Honda: Sales, Marketing and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Hasn't that been the problem lately though.... letting Americans design and engineer the cars for Acura? They gave us the ZDX and 4G TL

I'm worried that with Americans designing and engineering the cars, they'll lead us down the wrong path to more boring and ugly cars. Almost all the fun and exciting Acuras were Japanese creations.
Americans made these 'hits for Acura: '99 TL, '01 MDX, '04 TL, '07 MDX. They missed on the '97 CL, '01 CL, '07 RDX (near miss) and obviously the '09 TL and '10 ZDX. However, it's not as if the Japanese are immune to failure, the 2G Legend wasn't a huge success once Lexus arrived, 1G TLs and all generations of RL have been a disappointment from a sales perspective.

So in some respects you're right, the fun Integras and NSXs came out of Japan, but Colliver and the American team really did more to make Acura a bigger, more profitable brand for HMC.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dom
Good to hear. Everything they just recently seemed to have noticed is stuff we've been talking about for a few years now. Someone should send Honda Execs a link to AZ Auto News if they want to know why they're cars don't sell.
Don't forget, if the American team had their way, the 2005 RL would have been V-8 and RWD. It was the Japanese that wanted to do it the "Honda way" with a "less is more" approach.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^ Very true.

The top men in Honda Japan actually dictate everything going on in Honda North America.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:00 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Kool Aide
Don't forget, if the American team had their way, the 2005 RL would have been V-8 and RWD. It was the Japanese that wanted to do it the "Honda way" with a "less is more" approach.
I've said many times over the last few years that US execs are nothing more than talking heads, the homeland was always in control and still are. The positives I take from this news is they've now realized there is/was a problem and want to make changes. That should be the focus of this, the US exec shuffle is a sidebar.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dom
I've said many times over the last few years that US execs are nothing more than talking heads, the homeland was always in control and still are. The positives I take from this news is they've now realized there is/was a problem and want to make changes. That should be the focus of this, the US exec shuffle is a sidebar.
Well, we here on AZ can't have it both ways? On one hand blaming the Americans for everything wrong and then saying that they're nothing but figureheads. I'm of the opinion that the projects are somewhat split by intended sales region and within the allocated budget, the LPL (for example) for the 2004 TL had a certain amount of independence to develop what he felt this market needed. Distinctly American product like the MDX(s) or on the Honda side the Odyssey are from the AHM side of the family for sure.

I just believe that we need to give credit where credit is due. Colliver and his team lead Honda/Acura through some huge growth from the late 90's up till 2009 when the TL debuted. One could argue that the success of things like the Odyssey, MDX, Accord, and TL allowed HMC to have some 'fun' with the S2000 (which probably didn't lose money, but probably didn't make a lot either).
Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,023 Likes on 2,501 Posts
+1, that is what I find is the biggest problem on AZ at times. Some AZ's can't remember the good, the bad and the ugly.

While the 4G was ugly, the 3G was one fo the coolest designs in it's class at the time. Charlie Baker created a phenomenal design with the 3G.

The Odyssey/Pilot/MDX/Ridgeline platform was also a American Honda idea and concept of sharing three vehicle concepts with one basic platform. American Honda insisted on the size as well and were supported by Honda dealers. Japan Honda exec's were worried it was too big when they first saw it. Besides the Ridgeline the tri-use platform has proven to be a amazing success for Honda.

From what I've read the S2000 was profitable, in it's marketing pitch to the Honda senior exec's were suspect of it's sales numbers after the failure of the NSX to get close to it's goal (25 cars a day where it was 5). IIRC the concept came out of American Honda but IDNK where the design teams came from.

Well, we here on AZ can't have it both ways? On one hand blaming the Americans for everything wrong and then saying that they're nothing but figureheads. I'm of the opinion that the projects are somewhat split by intended sales region and within the allocated budget, the LPL (for example) for the 2004 TL had a certain amount of independence to develop what he felt this market needed. Distinctly American product like the MDX(s) or on the Honda side the Odyssey are from the AHM side of the family for sure.

I just believe that we need to give credit where credit is due. Colliver and his team lead Honda/Acura through some huge growth from the late 90's up till 2009 when the TL debuted. One could argue that the success of things like the Odyssey, MDX, Accord, and TL allowed HMC to have some 'fun' with the S2000 (which probably didn't lose money, but probably didn't make a lot either).
Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dom
Not always, the Odyssey/Pilot/MDX/Ridgeline was all US Honda decision. Today truck sales account for ~45% of Honda US sales from almost nothing in the mid 90's, half of those sales are CRV which is a Japan Honda design but the rest are from US Honda design heavy truck platform.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Can't speak for anyone else but I've never blamed American execs because IMO, they're responsible for very little. Sure they have input into some styling and feature decisions but they're limited by what they have to work with, in this case very few platforms and power trains from Honda. Its not as if they have free reign to develop platforms and engines on their own. They've taken far too much of the blame IMO and yes, they have made some good choices but also made some poor ones.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Not always, the Odyssey/Pilot/MDX/Ridgeline was all US Honda decision.
Do you have any proof of this? Any insight into the inner workings at how Honda make decisions? Not saying you're wrong, but all we can do is guess and offer our opinions on who we think makes decisions. I work for a Japanese company and I'm of the opinion that the North American divisions are pretty much sales and marketing. Sell what your given...

And again, you guys are defending US execs but missing the point, Honda see's they have to fix some issue's. They're listening. Who cares who's fault it was.

Last edited by dom; 03-23-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dom
Do you have any proof of this? Any insight into the inner workings at how Honda make decisions? Not saying you're wrong, but all we can do is guess and offer our opinions on who we think makes decisions. I work for a Japanese company and I'm of the opinion that the North American divisions are pretty much sales and marketing. Sell what your given...

