Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:36 PM
A Commuter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow..just awesome..
Old 03-26-2007, 11:56 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope this begins to make Acura think about what the fuck they're doing right now. Hyundai is going to sneak up real soon.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
it looks damn good
Old 03-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Looks pretty good.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Phaeton - a great car no one wanted.

As soon as you cross the 30K threshold, people start to worry about the badge and other things. On paper and real life the Sonata is great but the sales are no where near Accord/Camry levels, not even Altima levels - and they have leveled off - no longer climbing. Price alone will not bring in the sales. Sure there'll be some sales but think about it - the avg Joe that leases a 328 (or TL) - what are the chances they'll even think about getting something like this. The only makers that should worry are the DCX 300 types - and all the SUV makers that will lose market share to large sedans.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by biker

As soon as you cross the 30K threshold, people start to worry about the badge and other things. On paper and real life the Sonata is great but the sales are no where near Accord/Camry levels, not even Altima levels - and they have leveled off - no longer climbing. Price alone will not bring in the sales. Sure there'll be some sales but think about it - the avg Joe that leases a 328 (or TL) - what are the chances they'll even think about getting something like this. The only makers that should worry are the DCX 300 types - and all the SUV makers that will lose market share to large sedans.
I don't think comparing this to the Phaeton is reasonable.

The Phaeton was hardly in the 30k range, and it was a copy of the A8 for less. When you're in that price territory, people can and will shell out a few more bucks to get the Audi name. That's not even considering the stiff competition from BMW and MB. People in that demographic seriously care about image.

This, on the other hand, is a different story. Hyundai has no luxury counterpart brand which it is competing against, like VW did against Audi. Plus the price range's target demographic is middle class to maybe higher. Translation = much bigger market than the Phaeton's, and many more sensible buyers.

I think it'll be a hit. Hyundai plans to sell about 20,000 units a year. I think that's very reasonable.

A lot of people are just in denial that Hyundai is moving upmarket. Simple as that.

Hyundai is counting on just 20,000 people out of some 300 million people in North America to make a sensible decision. I think it's doable.

I'll be test driving it for sure, along with the G8.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by biker

i think the perception of a 30k car has changed over the past few years. now you have top of the line accords and camrys just below 30k. so if you're going to spend nearly 30k or high 20's for an accord or camry, i'm sure buyers will take notice of this new car that's bigger (if you need a bigger car), more powerful, more luxurious, etc. with the phaeton, we're talking about a 60-70k vehicle. that's a different ballpark.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
^ i'd rock one of these....
Old 03-27-2007, 12:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Very nice....Hyundai nails it on their first try....and yet Acura continues to fumble and fail with the RL
Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Very nice....Hyundai nails it on their first try....and yet Acura continues to fumble and fail with the RL
For the price, it looks like Hyundai may have a midsize luxury winner on their hands...but let's wait until the thing starts selling to actually say they "nailed" it.

there were people who said that Acura had a winner with the RL too...until it actually went on sale.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Exclamation

I love it. Best Hyundai design ever.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:07 PM
hail to the victors

phaeton was 60-70k

this will be priced similar to avalon and will attract avalon buyers the most.
and remember loaded avalon is like 36-37k. so 30k isn't big deal anymore.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
there were people who said that Acura had a winner with the RL too...until it actually went on sale.
Who?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Who?
I think the person who said Hyundai nailed it was talking about the car - good design, good powertrain, good price.

mrdeeno is referring to the RL's lackluster sales, which IMO is not a very accurate reflection of said car's goodness.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:05 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianRage

I wouldn't make fun. The price is perfect. And the large size of the car will attract alot of North American's.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Pinky all stinky

yeah it's derivative. But it looks better than the new Lexus LS IMO.

