Hyundai: Genesis News

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gear Ratio
You need short gears and at least 7 spd if you want some serious performance. Why the hell do you think cars like Lexus IS-F performs so well in roll-on races? It keeps up or outperforms cars that have 500 hp.

Oh, and no kidding? I'm amazed that the IS-F can keep up with 500 HP cars!

Maybe that because the IS-F also has 416 HP. Which 500 HP car are you even comparing it to? You do realize that a car with 80 more horsepowers doesn't automatically mean it'll be able to leave it behind. In fact, you'd have to look at the torque curve, gearing, power-to-weight ratio, parasitic losses, aerodynamics etc. to even begin to determine which car is more likely to win in a race.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many of you don't seem to know anything about gearing. Haven't you ridden a bicycle that has multiple gears? Go study gear ratios on the web, and to further grasp the idea about gearing go ride a bicycle with multiple gears.

Generally higher number of gears will provide you FASTER acceleration (and deceleration) AND better fuel economy. This will vary depending on the gear ratios of each gear. You would have to be completely stupid if higher number of gears hardly give any performance increase and think is just a bragging rights. Just about all of you in this thread fall in this category.

There maybe a very small increase in acceleration between a 7 spd and 8 spd tranny, but once again, will depend on the gear ratios. If the gears are much closely spaced on the 8 spd it will go faster than the car equipped with a 7 spd. Higher number of gears with closely spaced gears will also do better passing cars in the highways. Your 0-60 can be improved significantly. Your 60- 100 mph will be improved significantly. Your 100- 150 mph will be improved significantly.

And that idiot who said that the 8 spd tranny on the Genesis will be heavier is also ignorant... The upcoming 8 spd tranny will be lighter than the current line up of the 6 spd automatic transmission and there will be less number of moving parts and will be more efficient. You guys like old technology that is inefficient and has slow acceleration? Why don't you go pick up a car that's got 4-spd tranny? Sounds like you guys love the old stuff.

And it is the car with less power (hp and tq) will need close ratio 7 or 8 spd transmission to gain more power to the ground. The reason why the 4th gen Automatic Acura TL has such horrible acceleration performance is because of having only 5 gears, and those gears are ridiculously tall.

Tall Gears = Shit performance
Short Gears = Great performance

You need short gears and at least 7 spd if you want some serious performance. Why the hell do you think cars like Lexus IS-F performs so well in roll-on races? It keeps up or outperforms cars that have 500 hp. This is due to close ratio gears you dumb asses.. Also, why the hell do you think the Mazdaspeed 3 outruns many other competitors in roll races? Nope, it's not only because it's got turbo (higher torque) but also has extremely short gears all the way to the top speed. Only the smart guys like me would pick up one of these cars. As for the Genesis, I cant' comment how good they will be until I review the gear ratios on the upcoming 8 spd platform.

You guys are soooo..... behind.

Your very knowledgible in this subject.

Let me tell you something, the ONLY reason why people are complaining or in doubt is because its Hyundai. If this transmission was made from BMW, MB, or even Lexus, nobody would complain.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by msl82

Let me tell you something, the ONLY reason why people are complaining or in doubt is because its Hyundai. If this transmission was made from BMW, MB, or even Lexus, nobody would complain.
I do believe that's a ban.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by knavinusa

Oh, and no kidding? I'm amazed that the IS-F can keep up with 500 HP cars!

Maybe that because the IS-F also has 416 HP. Which 500 HP car are you even comparing it to? You do realize that a car with 80 more horsepowers doesn't automatically mean it'll be able to leave it behind. In fact, you'd have to look at the torque curve, gearing, power-to-weight ratio, parasitic losses, aerodynamics etc. to even begin to determine which car is more likely to win in a race.
While we are on the topic of the IS-F, a criticism I have seen come up in articles/reviews is that it has too many gears. The problem being the car hunts/has to change down too many gears for passing type situations, etc.

Sure, you can cram more gears in a tranny, but if it sacrifices overall driveability, what's the point? As knavinusa was eluding too on another point,....there is a lot more to consider than just gear ratios.

Last edited by West6MT; 09-10-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

This right here is why everybody on this forum wants to blindside you with the big ass ban-stick.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by West6MT
While we are on the topic of the IS-F, a criticism I have seen come up in articles/reviews is that it has too many gears. The problem being the car hunts/has to change down too many gears for passing type situations, etc.

