Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Automotive News
Reload this Page >

Honda: Sales, Marketing and Financial News

Notices

Honda: Sales, Marketing and Financial News

Old 09-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,197 Posts
If there's a legitimate successor coming for the S2000, mine will be on the market ASAP.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Received 4,405 Likes on 3,314 Posts
Why? To be able to buy the new one? Because if the NSX was any indication, even if the new s2000 is a home run, the original s2000 will become more desirable and more expensive. Selling the original should only happen if it's a desperate need for money.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
Why? To be able to buy the new one? Because if the NSX was any indication, even if the new s2000 is a home run, the original s2000 will become more desirable and more expensive. Selling the original should only happen if it's a desperate need for money.
...or lack of space to store yet another car which is what I'm running into.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

I highly doubt the new s2000 will be light years better than the original. Better overall? Possible. Way better? Doubtful. Why you'd be interested in selling a car that is now climbing in value, for one that is guaranteed to plummet in value is beyond me. Maybe the 2G s2000 will go up in value one day... but are you willing to wait 15-20 years?

It's your hard earned money... but financially, your decisions don't make much sense especially since it sounds like you want to ditch your s2000 prior to the new one coming out. You're just assuming the 2G will be great. With that being said, you don't see people fighting tooth and nail for a first year AP1, but rather, people are fighting for the later and improved AP2.

Hey, if you want to be the first to own it, so be it... but you'll be paying one hell of a price for it.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:42 PM

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,334 Posts
If the NSX and even the Civic (as mentioned in the other thread) are any indication, this S2000 successor will outperform it in almost every way.

It will probably be quite different as well.

Really though, the S2000 is almost a 20 year old design. I feel that people will be disappointed with what Honda delivers initially (if they actually do) only to discover the brilliance behind it later.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Just like the 2G NSX.

It remains to be seen if the next s2000 actually goes MR, as Honda vaguely hinted at previously.

Ok, fine, if that happens, go sell your s2000, Sam. I can understand why you would then. It remains to be seen if it would be sold with an A or an H, though. And if it does have an A, would it have electric motors? And be AWD?

Naw, I hope it's not Sport Hybrid AWD. But I wouldn't be opposed to adding an electric motor to the engine, and if it ends up being turbo'd, maybe another electric motor to spool it faster? Shiiiiiet.... there's a lot of stuff Honda could do. I highly doubt they would keep it high revving NA.Maybe high revving turbo, though.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:00 AM

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,334 Posts
Only one thing is necessary. Must be Manuel. No hablo ingles.
The following 3 users liked this post by Costco:
00TL-P3.2 (09-11-2017), SamDoe1 (09-11-2017), TacoBello (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
I highly doubt the new s2000 will be light years better than the original. Better overall? Possible. Way better? Doubtful. Why you'd be interested in selling a car that is now climbing in value, for one that is guaranteed to plummet in value is beyond me. Maybe the 2G s2000 will go up in value one day... but are you willing to wait 15-20 years?

It's your hard earned money... but financially, your decisions don't make much sense especially since it sounds like you want to ditch your s2000 prior to the new one coming out. You're just assuming the 2G will be great. With that being said, you don't see people fighting tooth and nail for a first year AP1, but rather, people are fighting for the later and improved AP2.

Hey, if you want to be the first to own it, so be it... but you'll be paying one hell of a price for it.
If I sold mine, to be honest, I don't think I'd buy the new one unless it came with more of the creature comforts and NVH reductions that make up a modern car. The S2000, as fun as it is, gets old when you take it for a multi-hour drive down the freeway. Sure, blasting through curvy roads is an absolute delight...but that's like 5% of the driving I do. And at this point, even the modern Civic Si is better (and faster) at blasting through those corners than even the CR.

I'm not sure though. Every time I think about selling, I go drive it and immediately decide otherwise. I'll make a call next year though. Also, I don't think I'd get another convertible either. My next convertible will be a Wrangler.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:13 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 572 Likes on 385 Posts
If the CTR is any indication, I'd be confident the 2G S2000 will be quite comfortable.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Received 2,579 Likes on 1,805 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
If I sold mine, to be honest, I don't think I'd buy the new one unless it came with more of the creature comforts and NVH reductions that make up a modern car. The S2000, as fun as it is, gets old when you take it for a multi-hour drive down the freeway. Sure, blasting through curvy roads is an absolute delight...but that's like 5% of the driving I do. And at this point, even the modern Civic Si is better (and faster) at blasting through those corners than even the CR.

I'm not sure though. Every time I think about selling, I go drive it and immediately decide otherwise. I'll make a call next year though. Also, I don't think I'd get another convertible either. My next convertible will be a Wrangler.
Just wait until you actually sold yours.... then you will know....
Old 09-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
Just wait until you actually sold yours.... then you will know....
Huh?
Old 09-13-2017, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

i meant when you sold yours, you will truly appreciate it.

