Indian Company to Engineer Ferrari Engines **Can India meet standards? (pages 2,3+)**

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Indian Company to Engineer Ferrari Engines **Can India meet standards? (pages 2,3+)**

Indian Company to Engineer Ferrari Engines - - Source: The Car Connection

Ferrari is the latest company to take advantage of low, low labor rates in the nation of India. The racecar company has awarded software giant Tata Consultancy Services a contract to design its Formula 1 engines. The Associated Press reports the Indian engineers will start working with Italian engineers in March. Ferrari confirmed a three-year deal to the news wires, but did not disclose the value of the contract. Tata also performs software engineering for companies such as American Express and IBM, the AP adds.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Thats wild.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good news for india, tata is a huge corporation in india, they produce everything from tea to steel and treat their employees extremely well in comparison to other companies in india. hope this helps the economy even more.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:51 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
with majesty.

Good news for India.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:43 AM
goldmemberererer

Is this an Indian-only reply thread? Has the reply button been disabled for the non-curry professionals on the board?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
can I get a :wtf: ? sorry but the last thing I would expect Ferrari to do would be to consult India for the design of their engines.... great for India, but seriously, what is Ferrari's motive for doing this? to save money? since when are they having trouble? they are one of the wealthiest sports organizations in the world...
Old 12-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by goldmemberer
Is this an Indian-only reply thread? Has the reply button been disabled for the non-curry professionals on the board?
OK, here’s a good ole USA be proud response.

PHUCK INDIA………. They’re already taking too many jobs from America so I guess they’re going after Europe now.
Where do I send money to help Pakistan with their nuclear program?

Old 12-07-2004, 07:21 PM
The hair says it all

ferarri should be only italian, stupid to go to india. they shouldn't even be going out of italy
Old 12-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Instructor

wow some of you guys are ignorant, read up on the tata company and you may understand why ferrari is going there, i am sure the engines will be up to ferrari standard. you also must consider ferrari's motives for this, they are able to make the engines cheaper and make more profit as well as possibly sending some of the savings to the consumes. this is smart business for ferrari or any company for that matter, im sure if you could do the same you would, and lets remember, how many of us will ever own a ferrari? only a few in the crowd will be raising their hands.

how come none of you are complaining about bmw and mb producing cars out of germany, where were your complaints then?

jatt - sat sri akal.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by majesty
how come none of you are complaining about bmw and mb producing cars out of germany, where were your complaints then?
Because they sent business to America not India.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by srika
can I get a :wtf: ? sorry but the last thing I would expect Ferrari to do would be to consult India for the design of their engines.... great for India, but seriously, what is Ferrari's motive for doing this? to save money? since when are they having trouble? they are one of the wealthiest sports organizations in the world...

Only lately is Ferrari doing well financially. And only on a income/size ratio, not overall revenue nor income.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Shawn S

PHUCK INDIA………. They’re already taking too many jobs from America so I guess they’re going after Europe now.

Hehehe....
Old 12-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Python2121
ferarri should be only italian, stupid to go to india. they shouldn't even be going out of italy
That tells you that global outsourcing is invitable for every company looking to shave costs.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

1. Cadillac will be making the CTS and other cars in China starting next year.

2. Chrysler has been making/assemblying tons of cars (Sebring Cabrio, PT Cruiseer, etc.) in Mexico for years now.

3. Why can IBM and ORacle receive services from Indians from India and not Ferrari? Do they have higher standards?

4. I can come up with tons of similar examples. Everyone is looking in cutting cost any way they can and right now outsourcing products and services in developing countries is the trend. It will only accelerate unless the gov/t steps in which they wont aggressively. Accept it.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:47 PM
goldmemberererer

Frankly, brother, think what you want, but it's not like the Indian companies go to Europe/America and ambush people and steal their jobs. If you lost your job (being hypothetical), it's likely that the boss of your boss of your boss of your boss of your boss probably either went to India or took the initiative to approach an Indian firm himself. India, I will say, is handling the jobs & such with a lot of finesse, and it's impressive. With their old govt. in place, I don't think they could've kept up efficiently but the new PM & his staff have really turned things around.

