Hyundai: Elantra / i30 News

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
It was more for the reader of this thread than for anything else.

That's fine. Just pointing out the difference between an actual ad hominem attack and one that isn't.

The posts in this thread up to this point did not make it obvious that you were so aware. Qualifiers help.

Yep. I rarely look there for just this reason.
Sooo.... That's it?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Sooo.... That's it?
Yep. I prefer to wait for the histrionics to die out an issue like this before I pass judgment. I have no idea (and honestly don't really care) whether the Elantra is closer to its EPA mileage than is the Civic, et al. But, I can spot a really poor argument coming a mile away and, lest someone unknowingly be led astray by said argument, I'm willing to point out the argument's flaws.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Honda Fanboy

Yep. I prefer to wait for the histrionics to die out an issue like this before I pass judgment. I have no idea (and honestly don't really care) whether the Elantra is closer to its EPA mileage than is the Civic, et al. But, I can spot a really poor argument coming a mile away and, lest someone unknowingly be led astray by said argument, I'm willing to point out the argument's flaws.
^^^^
Old 02-08-2012, 03:29 PM

^^^^
Was yours an argument based on questionable, anecdotal data, cloaked in a garb of definitive statements ("It's real-world!")? Yes. That's a bad argument; end of story.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Honda Fanboy

Was yours an argument based on questionable, anecdotal data, cloaked in a garb of definitive statements ("It's real-world!")? Yes. That's a bad argument; end of story.
That is your opinion, but at least I brought SOMETHING. You gave me nothing as a rebuttal or to go against anything I was claiming. If it was such a terrible argument, you could at least have come back with something that even slightly proved me wrong.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:52 PM

That is your opinion, but at least I brought SOMETHING. You gave me nothing as a rebuttal or to go against anything I was claiming. If it was such a terrible argument, you could at least have come back with something that even slightly proved me wrong.
I already stated I don't have a position on the matter. I just exposed the flaws in your argument, that's all.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Honda Fanboy

I already stated I don't have a position on the matter. I just exposed the flaws in your argument, that's all.
That's good to know, 13 posts later.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:06 PM

That's good to know, 13 posts later.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=282
Old 02-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Honda Fanboy

Because that makes it so much better.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The GT is actually something that I would consider buying as a commute vehicle. That and the Mazda 3 with Skyactiv.

Originally Posted by AZuser

Press Release
Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T0OC54GR76A

South Korean automaker Hyundai, which has been working to shed its bargain-brand image and emerge from the shadows of Japan's biggest brands, now commands higher prices than they do in the hot compact-car segment.

An analysis of transaction prices — what people actually paid for new cars — shows Hyundai not only has pulled ahead of Toyota and Honda, the compact segment leaders, but is closing the gap in midsize sedans. Those are key product segments for Hyundai, generating more than half its car sales last year.

The analysis by Edmunds.com for USA TODAY shows buyers in 2011 paid an average $19,711 for a Hyundai Elantra compact, about $1,500 more than for a Toyota Corolla and $300 above a Honda Civic. At the same time, the redesigned Elantra's sales rose 40.5% last year from 2010, Autodata reports.

Meanwhile, Hyundai's Sonata midsize sedan has been closing on Honda's Accord and Toyota's Camry in the past decade. U.S. buyers paid 33% more for a Sonata last year than in 2002, while they paid 13% more for an Accord in the same period and 10% more for a Camry.

The average paid for a Sonata last year was $23,259, about $860 below Accord and $500 below Camry. As recently as five years ago, Sonata lagged them by an average of more than $2,000.

The analysis shows Hyundai has not only moved beyond being written off by all but bargain seekers because of its previous reputation for questionable quality and oddball styling, but has moved beyond being only a value brand into having some products for which people will pay more.

"They really changed people's minds. It's a turning point for the brand," says Jessica Caldwell, Edmunds.com analyst. "But it's a long process that's not over yet."

Hyundai isn't afraid to raise sticker prices, either. Last week, it priced its redone Azera full-size sedan at $32,875 to start, up about $6,000 from its predecessor. Though the new one has more standard features, that still puts it well above the $26,350 base for a Ford Taurus and near Toyota Avalon's $33,955.

Heading upmarket has risks, Caldwell says. By letting go of its image as a value brand, Hyundai will face higher expectations.