All the comfort that you thought you wanted or anything else is not comparable.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Ex-OEM King

i meant when you sold yours, you will truly appreciate it.

All the comfort that you thought you wanted or anything else is not comparable.
Oh, yeah you're probably right. I don't know though, I see cars as experiences and one (that I'd buy at least) isn't the same as another. So if I did sell, it would be for a different experience not for a replacement.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

^ I had done what you are thinking about doing TWICE and i regret it every single day..... S2000 has broken my neck many times on the road.

If not because they are so damn expensive and i have no garage space for 1 right now, i would have picked up my 3rd one already.

But i know how you feel, i felt exactly the same way... When i had it.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:00 PM
Ex-OEM King

^ I had done what you are thinking about doing TWICE and i regret it every single day..... S2000 has broken my neck many times on the road.

If not because they are so damn expensive and i have no garage space for 1 right now, i would have picked up my 3rd one already.

But i know how you feel, i felt exactly the same way... When i had it.
Do you regret selling?
Old 09-15-2017, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Yes. But i did not have a lot of choices with the 2nd one, since it was falling apart, literally for a 70k miles car. Too many issues with the car mechanically and cosmetically. So much for Honda Certified Used car.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:26 AM
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts
http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...kahiro-hachigo

TOKYO — Honda CEO Takahiro Hachigo has joined the chorus of global executives sounding the alarm about the seismic changes looming over the auto industry.

But he is vetoing one common strategy for confronting that change: There will be no capital tie-ups for Honda.

"We do have a sense of crisis," Hachigo told Automotive News last week at the automaker's global headquarters. "Things are changing drastically. So we should not be late in responding.

"But," he emphasized, "it's not the case where we have any plans for such equity holdings."

Hachigo's rejection puts Honda — a medium-size player globally — on a different course than its two nearest competitors, Toyota Motor Corp. and Nissan Motor Co. Toyota and Nissan have built auto empires by taking shares in smaller competitors. Toyota has stakes in Subaru, Mazda and Isuzu as well as a partnership with Suzuki. Nissan owns a controlling stake in Mitsubishi on top of its global tie-up with Renault and its affiliated companies.

Honda remains stubbornly independent in an age of consolidation.

But even as Hachigo rules out cross-ownership arrangements, Honda's go-it-alone days are coming to a close, with the industry beset by a rush of new technologies and new competitors. Honda's revised strategy calls for loose partnerships to cover its weak spots, and it has been signing deals at a steady clip this year. Hachigo said that will continue.

"Next year, too, we will build such partnerships speedily," he said.

Hachigo's assessment came just days after his company announced it will partner with SenseTime Group, of China, to develop artificial intelligence.

That followed an announcement last month that it will team with Japanese telecom giant Softbank Corp. to research superfast 5G next-generation mobile networks for use in vehicles.

The push continues at next month's CES in Las Vegas, where Honda's high-tech incubator program, Honda Xcelerator, will announce a raft of new startups it plans to support.

Honda Xcelerator exemplifies the new mantra at Honda. The program intends to canvas the globe for up-and-coming potential partners, seeking expertise the old automaker lacks — in fields such as energy innovation, smart materials, robotics and autonomous vehicles.

Honda's outreach kicked off this year. It said it would partner with Hitachi Automotive Systems to produce and sell electric motors for a future wave of electric vehicles, as well as form a joint venture with General Motors to build costly hydrogen fuel cell stacks for green vehicles at a factory in Michigan.

Hachigo's comments echo those of other leaders, such as Toyota President Akio Toyoda, who said last month that his company faces a now-or-never race "about surviving or dying."

But Hachigo dismissed any notion his company's future was at stake.

"We don't think it's business as usual," Hachigo said. "But we must recognize our strengths. If we continue to play to our strengths, we can gradually adapt to these changes and make whatever changes are necessary."

Honda's top strength is a product base extending beyond automobiles to motorcycles, power products, robots and even jet aircraft, he said. Through those offerings, Honda commands the loyal following of more than 30 million customers worldwide, he said.

In a move that underscored Hachigo's resolve to change with the times — regardless of the pain — the Honda boss in October took the rare step of shuttering a Japanese assembly plant. In announcing the closure of its aging Sayama factory, Honda said it will rearrange its domestic manufacturing know-how toward electrified cars.

Hachigo believes efficient EV manufacturing remains a big hurdle of the new era.

"One technical challenge on our side is to try to make it possible to produce gasoline-engine cars, hybrids, plug-in hybrids and battery EVs in the same way at the same factory," he said.

"The biggest challenge for us is how to make that happen."
Old 12-17-2017, 08:25 PM
_

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,422 Posts
Hachigo's assessment came just days after his company announced it will partner with SenseTime Group, of China, to develop artificial intelligence.

