2G Honda Pilot =
Old 05-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saw a commercial for the new pilot yesterday, looks mad boring
Old 05-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
^ don't hold your breath for it in person either.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Full Test: 2009 Honda Pilot Touring

The Pilot Gets Tough

By John Pearley Huffman, Contributor
Date posted: 06-24-2008

If the 2009 Honda Pilot proves anything, it's that things have changed over at Honda. One look at the new Pilot's zany front grille announces that the company has unapologetically embraced vehicular embellishment. The overall shape is only slightly less boxy than that of the Jeep Commander, and there are so many creases and character lines in the sheet metal that the new Pilot reminds us of 4,609 pounds of origami.

Albeit manly, butch, abstract-expressionist origami. Because this full-size crossover wants to prove it's a real SUV, tough enough to take on that whole camping, motorcycle-towing, snow-busting outdoor thing even while preserving its family-friendly nature.

The first-generation Pilot looked like a shrunken version of the 1968 International Harvester Travelall. The 2009 Honda Pilot looks like it's ready to star in a futuristic remake of Soylent Green. Still, under the macho posturing you'll find a simple, solid Honda, which is as it should be.

Bigger, Bigger, Bigger
With seating for eight across three rows, the original Pilot was a pretty big machine. And yet the second-generation Honda Pilot is bigger in every way.

Both the overall length and wheelbase of the Pilot have grown 2.9 inches over the original. This stretch shows up in particular with the relatively easy access to the rearmost bench seat — the second-row seats move forward and with a slight squeeze even our standard 76-year-old test woman was able to scramble back there. The third row also benefits from the new Pilot's additional inch of height and width. It's still not what anyone would call "roomy" back in the third row, but there is 1.9 inches more legroom back there than before and even shorter adults can ride for short trips in comfort.

The longer wheelbase also adds some legroom for the second-row passengers (another 1.1 inches) and provides for a significantly larger rear door opening. For a vehicle this size, ingress and egress on the Pilot is exceptional.

Fold all the seats down (both second- and third-row benches are split 60/40) and the 2009 Pilot offers up a full 87 cubic feet of flat-floored cargo room. With the second row up, there's still a generous 47.7 cubic feet available. And when the third row is up, there's 20.8 cubic feet, or just about enough room to haul home four bags of groceries to our growing small children (which they consumed in about 90 minutes). There is also 2.8 cubic feet of hidden storage beneath the cargo floor for things you'd rather not let the world know you're transporting between the leather shop and your home dungeon.

So the new Pilot is bigger. But at least Honda has made that increase in size pay off where it counts.

A Familiar Mechanical Package
Inside the 2009 Honda Pilot's new wrapper you'll find slightly more evolved versions of the previous pieces.

The structure is still a solid unibody gusseted for light off-road work (it's based on the same platform as the Odyssey and its brother, the Acura MDX). The suspension still consists of MacPherson struts up front and an independent multilink system in back. And the transversely mounted engine in the nose is Honda's familiar 3.5-liter V6. The only transmission offered is a version of the same five-speed automatic used in the previous Pilot and the current Odyssey minivan.

The all-wheel-drive option remains Honda's Variable Torque Management Four Wheel Drive (VTM-4), a clever, space-efficient device that uses a computer to distribute torque to the rear wheels according to inputs from an array of sensors. There is no low range, however. Front-wheel drive is offered as standard and it's probably more than adequate for anyone who'll be using their Pilot for mall prowling instead of expeditionary adventures.

Yes, there's more suspension travel than before. Sure, the VTEC-equipped SOHC V6 now makes 250 horsepower instead of 244 and incorporates Honda's Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system that shuts down half the cylinders under light engine load conditions for better fuel economy. Plus the wheels have grown from 16- to 17-inchers with a commensurate increase in tire size. Yet there's nothing startling in this package. And there's nothing startling in the way it behaves either.

We've Driven Here Before
On the test track, the top-of-the-line 2009 Honda Pilot Touring waltzes from zero to 60 mph in an easygoing 9.7 seconds and traipses through the quarter-mile in 17.2 seconds at 81.3 mph. Of course, the transmission is performing hearty, impossible-to-ignore gearchanges that suggest a six-speed transmission (which motivates much of the Pilot's direct competition) would help quicken its acceleration times with some more closely spaced ratios. But in everyday driving the drivetrain's behavior is utterly innocuous.