And way better than the RL, or that monstrosity of an Acura concept sedan.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:17 AM
hail to the victors

For the price, it looks like Hyundai may have a midsize luxury winner on their hands...but let's wait until the thing starts selling to actually say they "nailed" it.

for hyundai, their goal is probably to change people's perception first, then worry about sales numbers. it probably won't sell in volumes, but it won't be dead last like RL either because it will be significantly cheaper than the competitors.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:34 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,778 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi
for hyundai, their goal is probably to change people's perception first, then worry about sales numbers. it probably won't sell in volumes, but it won't be dead last like RL either because it will be significantly cheaper than the competitors.
sorry it someone else has already mention this, But in order for Hyundai to "change people's perception" quicker, they'll need to start up another "sister" company with a different name like Honda/Acura, Nisan/Infiniti , Toyota/Lexus did. Unfortunately, that's the way it works in the U.S. But, with that said, I don't see it ever happening, the Koreans are very proud people, (that is not to say that the Japanese aren't)
Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by Black Tire
I wouldn't make fun. The price is perfect. And the large size of the car will attract alot of North American's.
Oh, I don't doubt it. What Hyundai offer will appeal to alot of Acura fan's love of lots-of-bang-for-the-buck mentality, and I'm one of them. But I'm not a fan of Hyundai's derivative, salad bowl approach to their automobile designs. It's probably a fine car, but I feel like deja vu everytime I look at it.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't buy it but very nice.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by is300eater
sorry it someone else has already mention this, But in order for Hyundai to "change people's perception" quicker, they'll need to start up another "sister" company with a different name like Honda/Acura, Nisan/Infiniti , Toyota/Lexus did. Unfortunately, that's the way it works in the U.S. But, with that said, I don't see it ever happening, the Koreans are very proud people, (that is not to say that the Japanese aren't)
No matter how proud the Koreans may be, they seem to be understanding the NA market more and more (check out their latest offerings). The NA arm of Hyundai is sure to be pushing for a lux division... don't be surpised if Genesis is the name of the divison. With a seperate badge, the car can go far, but Hyundai still lacks a seperate sales channel for this hypothetical lux divison; that's the challenge. Selling this new lux brand along side it's common brand cousins would be really tough; ofcourse, it was a lower, "youth" brand (like Scion/Toyota), it would be different.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Instructor

The only thing I don't like about the car is the camry grille.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Dragging knees in

How does launching a luxury division relate to national pride? I'm curious about the connection there.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:23 PM
hail to the victors

if they don't launch the luxury division, it will be another avalon competitor.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:43 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
How does launching a luxury division relate to national pride? I'm curious about the connection there.
IMO, they don't feel like they have to "hide" the name Hyundai... like Honda did back in the 80's.. Honda wanted to take a step forward and sell cars over $20k... but didn't feel that the western world would wanna spend that kind of money on a Japanese import... so they came out with Acura division... and was successful at it, then the other two follow... I don't see a Korean company do such thing... that's all I was saying... (even though I think they should)
Old 03-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

IMO, they don't feel like they have to "hide" the name Hyundai... like Honda did back in the 80's.. Honda wanted to take a step forward and sell cars over $20k... but didn't feel that the western world would wanna spend that kind of money on a Japanese import... so they came out with Acura division... and was successful at it, then the other two follow... I don't see a Korean company do such thing... that's all I was saying... (even though I think they should)
uh, so what does spinning off a luxury division have to do with national pride?

Last time I looked, Hyundai wasn't fully owned and controlled by the South Korean gov't in which it needs to appease the public and govt's "national pride". It is a BUSINESS that makes BUSINESS decisions, such as whether it is more successful marketing a car under Hyundai or another name.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Racer

Great looking car IMO. Hyundai has made huge leaps and bounds the last few years and I wouldn't hesitate one bit looking at one.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Race Director

If Hyundai came up with a name for their luxury brand, what would you name it?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
If Hyundai came up with a name for their luxury brand, what would you name it?
Lexfinura.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Safety Car

I disagree 100%. The Genesis is a luxury car, and will probably have (in addition to it's size and engine options) lux appointments and lux touches rivaling the GS/5/M/E for which it's designed to compete against. In this market (NA), perception is key. Hyundai's brand for years were associated with the worst built cars sold in the country. They've only recently elevated themsleves to a level of percieved quality equal to that of the Japanese. Trying to introduce a car such as this with the Hyundai badge is a joke, and they know this. If you don't think Hyundai's following Toyota's playbook page by page by now, think again. Toyota took it to another level with Lexus; so will Hyundai will its own lux brand.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Dragging knees in

Last time I checked, Hyundai was giving serious consideration to launching a third division. But they wanted 3 models to start it up.

