology in it's future cars and trucks.
Audi built cars in China and is official government car. Acura is newer brand started only in 2007. and every thing is imported. 36 dealerships are pretty fast going when more than 50% are SUV.
Audi took 30 years to reach that stage. Acura expansion will be faster.
Acura is not suffering in North America. Sells decline is proportional to other brands like Lexus/BMW/MB. despite Acura having lowest offerings.
With in 3 years next generaiton of Hybrids will be released in China.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 07-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Audi built cars in China and is official government car. Acura is newer brand started only in 2007. and every thing is imported. 36 dealerships are pretty fast going when more than 50% are SUV.
Acura is not suffering in North America. Sells decline is proportional to other brands like Lexus/BMW/MB. despite Acura having lowest offerings.
I love how you spew out so much about how great honda and acura is, but don't provide any sources whatsoever.

Please provide a source.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 07-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Everything on this forum turns into an Acura discussion. Its the SAME people repeating their SAME opinion in every thread.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Up until about 2007 I would say Honda/Acura>>>>>>Nissan/Infiniti in terms of reliability, quality and resale value.

Currently though Infiniti has really stepped up in those categories but only time will tell if they have log term reliability...Acura on the other hand seems to have plateaued
Old 07-09-2010, 05:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
I love how you spew out so much about how great honda and acura is, but don't provide any sources whatsoever.

Please provide a source.
Get ready for the off the wall out of nowhere links to god knows what articles.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Get ready for the off the wall out of nowhere links to god knows what articles.
Uh, kinda like your avatar?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Uh, kinda like your avatar?
Yes!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes!
Seriously, that avatar is off the effin wall!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Everything on this forum turns into an Acura discussion. Its the SAME people repeating their SAME opinion in every thread.
I know ruins the threads. i'm all for free speech, but after so many threads getting fucked up for the same reason, it's ban time.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
^ Well, we can't really banhammer people for an opinion...even if it is off to orbit in your mind. It is still an...opinion. That's it.

We may not agree. And we may think it is crazy. But, it's not a personal attack, something derogatory...not ban-worthy.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Punk Rocker

I think banning should be up for a vote. THere is not enough democracy on internet car forums...
Old 07-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Suzuka Master

I think banning should be up for a vote. THere is not enough democracy on internet car forums...
Getting back on topic, i'll only ever buy Honda from now on. It's fact that Hondas are built to last 30 years and nissans are built to last only 5.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Getting back on topic, i'll only ever buy Honda from now on. It's fact that Hondas are built to last 30 years and nissans are built to last only 5.
I hope your kidding on that one! I've had nothing but good luck with Nissan's and I have several relatives and friends who have Nissan products that are over 10 years old and still running great!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by smarty666
I hope your kidding on that one! I've had nothing but good luck with Nissan's and I have several relatives and friends who have Nissan products that are over 10 years old and still running great!
red = sarcasm.

i do own 2 nissans (96 pathfinder beater and 06 M45) and both have been more trouble free, even the 96 pathfinder surprisingly, than my 01 CL-S.

I just said that 'cuz on the monthly car sales thread, that's what the contributor-of-the-year on this board said.

Originally Posted by SSFTSUX
Honda has the highest reliability ratings and highest prices in rest of the world. Toyota and Nissan simply cant charge same price of Honda.
Can u provide any where in the world where Nissan won reliability contest? it is always at the bottom. and this recession cost cutting will even further demolarize workforce. so at the end it will have to buy all the equipment from engines to transmissions to chassis from MB/Renault with almost zero ability of innovation in light weight aerodynamic structures and handling.
It is not a brand it is empty shell. Honda built cars for 30 year life. Nissan built for 5 years.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

red = sarcasm.

i do own 2 nissans (96 pathfinder beater and 06 M45) and both have been more trouble free, even the 96 pathfinder surprisingly, than my 01 CL-S.
sorry, didn't know that. Thanks for the factoid!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewSRX
I don't think you'll have to worry.

My guess is that the new Infiniti will be based off of the Renault Megane, which is considered to be one of the best handling FWD hatchbacks in Europe.

Here's a few more shots of that Renault:

Looks nice from the back and on the inside... but that front needs work. Yikes.