Hyundai's U.S. CEO John Krafcik disputes that his brand is losing its value orientation. "Our value has never been higher," he says. He says there remain are many shoppers yet to be won over. "We're in the middle of a very long journey."
Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
that GT's front-end look is quite ugly
Old 06-14-2012, 06:34 AM
Race Director

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...170-to-start/1

Hyundai announced pricing today starting at $19,170 with shipping for the 2013 Elantra GT five-door hatchback that arrives at dealers this month. Add another thousand to the base if you want it with automatic.

The compact hatch badged here as the Elantra GT is sold outside North America as the Hyundai i30. It's a sibling of the Kia Cee'd sold elsewhere and more a close cousin than true sibling of the Elantra sedan sold here.

The base GT is $1,700 more than a starter Elantra sedan, but it has more standard equipment and the good-looking hatch looks positioned as a sportier step up from the base four-door. The expanding Elantra line also is gaining a coupe variant for 2013 that has not yet been priced.

The GT succeeds in the U.S. lineup to the Elantra Touring (née i30 wagon), which was almost alone in its class as a small wagon. It was well-designed, a great value and blessed with a jewel of a B&M Racing short-throw manual shifter -- but was not a volume seller in the wagon-averse USA.

The new five-door Elantra takes a more direct cross-shopping aim at hatch models of rivals, including Ford Focus, VW Golf (all are hatchbacks), Toyota Matrix (a.k.a. Corolla hatch), Subaru Impreza, Mazda3 and perhaps Chevy's subcompact Sonic hatch (GM won't bring the compact Cruze's global hatch model here).

Could be a winning move for Hyundai sales :

Tthe hatch model of Focus, for example, is generating about 40% of Focus sales this year.

And Hyundai is following its usual one-two marketing punch with the GT -- come in a little under the rivals in base price and give the car a bit more in standard features.

The base Elantra GT base comes in below, for example, the Focus hatch at $19,995 to start with shipping, Mazda3 at $20,095 or the VW Golf five-door (which is only offered with automatic) at $20,565, according to our research site partners at Cars.com,.

And even the base Elantra GT has heated front seats, alloy wheels and seven air bags, including a driver's knee bag that even Elantra sedan doesn't have. For cargo flexibility, it has a split-fold-down rear seat back and flip-up seat cushions. Electronics include a remote entry, trip computer, Bluetooth and six-speaker audio with iPod/USB, satellite radio and steering wheel controls.

All GT's also have adaptive steering with three selectable modes: Comfort, Normal and Sport. It will take some seat time to see if that's more than a novelty.

Power is from the same 1.8-liter, 148-horsepower, direct-injection four as the sedan. In the GT, it's rated 28 mpg city, 39 highway and 32 combined with the 6-speed automatic, 27/39/31 with the 6-speed manual.

If you want to load up the GT, two option packages are offered:

Style, $2,750: Adds 17-in. wheels (up from 16), sport suspension, panoramic sunroof, side mirrors with turn signals, leather seating and steering wheel wrap, power driver's seat and driver auto/up window.
Technology, $2,350 (requires Style): Adds navigation with seven-inch screen, backup camera, automatic headlamps and dual-zone automatic climate control.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Race Director

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T9yAvRdPp1U

Hyundai announced that the 2013 Hyundai Elantra coupe that goes on sale later this month will start at $18,995 with shipping for the base GS model with six-speed manual-transmission model. Add $1,000 for the six-speed automatic version.

The pricing for the Elantra coupe is lower than the $19,305 base for Toyota's Scion tC coupe, but more than two grand higher than the base price for the closest rival, the 2012 Honda Civic coupe ($16,545).

Hyundai, however, is touting the features on the entry GS that are not standard on that base-price Civic DX coupe, including air conditioning, heated front seats, audio system with satellite radio, steering wheel audio controls, illuminated vanity mirrors, cruise control, Bluetooth, power heated mirrors, remote keyless entry, 60/40 fold-down rear seat and 16-inch alloy wheels.

For the extra bucks base Elantras also come in eight colors; Civic DX in silver and blue.

The Elantra coupe also will be available in an up-level SE trim starting at $20,520 with a manual transmission, $1,000 more for automatic. Upgraded standard features on the SE include 17-inch alloy wheels, sport-tuned suspension, leather seats, more sound damping and a rear spoiler.

