Hyundai: Hurricane SC news

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,803 Likes on 13,985 Posts
Hyundai: Hurricane SC news

Press release...

To showcase the extreme power of Hyundai’s most popular performance car, Hyundai America Technical Center Inc. (HATCI) teamed up with Magnuson Products, Rhys Millen Racing, Harman International and Torvec Inc. to develop and build a special edition prototype Genesis Coupe, the Genesis Hurricane SC. HATCI, Hyundai’s design, technology and engineering branch, will display the high-performance Genesis Coupe in Hyundai’s 2011 SEMA Show booth from November 1-4, 2011 in Las Vegas.

The Genesis Hurricane SC represents a two year development effort by HATCI, as its engineers worked to enhance all aspects of the vehicle including power, traction, braking, exterior and interior design and audio system. Highlighting the performance modifications, HATCI teamed up with Magnuson Products to supercharge Genesis Coupe’s 3.8L V-6 engine with a liquid to air intercooler, producing more than 450 horsepower.

“The HATCI and Magnuson supercharger demonstrates the high-performance potential of Genesis Coupe’s V-6 engine – the car was engineered to handle this kind of extra power,” said David Dutko, senior engineer, HATCI. “Our HATCI engineers have been working for years with Magnuson to ensure high engine output is available on future Hyundai vehicles.”

“The supercharger creates a modest six to seven pounds of boost which generates a 35-45 percent increase in horsepower and torque and can be easily modified to deliver even higher boost levels,” said Terry Peddicord, director, sales, Magnuson Products. “One of the many exciting aspects of this project is that the Genesis Hurricane SC is not just another pretty face for the show circuit, but rather it is a hard working lab-rat that will push the bounds of this car and the whole vehicle segment.”

In addition to the supercharged V-6, Torvec Inc. has been developing its IsoTorque differential with improved handling and traction capability with HATCI engineers at the Hyundai Proving Grounds in California. The IsoTorque differential delivers nearly a one second per lap improvement in the Genesis Coupe on the Hyundai road course.

Beyond the engine, Genesis Hurricane SC has a long and impressive list of both interior and exterior specialty modifications. Hyundai’s long-standing racing partner Rhys Millen Racing (RMR) provided exterior enhancements including a front bumper, grille, hood, side skirts, diffuser and rear deck with spoiler. RMR partners Enkei and Hankook provided the high performance 19-inch wheel and tire assemblies, a RMR free flowing exhaust system and air intake was utilized to free up more engine power. The vehicle also sports upgraded LED headlights and taillights provided by FlyRyde.

The Hurricane’s interior also received some state of the art enhancements including a Harman International high level Lexicon audio system that was tuned in house by HATCI engineers and Katzkin custom premium leather and suede seats accented with blue inserts.

Mechanically, the Hurricane SC has Bilstein monotube shock absorbers and springs with adjustable ride height tuned on the Nurburgring in Germany and a Brembo six piston brake kit with cross drilled front and rear rotors. The engine also received a SPEC lightweight single mass aluminum flywheel and stage two clutch, DeatschWerks high flow fuel pump and 600cc injectors, Perma-Cool oil, differential and steering coolers and a custom CPR Fabrication billet aluminum oil filter adapter.

Additionally, on the SEMA Show floor the numerous parts of the Genesis Hurricane SC will be displayed, providing show-goers the opportunity to experience and interact with the vehicle’s actual hard parts and future developments.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,803 Likes on 13,985 Posts
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Nice. Should be fast and fun to drive.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Not bad!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just cant pass the fact its a hyundai.... but it looks good.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:28 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by acattak
Your statement would have made more sense 10 years ago, I personally use to think like that as well. Lets not hold on to past assumptions, shall we? Honda/Acura is not as good as it use to be 10~20 years ago, same can be said about Korean car makers, they are not as bad as they use to be 10 or so years ago.

In an increasingly competitive market the Koreans keep doing their research, finding what the customers want finding the niche and entertaining it and making profit whilst still making a believer out of non believers. As much as I use to love Honda/Acura products I just cant fathom the idea that does not make any business sense what so ever that Honda can make one poor decision after another making it seem like it is completely oblivious to whats going on in the market.

Sorry, just had to vent as I use to think just like you are right now, a few years back.

Just go ahead and drive one of these, that will change your mind about them.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by acattak
I think some Old World folks may have this thought also.
But it appears this Korean builder is in New World design.
I would like to see a convertible Hurricane.
Good Looking and something to consider in a few years...
Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,217 Likes on 3,988 Posts

With the new body style this is a winner! Forward thinking by Hyundai!
Old 11-06-2011, 02:00 PM
3rd Coast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hyundai is really churning out some impressive machines.