Hyundai: Genesis News

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
doesnt matter, acura doesnt offer 6mt.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:59 PM

and I suppose thats going up against the Ford fusion sport which doesnt have 6MT
Old 11-30-2016, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Yup. I wouldn't hold my breath, waiting a manual transmission.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:16 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Acura doesn't have any sports sedans in its line up so I wouldn't think it's relevant that Acura doesn't have 6MT.

The Fusion Sport at 4100lb + is too porky to be a 3-series competitor and/or a true sports sedan....

On the other hand this Kia GT is supposed to be a proper RWD sports sedan that is targeted to the 3-series crowd....hence I'd imagine people may have more expectation and would like to have 6MT as an option?
Old 11-30-2016, 01:18 PM

^but like you said...if it weighs like the other siblings, its not going to be a true "sport" competitor....so who cares if 6MT or not?
the only ppl that are going to be interested in this are previous kia buyers.

surely, its not taking away sales from the 3-series. or 4-series, or whatever their called now
Old 11-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Team Owner

It looks way bigger than any 3 series. Looks more like a 5 series in size.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:46 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea if it's like its siblings, then it will be too heavy and not exactly sporty. So it does depend on what sort of market the car is going after.

By going RWD and hiring a ex BMW VP of engineering, I'd think Hyundai has higher ambition than selling to previous Kia owners. My view is that those previous owners probably don't care too much about RWD or not. If they do care about RWD, then they will probably care about 6MT, driving dynamics, weight, etc.

Put it this way, if they were to build a proper sports sedan with RWD and a turbocharged V6 engine, but doesn't offer manual and also make the car heavy, then that seems a bit contradictory to me.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Acura Engineers: "let's just design boats!"
Acura engineers: "let's make it float on water too"
Old 11-30-2016, 05:58 PM
Team Owner

Why? It's a sedan with some pep to it. That's it. You don't have to build an underpowered FWD sedan for everyone, you know. Kia didn't make it RWD for hooning purposes. There was a time when all cars were RWD. This thing is no different. Kia just decided to go with the more "risqué" setup, as opposed to the safe and boring FWD setup.

I know being a Honda/Acura owner, that is likely foreign to you, but don't worry. You can be saved. Just look beyond Honda/Acura
Old 11-30-2016, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Why? It's a sedan with some pep to it. That's it. You don't have to build an underpowered FWD sedan for everyone, you know. Kia didn't make it RWD for hooning purposes. There was a time when all cars were RWD. This thing is no different. Kia just decided to go with the more "risqué" setup, as opposed to the safe and boring FWD setup.

I know being a Honda/Acura owner, that is likely foreign to you, but don't worry. You can be saved. Just look beyond Honda/Acura
Taco those words are blasphemy and heresy around these parts. Not FWD? Not boring? Shhhh.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by iforyou
Yea if it's like its siblings, then it will be too heavy and not exactly sporty. So it does depend on what sort of market the car is going after.

By going RWD and hiring a ex BMW VP of engineering, I'd think Hyundai has higher ambition than selling to previous Kia owners. My view is that those previous owners probably don't care too much about RWD or not. If they do care about RWD, then they will probably care about 6MT, driving dynamics, weight, etc.

Put it this way, if they were to build a proper sports sedan with RWD and a turbocharged V6 engine, but doesn't offer manual and also make the car heavy, then that seems a bit contradictory to me.

newsflash; three pedals is dead.

dunno why we are speaking about 6MT's when every one is moving away from them, ESPECIALLY in the "sport sedan" space

there are still some offered in the coupe space, but this is neither a coupe nor is it marketed towards ppl that WANT a 6mt.
sales numbers ACROSS manufacturers shows that no one wants 6mt

in general, people like to cruise and put on make up while having 360hp on tap.

Last edited by justnspace; 12-01-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

dunno why we are speaking about 6MT's when every one is moving away from them, ESPECIALLY in the "sport sedan" space

there are still some offered in the coupe space, but this is neither a coupe nor is it marketed towards ppl that WANT a 6mt.

ESPECIALLY in the "sports sedan" space?? Fuk, iven in the "Sports Car" manual is going away. People need to quit acting like the manual is the best thing since sliced bread and connects you to the car. (and this is coming from someone who went to great lengths to convert a Acura to manual and loves manuals) Manuals have lost their edge in every aspect. Autos are faster, better gas mileage, shift faster, Then there are (true) DCTs which further exemplify sport and control.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:34 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I guess what you mean is that it's nice to have a RWD sedan even though it's not any fun to drive than a typical FWD sedan?