Unfortunately the new Pilot's expanded size is accompanied by some added pounds. Honda claims that the base model of the 2009 Pilot LX 4x2 weighs 4,319 pounds, a mere 55 pounds over the directly comparable 2008 version. But our scales put this fully equipped 2009 Pilot Touring 4x4 at a thick-waisted 4,609 pounds. And that's just the sort of heft that will tax the P245/65R17 Michelin LTX M/S tires to their limits.

The Pilot proved prone to oversteer in the slalom test, but the steering was quick enough to catch the tail as it rotated around, so the Pilot's 59.4-mph speed is decent for the class. (Its skid pad orbit at 0.76g is also solid.) Under braking, however, the Pilot's nose heads for the pavement and a stop from 60 takes a daunting 149 feet. And fade is apparent as well, with subsequent stops getting longer and longer, the pedal feeling squishier and squishier, and the front brake pads smelling stinkier and stinkier. More aggressive, street-oriented tires would likely chop down this distance, and Honda might want to sic a squadron of tweaking engineers on the brakes and assess the interface with the standard ABS system.

The Riot Inside
The new Pilot Touring's seats are among the very most comfortable in any new vehicle we've experienced — well-shaped, beautifully stitched in leather and easy to adjust to any sort of body type. But they face the wackiest dashboard Honda has ever put in consumer product.

Start counting up the different dashboard surface finishes and you quickly start running out of fingers. There's some backlit blue plastic in the middle that looks like an IKEA kitchen display, black plastic, gray plastic, vanilla-color plastic and white gauge faces. It's a riot of shapes and finishes that only grows more wearying the longer you live with it. Fortunately base LX and uplevel EX versions aren't quite so overdecorated as the Touring, but they're still much more stylized than the essentially (and pleasantly) style-free dashboard of the original Pilot.

Fortunately Honda hasn't lost its touch for locating all the switches logically, and the quality of all the surfaces (no matter what their color) is exceptionally high. There's also plenty of storage including a divisible center console that seems big enough to swallow a Wal-Mart. Like the previous Pilot — and most other Hondas — this new Pilot has an interior that's highly usable and that will likely last for decades in good shape. If only it weren't so nutty in many of its design cues.

The instrumentation is large and easily read, though the light-color gauges do wash out a bit in harsh sunlight. There is a small green "ECO" light that comes on every time the engine cuts down on its cylinder use, as if the Pilot just can't wait to brag about its environmental credentials. But it's really just an irritating idiot light that distracts the driver. When something goes wrong, then the light should illuminate; otherwise, it's just a pain.

High-End Computing
With GPS now migrating onto cell phones, it's an open question whether any satellite navigation system is worth any price in any car. Still, however, what Honda has stuffed into the new Pilot Touring's center stack is an impressive conglomeration of electronics.

The stereo sounds brilliant and includes a CD changer, XM Satellite Radio receiver, auxiliary input and a USB port to hook up an iPod (even the iPhone works surprisingly well with Honda's sound system). And the navigation system, white elephant though it might be, works intuitively and easily. The rear-seat DVD player is also well designed and positioned, even if the kids are now watching videos on PSPs and other handheld (and much cheaper) devices.

This may be as good as it gets for onboard entertainment systems. Yet it seems unlikely any of it will be technologically relevant by the end of a three-year lease.

Slurp
Honda has become the go-to car company for anyone looking for excellent fuel economy in an attractive package. But the new Pilot has the distinction of being one Honda with a thirst for hydrocarbons. The EPA rates the all-wheel-drive 2009 Pilot at 16 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway — slightly better than the 2008 Pilot due mostly to the VCM system. Considering current fuel prices, it's enough of an appetite that people who don't absolutely need the Pilot's eight-passenger capability might consider looking at a CR-V instead.

