Honda: Ridgeline News

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by domn
Which explains why the 3.5L Honda trails the 3.5L Nissan in TQ. The Nissan VQ is pushing 298 and 270 lb-ft which is 10 lb-ft more than the RL.

If more bore than stroke is what they need then they should make it so. I just don't see why not
Because it costs a lot of money to redesign an engine and create the new castings. Honda has essentially been doing evolutionary changes to existing engine block designs to create new ones. Plus, Honda doesn't see the use of all the torque since most of its cars are FWD and cannot handle the added twisting force without torque steer. Ultimately, I think it will take new management at Honda for a completely radical engine design to come through along with the introduction of new platforms (hopefully RWD or AWD).
Old 11-03-2004, 04:08 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Because it costs a lot of money to redesign an engine and create the new castings. Honda has essentially been doing evolutionary changes to existing engine block designs to create new ones. Plus, Honda doesn't see the use of all the torque since most of its cars are FWD and cannot handle the added twisting force without torque steer. Ultimately, I think it will take new management at Honda for a completely radical engine design to come through along with the introduction of new platforms (hopefully RWD or AWD).

You can be green and mean at the same time IMO.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by corbs
Nobody else that was funny?

Missed that
Old 11-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Ultimately, I think it will take new management at Honda for a completely radical engine design to come through along with the introduction of new platforms (hopefully RWD or AWD).
Until Honda starts making some real trucks like Toyota and Nissan, they won't be forced to invest lots of $$$ for truck engines.. And I don't think RWD or AWD would be the reason for the engine redesign, IMO.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by majormojo

As Aaaanold said it in Predator "Your one uuugly muddafucker..."
Old 11-03-2004, 04:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Name
Old 11-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Drifting

I don't think it's really ungly.. ugly is buick rendezvous...
I don't know who Honda's trying to fool here calling this a truck. But it's not a pickup truck, it's a crossover with open trunk! yuk!!
Old 11-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by domn
Missed that

Missed it too.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Better yet, they could call it a Sports Lifestyle Utility Truck.
I'd like a Honda SLUT
Old 11-03-2004, 04:47 PM
such a dirty birdy

See? Interest in the vehicle is picking up already.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:39 PM
bleh...

Originally Posted by jcg878
:ghey:
Not only does it have a V6 and looks ugly, but the name of the truck also sounds dumb.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:40 PM
bleh...

enough said....
Old 11-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Safety Car

Wonder how they will price this thing. With the new Tacoma and Frontier turning into fairly large trucks with powerful v6's I can't see this exactly being an easy segment.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
I'd like a Honda SLUT

You need to get out more, TRU.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:06 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe this SUT is just a stopgap. Honda need a truck of some kind in the market because trucks are very profitable and also had to get a foot hold into this segment. Its the 2nd gen of this SUT I think we should all be waiting for.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Racer

that thing is butt ugly. What is the matter with Honda design (an oxymoron). Acura has clearly turned a design corner, very positively, yet Honda seems to be following the late '90s Pontiac crew. yuck...
Old 11-04-2004, 08:06 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ugly name and even uglier truck.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Honda to use Super Bowl's 'perfect platform' to introduce new Ridgeline pickup - - By JAMIE LAREAU | Automotive News - - Source: AUtoweek
Old 12-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

I bet i will look hot after all the bandages are taken off

I think it will sell well.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:22 PM
bleh...

Originally Posted by titan
Don't like it.
I don't like it either and the name is :ghey: too. I wonder if this Super Bowl ad will help or not cuz looks isn't going to sell this truck. I think it will flop.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Suzuka Master

that has to be one of the worst names for a truck ever
Old 12-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

"Honda to use Super Bowl's 'perfect platform' to introduce new Ridgeline pickup"

"American Honda Motor Co. Inc. will use the Super Bowl to launch its mid-sized pickup.

Tom Peyton, Honda's senior manager of national advertising, calls the Feb. 6 National Football League championship game "the perfect platform to really launch that truck and get it exposed for the first time."

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101339
Old 12-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Maybe next year they'll do the same thing to introduce the "NSX"
Old 12-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Old fart

awesome!!

Still not happy with the name...
Old 12-04-2004, 10:48 PM
White and Nerdy

I think it looks butt ugly...like if they were designing a truck for "Robocop 4" (I think we are up to 4 in the Robocop series, no?). Hopefully the usual transition from "concept" to "reality" will temper some of the ugliness.

Then again, trucks usually ain't all that pretty (though some are).
Old 12-05-2004, 04:01 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Then again - I'm a self-described sports sedan afficianado. Trucks/SUV's are slow, sloppy and thirsty. Granted, I have nothing against people who really need cargo space, towing capability, off-road usability...but that only describes about 10% of all people who buy these pigs.

As for the Ridgeline, I have one word: FUGLY!!!