You can add to the SE with automatic, a $2,350 Technology Package with a navigation system with 7-inch screen, backup camera, premium audio, automatic headlights, dual-zone automatic climate control and proximity key with push-button start.

The powerplant is the same 1.8-liter direct-injection four as other Elantras, rated in the coupe at 29 mpg city, 40 highway, 33 in combined driving with manual, 28/39/32 for the automatic.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice car. Hyundai/Kia are moving quickly. They will also be quick to change things if for some reason they arent like they thought.

This car will do well as part of their line up.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:30 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
While I have my issues w/ some of the styling elements of the GT, it as least isn't a complete snore like the Elantra coupe (this is one of the rare instance where the sedan is better looking than the coupe).

The GT has a nicer interior than the sedan/coupe but I'm not so sure if the typical American buyer is still willing to pay a premium for that.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

In trying to “tune” the Elantra Coupe and GT prototypes sent to them by Hyundai of Korea, the company’s engineers on the opposite side of the Pacific just couldn’t get the rear suspension to perform in a way they believed North American consumers would expect.

The initial prototype rear suspension setup (crushed-tube torsion beam) was “good for ride but did not have much tuning capability for sporty handling,” Dave Dutko, Senior Engineer, Ride and Handling, Hyundai America Technical Center, told AEI at a recent media ride-and-drive event near San Diego for the Elantra Coupe, Elantra GT, and Veloster Turbo.

Dutko did not head suspension development for the two derivatives of the Elantra sedan. He did head suspension development for the Veloster Turbo (for more information on that model, see http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/11226), and it was on that project that he and North American engineering teammates in Irvine, CA, began investigating suspension alternatives for all three vehicles.

They experimented by fabricating components to tweak the rear suspension but eventually decided that a more involved solution would be needed to meet American consumer demands. Specifically, they determined that a V-beam with integrated stabilizer bar would be necessary—and that engineers in Korea would have to approve such a significant alteration. They did.

The V-beam setup with integrated stabilizer bar allows bracing of the arms for greater stiffness and improved body roll control.

But how large should the stabilizer bar be? Too big would mean too stiff and vice versa.

After large amounts of experimentation with bars of varying diameter—up to 25 mm (0.98 in)—mainly via scads of time behind the wheel in a wide variety of conditions on road and on track, the engineers decided on a bar of 22 mm (0.87 in) diameter for the Coupe and GT and 23 mm (0.91 in) for the Veloster Turbo. With the stiffer bar, the “Veloster Turbo is the better-handling car of the bunch by far,” the 47-year-old Dutko said.

The Coupe and GT, targeted to a markedly different audience, offer what the engineers believe is balanced performance between sportiness and comfort, and the end result could not be argued with based on this editor’s evaluation of the two models on the varying topography and road conditions of the San Diego area. Dutko noted that the Elantra sedan, already on sale and maintaining the original twist-beam crushed-tube design, offers the softest ride of the four models.

“You don’t want them all to feel the same,” he said. “Customers expect a different feel for the different cars.”

The coupe offers two suspension tunings, including a sportier calibration for the SE model that is optimized for its lower-profile P215/45R17 tire.

“Sporty and expressive” were the key roles in the design and development of the Coupe, said Michael O’Brien, Vice President, Product and Corporate Planning, Hyundai Motor America, at the media event. He noted that the Coupe and Sedan are “U.S.-focused,” whereas the GT is Europe-focused, the former having an emphasis on overall exterior styling and fun-to-drive attributes.

All three models come off the same platform and are powered by the Nu inline four-cylinder 1.8-L D-CVVT engine. Specific output bests that of their main competitors, according to O’Brien, with figures of 82 hp/L (61.3 kW/L) for both the Coupe and GT. Automatic and manual transmissions, each with six gears, are offered.

The 2013 Elantra Coupe’s main competitors are the Honda Civic Coupe and the Kia Forte Koup. Secondary competitors are the midsized Honda Accord and Nissan Altima coupes, both of which have less interior space than the Elantra Coupe, according to O’Brien. The two-door’s dimensions are almost identical to the sedan’s, but the sheet metal is unique from the B-pillar back and styling is different in terms of bumper covers, lamps, integrated rear spoilers, and other details. Bolstered seats are among the interior differentiators. The SE model comes with aluminum pedals.

The Coupe was designed at Hyundai's North American Design Center in Irvine.