The 2009 Honda Pilot does everything the original one did and then adds a little extra room for everybody. It rides well, it's quiet, the engine is smooth and it handles decently within its modest limits. The new exterior look doesn't grab us the right way, but at least this doesn't interfere with the essential utility of this massively useful, relatively large SUV.

Our assessment is that most buyers would probably find the less ornate LX or EX Pilots better long-term companions than the Touring. Besides not being burdened with quite so many self-conscious styling gimmicks, the lower-end Pilots aren't encrusted with electronics that are already headed for obsolescence, they offer exactly the same level of mechanical slickness and they cost a lot less than this $40,665 test vehicle.

Honda should, once again, keep it simple.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 06-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by phile
^ don't hold your breath for it in person either.
yeah 2 more commericals tonight,
Old 02-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post 2012 Spy Shots

The grille on the current Pilot has never been popular, but we've just spied a prototype that shows Honda will be trying a new design.

Honda's midcycle change on the Pilot looks to consist of a new grille, new front bumper and a new lower fascia. In back, there appears to be modest changes to the rear bumper and the towing setup.

Inside, it appears that Honda has a major change planned for the center stack. Watch for the official debut in the 1st quarter of this year.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Old 02-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Isuzu Trooper deja vu
Old 02-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

I hope the interior is remade to Honda standards. I was very disappointed when I sat in one when they came out. That's the only thing keeping me from liking the Pilot.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I never warmed up to this gen Pilot. I really hope the next one is better, inside and out. That grille has got to go.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I never warmed up to this gen Pilot.
Agreed. Always thought it was brutally ugly and this MMC doesn't seem to help. The headlights going into the hood looks terrible. And the interior was unbelievably cheap IMO.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I never warmed up to this gen Pilot. I really hope the next one is better, inside and out. That grille has got to go.
Seems to be a reoccurring theme with Honda/Acura
Old 02-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

In one of the most popular segments in all of cardome (midsize SUV/crossover), I don't get why the Pilot is so meh.

IMO the Americans now lead the segment (which isn't a bad thing)...Traverse, Flex, Edge, Grand Cherokee, etc... Even the Highlander is nicer than the Pilot...
Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

First gen Pilot was "ok"

Current gen went 2 steps backwards in design.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've always thought the Highlander and Pilot were the most over achieving SUV's in their segments. Neither one is good looking, nor do they have class leading power/fuel economy or features.

I agree with Type34, I would take an American SUV any day over Asian.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Advanced

I wish they would have done more with the front! We might see a new grill but I dont think alone that can save the front
Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Pinky all stinky

i was hoping they'd tone down the those bug eye headlights. Jeez those things are huge
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
I've always thought the Highlander and Pilot were the most over achieving SUV's in their segments. Neither one is good looking, nor do they have class leading power/fuel economy or features.

I agree with Type34, I would take an American SUV any day over Asian.
When we first got our 2003, I thought pretty much the same thing. It was not that attractive, and got less gas mileage than a Oddy (my wife refused to drive a mini-van). However after owning one for awhile I can really appreciate all the great things about the Pilot. It's really easy to drive compared to American SUV's I've driven (not many, but a few).
Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Type34

In one of the most popular segments in all of cardome (midsize SUV/crossover), I don't get why the Pilot is so meh.

IMO the Americans now lead the segment (which isn't a bad thing)...Traverse, Flex, Edge, Grand Cherokee, etc... Even the Highlander is nicer than the Pilot...
As an owner of a Pilot, the reason why I like it is because it's reasonably priced, seats 8 people, yet is only about the length of a Honda Accord - fits easily in my garage (not possible with an Odyssey or larger SUV), could hold like a 4x7 ft sheet of plywood (not quite 8 ft), has a ton of interior space, drives fairly smoothly, accelerates briskly despite it's V6, has a super tight turning radius (easily as small as my BMW 3 series) and just plain works.

When the Pilot/MDX came out, it was the only mid-size SUV with seating for 7 or 8. Now, virtually every mid-size SUV tries to copy the Pilot's formula for success.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I think the 1G MMC Pilot was best. Looks like the 2G MMC Pilot is going to be pretty half-assed, nothing new with the way recent Hondas have been coming out.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 AM
B A N N E D

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like both the original Pilot, and the new Pilot.