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

ESPECIALLY in the "sports sedan" space?? Fuk, iven in the "Sports Car" manual is going away. People need to quit acting like the manual is the best thing since sliced bread and connects you to the car. (and this is coming from someone who went to great lengths to convert a Acura to manual and loves manuals) Manuals have lost their edge in every aspect. Autos are faster, better gas mileage, shift faster, Then there are (true) DCTs which further exemplify sport and control.
Oh I realize MT is no longer popular these days. The take rate for the 3G TL 6MT was like 5%? And yea I totally agree that modern auto and DCT are faster than manual.

With that said, I've also read how people (oowindoo, Rphilman1, civicdrivr, kurtatx, etc) weren't happy when they found out the TLX no longer has 6MT...and that's for a "boring FWD entry luxury sedan" and not a RWD sports sedan.

I'd imagine these people would be very excited to hear about the compact Hyundai/Kia RWD sedan, but may be disappointed to know that it's actually not that sporty.

3 series size? Nice!
RWD? Nice!
V6 turbo? Awesome!
Good price? Sweet!
Might be heavy? Oh no!
No 6MT? crap!
Old 12-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

I have something shameful to admit, I am currently learning how to drive a manual "for fun" but having always driven automatics, I enjoy driving manual, but will never buy a manual daily driver. Esspcially with the advent of dual clutch autos and the fact that some extremely expensive super exotics only come in auto is sign enough that MT's are dead.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:47 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Ya I think all Lambo's are now auto, and Ferrari will probably be doing that in the near future.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Ya I think all Lambo's are now auto, and Ferrari will probably be doing that in the near future.
I believe that has been the case for the last few years. Has a manual been an option in a Ferrari after the F360? Don't recall the last manual Lamborghini, Gallardo Bamboni?

Edit: Looks like the F430 had a manual option as well.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:04 PM
Team Owner

I guess what you mean is that it's nice to have a RWD sedan even though it's not any fun to drive than a typical FWD sedan?

Oh I realize MT is no longer popular these days. The take rate for the 3G TL 6MT was like 5%? And yea I totally agree that modern auto and DCT are faster than manual.

With that said, I've also read how people (oowindoo, Rphilman1, civicdrivr, kurtatx, etc) weren't happy when they found out the TLX no longer has 6MT...and that's for a "boring FWD entry luxury sedan" and not a RWD sports sedan.

I'd imagine these people would be very excited to hear about the compact Hyundai/Kia RWD sedan, but may be disappointed to know that it's actually not that sporty.

3 series size? Nice!
RWD? Nice!
V6 turbo? Awesome!
Good price? Sweet!
Might be heavy? Oh no!
No 6MT? crap!
What are you talking about? You're twisting words to support your "Honda/Acura is the greatest" rhetoric. RWD is just another way to power a car. It is fun in its own regard, but just because it is RWD, does not automatically mean track racer superstar.

And it's not even that the TLX is missing a 6mt. Although there are those who would love to see it, the bigger issue is that Acura put a slop box automatic to the bigger and badder engine, instead of the DCT. They did it ass backwards.
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
fsttyms1 (12-04-2016), justnspace (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 02:06 AM
Suzuka Master

And it's not even that the TLX is missing a 6mt. Although there are those who would love to see it, the bigger issue is that Acura put a slop box automatic to the bigger and badder engine, instead of the DCT. They did it ass backwards.
very very much with this.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 06:12 AM

3 series size? Nice!
RWD? Nice!
V6 turbo? Awesome!
Good price? Sweet!
Might be heavy? Oh no!
No 6MT? crap!
no.

thats not what makes Acura BORING. LOL
it wouldnt MATTER if the TLX came equipped with a 6MT. it would still be a BORING car.

you are SUPER biased.
I am in the group you lumped and I wouldnt be interested in this kia/hyundai because of the paper specs.
thats ALL you do is paper race.

try not to add blanket statements to everything
Old 12-02-2016, 06:16 AM

you only see paper specs.

NO ONE decides on a car on PAPER specs alone.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:16 AM

NO ONE, except maybe you.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:45 AM

since I know you'll want me to expound;

cars are an emotional purchase, because there are so many different offerings, one can literally choose to their hearts content .
adding a 6MT to the TLX would not sway me to purchase it. sure, it might make it more fun...but the styling isnt there for me. again, consumerism is emotional.
that's what makes Acura BORING, to me. There's no fire, no passion...save for the NSX.
Honda/Acura is content on making vanilla people movers. and that's perfectly fine with me, as there are TONS of different cars that evoke emotion that I can choose from.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:28 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
I believe that has been the case for the last few years. Has a manual been an option in a Ferrari after the F360? Don't recall the last manual Lamborghini, Gallardo Bamboni?