Steering knuckle design and damper tuning have been recalibrated for sportier handling and steering responsiveness compared with the Elantra sedan.

The sportier MY2013 Elantra GT five-door features generous use of high-strength steel (57% overall, ultrahigh-tensile accounting for 21% of the total). At 2745 lb (1245 kg), it is lighter than its main competitors (Ford Focus, Mazda3, and Volkswagen Golf). A key to Elantra GT’s extensive use of high-strength steel is an $8 billion dollar investment Hyundai made to become the only global automaker with its own fully integrated steel plant. Hyundai has 400 metallurgists focused on the task of developing optimized steel recipes for every part and panel in new vehicle architectures.

Modifications to the Elantra GT include higher rear spring rates and Sachs dampers for improved body motion control. Incorporating Hyundai’s all-new Driver Selectable Steering Mode, operators can select among Comfort, Normal, and Sport settings. Comfort level offers the greatest ease of steering and is best suited to city and parking environments. Sport is optimized for higher-speed highways or winding roads. Normal is ideal for a mix of driving conditions. The system not only adjusts power assistance levels in each mode but also on-center buildup feel and steering buildup curves throughout the steering range for a natural, progressive feel.

The Elantra GT is the first car in its class to use an automatic defogging system that goes beyond the conventional automatic method of measuring humidity and air temperature close to the windshield to estimate dew point as a trigger. Originally introduced by Hyundai on the Genesis, it has faster, more accurate response because the sensor is in physical contact with the glass for temperature measurement, and interior humidity sensing is done very close to the windshield. The HVAC case is modified for independent control of the defrost door for maximum performance.

An algorithm in the Automatic Temperature Control microprocessor not only operates the A/C compressor for automatic defog but uses a complex strategy for temperature door control and blower speed operation to ensure that cabin comfort is maintained during the operation. The sensor and system were developed in response to initial quality surveys that showed windshield fogging issues were high on customer complaint lists.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow Update: Now Below 40mpg HWY

Back in December of 2011, Consumer Watchdog called on the EPA to investigate Hyundai over its fuel economy claims. According to Consumer Watchdog, Hyundai claimed that its Elantra was good for 29 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on highway. The problem the organization had with the claims is that it received a higher than usual number of complaints that real-world mileage was in the mid-20 mpg range.

The EPA did investigate Hyundai for misleading mileage claims as well as Kia, and changes in fuel economy estimates are coming as a result of the investigation. Both Kia and Hyundai will be lowering the fuel economy estimates on the majority of their 2012 to 2013 models after EPA testing discovered discrepancies between its data and the company's data.

Hyundai and Kia admitted to overstating the estimated fuel economy on window stickers of about 900,000 vehicles sold since late 2010. The 2 automakers will reportedly spend millions of dollars to compensate owners for faulty claims of economy.

Hyundai will also have to retract its widely used claim that it leads the industry with 4 vehicle models able to get 40 mpg on the highway. That statement will be retracted because estimated highway economy on the 2013 Accent, Veloster, and Elantra are being reduced to below 40 mpg.

Some of the biggest losers include the Hyundai Accent and the all-new, redesigned 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. The Accent saw its 30/40/33 (city/highway/combined) rating drop to 28/37/31. The Santa Fe Sport (2WD) saw a huge drop in its highway rating, going from 21/31/25 (city/highway/combined) to 20/27/23.

Many of the mileage adjustments take Hyundai models from being class leaders to either middle-of-the-pack or lower.

Overstating fuel efficiency is a significant blunder by the 2 car companies because gas prices are up, and many people are shopping based on fuel economy claims by the manufacturer. The EPA notes that window sticker values have previously been reduced on only two vehicles sense 2000, so that makes Hyundai’s folly even more egregious.

"Given the importance of fuel efficiency to all of us, we're extremely sorry about these errors," said Hyundai Motor America President and CEO John Krafcik. "We're going to make this right."

Krafcik blamed the inaccurate fuel efficiency claims on "procedural errors" in the fuel-economy testing methodology the company used. Hyundai-Kia's combined fleetwide fuel economy average declined from 27 MPG to 26 mpg for the 2012 model year working out to about a 3% reduction.

Krafcik added, "We've identified the source of the discrepancies between our prior testing method and the EPA's recommended approach."