And again, you guys are defending US execs but missing the point, Honda see's they have to fix some issue's. They're listening. Who cares who's fault it was.
It was mentioned in the book, "The End of Detroit", in the chapter on Honda. Also it was mentioned in some other articles I read about the auto business. The non-powertrain design for 2G Ody and 1G Pilot/MDX was done in the US. I don't know about electrical or suspension design but the interior/exterior was all done in states from what I've read.

Amazon Amazon

Not necessarily defending Honda as presenting a balanced response in that it's not all doom and gloom. There have been some good decisions and bad lately, not just all bad as some present.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 03-23-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Well like I said, they work with what they're given. But in the end, final say comes from the East. I think we're in agreement about it not being all doom and gloom. Honda in particular is still doing quite well. My only issue is with you two claiming AZ has always blamed it on US execs. I never saw that happening. AZ complained about the product, didn't matter who was calling the shots, nor do I think people care who calls the shots. Make a good product, period.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
We should be millionaires.

Moog a billionaire.
While I would not say no to the $$$, I would call it "easy money".

Even a blind man could see for years now the epic failures of Honda.

Hopefully they turn it around.

They have a lot to do....and while your at it Honda, try mixing in a bit more quality and reliability.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dom
Well like I said, they work with what they're given. But in the end, final say comes from the East. I think we're in agreement about it not being all doom and gloom. Honda in particular is still doing quite well. My only issue is with you two claiming AZ has always blamed it on US execs. I never saw that happening. AZ complained about the product, didn't matter who was calling the shots, nor do I think people care who calls the shots. Make a good product, period.
Not really, American Honda drove the overall top-level design of the Ody/Pilot/MDX/Ridgeline. Their Japanese counterparts had to design the drive-train to met their specs. I suspect Japan did some or most of the electrical, not sure of the suspension. I never thought that a purpose built drive-train would be built exclusively for them but they did get a unique 4WD system that evolved to the SH-AWD system.

Couple amsuing stories on the 2G Ody. When the senior exec's came over from Japan for the first full-scale physical model unveiling many kept walking around it muttering "so big" in Japanese. Another was a bunch of American Honda marketing folks were doing research in mini-van usage, they were camcording the parents dropping off their their children at a elementary school dropoff loop. School officials noticed them, called police, police showed up and the Honda folks had to explain what they were doing.

I do agree that both sides are to blame for some of the recent fiasco's (4G TL, Crosstour, ZDX, 2012 Civic,...). How the original 4G TL design ever got approved in the final CDR for initial tooling was beyond me especially after the 3G TL.

And I also agree they need to get back to making good products, there are too many other good choices out there. Everyone agrees to that.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dom
Can't speak for anyone else but I've never blamed American execs
Originally Posted by dom
My only issue is with you two claiming AZ has always blamed it on US execs
Although I replied to you, but never said "you" specifically. This is why I wrote AZ and not Dom.

I never said that AZ "always" blames US execs either, I even included myself in the statement. I agree that it is a positive sign that they're reorganizing things to effect change, however, my personal concern is that things will become too 'consensus' driven where nobody wants to say "that grill is hideous."
Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

http://www.hondanews.com/channels/co...-celaya-mexico

03/28/2012 - CELAYA, Mexico

Honda de Mexico, S.A. de C.V. (HDM) laid the foundation stone for the construction of its new vehicle production plant in Celaya, Guanajuato at an event attended by Felipe Calderon Hinojosa, president of Mexico and Takanobu Ito, president & CEO of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. The plant will begin operation in 2014 with production of the Honda Fit subcompact model.

With this new facility in Mexico, Honda continues to advance its commitment to invest and grow its operations in North America. With growing demand for fuel-efficient vehicles, the new plant will increase Honda's ability to meet customer needs for subcompact vehicles from within North America.

Expected to employ approximately 3,200 associates at its full annual capacity of 200,000 units, the new Honda de Mexico plant in Celaya will produce the Honda Fit subcompact model both for the Mexican market and for the U.S. and Canadian markets, as well as other regions.

"Considering the needs of the Mexican market, which is expecting continued growth in the future, and also serving as a global production base for the North American region and beyond, we decided to make the Fit the first product to be produced here," Ito said.

Also, we will create a highly efficient production system that allows us to provide high quality products at an affordable price both by expanding the use of local parts and by utilizing global parts sourcing," he said.

The new plant will occupy 5.66 million-square meters near Celaya, Guanajuato, about 210 miles east of two existing HDM plants in El Salto, Jalisco, which build automobiles, motorcycles and auto parts.

The Celaya plant will apply Honda's advanced and highly efficient manufacturing system to produce both vehicles and engines. The new Honda plant will be the company's eighth auto plant – and its 10th auto assembly line – in North America. The new plant will boost Honda's capital investment in its North American operations to nearly US$21 billion.

Honda employs more than 33,000 associates in North America. Production operations related to automobiles include four auto plants, two auto engine production facilities and two transmission plants in the United States. In addition, Honda has two auto plants and an auto engine plant in Canada, and an auto plant in El Salto.

The new plant in Mexico will increase Honda's automobile production capacity in North America from 1.63 million units to 1.87 million in spring 2014. In 2011, more than 85 percent of the Honda and Acura cars and light trucks sold in the U.S. were produced in North America. In addition to region-specific models, including the Honda Odyssey, Pilot and Ridgeline, and the Acura TL, MDX and RDX, Honda produces key global models such as the Honda Civic, Accord and CR-V in North America. The addition of Fit production in Mexico means Honda will produce all four of its global models in North America.

Emphasizing Honda's commitment to environmental responsibility, 13 of Honda's 14 North American manufacturing plants operating in North America meet the ISO 14001 international environmental management standard.