Sure, you can cram more gears in a tranny, but if it sacrifices overall driveability, what's the point? As knavinusa was eluding too on another point,....there is a lot more to consider than just gear ratios.
Then put it in SS mode and shift it manually. Keep in mind, the gear ratios in the IS-F is designed for speed (performance), not for grandpa cruising. This is the point, you dumb ass. Stop your whining.... Go drive your 4 spd automatic and have shitty acceleration and poor gas mileage.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Banned

Amen...
Old 09-18-2009, 07:59 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Amen...
The only person I've ever seen agree with msl82 is "Manual Transmission".... drumroll please? Either that or its msl under another name, because no one can possibly be that retarded to agree with him.

How's the IS350? No one could possibly sackride the IS so hard and come out so brash with their first posts like this unless it was a previous member.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
The only person I've ever seen agree with msl82 is "Manual Transmission"....

Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
'Gear Ratio', 'Manual Transmission',..........mmmmm....

Both agreeing with Msl82?

Coincidence?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
'Gear Ratio', 'Manual Transmission',..........mmmmm....

Both agreeing with Msl82?

Coincidence?
I think a general IP check is in order.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
The only person I've ever seen agree with msl82 is "Manual Transmission".... drumroll please? Either that or its msl under another name, because no one can possibly be that retarded to agree with him.

How's the IS350? No one could possibly sackride the IS so hard and come out so brash with their first posts like this unless it was a previous member.
MT isn't MSL82. The amount of retardation MT would have to willingly put into his posts to sound like MSL would probably cause bleeding from the ears and eyes.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:48 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

did you guys miss post 1074? He's been banned.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom
did you guys miss post 1074? He's been banned.
We were kinda hoping his brother in arms would get the same stellar service.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Then put it in SS mode and shift it manually. Keep in mind, the gear ratios in the IS-F is designed for speed (performance), not for grandpa cruising. This is the point, you dumb ass. Stop your whining.... Go drive your 4 spd automatic and have shitty acceleration and poor gas mileage.

I think your response ^^ is more than enough for everyone to see how stupid you are. There is no point addressing your blather, as you clearly wont understand the points being made based on your response above. I'm not willing to waste time talking to someone that doesn't show respect to other AZ members anyway.

Nominee for the next round of the ban games???

Last edited by West6MT; 09-18-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Looks like he got banned.

Carry on
Old 01-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Angry Not Sure What Thread This Should Go In but ....

File this one under the dangers of mixing traditional Brick & Mortar business practices with the immediacy and transparency of the internet. Glenn Hyundai of Lexington, Kentucky placed a slightly used Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T on eBay Motors. There was no reserve, and a gencoupe.com forum member named McFly made a bid of $16,125 and won the auction (here's a PDF of the auction in case the eBay link goes dead).

Not a bad price, especially as the Gen Coupe in question had less than 5,000 miles on it and costs over $22,000 when new. McFly then secures financing from his bank to pay for the Coupe, makes the necessary travel arrangements to go pick up his car (he doesn't live in Kentucky) and calls the dealer to put down a deposit with his credit card. This is when things begin to go bad. We'll let McFly take it from here:
I talk to the front desk secretary, ask her how to make my deposit for an Internet Sales deal I have, and she immediately transfers me to Eric Manley. I talk to Eric briefly and he laughs at me over the phone, "Sorry buddy but you're not getting it for that price, he says." I tell him it's a deal that I have worked out with the Internet Sales guy, and I'm ready to make the deposit. He laughs at me again, and says, "sorry buddy, not for that price." It's obvious that this guy knows nothing about it, but it's odd that he won't let me make my deposit. He's clearly either confused or not the right guy.
Youch – and you know there's a Hyundai Assurance joke in there somewhere. No one wants to be laughed at, especially when you won the car in question fairly and in a legal manner on an eBay auction. McFly doesn't give up, and eventually finds out that the owner's name is Cy Dicken. He gets in touch with a guy named Tad, who called McFly supposedly to take his credit card info. It turns out that Tad is the person who placed the Genesis Coupe on eBay in the first place. More from McFly:
Tad tells me that he's the one that made the deal (listed the ebay auction), and there is no way I'm getting it for that price, and that he doesn't care about the Legal Binding Contract that they have (the ebay auction), I'm not getting the deal.

We argue back and forth for a while. He offers a Christmas card, and then a Turkey [sic] for compensation, while I tell him that I have a "Legal Binding Contract" from them and that I'm not going away until I get my car or some compensation for this headache that they've put me through." He then says, that "Sorry, car has already been sold, so you can't have it it's gone."