Who knows, maybe they are testing the market with the Veracruz and the Genesis, both of which are heralded as luxury vehicles. Perhaps a third vehicle in the near future, like a sport coupe or mid-size sport sedan could be introduced. Then the next generation of these vehicles could come out wearing a new badge.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:05 PM
I shoot people

uh, so what does spinning off a luxury division have to do with national pride?

Last time I looked, Hyundai wasn't fully owned and controlled by the South Korean gov't in which it needs to appease the public and govt's "national pride". It is a BUSINESS that makes BUSINESS decisions, such as whether it is more successful marketing a car under Hyundai or another name.
I never said national pride... I meant more along the line of cultural pride...
Old 03-28-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Yeah ok.. it doesn't seem likely that they'll start a luxury brand name "just because they're prideful." whatever that means.

But it didn't seem likely that they'd make a RWD V8 Sports sedan either.

And everyone here seems to be missing the point about the Genesis. Hyundai is not trying to trump all BMW/Mercedes/Lexus buyers. They're aiming for a certain market of shoppers, and I see two (maybe three) such types of shoppers:

1. Buyer's who are willing to shell out $30-$35k for a fully loaded Accord/Camry/Avalon/300 etc.

2. Buyer's who want to buy a Lexus/BMW/Mercedes, but are limited to the lower end models of such brands due to high costs. (I.e. Lexus IS, ES shoppers, BMW 3 shoppers, Mercedes C Shoppers).

3. Acura Shoppers. People who want the best bang for their buck.

Sure they keep comparing it to the 5 Series, the Lexus GS, and Mercedes E, but I think its more of a reference to the type of Performance the Genesis will deliver. I highly doubt that someone who's willing to shell out $50k for a V8 five series will ever consider getting a V8 Gensis for $37k. Those types of buyers will already be "glued in" to the type of car they want.

But for those buying fully loaded Camrys/Avalons or Lower end Luxury Brand cars, the Hyundai Genesis will give them at least another option.

Hyundai wants people to come in to their dealer doors and test drive their Genesis. And I'm willing to bet, that a test drive in a V8 Genesis would very well change the minds of many.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Suzuka Master

I never said national pride... I meant more along the line of cultural pride...
and the difference between "national pride" and "cultural pride" when it concerns the business of marketing a car is ...
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Drifting

and the difference between "national pride" and "cultural pride" when it concerns the business of marketing a car is ...
probably none..

When does this go on sale?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Burning Brakes

My first car was a Elantra.. watching Hyundai grow up and constantly surprise people is so fun lol. And this car seems awesome! Can't wait
Old 03-29-2007, 02:21 PM
I shoot people

I dunno man... it was just a thought... you've made your point.. I'm just a villege idiot around here... (I think from now on I'll just stay in the Ramblings forum)
Old 03-31-2007, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AsianRage

Did they have a better design that you feel should outshine this one? Or whats your point?
Old 03-31-2007, 12:18 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chungkopi
more pics

I think this is what everyone in the Infinti forums hoped the next gen I35 would look like back in the day.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Dragging knees in

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/02/w...premium-brand/

^^ Product planning veep John Krafcik stating that it is a possibility.

Like I said a few posts up, I'm willing to bet that the company is testing the waters with the Veracruz and the Genesis. We will probably see a third model in this line-up soon, and the next generation of these vehicles will start off a new, premium brand.

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Genesis News