Honda - I can't believe this is the best you could come up with
Old 12-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Über Geek

I think it's going to bomb. Americans want their trucks to look like trucks. Which is code for simple, tough and NOT foreign.

The first fullish-size Toyota truck (the T100? T1000?) was a spectacular flop. Partly 'cause of its looks. The Isuzu VehiCROSS? Dud. Even the new Nissan is selling pretty poorly.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:48 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I think it looks cool, and I'm really not into trucks.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Teh ?

Let's see how many Honda loyalists are wanting an underpowered mid sized truck...

Junkster, who figures the commercial will at least be cool
Old 12-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

BTW: If anyone is interested in a Ridgeline Forum, then here is a site for ya:

http://www.h4wd.com/truck/portal.php
Old 12-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Old fart

Originally Posted by DEI99662
BTW: If anyone is interested in a Ridgeline Forum, then here is a site for ya:

http://www.h4wd.com/truck/portal.php
how come you haven't posted there yet? You could be #1 in posts there
Old 12-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
how come you haven't posted there yet? You could be #1 in posts there

Unlike you, I am not a PW.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I think it looks cool, and I'm really not into trucks.
...and that's why you think it looks cool.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:55 PM
That blowed up real good!

Originally Posted by captainjack
I think it's going to bomb. Americans want their trucks to look like trucks. Which is code for simple, tough and NOT foreign.
Yup.

Does a Texas built Tundra count as foreign?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Safety Car

Considering the way people have accepted the tundra and titan, I would say the ridgeline is going to be in line like the rest of the jdm companies to try and break up this american only truck buyers group. For one, they are going to have to cut msrp's so hard that buyers will no longer recognize them as honda dealers and considering the dicks honda dealers are, it will be hard.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Considering the way people have accepted the tundra and titan, I would say the ridgeline is going to be in line like the rest of the jdm companies to try and break up this american only truck buyers group. For one, they are going to have to cut msrp's so hard that buyers will no longer recognize them as honda dealers and considering the dicks honda dealers are, it will be hard.
And it'll be even worse since the Ridgeline isn't nearly as tough/manly as the Tundra and Titan are.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:27 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Ridgeline Production News/Photos

Honda Ridgeline Truck Unveiled at 2005 North American International Auto Show
All-new 4WD Honda truck will debut as 2006 model

The Honda Ridgeline truck made its world debut today at the 2005 North American International Auto Show as American Honda Motor Co., Inc., announced plans for the launch of its innovative new truck at Honda dealerships nationwide in March of this year as a 2006 model.

Developed as a next generation truck, the Ridgeline takes advantage of an innovative new truck body construction and a steel reinforced composite bed to deliver true truck capabilities including half-ton hauling and 5,000-pound towing, along with next-generation truck styling, performance and packaging. The Ridgeline boasts the pickup truck segment's first four-wheel, fully independent suspension system combined with an advanced fully automatic four-wheel drive system to deliver superior ride and handling versus traditional truck designs, and a number of exclusive new features including a Dual-Action tailgate and the industry's first In-Bed Trunk(TM).

"The truck market is evolving and we think Ridgeline is at the leading edge of the trend," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "The Honda Ridgeline delivers all the capabilities of a truck with none of the traditional truck trade-offs. It combines Honda innovation, Honda engineering and Honda's commitment to environmental and safety leadership in a next generation truck package."

Highlights of the new Ridgeline truck include:

* Fully Integrated Closed Box Frame with unit body construction
* Next-generation styling with integrated cab and bed
* Steel reinforced composite bed with dual action tailgate and In-Bed Trunk
* Half-ton (1,100-pound) bed loading capability
* 255-horsepower 3.5-liter SOHC VTEC V-6 engine
* Standard 5,000 lb. towing capability
* Independent front and rear suspension
* Advanced VTM-4WD four-wheel-drive system
* Standard Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and Traction Control
* Standard side curtain airbags with rollover sensor, front side airbags and ABS with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)

Fully-Integrated Closed Box Frame

Honda engineers developed a new truck body construction, a fully integrated truck frame with two longitudinal frame rails and seven high-strength steel cross members that create a fully boxed, deep channel, ladder frame structure fully integrated into the upper body of the vehicle. Body bending rigidity is more than 2.5 times stiffer than the best performing body-on-frame compact truck competitor and rear torsion rigidity is more than 20 times stiffer. Fully 93 percent of the Ridgeline's frame components are exclusive to this model.

Steel Reinforced Composite Bed with In-Bed Trunk and Dual-Action Tailgate

For hauling, the Ridgeline features a steel reinforced, five-foot, composite truck bed (6.5 feet with the tailgate down) designed to carry up to a half-ton of cargo. An exclusive new Dual Action tailgate features a high-strength steel frame and has the ability to flip down or swing out, providing easier access for loading and unloading of bulky cargo or loose materials such as gravel or mulch. Designed as the hub for Honda motorcycle, marine and power equipment product activity, the Ridgeline can haul a full-size ATV or two of Honda's largest off-road motorcycles. Due to its wide bed and minimal wheel arch intrusion, the Ridgeline can also carry 4-foot wide sheets of building material flat on the floor, something no other compact or mid-size truck can do.