About Honda De Mexico
HDM was established in September 1985, and began sales of motorcycle products in 1987. In March 1988, HDM started production of motorcycle products and automobile service parts in El Salto, Jalisco. An adjacent auto production plant opened in 1995 with production of the Honda Accord, switching to production of the Honda CR-V in 2007. HDM's current annual auto production capacity is 60,000 units.

About Honda in North America
Based on Honda's longstanding commitment to "build products close to the customer" Honda currently operates 14 manufacturing facilities in North America, producing a wide range of Honda and Acura automobiles, automobile engines and automatic transmissions, Honda all-terrain vehicles, and Honda power equipment products such as lawn mowers, mini-tillers and general purpose engines, using domestic and globally sourced parts.
Honda started local production in the U.S. with motorcycles in 1979. In 1982, Honda became the first Japanese automaker to produce passenger cars in the U.S. Honda has continued to expand its local production capabilities, and cumulative automobile production in North America surpassed 23 million units in 2011.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
AutoNews

TOKYO (Reuters) -- Honda said it more than doubled its quarterly operating profit as production recovered from a number of natural disasters last year.

The automaker also forecast a near-tripling of operating profit in the year ahead on surging Asian sales and a recovery in the United States, marking an emphatic rebound from a 2011 hammered by the yen's record strength and natural disasters.

Honda today reported operating profit for the January-March period of 111.98 billion yen ($1.4 billion), up from 46.21 billion yen the year before. Net profit, which includes earnings made in China, rose 60.7% to 71.59 billion yen, from 44.5 billion yen in 2011.

The results ended a 5-quarter decline in operating profits for Japan's No.3 automaker, after a 2011 hit by the yen's record strength, natural disasters and a crisis of reputation in its key U.S. market.

Honda suffered more than its rivals Toyota and Nissan from disasters in Japan and Thailand last year. It was the last Japanese carmaker to get its supply chain in order after Japan's massive earthquake and tsunami in March 2011, and only re-started work at its Thai car plant at the end of March this year after a 6-month break following October's floods.

10% U.S. market share target

Honda aims to recover a market share of more than 10% in the United States, its biggest and most profitable market, as soon possible, Executive Vice President Tetsuo Iwamura said today.

The overall U.S. market will likely grow to 14.3 million vehicles this year, up from 13.5 million seen at the end of 2011, Iwamura told a news conference.

"The North American market is slowly recovering, while we're entering new segments in Asia," Iwamura added. "We're expecting to grow faster than the overall market."

Honda is forecasting its global car sales to jump 38.4% to 4.3 million vehicles in 2012/13. It sees sales in North America rising 31.5% to 1.74 million vehicles, sales in Japan climbing by 20.7% to 710,000 and the rest of Asia by 56.5% to 1.31 million.

For the year to next March, Honda forecast an operating profit of 620 billion yen ($7.7 billion), up from 231.36 yen in the financial year just ended. The forecast was slightly behind analysts' consensus for 645 billion yen, but bullish nonetheless for a company noted for its conservative earnings guidance.

Intense scrutiny

Honda will make minor changes later this year to the year-old Civic after the latest version of the perennially popular model was panned by critics, raising deeper concerns over whether the automaker was slipping in a battlefield made tougher by products from Hyundai Motor Co. and resurgent U.S. rivals Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co.

Honda CEO Takanobu Ito has conceded that the company he took over in mid-2009 may have let down its guard during the previous decade of rapid expansion, while pulling back on vehicle development too much after the global financial crisis.

Honda is under intense scrutiny to redeem itself this fall with the next version of the Accord, which will be the 1st major model to carry a new generation of engines and transmissions that it hopes will make its future cars the most fuel-efficient in their categories.

Ito has put in place structural changes to respond more nimbly to competition. He is doubling as head of car operations for now. He also said this week that Honda would step up its game in China, where its market share has slipped in the past four years, announcing plans to boost output capacity and beef up its local r&d function.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
honda ceo takanobu ito has conceded that the company he took over in mid-2009 may have let down its guard during the previous decade of rapid expansion, while pulling back on vehicle development too much after the global financial crisis.
ya think?!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I love it when I'm right.

But besides the NSX that 99% of their customer will never own, I still haven't seen enough from Honda to believe they've done anything to turn things around. Lets start seeing some sporty offerings. Until then its all just lip service.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by dom

Until then its all just lip service.
..... and Honda is exceptionally good at it.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I love it when I'm right.

But besides the NSX that 99% of their customer will never own, I still haven't seen enough from Honda to believe they've done anything to turn things around. Lets start seeing some sporty offerings. Until then its all just lip service.

When Honda can get on par with Kia & Hyundai, then I will believe that they have started to turn things around.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb AutoNews

TOKYO -- Takanobu Ito took the helm of a teetering Honda Motor Co. in June 2009 with a curious mixture of pride and angst.

The global financial storm was bearing down hard. And his predecessor, Takeo Fukui, was ruthlessly slashing costs and gutting some of Honda's most promising programs, including the V-8 Acura and NSX sports car, to keep the company in the black.

"Feeling honored was 47% of my reaction,"
President Ito recalled of being tapped for the top job. "Thinking 'this is going to be very tough' was about 53%."

Indeed, for most of his tenure, Ito has struggled to right the ship.

But now, after 3 years in office, the blunt-talking executive who joined Honda because he wanted to work on motorcycles and airplanes is ready to put his recovery plan into action. Sweeping revival plans that he has quietly been slipping into place are taking hold.

The overhauls encompass everything from product planning and design to technology. Ito hopes they will not only recoup lost momentum but deliver record growth.

Little did he know in 2009 how tough the turnaround would be. The yen's climb to record-high, profit-eating exchange rates and then last year's double-punch of natural disasters hammered Honda hard.