Last edited by TSX69; 11-02-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Race Director

^ They were testing back to the 08 standards?

If the main stream media pick up this story it would probably make a sizeable dent in their sales, just from the bad PR (never mind the lower mileage numbers).

Last edited by biker; 11-02-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:20 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Hyundai: Elantra / i30 News-ezpvsmm.jpg

Hyundai teases redesigned 2017 Elantra in advance of L.A. Auto Show - LA Times

Hyundai Teases Redesigned 2017 Elantra in Advance of L.A. Auto Show

Hyundai has released a glimpse of the next Elantra.

The South Korean automaker is readying a new version of the compact car, its bestselling vehicle in the U.S., where it competes with other top sellers including the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla.

The redesigned 2017 Elantra will be shown for the first time in the U.S. at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November.

The concept sketch released by Hyundai on Thursday shows a sportier, low-slung car. The stylized depiction lacks door handles and most body panel seams. Aluminum wheels are evocative of the spinning turbine blades of a jet engine.

“The subtle and innovative appearance enhancements reflect Hyundai Motor’s vision for design,” said Peter Schreyer, chief design officer at Hyundai Motor Co.

The automaker did not provide any other information, but it's a safe bet that the new Elantra will have a four-cylinder engine and better fuel economy than the current model. Based on other Hyundai moves, the new Elantra will likely include the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto interfaces for smartphones. And some trim levels are expected to have active safety features such as forward collision alert and blind spot warning.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:47 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Elantra Sport arrives:

All-New Turbocharged 2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport For The USA

0-62 in about 7.5s?:

Old 07-13-2016, 04:54 AM
Race Director

They need to turn off traction control.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT: A Euro Hatch with an Available Turbo/Manual Combo

In its most recent comparison test, we called the new Hyundai Elantra sedan “arguably the best-looking vehicle the company has ever offered for sale.” That argument is about to get tougher with the arrival of the 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT, a hatchback version plucked from the automaker’s European division that serves up clean lines and attractive detailing. Combine the sharp styling with an available 201-hp turbocharged four-cylinder (and a standard six-speed manual transmission), and this new Hyundai has the potential to be a formidable challenger to segment favorite hatchbacks such as the Honda Civic and the Volkswagen Golf.

Like the outgoing Elantra GT hatch, the new model is essentially identical to the Europe-market Hyundai i30. That means it’s not a hatchback version of the U.S.-market Elantra sedan, and instead it rides on a different architecture; the relationship is similar to that between the VW Golf and Jetta. The Elantra GT’s wheelbase is two inches shorter than the Elantra sedan’s, for instance, which puts the Hyundai right between the Golf and Civic hatches.VIEW PHOTOS
The Elantra GT’s base four-cylinder displaces 2.0 liters, like the sedan’s standard engine, but different tuning results in 162 horsepower versus the sedan’s 147. Both six-speed manual and six-speed automatic transmissions are offered with this naturally aspirated engine. Things get more interesting in the Elantra GT Sport, which packs the Elantra Sport sedan’s turbocharged 1.6-liter four making 201 horses and 195 lb-ft of torque. Here, too, a six-speed manual comes standard, while the optional autoshifter is a seven-speed dual-clutch unit. All Elantras are front-wheel drive.VIEW PHOTOS
As in the Sport sedan, the GT Sport swaps out the standard torsion-beam rear suspension for an independent multilink setup. Eighteen-inch wheels and larger brakes round out the changes to the performance-oriented model.

No matter the trim level, the Elantra GT’s interior looks upscale and sensibly laid out, with a dashboard design noticeably different from the sedan’s. An 8.0-inch display screen comes standard and offers Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality along with an updated version of Hyundai’s Blue Link infotainment software.VIEW PHOTOS
As with any hatchback, cargo-carrying practicality is an important consideration. The Elantra GT’s cargo hold boasts 25 cubic feet of space, which is between the Golf’s 23 and the Civic hatchback’s 26. With the 60/40 split rear seats folded, the Elantra provides 55 cubic feet of space, beating out both of those rivals (the Honda provides 46, while the Golf has 53).

