Hyundai: Genesis News

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:06 AM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
I wouldn't mind.... but age requirements?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:19 AM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^ Good question.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:07 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DARN YOU CALIFORNIANS!!

why can't we do that stuff in chicago!! i'll go to church and be a good boy!!
Old 04-16-2008, 03:03 PM
styling on you

Any updates on this test drive event?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was shocked SHOCKED to see the commercials during the super bowl. all my friends were like "nice car!" and then we saw its a hyundai. we were all shocked. i must say, if the car really delivers what it says it will, all the other manufacturers are gonna' have to watch out.

btw, samsung, daewoo, hyundai/kia, LG are all conglomerates in korea. they build everything from electronics, home appliances, huge sprawling condo complexes, contruction equipment, etc., etc., etc. most of them are in at least 8-10 different industries.

cars are really expensive in korea. hence the popularity of KDM sonatas and elantras. they also have cars that are even smaller than the honda fit since that's what most people can afford. if you have a sonata, yer' actually well-to-do. if you have anything other than that, you are in the affluent bracket of society...

if you watch them korean dramas, you'll actually see the car-to-social-status connection. imports like lexus, bmw, and mb are also highly regarded as status symbols more so than about the cars themselves. that also explains why so much dang korean people living in the u.s. have euro cars - they see it as a status symbol.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:20 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,049 Likes on 1,480 Posts
like I've been saying for a couple years now.... S.Korea is rising, and rising fast....
Old 04-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
like I've been saying for a couple years now.... S.Korea is rising, and rising fast....
Considering that the peninsula was left in utter, complete devastation in the 50's after the Korean War, it's a miracle. Korea came from ruins to one of the highest GDP countries in the world in about 4 decades or so. By 2025, Korea is expected to be the 3rd richest country in the world.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Considering that the peninsula was left in utter, complete devastation in the 50's after the Korean War, it's a miracle. Korea came from ruins to one of the highest GDP countries in the world in about 4 decades or so. By 2025, Korea is expected to be the 3rd richest country in the world.
Just curious..

Are you Korean, or is your Korean knowledge from Hyundai compliance training at work?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by sipark
Just curious..

Are you Korean, or is your Korean knowledge from Hyundai compliance training at work?
100% Korean, born and raised in Seoul until I moved to the U.S. I've spent exactly half my life in each country at this point.

The training I've received at Hyundai has not taught me many new things about Korea or the auto industry. Not to say that the training is inadequate; I'm just not in the target demographic.

In other news; the Genesis Sedan and the Genesis Coupe (along with the next generation Elantra Touring, but I don't know if that excites anybody here) will arrive and be in my possession tomorrow morning. It's the silver one of the duo they used at the NY auto show unveiling; V6 6-speed. I don't know how it happened, but I've convinced several people to give me the green light to take it out on our test track on site. I'll post a thread later with my impressions of it.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Race Director

yeah that would be nice!
Old 04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
I don't know if this a repost but heres some video reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8oK...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8GEz...eature=related
Old 04-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SRK85
^ Remove this post right now. I'm not asking you.....

These are OLD reviews performed by that cranky Korean journalist months ago. It was already talked about SEVERAL pages back in this thread!!
Old 04-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission
^ Remove this post right now. I'm not asking you.....
Now now...
Old 04-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Banned

You have the right to be silent.

The information below has already been posted as well. Browse through ALL pages in this thread and you will see it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/27/h...an-journalist/

Hyundai Motor America responds to cranky South Korean journalist

"Posted Mar 27th 2008 3:42PM by John Neff
Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Hyundai

A few weeks back we posted a video of a South Korean automotive journalist performing one of the first road tests of the new Hyundai Genesis sedan, albeit the South Korean market model. Without getting into too much detail, he didn't like it and complained of body roll, mushy brakes, tires not up to the task, etc. It was as if someone gave this guy a Buick when he was expecting a BMW.

Hyundai Motor America was caught off guard by this video and contacted us with their concern. According to them, the U.S.-spec version of the Genesis sedan and the South Korean version are markedly different, with the Yank-ified version tuned much more for a sporty driving experience. The South Korean market, we're told, favors a different kind of large luxury sedan, one that's softer, more luxurious, and to be blunt, more Buick-like.

So we asked Hyundai, "What's so different about the U.S.-spec version?" While they couldn't divulge all the details, we were told that the U.S. version with have a 31% higher spring rate in the front and 13% higher in the rear. In fact, they say the entire suspension will feature many different components geared more towards dynamic driving, including different springs, shocks and tires. Will it live up to Hyundai's promise of a premium sports sedan? We'll let you know after we drive the U.S.-spec Genesis, a car which this South Korean journalist might enjoy a hell of a lot more than the one he drove."

PWNed?

Next.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phile
Now now...
There are so many people that try to put down on Hyundai. You gotta defend baby... defend....