And, worse, a company long praised for fleet-footed innovation was flat-footed on new product. Customers and critics snubbed nameplates such as the Honda Insight and CR-Z -- even the once-bulletproof Civic small car. Signs of big-company disease crept in; Honda was chasing numbers but had a tin ear for the market -- something even company leaders admit.

Honda had lost its mojo, and Ito knew it.

"I understand when people say that Honda had not been doing very much for two-and-a-half, three years," Ito, 58, said in a recent interview. "When people looked at it from the outside, they found it difficult to understand what was happening."

Yet behind the public facade of inaction, Ito was busy building a comeback strategy.

Hallmarks of his handiwork:
-- An overhaul of the company's entire drivetrain technology.

-- Global restructuring of product development.

-- New blood in design.

-- Streamlined management aimed at faster decision making.
This fall's high-stakes launch of the redesigned Honda Accord sedan -- marking the U.S. debut of the new powertrain -- will test Ito's efforts.

More changes will follow, including a next-generation Honda Fit small car arriving next year. The Fit will be produced through the company's radically new regionalized product development process. Also in the works is a new design language aimed at spicing up traditionally staid styling.

Motorcycle commuter

He was tapped by Fukui, then 64, as a hard-charging, think-outside-the-box upstart from a fresh generation. When asked to describe Ito during a press conference at the handover, Fukui said, "In a word, I would say 'tough.'"

A hands-on type known to commute to work on his Honda CB1100 motorbike, Ito likes to be in charge. When becoming president, he famously took on another role as head of Honda's development subsidiary, Honda R&D Co. He has since given up that duty, but it was his 2nd time in that post, speaking to his penchant for being in control.

But Honda has a hard climb ahead. It will take several years for the changes to appear in the entire lineup and trickle through the whole company. Meanwhile, rivals have capitalized on Honda's slump to steal U.S. sales and market share, leaving Honda in catch-up mode.

'Losing the brilliance'

"Honda was getting this reputation that we were losing the brilliance we used to have. And that's something we were starting to feel ourselves," says Toshinobu Minami, the new global head of exterior design appointed by Ito in September.

"The company has gotten so large, we were only pursuing efficiency. And probably during that time, we came to lose the uniqueness that the market came to expect from us," he says. "We probably started just thinking, 'Oh, this should do,' and stopped setting high targets or goals for ourselves."

Indeed, Honda's obsession with size manifested itself in the company's monthly sales and production reports. They invariably were headlined: "Honda sets all-time record for auto production."

Chasing record output was a key internal benchmark. So was maintaining healthy profits despite repeated financial blows.

Honda has never suffered a full-year loss, operating or net. But extreme cost-cutting was needed to stay in the black. That led Honda to kill the NSX, quit Formula 1 racing, cut jobs at home and abroad, drop plans for a minicar factory in Japan and go no-frills on interior design.

New global interior design chief Yoshinori Asahi linked the financial crisis to compromises in the "sense of quality or perceived quality" on Honda vehicles.

"That's what took shape in those criticisms from Consumers Reports," he says, referring to the influential U.S. magazine's decision last year to leave the Civic off its list of "recommended" vehicles for the 1st time in more than a decade.

Tech quest

Yet despite tight purse strings, Ito re-invested in new technology -- especially drivetrain technologies -- to compensate for Honda's lackluster hybrid system and to match the cutting-edge fuel-injection engines offered by rivals.

"We had to improve the fuel economy of our cars," Ito said. "I immediately began laying the preparations necessary to achieve this. We tried to innovate our engines and transmissions while also coming out with a fuller lineup of hybrid models."

What ensued was a suite of 6 new engines, 3 transmissions and 2 hybrid systems known collectively as Earth Dreams. The common thread is the addition of fuel-injection technology and continuously variable transmissions. A 1.6-liter diesel engine is also part of the mix, though there are no plans to bring that to the United States. The goal: to achieve industry-topping fuel efficiency in every vehicle class in 3 years.

Honda CFO Fumihiko Ike recalled that dropping Formula 1 racing was a key move in developing the Earth Dreams powertrains: "Previously we allocated between 600 to 800 people for Formula 1 racing. All those people are now involved with regular r&d."

Ito unveiled the technologies before last year's Tokyo Motor Show. The 1st U.S. car with the new powertrain, a direct-injection engine mated to a newly developed continuously variable transmission, will be the redesigned Accord.

Ito compares the impact of Earth Dreams to that of the famed CVCC engine project from the 1970s that cemented Honda's image as an engine company 1st and foremost.

"In talking about the impact on our business, it is as important as CVCC," Ito said. "This is very, very big."

R&D rethink

Yet Earth Dreams is only 1 piece of the plan.

Ito also blew up the company's traditional Japan-led product development strategy. The new approach empowers regional engineers to tailor cars to local tastes and local procurement.

Global nameplates will be developed in parallel at r&d centers in 6 operational regions -- Japan, North America, China, Asia-Pacific, South America and Europe. The cars will share certain main components such as engines and bodies, but other parts will differ according to local specifications and regional procurement possibilities.

The 1st car getting this treatment is the 3rd-generation Fit due next year.

To speed localization, Ito in February named Erik Berkman head of Honda R&D Americas, leading design and product development. He is the 1st non-Japanese executive in the post.

Ito also entrusted the United States with the production and some development responsibilities for the Acura NSX sports car. Ito, who worked on the original all-aluminum NSX that went on sale in 1990, resurrected the car to inject more excitement into the brand. He picked Ohio as the production site because North America is expected to be its biggest market.

Design do-over

Ito turned next to design, a nagging sore spot. The Acura brand had yet to latch on to an inspiring look, and the interior of the latest Civic was panned as plasticky.

Last September, Ito moved aside Nobuki Ebisawa, 58, after 7 years as global design chief to inject younger blood.

Enter Minami, 44, and new interior design chief Asahi, who quickly shook things up.