In any case, hate all you want man. I don't think it's India's fault, and it sure as hell ain't the American workers' either. But capitalism puts the rich fucks in charge, so overthrow capitalism to solve your problem. As long as the dollar is king, India will keep getting jobs. Go ahead and nuke India, the Chinese will better learn English and "steal" your jobs. Or maybe this is how Africa will rise. Iuno man, good luck to you.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
India, I will say, is handling the jobs & such with a lot of finesse, and it's impressive. With their old govt. in place, I don't think they could've kept up efficiently but the new PM & his staff have really turned things around.

You have obvioulsy never experienced or worked with anything outsourced to india before. I have 1st hand, and it's nothing like your saying... lots of problems. Not to mention communication barriers...
Old 12-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Banned

Bahahhaha...I see the bean counters are slowly getting into Ferrari. We can kiss the signature tone from the Ferrari engines goodbye to something from a Hindu Temple ....

If I knew I had a Ferrari designed and built in Inidan instead of Italy. I would toss it!...
Why do u buy Italian leather? Because its made in Italy, not China or India!...i think Ferrari will will reliaze this error.

Ferrrari is about Passion first, business 2nd.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:36 AM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by MADCAT
Why do u buy Italian leather? Because its made in Italy, not China or India!

Old 12-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Homeless

Originally Posted by majesty
What are you asking here?

--->Why are we OK with a german car built in germany?
Old 12-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Homeless

Why do u buy Italian leather? Because its made in Italy, not China or India!...i think Ferrari will will reliaze this error.

Sometimes cheaper just equals cheaper...not better...
Old 12-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Unbelieveable.

The GD engines aren't built in Dehli you moofs. They are designed there on a GD computer for about $.00000011/hr vs a hell of a lot more in Italy.

If I owned a corporation that did software or something like that, I guarantee I'd consider India. It's the best way to get things done in the shortest amount of time.

Think about it ... John Smith works on some software for Omegatron, Inc from 9-5 EST then uploads it to a central server and Parag Kumar downloads it and works on it while John's at home asleep. When Parag clocks out, the software goes back up to the server and John keeps working on it while Parag's at home.

Instead of it taking John 30 days to do something, John and Parag could in theory get it done in 15 and for about 120% of what it would cost for just John. Plus development time is cut in half and therefore ROI starts much sooner. That's what globalization is all about.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Sacrilege!!! The Car Connection is blasphemous!!
Old 12-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Homeless

Originally Posted by charliemike
The GD engines aren't built in Dehli you moofs. They are designed there on a GD computer for about $.00000011/hr vs a hell of a lot more in Italy.
I think we understand the semantics...but how can babalooloo in India, whether he is an expert engineer or not, know how to maintain the soul, sound, feel, characteristics of a time-honored & classicaly hand-made design...let alone, he may never have even heard/seen a Ferrari in his entire life.

Put this another way...let's have a Hyundai engineer design the new BMW engine & see if it looks/feels like what BMW owners have come to expect/love over the years...

Better off if they did just build them in India and left the design to people who are more in touch with the soul of the beast...
Old 12-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Preach on brotha Shawn.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:19 PM
The hair says it all

what makes cars built and designed in certain countries is the school of thought which dictates the type of design.

people in italy value certain things, those are all subconciously designed into their cars. same with germans, same with japanese cars, same with american cars. its what gives the cars different character. i would be concerned with losing that character.

i dont know how much that gets applied when your talking about JUST an engine, though, but i think it might be pretty important
Old 12-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Homeless

^^^
Old 12-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Safety Car

Considering the contract was for designing FORMULA ONE ENGINES, I think people are overreacting. Also, Ferrari doesn't send the work to India, the engineers go to Ferraris headquarters to do the work.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:35 PM
goldmemberererer

I would love to think/believe that too, but... doesn't their strategic business move invalidate that fact in totality?
Old 12-08-2004, 04:40 PM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Considering the contract was for designing FORMULA ONE ENGINES, I think people are overreacting. Also, Ferrari doesn't send the work to India, the engineers go to Ferraris headquarters to do the work.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:44 PM
bleh...