Hmm or maybe I over reacted. Didn't mean to get too harsh on him. YES that's a repost and it's the WORST and BADEST repost ever. You just got the wrong one this time. Someone needs to go find that journalist's home address and go kick him in the a$$.... Can't stand that guy.

Last edited by Manual Transmission; 04-27-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
In other news; the Genesis Sedan and the Genesis Coupe (along with the next generation Elantra Touring, but I don't know if that excites anybody here) will arrive and be in my possession tomorrow morning. It's the silver one of the duo they used at the NY auto show unveiling; V6 6-speed. I don't know how it happened, but I've convinced several people to give me the green light to take it out on our test track on site. I'll post a thread later with my impressions of it.
!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:00 AM
intelligentsia

You have the right to be silent.

The information below has already been posted as well. Browse through ALL pages in this thread and you will see it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/27/h...an-journalist/

Hyundai Motor America responds to cranky South Korean journalist

"Posted Mar 27th 2008 3:42PM by John Neff
Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Hyundai

A few weeks back we posted a video of a South Korean automotive journalist performing one of the first road tests of the new Hyundai Genesis sedan, albeit the South Korean market model. Without getting into too much detail, he didn't like it and complained of body roll, mushy brakes, tires not up to the task, etc. It was as if someone gave this guy a Buick when he was expecting a BMW.

Hyundai Motor America was caught off guard by this video and contacted us with their concern. According to them, the U.S.-spec version of the Genesis sedan and the South Korean version are markedly different, with the Yank-ified version tuned much more for a sporty driving experience. The South Korean market, we're told, favors a different kind of large luxury sedan, one that's softer, more luxurious, and to be blunt, more Buick-like.

So we asked Hyundai, "What's so different about the U.S.-spec version?" While they couldn't divulge all the details, we were told that the U.S. version with have a 31% higher spring rate in the front and 13% higher in the rear. In fact, they say the entire suspension will feature many different components geared more towards dynamic driving, including different springs, shocks and tires. Will it live up to Hyundai's promise of a premium sports sedan? We'll let you know after we drive the U.S.-spec Genesis, a car which this South Korean journalist might enjoy a hell of a lot more than the one he drove."

PWNed?

Next.

I know hes bashing it. I'm not I actually like the genesis I just didn't see any movies showing the whole car inside and out.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SRK85
I know hes bashing it. I'm not I actually like the genesis I just didn't see any movies showing the whole car inside and out.
Yea i know what u mean. Actually I came on too harsh in my previous posts. I didn't mean personally to you. I was real upset with that journalist who pissed the crap on the Genesis it has been spread out to the many internet sources. My apologies.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLyoung'un
!
+1!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:29 PM
intelligentsia

Yea i know what u mean. Actually I came on too harsh in my previous posts. I didn't mean personally to you. I was real upset with that journalist who pissed the crap on the Genesis it has been spread out to the many internet sources. My apologies.
HAHA its ok I thought the journalist was Chinese since it also had subtitles. I mean Hyundai has been doing pretty well but the only car I would buy from them is the genisis since the other cars do not appeal to me.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Dragging knees in

Genesis Coupe Thread #2

Some of you may remember my Genesis sedan prototype thread from a while ago. At the time, I mentioned that I will also be getting a Genesis Coupe.

Well, the Genesis Coupe arrived as scheduled early this morning. It was transported directly from the Atlanta auto show. She arrived with her Genesis sedan sibling and the next generation Elantra Touring.

This Genesis sedan seems to be a full U.S. spec version with back-up camera, U.S. navigation system, etc. Very, very impressive. Unfortunately, it did not have the Tau engine onboard.

Anyway, onto the Coupe. It's the silver one they used at the NY auto show, and it has a turbocharged inline-4 engine with a 6-speed manual transmission with Brembo calipers all around.

I'll break it down into categories for your reading pleasure --

1. Exterior

The car has good proportions and I like the overall flow of the exterior design. But I find myself still getting used to that curve at the bottom of the rear window near the c-pillars. It's not bad; just different and takes some getting used to. If anything, it sets the car apart from its competitors. The rear end looks great, although I'm disappointed that they did not use LEDs. The trunk is adequate for a coupe. It could accommodate two golf bags with not much difficulty.

The front bumper was a disappointment. The plastics look cheap and the front grille is too small for my taste. As it uses the same chassis as the Genesis sedan, it is definitely not a small coupe and the grille should have been bigger to match the overall proportions. But nothing an aftermarket bumper can't fix. The front end carries the overall theme of the concept vehicle but cost reduction can be a bitch once you reach the production vehicle stage. Even just a few pennies matter at this point, so I guess it's understandable. To be fair, I didn't expect the production version to carry the carbon fiber pieces but it was still a bit lacking nonetheless.

When you open the doors while the windows are closed, the windows will come down half an inch as soon as you pull on the door handle. Then when you close the doors, the windows will extend back into their slots for a tight seal. Neat.