Work that had previously been handled solely by Ebisawa was split in 3. Minami handles exterior design; Asahi, now 48, gets the interior -- and both are freed from matters of budgets, personnel and materials. An administrator now does that.

"The idea is to have an emphasis on speed so we can make quick decisions and reactions," Minami says.

Another big change: No more design evaluation meetings.

The new design chiefs banned them. Instead, Minami and Asahi patrol the studios and make executive decisions on the fly about which sketches should be kicked upstairs to Ito.

"We just said, 'OK, evaluation meetings and report presentation meetings are prohibited,'" Asahi recalls. "You have to prepare so much presentation materials. It was a waste of time."

The 2 are now working on more expressive design language for Honda and Acura that will debut in full for the 2016 model year. Hints of the more edgy look can be seen in the NSX concept shown at January's Detroit auto show and the sleek Honda AC-X hybrid sedan concept shown at last year's Tokyo show.

Less red tape, more sales?

Outside design, Ito has also tried to cut red tape.

In April 2011, he eliminated a management layer between him and the division chiefs. Now Ito himself is in direct control of Honda's automobile division as its COO, with direct reports from only three unit heads, instead of five.

Ito's overhaul is still a work in progress. The 1st Earth Dreams technologies reach the market this year only in some models, and the new design language will debut even later.

Despite the benefits of the Earth Dreams drivetrains, the fuel injection and CVT systems are less a leapfrog ahead of the competition than a move to keep pace.

It is also unclear how either will be received. In the past, Honda trumpeted the integrated motor-assist mild hybrid system used in the Insight, CR-Z and Civic hybrids as a game-changer, only to lose the 1st round of the hybrid battle to Toyota and its Prius.

But Honda has key strengths, too.

It was the 1st Japanese automaker producing cars in the United States -- at its Marysville, Ohio, factory in 1982. Honda has relatively low exposure to auto exports from Japan. Exports account for only 9% of Honda's global sales, far less than at Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Mazda or Mitsubishi.

As a pioneer in localization, Honda has a deep bench of overseas engineering talent from which to draw. And it is buoyed by solid earnings in its motorcycle business

Ito's revival plan was delayed by a year; Honda lost most of 2011 rebuilding from the devastating earthquake in Japan and the massive flooding in Thailand.

Now, Ito vows that 2012 is the turning point.

Indeed, despite the unflattering reviews of the latest Civic, the car has been selling well in the United States, racking up its best May sales since 2008. It was the No. 2 selling U.S. car in May and is the 3rd-best seller for the 1st 5 months of 2012.

What's more, Honda ranked No. 1 in perceived quality among volume brands in the spring quality survey by ALG, the TrueCar Inc. subsidiary that sets residual values for the auto industry. It has held that spot since 2010.

Insiders say Ito also may unveil a midterm business plan, Honda's 1st since 2010. Confident that his fixes are taking hold, Ito is forecasting a return to sustainable growth with record global sales of 4.3 million units this fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2013.

"At Honda we need to grow and want to grow," Ito said. "Honda has never recorded global automobile sales exceeding 4 million units. But in the next fiscal year, we definitely want to do that and expand from there."

The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
dom (06-11-2012), Legend2TL (06-11-2012), ttribe (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Safety Car

Post Imports

Honda Motor Co. is carefully allocating shipments of cars to the United States because its exports there from Japan are "losing money," CFO Fumihiko Ike said.

Honda won't cut off all shipments of those imported nameplates, including the Fit subcompact and the Insight and CR-Z hybrids, Ike said. But he said the company needs to minimize the impact of such shipments on its balance sheet.

That means that in some cases dealers are getting fewer vehicles than they might like.

The long-term solution: Move more production to North America and buy more parts there, including components for hybrid powertrains.

"Under the current exchange rate of 80 yen per dollar, our export business doesn't make any profit," Ike told Automotive News. "Definitely, the absolute number of exports to the United States will be decreasing."

It's the 1st time a Japanese automaker has admitted that sending vehicles from Japan to the United States is a money-losing proposition.

Honda relies less on exports from Japan to the United States than its rivals and therefore is less exposed to losses from currency exchange rates. Honda already builds in North America roughly 85% of the vehicles that it sells there.

Toyota Motor Corp. and Nissan Motor Co., which build about 70% of their North American sales volume locally, also are reeling from exchange rate losses and scrambling to shift production of vehicles and components to North America.

Ike's comments suggest that his rivals are under even greater pressure to transfer production from Japan to North America.

Nissan said in January 2011 that it aims to halve the value of components and the number of vehicles it brings from Japan by early 2014. Toyota wants to build hybrids with locally sourced components in North America by 2015.

Honda keeps selling its money-losing exports in the United States partly to keep segments covered and retain customers.

"We need to keep our customer base," Ike said. Exports of money-losers will continue "just for the sake of our dealers. At least they have something" to sell.

"Especially last year because of the shortage of supply, American Honda didn't have enough cars to sell," he said, so the Japanese automaker kept shipping cars, such as certain Acuras and hybrid models, to the United States despite losses on those exports.

Honda already is tackling the problem. It will transfer production of the Fit small car to a plant that will open in Mexico in 2014. The Fit accounted for roughly a third of Honda's U.S. imports in 2010 and 2011.

In addition, the 2013 Acura ILX, which went on sale at the end of May, originally was planned for Honda's Sayama plant in Japan but instead is being built in Greensburg, Ind. It eventually may replace the imported TSX, although Honda has not confirmed that.

Limited exposure

Besides the Fit, some versions of the CR-V, limited-volume hybrids and Acura models are the main imports from Japan.

Overall, Honda's exports, and hence its exposure to currency swings, are limited. Last year exports of Honda and Acura vehicles to the United States accounted for less than 6% of the 3.1 million units Honda sold worldwide. But those exports to the United States still accounted for 3-quarters of the 235,000 vehicles Honda exported from Japan.