...He says "we're going around in circles, you're not getting the car that I don't have here to sell you, and definitely not for that price. You've had a few people hang up on you already, why continue this. Didn't I tell you I was the owner." All lies of course, as I tell him "No you told me that you were Tad, not Cy Dicken, and everyone has been real nice so far, no ones hung up on me."
Ooof... It goes on and on like this – long story short, McFly didn't get the car at that price. We saw a similar case a while back when a Nebraska BMW dealer refused to honor an auction for a $60,000 M3. Due to pressure, they eventually caved in and agreed to let the car go for the price they sold it for. Still, you got to wonder if the few thousand dollars both of these dealers feel they deserve is worth the headaches and bad press.

We contacted Glenn Hyundai to get their side of the story, but were passed around before ultimately being hung up on. We then contacted Hyundai USA, who told us, "We expect our dealers to contract in good faith with customers. We do not know the details of this transaction. But we hope the dealer and customer in question can come to a mutually beneficial agreement." We'll keep you posted if McFly's situation changes.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow, that's bad. Not the kind of image you want to spread around. I wonder if the guy retained a lawyer? I can't imagine the dealer would have been able to get around the contract. Hardly seems fair. If the tables were turned and the buyer had wanted to back out of the deal, I'm sure the dealer would have refused.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
File this one under the dangers of mixing traditional Brick & Mortar business practices with the immediacy and transparency of the internet. Glenn Hyundai of Lexington, Kentucky placed a slightly used Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T on eBay Motors. There was no reserve, and a gencoupe.com forum member named McFly made a bid of $16,125 and won the auction (here's a PDF of the auction in case the eBay link goes dead).

Not a bad price, especially as the Gen Coupe in question had less than 5,000 miles on it and costs over $22,000 when new. McFly then secures financing from his bank to pay for the Coupe, makes the necessary travel arrangements to go pick up his car (he doesn't live in Kentucky) and calls the dealer to put down a deposit with his credit card. This is when things begin to go bad. We'll let McFly take it from here:
I talk to the front desk secretary, ask her how to make my deposit for an Internet Sales deal I have, and she immediately transfers me to Eric Manley. I talk to Eric briefly and he laughs at me over the phone, "Sorry buddy but you're not getting it for that price, he says." I tell him it's a deal that I have worked out with the Internet Sales guy, and I'm ready to make the deposit. He laughs at me again, and says, "sorry buddy, not for that price." It's obvious that this guy knows nothing about it, but it's odd that he won't let me make my deposit. He's clearly either confused or not the right guy.
Youch – and you know there's a Hyundai Assurance joke in there somewhere. No one wants to be laughed at, especially when you won the car in question fairly and in a legal manner on an eBay auction. McFly doesn't give up, and eventually finds out that the owner's name is Cy Dicken. He gets in touch with a guy named Tad, who called McFly supposedly to take his credit card info. It turns out that Tad is the person who placed the Genesis Coupe on eBay in the first place. More from McFly:
Tad tells me that he's the one that made the deal (listed the ebay auction), and there is no way I'm getting it for that price, and that he doesn't care about the Legal Binding Contract that they have (the ebay auction), I'm not getting the deal.

We argue back and forth for a while. He offers a Christmas card, and then a Turkey [sic] for compensation, while I tell him that I have a "Legal Binding Contract" from them and that I'm not going away until I get my car or some compensation for this headache that they've put me through." He then says, that "Sorry, car has already been sold, so you can't have it it's gone."

...He says "we're going around in circles, you're not getting the car that I don't have here to sell you, and definitely not for that price. You've had a few people hang up on you already, why continue this. Didn't I tell you I was the owner." All lies of course, as I tell him "No you told me that you were Tad, not Cy Dicken, and everyone has been real nice so far, no ones hung up on me."
Ooof... It goes on and on like this – long story short, McFly didn't get the car at that price. We saw a similar case a while back when a Nebraska BMW dealer refused to honor an auction for a $60,000 M3. Due to pressure, they eventually caved in and agreed to let the car go for the price they sold it for. Still, you got to wonder if the few thousand dollars both of these dealers feel they deserve is worth the headaches and bad press.

We contacted Glenn Hyundai to get their side of the story, but were passed around before ultimately being hung up on. We then contacted Hyundai USA, who told us, "We expect our dealers to contract in good faith with customers. We do not know the details of this transaction. But we hope the dealer and customer in question can come to a mutually beneficial agreement." We'll keep you posted if McFly's situation changes.
Well, it is about the Genesis Coupe...so, into the thread it goes. It also could be a Car Talk topic since it's not really automotive-industry related news...
Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Didn't that same thing happen with an M3 a while back?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Didn't that same thing happen with an M3 a while back?
Yes and was mentioned in the article you didn't fully read
Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike

I was just checking if you fully read.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
ooo
hope you guys don't mind me posting link to that guy's thread about the 16k deal..

http://www.gencoupe.com/general-disc...ing-honor.html
Old 01-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Old 01-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
that sucks for that guy. i bet he eventually gets the car
Old 01-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
that sucks for that guy. i bet he eventually gets the car
The dealership supposedly sold that very car.