Edit: Looks like the F430 had a manual option as well.
I think the California is (or was?) the last Ferrari with manual. Bye gated shifter!

What are you talking about? You're twisting words to support your "Honda/Acura is the greatest" rhetoric. RWD is just another way to power a car. It is fun in its own regard, but just because it is RWD, does not automatically mean track racer superstar.

LOL dude man no, I am NOT saying "Honda/Acura is the greatest" or whatever BS. Think you misunderstood my post.

I fully understanding that, just having RWD does NOT mean it has to be a track car. LOL, C'mon man.

My point is that, unless we are talking about some old Lexus or Ford Crown Victoria, when you have RWD, add "GT"to the concept name, and hire an ex-BMW M division VP for your project, I think it's logical to assume that there's some degree of sportiness to the car. I wouldn't think that's a completely wrong assumption, is it?

That has nothing to do with being a track star. It doesn't have to be that extreme.

And yes, LOL, I realize the TLX has more issues than just not having 6MT. That's why I've always been saying that, the TLX will flop in sales this year because it doesn't have anything special. Its value proposition is pretty much destroyed by the Accord. And that's why I called the TLX a "boring FWD sedan" in my previous post. I don't see how saying those things = saying "Honda/Acura is the greatest."

no.

thats not what makes Acura BORING. LOL
it wouldnt MATTER if the TLX came equipped with a 6MT. it would still be a BORING car.

you are SUPER biased.
I am in the group you lumped and I wouldnt be interested in this kia/hyundai because of the paper specs.
thats ALL you do is paper race.

try not to add blanket statements to everything

you only see paper specs.

NO ONE decides on a car on PAPER specs alone.

cars are an emotional purchase, because there are so many different offerings, one can literally choose to their hearts content .
adding a 6MT to the TLX would not sway me to purchase it. sure, it might make it more fun...but the styling isnt there for me. again, consumerism is emotional.
that's what makes Acura BORING, to me. There's no fire, no passion...save for the NSX.
Honda/Acura is content on making vanilla people movers. and that's perfectly fine with me, as there are TONS of different cars that evoke emotion that I can choose from.
LOL. As per above response, I didn't say having 6MT alone would make the TLX not boring. LOL. There's a lot of misunderstanding.

LOL. I am not talking about paper specs. Heck. We have no idea what the specs are, how can I even do paper spec racing? LOL!!!

LOL. Again, I have been criticizing Acura many times already for their lackluster line up. I shxt on the ILX, the RLX, and TLX. I just don't see how I'm biased.

My point is that, even for such a BORING FWD TLX, people would still want a 6MT in it. That does NOT, in any way, suggests that having 6MT = TLX being a brilliant driver's car. Rather, being a boring FWD sedan, the TLX still gets criticized for a lack of 6MT. If we are talking about a car that is supposed to be more exciting (i.e. this RWD Kia), is it wrong to think it's likely that more people would like to see 6MT as an option? You know, for more "emotion, " as one might put it? If I'm paper racing, I'd say, screw the 6MT, slap a good auto or DCT in it, and we will be winning many paper races.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Maybe with the DCT trans and the Civic TypeR engine turned up to 11 with SHAWD would the TLX be appealing .
Old 05-07-2018, 06:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb LeftLaneNews

https://www.leftlanenews.com/genesis...ps-100457.html

Genesis reverses plan to limit standalone dealerships

May 6, 2018, 5:01 pmby Ben Hsu

The luxury marque could now launch with more than 100 stores.

Genesis has once again made significant changes to the luxury marque's upcoming launch as a standalone brand. The decision reverses a plan announced in January and may result in a much larger dealer network than initially planned.

Automotive News reports that Genesis has gone back on a January announcement that standalone Genesis showrooms would be limited to 100 stores in 48 major urban markets. Many of parent company Hyundai's 350 elite-level dealers were upset that they would be competing for a limited number of chances to open a Genesis franchise.

However last week, Erwin Raphael, Genesis's general manager, told Hyundai dealers that the Genesis launch could have more than 100 stores, and that all US Hyundai dealers could have the chance to sell Genesis cars.

The opportunity can be lucrative, as starting in 2019 only standalone Genesis dealers will be able to purchase Genesis cars wholesale. Only Genesis dealers will be allowed to perform warranty repair work on Genesis cars as well.