Through May, Fit sales in the United States fell 33% to 19,706 units. Sales also dropped 65% for the Insight, to 3,547; and 72% for the CR-Z, to 1,995. Those 3 nameplates accounted for 32% of Honda's import sales so far this year.

The Fit is the prime example of Honda's dilemma.

Asked whether Honda makes any profit on Fits sent to the United States, Ike said flatly, "No."

Even if Honda were making money on Fit exports, U.S. allocations probably would be tight. Fit sales in Japan are red hot because of a government incentive program that promotes sales of fuel-efficient cars, reducing the supply available for export.

But, Ike added: "We need to keep the customer base and demographics, especially [with] hatchbacks for the younger generation. For them, it's a very good car."

Demand for the Fit is much higher than supply, said John Hawkins, president of Metro Honda in suburban Los Angeles. But he and other dealers have suspected that Honda was holding back on shipping cars because they can't make as much money on yen-denominated vehicles in the United States as in Japan.

Not profitable for dealers

Because the Fit "is not a profitable car for Honda, it's priced so it's not a profitable car for dealers," Hawkins said. "In a competitive market, people are buying the deal, and there's no deal to be had on a Fit. As soon as they complete that Mexico plant, it will be priced competitive. And I don't think they hit the mark on Insight, so why should Honda give any remedial activity on a product that missed?"

Other dealers say demand for fuel-efficient Hondas is not as great as for core vehicles such as the Civic, Accord, CR-V, Pilot and Odyssey -- all built in North America --which typically carry better margins for dealers and salespeople. So salespeople push core vehicles when a customer walks in the door. About a quarter of the CR-Vs sold in the United States through May were imported.

Jerry Goddard, general manager of Hennessy Honda in Woodstock, Ga., said he can rely on "fickle Atlantans" to come running for Fits and Insights when gasoline is at $4.50 a gallon. But with gas at $3.50, "everyone forgets we have a hybrid."

"I asked my salesmen if anyone got any calls for a CR-Z, and nobody raised a hand," Goddard said.

To cut its losses further, Ike said, Honda aims to shift production of hybrid cars and their hybrid components to North America "within a few years."

He said: "We are not just simply shifting assembly from Japan to the United States. Of course, we have to expand local procurement, otherwise it's not cost-effective."

Looking for batteries

Honda engineers already are scouting local suppliers of such hybrid components as lithium ion batteries.

The hybrid version of the ILX is the only hybrid manufactured by Honda in the United States. But its battery comes from Japan.

Honda will build the Acura NSX sports car in Ohio within 3 years with a hybrid drivetrain, though volume will be small.

U.S. hybrid sales of at least 100,000 units would justify localized production, Ike said. But Honda's hybrid sales are way off that pace. Honda currently imports the Civic hybrid, the CR-Z sporty hybrid and the Insight hybrid hatchback from Japan.

Last year their combined U.S. sales totaled only 31,582.

Honda aims to boost hybrid sales with a new hybrid Accord sedan scheduled to arrive this winter.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:30 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Ito unveiled the technologies before last year's Tokyo Motor Show. The 1st U.S. car with the new powertrain, a direct-injection engine mated to a newly developed continuously variable transmission, will be the redesigned Accord.
Does anyone know if both the 2.4 and 3.5 in the new Accord will be of the ED variety? I don't think we've seen confirmation yet but from what we've heard I'm led to believe only the 2.4 will be ED and the 3.5 will be a carry over (like it was in the RDX) until the ED version is ready. Likely after it debuts in the new RL.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Previously we allocated between 600 to 800 people for Formula 1 racing.

That seems like a lot of people they could have used before for the ED drivetrains.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Given the EPA ratings and performance numbers of the RDX, I think the same powertrain in the Accord V6 would be very competitive since it will be a few hundred pounds lighter and less drag. ED version would be icing on the cake IMO.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by iforyou
Given the EPA ratings and performance numbers of the RDX, I think the same powertrain in the Accord V6 would be very competitive since it will be a few hundred pounds lighter and less drag. ED version would be icing on the cake IMO.
Ya, I agree. Nothing wrong with the current J in an Accord, and it is getting the 6AT so that should help. Just more curious than anything else. Guess we'll see how they spin the marketing for the ED 2.4 vs the "old" engine in the V6.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by biker

That seems like a lot of people they could have used before for the ED drivetrains.
Of course, and look at the great resul.....oh wait.

I'm hoping that Ferrari, Mclaren and the other successfult teams of that era had far more people on their F1 staff's or that looks really bad on Honda.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Race Director

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...e-cars-to-us/1

Honda is limiting exports to the U.S. of some Japan-made cars because it's losing money on them, Honda CFO Fumihiko Ike told Automotive News.

The weekly trade journal reports Ike's comments today and says this is the first admission by a Japanese car company that it's losing money on exports to the U.S. The issue is the dollar's weakness vs. the yen, which cuts the value of a U.S. sale.

"Under the current exchange rate of 80 yen per dollar, our export business doesn't make any profit," Ike told Automotive News. "Definitely, the absolute number of exports to the United States will be decreasing."

The exchange issue is why foreign automakers, including Honda, have aggressively expanded production plants in the U.S. in recent years, as well as other operations, from design studios to proving grounds. Vehicles built where they are sold escape the foreign-exchange trap, because the costs and sales revenue are in the same currency.

Honda already makes almost 90% of the vehicles it sells here at North American plants. It's building another one in Mexico and expanding production in other U.S. factories.

U.S.-market Hondas made in Japan and possibly in low supply include the Fit subcompact, Insight hybrid, CR-Z hybrid, Civic hybrid and Acura TSX.