That followed an announcement last month that it will team with Japanese telecom giant Softbank Corp. to research superfast 5G next-generation mobile networks for use in vehicles.
Why is Honda partnering with a new start-up company for AI and Softbank (i.e. the shittiest mobile provider of the main 4 in the U.S. and the smallest and weakest mobile provider of the main 3 in Japan)?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,212 Posts
https://ktla.com/2019/02/13/honda-to...el-pump-issue/

Honda says it is recalling 437,000 vehicles in the U.S. to fix a fuel-pump issue.

The recall covers model-year 2016-2018 Acura MDXs, 2015-2019 Acura TLX V6s and 2015-2017 Honda Accord V6s.

The automaker says the vehicles’ software needs to be updated, and in some cases, have their fuel pumps replaced.

That’s because sodium particulates in some U.S. gasoline can stick to internal components in the fuel pumps, reducing the pumps’ performance. In hot weather, this could limit the vehicle’s acceleration or cause its engine to stall, increasing the risk of a crash.

Honda says it has received no reports of crashes or injuries because of the issue.

Owners will be notified by letter in late March, after which they are advised to take the vehicles to authorized dealers.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts
TOKYO – Honda will shutter assembly plants in England and Turkey by 2021 as the automaker pushes toward electrification and confronts changing trends in trade relations.

The global restructuring move comes amid uncertainty about Britain’s so-called Brexit withdrawal from the European Union and the implementation of a new free trade pact between Europe and Japan.

Honda CEO Takahiro Hachigo announced the move Tuesday at the company's global headquarters in Tokyo.

The production overhaul has nothing to do with Brexit and the decision was timed to the end of the current Civic's lifecycle, Hachigo said. It is part of a wider adjustment of Honda’s global production base to improve efficiency and better tailor product to local markets, he said.

"We have decided to carry out this production realignment in Europe in light of our efforts to optimize production allocation and production capacity globally as well as accelerating electrification," Hachigo said. "We have made this announcement today due to the timing for deciding on a production base for the next Civic. So, this decision has nothing to do with the Brexit."

Honda has global production capacity for 5.4 million vehicles, but it sold only 5.24 million vehicles last year, giving it a utilization rate around 97 percent. After the changes, Honda’s global capacity will be trimmed to 5.1 million vehicles and the utilization rate will exceed 100 percent through overtime, Hachigo said.

Honda's Europe boss, Ian Howells, said the automaker will focus its investments on China, the U.S. and Japan. "This is not a Brexit-related issue for us. This decision has been made on the basis of global changes," Howells told BBC Radio.

The Swindon plant, opened in 1985, currently builds the Civic five-door hatchback for global markets including Europe and the U.S. It employs 3,500 people and produces about 150,000 vehicles a year. The factory has operated at less than full capacity in recent years as demand in Europe slumped, prompting Honda to suspend a production line with a capacity of 100,000 units in 2014.

With the start of the next-generation Civic, other regions will pick up the output that came from Swindon, Honda said. This includes a bigger share for Honda's North American plants. About 55 percent of Swindon's output is exported to North America.

"Given our efforts to optimize production allocation and production capacity on a global scale, we have concluded that we will produce the Civic for North America in North America," Hachigo said.

Honda’s European headquarters will remain in the UK, Honda said.

Honda will also close its Turkish plant, which builds the Civic sedan and produces about 38,000 vehicles a year, but intends to continue sales and marketing operations in the country, Honda said.

As part of the realignment, Honda said it will commonize the European lineup with the brand’s offerings in China, where environmental standards put similar demands on emissions. Future product for Europe will be exported from Honda plans in Japan and China, Hachigo said.

The UK has long been a Japanese hub for European auto production, with Honda, Nissan and Toyota owning three of the country’s six largest carmaking factories. That has quickly unraveled, with Nissan this month reneging on plans to build the X-Trail SUV in Sunderland -- partly due to the unresolved status of EU-UK trade after Brexit.

EU-Japan deal

UK-built products also risk being disadvantaged by a new treaty that will gradually eliminate tariffs on Japanese imports to the EU.

The EU-Japan Economic Partnership Agreement, in force since Feb. 1, ensures that the bloc’s 10 percent tariff on Japanese car imports will be reduced to zero over the next 10 years.

The treaty makes it easier for Japanese automakers to localize production at home for sale in the EU, consulting firm LMC Automotive said in a report this month. The UK is most at risk because almost half of the cars made in the country are Japanese branded, and Japanese automakers want to increase utilization of plants at home.

"Should Britain leave without a deal and WTO tariffs are applied to UK vehicle exports, the same cars made in Japan may well end up costing less to import into the EU than those produced just over the Channel in England," LMC’s director of global production forecast, Justin Cox, said in the Feb. 11 report.