I don't know if this will be a good thing or bad thing for Ferrari....lets just hope its good and the performance stays to its roots.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:44 PM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by chris3240929
I think we understand the semantics...but how can babalooloo in India, whether he is an expert engineer or not, know how to maintain the soul, sound, feel, characteristics of a time-honored & classicaly hand-made design...let alone, he may never have even heard/seen a Ferrari in his entire life.
When it comes to an Engine, is Ferrari going to give up 50hp in favor of sound/feel? Will they give up an flat torque curve from a machine-assembled engine and instead have it be hand-made? I'm just saying, the job of an engine is to make as much power as possible in the given budget, however high it may be, and it's no secret that Indian people are, on average, relatively good at mathematics. I don't see the harm, but I'm not advocating it either.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

When it comes to an Engine, is Ferrari going to give up 50hp in favor of sound/feel? Will they give up an flat torque curve from a machine-assembled engine and instead have it be hand-made? I'm just saying, the job of an engine is to make as much power as possible in the given budget, however high it may be, and it's no secret that Indian people are, on average, relatively good at mathematics. I don't see the harm, but I'm not advocating it either.
The key to Ferrari is the passion. The sound, the feel.. It's something that can't specifically be captured or described with math. As stated above, it's the character of the car. I think this is a stupid decision, but it's Ferrari's decision.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:18 PM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
The key to Ferrari is the passion. The sound, the feel.. It's something that can't specifically be captured or described with math. As stated above, it's the character of the car. I think this is a stupid decision, but it's Ferrari's decision.
Agreed.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gavriil
Only lately is Ferrari doing well financially. And only on a income/size ratio, not overall revenue nor income.
and?
Old 12-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

btw F1 is HUGELY popular in India.... so it's not like it's going to a country that knows nothing about F1. Many Indians are big into F1, and they KNOW Ferrari's place in it. You can imagine how ecstatic they are about this opportunity...
Old 12-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Safety Car

If the sound and feel of the engine couldn't be captured with math, then it couldn't be produced. Its not a Ferrari engineers passion that makes the car sound the way it does, its his engineering abilities, and that can be shared with any skilled design team.

The engineers are assisting Ferrari with software and automation, probably something along the lines of finite elements where the engine can be built in the computer and tested without actually building physical engines.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:54 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by chris3240929

Put this another way...let's have a Hyundai engineer design the new BMW engine & see if it looks/feels like what BMW owners have come to expect/love over the years...

Better off if they did just build them in India and left the design to people who are more in touch with the soul of the beast...
times 10000000
couldnt have said it better myself.

so I guess instead of the italian ferarris being pasta rockets we have to call them curry rockets now
Old 12-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
Old 12-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a free market proponent who is anti-union? Wouldn't have thought it. Moreover, taking jobs from???? It's market economics.....deal with it. US companies and US economy need to reorganize to compete. This coming from somebody, who is Indian and who's mother lost her job to outsourcing that went to India. Moreover, fuck who? People there are just trying to make a living like the people here. It might be easier for you to demonize a country rather than face the truth. It is what it is. Cursing other countries is a short sided response. You of all people, Shawn, living near Bethlehem, PA should know what happens to an industry who ignores international market competition. The steel industry completely ignored competition from outside and look at it now. It's an unfortunate thing in the short term but hopefully some growing pains now will help to avoid problems in the future. There needs to be something done to help those who have lost jobs to regain work.

Quick Reply: Indian Company to Engineer Ferrari Engines **Can India meet standards? (pages 2,3+)**