Ike told AN that Honda will move more hybrid production to North America "within a few years."

Toyota and Nissan wouldn't say if they, too, lose money on cars shipped to the U.S., but both noted they are shifting production to North America.

"We're focused on localizing," producing here 85% of vehicles sold here by the end of next year, up from 70%, said Nissan's U.S. spokesman, David Reuter. The Rogue SUV, for example, now is made in Japan but will be built at Smyrna, Tenn., next summer.

Toyota builds in North America 72.5% of the vehicles it sells here. "Our executives say we don't want knee-jerk reactions, but the long-term goal is to build them where we sell them," said U.S. spokesman Mike Michels. "That insulates us to a greater extent" from currency issues.

Honda will continue to ship some money-losers to the U.S. because, "We need to keep our customer base," Ike told AN, and "for the sake of our dealers. At least they have something."

Honda's U.S. officials hinted at the problem recently in explaining low sales of the redone Insight hybrid, saying it was due to fewer to sell, not low appeal. There are more profitable markets elsewhere for Insight, Honda said.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Race Director

Biker, who thinks someone will chime in with some colorful comments because of this ^
Old 06-12-2012, 07:56 AM
AZ Community Team

In the past, Honda used to rotate production drivetrain engineers through the F1 and Indycar engine programs. So I would suspect/guess many of those engineers have/had already worked on production drivetrains.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by dom
Ya, I agree. Nothing wrong with the current J in an Accord, and it is getting the 6AT so that should help. Just more curious than anything else. Guess we'll see how they spin the marketing for the ED 2.4 vs the "old" engine in the V6.
Assuming Honda continues with the J series in the AV6, I expect it to be faster than the TSX V6 due to 6AT and less weight than current accord (so even bigger difference relative to the TSX V6).
Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Safety Car

Question 2004 TL was Controversial

Erik Berkman’s iPhone wallpaper isn’t of his wife, children or dog. When Honda (7267) Motor Co.’s new North American development chief gets a text message, he sees a background picture of the automaker’s V-6 IndyCar racing engine.

Dario Franchitti won the Indianapolis 500 last month using the engine designed by a team led by Berkman, who was at the track known as the Brickyard to watch. Motor-sports passion -- central to founder Soichiro Honda, who said, “If Honda does not race, there is no Honda” -- will be an asset if Berkman can apply the same speed and creativity to product development.

In April Erik Berkman became the first American to lead North American research and product development for Tokyo-based Honda. Source: Honda via Bloomberg

Honda’s 1st American president of R&D for the region is helping shape everything from a modified Civic and new Accord due this year to an overhaul of the Acura line that includes the NSX supercar. The 30-veteran of Tokyo-based Honda plans to win back its reputation for innovative cars in the face of improving Korean, U.S. and German competition as well as critical reviews.

“I know that there is a particularly high expectation for Honda to get back that magic it had at 1 time,” said Berkman, 53, in an interview last month at his new domain, the vast R&D center in Raymond, Ohio. “What are we going to do, complain that expectations are too high for us? That we want low expectations? That’s not right.”

Product development and engine innovations have a special place at Honda, which has been led since its beginning only by engineers, even as tight business controls appear to have led it to take fewer risks on core models in the past decade.

Sporty Ride

Along with overseeing 8 U.S.-developed Honda and Acura models, Berkman has to find a way to add content and upgrade interiors within a company that controls spending so tightly it made money even through the recession, natural disasters and exchange rate pain. Honda is the only major automaker to have never had an annual loss.

While Honda and Toyota Motor Corp. (7203) won fans in the 1970s for durable cars that were inexpensive and fuel-efficient, Honda boasted the sportier ride, reflecting the founder’s racing fervor. Honda’s R&D Americas president has to get that back.

“Honda is off the rails; they still build a great car, but they aren’t leaders,” said John Wolkonowicz, an independent analyst in Boston who specializes in automotive history. “In the ’80s Honda, had the best cars on the market. They drove the best, had great fuel economy and people really loved them.”

While Honda’s U.S. sales in 2007 more than doubled the combined U.S. deliveries of Hyundai Motor Co. (005380) and affiliate Kia Motors Corp. (000270), the Koreans were within 1% of Honda last year. Accord, the best-selling car in the U.S. in 2001, has been topped by Toyota’s Camry every year since then. Toyota’s Corolla has exceeded Civic’s U.S. sales annually since 2003.

Honda’s Man

Berkman may be the ideal man for the job he started April 1, succeeding Hiroshi Takemura, who returned to Japan as deputy director of automobile operations. The compact engineer with close-cropped brown hair joined Honda in 1982 when it started making cars in the U.S. in Marysville, Ohio. His only automotive job before that was with a company John DeLorean hired to turbocharge DeLorean Motor Co.’s DMC-12 gull-winged sports cars.

After starting as a production engineer, Berkman moved to Honda’s U.S. R&D unit in 1991, working on models including the 1994 Accord wagon, 1999 Odyssey minivan and 2001 Acura CL coupe. His biggest success was leading development of the 2004 Acura TL sport sedan.

Before it became one of Acura’s best-selling cars, it was far from universally loved within Honda. High-end content, such as performance brakes by Italy’s Brembo SpA (BRE), was seen as too costly. The exterior styling was too edgy and polarizing.

TL Controversy

“It was so controversial, it almost didn’t happen,” Berkman recalled. “It was too much for some people.”

Reactions to the TL’s design in consumer clinics didn’t clarify the situation, Berkman said. “Half the people said they loved it, half of them hated it,” he said.

Ultimately, his vision of the car was approved for production. More than 77,000 were sold in its 1st full year, making it 2004’s top luxury sedan.

“I fought for the 1 I wanted, and it worked,” he said.