Then a friend of the new owner posted with pictures claiming that it has been sold.

The plot.... it thickened.

McFly, the winning bidder of the auction, seems to be weighing on citing the Kentucky bait-and-switch laws against the dealership.

All I can say is best wishes to the guy. I hope he wins and gets compensated on a different Genesis Coupe.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:12 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

You tell 'em McFly....don't let 'em push you around like Biff!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:00 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

You tell 'em McFly....don't let 'em push you around like Biff!
sonofabitch. i was already on my way to post this
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by jjashaa
ooo
hope you guys don't mind me posting link to that guy's thread about the 16k deal..

http://www.gencoupe.com/general-disc...ing-honor.html
Says he's come to an agreement with the dealer.

Stuff like this pisses me off. You offered the car. It sold fair and square but now you wanna back out. I guarantee they would raise bloody hell if a buyer did the same but since they are a dealer I guess Ebay rules don't apply to them. Glad to see it was resolved....
Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Cool Update

This ended about how we predicted. You all no doubt remember McFly, the guy that won a legit eBay auction for a slightly used Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T for $16,125. Problem was that the seller – Glenn Hyundai of Lexington, KY – felt the car was worth more ($19,700) and refused to sell it to McFly. They claim they set a reserve price (even though they didn't) and wouldn't budge. End of story, kind of.

See, the internet got a hold of the McFly's tale of woe, and few things excite people (us included) more than tales of bald-faced greed mixed with dishonest car dealers. Not surprisingly, the story took off like wildfire and Glenn Hyundai soon found itself inundated with phone calls, emails, faxes – you name it. The onslaught became so bad that Glenn Hyundai got in touch with McFly and told him that if he would call off his dogs (remove his forum posts, plead with Gencoupe.com forum members to stop harassing the dealership, somehow get Digg.com to do... exactly what we're not sure, etc.) they would presumably sell him a Genesis Coupe for $16,125.

Why do we say presumably? Because we never knew the details of the agreement McFly worked out with Glenn Hyundai. Or, as McFly puts it an updated post, "For the record I have not shared any part of the verbal agreement." Despite this agreement never being finalized, some felt that McFly's saga was over (while some nearly broke their hands patting themselves on the back). We ourselves were reluctant to think or declare anything until McFly had the Genesis Coupe in hand. Guess what?

No Genesis Coupe 2.0T for McFly. He's claiming that Glenn Hyundai has breached the "verbal agreement" he reached with them. He's refusing to give any details of said verbal agreement, but maintains that Glenn Hyundai owes him a Gen Coupe for $16,125. Also, McFly's retained a lawyer. Also-also, he's contacted Hyundai USA but received no response. We'll keep you updated. Thanks to Bora for the heads up!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
I got the Shifts

epicness coming soon?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
I got the Shifts

gotta wonder if the price of a lawyer will offset the savings...
Old 01-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by phee
gotta wonder if the price of a lawyer will offset the savings...

Agreed, but at this point it seems to be more about the principal than the savings.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
We learned a few more interesting facts about the 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T today in New York. First, its twin-scroll turbocharged, direct-injected 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine is longitudinally mounted (yes, even though the Sonata is front-wheel-drive and even though it sort of looks transverse at a glance).

The significance? This 274-hp engine will likely replace the weak-sauce 2.0-liter turbo (210 hp) currently used in the rear-drive Genesis Coupe 2.0T.
Source: Edmunds
Old 03-31-2010, 03:46 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Just what I asked for.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting. Longitudinally mounted engine in an FWD car?

EDIT: Come to think of it, I guess Audi does that too. but they do it because it makes it easier to add the center differential for AWD. Makes me wonder if they might offer AWD on the Sonata as well.

Last edited by knavinusa; 03-31-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:43 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Video: Hyundai steps in for Porsche, offers to take on Mini at Road Atlanta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaiB_...layer_embedded

brilliant.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
meh....beating a Hyundai Genesis just doesn't have the same impact as beating a Porsche 911.

One is a legend.....the other...not so much.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:49 PM
hail to the victors

that's why this is a brilliant marketing by Hyundai. it's a win-win for hyundai, but lose-lose for Mini.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Low is a Lifestyle.

lol....
i really gotta give it to hyundai.
as a car company they are doing everything right. they definitely did their homework.

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Genesis News