Items I don't like on the new version.

When the new Pilot came out and I was at the dealership looking at it, the first thing I noticed when sitting in the driver's seat is how much higher the dash, hood, and bottom edge of the windows are. Sitting back to back from old to new, the original Pilot has a vastly superior driving position, and views out the front.

Honda needs to lower the hood, lower the dash, and give us bigger windows.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Mmc

Honda, like airline companies, likes its Pilots to be sober, and there’s nothing to raise a pulse in the 2012 Pilot, which the company has just revealed via a single photo. But for the vast number of Americans—and many of our own staffers—who appreciate the current Pilot and the innocuous, reliable, and easy way it transports up to 8 people and their stuff, this is no bad thing.

Up front, the seemingly Battlestar Galactica–inspired fascia seen on the current model is mostly gone, replaced with a rather plain face for 2012. A 3-slat grille has been installed, while the lower edge and fog lights are redesigned.

It’s the changes we can’t see—from Honda’s first picture of the new Pilot, at least—that comprise the significant upgrades to the 3-row crossover for 2012. Honda promises that the Pilot’s fuel economy will improve, and we expect that this will largely be attributable to a 6-speed automatic transmission taking the place of last year’s 5-cog unit. We’re also told that the car’s interior has been freshened, with “upgraded” navigation and audio systems. Given that antiquated nav systems and hard-to-navigate radio units have been one of Honda’s most glaring faults in the past several years, we’re glad to hear that some kind of change has been made—although we’ll be eager to try the new setups out for ourselves.

Beyond some new paint colors and a new wheel design, the rest of the 2012 Pilot is about the same as it was in 2011. The automaker says this refreshed model will begin arriving at dealers in September.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Invisible
I like both the original Pilot, and the new Pilot.

Items I don't like on the new version.

When the new Pilot came out and I was at the dealership looking at it, the first thing I noticed when sitting in the driver's seat is how much higher the dash, hood, and bottom edge of the windows are. Sitting back to back from old to new, the original Pilot has a vastly superior driving position, and views out the front.

Honda needs to lower the hood, lower the dash, and give us bigger windows.
Agree, I like some of the 2G Pilot's features but they definitely raised the hood and other parts too much.

We went to dinner Saturday night with 7 people in my wife's Pilot. It's quite handy having a vehicle that can haul up to 8 people when needed.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Pinky all stinky

talk about vanilla styling. not that the original 2nd gen Pilot was a looker, but this one regresses even further into anonymity.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

meh
Old 07-25-2011, 12:48 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
The new grill is an improvement.

The block rear of the current Pilot always reminds me of those on Jeeps, but since I kinda like the blocky style, I like the current Pilot more than its predecessor.

Good to see that they are improving the interior.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Holy humongous headlights! They just dominate the front fascia... it looks just as "Battlestar Galactica" as the pre-MMC.

The 1st gen looked the better IMO, even though looked like a CR-V on HGH.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:14 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
For some reason this thing looks "old" I can't place it directly, but it feels like it's already a mid '00s design instead of a recent refresh.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

They needed to fix those headlights IMO. I guess it still sells relatively well, why spend money on the MMC, its not a TL.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Pinky all stinky

they need to fix that whole entire front end. not just talking about the design either, they need to look into functionality. i know they're going for the block look, but as previously mentioned, the sight over the hood line is pretty bad compared to the first gen. they need to slope it down further, make it more aerodynamic cause right now it's about even with a yellow school bus.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Agree the whole thing is a mess. Which is probably why they didn't do much with the MMC. It needed too much work to bother. See post 284 at the top of this page. Honda knew it made a mistake when they released this thing.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Corn-Fed Mule

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pilot's front end reminds me of this guy for some reason...
Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Waiting for Honda to hire new designers.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:25 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by neuronbob

Waiting for Honda to hire new designers.
You're going to be waiting for a while...
Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I honestly believe the only handsome Honda being made right now is the Fit. Some think it's ugly but I've always liked them. They're borderline cute; it's almost the kind of car you could give a name.