Honda is counting on those instincts to come through again. Honda President Takanobu Ito, who worked with Berkman at the U.S. R&D center in the 1990s, and Executive Vice President Tetsuo Iwamura, head of North American operations, have high expectations for him.

“Through his career, he has a very good understanding of Honda,”
Iwamura said in a March interview at Honda’s U.S. headquarters in Torrance, California. “What we expect him to do is, through this good knowledge and experience, fulfill his dream of making North America strong.”

Civic Tweaks

Honda is looking better in 2012 already. With the factories again running at full capacity, U.S. sales have expanded 10% this year, buoyed by a 48% increase last month. While the company has easy comparisons with last year’s disaster-limited results, it has 3 models among the top 10 sellers in the U.S. this year: the midsize Accord, CR-V compact sport-utility vehicle and the Civic.

The 2012 Civic drew a harsh review in Consumer Reports in August 2011 and failed to win the magazine’s “recommend” designation. The non-profit publication for decades consistently placed Honda models among its top picks. The magazine said the new car, compared with the version it replaced, had a choppier ride, less agility, longer stopping distances, more road noise and a worse interior.

Berkman has helped to fix it midstream. The model’s mid- cycle refresh, due in about 3 months, was moved up by about a year. Among the improvements will be better interior materials, he said.

“There’s an opportunity with the minor model change to tweak Civic,” Berkman said. “If we do that, we’ll knock off one more criticism.”

‘Earth Dreams’

He’s planning changes in styling, materials, driving dynamics and technology across the Honda and Acura model lines.

That begins this year with a revamped Accord featuring Honda’s new “Earth Dreams” family of engines and related technology, including continuously variable transmissions, the company’s 1st such powertrain change in a decade. Honda previously used CVTs only on small cars made in Japan.

Starting with the 2013 Accord, the new transmission, with an infinite number of gear ratios, replaces the current 5- speed automatic to aid fuel-economy and performance, Berkman said. The engine line, with displacement ranges from 660 cubic centimeters to 3.5 liters, is being added to every new Honda model starting with Accord.

“You’re going to find that Accord is a very well-balanced product that is the best overall product in everything, whether we’re talking about interior packaging, content of the vehicle, the fuel economy of the vehicle,” he said. It “will be 1 of the most feature-rich vehicles we’ve ever made,” he said, without elaborating.

Acura Supercar

Acura, Honda’s premium brand that some auto reviewers don’t regard as a full-fledged luxury line, will also see new styling and benefit from technology such as the high-performance hybrid system going into the NSX, he said. The car, likely to cost more than $100,000, will be raced as well as sold, Ito said in Detroit in January.

The NSX will go on sale in about 2 years, Honda has said. An ad for the car that ran during this year’s Super Bowl featured comedians Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno.

Berkman said his team is eager to shake off the idea that Honda’s vehicles have become bland or lack the value of its glory days.

“Having high expectations or pressure is what’s necessary to get us to a point where we’re performing,” he said. “We want everybody to fall over and go: There it is again. There’s that Honda we used to praise.”

Last edited by TSX69; 06-15-2012 at 07:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
Legend2TL (06-15-2012), ttribe (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Race Director

You’re going to find that Accord is a very well-balanced product that is the best overall product in everything, whether we’re talking about interior packaging, content of the vehicle, the fuel economy of the vehicle,
So the new Accord will beat Altima's 38 MPG HWY?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 PM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

Neither one of the two cars is out in the market, so we can only wait and see.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:16 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

So the new Accord will beat Altima's 38 MPG HWY?
Current Accord with its 5AT is already getting 34mpg on the highway. 38mpg should be achievable with 6AT (MDX gets 1mpg more from an extra ratio), DI (usually good for 10% gain, in this case, over 3mpg). The new model is supposed to be lighter too.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:04 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

“I know that there is a particularly high expectation for Honda to get back that magic it had at 1 time,” said Berkman, 53, in an interview last month at his new domain, the vast R&D center in Raymond, Ohio. “What are we going to do, complain that expectations are too high for us? That we want low expectations? That’s not right.”
Clearly this guy gets it.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by iforyou
Current Accord with its 5AT is already getting 34mpg on the highway. 38mpg should be achievable with 6AT (MDX gets 1mpg more from an extra ratio), DI (usually good for 10% gain, in this case, over 3mpg). The new model is supposed to be lighter too.
Only the V6 gets the 6AT - the 4 cyl models will have the CVT - like the Altima. Weight mainly affects the city mileage number. The HWY number is mostly decided by engine/drivetrain efficiency and .cd. My bike weighs only 700 lbs but only manages 45 MPG HWY because of ineffiecient engine/drivetrain and lots of drag.

Last edited by biker; 06-15-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Current 34mpg + DI + CVT + lighter weight & aerodynamics (presumably) should equal 39-40mpg's?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 PM
2G TLX-S

Digging up some current numbers :

2012 Accord sedan, 3279 lbs
2.4L-I4, 177hp, 5AT, city/highway : 23/34 mpg.

2012 Altima sedan, 3180 lbs
2.5L-I4, 175hp, CVT, city/highway : 23/32 mpg.

Like others have said, it doesn't look that difficult for the new Accord to go from 34 mpg to 38+ mpg with the new DI EarthDream motor and also the more fuel efficient CVT tranny.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:55 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Only the V6 gets the 6AT - the 4 cyl models will have the CVT - like the Altima. Weight mainly affects the city mileage number. The HWY number is mostly decided by engine/drivetrain efficiency and .cd. My bike weighs only 700 lbs but only manages 45 MPG HWY because of ineffiecient engine/drivetrain and lots of drag.
My bad..yes, the 4 cyl models come with CVT...which is most likely even more efficient than the 6AT. Yup, weight mainly affects the city mileage number - and I really want to see what sort mileage the car would get in the city.

Quick Reply: Honda: Sales, Marketing and Financial News