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Everything on this forum turns into an Acura discussion.
Huh, I wonder why that is.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Problem is, at the time, the I35 was just a glamed up, rebadged Maxima and got a lot a criticism at the time for that. I wouldn't mind Infiniti bringing the I35 back but they would need it to be a completely different new model that has no resemblance to the new Maxima what so ever, both on the interior and exterior.
Actually, the I35 (and A33 I30) was a rebadged JDM Nissan Cefiro ...the latter on which the A33 Maxima was based (as opposed to vice versa). Aside from the general exterior contours, the A33 based Infiniti I and Maxima really dont resemble each other. (The interior is a different story though.)
Old 07-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F23A4
Actually, the I35 (and A33 I30) was a rebadged JDM Nissan Cefiro ...the latter on which the A33 Maxima was based (as opposed to vice versa). Aside from the general exterior contours, the A33 based Infiniti I and Maxima really dont resemble each other. (The interior is a different story though.)
well, the I35 and 5G Maxima at the time looked identical from the exterior, with practically identical exterior dimensions/interior dimensions, similar exterior lines in many places and even the interior layout was the same. Also, they shared the same platform, engine, etc. The only really difference between the two at the time was the interior fit/finish, material quality, and some luxury feature things, like heated rear seats, etc and dash illumination (I35 had a greenish color, while the Maxima was a light white I believe). The I35 and 5G Maxima sold in this country at the time did resemble each other tremendously.

That was another reason why Infiniti discontinued it. The Maxima was eating its sales away, b/c all the car mags bitched it was a guised up Maxima and why pay more for that, and b/c the 1G G sedan and coupe became their bread and butter, overshadowing the I35, and Infiniti was going the route of RWD only so that axed the FWD I35!

I would be surprised if the G25 or any other Infiniti for that matter would offer FWD considering for almost 8 yrs now they wanted nothing more to do with it! I suppose with the CAFE stuff and gas prices that could be enough though for them to change their mind on that no FWD position.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Punk Rocker

well, the I35 and 5G Maxima at the time looked identical from the exterior, with practically identical exterior dimensions/interior dimensions, similar exterior lines in many places and even the interior layout was the same. Also, they shared the same platform, engine, etc. The only really difference between the two at the time was the interior fit/finish, material quality, and some luxury feature things, like heated rear seats, etc and dash illumination (I35 had a greenish color, while the Maxima was a light white I believe). The I35 and 5G Maxima sold in this country at the time did resemble each other tremendously.

That was another reason why Infiniti discontinued it. The Maxima was eating its sales away, b/c all the car mags bitched it was a guised up Maxima and why pay more for that, and b/c the 1G G sedan and coupe became their bread and butter, overshadowing the I35, and Infiniti was going the route of RWD only so that axed the FWD I35!

I would be surprised if the G25 or any other Infiniti for that matter would offer FWD considering for almost 8 yrs now they wanted nothing more to do with it! I suppose with the CAFE stuff and gas prices that could be enough though for them to change their mind on that no FWD position.
Just another wonderful thing we can thank NObama for....
Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Just another wonderful thing we can thank NObama for....
Old 07-11-2010, 11:16 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
You have avoided my question ! What is Acura in China ?

What makes Acura in China comparable with the considered-luxury-brand-in-China Audi, and Lexus, and BMW, and MB ?

I agree that the Acura's are selling well in North America, being a luxury-wanna-be brand. Individual Acura cars and trucks are damn good ones. But the brand name is not. Acura is not considered a true luxury brand in NA, even after more than 21 years in existence. Even the latest two Honda presidents openly admitted this fact. They called it the "Acura identity" problem in NA.

It is the brand recognition that Acura is suffering in NA. Acura is having problem selling >$50K cars (a.k.a. the RL) in NA, just because the brand isn't considered luxury enough by the North Americans. Another classic example is the North American VW Phaeton. But Audi doesn't, BMW doesn't, Lexus doesn't, MB doesn't.

Exactly the same brand recognition problem will arise in China as in NA.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Safety Car

You have avoided my question ! What is Acura in China ?

What makes Acura in China comparable with the considered-luxury-brand-in-China Audi, and Lexus, and BMW, and MB ?

I agree that the Acura's are selling well in North America, being a luxury-wanna-be brand. Individual Acura cars and trucks are damn good ones. But the brand name is not. Acura is not considered a true luxury brand in NA, even after more than 21 years in existence. Even the latest two Honda presidents openly admitted this fact. They called it the "Acura identity" problem in NA.

It is the brand recognition that Acura is suffering in NA. Acura is having problem selling >$50K cars (a.k.a. the RL) in NA, just because the brand isn't considered luxury enough by the North Americans. Another classic example is the North American VW Phaeton. But Audi doesn't, BMW doesn't, Lexus doesn't, MB doesn't.