Incorporated into the floor of the bed is one of the Ridgeline's most innovative new features: an In-Bed Trunk. Accessed by lifting up the hinged rear portion of the bed floor, the In-Bed Trunk features 8.5 cu.-ft. of secure, lockable and water resistant storage space. The spare tire is stored in a sliding tray inside the trunk and can accommodate a full-size spare tire.

Next-generation Powertrain

The Ridgeline's powertrain is designed for excellent all-around performance, including towing, with class-leading fuel economy and ultra-low (ULEV) emissions. Its high-output, 3.5-liter VTEC V-6 engine produces 255 horsepower and 252 lb.-ft. of torque. Unique in the class, the Ridgeline provides a standard 5-speed automatic transmission and fully automatic four-wheel drive system.

The Ridgeline's standard Variable Torque Management 4-Wheel Drive System (VTM-4WD) is designed for excellent all-weather handling, traction and off-road ability, and can transfer up to 70 percent of available torque to the rear wheels. The Ridgeline delivers EPA-rated fuel economy of 16/21 for city/highway driving and is the first pickup to meet stringent Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle (ULEV) standards in all 50 states.

Honest 5,000-pound Towing

In addition, the Ridgeline was designed to handle the kinds of towing and off-road duties most common to truck users. The Ridgeline has a long list of standard equipment geared for towing duties including transmission and power steering coolers, pre-wiring for trailer connections, a dual fan radiator, heavy-duty brakes and an exclusive fresh air intake system. This gives Ridgeline the ability to tow 5,000-pound loads with two passengers and their cargo, with only the addition of a trailer hitch.

Spacious and Versatile 5-passenger interior

Inside, the Ridgeline boasts a spacious, five-passenger cabin with interior space similar to that of a full-size truck, including the most generous rear seat legroom for a four-door pickup. The versatile second-row bench has storage space under the seat large enough to hold a set of golf clubs or other oversized items, and features a 60/40-split lift-up rear seat allowing for storage of even bulkier items like a full-size mountain bike. With its improved packaging efficiency, Ridgeline delivers all this space and utility in a more maneuverable and garage-friendly mid-size truck package. Other interior highlights include large and easy to manipulate audio and HVAC controls, a steering-column mounted shift lever and an available voice-activated navigation system.

Safety Leadership

In keeping with Honda's industry-leading "Safety for Everyone" initiative, all Ridgeline models come equipped with a long list of standard safety features including 4-wheel anti-lock brakes with Electronic Brake Distribution, side curtain airbags with rollover sensor and Vehicle Stability Assist with Traction Control. Unit body construction allows for dispersion of collision forces through more load bearing channels than a traditional body-on-frame design.

North American Development and Production

Honda R&D Americas' Ohio and Los Angeles Centers were responsible for the design and development of the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline is Honda R&D Americas' fourth light truck development following the Acura MDX, Honda Pilot and Honda Element. Production of the Ridgeline will be done by Honda of Canada Manufacturing. This is the fourth exclusive new light truck model launch by Honda's Alliston, Ontario, plant, beginning with the previous generation Odyssey and followed by the MDX and Pilot.

The Ridgeline will be available in three well-equipped trim levels, the RT, RT-S and RT-L. Standard features on all models will include a 5-speed automatic transmission; VTM-4WD; Vehicle Stability Assist with Traction Control; side curtain airbags; ABS with EBD; power windows, mirrors and locks; air conditioning; cruise control; lockable In-Bed Trunk; Dual Action tailgate and towing package. Pricing is not yet finalized, but is expected to be in the range of $27,000 to $32,000. Approximately 50,000 trucks are expected to be sold in the first 12 months.

Additional media information and photography is available at www.hondanews.com. Consumer information is available at www.honda.com.

I think the styling should have been alittle more toned down but otherwise Honda hit the mark IMO. 5000lbs towing cap is "enough" and that trunk in the bed was ingenious. They should have no problem hitting their goal of 50,000.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

I still dont think it looks like a "truck." It reminds me of an Avalanche aka SUT.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:28 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Definently looks too much like an avalanche. But the overall execution hit the mark.

Most people don't need to be able to tow 9000lbs which is common with most new Pick ups. It can tow plenty and carry more than enough in a cheaper, more comfortable package thats better on gas.

I am surprised at the relatively low HP number though. I was expecting 270-280HP at least.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

I bet in a few years Honda will put at least 300 horsepower in it.

I wonder what a snow plow will look like on this.

Quick Reply: Honda: Ridgeline News