Currently, Genesis offers two models, the G80 and G90, but a BMW 3-Series fighter called the G70 will arrive this summer. The first Genesis showroom was announced in January and will be built in an upscale district of Seoul, South Korea.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:06 AM

All 3 local Hyundai stores near my house have a number of Genesis G80/90 in their stores. Unless the plan was to just stop deliveries to dealers that don't open/get a standalone Genesis store.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:23 AM

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-g80-spy-shots

Genesis looks to be readying a major update for its G80 mid-size sedan, as evidenced by the recent sighting of a camouflaged prototype.

The proportions are similar to those of the current G80, which is really just a rebadge of the second-generation Hyundai Genesis introduced for 2015, but the biggest tell is the common design for the side glass and in particular the C-pillar accent.

There are of course differences. The face receives a major restyling with inspiration coming from the Essentia coupe concept (shown below) Genesis unveiled at the 2018 New York auto show. Borrowed from the concept is the triangular-shaped grille and flat wraparound headlights.

Moving rearward, we see the side mirrors have been moved to the doors instead of at the base of the A-pillars like on the current G80. And at the rear, the the trunk lid now sports a Kammback-like design with a repeat of the flat wraparound lights motif. This too has been inspired by the Essentia concept.

The current G80 comes with a 311-horsepower 3.8-liter V-6 and 420-hp 5.0-liter V-8 in regular form and a 365-hp 3.3-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 in G80 Sport trim. It's possible the V-8 gets replaced by a plug-in hybrid setup as part of Genesis' plan to transition to an electrified brand. It's something Genesis design boss Luc Donckerwolke hinted at last year.

The interior should also be in for a major revamp. Look for a digital instrument cluster and large infotainment screen as well as the latest in electronic driver aids.

Genesis isn't quite at the dynamic level of German brands in the premium sector but its cars were rated top in quality in the most recent J.D. Power Initial Quality Study, and the brand's design appears to be on the up thanks to the efforts of Donckerwolke, a former Bentley and Lamborghini designer, and his team.

We currently expect the updated G80 on sale in late 2019 as a 2020 model, with pricing likely starting close to the $43k base price of the 2018 G80. The car's arrival should coincide with that of a new GV80 mid-size SUV that's also out testing in the wild. Also in the pipeline is a small SUV and a new coupe.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:43 PM

Old 09-05-2018, 02:58 PM

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/09/20...new-spy-shots/

It’s only been a few weeks since we first spotted Genesis testing their next-generation G80 on public roads and already the engineers have removed a big portion of the test car’s camouflage, giving us a better look at its front end.

The wide front grille is now visible, as well as the shape of the front fenders and more of the headlights.The grille looks like it’s adopting the same shape as with the GV80 Concept. As for the headlights, they appear to feature twin elements per side, like the aforementioned concept.

After all, Genesis chief designer Luc Donckerwolke has said in the past that the GV80 Concept provides a better glimpse at the brand’s styling direction than the compact G70, which was penned before he joined the Korean manufacturer.

Donckerwolke also added back then that future Genesis models will adopt the distinctive styling of the GV80’s twin headlights and taillights, becoming a signature feature of the Genesis brand.

It’s safe to say that the next Genesis G80 will adopt a more dynamic shape, with these spy shots giving us a clear look at its sloping roofline, lower waistline and wider hips, trademarks that you normally find in four-door coupes like the Mercedes CLS.

The engine range will likely include a turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine, as well as a twin-turbo V6, with Genesis is also working on a new generation of electrified powertrains.

The new G80 will be just the beginning for Genesis, as the company has been developing a mid-sized SUV to rival traditional premium models like the BMW X5 and the Mercedes GLE. Plans for a battery-electric model have also been announced, with Genesis moving in that direction in 2021. Their electrified vehicle will feature a driving range of at least 310 miles (500km).

Genesis is expected to reveal the new G80 in 2019, with a market launch scheduled towards the end of that same year.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Damn ... they are going for the RR look? aim high!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/350301/n...80-without-v8/

Genesis, Hyundai's premium arm, is putting an end to its Tau V8 engine. The naturally-aspirated 5.0-liter power plant is expected to be axed in the upcoming next-generation G80 sedan (spy images in the gallery below) which will be revealed in September of this year.

In a report by Car and Driver, Genesis CEO Manfred Fitzgerald said that the second-generation G80, which start as a second-generation Hyundai Genesis before becoming rebranded as a standalone luxury brand, will keep its Lambda V6 engine to top its range.

As a silver lining, the Tau V8 engine will continue to be used in the facelifted Genesis G90 for a few more years. In Korea, a naturally-aspirated legacy V8 engine is being sold with the updated G90 that produces 420 horsepower. But that's the end of the line for the V8 – No turbocharging. No further developments. Nada. Zilch.