Exactly the same brand recognition problem will arise in China as in NA.
Acura is well recognized brand in North America. It has highest ALG residual rating. among the top in JD reliability survey. Most of its cars are Consumer reports recommended list.
It has no problem selling $45K SUVs at much larger quantity than any other Luxury Brand in NA. It has its own strengths but weakness of standardized products.
Acura 36 dealerships in China is pretty fast growth in 3 years. and with new offerings i am expecting China Acura sales to equal NA american sales.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Punk Rocker

Acura is well recognized brand in North America. It has highest ALG residual rating. among the top in JD reliability survey. Most of its cars are Consumer reports recommended list.
It has no problem selling $45K SUVs at much larger quantity than any other Luxury Brand in NA. It has its own strengths but weakness of standardized products.
Acura 36 dealerships in China is pretty fast growth in 3 years. and with new offerings i am expecting China Acura sales to equal NA american sales.
You gotta be joking. The RX easily outsells the MDX every single month. Where do you get your facts, fantasy land?

If you look at the numbers, the RX outsells all three Acura SUV's by itself:

June 2010

RX ------- 7796
MDX ----- 3847
ZDX ----- 265
RDX ----- 1352

http://forums.trucktrend.com/70/8257...-fo/page2.html

The RX outsold all Acura SUV's combined by 2231 units!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

^ thats easily explainable. Thats because acura isnt looking to sell alot of them because they want the cars to be exclusive
Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

^ thats easily explainable. Thats because acura isnt looking to sell alot of them because they want the cars to be exclusive
I thought it was the same supply problem that the TL suffers from!?!?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Safety Car

You gotta be joking. The RX easily outsells the MDX every single month. Where do you get your facts, fantasy land?

If you look at the numbers, the RX outsells all three Acura SUV's by itself:

June 2010

RX ------- 7796
MDX ----- 3847
ZDX ----- 265
RDX ----- 1352

http://forums.trucktrend.com/70/8257...-fo/page2.html

The RX outsold all Acura SUV's combined by 2231 units!
RX started prices is not the same as MDX. RX has cheaper FWD versions. with all discounts. RX should be cheaper on average
Not to mention MDX is already more than 50% of China Acura sales. Acura is charging $100k for MDX in China.
I tend to think Acura is sending all those TL and RL to China so it is shortage in other markets. so it isnt bother of quickly replacing them.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Punk Rocker

^^^Are you retarded or something? You said that Acura has the best SUV sales in NORTH AMERICA. I proved that you are an idiot with my post and you respond by talking about Chinese sales????? WTF is wrong with you? The RX sells more than twice as many units in NA than the MDX. Period. End of discussion. You are an idiot so stop talking....
Old 07-11-2010, 11:56 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Jesus this shit gives me a headache. Back on topic: nothing wrong with variety. I hope Infiniti makes it happen.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Safety Car

^^^Are you retarded or something? You said that Acura has the best SUV sales in NORTH AMERICA. I proved that you are an idiot with my post and you respond by talking about Chinese sales????? WTF is wrong with you? The RX sells more than twice as many units in NA than the MDX. Period. End of discussion. You are an idiot so stop talking....
Look who is in idiot?. I clearly wrote that Acura sales $45K SUV. RX average prices are nowhere near to MDX. RX is lower than MDX interms of performance, handling , luxury.
RX doest not even compete with Q5 let alone MDX.

It has no problem selling $45K SUVs at much larger quantity than any other Luxury Brand in NA.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Look who is in idiot?. I clearly wrote that Acura sales $45K SUV. RX average prices are nowhere near to MDX. RX is lower than MDX interms of performance, handling , luxury.
RX doest not even compete with Q5 let alone MDX.
I've driven the RX350 and own an 09 MDX so on the luxury part. As far as pricing goes, the base AWD RX and base 10 MDX are only seperated by pocket change.

And honestly, I've yet to come across a new FWD RX in my travels. ...not certain, who would opt for a midsize SUV with FWD only anyway.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4

And honestly, I've yet to come across a new FWD RX in my travels. ...not certain, who would opt for a midsize SUV with FWD only anyway.
Folks in CA and FL and others who don't need AWD.

If Lexus or any other maker would stock the FWD only model it would sell - people just don't ask for it and why would Lexus or anyone else give up the extra money.

Quick Reply: Infiniti: Development and Technology News