Honda: Ridgeline News **2017 Model Revealed (page 13)** - Page 15 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Honda: Ridgeline News **2017 Model Revealed (page 13)**

Old 05-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #561
You'll Never Walk Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by myron View Post
I would like it more if it had the SH-AWD like the acura have. Looks wise I like it a lot
More of less, it does, just like the Pilot. It's mainly the software and tuning that are different from SH-AWD. My take is that SH-AWD focuses more on handling, while the Honda version is more about off-road capabilities.
iforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #562
Alright, alright, alright

Thanked 1,282 Times in 833 Posts
Reviews are fairly positive and full of features, time will tell if the selective US pickup truck market will accept another FWD based uni-body design from Honda. I like the interior alot more.
Legend2TL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #563
2013 Ford Focus ST

Thanked 1,128 Times in 704 Posts
I like it besides the silly chrome at the top of the grille. Ugh.

And is that chrome on the rear sides of the bumper? More ugh.
RPhilMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #564
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
More of less, it does, just like the Pilot. It's mainly the software and tuning that are different from SH-AWD. My take is that SH-AWD focuses more on handling, while the Honda version is more about off-road capabilities.
myron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:51 AM   #565
Registered Member

Honda Ridgeline challenges competition

Stones dropping everywhere

Honda is trying to show up both Chevy and Ford in a video just released showing that the Ridgeline’s truck bed stands up to a load of concrete stones better than the competition.

This test is similar to the tests Chevy ran on the Silverado and F-150, but this one produced decidedly different results. Since the Ridgeline has a standard composite bed, the damage to it was minimal compared to the denting and scratching seen in the Silverado.

Chevy ran the test 12 times on their truck where Honda only shows results from one drop.

Honda filmed the drop, clean-up and results in one take, showing complete transparency in their testing. It’s a small difference from Chevy’s video, but one that we took notice of.

The test itself is but one measure to determine a truck’s toughness and durability, and it’s not necessarily something most of us would experience day to day use. Still, check the video out for yourself; it’s a worth a watch.
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:53 AM   #566
Registered Member

The Following User Says Thank You to biker For This Useful Post:
00TL-P3.2 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #567
I love tacos

Thanked 3,360 Times in 2,520 Posts
Awesome video.

I really can't stand that massive "H" on the box gate though minor, but ugly.

It's nice to see Honda kept the functionality of the 1G Ridgeline box though, with the gate and the storage compartment. My brother uses both of those features a ton on his Ridgeline.
TacoBello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:47 PM   #568
You'll Never Walk Alone

Interesting video. Thanks for sharing!
iforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #569
astronaut

Thanked 1,638 Times in 953 Posts
rocktrop?
speeded?

AZuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #570
Nom-nom-nom!!!

My dealership has several RL's on the lot. I must say that the RL Black Edition looks pretty good in person (looks like crap in photos), but no way I'm dropping $40k+ for that...
TSX_831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #571
astronaut

Thanked 1,638 Times in 953 Posts
AZuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #572
Registered Member

Local dealer has an RTL in their showroom. Not a bad truck, though back seat legroom looks a little tight.
Definitely looks better in person than in photos.
00TL-P3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #573
Registered Member

Thanked 1,011 Times in 489 Posts
Thumbs up BloomBerg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-12/honda-s-pickup-truck-is-beating-ford-at-its-own-game
Honda’s Pickup Truck Is Beating Ford at Its Own Game

It took just 12 months for the Ridgeline to grab 10% of the midsize market.

By
Kyle StockJuly 12, 2017, 4:00 AM EDT

Forget game theory, futurists, and cash-flow models: When it comes to product strategy in today’s auto industry, things need not be so complicated.

Just make some trucks, and Americans will buy them—lots of them.

It helps, of course, if you make a very good truck. Honda did just that when it rolled out a thoroughly redesigned version of its Ridgeline pickup in June 2016. Trailing a string of strong reviews, the carlike pickup has been hugely popular among people who buy trucks, and even among those who don’t.

“This is a very capable truck that meets the needs of a vast majority of buyers,” says Jeff Conrad, general manager of American Honda Motor Co. “For somebody who doesn’t care about towing 8,000 pounds ... it’s perfect.”

In the past 12 months, Honda has sold almost 40,000 Ridgelines in the U.S., accounting for one out of 10 vehicles in the midsize pickup segment. Not only did Honda swipe share from established rivals, but it appears to have brought in new buyers—drivers who traditionally were more inclined to buy an Accord than a Toyota Tacoma.

Conrad said Honda could have easily sold more trucks, but the Lincoln, Ala., plant where it welds them together is already operating at full capacity.

Of course, there’s a big gap in these sales statistics. Ford, the heavyweight champion of the truck game, hasn’t sold a midsize version in the U.S. since 2012. It didn’t want to cannibalize the perpetually stellar sales of its full-size F-150. Plus, it has a nifty line of vans to accommodate painters, plumbers, and other small business—at least that’s the justification former Chief Executive Officer Mark Fields offered a couple of years ago.

Ford has since changed tack. Sometime in 2019, it will unveil an “all-new” version of the Ranger, a little pickup it currently makes in Argentina, South Africa, and Thailand, and sells pretty much everywhere except the U.S. Mike Levine, head of product communications in North America, says this newest iteration of the truck, which used to sell in the U.S., will be built in Michigan.

Waiting 2 years to bring back the Ranger “is what works for us,” says Levine. “We’ve put the focus on F-Series today, including the F-150 ... making it more capable and also more fuel efficient.”