And having driven the Pilot at work, I can say the designers at Honda went absolutely apeshit on the buttons, something that also afflicts the Accord and to a certain degree, the Odyssey.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:57 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

TL and TSX too.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
I honestly believe the only handsome Honda being made right now is the Fit. Some think it's ugly but I've always liked them. They're borderline cute; it's almost the kind of car you could give a name.

And having driven the Pilot at work, I can say the designers at Honda went absolutely apeshit on the buttons, something that also afflicts the Accord and to a certain degree, the Odyssey.
It's only a matter of time before some genius at Honda decides to update the Fit with a grill like that of the Crosstour....'cause that's what Honda buyers want.
The following users liked this post:
PortlandRL (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
It's only a matter of time before some genius at Honda decides to update the Fit with a grill like that of the Crosstour....'cause that's what Honda buyers want.
The 2012 refresh is likely going to wreck the last good thing Honda had going for it. I read an article somewhere that compared the Fit to the original Civic and said that it was the only car Honda still made that carried the same spirit of practical, fun, fuel efficient and good-looking for very little coin. I almost don't even want to see it and I would LOVE to be wrong.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Press Release

The Honda Pilot 8-passenger SUV receives a wide range of upgrades for 2012 with a sleeker front-end design, enhanced interior features and an EPA highway fuel economy rating of 25 mpg on 2-wheel-drive models, an increase of 2 mpg compared to 2011 models.

The new styling for the front fascia, with its three-bar chrome-style grille, conveys a more sophisticated crossover SUV appearance. Interior styling changes focus on instrument panel refinement and a more intuitive button layout. For 2012, audio system upgrades on Pilot EX and EX-L models include a 2 GB CD-Library (CD-L) and Bluetooth® Audio Streaming, along with the addition of Bluetooth HandsFreeLink® to those trim levels.

Feature upgrades on the Pilot EX-L include the addition of a full-color 8-inch intelligent Multi-Information Display (i-MID) for audio and vehicle information. Models equipped with the available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System for 2012 receive subscription-free FM Traffic, 15 GB audio hard disk drive memory (HDD), and a higher-resolution display.

The fuel economy gains for 2012 result from combined improvements to the powertrain, chassis and vehicle aerodynamics. The 250 horsepower i-VTEC V-6 engine includes additional measures for friction reduction and improved efficiency. The 2012 Pilot becomes quieter with additional noise insulation and other enhancements throughout the vehicle.

Body
The 2012 Pilot's new grille and front fascia replace the prior model's 6-sided grille insert with a distinctive three-bar horizontal design. Reconfigured multi-reflector halogen headlights and turn signals contribute to the new look with a layout that relocates the turn signal from an outboard position to an inboard position within the headlight housing. A new front air dam and optimized strakes (the rectangular air deflector in front of the wheels) help reduce frontal area and unwanted air turbulence, both of which impact fuel economy. Rounding out the exterior design changes, Pilot EX and above models receive an all-new 5-spoke, 18-inch aluminum alloy wheel design (plus 1-inch compared to the previous model). Pilot Touring alloy wheels feature an exclusive 8-spoke design with a high-contrast machined surface. Pilot LX models are equipped with 17-inch styled-steel wheels.

Exterior dimensions for 2012 are similar to 2011 with identical measurements for width (78.5 inches), height (71.0 inches for Pilot LX and 72.7 inches for Pilot EX, EX-L and Touring) wheelbase (109.2 inches) and track (front 67.7 / rear 67.5 inches). Overall length increases 0.5 inches to 191.4 inches as a result of the front styling changes. Ground clearance is basically the same at 7.97 inches, down slightly from 8.00 inches in the previous model.

Interior
Interior styling changes are designed to increase refinement throughout the cabin while also enhancing the intuitive nature of the controls. The instrument panel uses a more unified color theme with less contrast between panels. A glossy black center panel for audio controls replaces the high-contrast silver panel of the previous model. Speedometer and tachometer gauge faces incorporate a new look with distinct segments surrounding each meter's perimeter, along with white background illumination for nighttime driving instead of the previous model's aqua-blue background illumination. The redesigned center stack adds a subtle U-shaped character line and different textures to create a layered effect on the panel. Ideal for phones and audio players, a larger center storage pocket is 0.4-inches taller. A simplified layout for the climate controls replaces some of the buttons with dials for a more intuitive, easy-to-use overall design.