The 2018 Elantra GT will reach dealerships this summer and is likely to be priced starting around $20,000. That’s higher than the Elantra sedan’s $17,985 base price, but the GT will try to justify its higher price using its enhanced practicality and style.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Race Director

They must think hatches sell.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
They don't?
Old 02-13-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
Looks pretty good, but, IMO, probably the least appealing 'iPad on the dash' integration.
Looks a bit like a scaled-up version of Mazda's base infotainment system with a screen on it.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:42 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by RDX10
They don't?
In the US, not so much.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:25 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
In the US, not so much.
they have produced an Elantra hatch before.
I remember seeing a lot of the Elantra hatch GT's in the late 90's early 2000's.
which, I think it's a great and smart thing to carry on this lineage!!

we all want (or most everybody) wants SUV space but not pay SUV pricing.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 AM

There's also a lot more, that I've noticed, Mazda3 Hatches than sedans, running around Houston.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 AM

I watched a cnet youtube thingy about the Chevy Bolt. basically a hatch!! i'm not tall by any means, but dude who reviewed it was like 6'2" and fit nicely in drivers seat

so, it does look like a "hatch" trend is coming...or might be even here
Old 02-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
In Europe at least, I'm willing to be 75% of the cars on the road are either wagons or hatchbacks.

I think the difference being the complete lack of room over there, as compared to North America. Although you do on the occasion see a full size truck or large SUV, they aren't common at all. People need to haul stuff, so a wagon or hatchback fit the bill nicely.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace
I watched a cnet youtube thingy about the Chevy Bolt. basically a hatch!! i'm not tall by any means, but dude who reviewed it was like 6'2" and fit nicely in drivers seat

Also, there is a Cruze hatchback coming, which I think is a rebadged Elantra hatch.
justnspace (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 AM

not too mention the "hot hatches"
Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Also, there is a Cruze hatchback coming, which I think is a rebadged Elantra hatch.
Chevy and Hyundai had a partnership? This is the first I'm hearing of that!
Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace

Seems like people are gravitating from small sedans to hatches, and manufacturers are just giving buyers what they want.

Honda did bring back the Civic hatch after a long absence. Even the Civic sedan has a bit of a hatchback look to it.

The Honda Fit is still doing very well.

Chevy updated and released their 2nd gen Cruze hatch late last year. If it (hatch form factor) wasn't selling well, they wouldn't have bothered, right? Chevy also has the Spark and Sonic. Then there's the Chevy Bolt you mentioned (along with a bunch of other hatch body style hybrids and electrics like the Toyota Prius, BMW i3, Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, Mercedes B class, etc.)

The Hyundai Veloster continues to sell in decent numbers (Acura would die for ILX sales numbers like this ). Maybe this is what prompted them to bring over the Euro Elantra GT?

Ford's got the Fiesta, Focus, and C-Max.

There's the Fiat 500, Mini Cooper, Subaru Impreza hatch, VW Golf, Mazda 3, Nissan Versa Note, Toyota Yaris, Toyota Corolla iM, Volvo C30, Mitsubishi Mirage, ....

There hasn't been this many hatchback options in a long time.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZuser:
justnspace (02-14-2017), TacoBello (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 10:04 AM

it seems as if we are in the middle of a hatch bubble! lol
Old 02-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

What's crazy is that after almost five years on the market, the veloster still is able to move 30,000 units. Now that's impressive.

Just over ten percent less than their first full year of selling the veloster. That's pretty nuts.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Chevy and Hyundai had a partnership? This is the first I'm hearing of that!
Maybe not Just has a bit of an Elantra feel to it, to me.

justnspace (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 12:08 PM

wow, that's sexier than current cruze hatch. I hate to say it, but if I'm ever in a position where I cant afford a cool car, these eco hatches are prime candidate
Old 09-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Hyundai: i30 N News

Sadly, not slated for N. America.... (yet?)

We Regret to Inform You… the Hyundai i30 N Is Outstanding

Unfortunately, the new Hyundai i30 N is, by all accounts, a terrific hot hatchback.

The i30, you’ll recall, is essentially the Hyundai Elantra GT that’s beginning to arrive in U.S. showrooms, a pleasantly tasty car in Sport trim.

But Hyundai’s new performance N sub-brand, headed up by former BMW dynamics sage Albert Biermann, is not yet America-bound. And while European critics broadly praise the i30 N — not just as “a pretty stunning first effort from Hyundai’s N division” but “up there with the best” competitors — and celebrate the availability of yet another viable performance car, the car will not make it across the pond.

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Elantra / i30 News