Ford may have to change its formula a bit if it wants to capture some of Honda’s appeal. Most notably, the Ridgeline features the so-called unibody construction that sedans get, giving it more of a feel for the road than most trucks, which have bodies that are bolted on to the frame.

While, the front of the Ridgeline is all business—planted on the road—in the back, it’s a party. The tailgate swings out horizontally, like a door, in addition to dropping down traditionally. There’s a 400-watt outlet for plugging in something like a large-screen television, a series of speakers in the bed, and a compartment under the liner that just happens to be the size and shape of a large cooler. Honda calls it an “in-bed trunk,” though perhaps with a wink, because unlike most trunks, it has a drain.

The Ridgeline's “in-bed trunk” for your refreshments.Source: Honda

At recent car shows, Honda has thrown pretense out the window and filled these tubs with ice and booze, albeit fine champagne rather than light beer. And that’s the real clue to where Honda is headed with the Ridgeline while Ford waits for 2019: “We didn’t want to try to out-tough the tough guys,” Conrad says. “Ford and GM have been doing their type of advertising for many, many years. It’s not really the nature of our truck—or our buyers.”

Last edited by TSX69; 07-13-2017 at 12:11 PM.
TSX69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TSX69 For This Useful Post:
Legend2TL (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #574

^ that's a impressive sales increase over the 1G Ridgeline
Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #575
Registered Member

I bet the 2017 Ridgeline drives and handles great but exterior wise, it looks very feminine with soft lines and non aggressive at all, reminds me of the soft front end of the NSX
Drei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #576

Thanked 1,723 Times in 999 Posts
I think they made a mistake plastering the Pilot's front end on it, but it is an improvement over the 1G. I really like the features though, makes it really stand out from its competitors.

I still remember helping somebody load up like a 60" TV back in the day, it fit in the back with the seat folded up, and had room to spare.

If I were looking for a truck but didn't care about off road capability or towing something heavy, it would be first on my list.
Costco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #577
Registered Member

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,266 Posts
As weird looking as the 1G was... i actually think 1G looks better (for a truck) than the 2G.

Every time i see a new one on the road, i keep thinking it is a Pilot with half the roof cut off.
oonowindoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #578
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costco View Post
I think they made a mistake plastering the Pilot's front end on it, but it is an improvement over the 1G. I really like the features though, makes it really stand out from its competitors.

I still remember helping somebody load up like a 60" TV back in the day, it fit in the back with the seat folded up, and had room to spare.

If I were looking for a truck but didn't care about off road capability or towing something heavy, it would be first on my list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
As weird looking as the 1G was... i actually think 1G looks better (for a truck) than the 2G.

Every time i see a new one on the road, i keep thinking it is a Pilot with half the roof cut off.
Overall, I like the 2G, but the front kills it for me. If it had a more aggressive front end like the 1G I think it would work better.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #579
Registered Member

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,266 Posts
^ for a trunk, the front end is pretty much all there is to it. There is usually not much to see from the side or the back, you know.
oonowindoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #580

Honda probably choose a simple plain exterior design for the 2G since the 1G was kinda polarizing with it's Tonka Truck styling which didn't appeal much to construction workers and traditional work truck users.
The interior with the big control knobs and switches for workers with gloves on didn't work much either despite the marketing attempt.
The Ridgeline is still a transverse V6 FWD/AWD drivetrain with a unibody frame, might as well go for the real target buyers which are people who aren't mainstream truck buyers who want the Honda convenience and truck like utility..
The Following User Says Thank You to Legend2TL For This Useful Post:
00TL-P3.2 (07-17-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #581
Registered Member

US built Honda quality better than Toyota/Nissan.
Quote:
https://www.edmunds.com/honda/ridgel...st-mortem.html

2017 Honda Ridgeline: Death Valley Post-Mortem

This was a huge improvement, even though one shock was a little worse for wear. In isolation, the result may have been dulled by a tinge of disappointment, but the other two trucks our long-term 2016 Nissan Titan XD and 2016 Toyota Tacoma that came along to support the effort fared much, much worse. Next to them, this seemed like a clear win.

The new 2017 Ridgeline has something the first-generation truck did not: amplitude reactive damping. In short, this means the new truck's shocks contain two internal valve circuits: one that operates when wheel motions are small and another that joins in as they grow larger.

This difference expands the performance envelope of the shock absorber. With this extra variable in play, the tuning engineer isn't forced to make as many compromises. Trust me, this is a big deal. I was the guy tuning shock valves in my last two jobs before coming to Edmunds. The process is a black art that boils down to managing compromises imposed by hardware limitations particularly when you're tuning a truck, which is expected to work on a wide range of surfaces.

The precise details of how the second-generation Ridgeline engineers took advantage of this added functionality are not known to me, but I can hazard an educated guess. Our washboard road inputs, vicious as they were in terms of sheer unrelenting repetitiveness, were not terribly large a little more than an inch at the tire. The shock, in turn, only experiences three-quarters of an inch or so because of its motion ratio, its specific mounting position along the length of the suspension's lower control arm.
SSFTSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #582
Registered Member

^ too bad Hyundai doesn't make a truck.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #583
Registered Member

Old 07-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #584

From the Edmunds 2G Ridgeline long term road test series. Pretty cool purpose built tent from REI. Nifty way to go camping.

https://www.edmunds.com/honda/ridgel...n-the-bed.html