The top of the center stack on each Pilot model contains a unique display that varies by model. Pilot LX and EX models contain a three-line display. Pilot EX-L models for 2012 (without navigation) receive the new i-MID, which provides a convenient platform for integration of vehicle information and compatible personal electronics through a color LCD screen and intuitive steering wheel controls. The Pilot EX-L rearview camera display appears in the i-MID and includes guidelines for judging parking distance. The i-MID also shows HandsFreeLink® operation, user-loaded wallpaper such as photos, a fuel-economy display and an audio interface.

Available on Pilot EX-L and standard on Touring, the 2012 Pilot adopts the latest version of the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™2. Now with 60 GB of total system memory (includes 15 GB allocated for user media) and voice recognition for 3 languages, this system uses multiple global positioning satellites covering all of the U.S. including Alaska and Hawaii, as well as Canada and Puerto Rico. Its new FM Traffic feature provides free, continuous updates on traffic and incidents, helping drivers avoid gridlock. The hard drive can store thousands of minutes of music, which is accessible by simple voice commands using the Song By Voice™ feature. Additionally, 2012 Pilot models with navigation feature a multi-view rear camera (wide view, normal view and top-down view), with the image displayed on the navigation screen for convenient parking help when in Reverse.

Adding to the comfort level of the 2012 Pilot is a reduction in noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). Enhanced body seam sealing around the unit-body connection points, and re-tuned rear suspension sub-frame mounts, result in lower noise levels in the passenger cabin. Other specific NVH countermeasures include body-seam sealants to reduce air leaks, enhanced pillar separators, revised insulation materials and acoustic windshield glass on all models.

The tailgate features a lift-up glass hatch for convenient access to the rearmost cargo area. The model's 18.0 cubic-feet of cargo space behind the third row matches or exceeds the trunk space of a typical large sedan and can accommodate items as large as a mid-size cooler or a folded stroller. For maximum cargo space, the 2nd and 3rd rows fold flat into the floor to create 87.0 cubic feet of storage capacity, while also providing sufficient width for 4-foot-wide items.

The cargo area has a hidden storage well that provides 2.8 cu-ft. of additional space and can combine with the above floor storage area by securing the hinged cover against the seatback. The Pilot Touring also provides a load-supporting cargo net (20 lbs. maximum weight) to further subdivide the rear cargo area.

Key interior dimensions are identical to the previous Pilot model, including front headroom (40.0 in. for Pilot LX and EX, 39.3 in. for moonroof-equipped Pilot EX-L and Touring), 2nd-row headroom (39.8 in.) and rear headroom (38.2 in.), legroom (front 41.4 in., 2nd-row 38.5 in., and 3rd-row 32.1 in.). Passenger volumes are likewise identical (153.7 cu-ft. for Pilot LX and EX, 152.7 cu-ft. for Pilot EX-L and Touring), as are cargo volumes (87.0 cu-ft. total, 47.7 cu-ft. behind 2nd-row seats, and 18.0 cu-ft. behind 3rd-row seats).

Safety
Safety technology includes the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure that helps reduce the amount of crash energy reaching the passenger compartment and can enhance frontal collision compatibility. Additional safety equipment includes three-row side curtain airbags with a rollover sensor, driver's and front passenger's side airbags with passenger-side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS), active front seat head restraints and anti-lock brakes with electronic brake distribution and brake assist. Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®), commonly referred to as Electronic Stability Control, is standard on all models. The 2012 Pilot also meets new federal regulations with taller rear head restraints.

Honda has targeted the new Pilot to achieve best-in-class safety ratings, including a NHTSA 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score, and a TOP SAFETY PICK designation from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reflecting the institute's new procedures for Front Offset, Side Impact Collision Evaluation (SICE), Roof Crush and Head Restraint tests.