"We really have to pay close attention to markets and legislation and hedge our bets. Don't expect another evolution of the V-8," Fitzgerald said to Car and Driver.

Going back to the G80, Fitzgerald said that the new generation luxury sedan will feature the evolution of the brand's design language, which should be quite exciting as we all know that the G80 nameplate was the benchmark of all Genesis vehicles. With this in mind, we'll see the future of Genesis' design in the all-new model, something that we have to be familiar with for the next five years or so.

"We will have a brand-new G80 coming out this September in Korea and subsequently on global markets. With that car, you will see the next evolution of our design language," Fitzgerald added.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:09 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/402399/g...-g80-revealed/

It was just two weeks ago that Motor1.com reported that the 2021 Genesis G80 sedan would make its world debut at the Geneva International Motor Show. Now, with the show canceled, it appears Genesis took matters into its own hands, showing off the car (in full detail) on the company's official Instagram account before its debut.

Accompanied by the caption “stay tuned as we get set to unveil the all-new Genesis G80,” the Korean luxury automaker wasn’t shy in letting us preview every major angle of the car, including the interior.

Based on these early impressions, we’re loving what we see. The design is very reminiscent of the recent GV80 SUV, including the brand’s new “two line” theme, which finds itself throughout exterior cues such as the headlights and character lines running along the car. Not to be overlooked is the massive shield grille, which looks ominous, just as it does on the larger G90. The taillights carry the same two line theme, rounding off a good looking rear three-quarter angle, including the Genesis script placed prominently int the center of the trunk. While the GV80 is stunning in just about every way you look at it, this sedan wears the design language even better. The side profile also carries the same elegance as the new Hyundai Sonata, just without many of the controversial design touches.

Inside, the G80 also appears to steal plenty of details from its bigger SUV sibling, including the massive landscape 14.5-inch touchscreen display and ash wood trim throughout the dash. Other cues such as the pressure-sensitive rotary dial in the center console and contrasting leather colors also carry over from the GV80.

We know that the G80 shares a platform with the GV80 as well, and although Genesis hasn’t confirmed any powertrain information to us yet, it’s probably safe to assume that the G80 will get either the 2.5-liter four-cylinder or 3.5-liter V6 found in the SUV.

With Genesis posting these images before the car's official debut, some of the major details such as pricing and specs still remain unknown, but this early look provides us a great glimpse into the future of Genesis – and things look good.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:10 AM

Not a fan of the 'sad clown' 2-spoke steering wheel, but otherwise looks nice.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 10:54 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Already saw it on Doug Demuro's channel

The grille is way too huge IMO.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

I am pleasantly surprised at how good it actually looks. I was expecting it to look like the GV80 does with the aftermarket grille look. But this actually looks nice!

I also read that this is using the new RWD platform from the GV80, I don't have much info on that yet but hoping that involves a HEALTHY weight loss plan because the current generation G80 is a little too porky.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:46 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I really like the overall design of the new G80, but every time I see an extremely shiny grille with that pattern, it reminds me of chicken wire.

Also, my mistake. The Genesis I saw on Doug's channel was the G90 stronk family resemblance.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:50 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts

The GV60 is Genesis’ version of the upcoming Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia CV, with a luxury twist.

By the end of 2021, you will have three variations of basically the same vehicle to choose between - the Hyundai Ioniq 5 will debut first, on February 23, then Kia will pull the wraps off the CV and finally, before the year ends, the Genesis GV60 will be shown to the public too.

This information was made public by Automotive News after dealers attended the 2021 NADA make meeting on Wednesday and the information got out. According to Peter Lanzavecchia, the chairman of the Genesis National Dealer Advisory Council,
Product is always top of mind for dealers, and we actually got a huge product announcement. It was made official that our first battery-electric vehicle will be a luxury SUV called the GV60.
Apparently, they were not yet shown any photos of the upcoming model, but they were told it was going to be a crossover that would sit below the GV70 (that will also be available as the GV70e EV) in the Genesis lineup.

What’s interesting about the latest dealer meeting (this year held exclusively online) is that it basically gathered people that were used to selling Hyundai cars for whom sales volumes were key. Now, with Genesis, it seems they want to keep the vehicles exclusive by not offering that many of them. As Lanzavecchia explained,

"The reservation and presale process will continue for these product launches because it's going to be intentionally running lean. That's great news for retailers. We really have to get out of the Hyundai mindset where it's all about bulk, throughput, volume. We've got to protect our pricing power and protect the exclusivity of the brand."
https://insideevs.com/news/488254/ge...ame-confirmed/