Hachigo said the trade pact will improve the competitiveness of Japanese exports in the European market.

The UK auto industry has already been battling Brexit-related slowdown, potential tariffs and supply bottlenecks ahead of the exit from the EU on March 29. UK lawmakers have yet to find a solution to avert a no-deal split from the EU.

Ford Motor announced thousands of job cuts in Europe last week and said a hard Brexit would be "catastrophic" for the UK auto industry and its own engine-production facilities in the country. Jaguar Land Rover, Britain's biggest automaker, said in January it would scrap 4,500 positions in response to a sales slowdown blamed on reasons including Brexit. PSA Group’s Vauxhall Ellesmere Port site is in doubt as it mulls plans for the next Astra.

As the political impasse over Brexit drags on, investments in the British automotive industry nearly halved last year to 589 million pounds ($760 million), the lowest since the global financial crisis, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers.

EV shift

Honda is revamping its global production footprint as it tries to tackle overcapacity at Japanese factories and the need to produce more electrified vehicles to meet more stringent emissions standards. Honda wants to get two-thirds of global sales from electrified vehicles by 2030.

“The significant challenges of electrification will see Honda revise its global manufacturing operations, and focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes," Honda said in a release. "The restructure comes as Honda its commitment to electrified cars."

In October 2017, Honda said it would take the rare step of shuttering a Japanese assembly plant as it shifts manufacturing know-how toward electrified cars.

It said the aging Sayama assembly plant would wind down by March 31, 2022 and consolidate operations around the nearby Yorii plant, one of the automaker’s newest.

Yorii, which opened in 2013, will be positioned as a worldwide center for developing cutting-edge manufacturing technologies as well as techniques for producing electrified vehicles.

As part of the changes, Honda said it will also appoint a chairman to the currently vacant position. Toshiaki Mikoshiba, who currently oversees global sales and marketing as well as North American operations, will take the chairman’s role.

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...ructuring-move
Old 04-20-2019, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
This should make you feel good about owning a Honda

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...s-hybrids-evs/
Unlike the way the Big Three manage their unionized plants—a boom-and-bust cycle of mass hiring followed by mass firing—Honda said it won't lay off any of its 4700 salaried and hourly non-union employees in Marysville. Instead, it said it will find new roles for workers on the displaced shift. Honda has never resorted to layoffs in its 37-year history in this country, a quiet fact that many inside Honda respect over long, steady careers.
The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (04-22-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 08:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15,143 Likes on 9,400 Posts
Merged.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:17 PM
_

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,422 Posts
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/3779abcd...ts-fiscal.html

Honda reports fiscal quarterly loss, to streamline models

May 8, 2019

TOKYO (AP) — Honda reported a loss for January-March Wednesday, despite growing sales, as an unfavorable exchange rate, income tax expenses and other costs hurt results.

Honda Motor Co. reported a 13 billion yen ($118 million) loss for the fiscal fourth quarter, a reversal from a 107.7 billion yen profit the previous fiscal year.

Quarterly sales rose 3% to 4.05 trillion yen ($37 billion).

For the fiscal year through March, Honda recorded a 610.3 billion yen ($5.5 billion) profit, down 42% on year because of an absence of a U.S. tax break, which boosted earnings the previous year.

Chief Executive Takahiro Hachigo announced Honda will streamline its product offerings, consolidating model variations, and increase parts-sharing to cut costs, with the first model developed under the new "architecture" launching next year.

Inter-regional cooperation will reduce manpower needs by a third, which will instead be used for research and development, he said.

In North America, a critical market for the Japanese automakers, Honda will reduce model options to realize growth, he added.

For the fiscal year through March 2020, Honda expects a 665 billion yen ($6 billion) profit, up 9 percent.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1SE0QW

Honda forecasts 6 percent rise in annual profit on Europe factory revamp

May 8, 2019

(Reuters) - Honda Motor Co forecast on Wednesday a 6 percent increase in operating profit for the current fiscal year due to cost reduction efforts and a restructuring of its production network in Europe.

Japan’s third-largest automaker signaled that it was looking to reduce global production costs by 10 percent by 2025 and scale back the number of model variations, underscoring the cost pressures facing traditional automakers as they compete in a market that is being reshaped by tech companies and ride-sharing.

Honda expects profit to rise to 770 billion yen ($7 billion) in the year to March 2020, compared with the 834 billion yen average of 22 analyst estimates compiled by Refinitiv.

Operating profit was 726 billion yen in the year ended March, versus an average estimate of 803 billion yen.

Honda’s profit forecast is based on the assumption that the yen will trade around 110 to the U.S. dollar in the current financial year, compared with 111 yen in the year just ended.