Powertrain
Power comes from an advanced 24-valve, all-aluminum engine with "intelligent" Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (i-VTEC) technology with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM). The VCM system allows the V-6 engine to operate in 6-cylinder mode for power and 4- or 3-cylinder modes for efficiency. Fuel economy improves for 2012 with an EPA-estimated1 city/highway/combined fuel economy of 17/24/20 mpg on 4-wheel-drive models and 18/25/21 mpg on 2-wheel-drive models. Representing a 1-mpg increase in City, a 2-mpg increase in Highway and a 2-mpg increase in Combined, this gives the 2012 Pilot 2WD the highest fuel economy of any 8-passenger SUV and the Pilot 4WD the highest fuel economy for any mid-size 4WD SUV.

Fuel-efficiency enhancements include the application of engine friction-reduction technologies including a plateau-honed engine block, low-friction piston treatments, ion-plated oil rings and a load-variable alternator. The use of dual-electrode spark plugs, 0W-20 low-friction oil and low-friction automatic transmission fluid contribute to higher efficiency. The VCM operation range has also been expanded.

The 5-speed automatic transmission features Grade Logic Control to help maintain the most appropriate gear when going uphill or downhill, thereby avoiding gear "hunting." The available VTM-4 system on Pilot 4WD models adds fully automatic 4-wheel-drive capability. VTM-4 delivers seamless, "decision-free" application of 4-wheel-drive when needed, a key benefit compared to conventional systems. The system also provides a "lock mode" – available when in 1st or 2nd gears up to 18 mph and activated by a button on the instrument panel – that can deliver the maximum-possible torque transfer to the rear wheels to aid in extraction from extremely low traction or stuck conditions.

Chassis
The suspension is a fully independent system with front MacPherson strut and rear multi-link with trailing arm designs that contribute to responsive driving characteristics for an SUV. The 109.2-inch wheelbase facilitates a smooth ride. A tight turning diameter of 37.9 feet aids maneuverability in tight parking situations.

Chassis improvements that directly improve fuel economy include a variable-displacement power steering pump, low-rolling-resistance tires, and low-drag front ventilated and rear disc brakes. Improved aerodynamics, the front strakes, splash shields and inner fenders, and reduced frontal area also contribute to improved fuel economy.

Models and Features
As with the prior model year, the 2012 Pilot is available in four model choices (Pilot LX, EX, EX-L and Touring), and each is offered in either 2-wheel-drive or 4-wheel-drive configuration.

Pilot LX
Standard comfort and convenience features on the Pilot LX include a front and rear air conditioning system with air-filtration system, keyless entry with simplified operation, tilt and telescope steering column, cruise control, power windows with auto-up/down driver's and passenger's window, power door and tailgate locks, AM/FM/CD stereo system with seven speakers including a subwoofer and Radio Data System (RDS), trip computer, heat-rejecting tinted glass, integrated Class III towing receiver, and more. For 2012, the Pilot LX adds AAC audio file playback capability from data discs to the CD player.

Pilot EX
The Pilot EX adds a tri-zone automatic climate control system with humidity control and air filtration, a power driver's seat with 10-way power adjustment with lumbar support, security system, XM Radio®5, body-colored side mirrors and door handles, alloy wheels, roof rails, fog lights, exterior temperature indicator, HomeLink® Remote System, and more. For 2012, the Pilot EX now also features Bluetooth HandsFreeLink (previously exclusive to EX-L with Navi and above models), Bluetooth audio streaming and a new 2 GB CD Library (CD-L) replaces the previous 6-disc CD changer.

Pilot EX-L

Additional Pilot EX-L features include leather-trimmed seating surfaces, heated front seats, 4-way power front passenger's seat, one-touch power moonroof, an automatic-dimming rearview mirror and the availability of either the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™2 or the Honda DVD Rear Entertainment System with a 9-inch screen. The addition of either the navigation or the entertainment system also adds a 115-volt power outlet. New for 2012 is the addition of a power tailgate to the Pilot EX-L, a USB Audio Interface, and an intelligent Multi-Information Display (i-MID) with QVGA resolution. The i-MID includes a rearview camera display, iPod album artwork display and a user-loadable wallpaper function.