2. Interior

As soon as I slid into the comfortable, supportive and awesome-looking sport seats, the interior was very inviting and user-friendly. Everything was within reach and pretty clear to read and use. It's laid out very nicely and the buttons on the dash have a solid feel to it when you push them. None of that cheap plasticky, springy feel.

Back to the seats; this one had black seats with red inserts of mesh type material. I love them. Probably one of the best factory seats I've sat in.

This one had a transponder, keyless ignition system. The push button start is very cool and the transponder unit has a very sleek and modern design to it. The physical key is built into it as a back-up in case power fails and you still need to get inside the car.

Rear seats are as expected on any 2+2 coupes. Don't expect to be comfortable back there on long jaunts. But for a short period of time, you can carry 4 people.

3. Drivetrain

Gorgeous 19" wheels all around shod with Potenza 050A tires. These wheels are sharp and if I were to get a Coupe with these wheels from the factory, I see no need to swap them out.

Nested behind these wheels are red Brembo calipers all around; 6-pots in the front and 4-pots in the rear. Holy cow these babies can smash your brain against the front of your skull. They will stop you in a hurry and I mean stop in a hurry. My 4-pot Rotora BBK system felt like a toy compared to these. I seriously hope that these make it to the options list at a reasonable price.

Chassis felt nice and collected and absorbed big speed bumps okay. Sport-tuned suspension riding on 19" wheels wrapped in rubber band tires will make your teeth hurt in any car, but this was alright. I like my suspension stiff and tight, anyway. If you want a plush ride, then go with a smaller wheel option.

4. Powertrain

Perhaps it's because I'm used to the smoothness of a Honda V6, perhaps it's because this car has been beaten to death and brought back to life on many occasions. But the I-4 did not like to sing and on upshifts, I found myself waiting for the revs to come down before engaging the clutch again. I would say it's kind of hesitant/reluctant to rev up and down. Then again, I didn't get a chance to REALLY wind it out so I will reserve my opinion on this until I have a chance to do so. I had to tell myself that this is still a prototype and the production version is still months and months out. Lots of time to fine-tune the powertrain.

5. Overall

I'm buying one. No question about it. I'll be putting myself on the list through our Team Member purchase program as soon as it becomes available in the system.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow. As soon as I unloaded them and staged them this morning, I was in a hurry to work on a couple of projects so I didn't get a chance to snap photos.

Ciao.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:28 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Wow, wait, 6-piston calipers in the front and 4-pistons in the rear? Hyundai is serious.... but it'll take an official test drive before anything. Very interesting.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:37 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
I can't wait to drive one.

Specifically the V6 6-speed

From what you've heard, what are the exhaust notes like? Have you heard the V6 model?

Hopefully it has a nice tone to it.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
sounds awesome. can't wait for the pics.
what is the funtionality of the windows lowering when you pull the door handle?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 AM
That was uncalled for...

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
sounds awesome. can't wait for the pics.
what is the funtionality of the windows lowering when you pull the door handle?
Mercedes'/ AMGs have that. If the window is frame less, it creates a tight seal. I didn't realize the Gensis had frameless windows.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:19 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

thanks again for the review, PA.

are you getting the V6 or 4cyl?

do you know when these are supposed to hit dealers?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:25 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Promising. Any idea if they plan to release a smaller sedan based on that platform? Possibly using the mechanicals from the coupe?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:30 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by dom
Promising. Any idea if they plan to release a smaller sedan based on that platform? Possibly using the mechanicals from the coupe?

that would be heavenly...

as much as i like the genesis sedan, it's a bit too big. if they made a high performance sports sedan ala G35...
Old 04-29-2008, 10:08 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

that would be heavenly...

as much as i like the genesis sedan, it's a bit too big. if they made a high performance sports sedan ala G35...

Exactly. The Genesis sedan is too big for me as well and I have no use for a coupe. I'm sure they've at least thought about it. Maybe Adrenaline can tell us more.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:25 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
yeh alot of Acura owners will go see this car.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

when is the V8 coming?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-29-2008, 04:57 PM
luvs redheads!

I am confused....are you saying you have the ACTUAL car used at the auto show??

Also pics needed!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Back in a TL again.

suite, sounds promising!!!!

now we need
Old 04-29-2008, 05:55 PM
styling on you

This was at Cars and Coffee... a different thing then Pure Adrenaline. Just posting these pics to hold us over.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Back in a TL again.

those seats are
Old 04-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Sec ... What were the materials like? Did the car appear to be worth $30k?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 PM
That was uncalled for...

Damn, she looks good in red.

Remember, those pictures are of pre-production cars. The production materials will be different.

Infinity Audio system, Bluetooth connectivity, Satellite radio, 6 discs with MP3 capability, and AUX input, that's awesome

Last edited by S A CHO; 04-29-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Back in a TL again.

i want to see one in white
Old 04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Just dial 1911

I have to say I'm very intrigued by the coupe from the review I read in one of the car rags...

No doubt it has the looks...Quality is still a question in my book...

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Genesis News