Pilot EX-L with Navigation
The Pilot EX-L with Navigation adds an upgraded navigation system with higher VGA resolution replacing the previous QVGA display and an internal hard drive that replaces the previous model's DVD-based system. New features include FM Traffic, Song by Voice™, rearview camera with a 3-mode display and a Multi-Information Display in the center of the gauge cluster.

Pilot Touring
The top-of-the-line Pilot Touring includes the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™2 with rearview camera, a Premium Audio System with 10 speakers, Bluetooth HandsFreeLink4 and Audio Streaming (with selected phones), the Honda DVD Rear Entertainment System, two-position memory seats, roof rails, corner and backup sensors, side-mirror integrated turn indicators and more.

Colors available for 2012 include Alabaster Silver Metallic, Bali Blue Pearl, Crystal Black Pearl, Dark Cherry Pearl, Polished Metal Metallic, Taffeta White, White Diamond Pearl, new Dark Amber Metallic (replaces Mocha Metallic) and new Glacier White (Pilot Touring). Fabric and leather interior color choices, which are matched to selected exterior colors, include beige, black or gray.

Awards and Accolades
From building initial quality impressions to providing fun-to-drive character with lasting durability and reliability, the Pilot carries forward the essential DNA that defines all Honda vehicles. These traits have previously earned the Pilot multiple awards, including "Best Value of the Year" from IntelliChoice, Edmunds.com's "Most Wanted SUV," and it was named one of Kelley Blue Book's "Top 50 Most Popular Cars." The Honda brand has also won the Edmunds.com “Best Retained Value Award” for Non-Luxury Brands.

The Pilot is assembled from domestic and globally sourced parts at Honda Manufacturing of Alabama in Lincoln, Alabama. Honda R&D Americas designed and developed the Pilot in Raymond, Ohio, and Torrance, California. The 2012 model became available for sale on August 31.
2012 Pilot Feature Change Summary

All-new front fascia, grille and headlights
New 18-inch aluminum wheels (17-inch styled steel on Pilot LX)
Upgraded interior materials and revised instrument panel with new center stack layout
Acoustic windshield glass (previously exclusive to Pilot EX-L and Touring)
Upgraded audio and available navigation systems
Improved EPA-estimated1 fuel economy (+1 mpg City/+2 mpg Highway/+2 mpg Combined)

Pilot LX adds:

AAC audio file playback from data discs to the CD player

Pilot EX adds or replaces:

18-inch aluminum wheels and P235/60R18 all-season tires
Bluetooth HandsFreeLink and Bluetooth audio streaming
2 GB CD Library (CD-L)

Pilot EX-L adds or replaces:

Power tailgate
Intelligent Multi-Information Display (i-MID) with QVGA resolution (includes backup camera display, album artwork display and user-loadable wallpaper function)
USB Audio Interface

Pilot EX-L with Navigation adds or replaces:

Upgraded navigation system with higher VGA resolution and 60-GB hard drive (includes 15 GB audio hard drive memory) and FM Traffic
Song by Voice™
Wide-view rearview camera with 3-mode display

Basic Specs:

Engine: 3.5-liter 24-valve SOHC i-VTEC® V-6
Horsepower: 250 hp @ 5,700 rpm
Torque: 253 lb-ft. @ 4,800 rpm
EPA-estimated1 fuel economy, City/Hwy/Comb.: 17/24/20 (4WD), 18/25/21 (2WD)
Seating capacity: 8
Passenger volume: 153.7 cu-ft.
Cargo volume: 18.0 cu-ft. (minimum), 87.0 cu-ft. (maximum)
Towing capacity: 4,500 lbs. (4WD), 2,000 lbs. (2WD)3
Standard airbags: Driver's and front-passenger's dual-stage, multiple-threshold front airbags; driver's and front passenger's side airbags with passenger-side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS); and 3-row side-curtain airbags with rollover sensor
Standard Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) and an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution and Brake Assist
Additional media information including detailed pricing features and high-resolution photography of the 2012 Honda Pilot is available at www.hondanews.com. Consumer information is available at automobiles.honda.com/pilot.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
Invisible (08-31-2011), Legend2TL (08-31-2011)

Quick Reply: Honda: Pilot News